Why not add Duel.

Why not add Duel.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Darkstar.6178

Darkstar.6178

Another point to address, “It’s simply change this code…” No chances are the coding isn’t a simple manner. If it were why wasn’t it added already? They have bigger issues to handle and if that were to ever occur it would have to wait.

What, you don’t think it would only take “a day”?

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

Another point to address, “It’s simply change this code…” No chances are the coding isn’t a simple manner. If it were why wasn’t it added already? They have bigger issues to handle and if that were to ever occur it would have to wait.

What, you don’t think it would only take “a day”?

(WHAP)
:P

That’s Business/Project Manager bull speech! As a programmer (not for games though sorry) certain systems take more than a day. We just BS from time to time in order to look like miracle workers.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: UrMom.4205

UrMom.4205

There’s plenty of open world dueling, it is called WvW.
If that form of it doesn’t stand well with you then place your complaints there.
Or at least ask for it in the sPvP area, where it would probably do some good.

Some folks in various threads like this have made the claim it would bring back people into the PvE maps. If that were the case ANet should really put the duel system in the Mists because there’s been constant wailing that sPvP is boring.

PvP belongs in the Mist, plain and simple. PvE needs a stronger story, interesting dynamics, and various other polish to some dungeons.

Back in GW1 times it was the Battle isles, which was separated from the PvE elements.
Yes other games might have this in their titles, but GW2 is not them.
It is GW2 and it should do what it wants instead of following other games.

Should I wish for skiing jet pack battle armor since Tribes has it?
Or ask for the Meld from Firefall? Pandas as a playable race?
No, because that’s not GW2.

If you miss the days of open PvP and can find titles that do such a mechanic go play them for a while. Bringing it to the open map will not guarantee it stop folks from camping Lion’s Arch.

The PvE map is for cooperation on missions and playing out storylines, the Mists is where people should go to bash one another’s heads in.
As stated earlier in my post, if any place needs dueling it would be the Mists because playing capture point game mode time and time again is boring.

Yes Costume Brawl exists and it is mostly played in the cities (LA the prime example) in at least my server. I’ve rarely seen anyone use it in PvE. No doubt they would fear someone troll them by dragging mobs to their area.
So if they are in PvE and try to Costume Brawl, chances are they would be in a remote area. We might as well keep them in a safe remote area like the Mists so their PvP experience isn’t interrupted.

tldr version PvP folks need the Mists cleaned/improved upon. PvE just need better story and rewards to drag folks out into maps. Combining the two doesn’t make sense when technically we have two game modes and a “middle ground”.

I’m willing to accept a pvp only in the mists idea…but my main issue is I want to be able to duel with my pve/wvw gear against friends on different servers…i’m on YB and have friends on BG, SOR, hell even Manvil Rock. If they had some sort of battle arenas where all you would have to do is guest to a server and duel someone i’d be 100% happy with that.

Team Raven [TR](Dead)
Wu Táng Financial [Táng] – YB

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

I think ANet takes everything too seriously. Dueling isn’t something we need an arena / special place for, or rewards or “some new system mechanics we are working on but can’t say more about that now”.

It’s playing out there in the world, meeting somebody, “Hey nice to meet you, want to do duels”, you right click on him / her, Request Duel, she/he accepts/declines it. You both bow to each other (would be a nice addition before the fight starts) while there is a countdown timer from 3, then the duel begins. One will keep standing, the other isn’t. Another nice addition would be to not “kill” your opponent, just simply win when he would get downed and help her / him up.

THAT.
SIMPLE.
Takes a day to add it to the game.

You’ve never even taken a programming class I’m willing to wager. Tell me… what happens when you and another guy are dueling and I decide to cast a chaos storm on the top of you two?

you arnt in the duel as it isnt with you. The other 2 players are able to fight without some dummys being dumb. They can add this pretty fast. As he/she said. Hit player then dual then dual starts and ends after first person goes down. No one else can come in between and you cant hit anyone else but the person you are dueling.

They have dueling in old mmos. The only reason they dont let you open world duel in pve because they want ppl to suffer the boring baby arena spvp is. Half the stats with those tiny maps.

The code right now recognizes other players as allies. If I cast a chaos storm on you it would, as it stands now, try to buff you both. This is what I’m talking about… the code would need a serious revamp and extensive testing for that to change. I’ve been programming nearly 20 years now. I’m quite familiar with how what appears to be the simplest change on the surface can have far reaching and often hazardous effects as the ripple effects are felt through the system. Trust me on this. You don’t ‘just add dueling’ to a system this huge. It’s inevitable that something, somewhere, breaks.

So then, you minimize the risks. We know we have PvP areas already incorporated in the Mists. You can use the existing systems to allow two people alone into a private map designed for dueling and have little to no risk added to the PvE world (assuming the code is segregated).

It’s a simple Occam’s Razor type scenario. The simplest solutions are often the best. Why risk adding bugs to the PvE side to incorporate dueling (which also has a ton of negative support, so you’d risk alienating a significant portion of the players as it is) when it far simpler and more logical to have it as an extension of the PvP system which likely already has significant reusable pieces in place?

#TeamJadeQuarry

Why not add Duel.

Atlas.9704

I’m willing to accept a pvp only in the mists idea…but my main issue is I want to be able to duel with my pve/wvw gear against friends on different servers…i’m on YB and have friends on BG, SOR, hell even Manvil Rock. If they had some sort of battle arenas where all you would have to do is guest to a server and duel someone i’d be 100% happy with that.

To which I completely sympathize with your predicament.
WvW and sPvP haven’t received the amount of attention they probably should get in terms of aesthetics. You should be able to show up in that hard earned PvE/WvW gear in the sPvP area. If they are ‘encouraging’ PvE folks to go into WvW for map completion I see no reason why gear is limited in sPvP like this.

According to the roadmap article they posted a while back it looks like things are heading in that direction.

In the months that follow, we will be working to eliminate the difference between PvP and PvE gear. Players will be able to earn gear in PvP that can be carried over to PvE and vice versa. This means that players who have carefully crafted their appearance in one area of the game will have a way to carry that look over to other areas of the game.

So at least it is a first step in the right direction.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Why not add Duel.

VOLKON.1290

In Truth, if we spent money in this product, we all should have the same experience whatever we can, comparing WvW with Tyria, ppl like pve, ppl like pvp, and if the Company can make PvP/Duels possible in Tyria Maps just for the fun for those who want pvp there, why not???

So those who want it should take precedent over those who do not? Why is their “fun” more important then the fun of those who do not want it? Open world dueling is annoying. Why should my game play be made less fun so yours can be made more fun?
If you want dueling, take it to the mists. If the devs want to add instanced dueling, fine, go to it and leave the rest of us out of it. Open world dueling? Not on your life. It’s bad enough having to deal with the costume brawls, dueling would be far worse in every way.

If you don’t mind me asking, why is open world dueling so annoying? not trying to start drama, just genuinely curious.

Is there really anything more annoying than some form of pop up (in this case a dueling challenge of some sort) appearing while you’re in a fight? Imagine the griefing people could do at an organized Tequatl kill if a bunch started spamming duel requests while people are trying to focus on the fight.

Dueling in the PvE world has far too much troll potential. (This is completely aside from the facts regarding coding mentioned earlier.)

#TeamJadeQuarry

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: Cat Has Ducks.1982

Cat Has Ducks.1982

The game is not balanced with 1v1 in mind it made for teams. So if they did add in duel one to two classes will be the best and that is what happens in the wvw dueling.

So I have to transfer to a different server to duel my friend? Forget that. Just give us the option, and let that be that. Also a nice way to quickly test WvW builds, by being able to duel your friends, and they give you accurate feedback.

Or spvp to test idea builds. If your testing a wvw build on one person your already have a major flaw in your test for a wvw build and make show that the build your testing is unusable in a wvw setting.

PvP can’t come close to the stat diversity and stat ceiling achievable in WvW or PvE. Which is good, but bad since you can’t test your exact build in there. And notice how I put a plural there, “Friends”. I have many who play many classes, and testing out bursts or condi pressure vs them would be nice since trying to find a competent person to 1v1 in WvW can be quite difficult. And for the record, I don’t WvW to run around in a zerg ball.

Lord Chuck I – Guardian
Chuck The Stampede – Engineer
[Lg] Agatha – Dragonbrand

Why not add Duel.

UrMom.4205

In Truth, if we spent money in this product, we all should have the same experience whatever we can, comparing WvW with Tyria, ppl like pve, ppl like pvp, and if the Company can make PvP/Duels possible in Tyria Maps just for the fun for those who want pvp there, why not???

So those who want it should take precedent over those who do not? Why is their “fun” more important then the fun of those who do not want it? Open world dueling is annoying. Why should my game play be made less fun so yours can be made more fun?
If you want dueling, take it to the mists. If the devs want to add instanced dueling, fine, go to it and leave the rest of us out of it. Open world dueling? Not on your life. It’s bad enough having to deal with the costume brawls, dueling would be far worse in every way.

If you don’t mind me asking, why is open world dueling so annoying? not trying to start drama, just genuinely curious.

Is there really anything more annoying than some form of pop up (in this case a dueling challenge of some sort) appearing while you’re in a fight? Imagine the griefing people could do at an organized Tequatl kill if a bunch started spamming duel requests while people are trying to focus on the fight.

Dueling in the PvE world has far too much troll potential. (This is completely aside from the facts regarding coding mentioned earlier.)

valid point, however a simple setting to “block all dueling requests” would solve that issue.

Team Raven [TR](Dead)

Why not add Duel.

Atlas.9704

valid point, however a simple setting to “block all dueling requests” would solve that issue.

Which is under the assumption that ANet would program such a feature.
Certain things like Guild Invites could use such a feature as well, but no joy at the moment.

Why not add Duel.

UrMom.4205

Which is under the assumption that ANet would program such a feature.
Certain things like Guild Invites could use such a feature as well, but no joy at the moment.

lol true..

Team Raven [TR](Dead)

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

The game is not balanced with 1v1 in mind it made for teams. So if they did add in duel one to two classes will be the best and that is what happens in the wvw dueling.

So I have to transfer to a different server to duel my friend? Forget that. Just give us the option, and let that be that. Also a nice way to quickly test WvW builds, by being able to duel your friends, and they give you accurate feedback.

Or spvp to test idea builds. If your testing a wvw build on one person your already have a major flaw in your test for a wvw build and make show that the build your testing is unusable in a wvw setting.

PvP can’t come close to the stat diversity and stat ceiling achievable in WvW or PvE. Which is good, but bad since you can’t test your exact build in there. And notice how I put a plural there, “Friends”. I have many who play many classes, and testing out bursts or condi pressure vs them would be nice since trying to find a competent person to 1v1 in WvW can be quite difficult. And for the record, I don’t WvW to run around in a zerg ball.

Your right pvp is not as derisive as wvw / pve gear but its a lot more balanced. 1v1 in spvp means a lot more then 1v1 in wvw. Even if you do not run in the bigger group your going to be running with smaller groups or even fighting smaller groups. WvW is not made for 1v1 its made for 1+x v 1+y and in being such a way some build and classes will always win in the mock 1v1 you see ppl do in wvw.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Why not add Duel.

VOLKON.1290

So you’re adding yet another layer of complexity that adds potentially more points of failure…

#TeamJadeQuarry

Why not add Duel.

UrMom.4205

So you’re adding yet another layer of complexity that adds potentially more points of failure…

I’m under the assumption it could be a simple coding addition in the settings window..but i’ve been known to be wrong in the past..

Team Raven [TR](Dead)

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

There are duels in almost every MMO so far and people never complained

.Im talking about games that i played and never herd complains on duels.everything u people say are selfish and makes no sense but whatever i wont bother.I can understand people that whine about lack of some content but people that whine about having some normal content its just…..pffff.The fact is that on latest live interwiev Anet said that they will try to add duels in game,if you want prof then go and check youtube.Im done with this,i will wait for my duels

You’re done? Done with what? Making up statistics and excuses?

You’re a perfect example of why this game doesn’t need dueling. Go play one of those other games if they were so l33t that no-one complained.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Wanna duel? Go to Custom Arenas.

Personally, I’m happy not to get spammed with duel requests from random lowbies who feel the need to constantly jump up and down at all times….

(Bad memories from back in World of Warcraft)

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: Zemarca.6218

Zemarca.6218

I think Dueling should be added to just the mist PVP lobby. This make sense because your testing your build with other players and it also will get more people in to the mists PVP lobby. It would give you something to do while waiting for queue to pop.
Maybe make it so you have to be in a party with the person to duel or something.

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: kntz.1420

kntz.1420

New maps with open PvP would be a plus….

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: Darfod.9375

Darfod.9375

i think it would be a basic function that would improve the game greatly, for instance any waiting time for dungeons, fractuals, etc could be spent dueling friends and it also creates a competitive element that has been known to create interest in mmorpg’s.

If it is the “competitive element” that you are looking for, then I guess that you would be happy with full corpse-looting being implemented in all GW2 PvP scenarios?

If I kill you in a PvP fight, you would be happy for me to loot your gear – (I don’t mean the ridiculous WvW kill rewards of a green item and some gold; I would take EVERYTHING you are currently wearing or holding, leaving you naked and weaponless. I could then either equip your ascended suit and legendary weapon, or sell them, or just salvage it all and drop the ingots on the ground next to your corpse.)

This is competitive MMO gaming.

Anything else is just fighting for the sake of bragging-rights.

Even if you are happy to accept the T&C of the new “Competitive GW2”, the dueling area should be outside the standard PvE areas.
As much as I would like to see dueling, I appreciate that an awful lot of GW2 players don’t want see it in their normal world, so let them be.

If you want to duel me, then it is either for “I want to take your suit”; or “I want to kill you for bragging”; or “I just want to kill you because I don’t like you.”
The scenery has no part in this equation. There is no need to do this in a publid area.

… so we meet in the “dueling arena lobby”, both wearing our favorite suit;, you challenge me; I accept; we fight; (I win and destroy your suit and weapons, or you win and destroy mine)
Nobody is affected except me and you.

…Any dueling has to be in an “I know the risks, and wan t to be here” area.

Outnumbered and facedown in WSR borderlands…
… again

Why not add Duel.

kntz.1420

All gw2 has going for it is spiffy graphics and the most innovative combat system that’s ever been implemented in an mmo. It’s just too bad i can’t use that combat system to down an actual challenging boss for loot that’s worth a kitten … or kill some friends I know in duels.

Why not add Duel.

kntz.1420

This is just someting that i always liked in games, and sometimes i miss it in guild wars 2. The game it self is already awsome but why not add duel in open world and WvW maps? Always fun to duel people you meet

All gw2 has going for it is spiffy graphics and the most innovative combat system that’s ever been implemented in an mmo. It’s just too bad i can’t use that combat system to down an actual challenging boss for loot that’s worth a kitten … or kill some friends I know in duels.

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I don’t get the argument that open world PvP (dueling) would populate more maps. When playing PvE what is the advantage of having a map populated by people PvPing? Sure there are more people there, maybe, but they are not engaged in PvE which is the point of PvE maps. It’s would just be PvP suddenly populating PvE maps with no benefit to PvE players. More people in a map =/= a good thing if players are not engaged in map events themselves.

The Burninator

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

All the reasons people are listing that oppose dueling being added are some of the dumbest things I’ve ever read.

And your comment is supposed to support open world dueling how?

You are not doing much for your cause with statements such as that.

I’ve listed many reasons as to why it should be added in different threads regarding dueling, I don’t care to repeat them since all the anti-dueling people ignore them.

Why not add Duel.

JustTrogdor.7892

All the reasons people are listing that oppose dueling being added are some of the dumbest things I’ve ever read.

I’ve listed many reasons as to why it should be added in different threads regarding dueling, I don’t care to repeat them since all the anti-dueling people ignore them.

Yeah PvE needs people like you with that attitude trolling around. If you are going to support open world dueling perhaps you should not use insults to support your cause. It is that very attitude that people don’t want to see spill into PvE.

The Burninator

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

No its not Neural cause there is no reason for it?Why whouold majority of people lose duels cause of minority?All of those reasons u people saying are dumbest things i ever read in my life.Open World PVP can just improve game and Anet said that they will try to add duels and that makes me happy

You stated that in all the other MMO’s that dueling exists in, that no-one has complained. You’re pulling stats out of your backside. Prove your statement.

I dont need to prove anything since u cant prove me that people here dont want duels.Im talking about games that i played and never herd complains on duels.everything u people say are selfish and makes no sense but whatever i wont bother.I can understand people that whine about lack of some content but people that whine about having some normal content its just…..pffff.The fact is that on latest live interwiev Anet said that they will try to add duels in game,if you want prof then go and check youtube.Im done with this,i will wait for my duels

Actually you DO need to prove it (which you can not do) as your statement is 100% wrong. I have played several other games with dueling and have seen complaints about it, and I have complained myself. So you stating no one complained is false. Also, I normally will not comment on grammar, but PLEASE put spaces between your sentences as your typing is very annoying to read.

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: Riss.1536

Riss.1536

Sure there will be a lot of kitten asking everyone duels, let’s just add a report function for duels harassment or add an icon on your char to tell that you don’t accept duel from anyone.
Even so I’d like to duel my friends in the open world instead of afking with them.
And no, mist pvp is no good as long as the custom arena is in gem stores.

Why not add Duel.

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Yeah PvE needs people like you with that attitude trolling around. If you are going to support open world dueling perhaps you should not use insults to support your cause. It is that very attitude that people don’t want to see spill into PvE.

Oh no! don’t add dueling because of the bad attitudes people MAY bring!

Perfect example of the kind of player we do not want to have to deal with. When I mentioned the “community” that would make dueling a bad idea, THIS is what I was talking about.

Why not add Duel.

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Sure there will be a lot of kitten asking everyone duels, let’s just add a report function for duels harassment or add an icon on your char to tell that you don’t accept duel from anyone.
Even so I’d like to duel my friends in the open world instead of afking with them.

You can stop saying it can be ignored or have a button to not accept duels. It’s been suggested by almost every single player who supports dueling for over a year now. We get it. It’s not the main issue for many so it’s not even worth discussing any longer.

Why not add Duel.

UrMom.4205

You can stop saying it can be ignored or have a button to not accept duels. It’s been suggested by almost every single player who supports dueling for over a year now. We get it. It’s not the main issue for many so it’s not even worth discussing any longer.

what is the main issue for many then? cause all i’ve gotten out of the people against duels are that you will get spammed for dueling all the time.

Team Raven [TR](Dead)

Why not add Duel.

ShiningSquirrel.3751

what is the main issue for many then? cause all i’ve gotten out of the people against duels are that you will get spammed for dueling all the time.

If that is all you have gotten, then you have not been following the discussion or any of the threads. Suggested reading below.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/archive/suggestions/Open-world-Duels-Merged
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/archive/suggestions/Let-us-duel
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Duel-coming
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/archive/suggestions/Duel-option
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/Duel-Option
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Having-a-duel-feature
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Why-can-t-we-Duel
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Dueling-where-is-it
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/archive/suggestions/Old-School-Dueling-System

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

There’s plenty of open world dueling, it is called WvW.
If that form of it doesn’t stand well with you then place your complaints there.
Or at least ask for it in the sPvP area, where it would probably do some good.

Some folks in various threads like this have made the claim it would bring back people into the PvE maps. If that were the case ANet should really put the duel system in the Mists because there’s been constant wailing that sPvP is boring.

PvP belongs in the Mist, plain and simple. PvE needs a stronger story, interesting dynamics, and various other polish to some dungeons.

Back in GW1 times it was the Battle isles, which was separated from the PvE elements.
Yes other games might have this in their titles, but GW2 is not them.
It is GW2 and it should do what it wants instead of following other games.

Should I wish for skiing jet pack battle armor since Tribes has it?
Or ask for the Meld from Firefall? Pandas as a playable race?
No, because that’s not GW2.

If you miss the days of open PvP and can find titles that do such a mechanic go play them for a while. Bringing it to the open map will not guarantee it stop folks from camping Lion’s Arch.

The PvE map is for cooperation on missions and playing out storylines, the Mists is where people should go to bash one another’s heads in.
As stated earlier in my post, if any place needs dueling it would be the Mists because playing capture point game mode time and time again is boring.

Yes Costume Brawl exists and it is mostly played in the cities (LA the prime example) in at least my server. I’ve rarely seen anyone use it in PvE. No doubt they would fear someone troll them by dragging mobs to their area.
So if they are in PvE and try to Costume Brawl, chances are they would be in a remote area. We might as well keep them in a safe remote area like the Mists so their PvP experience isn’t interrupted.

tldr version PvP folks need the Mists cleaned/improved upon. PvE just need better story and rewards to drag folks out into maps. Combining the two doesn’t make sense when technically we have two game modes and a “middle ground”.

there is a “simple” solution for this, what they need to do is add the ability to customize the rules in 1v1 custom arena’s and have an option to allow PvE gear.
i can’t stand even seeing PvP in PvE area’s but am not against it, as you said as long as it stays in the mist there will not be any problems.

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

If an individual’s, “attitude,” is a valid reason for his desired or preferred gameplay mode to not be developed we would see a complete cessation of development of WvW, sPvP, open world PvE, instanced PvE, and so on.

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

If an individual’s, “attitude,” is a valid reason for his desired or preferred gameplay mode to not be developed we would see a complete cessation of development of WvW, sPvP, open world PvE, instanced PvE, and so on.

better to prevent a problem then to fuel the fire.

Why not add Duel.

JustTrogdor.7892

^^^This

No reason to provide more tools for people to act like nimrods.

The Burninator

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: EvilSardine.9635

EvilSardine.9635

It’s very simple.

1) Those who are afraid of dueling can enable an option which ignores any duel requests.

2)Dueling can take place anywhere. Why would this be a problem? I see no PvErs complaining when Lions Arch is COMPLETELY FILLED with people costume brawling.

3)People who use the excuse of “this game isn’t balanced around 1v1s so dueling will make people complain” obviously haven’t been to the profession forums. All you see are people complaining about how one class is OP against their class. It already happens. This isn’t an excuse.

Dueling is something that many games have. It’s something that you can do to pass the time while waiting for buddies to show up for a dungeon. It’s something that will help you become a better player and learn how to deal with other classes in a fight. If you take the game seriously enough that losing a duel would cause you mental anguish, you need to go outside and take a breather. It’s just a game.

Why not add Duel.

Ashen.2907

^^^This

Any content addition whatsoever is a tool for people to act like nimrods. So no more PvE development ?

Why not add Duel.

JustTrogdor.7892

^^^This

Any content addition whatsoever is a tool for people to act like nimrods. So no more PvE development ?

Give an example of PvE development that will do so. Putting PvP in PvE will only add tools for people to troll and abuse the system on a large scale. Adding a new event in PvE for example would not add these tools since PvE is already fixed as to tools one could use to troll.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

Then lets prevent problems that will come with unbalance with new skills and traits and never add them.

Why not add Duel.

Ashen.2907

^^^This

Give an example of PvE development that will do so.

People have been rude or outright griefed each other in the use of the LFG tool.

People have been rude or outright griefed each other in dungeons.

People have used chat to be rude to or outright grief others.

People have been rude or outright griefed each other in the pursuit of champion trains.

and so on.

I have not seen a single playable aspect of the game that has not had people involved in it, or use it, to be obnoxious towards other players.

Why not add Duel.

JustTrogdor.7892

^^^This

People have been rude or outright griefed each other in the use of the LFG tool.

People have been rude or outright griefed each other in the pursuit of champion trains.

and so on.

I have not seen a single playable aspect of the game that has not had people involved in it, or use it, to be obnoxious towards other players.

Your examples are not of PvE development but what already exists. So we should add one more with PvP in PvE?

The Burninator

Why not add Duel.

Ashen.2907

^^^This

and so on.

Your examples are not of PvE development but what already exists. So we should add one more with PvP in PvE?

The examples show that things developed (perhaps more of which will be developed) in GW2 allow for griefing and that more development following the established pattern of what has been developed would do the same.

Even so:

The champ trains were created post launch by development studio alterations to the game.

The LFG tool was added to the game post launch…giving those so inclined more opportunities to be obnoxious towards each other.

Any dungeon added to the game will give those inclined an opportunity to grief others.

LS additions were used as an opportunity to be obnoxious towards others.

Etc.

Every piece of playable content included in the game at launch has been able to be used to be obnoxious towards others.

Every piece of playable content added since launch has been able to be used to be obnoxious towards others.

Is there any reason to think that this will not continue to be the case ?

To clarify, I do not fault Anet for this. This is not a GW2 phenomenon, it is an online gaming phenomenon. People find ways to use whatever tools available to be kittens.

Why not add Duel.

JustTrogdor.7892

Dear PvP,

We understand that you want to fight each other. We understand that you want to fight when and where you want to fight. However, we don’t want you here. We don’t want the garbage talk that often accompanies PvP. We don’t want to be at a bank, trading post, crafting station, merchant etc. and see your attack skills all over our screen. We don’t want /map and /say filled with PvP banter.

We understand that many of you would not abuse a dueling system. However, for each of you there is another person that will. This person doesn’t understand the spirit of competition and will want to cause as much trouble for as many people as they can. They will go out of their way to be as annoying as possible in an effort to “look cool”. They will invade chat channels with their ‘leet’ talk and do their best to annoy other players as much as possible. While you may not be that person, unfortunately that person does exist ten fold.

We would however be okay with having dueling arenas where you could duel your hearts out. This would allow you to duel and test builds as you say you want to without allowing your not so admirable pro-dueling friends from trashing the PvE environment. You can go there with your friends, guild mates, or anyone you challenge to a duel and have at it.

Best regards,
PvE

The Burninator

Why not add Duel.

Ashen.2907

Why would they since dungeons don’t have an affect on PvP? Where as inserting PvP into PvE would indeed have an affect on PvE.

Of course development of dungeons has an impact on PvP. Its the most reasonable argument against developing open world dueling (IMO). Every dime spent on one aspect of the game is not being spent on another. Opportunity costs. Unless a developer has essentially unlimited resources anything added to the game is comeing at the expense of something else.

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: Sauncho.8076

Sauncho.8076

Not sure why anyone would be against dueling, even PvE’ers. There is no better way to learn your character and abilities than dueling other players. If they add the ability to ignore all duel requests then I don’t see how this could be an issue.

The argument seems to be “I don’t want to see people dueling all over the open world!” Hmm, why not. Better than it being empty as hell. Dueling is not PvP, it’s what it’s called….dueling.

“Pimpin aint ez”

Why not add Duel.

JustTrogdor.7892

Why would they since dungeons don’t have an affect on PvP? Where as inserting PvP into PvE would indeed have an affect on PvE.

Of course development of dungeons has an impact on PvP. Its the most reasonable argument against developing open world dueling (IMO). Every dime spent on one aspect of the game is not being spent on another. Opportunity costs. Unless a developer has essentially unlimited resources anything added to the game is comeing at the expense of something else.

That doesn’t fit into what you said about dungeons and elitist jerks. That was your argument for dungeons having an affect on PvP.

I hope that PvPers would not oppose the addition of new dungeons because so many participating in this sort of PvE content are obnoxious, elitist, jerks.

So is it there should be no development of dungeons because it hinders development of PvP or should there be no development of dungeons because people that run dungeons are elitist jerks? Pick one.

Anyway, life calls. Have fun bashing your head against the monitor with this pro-dueling stuff.

The Burninator

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Dueling isn’t possible w/o Guild Halls.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Why not add Duel.

Ashen.2907

That doesn’t fit into what you said about dungeons and elitist jerks. That was your argument for dungeons having an affect on PvP.

I hope that PvPers would not oppose the addition of new dungeons because so many participating in this sort of PvE content are obnoxious, elitist, jerks.

So is it there should be no development of dungeons because it hinders development of PvP or should there be no development of dungeons because people that run dungeons are elitist jerks? Pick one.

You claimed that development of dungeons would have no impact on PvP. I pointed out that such was not necessarily the case.

I did not, and do not, claim that there should be no development of dungeons. Dungeons are one of my favorite things in an MMO. Just because an argument is reasonable (as I described the opportunity cost argument) doesn’t mean that I support it.

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

As I understand, the game (the Devs) are a bit more lenient with trash-talk in PvP because it is part of the culture. Those that participate and enjoy PvP feel it is just part of..well PvP.

On the other hand, trash-talking is more frowned-upon and unaccepted over on the PvE side of things. You might say rules are a bit stricter on this side of the game world.

I can imagine there might be some culture-clash when those of a more PvP-mindset, happily dueling away, become excited about their duel of the moment, and passionately let loose some colorful talk in /say or /map chat.

What might happen if they were reported by the ‘carebears’ of PvE? Do they get special dispensation because they are ‘dueling’, at the moment? Must they curb their enthusiasm because they are now over in Open World PvE? Who decides which demographic has more sway in Open World?

It might just be more trouble to Support and ArenaNet than it’s worth.

Why not add Duel.

ShiningSquirrel.3751

It’s very simple.

1) Those who are afraid of dueling can enable an option which ignores any duel requests.

2)Dueling can take place anywhere. Why would this be a problem? I see no PvErs complaining when Lions Arch is COMPLETELY FILLED with people costume brawling.

3)People who use the excuse of “this game isn’t balanced around 1v1s so dueling will make people complain” obviously haven’t been to the profession forums. All you see are people complaining about how one class is OP against their class. It already happens. This isn’t an excuse.

Dueling is something that many games have. It’s something that you can do to pass the time while waiting for buddies to show up for a dungeon. It’s something that will help you become a better player and learn how to deal with other classes in a fight. If you take the game seriously enough that losing a duel would cause you mental anguish, you need to go outside and take a breather. It’s just a game.

1 – already suggested to death and not the only issue by a long shot.
2 – Apparently you have not bothered to read any of the duel threads, or even this whole thread as it has been mentioned several times as being annoying.
3 – It is a valid excuse as no complaining currently being done will equal the crap storm that will happen if dueling is added.

Tired, old and invalid arguments. Just because another game has something does NOT mean it has to be added to GW2. That is one of the main issues this game currently has, Players want to turn it in to a generic clone of every other game out there. “XXX has this, why can’t GW2 have it”.

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: nopoet.2960

nopoet.2960

I still think that getting a guard’s permission to duel is the best solution.

Two players walk up to a guard and tell it they want to duel. The guard says ok and counts down from three and the fight starts. If the guard is near a bank or trading post they can just say no. If the guard gets involved in any kind of dynamic event the duel ends. It also address the concern about duel request spam because there wont be any; a NPC starts the fight.

Also having a guard ref makes it feel less like a random fight and more like a contest (for those with rp inclinations). The guard could comment on the fight and other nearby npcs could come a watch.

Other benefits would be possibility of time limits, possibly making wagers, dueling not being allowed everywhere on the map, purchasable refs at the black lion, making the world feel more alive.

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: Bevillian.1260

Bevillian.1260

It’s very simple.

Well said. Good points. I think though that dueling should take place in particular areas made for dueling so those who aren’t interested in it don’t have to see it.

Guild Wars 2 Needs Hall of Heroes