Why no /inspect ?

Why no /inspect ?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Huck.1405

Huck.1405

I don’t care for char inspection at all. That’s a badly misused ability for players who think that your gear is more important than how well you play your char.

“You can teach ’em, but you cant learn ’em.”

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

Because my gear is none of your frigging business.

I am an elite.

I am not an elitist.

And I agree with this post 100%.

PS: whether or not an /inspect would lead to elitism is beside the point. Reread the quote.

an elite player is a player who is really good at the game.
an elitist is someone who looks down on other people for being “bad” at the game, worse than they are. One deal with gameplay, the other is attitude. You can be good at the game without being a jerk, or you could be a jerk without being good at the game. Or you could be good at the game AND be a jerk, or be bad at the game AND be a jerk. The whole point here is trying to avoid making people into jerks.

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: hamsteak.1368

hamsteak.1368

pve in gw2 is pretty easy i don’t really see the point

Auger Claw (PvE/Spvp) – Thief
Notalkingplz (PvE/Spvp) – Guardian
Rough Trade (PvE)/Urok Ashpaw (Spvp) – Engineer

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Phoenix.7845

Phoenix.7845

it’ll lead to elitism.

Pure bullkitten, the elitism is already here. Besides anyone can get zerk stats so there is nothing elite about that.

Because people will use it to demand you have the right build, which is stupid.

And it is stupid why exactly?

I can’t stand that attitude where you have to be the most efficient gear/build possible or you’re not wanted.

That requirements are made only for farming when gold per hour factor is very important. Why would anyone want to make 10 min run when thay can make 7 min one?

If you join my party, it is my business, because I will have to make up for your bad gear.

+1 – Many people have kittenty build they enjoy but when you go to a dungeon think of the other players. For some people effective = fun. All the elitism you demonize so much doesn’t exist outside of farming parties. If you have problems with 4 war 1 mes farming parties with full zerk gear just avoid them and problem solved. Inspecting would make it a lot easier for those parties. It also exists in other MMOs and is a nice feature.

People have to start from somewhere and not allowing them to join because you want to complete a dungeon a few minutes quicker is more selfish than using magic find gear in my opinion.

There are tons of parties that will accept them without worrying about their gear/profession/build. Being new doesn’t justify trying to join a farm party that advertises need for zerk wars while being an ele with green/rare gear.

Also just to note, I don’t personally use magic find gear and never will in dungeons but personally I’ve seen people in magic find gear doing really well.

They would perform even better with normal gear.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

I am an elite.

I am not an elitist.

And I agree with this post 100%.

PS: whether or not an /inspect would lead to elitism is beside the point. Reread the quote.

an elite player is a player who is really good at the game.
an elitist is someone who looks down on other people for being “bad” at the game, worse than they are. One deal with gameplay, the other is attitude. You can be good at the game without being a jerk, or you could be a jerk without being good at the game. Or you could be good at the game AND be a jerk, or be bad at the game AND be a jerk. The whole point here is trying to avoid making people into jerks.

People will exhibit less than socially desirable behavior (e.g. be “jerks”) whether or not there is a game mechanic or a tool in game that demonstrates their natural inclination.

Nothing in game will “make” them that way. It may help foster that undesirable behavior. There are “tools” outside the game that allow that now (see the GW2 looking for group site.)

The point isn’t that the /inspect will foster elitism.

The point is that no matter what behavior may or may not occur as a result of an /inspect, my gear, my build, my playstyle is NOT anyone’s business, unless I am doing something that is not within the bounds of the EULA.

bewhatever covered this quite nicely in his post.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

(edited by goldenwing.8473)

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Phycog.7861

Phycog.7861

Too bad about GW2LFG though, since all I see are “COF / zerk build / ping gear” calls flooding it. I shouldn’t need to be a “zerker” class because of the needs of the party. Inspection of gear should be left out. You want to know my stats? See me in action and then maybe I’ll tell you, myself.

Why no /inspect ?

Phoenix.7845

Too bad about GW2LFG though, since all I see are “COF / zerk build / ping gear” calls flooding it. I shouldn’t need to be a “zerker” class because of the needs of the party.

This is a problem with the lack of balance. In CoF only thing you need is raw DPS so people who want to farm efficiently have to advertise for zerk wars because in the current meta it is the fastest way of farming money. Also you don’t have to be zerk, there are parties that accept anyone and do p1, just go with them.

Inspection of gear should be left out. You want to know my stats? See me in action and then maybe I’ll tell you, myself.

You don’t have to ping gear and people don’t have to take you to the party. It works both ways.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: AtlasSi.9130

AtlasSi.9130

That requirements are made only for farming when gold per hour factor is very important. Why would anyone want to make 10 min run when thay can make 7 min one?

There are tons of parties that will accept them without worrying about their gear/profession/build. Being new doesn’t justify trying to join a farm party that advertises need for zerk wars while being an ele with green/rare gear.

I would rather take that 10 min run over the 7 min one. Relaxed and fun people to be around is one hell of alot more fun than elitist pricks.
How often is it you see a lfg…that isn’t full…that takes all classes/professions/gear?
Besides, my 79 ranger in 75 carrion greens no acc, rings, or backbrace preformed better survival wise…than 2 zerk wars that were in the party at the time. Gear doesn’t mean kitten. I agree this should not be put into the game. Zerk kitten is overrated.
Long story short. Skill > Gear. End of it.

18 80s | 12 100% | r177 | wvw r970 | 9,000+ hours
BP → DR → FA → Mag → BP → FA

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Jaall.3420

Jaall.3420

Funnily enough Lehova is proving our point that gear inspect is a bad thing because it’s just making it quite clear the attitude that people have and how much it would effect the casual player.

1. My name begins with an ‘i’.
2. Casual players do not care if they’re being inspected or not. Bads, MF leeches, 5-signet/healing shout warriors, condition damage guardians and the rest of people who do not know their classes and expect being piggybacked do.
3. It’s spelled “affect”.
4. There is nothing inherently wrong with the ability to see what other players are wearing. You do not have to party with elitist jerks, they already have static groups to steamroll all the content.

This genuinely made me lol!

1. It’s hard to tell whether it’s an L or an I but yes I didn’t check although putting such a petty response as a first point just outlines the stupidity of this post.

2. I know my class and have a build that is 90% conformist with full zerker gear and power/tough/crit – power/vit/crit trinkets making my build pretty much what people want. I also never use magic find and never will in groups, and am extremely casual to the way I play yet I don’t want inspect for very good reason, and that is because of people like you.

3. The fact that 2 of your 4 points are correcting grammar/spelling just shows you have no actual point or argument and just want to bulk up your response. I may have said effect instead of affect but effect is still a viable choice given what I had said and is not wrong. Less used maybe but not wrong at all.

4. A considerable amount of elitists don’t have static groups, which is evidently clear from GW2LFG. There are a lot of people who make pug groups who demand such and such builds and to ping gear. This is would consider elitism and am wholly against it and for good reason. Introducing an inspect gear system would encourage said attitudes as that is the only real need for one. The game is surviving absolutely fine without one except for the people who feel they need to judge others on gear/builds. If you feel you’re being held back by people you can still check without an inspect, and it gives people a choice whether to share with you or not.

Why no /inspect ?

Phoenix.7845

I would rather take that 10 min run over the 7 min one.

When doing a daily run I don’t bother as well. But when I need some gold and have to spend 1-2 hours then 10 min runs aren’t acceptable.

Relaxed and fun people to be around is one hell of alot more fun than elitist pricks.

For normal gampelay: yes. For CoF farming – no. When farming I usually chat on TS with friends as most players care only about gold when farming which isn’t a bad thing.

How often is it you see a lfg…that isn’t full…that takes all classes/professions/gear?

In map chat pretty much all the time.

Besides, my 79 ranger in 75 carrion greens no acc, rings, or backbrace preformed better survival wise…than 2 zerk wars that were in the party at the time. Gear doesn’t mean kitten.

And a ranger using rare sword/warhorn and GS that can stay alive will outperform archer ranger every time. Pity rangers use bows and then cry that they have no DPS. Also in zerk party when you kill boss in 10-30 seconds you don’t have to worry about survival since mobs die too fast to actually kill anyone.

Zerk kitten is overrated.

Long story short. Skill > Gear. End of it.

Show me one post that says otherwise. With same skill a player with better gear will always outperform the player with worse gear. And the problem is that you can’t measure skill before going in but you can check gear and amount of achievement points. And when I go in with full exo/ascended zerk party and everyone above 6k achi points it always ends in a lot of great runs, so forgive me but I’ll stick to gear checks.

Why no /inspect ?

Phoenix.7845

A considerable amount of elitists don’t have static groups, which is evidently clear from GW2LFG. There are a lot of people who make pug groups who demand such and such builds and to ping gear.

And there is nothing you can do to stop it. When players farm they want to do it the most efficient way. There is nothing wrong with that. Also why do you care so much about what people post on GW2FLG. Aren’t we free to look for any group we like? Is anyone forcing you to join such group? Don’t people have the right to farm in an efficient way just because you feel bad?

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

No, I want to inspect everything. From traits, gear, and skills. Everything from the ground up.

When the party members ping their build onto the chat, I can fully utilize this information. Is that elementalist a bunker or support? Should I use this warrior as a backline or frontline? Etc etc.

ask the people what kind of thing they’re specked for and what kind of weapons they’re using.
When it comes to utility abilities most of us should have everything unlocked, so just ask for one ability or another when the situation arises.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: codeman.3425

codeman.3425

I left WoW over gear checks and it was pleasure that no one could see my stats or gear in here. If you want a Gear Score then you will see massive amounts of players leaving the game. WoW divided its community through gear checks ,please leave it out of GW2.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Jaall.3420

Jaall.3420

Nothing wrong with it at all, the way it is now. I have absolutely no problem at all with people being like this because other people can get away from it. Nobody has to show their gear if they don’t want to be judged by these elitists and that way it works. It stops working when people are forced to show their gear and consequently get judged for it.

Why no /inspect ?

penatbater.4710

People will exhibit less than socially desirable behavior (e.g. be “jerks”) whether or not there is a game mechanic or a tool in game that demonstrates their natural inclination.

Nothing in game will “make” them that way. It may help foster that undesirable behavior. There are “tools” outside the game that allow that now (see the GW2 looking for group site.)

The point is that no matter what behavior may or may not occur as a result of an /inspect, my gear, my build, my playstyle is NOT anyone’s business, unless I am doing something that is not within the bounds of the EULA.

Ah yes I agree jerks will always be present. However, as I’ve said, the /inspect WILL foster the jerkiness attitude because you are rewarding players for being jerks. Now I’m not saying jerks shouldn’t be allowed to play, but when they get to antagonize other players, it’ll pose a real problem. /inspect might not make them that way, but it’ll certainly help drive people into that orientation. GW2lfg, despite being an incredibly valuable service, has already done that. The point is that there are tools in a game (not necessarily gw2) that can help foster a particular attitude. League of legends is already trying to curb the toxic attitude of their players by using the honor system, where you click on a button that says that you think this player is a good team mate, friendly or helpful, as well as thinking your opponent is an honorable opponent. And I think this is merely the biggest concern people have over the /inspect feature. Granted elite people would want to know their party’s build to maximize effectiveness. But should that come at the cost of degrading other people? I don’t think so.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

Ah yes I agree jerks will always be present. However, as I’ve said, the /inspect WILL foster the jerkiness attitude because you are rewarding players for being jerks. Now I’m not saying jerks shouldn’t be allowed to play, but when they get to antagonize other players, it’ll pose a real problem. /inspect might not make them that way, but it’ll certainly help drive people into that orientation. GW2lfg, despite being an incredibly valuable service, has already done that. The point is that there are tools in a game (not necessarily gw2) that can help foster a particular attitude. League of legends is already trying to curb the toxic attitude of their players by using the honor system, where you click on a button that says that you think this player is a good team mate, friendly or helpful, as well as thinking your opponent is an honorable opponent. And I think this is merely the biggest concern people have over the /inspect feature. Granted elite people would want to know their party’s build to maximize effectiveness. But should that come at the cost of degrading other people? I don’t think so.

I believe we are in violent agreement.

/Inspect enables if not creates an environment that damages, degrades, and destroys community, as well as arguably both build and gameplay diversity

I agree: /inspect can be used in an abusive way. And that’s never ok.

My argument is that /inspect has no place in GW2 because the concept of inspect itself is fundamentally flawed.

In reality, the only real purposes that are served by /inspect are abusive and divisive. And an invasion of privacy.

Most importantly, I as a player do not believe that anyone else has any right to private information about my choices in regards to spec, gear, or anything else.

@OP: there have been several threads over the last months asking this same question. Searching the forums, you will find similar responses to those expressed here.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

(edited by goldenwing.8473)

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: WatchTheShow.7203

WatchTheShow.7203

Funnily enough Lehova is proving our point that gear inspect is a bad thing because it’s just making it quite clear the attitude that people have and how much it would effect the casual player.

1. My name begins with an ‘i’.
2. Casual players do not care if they’re being inspected or not. Bads, MF leeches, 5-signet/healing shout warriors, condition damage guardians and the rest of people who do not know their classes and expect being piggybacked do.
3. It’s spelled “affect”.
4. There is nothing inherently wrong with the ability to see what other players are wearing. You do not have to party with elitist jerks, they already have static groups to steamroll all the content.

1. “I” “l” one is lowercase L, one is uppercase i. which is which.
2. I’m causal, and I care
3. no argument, your grammar is gooder.
4. While true, adding gives elitist jerks incentives to roll with pugs, because they can control said Pugs gear. this leads to a worsened environment for puggers (like me)

The “l” has a tiny tail at the bottom which makes it a lowercase L, while the “I” doesn’t, which makes it an uppercase i. I will agree though it’s hard to see.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: AtlasSi.9130

AtlasSi.9130

For normal gampelay: yes. For CoF farming – no. When farming I usually chat on TS with friends as most players care only about gold when farming which isn’t a bad thing.

It may not be a bad thing for you or those that would like gold and nothing else. But, cutting out some of the community on runs just because they don’t fit your requirement on gear/build…isn’t exactly the best.

In map chat pretty much all the time.

Glad to hear you are on a higher populated server than most.

And the problem is that you can’t measure skill before going in but you can check gear and amount of achievement points. And when I go in with full exo/ascended zerk party and everyone above 6k achi points it always ends in a lot of great runs, so forgive me but I’ll stick to gear checks.

Nice, so you are one of those elitist that only thinks for himself and a quick run. Nothing wrong with it. I avoid people like you. I mean look at it…you judge people by a number. Lol. I tend to give everyone a chance. Instead of insta kick because they don’t fit my requirements.
Adding this would only make elitism even worse than it already is.
We both have different views. I’m done. Moving on now.

18 80s | 12 100% | r177 | wvw r970 | 9,000+ hours
BP → DR → FA → Mag → BP → FA

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: GoddessHrist.8472

GoddessHrist.8472

it’ll lead to elitism.

Problem is thats already happened.

well into deeper elitism

How so? I’m genuinely curious.

Being asked to ping gear at least lets you know that the group is oriented towards efficiency so you can choose to join or not. An inspect feature takes that control out of your hands and will be misused more than it will be used appropriately.

Not if it can be toggled off. Asking for inspection to be turned on would be no different than asking for a gear ping.

No one has yet made a good argument as to why gear inspection is worse than gear pings. Most of the posts are arguing against gear checks in general, and those have been in the game forever and aren’t going anywhere.

Why no /inspect ?

penatbater.4710

it’ll lead to elitism.

Problem is thats already happened.

well into deeper elitism

How so? I’m genuinely curious.

Being asked to ping gear at least lets you know that the group is oriented towards efficiency so you can choose to join or not. An inspect feature takes that control out of your hands and will be misused more than it will be used appropriately.

Not if it can be toggled off. Asking for inspection to be turned on would be no different than asking for a gear ping.

No one has yet made a good argument as to why gear inspection is worse than gear pings. Most of the posts are arguing against gear checks in general, and those have been in the game forever and aren’t going anywhere.

Because gear ping is voluntary, but /inspect is not. And if such feature were to exist, even if theres an option to allow viewing or not, people would be suspicious if you didnt let them see it, make them think your build isn’t up to par with what they want, and kick you nonetheless, effectively making said option useless.

This feature is also gonna be useless because outside of cof 1, pinging gear is largely unheard of. I have never met anyone asking me to ping my gear in an ac/ta/cm run, nor has my build ever been in question.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: GoddessHrist.8472

GoddessHrist.8472

Because gear ping is voluntary, but /inspect is not. And if such feature were to exist, even if theres an option to allow viewing or not, people would be suspicious if you didnt let them see it, make them think your build isn’t up to par with what they want, and kick you nonetheless, effectively making said option useless.

This feature is also gonna be useless because outside of cof 1, pinging gear is largely unheard of. I have never met anyone asking me to ping my gear in an ac/ta/cm run, nor has my build ever been in question.

No suspicion would be raised if the system was designed properly. For example, default to off and only enabled for a specified duration before switching back off. Despite the limited application, after seeing GW2 players come on the forum and brag how they intentionally lie with gear pings, I see only positives in adding an inspect feature.

Why no /inspect ?

penatbater.4710

No suspicion would be raised if the system was designed properly. For example, default to off and only enabled for a specified duration before switching back off. Despite the limited application, after seeing GW2 players come on the forum and brag how they intentionally lie with gear pings, I see only positives in adding an inspect feature.

No matter how it is set up, elitists will still badger you why you aren’t letting them see your gear, which will still lead to suspicions. And as I’ve said, gear pinging is only used in cof 1. No other dungeon needs/requires it.

Personally though, in all my time running dungeons, I have never met anyone demanding for me to ping my gear or to tell my build. Some people ask, yes, and ofc I tell (because I’m quite proud of my build). But no one demands me to ping my gear or to tell my build…

which makes me suspect that the seemingly large support for /inspect on the forums might only be a vocal minority… o.o

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Tumbero.3945

Tumbero.3945

Sometime if they inpect you the randoms will copy and paste ur set and ask all day about ur build.

Anyway i never liked that option.

Also if u wana pvp or go to dungeons get a guild or some friends. I really dont care going with people who dont know to play , i normaly go with another 2 always and teach the new guys.

Nothing more 0 drama.

SBI Firstborn.
(LX) Legion

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: RoChan.1926

RoChan.1926

Horrible in THEIR view, that’s the problem here. My characters all have great builds and can hold their own in most fights, I don’t need elitists whining about my build because it doesn’t measure up to THEIR standarts.

That’s great. For solo play. In a group it is more than reasonable to expect everyone to play with the group’s interest in mind.

I am sorry but this is a poor argument for a gear inspection and leads me to believe that what those who want a gear inspect really don’t care about group play at all. If they knew anything about group play then they would already be aware that gear information provides no knowledge towards a group build. It neither tells them what build or utilities the person is using/planning on running with or hints towards their willingness towards a cooperative effort. It also doesn’t tell them if the person is using the gear to accentuate certain aspects of their build or using the gear to make up in what they lack in the build. What is being suggested is a good indicator of cooperative play is akin to looking at someone’s achievement points as an indicator of skillfulness. It’s arbitrary at best and guess work indefinitely. Also one never really knows if what the community has deemed a ‘fail’ build truly is a failed build if it is in the wrong hands. Just like community deemed ‘good’ builds can be failures in the wrong hands a ‘fail’ build could be amazing in the right hands.

What the inspect option does, based on the comments for pro inspect, is provide a sense of familiarity with an antiquated attitude from other MMOs (i.e. gear score = bad dungeon partner). I suggest leaving that baggage at the door for this game and focus on other aspects such as possibly learning what group play actually is and how creative builds can be more beneficial than some per-determined meta. This may enhance the view of other classes and builds not just for this game but for future games as well.

There is nothing that an inspect function tells anyone other than the gear information which people then assume certain things from.

Optee Kaal Allusion | The Evil Empire
[TRY][POV]
“Kitten the yaks, so persistent about everything.” -Ebay

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

They should increase the damage of mobs so those zerkers will have a hard time – seriously.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

So after watching some of the pvp spectating it seems they added a viable inspect window. Why dont we have this in PvE? Seems all the complaints of MF in dungeons, Multiple Condition people, and players not carrying their weight could be helped by this. You could make it group only or add an option to make it public or not. Perhaps even make it a link from the player like a /Show build command instead.

Because this isn’t WoW, and needs to stay out of GW2.

Why no /inspect ?

penatbater.4710

They should increase the damage of mobs so those zerkers will have a hard time – seriously.

Increase damage and reduce toughness/hp. I don’t mind zerkers mowing down mobs, but they gotta be kitten good at it.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Ballads.2509

Ballads.2509

My main thing with /inspect was my curiosity. I see a piece of gear on someone i like i want to /inspect. I see someone wtfpwning in WvW i want to see what build/gear they run. Look cool with 2 legendary’s dancing in front of the bank, i want to /inspect. I am just the curious Asura.
Would you all be as opposed to /show build? I’d like an in game way to share builds no more typing 20-i-vii,20-iv-x,0,0,30-iii-iv-xi or w/e your build for that toon is.

(edited by Ballads.2509)

Why no /inspect ?

knives.6345

Increase damage and reduce toughness/hp. I don’t mind zerkers mowing down mobs, but they gotta be kitten good at it.

Deal. Except for bosses. Improve boss. Make it randomly deal 1 hitter on 1 direction. Something like that.

Why no /inspect ?

penatbater.4710

Deal. Except for bosses. Improve boss. Make it randomly deal 1 hitter on 1 direction. Something like that.

Sure, but not random though. I want some bosses to have a “charged” attack that deals massive damage (not 1 hit) that is also telegraphed, but certain conditions are happening while the charge is happening that makes it difficult to simply dodge (i.e. boss will entangle a wide area with those roots that immob and you have to kill to get out of while charging, after maybe 3 seconds, he unleashes massive aoe damage that you have to dodge at a relatively small window to escape, something like that). Yes to improved boss mechanics, no to rng!

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Konrad.9587

Konrad.9587

Nice, so you are one of those elitist that only thinks for himself and a quick run.

A quick and smooth run rewards the whole party. A bizzare mix of random awkward stats on your masterwork/fine gear, or lack of certain utilities (the lone guardian without reflections in grawl fractal at 40+) does only harm. And MF in its current form is the ultimate act of selfishness.

I tend to give everyone a chance. Instead of insta kick because they don’t fit my requirements.

Kudos for not kicking 5-signet warriors or 1500 longbow/bear rangers.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

Probably because gear doesn’t make that much of a difference and they wanted to avoid people getting judgemental over it.

They could add something like they had in GW1 where you could show your skill bar to other players. That seemed to satisfy most people. I always had to explain that I had a fiery bow string to make Conjure Flame/Mark of Rodgort functional, but I don’t remember anyone wanting proof that you had attributes (traits) to match your build or had runes and insignias on all your armor.

Actually, when you pinged your build in GW1 (once templates were released), it would give you the attributes as well.

I’m all for it. Not because I’m a zerker-elitist prick who wants to bar everyone that doesn’t run my builds, but because there are plenty of PUGs running absolutely kittened builds. Luckily, I barely ever PUG, so it doesn’t affect me that much, but I’d still like to see it. Especially because it could together with a template system like in GW1. Since I run different builds on my Guardian and Elementalist depending on if we’re doing dungeons/fractals. Zoning into fractals 48 with your zerker build on your Guardian while being the only one is kind of a bummer. ALthough ironically, we finished that 48 in under an hour and I barely got downed.

It’s funny to see all the casuals cry though. I’m pretty sure Anet won’t add an inspect tool, since their stance has always been against it for elitist purposes, but seeing the baddies panic because they can ‘hold their own against a champion’ is pretty funny. Good for you, but just because you can solo a champion doesn’t make your build a good team build. I’d be a full on kitten if I used my elementalist’s dungeon build to try to solo somes champions, because I’m made of wet tissue paper when running it. But that isn’t because I’m a bad player, or because my build is bad. It’s because they’re full on zerker builds designed to work in a party setup with tactics that are designed for zerker builds.

But go on though, feed us your casual tears, it only proves the point about how some of you don’t understand the difference between group play styles and solo play and that having a sustainable build in solo play doesn’t prove you’re a good player or that your build is any good for team builds.

Although, admittedly, when I PUG, I run slightly different builds as well to account for subpar players and tactics to have some leeway.

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

Why no /inspect ?

knives.6345

Sure, but not random though. I want some bosses to have a “charged” attack that deals massive damage (not 1 hit) that is also telegraphed, but certain conditions are happening while the charge is happening that makes it difficult to simply dodge (i.e. boss will entangle a wide area with those roots that immob and you have to kill to get out of while charging, after maybe 3 seconds, he unleashes massive aoe damage that you have to dodge at a relatively small window to escape, something like that). Yes to improved boss mechanics, no to rng!

I don’t mind RNG – keeps me playing but that’s just me.

Now that you mentioned, 1 hit ko is too much – I still stand by the random direction though at random times. Make most bosses like Lupi of Arah – one of the finest bosses around.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

I’m all for it. Not because I’m a zerker-elitist prick who wants to bar everyone that doesn’t run my builds, but because there are plenty of PUGs running absolutely kittened builds.

If you don’t like PuG builds, then don’t play with PuGs. Seriously. Why force others into your style? Just find people who play like you do, and leave others out of it. It’s nobody else’s job to make sure you get what you want.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

We should be able to use whatever build we want.

You can use whatever you want when you are alone, but in a party there are four other people you should think of. People ought to respect their fellow team members and don’t force them to carry anyone in masterwork or sentinel/cleric/shaman/rabid/carrion mix of gear. Same goes with selfish magic find leeching, it helps you, but kicks the other four people in their faces.

If you join my party, it is my business, because I will have to make up for your bad gear.

Then eventually it will be you sitting in the city looking for a group for hours at a time and not finding one. I stand with the rest.. My gear is none of your friggin business. And if I run a dungeon I create my own party.

Together we stand in the face of evil!

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

It is when you join my dungeon party with a full rare magic find set. If you think that’s okay to have a selfish attitude and make others work for your rewards. Then these kinds of people (or leeches I like to call them) I can do with out in my groups.

You may think it is your business, but it’s not.. You’ll figure that out when you are sitting in the city spamming for a group and can’t find one.

Together we stand in the face of evil!

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Iehova.9518

Iehova.9518

“Hey guys let’s kitten the most used gear because this guy doesn’t like it and would rather play healing shout warrior”.

This is what you just said.

My gear is none of your friggin business

You’re right. Until you’re in any group play where the needs of the 4 other players far outweigh your needs to MF leech, be in cleric gear or whatever.

You’ll figure that out when you are sitting in the city spamming for a group and can’t find one.

Why don’t you just go “+4 dungeon train” in /g and have a full party within a minute?

(edited by Iehova.9518)

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Because builds don’t equal skill. And in PVe, even if my build isn’t a “standard” build, it works quite well for me.

In Guild Wars 1, people used to ask me to ping my build, after which they wouldn’t accept me in their groups. So I’d go solo the content with heroes, come back and wave at them, trying to build their group.

A lot more people out there think they have a clue than actually have one.

Same. It’s so funny to see people looking for elitist groups only. We wanted to do COF123 with guildies and needed one more. A mesmer begged for invite and when he saw engi, ranger, necro and guardian, he left. He was still there after our 3 runs.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Why no /inspect ?

knives.6345

“Hey guys let’s kitten the most used gear because this guy doesn’t like it and would rather play healing shout warrior”.

If that particular gear is destroying diversity – then yes, that’s what I said. Except for the warrior part.

Go to gw2lfg – you’ll see tons of “zerker warrior and 1 mesm only” – wth is with that?

Why no /inspect ?

knives.6345

My gear is none of your friggin business

You’re right. Until you’re in any group play where the needs of the 4 other players far outweigh your needs to MF leech, be in cleric gear or whatever.

You’ll figure that out when you are sitting in the city spamming for a group and can’t find one.

Why don’t you just go “+4 dungeon train” in /g and have a full party within a minute?

But no. Instead – they only look for berserker – no soldiers, no others (not even sure if they would allow knights). And they specifically look for a class now.

How cool is that? I need to either create a zerker warrior/mesm to play/farm?

Why no /inspect ?

Iehova.9518

If that particular gear is destroying diversity – then yes, that’s what I said. Except for the warrior part.

When there is an optimal gear setup there will be no diversity among people who know how to play and want to extract the maximum of their class’ potential. There will always be an optimal gear setup.

See where I’m going here? Your attempts to ‘diversify’ gear are futile.

Go to gw2lfg – you’ll see tons of “zerker warrior and 1 mesm only” – wth is with that?

CoF1 farmers. Pay them no regard; repeatedly doing the same thing for hours on end every day will burn you out extremely fast.

Instead – they only look for berserker – no soldiers, no others (not even sure if they would allow knights). And they specifically look for a class now.

Soldier and knight are inferior to zerker. Nothing inherently wrong in looking for the optimal setup.

How cool is that? I need to either create a zerker warrior/mesm to play/farm?

If all you ever intend to do is farm CoF1 until it’s getting “fixed”, then yes. Otherwise, feel free to roll whatever you wish.

(edited by Iehova.9518)

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

When there is an optimal gear setup there will be no diversity among people who know how to play and want to extract the maximum of their class’ potential. There will always be an optimal gear setup.

Except that finding a group of elitists takes far longer than it takes for a group of people to complete the content with less popular builds.

Not to mention the lack of drama by not going with elitists. It’s pretty refreshing.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Why no /inspect ?

Konrad.9587

A mesmer begged for invite and when he saw engi, ranger, necro and guardian, he left. He was still there after our 3 runs.

Perhaps he did 6 runs in the meantime and simply took a break?

My gear is none of your friggin business.

Another fine example of not understanding the difference between solo play and group play.

Why no /inspect ?

Iehova.9518

Except that finding a group of elitists takes far longer than it takes for a group of people to complete the content with less popular builds.

The people who are you’re referring to as “elitist” won’t pug to begin with. They have static premades who they’ve been working with for years, carrying over from other games.

The people who won’t go CoF1 unless they have 4 zerker warriors and 1 mesmer are either scrublords who don’t know anything else or people who intend to farm the path for a few hours.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Llyren.3904

Llyren.3904

Now personally I let others play and form their groups how they want to. Want to take everyone? Great, that is your choice. Only want a certain range of specs and gear? Great, also your choice.

Want to start namecalling? Then yeah, I’m going to not want to play with you in game. Whether the names are elitist, or noob, or well really whatever.

The folks posting the restrictions they want in their group advertisement are doing us a favor. We may or may not want to run the dungeon in whichever way they are posting, whether its story, or kill everything, or speedrun, or farm full berserker’s gogogo. I also won’t try and join ones where I do not fit the restrictions.

The players I object to are those that think only their way is right. I see that attitude in all ranges of play.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: RoChan.1926

RoChan.1926

My gear is none of your friggin business.

Another fine example of not understanding the difference between solo play and group play.

I guess I should ask more directly… how does gear tell you that I am built for group play?

Optee Kaal Allusion | The Evil Empire
[TRY][POV]
“Kitten the yaks, so persistent about everything.” -Ebay

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: dronzer.8392

dronzer.8392

See where I’m going here? Your attempts to ‘diversify’ gear are futile.

I agree, diversification of gear works great in concept but not in practice – optimal gearing for content is always been the way forward and once a basis has been estabilished anything less is always considered futile.

the inspect feature should be implimented, its a staple of mmorpgs regardless of the game clasification/audience, it seems many of those staples aren’t present in GW2.

Inspection is actually used in the game today, though at higher level fractal PUGS, you’re always asked to link your AR gear to verify your qualification, seeing chat spammed with this is a pain and on some occassions i see some players kicked for the stats theyve chosen in the AR gear they’ve linked if they can’t adequately explained their reasons for those choices.

This will always be an inherent problem, and the more difficult- team based content that is added, the more apparent this type of thing becomes- mainly because players do not want to waste their time or carry others regardless of their reasons.

(edited by dronzer.8392)

Why no /inspect ?

Iehova.9518

I guess I should ask more directly… how does gear tell you that I am built for group play?

If your gear contains an inkling of MF, you’re not built for group play.

That’s just one example, others really depend on your class.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

I’m all for it. Not because I’m a zerker-elitist prick who wants to bar everyone that doesn’t run my builds, but because there are plenty of PUGs running absolutely kittened builds.

If you don’t like PuG builds, then don’t play with PuGs. Seriously. Why force others into your style? Just find people who play like you do, and leave others out of it. It’s nobody else’s job to make sure you get what you want.

If you bothered to read my post, you’d see it contains the words

Luckily, I barely ever PUG, so it doesn’t affect me that much

In fact, those were the exact words that followed your quote…

Anyway, like I said, I don’t want it to force people into my playstyle, I want it to avoid morons running masterwork cleric’s gear on a warrior or the likes. Someone running a Knight’s DPS/sustain warrior is just fine. Someone running a hybrid support/damage ele is just fine. Somone running a Condition damage guardian is not (I’ve seen it).

There’s still a big gap to close between pants-on-head-kittened builds and ‘OMFG zerker or GTFO’ builds…

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

Why no /inspect ?

Konrad.9587

I could write an elaborate post, but the best way to answer your questions is to type two letters : MF.