Would you buy an expansion?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Louveepine.7630

Louveepine.7630

Yes! Why?

I expected a lot to discover in gw2 in one, I always wanted to visit more than tyrie, and I hope ArenaNet will provide us with ever more grandiose contained!
and I would like to see Maguuma = (

# Asura because I’m worth it!

Posted by: Tuulipz.7961

Tuulipz.7961

Of course not.

Anet pasts the lasts 5 months fixing bugs that should have never been in the final release.
The only big things they added ended in a complete fail imo (fractals, Cursed shore and karka event, etc).
On top of that they promise they’re working on many aspects of the game, but it will take months (culling, scavenger hunt for precursor, pvp). Months. Yea, they got my money in their pocket since months too.

I’d like to support the team, but they just do not deserve any support anymore, that’s the reason why i won’t spend anything on their products.

They wanted too much too quickly, promising stuff they will never be able to do. And it worked, they sold millions of an unfinished product, with nice art and marketing.
Good capitalists.
(forgive my english, I did my best)

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

I’ll be buying ESO, but I’ll definitely play GW2 along side it, and if a worthy expansion comes along for GW2, I’ll definitely pay up!

It’s a great game – seeing some of the negativity in this thread from those saying ‘no’ with some sour-faced reason just makes me smirk at the naivety of some at their lack of understanding…

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Posted by: Arkanis Drako.5169

Arkanis Drako.5169

Right now? No.

I really do like this game, I waited for years to finally play it
and it is great.

BUT among other problems it´s got some serious performance issues (yes I know, not for everyone) right now and I don´t want to invest more money until these are solved.

I read they are working on culling right now and there was better performance promised for WvW in the January 28th Update, so maybe I might change my opinion
not to buy any expansions very soon^^.

Posted by: MistyMountains.3751

MistyMountains.3751

Depends on what they offer in the first expansion…classes? races? new zones? new things to do in pvp? something thats just fun like mounts?

Also pricing…dont think ill buy one at 59.99, maybe 39.99.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Yes!

Very much looking forward to seeing the new areas, GW2 delivers on exploration better than any game on the market.

Posted by: Akumu.7238

Akumu.7238

No. This game is far too casually shallow for my tastes. This game barely has enough depth for even a midcore player. So us hardcore players are really left out in the cold. This was supposed to be a PvP game, yet PvP is doing terrible on both ends. WvW is just a zergfest and cannons/oil is completely useless against one. Sure a good small group can AoE down a dumb zerg. However, that’s against terribad commanders. A decent commander will have his zerg steamroll over every small group and only another zerg can stop them, as they speed cap towers. The zerg will be buffed further if they follow through with the AoE nerf. WvW is missing a lot of strategy and tactics that would otherwise make it a deeper experience. If I completely ignore the culling anyway.

SPvP is missing a load of features and some classes(like my main) have been an undesirable, since everyone learned the game. My class is also horribly balanced yet continue to be ignored, even after the Devs gave notice to how bad it is. Sure I could reroll but I find other classes to be very boring in this game. Also, out of all the possible team oriented game modes, Anet decided to give the players just one. This starts to feel like a grind as you trudge through the same thing over and over.

-Colin Johanson: “When you look at the art in our game, you say ‘Wow, that’s visually stunning. I’ve never seen anything like that before,’ and then when you play the combat in our game, you say ‘Wow, that’s incredible. I’ve never seen anything like that.’ In most games, you go out, and you have really fun tasks, occasionally, that you get to do, and the rest of the game is this boring grind to get to the fun stuff. ‘I swung a sword. I swung a sword again. Hey! I swung it again.’ That’s great. We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2. No one enjoys that. No one finds it fun. We want to change the way that people view combat.”

@Bold^ This is how I view GW2 PvE. These Dynamic Events are dreadful… Do you know how many times I saved a town/whatever just for it to be attacked again 5-10 minutes later… The ally NPCs just fall over when the Enemy breaths on them. The events are from from dynamic. It’s pretty much “hurry up and save us” because our guards don’t possess basic training. Dungeons are…ok. It’s not anything I find to be great(PvE is not gw2 strong suit). FoTM is interesting but that’s endgame and another broken promise from Anet(treadmill). So you end up doing exactly what Colin Johanson said GW2 wasn’t about. The PvE is so painful that it feels like a grind just to reach 80.

I don’t wanna live a thousand years. If I just live through today, that’ll be enough.

(edited by Akumu.7238)

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

Yes I would, no doubt about it.

The game is fast enough toi obtain gear in so I wouldnt mind more levels. I just wish they stick to the philosophy they are bringing back in the patch, that gear will be obtainable in a multitude of ways to cater to every type of gamer.

To me GW2 is the best MMO on the market. I have little hope for ESO but Archage looks interesting. It’s just that ESO and the series on a whole have a habbit of being buggy like hell. However, the deciding factor if I’ll get either or not will be if there is a sub fee or not, if there is I’ll skip it. GW2 is perfect for me since I dont pay a monthly sub fee, so if I only get time to play say an hour or 2 per day, I wont feel like I’ve payed for nothing.

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.

Posted by: ImTasty.2163

ImTasty.2163

Would you buy the next expansion? Why or why not.

Yes if the price to content ratio is good. If it’s something like a small lvl cap raise and 1 new explorable area it better be close to free if not free. Now if it’s something bigger like let’s say a 5-10 lvl cap raise, new race, new proffesion, new explorable areas, new dungeons with new armor, new weapon skins, new weapons(I’m looking at you two-handed axe) which will also come with new weapon skills, new utility skills and at least 1-2 new elite skills per class. Basically everything that people have come to expect from a 20-30 dollar expansion., then I can see myself spending 20-30 bucks. For me it just depends on how big of an expansion are we talking.

Posted by: eXs.6210

eXs.6210

I would… yes, clearly the game has problems, but all games do, I complain about this game as well but bottom line is, this is a great game and I would definitely buy an expansion… things will get fixed… anet has definitely been moving in the right direction and well continue to improve the game with every patch… I would certainly buy an expansion… this is a great great great game no matter how much we complain you know it’s still the best mmo out there…

Posted by: SouthernCross.5286

SouthernCross.5286

Without a second thought, the game is not perfect but is miles ahead of anything else in the mmo market IMO

Posted by: Knox.3748

Knox.3748

Hell, I’d buy an expansion if it just consisted of awesome medium armor skins, so yes.

i feel we are playing a different game

Posted by: fizzypop.6458

fizzypop.6458

Probably not right now. The only thing that would make me change my mind is dervish because I love dervish<33

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

If the profession, trait, and minion AI bugs are fixed, then yes. If not then no. Simple as that.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: Indoles.1467

Indoles.1467

Let’s put it this way, if they can’t balance the professions by about 6 months after release but announce an expansion in that time frame, hell no. However, If the next couple patches can even things out, fix exploits, and improve the overall experience, I may consider it. To me, it is more of a time game. How long am I willing to wait for them to fix what they have already provided? New games come out all the time, and if somebody else has their kitten together and the game gets raving reviews (of the same genre), I might just drop this altogether because I don’t have the time to play both.

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

I’d love to stay with the current game for a little while longer (maybe a year) before i hope a next expansion comes out.

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Currently, no.

If Arenanet ever gets the economy under control so that it stops screwing over casual players like me (or even makes an attempt) then I definitely would.

Posted by: TheIronFistOfDeath.3016

TheIronFistOfDeath.3016

Absolutely. The game is fantastic right now (not without it’s flaws, but fantastic none the less). An expansion would only make it bigger and better.

Posted by: Rymer.4017

Rymer.4017

I waited 5 years for this game and so far its everything they said it would be to me at least. Its huge and fun to explore I have not touched much of the dungeons cause I am waiting for a company to realize that they should have group size determine the difficulty so lets say 3 of you run a story mode it tones it down to a group of 3 or if theres 2 then the same thing and it get harder the more you add up to 5.

As for buying the expansion yes I would get it right now if they said they where adding one now because I am a huge fan of lore and history of games and Guild Wars has a massive history and lore.

Posted by: ZilentNight.5089

ZilentNight.5089

There is an insane amount of areas just in Tyria that are not even open yet.
Fire island to the Cyrstal desert to Maguuma jungle to the Shiverpeaks!

So much content! I would honestly like the above 4 areas to be added as free content since they were originally part of the Tyria continent.

Cantha and Elona on the other hand, i would buy those separately as expansions yes!
The Tengu race is from Cantha so i can almost guarantee that they will add that race as playable when Cantha is released along with which will come the deep sea dragon as the Jade sea has now been unfrozen and we can now swim

Posted by: OmniPotentes.4817

OmniPotentes.4817

No. This is not the game I expected it to be.

Posted by: ArtemusHunter.9521

ArtemusHunter.9521

I’ll be buying ESO, but I’ll definitely play GW2 along side it, and if a worthy expansion comes along for GW2, I’ll definitely pay up!

It’s a great game – seeing some of the negativity in this thread from those saying ‘no’ with some sour-faced reason just makes me smirk at the naivety of some at their lack of understanding…

I’m with you with that one! It’d going to be hard to switch between the two, but none of the bad in the game outweighs the good. So excited for ESO, but just as excited for expansions. Even though we all know that there will be bugs, the content the expansions will bring.. >.< can’t wait, GIVE ME DERVISH! what, where did that come from?!

>.>

<.<

lol.

IGN: Floyd Hunter
TheRavingNecromancer.tumblr.com

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Nope, they lost me when they announced new gear would be added AFTER the game was released, despite their previous promises that this wouldn’t be the case. Their cash shop tactics are pretty sinister as well.

In fact, I wont be buying any game that profits NC Soft after this. Cash shops should be about value, not a scam.

This.

I seriously just don’t understand how people don’t see what NC soft is doing exploiting
the desire for a legendary, while nerfing drops and selling gems to gold.

It’s sure easy enough to defend on Anets part to make money and that’s fine by me but they have milked all the fun out of every other aspect of the game fine tunning the scam legendarys are.

imo it’s not just the legendaries that are affected by this it’s also happening to the regular gear. One cannot level an alt and gather adequate mats to gear him in exotics without having tons of gold in the bank. It’s ridiculous to have to work with a double RNG system. RNG to even get the heavy bags to drop without some DR kicking in stopping you, and then a completely separate RNG when opening them to see if they drop the mats you need to make armor like Gossamer or Powerful Blood. I’m like you i don’t mind spending real money where money is due, like storage, bank, character slots, cosmetics, but this system that’s directly affecting gear has got to go!

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: holska.4127

holska.4127

Yes I’d pre-order the minute it’s up, and a DDE again if it would have one.

Posted by: holska.4127

holska.4127

There is an insane amount of areas just in Tyria that are not even open yet.
Fire island to the Cyrstal desert to Maguuma jungle to the Shiverpeaks!

So much content! I would honestly like the above 4 areas to be added as free content since they were originally part of the Tyria continent.

Same, and prefer Shiverpeaks first so I can go home (proud Far Shiverpeakean since BWE1).

Posted by: Singh.8206

Singh.8206

No,
Need to fix this game first.

Posted by: KratosAngel.7289

KratosAngel.7289

Depends on what’s planned in it.
But, above all, wouldn’t buy a new expansion until a lot of things are fixed and improved (especially concerning balances/classes bugs, UI and template/armet set saves).

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

Sure would. Have purchased numerous expansions on other games. Why not GW2? Its a solid game. Not without some problems…but overall, I really enjoy it. Have made a ton of new friends here.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

(edited by Raf.1078)

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

I thought it was 60 bucks and that is it. Thats the reason of TP existence…i dont see why they should charge you for an ’’expansion’’ greedy way.

I took an arrow to the knee

Posted by: Varmyr.4253

Varmyr.4253

I think it’s a bit early to talk about this, but yes, I would. I think ANet are on the right track and they seem commited to improve this game.

Posted by: Claudius.5381

Claudius.5381

Yes, I would buy an expansion.

A great game. So much better as the last MMORPGs I played…

Posted by: Mrowqa.3861

Mrowqa.3861

LEt me think:

-Spvp not rewarding meaning You cannot actually farm anything from it and bring it to “open world”
-tpvp have no ladder system yet
-many things are still bugged
-Prices for gems are extremly high and Anet instead of allowing us to buy for exmaple 3000 gems for 10 euro expect us to get 800 gems and by some miracle removegold sellers. You wont get rid of em with those gem prices. seriously.
-many classes are bugged
-bad game engine. to high recommended settings to even post them
-Plain and constantly same gameplay – no warriations in Spvp/Tpvp playstyle ( only capture point )
-no solo queneing for dungeons ( best thing WoW ever implemented )
-to much in game burst / to low hp. they have either to increase hp or decrease burst. getting 1 shot by thiefs isn’t funny after 4 months.
-Legendaries bring actually nothing to the game apart from skins.
-remodeling sux. why ? oh wait you have to get gems to actually get top end stones to transmute gear. Aion in game currency ( gold – kinah ) pay system was best.
-actually plain armor looks. almost all plate armors look the same expect maybe 5-6 skins. same thing applies to medium/might.
-many broken trait lines and bad implementing of skills that should be redesigned long time ago.
-conditions are to easy to stack.
-did i mention actually recommended system requirements for this game ? probably yes.

So overall if x-pack would be given free to recompensate all the stuff that Anet should fix and do and implement or remove i’d take it.

I really enjoyed a lot more blizzard pay to play policy. at least I knew they have enought cash to hire staff that will fix bugs and things constanly.

Posted by: Joey.3928

Joey.3928

Yep. I would buy a collector’s edition version too if that was an option.

Estel Wolfheart
Norn Ranger
Hardcorepwnograhpy [HARD] | Isle of Janthir

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

If the expansion involves an increase in the level cap and thus the subsequent obsolescence of all previous dungeons, content and gear… then no, I’ll quietly bow out and not look back. I came to GW2 to get away from that type of power creep / forced content obsolescence. If it exists here, I won’t have any reason to stay.

Now, if the expansions are less like WoW and more like GW1, where the level cap remained stationary, all content remained viable (people still run underworld today… that was introduced pre-2006!), and simply add more story, gear skins and mechanics, I’ll be all over that expansion. Probably collectors edition, too >_>

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

If it’s like GW1 where we got full campaigns, then more than likely yes.

But if it is just an expansion, it all really depends how the game is doing then. If I’m not happy with the continued direction of the game, then no. If things change for the better, then yes.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

If the expansion involves an increase in the level cap and thus the subsequent obsolescence of all previous dungeons, content and gear… then no, I’ll quietly bow out and not look back. I came to GW2 to get away from that type of power creep / forced content obsolescence. If it exists here, I won’t have any reason to stay.

Now, if the expansions are less like WoW and more like GW1, where the level cap remained stationary, all content remained viable (people still run underworld today… that was introduced pre-2006!), and simply add more story, gear skins and mechanics, I’ll be all over that expansion. Probably collectors edition, too >_>

They stated that level caps would be increased with expansions before the game even launched…

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/19873-level-cap-increase-in-expansions/

Also here: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/19473-interview-gw2-qa-cd-projekt-conference/

And more recently:

http://www.gamefront.com/guild-wars-2-level-cap-raise-confirmed-for-future/

And yes, as stated prior, I will be purchasing expansions.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

(edited by Vorch.2985)

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

They stated that level caps would be increased with expansions before the game even launched…

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/19873-level-cap-increase-in-expansions/

And more recently:

http://www.gamefront.com/guild-wars-2-level-cap-raise-confirmed-for-future/

And yes, as stated prior, I will be purchasing expansions.

Ah. :-\ Shame.

Posted by: Aequitas.6402

Aequitas.6402

Depends on what would be included in the expansion, I’d definitely want some information about the content before I buy it. Pig in a poke and all that.

Posted by: kailin.4905

kailin.4905

If they released an expansion now I don’t think I would buy it. Lately there has been too much “wait till next month” going on in the game. It seems like for the past 6 months all we have done is wait for major issues in the game to be addressed and when the time comes we get told to wait longer. I do think things will eventually balance out and get fixed and at that point I would buy an expansion.

Posted by: Thereon.3495

Thereon.3495

Buying an expansion would depend on just what content was becoming available. If it was just an expansion of the current game (new maps, classes, add-ons) then im not sure I could warrent spending a sizable amount on that expansion. I have real issues with just how easy the game is and im by no means a ‘hardcore gamer’. Just hearing that players have 5+ max level characters makes me sad and I really dont buy into this ‘entire game is end-game’ stuff. I have enjoyed playing GW2 but as time has gone on I find there is less and less to log in for.

Any expansion would have to address the issue of ease of play. If it didnt then it would have to be cheap to buy for me to think about purchasing and there would be the issue of whether or not another game grabs my attention better than the expansion would. But for every one person that thinks like me there’s probably five that like the ease of leveling so I guess that im in the minority here.

Thereon Avenrise – former [Noes] Officer – Piken Square (EU)
Retired and living in a shack. Relaxing!

Posted by: Goettel.4389

Goettel.4389

As long as it doesn’t raise the level-cap, I’d definitely buy any expansion, since I’m still having a blast 500 hours in. To be honest, it feels like the game is just starting to gain momentum and we haven’t seen the best of it yet.

Exactly the kind of player thats going to kill this game lol.

I’m going to kill GW2 by having a blast, spend money on it and seeing an even brighter future for it ?

Care to elaborate beyond “lol” ?

Send an Asura who knows math. Problem solved.

Posted by: Daemonne.5018

Daemonne.5018

As long as they don’t go and release one each year. I’d prefer content not become obsolete.

If you play solitaire with only one suit, your game is going to end faster and feel lacking.

Posted by: Avatar.1923

no.

the game is loosing its magic.

it s not bad, but it feels less like an rpg/adventure and more like a themepark everyday.
i dont think any story or expension they do now will put me back into it.
quaggan backpacks, unicorn bows, next dragon we fight might as well fire fart on us.

:/

Posted by: Under Web.2497

Under Web.2497

When the original game gets out of beta, let me know… Then we can talk expansion.

+1
Maybe the OP question should have been:
What would you spend your money on?
(1). GW2 expansion
(2). Blade and Soul
(3). ArcheAge
EDIT (4). Any Other Game?

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Hell, I’d buy an expansion if it just consisted of awesome medium armor skins, so yes.

i feel we are playing a different game

well there are no awesome medium armor skins so it’d be a pretty nice xpan on its own. Otherwise gimme Cantha + Assassin medium armor.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Nappychappy.7046

Nappychappy.7046

Not until DR’s are removed and no, I don’t mean boosted moldy bag drop rate fixes either.

You are using 21 of 100 infractions ermm, PMs.

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

With gold converted to gems?
Sure.
With real money?
Heck no.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Posted by: Abhor.5602

Abhor.5602

Only expansion worth buying would be a full cantha and/or elona expansion. That should not happen until Tyria is done. Not to mention Anet may or may not make bad decisions along the way.

Posted by: CeNedro.7560

CeNedro.7560

I will(if they start to add Roleplay instead of Themepark-Content)

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

It’s not a question of being “if” I will buy one. It’s more of a question of “when are they going to sell them?” :P

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?