Why do people stop playing GW2?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: beren.6048

beren.6048

I know a lot of my Guildies quit because a majority of the updates to the game have been “push F here, now go there and push F”. And it’s not fun or interactive for them.

My guild quit the game shortly after the living story. I think the living story is not interesting and very much old fashion go to NPC and read text. As far as I have seen. Think people were disappointed for not getting an extension on the personal story, but they got this old fashion way of questing.

Posted by: beren.6048

beren.6048

My guess would be that WvWs turned into nothing but a zerg fest, combined with the unbelievably stupid match setups they`re currently screwing over every player over with.
(http://mos.millenium.org/eu) ….

After months I come and try a bit of GW2 to find my server being matched up with 2 servers who are clearly 10 times more strong than us. WvW was no longer playable because where ever you go you ll find enemy zergs and all your people stop going to WvW, so now there is no zerg to run with. Matching up a rank 7 server with a rank 2 is just stupid.

Posted by: korky.7453

korky.7453

I’ve played gw1 since release (4739hours) and gw2 since pre release (1500hours). Now gw1 for me was a unique mmo when I was bored of gw1 I would go play something else and come back because I missed the game. This is not a feeling I got with gw2.

And I’m the most unlucky player in gw2 and my friends say it every time…last week we did 8 dungeons paths on one day. My best loot was 1 charged core, 1 molten core and 1 rare. All the rest was blue. Now, I wouldn’t mind if there was more money with dungeon rewards like if the end reward of a dungeon path would be 1gold instead of 26silver. And I can’t remember the last time I’ve had an exotic from a monster drop, the last time from a chest was an exotic worth 1 gold >_> that’s not exotic…I can buy 1%of my icy lodestones with that

So that’s all RNG…what else is RNG? The whole game is RNG…every undified dye, lootbag, chests, stuff in the gem store, the legendary (which is 1. a moneysink and 2. a “time-sink”.) I even forget half of the important RNG items. People with “bad luck” just rage more and when they calm down they’ll do 4 dungeon paths again to get only blues from their 12 chests.

I could go on give my opinion about 20 other things but it’s getting too long and off-topic

People say alot of things
The fact is that it’s often nonsense

Posted by: X The Manimal.5293

X The Manimal.5293

I Like this Game allot And want it to succeed , But here is why i think people quit

1. Lack of Builds/Game-play
2. Lack of rewards
3. Dungeons are boring and no decent loot drops
4. No GVG/HOH/

Also long time to fix things

I agree with your last three a lot. At first I didn’t realize how little I was getting for my efforts in this game. About 80% of the time I would get a cool green…. for another class. =/

Posted by: ltkAlpha.4136

ltkAlpha.4136

I’m not quitting yet, I recently came back after a long break, but I’ll list some things that I feel are problematic and may (and probably will) cause me to leave for good.

Poor to very poor execution of large parts of the personal story; writing, voice acting, direction – you name it; it’s just not AAA level content, even after some of the bugs have been eliminated.

Server and area population is essential for some of the PvE content to be fun (events with champions), mid level zones are scarcely populated and the hardcore (read reliably online) players are concentrated in high level areas or hunting events (“event whack-a-mole”… a sad state of affairs…).

Quality of life improvements – from the top of my head…
- TP functionality still leaves a lot to be desired
- party system for dungeons
- client optimization – I have an enthusiast class rig, but I still often experience performance drops without any visible cause, while my both my CPU and GPU are underutilized.

Profession imbalance in high-end PvE and PvP appears to be very pronounced from what I read, which has to do with the fact that the core mechanics of some professions are simply not viable and/or needed in those scenarios.

Built-in grind (I include Dailies in this category – if I’m forced to do it, it’s grind); I’m not doing the same content 40+(!) times for skins, no matter how pretty they are or how engaging the dungeons are; since that appears to be expected and there are many people in PvE who have a corresponding income (dungeon runners, farmers)…

… Prices rise. For a casual, who nevertheless expects to eventually be able to have 8 level 80s in exotic gear, this can be rather problematic, especially since we’re talking about 50+ gold for more popular builds and you simply aren’t making that kind of money from 1 to 80 by exploring and doing your story.

So, what’s most likely going to happen in my specific case is that I’ll level the remaining 4 professions to lvl 80 by completing the maps, at which point I will have seen the entire map 8 times and will need to grind for cosmetics and, unless I have the option to make gold in PvP, I’ll probably leave the game.

If I had to point to an underlying theme with all of the perceived problems listed above – there doesn’t seem to be an effective feedback loop within ANet aimed at constantly raising the quality of the game or at least not a visible one. Someone needs to be play the game on their end and re-evaluate the content with one mantra in mind – “is this polished? is this fun?” and I don’t get the feeling that that’s happening or if it is – it’s happening at an insufficient pace (I can’t imagine why the TP would be in its current state if quality was a priority). Perhaps I’m in a minority in thinking so, but I find it would be much more beneficial for the longevity of the game if ANet were to aggressively focus on a “GW2 Enhanced edition” type of project for a while, instead of focusing on the Living Story and then trying to placate the most vocal among us with whatever resources remain. Here some people would say “But they are fixing bugs and improving the game, constantly!” and “They’re a small company! They’re doing their best with what they have!”. To that I’d reply “Constantly doing something and doing enough are two very different things” and “Great, but results speak for themselves and you can’t expect players to wait forever”.

Perhaps it’s just me being impatient, who knows, perhaps ANet are doing enough, we don’t have the figures. I really hope that’s the case, because their heart is in the right place and GW2 has a ton of potential.

Posted by: Tisler.6297

Tisler.6297

• The core combat mechanics are bad/overly simplified.
  • Auto-attacking is sufficient to easily get through 99% of the content.
  • Skills are very generic. No choice in skills.
  • Most traits are ineffectual and barely change anything.
  • The AI is terrible.

When people have to resort to lies like these to bash a game, you know the game is good.

GW2 is not perfect, it has issues, but those listed in that post aren’t part of them.

Absolutely none of those are lies. At all. Don’t try and defend yourself by just saying “yeah well he’s a liar” without any actual substance to your argument.

Amusingly, you do exactly the thing you pretend I was doing. Ironic, isn’t it?

This is obviously the opinion of a person you didn’t understand the GW2 combat mechanics, or someone who thinks having a “trinity” is deeply complex.
    This is just plain wrong, an obvious lie, anyone playing the game knows that.
    This is plain wrong too. Each weapon setup has 5 different skills, and the choice of slot skills is huge for each class. Each class also has at least one skill, most classes several, that adds 5 totally different weapon skills, be is morphing the character into something else, or stuff like grenades.
    Another plain lie, anyone playing the game knows it. Changing traits also completely changes the way you play and the weapons to use.
  • The AI is terrible.
    Is it? Please list me MMOs with better AI, please. And I don’t mean scripted crap like in WoW clones, where some “boss” mobs always do the same things at the same moment, I mean real AI. Or do you mean the nonsense AI of mobs who can be “taunted” and only hit the character with the best armor and with 5 healers healing him?

As I said, all the points are, at best flawed opinion of someone who thinks GW2 should be another trinity based WoW clone, at worse just plain lies to bash the game.

GW2 is a WoW clone without the trinity.

Before you derail people’s arguments into “trinity sucks”, maybe you should realize that most of the people that are upset about the GW2 systems are comparing said systems to GW1, not the generic MMO mechanics that GW2 has altered slightly.

Guild Wars 2 is a WoW clone in the same way that Pizza Hut is a McDonald’s clone. They offer different experiences for people. No WoW clone would be complete without raiding. Or is it the mounts you’re referring to.

This game has nothing to do with WoW. If you think it does, no wonder you’re not enjoying it.

Most people play this game because they believe its a great WoW clone. After while they find GW2 is nothing to do with WoW, then they left sooner or later.
Only 1/6 of 3 millions copes still in the game, but based on gw1 population base 500k players is ok for anet.

People feel this game is dying only because so many people should not join this game joined. Now every thing is go back to whakittens should be slowly.

I think even Anet OK with that 500k population, NC will angry with that.

Posted by: Korrigan.4837

Korrigan.4837

Only 1/6 of 3 millions copes still in the game, but based on gw1 population base 500k players is ok for anet.

Source? Where did you get those numbers? Or is this just another guess?

The Farstar Alliance [TFA] – Gandara Server.
A PvX guild for mature players with a life.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Only 1/6 of 3 millions copes still in the game

Where are you pulling the numbers from?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

• The AI is terrible.

When people have to resort to lies like these to bash a game, you know the game is good.

GW2 is not perfect, it has issues, but those listed in that post aren’t part of them.

Absolutely none of those are lies. At all. Don’t try and defend yourself by just saying “yeah well he’s a liar” without any actual substance to your argument.

Amusingly, you do exactly the thing you pretend I was doing. Ironic, isn’t it?

This is obviously the opinion of a person you didn’t understand the GW2 combat mechanics, or someone who thinks having a “trinity” is deeply complex.
    This is just plain wrong, an obvious lie, anyone playing the game knows that.
    This is plain wrong too. Each weapon setup has 5 different skills, and the choice of slot skills is huge for each class. Each class also has at least one skill, most classes several, that adds 5 totally different weapon skills, be is morphing the character into something else, or stuff like grenades.
    Another plain lie, anyone playing the game knows it. Changing traits also completely changes the way you play and the weapons to use.
  • The AI is terrible.
    Is it? Please list me MMOs with better AI, please. And I don’t mean scripted crap like in WoW clones, where some “boss” mobs always do the same things at the same moment, I mean real AI. Or do you mean the nonsense AI of mobs who can be “taunted” and only hit the character with the best armor and with 5 healers healing him?

As I said, all the points are, at best flawed opinion of someone who thinks GW2 should be another trinity based WoW clone, at worse just plain lies to bash the game.

GW2 is a WoW clone without the trinity.

Before you derail people’s arguments into “trinity sucks”, maybe you should realize that most of the people that are upset about the GW2 systems are comparing said systems to GW1, not the generic MMO mechanics that GW2 has altered slightly.

Guild Wars 2 is a WoW clone in the same way that Pizza Hut is a McDonald’s clone. They offer different experiences for people. No WoW clone would be complete without raiding. Or is it the mounts you’re referring to.

This game has nothing to do with WoW. If you think it does, no wonder you’re not enjoying it.

Most people play this game because they believe its a great WoW clone. After while they find GW2 is nothing to do with WoW, then they left sooner or later.

People feel this game is dying only because so many people should not join this game joined. Now every thing is go back to whakittens should be slowly.

I think even Anet OK with that 500k population, NC will angry with that.

Without specific numbers, I sort of agree with you. That it is to say, I agree a lot of people wanted another WoW, saw it wasn’t another WoW and walked away. Some of them are still here crying about end game, and that’s okay. Because this game has no end game of the kind they want, and they sort of expected it. It’s just not the game for them.

No MMO today can do what WoW did years ago, because the market is too saturated. What defines success in an MMO today isn’t going to be found in millions of dediated players. Eve is successful with 500,000 players. I believe the player base of Guild Wars 2, now that it’s shed those who “don’t get it”, will continue to grow with people who do get it.

But I don’t really see the reason to pluck numbers out of thin air to say this. Guild Wars 2, in my mind, is a niche game…but it’s a might big niche. Mostly because existing MMOs have ignored players who play like I do for such a long time.

Posted by: woeye.2753

woeye.2753

My guess would be that WvWs turned into nothing but a zerg fest, combined with the unbelievably stupid match setups they`re currently screwing over every player over with.
(http://mos.millenium.org/eu) ….

After months I come and try a bit of GW2 to find my server being matched up with 2 servers who are clearly 10 times more strong than us. WvW was no longer playable because where ever you go you ll find enemy zergs and all your people stop going to WvW, so now there is no zerg to run with. Matching up a rank 7 server with a rank 2 is just stupid.

Some here. Some commanders on our server switched to other servers and some even quit. Our TS server, once a funny place, is now very silent.

Well done, ANet, well done.

Posted by: Rovus.5428

Rovus.5428

I used to play at least a couple of hours everyday, but I’ve began playing this game very casually. Now, I only play 2 or 3 times a week and rarely over 2 hours each play session. The game isn’t as interesting as it once was, when you could find players in almost every map. It feels like it’s sort of…withering away, almost. The PvP is the only thing that keeps my playing this game, because in WvW or sPvP I can actually interract with people. In PvE, not so much any longer.

“Subtus pennas meas, pinnas meas interitum”

Alatum Interitum

Posted by: Aristio.2784

Aristio.2784

Only 1/6 of 3 millions copes still in the game

Where are you pulling the numbers from?

98% of the time, statistics are made up 100% of the time. 50% of the time.

Posted by: Galphar.3901

Galphar.3901

It comes down to this:
Arenanet screwed the old gw1 players by saying that everything awesome about gw1 was going to be in gw2. Lore = wiped, skillsystem = gone, speedclears = gone, skillbased team game = gone. And much much more…

At the end of the day, i don’t know how anet can look themselfs in the mirror. The GW1 players made it possible for anet to make GW2. If GW1 wasn’t played by us old GW1 players, GW2 would never been made. And then they destroy every fun/good aspect of GW1. They even lie right in your face, saying they were going to take everything awesome about GW1 and put it into GW2. Like wtf.. How can u screw people like that. I have no respect for anet after GW2.

^This. I’d rather play SW:ToR as a “preferred” member right now than endure the crap that Anet has done to the GW1 playerbase with GW2.

Vayne.8563

It comes down to this:
Arenanet screwed the old gw1 players by saying that everything awesome about gw1 was going to be in gw2. Lore = wiped, skillsystem = gone, speedclears = gone, skillbased team game = gone. And much much more…

At the end of the day, i don’t know how anet can look themselfs in the mirror. The GW1 players made it possible for anet to make GW2. If GW1 wasn’t played by us old GW1 players, GW2 would never been made. And then they destroy every fun/good aspect of GW1. They even lie right in your face, saying they were going to take everything awesome about GW1 and put it into GW2. Like wtf.. How can u screw people like that. I have no respect for anet after GW2.

^This. I’d rather play SW:ToR as a “preferred” member right now than endure the crap that Anet has done to the GW1 playerbase with GW2.

Gee I’m the GW 1 playerbase…maybe you’re not speaking for all of us.

Galphar.3901

There were 2 things in Prophecies that retained players besides lore. FoW/UW and HoH.

FoW/UW was were everyone went to get the “Elite” armor, Obsidian Armor. You had to farm Ectos in UW for the mats and then you had to Fight through FoW to get to the crafter. This is what kept the PvE players around.

HoH was the place you went to group up for 8v8 PvP and to practice your teamwork for GvG(You know, what GUILD WARS was named for). This kept the PVPers happy.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

I stop playing because theres not much to do but legendary grind, fractals, or wvw.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: taomang.2183

taomang.2183

They didn’t fail to deliver. They delivered fine. Some people want more than it possible, that’s all. I’ve yet to see an MMO offer this amount of content during their first year.

Rift.

/10character

I played Rift. Rift offered far less content. If you take ALL of Telera, with it’s massive TWO starting areas, and the six races, two of which are human and two of which are elves, and you look at the size of the zones and the size of the world, you’ll find that even with all the upgrades of the first year, Rift didn’t offer the amount of content Guild Wars 2 offered AT LAUNCH.

Nice try. LMAO! Rift. Small zones. Small world. 500 some odd quests. A bunch of Rifts thrown on top of it. And half a dozen zone wide events. Too funny.

“During their first year”

Trion put out way more content during their first year than this game has since launch. With every patch they added permanent content on top of holiday events. There are rifts, invasions and major invasions that communicate with the players way better than group events in GW2. There were normal and expert dungeons, slivers and raids. And with each passing month they added more, permanently. The first world may be small but it packs a lot of content that you probably didn’t explore enough seeing how very uninformed you are about the game.

Only this month Rift got a huge update. A big zone, a load of things in the store, open world raids, a new chronicle, strongholds, and a 10 man raid. All permanent. A week later they added 2 new PVP modes.
What do we get in GW2? Temporary decorated town, a mini game and a RNG box with some skins, and a fireworks animation every 2 hours.

Yeah troll harder Vayne.

Vayne.8563

They didn’t fail to deliver. They delivered fine. Some people want more than it possible, that’s all. I’ve yet to see an MMO offer this amount of content during their first year.

Rift.

/10character

I played Rift. Rift offered far less content. If you take ALL of Telera, with it’s massive TWO starting areas, and the six races, two of which are human and two of which are elves, and you look at the size of the zones and the size of the world, you’ll find that even with all the upgrades of the first year, Rift didn’t offer the amount of content Guild Wars 2 offered AT LAUNCH.

Nice try. LMAO! Rift. Small zones. Small world. 500 some odd quests. A bunch of Rifts thrown on top of it. And half a dozen zone wide events. Too funny.

Trion put out way more content during their first year than this game has since launch. With every patch they added permanent content on top of holiday events. There are rifts, invasions and major invasions that communicate with the players way better than group events in GW2. There were normal and expert dungeons, slivers and raids. And with each passing month they added more, permanently. The first world may be small but it packs a lot of content that you probably didn’t explore enough seeing how very uninformed you are about the game.

Only this month Rift got a huge update. A big zone, a load of things in the store, open world raids, a new chronicle, strongholds, and a 10 man raid. All permanent. A week later they added 2 new PVP modes.
What do we get in GW2? Temporary decorated town, a mini game and a RNG box with some skins, and a fireworks animation every 2 hours.

Yeah troll harder Vayne.

As I said, because the word was LAUGHABLY small, and I do mean that, at launch, Trion had NO CHOICE but to add HUGE amounts of content to the game. After a year of updates, they had probably less cotent than Guild Wars 2 had AT LAUNCH.

Of course, you probably don’t realize this because you weren’t looking for it, but if you count the number of zones in Rift, look at the size of zones in Rift, look at the number of quests in Rift, look at the number of starting areas, the number of dungeon paths and count them ALL up at the end of a year…

Guild Wars 2 still had more content AT Launch.

Just the personal story alone and WvW are two major things Rift had nothing like. Cities? Do you remember all those big sprawling cities in Rift? Didn’t think so. How about starting areas (all two of them). How about racial skills (yeah huh?).

Just stop trying, it’s silly to even try to compare.

Rift had 11 small zones at launch. Not 25 relatively large zones.

(edited by Vayne.8563)

taomang.2183

Rift.

/10character

Yeah troll harder Vayne.

As I said, because the word was LAUGHABLY small, and I do mean that, at launch, Trion had NO CHOICE but to add HUGE amounts of content to the game. After a year of updates, they had probably less cotent than Guild Wars 2 had AT LAUNCH.

Of course, you probably don’t realize this because you weren’t looking for it, but if you count the number of zones in Rift, look at the size of zones in Rift, look at the number of quests in Rift, look at the number of starting areas, the number of dungeon paths and count them ALL up at the end of a year…

Just the personal story alone and WvW are two major things Rift had nothing like. Cities? Do you remember all those big sprawling cities in Rift? Didn’t think so. How about starting areas (all two of them). How about racial skills (yeah huh?).

Oh yeah? Prove it. I can go to Rift’s forums and get you everything they made during the first year. The last relevant content GW2 had was Fractals. Which are like what? 8 mini dungeons? Rift has added more dungeons, raids, slivers, and chronicles, not to mention constant additions to rifts, raid rifts, minor and major invasions. The last major event we got was the karka queen after like nearly a year.

After a year Rift had more actual content than GW2 will have in a year.

In the end it’s all about what you prefer. They are two different games after all. But you’re only lying to yourself if you think GW2 really has more content than Rift after 1 year time. I wish i had your fanboy glasses.

Posted by: Crash.9186

Crash.9186

Personally I think people quit this game because of the lack luster content and empty rewards (yes that’s right, I said lack and content in 1 line).

Lets think about it properly, the content in this game involves what? 1-80 is level up period through either boring questing where the only real difference is that instead of picking them up from an NPC, you just automatically get them when you’re near them, so just do those 1000 times like in any other MMO and you will hit 80, or just do the WvW route which speaks for it self anyway, or of course if you have some gold spare from another character or something then just craft your way to 80.

So now were 80, what next? well there’s instances…and that’s basically it, you can get 3 different gear types from each instance and in general you only really need to do 4 of them out of the 7 of them which means you can just skip 3 of them out unless you’re just doing them for the poops and giggles, so now you’re geared, what next? fractals is the only PvE thing remaining I can think of, though I stopped doing them at level 16 due to how stale and repetitive it gets.

Now we have WvW we can do but lets be honest here, the current meta is just a bad joke of blobbing and arrow cart defending, the only remote fun you can get is either running in an organized guild or running as a small team of 5-10 to go around capping kitten, escorting dollys in hopes of a fight or just simply roaming.

Then we have Spvp which in it’s own way is a different game in it self seemings as you basically start at level 80 and have access to all gear/trait builds from the start, the rest is your own game.

Now after WvW, fractals and perhaps repeating the same 4-7 instances over and over and over, whats really left? nothing basically, it doesn’t take long for these things to get old, especially if you’re not in a good guild to keep things fun, I can easily say that the game was worth the money and kept me entertained for half/ a year but after that…it just isn’t one of those MMOs that you can keep playing for years to come simply due to it’s dry PvE content, lack of progression and any kind of reward on this game is like being handed a polished kitten .

Vayne.8563

Rift.

/10character

Yeah troll harder Vayne.

Oh yeah? Prove it. I can go to Rift’s forums and get you everything they made during the first year. The last relevant content GW2 had was Fractals. Which are like what? 8 mini dungeons? Rift has added more dungeons, raids, slivers, and chronicles, not to mention constant additions to rifts, raid rifts, minor and major invasions. The last major event we got was the karka queen after like nearly a year.

After a year Rift had more actual content than GW2 will have in a year.

In the end it’s all about what you prefer. They are two different games after all. But you’re only lying to yourself if you think GW2 really has more content than Rift after 1 year time. I wish i had your fanboy glasses.

11 zones doesn’t = 25 zones
520 quests doesn’t = 1500 dynamic events
Nothing to compare to hearts or personal story at all
Dungeons in Rift at launch 8…with the harder paths 16….doesn’t equal 32 dungeon paths.

Even with everything they added, how can you even BEGIN to compare?

Aristio.2784

I still think Vayne is missing the point that we’re not talking about launch content, rather, the permanent content added in the first year of each game.

It doesn’t matter who had to do what. It doesn’t matter who started with X or had Y feature. I’m just saying Rift added more permanent content in their first year than Guild Wars 2 has added so far. If Guild Wars launches an entire new zone with tons to do, then we can come back to the debate.

However, Guild Wars 2 has been a bit stale with adding permanent things to.

taomang.2183

11 zones doesn’t = 25 zones
520 quests doesn’t = 1500 dynamic events
Nothing to compare to hearts or personal story at all
Dungeons in Rift at launch 8…with the harder paths 16….doesn’t equal 32 dungeon paths.

Even with everything they added, how can you even BEGIN to compare?

Are you purposefully forgetting Raids and Chronicles? What about raid rifts?

GW2’s dungeon paths are a poor way to defend the dungeons since we have 8 dungeons with 4 different paths, aka 16 different bosses per dungeon. The number of dungeons is just a number of bosses, that’s why we dungeon.
Rift not only had 8 dungeons that had 3-5 bosses in each of them, they changed mechanics in expert modes. Raids? Are you not mentioning raids to just add to how right you are? What about Raid rifts? 6 elemental plains and each of them had 2 raid rifts? Each raid rift featuring 2-3 bosses? That’s only the group content that required an organized group to do. They weren’t things a zerg on the map could just do.

Content are things to do. And there just isn’t enough of things to do in GW2.

Even now with every month Trion is adding constant and permanent things to Rift. in GW2 we get holiday events, mini games and “living story” that will return MAYBE next year.

As i said last relevant content was fractals, some improvements in WvW and thank god there is some sPVP update.

Which is basically my answer to your original post where you stated that no other developer pushes out content so fast. Not to how much things were at launch that you keep insisting on.

Vayne.8563

I still think Vayne is missing the point that we’re not talking about launch content, rather, the permanent content added in the first year of each game.

It doesn’t matter who had to do what. It doesn’t matter who started with X or had Y feature. I’m just saying Rift added more permanent content in their first year than Guild Wars 2 has added so far. If Guild Wars launches an entire new zone with tons to do, then we can come back to the debate.

I’m not missing the point. I’m saying that even with everything Rift added in the first year, there’s still more content in Guild Wars 2 at launch.

As I’ve said before, there are two ways to handle launching an MMO these days. You can have a really polished very small world, or you can have a HUGE world that needs a lot of work. Guild Wars 2 went with the latter way.

So they had more content up front, and it’s taken a year to get it to work right. Rift went the other way. That’s my point.

taomang.2183

This is exactly what i wanted to point out. Thank you, Aristio.

I don’t think i need or want to add anything else.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

In game rewards are rather underwhelming. This isn’t just the value, but also the presentation.

I mean going on an epic adventure so that you might get yet another piece of porous bone ? Such mundanity has its place but its all I see.

After many hundreds of hours of play at level 80 I have yet to see a single drop that I can use.

Posted by: Resonance.4216

Resonance.4216

because there’s no reward for skill, and it’s become a casual game full of mediocre players.

Elementalist of Oceanix [OCX]
http://www.oceanix.com.au

Aristio.2784

I’m not missing the point. I’m saying that even with everything Rift added in the first year, there’s still more content in Guild Wars 2 at launch

You missed the point in your second sentence.

From my very first post I was trying to say that Rift added more content in its first year. You took it a different way for some reason.

Edit: That period is not a comma.

(edited by Aristio.2784)

Vayne.8563

I’m not missing the point. I’m saying that even with everything Rift added in the first year, there’s still more content in Guild Wars 2 at launch

From my very first post I was trying to say that Rift added more content in its first year. You took it a different way for some reason.

But if Rift added more content in a year than Guild Wars 2 did and still had less than Guild Wars 2 at launch it’s irrelevant how much they added. They still had less than Guild Wars 2 at launch.

As I said, if you have a tiny, well polished game, it’s easier to add stuff….but if the stuff they added was still less than Guild Wars 2 had at launch, how is that bragging rights? How is that admirable? It’s just a different way of doing things.

Guild Wars 2 put out more content up front and spent time working on fixing it, Rift put out less content and fixed it as it went. In the end, there’s still more to do over all in Guild Wars 2 than their was in Rift after ten months. And if you’re not a raider that’s a whole lot more.

Posted by: Ainianu.5693

Ainianu.5693

When i left it was not due to any fault on GW2 part, i simply tried some other games a bit (with friends/brother) and got hooked on one for a while and when i got bored of that i came back to GW2 (the other game i mostly played was Vanguard if interested)

Vayne.8563

When i left it was not due to any fault on GW2 part, i simply tried some other games a bit (with friends/brother) and got hooked on one for a while and when i got bored of that i came back to GW2 (the other game i mostly played was Vanguard if interested)

Ah man. Vanguard was a game that had mad potential back in the day. It had tons of problems, but the idea behind it was totally cool. Unfortunately time and neglect did that game in…and the fact that no one could play it at launch because the system requirements were so high.

Aristio.2784

But if Rift added more content in a year than Guild Wars 2 did and still had less than Guild Wars 2 at launch it’s irrelevant how much they added. They still had less than Guild Wars 2 at launch.

As I said, if you have a tiny, well polished game, it’s easier to add stuff….but if the stuff they added was still less than Guild Wars 2 had at launch, how is that bragging rights? How is that admirable? It’s just a different way of doing things.

Guild Wars 2 put out more content up front and spent time working on fixing it, Rift put out less content and fixed it as it went. In the end, there’s still more to do over all in Guild Wars 2 than their was in Rift after ten months. And if you’re not a raider that’s a whole lot more.

It’s relevant for this single reason:
Everything in this game can be completed in about a month and a half.

Once you’ve got world completion, level 80, ran every dungeon path, and got your favorite skins; storming the walls of Stonemist Castle can only hold your interest for so long.

Again, you’re missing the point. Hardly anything permanent is being added to Guild Wars 2.

Vayne.8563

It’s relevant for this single reason:
Everything in this game can be completed in about a month and a half.

Once you’ve got world completion, level 80, ran every dungeon path, and got your favorite skins; storming the walls of Stonemist Castle can only hold your interest for so long.

Again, you’re missing the point. Hardly anything permanent is being added to Guild Wars 2.

Everything in this game can be completed in 1.5 months if you rush through everything and play a million hours. Everything in Rift could have been completed in the same time, except maybe the raids.

But you still can’t ignore temporary content, because it’s still content. It’s more stuff for people to complete.

I mean if you can get world completion, all the dungeons, all the armor you want, all the fractals, and all the content in the game in a month and a half…okay so what? You paid $60 for the game. Congrats. Now go play another game.

I finished all the content in Rift in a month and I was going SLOW. As stuff came out, I completed it, and it wasn’t that long and didn’t take that much time.

The problem is, there’s STILL more stuff to do in Guild Wars 2 than there is in Rift, particularly if you don’t raid.

Posted by: Balkanwarrior.5132

Balkanwarrior.5132

This doesn’t change the fact that they tried to cram GW2 with stuff. Stuff thats meaningful and stuff thats useless. When you give a fat kid the last slice of cake after he’s eaten a whole pizza, he might not want the cake. GW2 gave us so much to do, but once we started doing all these things they turned out to be fluff, bad, RNG influenced etc. The things we were left with that didn’t get screwed over on, are mediocre at best and definitely not good enough to hold a player over long enough. This is why people quit but Anet/NCsoft couldn’t care less. There are still tons of players dropping hefty amounts of real life $$ on what many people call ’’useless’’. Yeah it’s a subjective term, but so many players eat it up. GW2 is bound to fall flat on its face. Right now it’s on a hospital bed dying and the doctors only care about how much the family will pay for treatment. We the players, especially GW1 veterans are the family and the doctors are NCsoft/Anet. They might care a little about the situation we’re in, but ultimately they care about the dollar signs people keep throwing them. I wouldn’t be surprised if 6 months down the road, LA is only occupied by players wearing quaggan hats and flashy town clothes

Vayne.8563

This doesn’t change the fact that they tried to cram GW2 with stuff. Stuff thats meaningful and stuff thats useless. When you give a fat kid the last slice of cake after he’s eaten a whole pizza, he might not want the cake. GW2 gave us so much to do, but once we started doing all these things they turned out to be fluff, bad, RNG influenced etc. The things we were left with that didn’t get screwed over on, are mediocre at best and definitely not good enough to hold a player over long enough. This is why people quit but Anet/NCsoft couldn’t care less. There are still tons of players dropping hefty amounts of real life $$ on what many people call ’’useless’’. Yeah it’s a subjective term, but so many players eat it up. GW2 is bound to fall flat on its face. Right now it’s on a hospital bed dying and the doctors only care about how much the family will pay for treatment. We the players, especially GW1 veterans are the family and the doctors are NCsoft/Anet. They might care a little about the situation we’re in, but ultimately they care about the dollar signs people keep throwing them. I wouldn’t be surprised if 6 months down the road, LA is only occupied by players wearing quaggan hats and flashy town clothes

In the opinion of some people, this is true. The problem is, different people like different things.

There isn’t enough for a hard core player in this game. I’ve never said otherwise. This game doesn’t have enough difficult content. It has fractals, arah, maybe CoE that’s pretty much it.

But that doesn’t make the game bad. It just means there’s not enough for your play style. What I’ve continually tried to point out is the game wasn’t really designed for your play style. Anet is talking about trying to make a living world, rather than a challenging raid. It’s a very different direction.

People like me like SOME of what Anet is doing. Maybe not all of it, but some of it. For example, I really really like Dragon ball and I really liked Crab Toss before it. Might not be your cup of tea, but that doesn’t make that content meaningless. I also like Keg Brawl. Again, you might not.

I’ve only recently gotten the dungeon master title, by finishing the last path of Arah that I needed.

People who play this game for 1000 hours and aren’t altholics WILL run out of things to do. No different than any other game.

I’m not really sure what people expected.

Posted by: Puddles.6385

Puddles.6385

This is by no means meant to represent everyone who has quit, or even most of them, but I think this could be why for some people.

In EVERY other MMO that has levels, we have learned that all the rewards worth working for are at max level. There is also absolutely no reason to visit low-level zones in these games, because there are not any max-level rewards to be had, and the content is extremely trivial.

I’ve seen quite regular complaints from players suggesting they plowed through to 80 (getting <30% map completion on the way) and quickly got tired of the three zones currently available for max level characters.

In actuality, however, all the zones in the game have a possibility of granting rewards that are not exactly trivial for max-level characters. Heck, I’ve gotten not one, but two sets of Holographic Dragon Wings, both on a <10 character, and both in Plains of Ashford. While I do not expect that these results are common, it illustrates that, in order to get rewards that you may actually want at max level, you are by no means limited to CS, FGS, and SSC.

Galphar.3901

I’d say the biggest reason I’m leaving GW2 is because of the broken promises that were made by ANet. You can say I misunderstood what they said when they announced GW2, but in my opinion they didn’t deliver on what they said. I took them to mean we would basically get GW1 but with an updated story and an open world. We got none of that. I gave Anet the benefit of the doubt for the past 10 months but with no real changes or challenges coming I’d rather go play a different game than sit in LA spamming LFG or logging in for an hr a day to blow through the dailies.

Posted by: FateOmega.9601

FateOmega.9601

Different people like different stuff. Old players leave and new players come. Old games get completed and new games get played.

Its all normal. Players going and coming is normal. There are still alot of players in the game. Asking why do players leave is like asking why people don’t eat the same thing everyday. If you eat hamburgers everyday, even if you change the toppings, eventually you will want to eat something else.

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

I’d say the biggest reason I’m leaving GW2 is because of the broken promises that were made by ANet. You can say I misunderstood what they said when they announced GW2, but in my opinion they didn’t deliver on what they said. I took them to mean we would basically get GW1 but with an updated story and an open world. We got none of that. I gave Anet the benefit of the doubt for the past 10 months but with no real changes or challenges coming I’d rather go play a different game than sit in LA spamming LFG or logging in for an hr a day to blow through the dailies.

Can I have your stuff then?

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Posted by: AlietteFaye.7316

AlietteFaye.7316

This is by no means meant to represent everyone who has quit, or even most of them, but I think this could be why for some people.

In EVERY other MMO that has levels, we have learned that all the rewards worth working for are at max level. There is also absolutely no reason to visit low-level zones in these games, because there are not any max-level rewards to be had, and the content is extremely trivial.

I’ve seen quite regular complaints from players suggesting they plowed through to 80 (getting <30% map completion on the way) and quickly got tired of the three zones currently available for max level characters.

In actuality, however, all the zones in the game have a possibility of granting rewards that are not exactly trivial for max-level characters. Heck, I’ve gotten not one, but two sets of Holographic Dragon Wings, both on a <10 character, and both in Plains of Ashford. While I do not expect that these results are common, it illustrates that, in order to get rewards that you may actually want at max level, you are by no means limited to CS, FGS, and SSC.

Because the event is up and running and you got lucky.. Otherwise you would have gotten tons of low level junk blues and greens to NPC. That is what people are talking about.

twitch.tv/aliettefaye

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Ive been playing low level content on my level 80 for the event items/coffers myself.

So far Ive opened better than 2500 coffers without getting any reward of note (4 risen knights).

Posted by: WRay.2391

WRay.2391

Guild Wars 2 was one of the most fun games I ever played after launch. I have all 8 professions at 80 lvl with 100% map completion etc. But updates killed my interest.
1. More and more grinding and ANET constantly nerf places where ppl grind.
2. Ascended gear. To make ascended you need like 2 weeks of grind + time gated mats. I like all my chars, I play all of them time to time. It’s like a year to make weapon for all of them. And armor is coming. All change ppl wanted in craft is possibility to make precursors.
3. Build switch. I was able to change build from cond to dps and get all exotic gear with like 20 gold and I good to go for WvW again. With ascended – forget about it.
4. About precursors. I didn’t get one with all time spent. If you are not lucky – no legendary (but it’s not major reason, I’m Ok without it if I’m on par with others statwise).
5. WvW is zerg game now. Needed to switch to hi population server.
6. As for me to more new content. Considering amount of grind for ascended, money, WvW achievements, daily achievement, guild missions …
7. World bosses update. It’s stupid to force ppl to create separate guild to defeat a world boss. Just my opinion. I spent a lot of time for teq (like 2 attempts from 7 are successful with a big zerg). If there is not a big zerg you don’t even want to try, no reason.

As a result I decided that game is developing in a way I don’t like and I quit.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: McSlappy.1372

McSlappy.1372

I hear a lot of complaining that people quit playing GW2, and from the personal experience of my previous 80-man guild, that’s true. After two months since the release I was the only one playing, and after almost a year I’m only one playing.

So my question to you is, why do you think people stop playing Guild Wars 2?

Because it’s not the game that was advertised for years and pitched by the company. It fact it’s about as opposite to what was promised as possible. No vertical progression? Oops we broke that 2.5 months after release suckers. No grind in our game! Ohh just look at our Legendarys they’re totally based on a very low chance of flushing what you grind down our Mystic Toilet. Ohh don’t worry our game isn’t pay to win. However if you spend several hundred $ you can buy enough in game gold that you can purchase your Legendary items right off our Trading Post. We don’t call this pay to win however because we promised we wouldn’t have that.

McSlappy.1372

GW2 players can leave and come back any time and do so constantly without being “left behind” on the gear treadmill.

This is a 100% false statement. If you left when ascended gear came out and recently came back there is nothing to catch you up to Ascended gear that has been ground out by other players. You get to start in and try to catch up which is good luck. Other games like WoW if I start playing now I can start getting the base tier of this seasons gear in an hour or two. WoW has what you just said. Not GW2.

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Holy mother of a necro!

People leave because they get bored. I blame it on the zerg.

Posted by: Flash.6912

Flash.6912

Same here. My 100 men guild all quit after 1 month into the game when launched.

1. Boring spvp mode
2. Mindless Living World (most stuff can be done in 1 DAY and don’t connect to the real lore. )
3. Tons of nerf on the farming spots ( Lot of people enjoying legit farming too! Let them play how they want to play.)

R.I.P Kumu <3

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

A few thing’s would cause me to quit…….

(In no particular order).

1. The Ranger long bow/short bow.
2. The Ranger pet.
3. The trading post “Error attempting to sell” issue.
4. The endless nerfs to classes and rewards. (DR and RNG).
5. The endless grind for stuff I’m never going to actually get.
6. A good game with a proper Ranger.

There’s probably a few more thing’s I can’t think of right now.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

Posted by: Relentliss.2170

Relentliss.2170

Combat lacks any sort of tactical depth or creativity.

The reward system is weak.

The classes are imbalanced and some just don’t make sense.

Performance of the game is poor.

These would be the major ones.

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional

Anet lied (where’s the Manifesto now?)

McSlappy.1372

Think you have it exactly backwards. Lots of people tried the game because they wanted something different from WoW. Which it was before Lost Shores. Then when it became a bad WoW clone with many aspects that Blizzard realized were bad idea’s long ago and didn’t incorporate the good stuff they then left.

Also about population. Yeah don’t think so. They don’t even give an accurate picture of their product I doubt they’re giving accurate results of their player base. With 3.5ish mil boxes sold cool. With max ever concurrent users great. How man login and play regularly? Countless people that have huge guilds that are now empty. Not representing other guilds or anything just devoid of people logged in. So huge % of those boxes sold just aren’t playing.

Posted by: Csele.1647

Csele.1647

the direction of game design.. they turned the idea of the original gw2.. into this new livingstory thing that is a completly a diferent game… i, saw countless people quiting after the livingstory started and the removal of the dungeon team

#temporary content & livingstory
#RNG
#endless bugs everywhere specially in dungeons
#overall optimization , lagg almost everyday everywhere..
#bad design in wvw which was suppose to be endgame.. is not rewarded.. and unplayable for most of us (foreigns)
#poor poor pvp
#complete ignore of their own player base suggestions
#GMs ignoring forum complains
#huge lack of build variety
#piñatas and pumpkins , etc