Why do people fear 'power creep'?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Eain.7825

Eain.7825

Here’s what I don’t get.

Levelling in GW2 is easy, especially if you’re lucky enough to find a few crafting boosters in your black lion chests. Yesterday I logged in to my level 74 necromancer and had enough mats in the back from levelling my warrior to 80 and getting her decked out that I could level my necro’s artificing and tailoring to 400 from 350ish in one go, thereby getting me all the experience I needed to hit 80.

I went from 74 to 80 in ~25 minutes time, counting the minutes spent running back and forth between black lion and the hoelbrak crafting stations to get additional mats for discoveries (putrid essences and such).

I now own the game for just over a month and a half and I have two level 80’s, my warrior who’s decked in exotics and my necromancer who when I woke up was level 74 in assorted greens and blues and 25 minutes later was 80 wearing all rares. For my necromancer all I now have left to do is, basically, get exotics, but I’ve got enough karma to buy the ones I need from the temple vendors in Orr and I’ve got enough ectos and gossamer stored to craft the ones I need from tailoring. If I want I can be kitted out in full exotics a week from now, days even, and then I’d still have cash to spare to buy orichalcum rings on black lion.

Levelling in this game is easy.

Getting max gear at level 80 is easy.

Aesthetic upgrades would be interesting if there were enough armour models to go around, but even then, why would I want to keep transmuting different looks onto the same armour? Not to mention that at some point you’re going to run out of transmutation stones because you’ve got all zones explored.

Basically the only thing you can really do in this game is level a new char, but if you went for 100% world explore on your first like I did then it becomes an exercise in repetition.

The only thing I could possibly want to achieve at this point is a legendary weapon. I could get one by not logging in more than one to two hours a day over the coming months and just gradually working my way towards it.

I don’t consider logging in for one to two hours a day to get a weapon I’ll never actually really use (because when I have it I have everything and the last thing I want to do is grind places with it that have nothing left to offer) as ‘playing’ a game. I want to play guild wars 2. I don’t want to meander through it.

Power creep is the only solution. There always has to be something to chase. There have to be better items, better upgrades, more things to do. As it stands Guild Wars 2 is a game where I could within 3 to 4 months have 5 exoticed 80’s, all of different classes. If I achieve that I’m done. I literally have nothing more to do.

It seems to me that people fear power creep because they’re afraid they might not be able to get those items while others are. I’ll tell you something about these supposed ‘others’: in a game where there’s nothing to do, they don’t exist. Even in my own guild people are pretty much only online when we agree to do a dungeon to give ourselves the illusion we’re still playing this game. It’s dead otherwise. What’s wrong with giving people an incentive to keep playing? Because I promise you that your single item-level gear utopia is going to be a very deserted one.

Posted by: shynu.7081

shynu.7081

try killing rag back in classic WoW or doing BWL with fire resist or that dem cloak. lol

Posted by: Mavaho.1046

Mavaho.1046

We don’t make grindy games — we leave the grind to other MMOs
-Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

Posted by: nachtnebel.9168

nachtnebel.9168

The fact there is nothing you have to do is what made GW1 so great, you could just log in, do what ever you wanted and then maybe played something else for the next two, three or even six month without losing power. This is what most of the old community expected GW2 to be like too.

The worst thing about the power creep or gear treadmill is that it is absolutely unnecessary. You don’t need increasing stats to do new or harder content cause mechanics don’t care about numbers, they work no matter if you have 20k or 50k HP.

Salix Babylonica (Necro), Tharnath (Guardian), N Faculty (Mesmer),
Occam Pi (Ele), Acaena Elongata (Warrior), Finja Salversdotir (Ranger),
Bytestream (Engineer), Vim Whitespace (Thief)

Posted by: Pandemic.3516

Pandemic.3516

the only reason is because people kitten about wanting new content then want to kitten even more when its released because its not “exactly what they want”.

if we didn’t have a power creep when new content was released people would fly through it in a day or two and complain when there is nothing to do again, a power creep gives the dev atleast a few weeks even months before the excessive whining starts on the forums.

all I see in these forums are whiners, what happened to loving the game in the BWEs?

I feel sorry for whoever monitors the forums, must make them feel real good about there game when all they see if people whinging, bugs are fair enough but when people start going nuts over new content… it really doesn’t give them much incentive to release new stuff if all there going to get is more hate.

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

For I could care less but for one thing. I preperchased this game way before launch based on principles that this game was going to be designed by. They have just changed one of those main tenants 3 months after launch – basically a bait and switch type scam.
That is what is annoying to me. I also now bet that pay 2 win in the store is not far off either.

Pandemic.3516

The fact there is nothing you have to do is what made GW1 so great, you could just log in, do what ever you wanted and then maybe played something else for the next two, three or even six month without losing power. This is what most of the old community expected GW2 to be like too.

The worst thing about the power creep or gear treadmill is that it is absolutely unnecessary. You don’t need increasing stats to do new or harder content cause mechanics don’t care about numbers, they work no matter if you have 20k or 50k HP.

this post is bs.

you could get level 20 gear in gw1 that was weak as piss and you would be slaughtered everywhere you went. you had to work extremely hard to be on a competing level. gw2 makes it so easy that those exotics people are complaining about being useless probably took no more than a week to get a full set.

I would love to see someone get max gear at max level in gw1 in a week or two.

Posted by: Amra.6028

Amra.6028

Can’t remember when I last read such an epic amount of BS.
1/10 would not bang.

Pandemic.3516

For I could care less but for one thing. I preperchased this game way before launch based on principles that this game was going to be designed by. They have just changed one of those main tenants 3 months after launch – basically a bait and switch type scam.
That is what is annoying to me. I also now bet that pay 2 win in the store is not far off either.

a scam?

what would have happened if they release just new looks in the armour and you didn’t like those looks.

you would have whinged.

it doesn’t matter what they would have done with the gear in this update, if YOU didn’t like it you would have whined and make it out as the worst thing known to man.

you aren’t forced to get that gear, basically it has the same stats as exotics because you cant put runes on that gear and the agony stat at the moment is only in that dungeon.

Posted by: Kangee.7890

Kangee.7890

In gw1 you actually did go obsolete when not playing for some months, not because of armor maybe, but because of the addition of new skills and the way the meta shiftet. You couldn’t just jump into any part of gw1 after being away for 6 months. That’s an after construction

nachtnebel.9168

the only reason is because people kitten about wanting new content then want to kitten even more when its released because its not “exactly what they want”.

if we didn’t have a power creep when new content was released people would fly through it in a day or two and complain when there is nothing to do again, a power creep gives the dev atleast a few weeks even months before the excessive whining starts on the forums.

Besides that this concept worked very welle for GW1 for over 7 years. There are a lot of players form the old GW1 community here and they don’t complain about content being easy accessible.

all I see in these forums are whiners, what happened to loving the game in the BWEs?

Well, it seems like this game isn’t anymore what it was during the BWEs. If Arena Net had told us back then what they were up to we had told them that we don’t like it.

I feel sorry for whoever monitors the forums, must make them feel real good about there game when all they see if people whinging, bugs are fair enough but when people start going nuts over new content… it really doesn’t give them much incentive to release new stuff if all there going to get is more hate.

I thinkg the old community doesn’t count a power creep to be new content. We are happy to get a new dungeon, we just don’t like the gear treadmill and gating that comes with it.

Posted by: showatt.9413

showatt.9413

Besides that this concept worked very welle for GW1 for over 7 years. There are a lot of players form the old GW1 community here and they don’t complain about content being easy accessible.

Well, it seems like this game isn’t anymore what it was during the BWEs. If Arena Net had told us back then what they were up to we had told them that we don’t like it.

I thinkg the old community doesn’t count a power creep to be new content. We are happy to get a new dungeon, we just don’t like the gear treadmill and gating that comes with it.

We, we, we….

Sorry, but if people aren’t getting bored there’s no way Anet would re-evaluate their entire design philosophy.

When it comes to game design, especially if its a ‘fundamental’ design philosophy, game developers wouldn’t even touch it just because a few people are whining. Do people whine about Dark Soul being too hard? Yes. Did From Soft release an easy mode? No.

Why?

Because their game’s popular as hell and there’s simply isn’t the need.
Tell you what if Dark Soul is difficult to the point where people aren’t buying the game and new cash (player) aren’t rolling in, you can expect an easy mode to come out in a matter of month.

Have a little sympathy for game developers.
Especially a competent one who actively keep their players updated like Anet.

Sales aren’t meeting their expectation. People are getting bored. And active player must have reflected it to a point they HAD to try something new.

Either you display a little understanding and sympathy and accept the change, help improvise the change instead of endlessly chanting “THIS ISN”T WHAT YOU PROMISED" , and pray that Anet could earn some of the popularity they had at launch so they don’t have to try something worse -

Or don’t. And keep feeling betrayed.
Because the game is moving on. Changes are coming. Nothing you do will stop it.

Posted by: Amra.6028

Amra.6028

Either you display a little understanding and sympathy and accept the change, help improvise the change instead of endlessly chanting “THIS ISN”T WHAT YOU PROMISED" , and pray that Anet could earn some of the popularity they had at launch so they don’t have to try something worse -

Or:
Just make sure no one you know will ever again buy from ANet or NCSoft, thereby contributing to their end – which is, in case the changes turn out to be the NGE of GW2 – well deserved.

showatt.9413

a scam?

what would have happened if they release just new looks in the armour and you didn’t like those looks.

you would have whinged.

it doesn’t matter what they would have done with the gear in this update, if YOU didn’t like it you would have whined and make it out as the worst thing known to man.

you aren’t forced to get that gear, basically it has the same stats as exotics because you cant put runes on that gear and the agony stat at the moment is only in that dungeon.

Know what, ppl gonna whine anyway, so why not at least stay true to the principles of the game and lose the WoWbabby-whiners instead of backstabbing your playerbase for some CoD downsyndrome-facemelters?

Like I have mentioned endless times before, it has nothing to do with whine.

Developers aren’t stupid. They’re not gonna re design the game just because a few people whine.

They do it because the record in their hands indicate that – not just a few people like you have presumed – a lot of players are getting bored of grinding for skin. People aren’t as interested in skins as the GW1 purists, and the player population must have declined to a point where they had to do something.

I’m sorry, but if your so called “player base” is enough to keep the game afloat, and if grinding for skins is actually keeping the player interested as much as you claimed it should, then there’s no reason why they would change it.

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

GW2 is a game without monthly fee like skyrim, COD or whatever PS3 games or xbox games. Once i bought it, i played through all contents then what else? nothing! You either keep playing or find another game, easy. Why do i have to expect more contents and gear grind again and again?

I played Skyrim, once i get the top tier gear and i knew this is the maximum stat i get, do i expect the dev release higher tier gear? Nope.

But if Anet decided to have more tier gear based on expansion contents, then it is fine as long as i can play casually to obtain the new gear.

Posted by: Graill.8596

Graill.8596

There shouldnt be levels, everything should wear out (everything), everything should be attainable and dungeons should be adjustable by the players and or controlled by players. But that is a perfect world without power creep, as non existant as it is. Wait? Wasnt GW2 supposed to stop power creep? I guess not. What was that word the devs kept throwing around…diff….differ….oh! We are different! Not.

And sympathy for the devs? Not a chance. Laugh, these people made a ton of hype, things the game is not living up to and in fact revealing itself to be “more of the same” Something all of us did not sign up for.

As Ricky would say, “Lucy, you have alot of esplainin to do!”

There is no worse feeling than that during an argument, you realize you are wrong.

nachtnebel.9168

Sorry, but if people aren’t getting bored there’s no way Anet would re-evaluate their entire design philosophy.

I don’t doubt that some people are getting bored, but I seriously doubt that these people form the majority of the GW2 community. Just compare the number of posts made in the last two days in the Ascended Geard thread to the number of post about the so-called “lack of endgame content” made in the last threee month.

Sales aren’t meeting their expectation. People are getting bored. And active player

We don’t know yet if we can stop this crap or not. But there are a lot of players that are not willing to accept it. Some of them might quit the game this friday, others, like me, just won’t spend any more money on it untill this mess got cleaned up.
Only time can tell is whether Arena Net is heading in the wrong direction or not. Probably they will lose some players no matter what they do, the only question is, which way will make them lose more.

showatt.9413

GW2 is a game without monthly fee like skyrim, COD or whatever PS3 games or xbox games. Once i bought it, i played through all contents then what else? nothing! You either keep playing or find another game, easy. Why do i have to expect more contents and gear grind again and again?

I played Skyrim, once i get the top tier gear and i knew this is the maximum stat i get, do i expect the dev release higher tier gear? Nope.

But if Anet decided to have more tier gear based on expansion contents, then it is fine as long as i can play casually to obtain the new gear.

Of course you can play casually to obtain the new gear.
You don’t HAVE to get the new tier if you don’t want to – people are whining because they thought now their precious exotic aren’t hip anymore ( which actually isn’t the case because I can still get more stats from the runes than Asc gear, which doesn’t have a rune slot and only has infusion slot ).

showatt.9413

I don’t doubt that some people are getting bored, but I seriously doubt that these people form the majority of the GW2 community. Just compare the number of posts made in the last two days in the Ascended Geard thread to the number of post about the so-called “lack of endgame content” made in the last threee month.

Sales aren’t meeting their expectation. People are getting bored. And active player

We don’t know yet if we can stop this crap or not. But there are a lot of players that are not willing to accept it. Some of them might quit the game this friday, others, like me, just won’t spend any more money on it untill this mess got cleaned up.
Only time can tell is whether Arena Net is heading in the wrong direction or not. Probably they will lose some players no matter what they do, the only question is, which way will make them lose more.

Tell me one thing

If the situation wasn’t dire enough, why would Anet go back on their philosophy entirely and add a new tier of gear?

Because they enjoy ’backstabbing" your so called “majority” of the community?
They did make gw1, you know.

Dont ever forget that.

And don’t ever think Forum actually reflect what’s happening in game.

It has nothing to do with forums.

Anet holds all the server record and if the your ‘majority’ is still having fun with the game they wouldn’t have done it. It’s stupid to change their philosophy base on forum whiners, and Anet isn’t stupid.

Think about that.

(edited by showatt.9413)

Posted by: nysta.6713

nysta.6713

the worst thing about it is the raider-guild mentality.

everything becomes a case of “what gear do you have?” before anyone would talk to you. you’re considered a good/bad player based on your gearscore. you end up not being able to see half the game’s content without investing your soul into a group of easily irritated people who take the concept of “game” too seriously. you find yourself not bothering with the little things in the world as you end up pursuing only those things which guarantee you loot formatted for your class. ragequitting gets more common. no one likes anyone else because everyone’s too determined to get their loot NOW so they can get into the next raid with “not noobs”.

ugh. the whole idea makes me cringe. i was so glad when gw2 seemed to be saying it would pretty much be the antithesis of this. i thought: at last. a game where gamers looking for challenges and fun can gather. a holy grail, i guess.

while i don’t think this power creeping is the end of the game, it’s pretty much telling me this will be another mmo in which my wife and i’ll be locked out of endgame. again.

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

In gw1 you actually did go obsolete when not playing for some months, not because of armor maybe, but because of the addition of new skills and the way the meta shiftet. You couldn’t just jump into any part of gw1 after being away for 6 months. That’s an after construction

Agreed, you had to read up on the skills. And new skills were only added during major releases. And since those releases weren’t mandatory and PvP had to stay balanced, all skills were balanced together. So, you still would be able to play without problems at all (even if you didn’t have those new skills), as your level + armour + weapons were still at max. Only you, the player, would be rusty and a bit out of the loop.

nachtnebel.9168

Tell me one thing

If the situation wasn’t dire enough, why would Anet go back on their philosophy entirely and add a new tier of gear?

Dont ever forget that.

That’s exactly what people don’t understand and why they get angry. They made GW1, they know how to introduce new content without increasing stats or relying on any kind of grind or gear treadmill but still they choose to do it differently this time without telling us upfront. We had to hear about it from 3rd parties then they told us that there would be a blog post to clear up the mess and all we got was more questions.

I wouldn’t mind if they would have made a public ingame survey that showed that the majority wants this kind of change. In that case I would just go and play something else cause it is not what I’m looking for here. But currently due to the reaction of the community I feel like I’m part of a majority that doesn’t want Arena Net to go down that road.

showatt.9413

everything becomes a case of “what gear do you have?” before anyone would talk to you. you’re considered a good/bad player based on your gearscore. you end up not being able to see half the game’s content without investing your soul into a group of easily irritated people who take the concept of “game” too seriously. you find yourself not bothering with the little things in the world as you end up pursuing only those things which guarantee you loot formatted for your class. ragequitting gets more common. no one likes anyone else because everyone’s too determined to get their loot NOW so they can get into the next raid with “not noobs”.

ugh. the whole idea makes me cringe. i was so glad when gw2 seemed to be saying it would pretty much be the antithesis of this. i thought: at last. a game where gamers looking for challenges and fun can gather. a holy grail, i guess.

while i don’t think this power creeping is the end of the game, it’s pretty much telling me this will be another mmo in which my wife and i’ll be locked out of endgame. again.

Which, would be an MASSIVE exaggeration on your part.
Number 1 – Asc really aren’t that much different than Exotic gears.

Their stat APPEARS to be better, but you would still end up getting more stat bonus with matching runes on your exotic then ASC because these armors only have infusioin slot.

The agony debuff is designed so people only experience it after repeating the new dungeon.

Everything about this entire fiasco has been over exaggerated on the GW1 purist’s part it would seem like the end of day of GW2 if you have only been looking at the forum and not playing the actual game.

Posted by: Humposaurus.5764

Humposaurus.5764

If they added these items from the start no one would be complaining right now. I’m sure that after the content is released people will be praising ANet for the awesome new content.

Really people, get that sand out of your kitten and be happy about new content.

nachtnebel.9168

If they added these items from the start no one would be complaining right now. I’m sure that after the content is released people will be praising ANet for the awesome new content.

Really people, get that sand out of your kitten and be happy about new content.

If these items would have been there from the beginning we would have known that exotics are not the gear we had to aim for. Nobody would have spend gold, karma or tokens on multiple exotic sets or wasted precious transmutation stones to transfer designs on exotics.

/edit
Hey, I would be way less annoyed if I would get a refund on all the things I purchased so far or If my gear would transform into ascended gear once those items are released. Make this a one time thing so those of us who really got the gear because they were told that this was what they had to do don’t feel betrayed.

(edited by nachtnebel.9168)

Posted by: Humposaurus.5764

Humposaurus.5764

That makes no sense at all. We don’t know what the dungeon will be like, we don’t know what the drop rate will be like. If the dungeon is more difficult then all the dungeons combined then the exotic market will still be there. I’m pretty sure ANet will not release stronger items that will be obtainable in a few hours or days.

Lets just wait and see what this content will bring.

showatt.9413

Tell me one thing

Dont ever forget that.

That’s exactly what people don’t understand and why they get angry. They made GW1, they know how to introduce new content without increasing stats or relying on any kind of grind or gear treadmill but still they choose to do it differently this time without telling us upfront. We had to hear about it from 3rd parties then they told us that there would be a blog post to clear up the mess and all we got was more questions.

I wouldn’t mind if they would have made a public ingame survey that showed that the majority wants this kind of change. In that case I would just go and play something else cause it is not what I’m looking for here. But currently due to the reaction of the community I feel like I’m part of a majority that doesn’t want Arena Net to go down that road.

Lemme state this again.

You – and your so called “majority” and your “community” isn’t the only thing that’s keeping the game afloat. If it is, they wouldn’t have changed the game like this and if they are hell bent on changing it because – lord knows – they feel like it, they would at least tell you before hand.

In fact, I would even go as far as to say that you and the people who dislike the changes merely reflect the a fraction of the player base. Why dare I make this assumption?

Reality.
There has been 6000 post about this change. 6000 post. Seriously that number is making it the longest thread in GW2 history. Majority of them dislike the change.
And yet 6000 posts still aren’t enough to make Anet change their mind.

Is Anet crazy?
Nope.
It really just mean that there are actually far more people who either support the change, or are indifferent to the change, or are willing to wait til the content roll around and see what it brings, but they didn’t feel like getting caught up in this mayhem. Because you, and the fraction of the community, “feel betrayed” isn’t a valid enough reason to make them undo the change.

(edited by showatt.9413)

Posted by: nofo.8469

nofo.8469

Which, would be an MASSIVE exaggeration on your part.
Number 1 – Asc really aren’t that much different than Exotic gears.

Their stat APPEARS to be better, but you would still end up getting more stat bonus with matching runes on your exotic then ASC because these armors only have infusioin slot.

The agony debuff is designed so people only experience it after repeating the new dungeon.

Everything about this entire fiasco has been over exaggerated on the GW1 purist’s part it would seem like the end of day of GW2 if you have only been looking at the forum and not playing the actual game.

Please do some research before you post in the future, bolded part is entirely false.

I didn’t play gw1, I came to this game as it was marketed as a PvP game.

What do I get? Watered down DAoC RvR and a new tier of loot 3 months in?

kitten that kitten.

Posted by: Diego.4153

Diego.4153

My concern is that with a progression system that just adds extra power it could make everything else too easy.

My lvl 36 eng suited suited in rare all power gear with all rare power acc in a lvl 31 zone attack= 943
My lvl 80 hunter in lvl 80 rare magic find/power gear and lvl 75 blues in acc slots in a lvl 31 zone attack = 765

Id rather they keep this area a challange than progressively making it easier

Posted by: Kiza.5630

Kiza.5630

> Why do people fear ‘power creep’?

It makes (more) old content obsolete, pointless, boring. I have exotic items and to an extent this already is the case for maps <lvl30. I like doing events and helping other in every part of the world. Right now I already feel awkward if I am in say Metrica Province and throw my daggers into a group of enemies. Oops, one-shotted the whole group whereas the others struggle to kill two enemies at once. I can even kill champions without any fear of dying.

I don’t want to carry a “low-level set” of items with me just to not feel totally overpowered in low-level zones.

Increasing the player’s power further makes more lower level maps boring. It kind of removes older content from the game whereas Arenanet always stated that everything is endgame.

nachtnebel.9168

Lemme state this again.

You – and your so called “majority” and your “community” isn’t the only thing that’s keeping the game afloat. If it is, they wouldn’t have changed the game like this and if they are hell bent on changing it because – lord knows – they feel like it, they would at least tell you before hand.

In fact, I would even go as far as to say that you and the people who dislike the changes merely reflect the a fraction of the player base. Why dare I make this assumption?

Reality.
There has been 6000 post about this change. 6000 post. Seriously that number is making it the longest thread in GW2 history. Majority of them dislike the change.

Is Anet crazy?
Nope.
It really just mean that there are actually far more people who either support the change, or are indifferent to the change, or are willing to wait til the content roll around and see what it brings, but they didn’t feel like getting caught up in this mayhem. Because you, and the fraction of the community, “feel betrayed” isn’t a valid enough reason to make them undo the change.

So 6000 in two day are not enough but way less over the last three month are?
And if they don’t rely on forum posts what is their source? I haven’t seen any ingame surveys since the end of beta.

All you have to assume that the majority is in favor of these change is the fact that Arena Net isn’t going back yet. I don’t have much too but the sheer number of posts that show discontent.

Once again: Only time will tell if this decision was the right one or not.

showatt.9413

Lemme state this again.

Reality.

Is Anet crazy?
Nope.

So 6000 in two day are not enough but way less over the last three month are?
And if they don’t rely on forum posts what is their source? I haven’t seen any ingame surveys since the end of beta.

All you have to assume that the majority is in favor of these change is the fact that Arena Net isn’t going back yet. I don’t have much too but the sheer number of posts that show discontent.

Once again: Only time will tell if this decision was the right one or not.

Have you actually read ANYTHING I have posted?

Seriously, Anet is the developers.
They would be complete kitten stupid if they listen to forum alone.

And if they actually listen to forum alone, this change would have been undone already.

Think! ok?

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

if we didn’t have a power creep when new content was released people would fly through it in a day or two and complain when there is nothing to do again

They will still do that – the new gear might give them few more days tops, no more. And the people that wanted interesting new content will still want one, because just putting in new, better eq and scaling content up to that gear tier is NOT interesting.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

showatt.9413

if we didn’t have a power creep when new content was released people would fly through it in a day or two and complain when there is nothing to do again

They will still do that – the new gear might give them few more days tops, no more. And the people that wanted interesting new content will still want one, because just putting in new, better eq and scaling content up to that gear tier is NOT interesting.

Cough… and new dungeons…cough.

nachtnebel.9168

The point here is:
Most community sites as well as this forum show that a lot of people are discontent with these upcomming changes. This is not evidence but still a clue that something isn’t right here. I have seen enough knee-jerk reactions in my life to know that this ascended gear and the infusion system – which is that different formt he one we had in GW1- feels like one.

We, the whole community, have not been shown evidence yet that tells us that Arena Net is donig what the majority of us wants. So it comes all down to Arena Net’s credibility, which, for some of us, is now damaged.

showatt.9413

The point here is:
Most community sites as well as this forum show that a lot of people are discontent with these upcomming changes. This is not evidence but still a clue that something isn’t right here. I have seen enough knee-jerk reactions in my life to know that this ascended gear and the infusion system – which is that different formt he one we had in GW1- feels like one.

We, the whole community, have not been shown evidence yet that tells us that Arena Net is donig what the majority of us wants. So it comes all down to Arena Net’s credibility, which, for some of us, is now damaged.

Sorry, when you said whole community, do you mean the whole “FORUM” community, which actually still have a few people supporting here and there?

Go ahead. Keep thinking you are the majority because whiny children spam forum to voice their displeasure, no one will stop you.

Before you do though, Just have a really good think about my question, and repeat it over and over again in your head -

“If you really are the majority, and if the majority of players are so opposed to the idea, and if the game is doing fine and requires no such dramatic changes, why the hell is this happening? ".

Do this, and maybe you will start seeing what I’m talking about here.

Because honestly, continuously crying about How you represent every player who plays the game, and how you feel betrayed, is now really getting effing old.

Posted by: Codus.9086

Codus.9086

“If you really are the majority, and if the majority of players are so opposed to the idea, and if the game is doing fine and requires no such dramatic changes, why the hell is this happening? ".

I can answer that one. It’s being changed because people were pissing and moaning that they couldn’t get their Legendary quickly enough. This inclusion of an intermediate tier is directly aimed at them.

Just because you seem to agree with a change doesn’t make you right, does it?

nachtnebel.9168

The whole community is the whole community, or have you been shown any evidence I don’t know of?

And I’m not constantly sayin that the majority shares my opinion, I never did that, you just imply it.

Posted by: NoOneShotU.3479

NoOneShotU.3479

This is starting to stink like Warhammer Online.

The concept of the game was presented to us as PVP game with cool lore/story and PVE content as an intro/after thought.

Now after playing for 3 months you want to change that?

Imagine buying Call of Duty and opening it up, playing multiplayer, and then after 3 months the devs say, oh btw The guns you have aren’t good enough, so unless you play the campaign about 10 times you won’t be competitive?

You’d feel cheated right?

For the record I did level and gear a character to 20 in about 3 weeks in GW1, but I didn’t start at launch and I had a lot of PvE to do in the skill department.

So if you want to suggest there was a “skill” grind, I guess that might be true.

showatt.9413

I can answer that one. It’s being changed because people were pissing and moaning that they couldn’t get their Legendary quickly enough. This inclusion of an intermediate tier is directly aimed at them.

Just because you seem to agree with a change doesn’t make you right, does it?

Except you have failed to answer the question.

If the majority of people like yourself aren’t pissed, and if the game is doing fine, and if truly the majority dislike this new idea, Why has Anet decided to create a mechanic that only caters the minority and serve nothing but to piss the majority players off?

The whole community is the whole community, or have you been shown any evidence I don’t know of?

And I’m not constantly sayin that the majority shares my opinion, I never did that, you just imply it.

Can I ask you how old you are?
Because you seem to have problem grasping what I’m actually talking about.

The fact that these changess – the Asc gears – are STILL coming out with 6700 whine posts created for it, and the fact that they have created this new tier, which your “supposed” majority is so discontented with, means that either -

A > Anet is stupid.

or

B > You aren’t the majority.

If you ask me I’d go with B.

Because unlike you, who probably hasn’t studied about User experience design, I did, and I know forum actually reflects only a part of the game, and not everything.
There are many other ways to gather data, which game developers use ( I know because I study game design and user experience is part of the course), and these data must have shown them that their product isn’t working as well as intended.

If this isn’t the case, they wouldn’t put ASC gear in.

Get what I’m saying here?

PS. Again google search the terms I’ve given you. Heuristic Evaluation, Contextual Inquiry, Usability Test and User experience design. I’m not making things up.

(edited by showatt.9413)

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Most time consuming thing in GW1 to me was that you had to get max weapons for all of your heroes, as well as HP runes and all the skills for certain builds for them, then figure out how to make them work as a team and not get owned.

I don’t really like the idea of new armor tiers, just having new skins is fine by me. When GW1 released xpans the new armor had the same max of the previous ones. New jewelry/back pieces aren’t as bad though. Isn’t ascended limited to only those jewelry and back slots? It’s be more entertaining if they added new profession skills or weapon skills instead though.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

(edited by Doggie.3184)

nachtnebel.9168

Can I ask you how old you are?
Because you seem to have problem grasping what I’m actually talking about.

The fact that these changess – the Asc gears – are STILL coming out with 6700 whine posts created for it, and the fact that they have created this new tier, which your “supposed” majority is so discontented with, means that either -

A > Anet is stupid.

or

B > You aren’t the majority.

If you think buisness works that way you are really naive. You don’t earn the most money if you make most of your costumers happy, you do so by making them spend their money. When it comes to computer games additcion is the key to success. A gear treadmill is not that popular, but it’s addictive as hell and therefore keeps people playing cause they have to get the gear in order to get to the content they actually want to do.

In a nutshell: Pissing you costumers off just slightly is the best way to earn money, they might not be totally happy, but they will come back. I make a mint every day by following this simple concept.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I think the developers aren’t going to change their plans, NOT because there is a strong majority of players that actually want the ascended gear, but likely because all of the work is already done and they honestly feel that once we try it we will like it.

Whether or not that pans out for them remains to be seen. For all we know 3 weeks in Exotics will get a stat boost to match Ascended because of the uproar.

I honestly think in the end this will blow over. As long as Ascended is the only additional “tier” of gear they add then whatever.

Let’s all just pretend that Ascended gear existed from the beginning. I mean, it’s only 3 months in. Two years from now we will barely remember that Ascended gear came in 3 months after release, it will just be a part of the game.

Exotics are ridiculously easy to get. The second I hit 80 I had full exotics. No joke. I hit up TB and spend 14g or so for full armor and weapons. Now I’m just mixing and matching from different dungeon/karma sets to get the look I want. Both of my level 80 chars were full geared in exotics (looked kinda silly but the stats were there) from the get-go. In light of this I certainly understand their concern that it is too easy to obtain lol.

Before I hit 80 I was ready for the slight grind to get my exotics with a long term goal of my legendary GS. Once I realized that exotics were as easy to get as Rare/Masterwork I felt very underwhelmed.

Still on the fence about this Ascended gear, though. I was pretty happy that once my chars were in their Exotics that I was max stat’d forever while I work on replacing key pieces with different looks.

At the VERY least, this expansion is only adding accessories/back, so no one will really be THAT far behind. In two weeks everyone will have ascended accessories and we will all wonder what this hullabaloo was all about.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

nachtnebel.9168

I will spell it out for you too:
Arena Net will lose more costumers if the implement a Gear Treadmill like they are about to do. All those who bought GW2 cause they were told that their won’t be any Gear Treadmill probably won’t spend money on expansion packs or the gem store.

Just cause you think Arena Net is doing the right thing doesn’t mean that they do what the community wants. What the community wants and what earns Arena Net the most money is not neccessarily the same thing. Pissing off costumers to a certian degree nets you more money than making everybody happy.

showatt.9413

I think the developers aren’t going to change their plans, NOT because there is a strong majority of players that actually want the ascended gear, but likely because all of the work is already done and they honestly feel that once we try it we will like it.

Finally someone who actually understand what I’m talking about.

However lets put this into scenario okay:

Anet Lead: Hmm the game’s losing popularity we gotta do something fast.

Anet Dev: How about adding endgame gear progression, so player can grind for new gears, and the higher stats will motivate them to do so!

Anet Lead; THAT SOUNDS PERFECT! I know everyone’s gonna love it. Lets do it

Not so realistic right?

The fact is, they most certainly knew this would happen. But still, they went ahead with making the changes. Why would they risk making so many players angry, if they actually are not supported by a greater faction of people who are :

1. Indifferent to the change
2. Support the change
3. Not happy, but willing to give the change a chance.

??

This is the main reason why I believe, that most people, actually don’t care about the change as much as the “VOCAL” majority do.

showatt.9413

I will spell it out for you too:
Arena Net will lose more costumers if the implement a Gear Treadmill like they are about to do.

That’s what YOU think would happen.

IF you aren’t actually the majority, and if most people are actually okay with the change, then how on earth would they lose more costumers? In fact, they might even regain some of the customer lost because now these people have something to do.

Sure they’re gonna be leaving again when they get the new gear, but that will at least buy the company a few more month to make more stuff.

You honestly still aren’t thinking.
But keep trying.

PS. Stop using the word “community”.

You are not the community.
The forum is NOT the community.
Read my post properly.

Posted by: Kana.6793

Kana.6793

My guild has over 400 members. All I’ve seen in game are people excited about the new dungeon and people debating whether or not infusions mean the mursaat are about to make a comeback.

People in LA map chat and dungeon pugs are playing as normal. The only place I’ve seen hysterical rage about the patch is on these forums.

Plus they’ve already said there will not be a new tier of gear every 3 months, there will only be Ascended and Legendaries added. It’s not a gear treadmill.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

No, it’s not about what getting “exactly what they want” it’s about being given exactly what was promised, which is no gear treadmill. A power creep is not necessary. GW1 did it for years and thru new expacs still didn’t raise the level or gear cap for a long time. New content can be made challenging without having to raise gear numbers.

And power creep shouldn’t be implemented just to give the developers a month to stave off whining. There should be real reasons for any big decisions. And this is a big one.

I will say that I’m sick of people complaining about no end-game cuz they did it already. In GW1 we were all very happy to run FOW & UW & Tombs over and over and over. Because it was challenging and not every part was doable right away or without strategy. This game doesn’t require enough strategy just yet, but I’m confident.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

showatt.9413

Exactly, Kana.

Most people actually are excited – if not, indifferent – to Ascended gears.

These people are the reason why Anet went ahead with the changes.

Because Forum is actually not the majority.

It reflects only endless repost-ing of a faction of Gw1 purist that wants Gw2 to be exactly like 1, which isn’t actually the opinion of the real “majority”.

showatt.9413

No, it’s not about what getting “exactly what they want” it’s about being given exactly what was promised, which is no gear treadmill. A power creep is not necessary. GW1 did it for years and thru new expacs still didn’t raise the level or gear cap for a long time. New content can be made challenging without having to raise gear numbers.

And power creep shouldn’t be implemented just to give the developers a month to stave off whining. There should be real reasons for any big decisions. And this is a big one.

I will say that I’m sick of people complaining about no end-game cuz they did it already. In GW1 we were all very happy to run FOW & UW & Tombs over and over and over. Because it was challenging and not every part was doable right away or without strategy. This game doesn’t require enough strategy just yet, but I’m confident.

It always comes back to “Gw1” is blah blah blah

isn’t it?

Sorry, I actually have faith in Anet.

If they didn’t think Ascended Gear was necessary, they would not have implented it, especially when they knew it’s going to pizz some people off.

And I really don’t care for Gw1 man. This isn’t Gw1. This is nothing like Gw1. If they’re gonna make another Gw1, they should have just give Gw1 a new expansion and better graphic.

This is Gw2.
They’re going for a new thing.

Feeling betrayed because they went back on their words? Bad luck.
Things happens. Turns out getting exotic is too easy and most people dont like horizontal progression.

Situation’s become so dire they had to roll in the change. Fast.

(edited by showatt.9413)