Why do people play anything other than a war?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dean Calaway.9718

Dean Calaway.9718

The meta is berserker DPS and when it comes to that formula warriors do it best. Anything else and you’re sub par and gimping yourself. This isn’t a troll post, I’ve played every profession (excluding engi) up to level 40 and played a necro/ele/warrior at 80 in full exotics. Warriors are pure faceroll. Walk up, smash a button or two and you walk away with a mob kill and 90% health. Other classes need to bounce around, worry about placing skills or their health bar. In fact, I never even use my healing skill because the regeneration on it does the work for me.

If the game welcomed builds other than berserkers then the other professions would be worth playing, but ATM everyone should just play a warrior.

Really? No offence but that kind of warrior is the type that shouts for people in AC to stack for spider (even tough it doesn’t work anymore) then gets all frustrated and joins the fight in the open thinking “bunch of noobs” so he jumps on the spider like its a trash mob, no condi clear, no healing, no dodging, basically doing is normal rotation until he just dies.
Now he’s really mad, after all the only way he’s dead on the ground is because everyone else sucks because he’s playing “optimal”, he then uses his free time to complain in chat, possibly picking the lowest AP person and trying to kick that person.

Or, just like a Guardian did a few days ago in CE, come out with the remark “is everyone here under 500 AP?”
Never mind she had 2k while everyone else had 4k+, just because she died in the Alpha AoE because she can’t dodge, others are to blame, she was optimal!

Victoria Cross [VC] – Desolation [EU]

Posted by: CathShadow.9507

CathShadow.9507

I main an Ele, and while I don’t have a ton of survivability, I do a butt-ton of damage…

I’ve got 1 of each class, and only have my guardian, thief, and warrior left to max level…

Problem is, after playing Ele, Engi, Necro, Ranger, and Mes a lot… I find Warrior SO incredibly boring… that it’s become a problem for me to level it… x_x..

soo…. boooorrrinnggg….

Hounds of Hades [HH] – Contact us for raid training!

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

It may be a troll thread, but it’s not the first one. There have been several “why do you play anything other than [warrior, guardian]”

My answer remains every time….. because I feel like it.

I’d say I main an ele, but I play my mesmer and my necro just as much anymore, so it’s hard to claim that I have a ‘main’ at this point. I do have all 8 classes though, doubles of some. I’m sitting at 12 characters total on my account right now.

Anyway, I don’t play warrior often for 2 reasons – I’m not very good at it and I find it very boring. Maybe it’s boring because I’m not good at it, who knows. I just don’t “get into it” when I play my warrior.

I’ve found dagger / dagger on a necro or ele to be more entertaining (dagger / dagger ele is growing on me now that I don’t die every 10 steps) and sword / focus on mesmer is equally enjoyable. Logically if I enjoy melee on those characters, I should enjoy it on a war as well, but I don’t. It’s just blah for me, and I’ve tried a variety of weapon combos to liven things up. I’m guessing it’s just not my class. It wasn’t in gw1 either.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Beacause human female heavy armors show less body and breasts than medium and light armor.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

opening post -snip

dear user,
the game is horribly imbalanced
sincerily yours
- the past 20 months

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

The meta is berserker DPS and when it comes to that formula warriors do it best. Anything else and you’re sub par and gimping yourself. This isn’t a troll post, I’ve played every profession (excluding engi) up to level 40 and played a necro/ele/warrior at 80 in full exotics. Warriors are pure faceroll. Walk up, smash a button or two and you walk away with a mob kill and 90% health. Other classes need to bounce around, worry about placing skills or their health bar. In fact, I never even use my healing skill because the regeneration on it does the work for me.

If the game welcomed builds other than berserkers then the other professions would be worth playing, but ATM everyone should just play a warrior.

I see this post taking a number of ASSuM(E)mptions that show the OPs limited view of WHY players actually log into the game:

1. Not everyone is obsessed with MIN/MAX efficiency and feels some intrinsic need to play the game in the most OP way possible.
  2. Not everyone considers Dungeon speed runs as the only content worth playing.
  3. Some players enjoy challenging themselves with something that is NOT faceroll gaming. (Note that I disagree with your assessment that a Warrior can play like that in all content, but it seems you want to exaggerate your point even tho that makes your entire thought process questionable).
  4. The way YOU like to play the game and the content YOU like to play is YOUR choice….it seems you feel the need to try and convince others it is the correct one, when a “choice” by definition has no predetermined correct answer.

opening post -snip

dear user,
the game is horribly imbalanced
sincerily yours
- the past 20 months

….and yet players continue to play non-warrior classes….hmmm.

Beacause human female heavy armors show less body and breasts than medium and light armor.

Somewhere deep in my twisted, perverted mind, this does exist as a possibility (tho my Female Norn War does wear Barbaric….plenty of skin).

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Why do people play other classes than warriors?

Warriors cant use medium or light armor, so people make classes that can equip those armors.

So purely for cosmetic reason.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: rincewind.9528

rincewind.9528

See, this is the proof that we need more skimpy armors!!

Posted by: Nabarue.3290

Nabarue.3290

Well, this thread escalated quickly. Not that I expected any less. A thread like this pops up every now and again, and with the same explosive result.

I recently tried a warrior. I have 4 other level 80’s, the one which I enjoy most (and consider my main) to be my Engineer. Engi is a challenge, and when I roam in WvW there is never a shortage of good fights. It’s dynamic, no fight ever happens the same way twice, and I am afforded many options of how I want to approach a battle.

My warrior on the other hand… well, lets do some math.

Engineer (I roll 3 kits)- 4 toolbelt skills, 5 weapon skills, each kit providing 5 skills, my elite, my heal skill, that of which has an activation= Grand Total of 27 skills at my disposal.

Warrior- 10 weapon skills, a heal that I try not to actually use (signet), 3 other skills, and an elite= Grand Total of 15 skills.

You see the point I am trying to make? Sure the warrior does it simply, but other classes (Ele and Engi, here’s looking at you) simply have more ways to approach a battle than just “draw weapon, swing weapon, attempt to win.” Standing around hitting things is NOT the only way to play the game.

But you weren’t talking about WvW/PvP? I got that covered.

You want to know insane damage? A decent Lightning Hammer Ele and me spamming fire fields every few seconds off the bomb kit. Maybe I’ll run Flame Turret on my skill bar for yet another Fire Field so I can have a Fire Field for almost 12 seconds straight . Not to mention a good Ranger in the party with Frost Spirit and Spotter.

Moral of this story. People don’t all play Warriors because there are MANY more ways to skin a cat in this game. And when it comes to warriors, they may do it more reliably thanks to their toughness and survivability, but a well played Engi/Ele etc etc can prove much more valuable to a party than any random Warrior. And I can assure you there are more good Engis and Eles than there are good Warriors.

(Note: I like my warrior. He’s a good looking, sauve, Asura. It provides a nice break from the piano playing playstyle of my Engi/Ele. Mentioned this to show that my opinions are not based on bias, but personal experience.)

Sir Sprocket the Engi/ Kyoryu Silver the Ele
And my Alter-Ego- Kyoryu Gold, Mesmer, Thundering Hero, wielder of the Legendary Meteorlogicus!

Posted by: Allaraina.8614

Allaraina.8614

Guardian for better support play style with alot of boons. Low health and limited condition removal options makes them vulnerable against attrition combat.

Just needed to nitpick this a bit, but guardians actually have fabulous condi removal.

- Signet of Resolve
- “Save Yourselves!”
- Contemplation of Purity
- V in the Valor tree (Purity)
- IX in the Virtues tree (Absolute Resolution)
- IX in the Radiance tree (Inscribed Removal)
- Focus 4 (Ray of Judgement)

To top it off, the sixth rune on Superior Rune of the Soldier is “shouts remove a condition from each affected ally”. So what you can do is in a condi intensive fight spam shouts while using rune of the soldier. Or use any of those other options that stack quite nicely together. Not necessarily “optimal dps” as it is circumstance specific, but pretty hefty for a bunker guard, especially if you have aegis up to deflect direct damage.

Here is a link to some of those skills. This isn’t a finished build or anything, but I pulled those skills up for anyone who wants to take a look.

My 18 characters are waiting for outfits from GW1 like Tuxedos! WE GOT DWAYNA! =D
http://asuratime.tumblr.com/

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

My new tactic with everything is to use a warrior to learn the mechanics, if in doubt use my other warrior, and then use other classes.

Trying to use my favourite engineer first always leads to rage.

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

Because they do the same thing in different color. My main is a warrior and now im leveling my 6th and 7th 80’s together, my characters combined will be zerk rainbow.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: IrishPotato.6327

IrishPotato.6327

Interesting troll post.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Engineer (I roll 3 kits)- 4 toolbelt skills, 5 weapon skills, each kit providing 5 skills, my elite, my heal skill, that of which has an activation= Grand Total of 27 skills at my disposal.

Warrior- 10 weapon skills, a heal that I try not to actually use (signet), 3 other skills, and an elite= Grand Total of 15 skills.

You see the point I am trying to make? Sure the warrior does it simply, but other classes (Ele and Engi, here’s looking at you) simply have more ways to approach a battle than just “draw weapon, swing weapon, attempt to win.” Standing around hitting things is NOT the only way to play the game.

Not that I disagree that Engi is a harder class to master but for completions sake:
You forgot the 2 burst skills. You also forgot to mention that Warriors can use 11 different weapons compared to the the Engis 4 and we use 2 sets compared to the Engis 1 set.

Overall, the Warrior has access (though not at the same time) to 49 different weapon skills plus 9 burst skills, thats 58 overall and 21 different combinations of weapon sets.

An Engi has access to 17 different weapon skills plus 30 tool kit skills, thats 47 overall and only 4 different combinations as he only has access to 1 weapon set.
Granted, the Engi has more skills available at the same time but who wins in terms of build diversity?
(in that statistic, i guess Ele wins with 105 different weapon/attunement skills)

I logged over 5k hours and over 95% of that on my Warrior. I messed around in pvp with others classes, mostly only to get to know their skills. I had a very hard time with playing an Engi (and necro, ele) as efficiently as i can play my Warrior.

Why? because I am a Clicker, I activate all my skills with my mouse instead of pushing keys because i am left handed and there just arent enough keys around the num pad to bind my skills to. So i especially have a hard time with ranged AoE activation and placement because i have to move my mouse to the skill bar and back to where i want to place it, which greatly reduces my reaction time.

So warrior is the ideal class for me to play as it only has Earthshaker and the 2 longbow skills which are ranged AoE but it still offers great build diversity for me to not get boring (i mostly play wvw).

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

I have 5 lvl 80s. 2 of them are Warriors (1 Char and 1Asura). I love the skill animation of the warrior and like the in your face brute force play style. I play my Ele and Guard when I want a change of pace.

lol, at the warrior being the best at DPS. Warrior is like number 3 or 4 when it comes to pure DPS builds. My Ele, Thief and even Guardian can out DPS my warriors.

Why do people play anything other than a warrior? because it’s what they want to do and it’s not gimping yourself when you play your class well. I’ll take a well played ranger or necro over a nub warrior any day.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

The better question would be:

Why does anyone play a necro? No mobility, lowest DPS of all classes, no active defenses, and very little group support. The only situation where a necro doesn’t objectively make your group worse is 3-headed wurm for the trash.

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

I have every class, geared in exotics and ascended Berserker (except my year old level 68 Ranger). I’d rather come with anything else than my warrior.
It’s just so boring to play…And well, if I want to up the DPS of my party, there’s better options.

Warriors are nice and easy in PuGs. But I’d rather come as a guardian to make sure they don’t die too quickly.

Why does anyone play a necro? No mobility, lowest DPS of all classes, no active defenses, and very little group support. The only situation where a necro doesn’t objectively make your group worse is 3-headed wurm for the trash.

My first character is a Necro. Up to this day, it’s still the class I prefer wandering around in PvE. And PvP.
I don’t take it into dungeons and meta events because I’m not one to slow down everyone else, but it’s still a class I like.
You can probably blame that as my Necro being my main class in GW1 and nostalgia.

Posted by: Blix.8021

Blix.8021

I like my mesmer, but sometimes when I do an event or living story I just think “If I was on my warrior I could have done that faster and more easily by just pressing 100b or auto attacking with the axe”

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

A) Warrior isn’t the only prof needed for groups.

B) Warrior isn’t the highest DPS.

C) Warrior is boring.

cheshirefox.7026

i like my elementalist because any other profession in this game can solo hard counter it
- begin sarcasm
but seeing how they were proven the highest dps and nomad armor released.. they’re unstoppable gawdz now..
- begin maniacle laughter
- begin reality check    commence tears
- reroll       for the purposes of this thread, to warrior

i can outswim a centaur!

Posted by: rfdarko.4639

rfdarko.4639

I look forward to your 5 warrior dungeon records- the current record holders use “sub-optimal” classes so surely you will smash through those records with ease with a 5 war comp. /s

guildless hobo who likes to solo – [x]

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Very survivable in spite of the low armor. You mention the lowest armor, but you neglect the highest health, equal health pool to the warrior. Then there’s the death shroud, which gives you the equivalent of a second health bar, making you relatively hard to kill. And not every necro uses a condition build. Some soul reaping builds are superb.

They also do every well at choke points in WvW and they do well in SPvP.

I really enjoy playing my necro.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

No active defense? They’ve got some very good crowd control, which is – of course – a form of active defense.

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

it’s like people can’t comprehend the fact that some people just play certain classes because they enjoy them. what fun is the game if you can’t play it the way you enjoy playing it?

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

“War is hell.”

— William Tecumseh Sherman

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

I love going up against berserker warriors in wvw! They die so quickly and can’t do anything besides mash auto-attack, which I just dodge. It’s the tank guardians or condition necros that always get me. stealth thieves are just annoying – they can’t kill me and I can’t kill them. more players being warrior just makes it that much easier – they are all used to fighting other warriors that faceplant each other, so don’t know how to fight someone unorthodoxly.
could you imagine if pve mobs could dodge? oh that would be glorious!

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I have a warrior… I find it very boring to play. Not because the warrior does a lot of damage and trivializes encounters more thoroughly than other classes, but because of the class mechanics.

Even with my main (engi) I didn’t go for one of the DPS-optimized builds. I’ve tried out many things, and I’m happy with my build.

DPS is not my top priority.

Posted by: Destai.9603

Destai.9603

Many reasons, character theme, skill set, challenges – it’s not always about min maxing. I play a Guardian main because I love how the class feels. I play a Ranger out of tradition. I still manage to get some good roleplaying out of it. That’s what the game is about for me.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Because video games are about having fun, not being as ‘l33t’ as possible.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

I have a warrior… I find it very boring to play. Not because the warrior does a lot of damage and trivializes encounters more thoroughly than other classes, but because of the class mechanics.

As someone with a greatsword-toting warrior, I don’t even use the class mechanic. I just sit at full adrenaline because A. Arcing Slice sucks, and B. Berserker’s Power doesn’t suck. The day two-handed axes are added to this game will be a joyous one for me.

cheshirefox.7026

snip

yeh, when i first got here i thought it’d be a thread about making gw2 more like hello kitty island

i can outswim a centaur!

Posted by: Destai.9603

Destai.9603

Even with my main (engi) I didn’t go for one of the DPS-optimized builds. I’ve tried out many things, and I’m happy with my build.

DPS is not my top priority.

I created a warrior because I thought I wanted to have a dungeon runner, but I too found it boring. I didn’t really connect with any of the skills.

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

Poorly speccd/geared classes that are used in cookie cutter play often do not perform well. A lot depends on the situation and player skill. That holds for every class.

I’m sorry you’ve run into Necros that might have fallen into that category.

Creatively speccd/geared/played Necros can offer good group support (heals/protection/cc), high AoE dps, and shine in Fractals, Explorables (yes, tanking/dps in Arah), WvW and SPvP. They have incredibly high vitality / survivability and intelligent spec/use of DS provides some situation-winning abilities that other classes do not have.

- part of a 4 player group that has done Fractals/Explorables and WvW (towers/keeps) with 2 Necros and 2 Elems.

We’ve found that our Necros (spec/gear) are interchangeable with warriors. (And yes, we also have/play zerker warriors, among other professions/builds.)

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

(edited by goldenwing.8473)

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

Really? No offence but that kind of warrior is the type that shouts for people in AC to stack for spider (even tough it doesn’t work anymore)

Incorrect,
Still works.
However, it’s success is generally based on correct use of an ele’s fierygreatsword.

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

The whole idea of “meta” in PvE is utterly irrelevant for 99% of players. Sure, if you are in some quote-unquote “hardcore” speedrun group, trying to repeatedly blaze through dungeons as efficiently as possible, all day long — and everyone in the group is at the top of their game — playing the “meta” might save you a couple of minutes each run. But unless you are in that top echelon of ultra-efficient speedrun players (and don’t kid yourself, you probably aren’t), any noticeable impact the “meta” will have on your performance is mostly in your own imagination.

Even if warriors were the “meta” in PvE, they are not needed to succeed, or even to excel. The “meta” is not even about tackling the hardest content in the game, getting the best gear, or being the most effective player. It’s simply a method to churn out the highest DPS in a controlled and predictable environment. GW2 is not made with that in mind. It makes little difference in world bosses, living story, dynamic events, champ farms. For almost all scenarios, the “meta” serves no purpose. If the choice comes down to “play the class you’re most comfortable with and enjoy the most,” versus “play the meta,” I simply don’t see why anyone should feel compelled to choose the latter. It really doesn’t matter that much, in the grand scheme of things.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Poorly speccd/geared classes that are used in cookie cutter play often do not perform well. A lot depends on the situation and player skill. That holds for every class.

I’m sorry you’ve run into Necros that might have fallen into that category.

Creatively speccd/geared/played Necros can offer good group support (heals/protection/cc), high AoE dps, and shine in Fractals, Explorables (yes, tanking/dps in Arah), WvW and SPvP. They have incredibly high vitality / survivability and intelligent spec/use of DS provides some situation-winning abilities that other classes do not have.

- part of a 4 player group that has done Fractals/Explorables and WvW (towers/keeps) with 2 Necros and 2 Elems.

We’ve found that our Necros (spec/gear) are interchangeable with warriors. (And yes, we also have/play zerker warriors, among other professions/builds.)

I REALLY hope I am missing the /sarcasm here… If not then it is no wonder that the devs won’t fix necro if people really think this…

Posted by: Shjade.4697

Shjade.4697

Really? No offence but that kind of warrior is the type that shouts for people in AC to stack for spider (even tough it doesn’t work anymore) then gets all frustrated and joins the fight in the open thinking “bunch of noobs” so he jumps on the spider like its a trash mob, no condi clear, no healing, no dodging, basically doing is normal rotation until he just dies.
Now he’s really mad, after all the only way he’s dead on the ground is because everyone else sucks because he’s playing “optimal”, he then uses his free time to complain in chat, possibly picking the lowest AP person and trying to kick that person.

Or, just like a Guardian did a few days ago in CE, come out with the remark “is everyone here under 500 AP?”
Never mind she had 2k while everyone else had 4k+, just because she died in the Alpha AoE because she can’t dodge, others are to blame, she was optimal!

Pretty sure you mean “that kind of PLAYER,” not warrior. Any class can be played by bad ragekids. For instance, the pug I joined last week which wiped on the spider queen twice (once on each path we did) and both times blamed one of the party’s elementalists for not dropping an FGS in time. The person crying loudest? Another elementalist. I, on my warrior, survived to kill the queen solo on one path and duo (another warrior also had the sense to get out of the poison) on the other.

Then I got kicked from the party for pointing out the guy who was crying so much could’ve just, y’know. Not died. Like we did.

Baddies come in all flavors.

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

The meta is berserker DPS and when it comes to …

Why do people make posts like these and feel their perspective is more valid than others?

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

Because I like my Guardian more than my Warrior.

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

Fractal lvl 40. Uncatergorized. 5 x warriors. Good luck with the harpies. If only someone had reflection.

Speed clear lupi. 5 x warriors. If only one of them had attack speed boost and reflections.

Arah p2/TA p2..if only someone had mass stealth.

Pvp. Particle blinded. If only we had someone in the team a little removed that can clearly and quickly target key players and harass them..maybe a mesmer..

If only we had someonethat can set up, and detonate various combo fields…

The reasons are numerous. I think if you take your current experience to lvl 80 and play various content you’ll see a number of professions can match warrior and provide a lot of team things that warrior just can’t.

Posted by: linuxotaku.4731

linuxotaku.4731

The whole idea of “meta” in PvE is utterly irrelevant for 99% of players. Sure, if you are in some quote-unquote “hardcore” speedrun group, trying to repeatedly blaze through dungeons as efficiently as possible, all day long — and everyone in the group is at the top of their game — playing the “meta” might save you a couple of minutes each run. But unless you are in that top echelon of ultra-efficient speedrun players (and don’t kid yourself, you probably aren’t), any noticeable impact the “meta” will have on your performance is mostly in your own imagination.

This is not true. It’s fairly easy to tell the difference between Ascended Celestial gear with Traveler’s runes and Exotic Berserker gear with Scholar’s runes when solo’ing camps in WvW — it works with both, but the latter is much faster. (Both were with basically the meta for my class — which I can also assure you is much more efficient than what I was running previously.)

Even if warriors were the “meta” in PvE, they are not needed to succeed, or even to excel. The “meta” is not even about tackling the hardest content in the game, getting the best gear, or being the most effective player. It’s simply a method to churn out the highest DPS in a controlled and predictable environment. GW2 is not made with that in mind. It makes little difference in world bosses, living story, dynamic events, champ farms. For almost all scenarios, the “meta” serves no purpose. If the choice comes down to “play the class you’re most comfortable with and enjoy the most,” versus “play the meta,” I simply don’t see why anyone should feel compelled to choose the latter. It really doesn’t matter that much, in the grand scheme of things.

This I agree with. I’d go farther; PvE isn’t very difficult once you understand the encounters — there’s no need to go with the class that’s easiest (high armor + high health + decent passive regeneration).

I have all classes at 80, geared in zerker, and I play the ones whose gameplay I enjoy most (Ele, Guard, sometimes Ranger … I wish I could make my Engi seem as useful in PvE, but apparently I’m not good enough, so I mostly use the others).

[Edited: kitten ANet filters … “hard” followed by “once” triggers them.]

Posted by: IvanTheGrey.2941

IvanTheGrey.2941

Not disagreeing with you, but I would like to clarify some of your posts:

Fractal lvl 40. Uncatergorized. 5 x warriors. Good luck with the harpies. If only someone had reflection.

true, but warriors CAN do reflection (you have to trait it, but it is there)

Speed clear lupi. 5 x warriors. If only one of them had attack speed boost and reflections.

Meh

Arah p2/TA p2..if only someone had mass stealth.

can’t say much for TA, but stealth in Arah p2 is completely unnecessary.

Pvp. Particle blinded. If only we had someone in the team a little removed that can clearly and quickly target key players and harass them..maybe a mesmer..

I’ll take your word for it. I don’t PvP nearly as much as I should

If only we had someonethat can set up, and detonate various combo fields…

Gonna call b.s. on part of this. Warriors have plenty of combo field detonations, with the important ones (imo), blasts, being covered in both utilities and weapons (warhorn 5)

The reasons are numerous. I think if you take your current experience to lvl 80 and play various content you’ll see a number of professions can match warrior and provide a lot of team things that warrior just can’t.

Very true, and good points, with just a little clarification needed.

Shjade.4697

Meh

Sort of a sidenote, but to whomever claims or thinks that warriors are top DPS in the game, I’d just like to point out that if you follow Ivan’s link here, you’ll see a video of 5 warriors killing Lupicus in 51 seconds. Not too bad!

…then you look down the rest of that playlist of Lupicus kills.

5x Elementalist: 17 seconds
5x Mesmer: 27 seconds
5x Guardian: 37 seconds (numbers ending in 7 are apparently popular!)
5x Ranger (!): 41 seconds

That’s a lot of classes burning Lupicus down faster than Warriors did by a pretty distinct margin. Hunh.

I’m a little surprised thieves were behind (73s). Maybe hard to backstab him against the wall? Too much time spent trying not to die? Both? They didn’t shine in this little experiment, in any case. Necros came in at 118s. Engineers managed a 69s run. That puts Warriors pretty much dead center in the middle of the pack.

Edit: obviously against a boss who can’t be nuke-reflected as hard as Lupicus these numbers would likely be very different (particularly the Mesmer count, as Lupi just BLOWS UP when they feedback him), but hey, damage is damage.

Posted by: Ropechef.6192

Ropechef.6192

Meh

Sort of a sidenote, but to whomever claims or thinks that warriors are top DPS in the game, I’d just like to point out that if you follow Ivan’s link here, you’ll see a video of 5 warriors killing Lupicus in 51 seconds. Not too bad!

That’s a lot of classes burning Lupicus down faster than Warriors did by a pretty distinct margin. Hunh.

I’m a little surprised thieves were behind (73s). Maybe hard to backstab him against the wall? Too much time spent trying not to die? Both? They didn’t shine in this little experiment, in any case. Necros came in at 118s. Engineers managed a 69s run. That puts Warriors pretty much dead center in the middle of the pack.

Edit: obviously against a boss who can’t be nuke-reflected as hard as Lupicus these numbers would likely be very different (particularly the Mesmer count, as Lupi just BLOWS UP when they feedback him), but hey, damage is damage.

simple answer for thieves and other classes.

access to might. specifically high stacks and duration.

there is more to it than that but its a big one.

Also. Obal and the Death and Taxes crew tried very hard and intentionally to use ONLY what the classes themselves had access to. A “pure” run if you might say.

(edited by Ropechef.6192)

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

Meh

there is more to it than that but its a big one.

Also. Obal and the Death and Taxes crew tried very hard and intentionally to use ONLY what the classes themselves had access to. A “pure” run if you might say.

Biggest reason that makes mesmers, guardians and rangers faster is the easy access to reflects that burns down Lupi in P2. And eles just fgs rush it down.

Shjade.4697

Ah yes, of course, might stacks. I always forget about how much impact huge stacks of might have.

Posted by: Ropechef.6192

Ropechef.6192

Ah yes, of course, might stacks. I always forget about how much impact huge stacks of might have.

Kind of makes me wonder. I think that kill was done pre rune rework…

what would a thief group with strenth runes and sigils be able to acomplish now?

hmmmm

Shjade.4697

Maybe it’d shave a few seconds, but I mean, Thieves don’t really have good sources of generating the might in the first place. Might on crit with five crit machines isn’t bad, but I don’t think it’d compare to the kind of might stacks some other classes can maintain. But hey, who knows.

On the other hand, would strength runes and sigils kitten them compared with whatever they’d normally use instead (I’m guessing scholar runes? No idea for sigil)?

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

why play other than warrior ?

because some people are more skillful than others…..

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Warrior is only good if you’ve got one. Any more and it’s redundant.
There are other far more desirable classes for dungeons and fractals ( guardians/eles).

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”