Your greatest GW2 brainfart?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ariurotl.3718

Ariurotl.3718

I’ve been maining Guardian for about a year now… and only yesterday I accidentally hit a movement key and found out to my great surprise that Renewed Focus doesn’t root you when channeling. I have no idea why I even thought it rooted me, it probably had to do with the animation. For almost a YEAR I stood still when channeling it. My face still hurts from the facepalms.

Now let’s hear about your top fails in the game. It could be anything, really. Tell us about that one time (or several times) you felt stupid!

Posted by: Kill.3458

Kill.3458

When I was an early thief I thought initiative was bugged because it didnt instantly replenish itself after it was depleted. I went on complaining (sending error reports) about it for a solid week or so, before a fellow thief enlightened me (to put it nicely) during a map chat where I insisted it was broken, that initiative NEVER worked like that and never would work like that…

I dont like young thief me, he was not bright…

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

I believe I salvaged a precurser in my first week of GW2

In the ls2 story where the npcs are stuck in the labrinthe, I saw mordrem that looked like moas and bug reported it… Only to realise a minute later they were near Kasmeers spot, after being moa’d and killed by her. /facedesk moment

In PvP trying new trait/utility combos and pressing keys that you think are a certain utility, I died a lot that day.

Kitten.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Shortly after the game started I was playing and saw this person that had what looked like some sort of target over their head, a red circle with short prongs coming off it. So I bug reported it…..

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

I do often use SW on WvW….. i think this count as one.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It was a few months, I believe, after launch before I realized you could make much more money selling your loot items on the TP than to the vendors. That’s not so bad, but the next one was embarrassing: It was even longer before I realized you could add skills to your underwater skill bar. I spent much time swimming/fighting with nothing but a heal skill on the utility side down there.

I’m sure there are more….

Posted by: Takoyakii.2146

Takoyakii.2146

When I realize that TP don’t need double- click to navigate…. my 10 foxfires sold for 23 silver from clicking sell instantly too fast. . .

//Smash head to the tofu

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

3 months ago, 4 full ascended characters later and a lot of fractals later, i somehow managed to find out ascended is acc bound, not soulbound.

Posted by: Sylum.1806

Sylum.1806

I’ve been maining Guardian for about a year now… and only yesterday I accidentally hit a movement key and found out to my great surprise that Renewed Focus doesn’t root you when channeling. I have no idea why I even thought it rooted me, it probably had to do with the animation. For almost a YEAR I stood still when channeling it. My face still hurts from the facepalms.

Now let’s hear about your top fails in the game. It could be anything, really. Tell us about that one time (or several times) you felt stupid!

That’s because the skill started as root-only. It was later patched to allow movement.

Posted by: Disketa.7356

Disketa.7356

It was a few months, I believe, after launch before I realized you could make much more money selling your loot items on the TP than to the vendors. That’s not so bad, but the next one was embarrassing: It was even longer before I realized you could add skills to your underwater skill bar. I spent much time swimming/fighting with nothing but a heal skill on the utility side down there.

Oh god, I am fairly new to the game, just finished my first 80 yesterday and I was fighting with only the harpoon gun underwater for all this time. Every fight took so long and was so boring. Thanks for the info.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Ha ha! You are welcome. Always good that one player’s ignorance is another’s lesson of the day!

Welcome to Tyria!

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Oh god, I am fairly new to the game, just finished my first 80 yesterday and I was fighting with only the harpoon gun underwater for all this time. Every fight took so long and was so boring. Thanks for the info.

I’m even newer. First toon is lvl 50. And I’ve been mostly avoiding underwater combat for this very reason. Maybe I should investigate all those blatantly obvious empty skill boxes although I’m not sure a fire elemental will be too happy at being summoned underwater …. (cough, cough)…

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

I’m even newer. First toon is lvl 50. And I’ve been mostly avoiding underwater combat for this very reason. Maybe I should investigate all those blatantly obvious empty skill boxes although I’m not sure a fire elemental will be too happy at being summoned underwater …. (cough, cough)…

hahahahaha. Oh, the naivete, so refreshing. To still have hope that elementalists have a decent underwater elite… Enjoy your whirlpool my friend.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

DoctorDing.5890

hahahahaha. Oh, the naivete, so refreshing. To still have hope that elementalists have a decent underwater elite… Enjoy your whirlpool my friend.

If I was a proper elementalist I’d just move the water out of the way and walk. Getting my robes wet is just so darned demeaning. It makes me feel like one of those common people.

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

I have chronic gas. Every 6 months or so I buy temple kharma armor with one character with the intention of giving it to another.

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

Posted by: Linfang.1087

Linfang.1087

I found out you can salvage Ectos last month, and I played since beta. I knew ectos were a result of salvaging but I never tried to salvage a salvaged item?

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

If I was a proper elementalist I’d just move the water out of the way and walk. Getting my robes wet is just so darned demeaning. It makes me feel like one of those common people.

I hope you didn’t take my post as mean spirited in any way. It’s just that there have been complaints about the lack of a quality elites for elementalists since release. Well, the lack of quality elites in general, but especially for elementalists, and then even more so for their only underwater skill “choice” if you can call one option that. If they’d even just open up the elite slot so it could be used for non-elite utilities as well it would be an improvement. But having the other utilities underwater is definitely a huge improvement over just using the weapon. Have fun, and stay frosty.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

DoctorDing.5890

I hope you didn’t take my post as mean spirited in any way.

Not at all, not even in the slightest. Just don’t call me a moron – I’d hate that ;p

Never really been enamoured with underwater combat in any game. I find it a bit of a daft concept. However, if adding a skill or two to the bar makes it easier/quicker then so much the better.

Posted by: Odin of Ark.4860

Odin of Ark.4860

I was doing a daily that was for Iron Marches. I was running around Blazeridge Stepps going “Events?” for like ten minutes until a guy told me wrong map. Had a great face palm moment.

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

When I was in the Lupi death bubble, two of my teammates were down, I used life transfer to survive the bubble attack….and accidentally pulled them in….I mean we were all friends so we laughed about it but man did I feel like a puppy.

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

Posted by: Atharian.7092

Atharian.7092

I was doing a fractal, and saw my friend jump down the side of a cliff as a shortcut. Naturally, I followed. Then he died when he hit the ground and there I was, falling after him. I told him straight up, “That’s the last time I use one of your shortcuts” Dx

Posted by: Mai.3590

Mai.3590

I don’t know if it counts but….once i said “thank you” to an NPC that ressed me at a Silverwastes camp. After that i looked around to see if anyone saw me humiliate myself typing to an npc…Y_Y

Posted by: CadeRG.4508

CadeRG.4508

Just yesterday there was this dead guy in the water near the quay in Kessex Hills. I quickly swam up to him to res him. On the way there I attracted like 5 sharks, which I had to kill. I ended up dying to the sharks, so I tell the guy to wait there and that I will come back to help him out. I make my way back, kill 6 more sharks, I res the guy and it turns out that he was afk the entire time.

I sent him a mail telling him how much effort I spent trying to resurrect him while he was afk. He sent me a mail back thanking me. The whole event was pretty great.

Vaulting daredevil leap frog teef of AoE destruction

Posted by: HaxTester.9816

HaxTester.9816

I didn’t know you could cancel targeting by just clicking on an empty space. Before, I cancelled targeting by pressing escape key, but sometimes you have to press escape thrice, not just twice, to cancel targeting. So I find myself overpressing the escape key often, and this cancels my autorun, and it was getting annoying that I posted about it here. One forum member told me about the clicking empty space method, I still couldn’t believe I overlooked it, it was so simple, probably because I was so used to pressing keys in GW1 to choose targets and pressing escape key to cancel target.

Anvil Rockers Unite!

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

My biggest kitten moment: when I realised I had been playing PvP on a thief with a completely wrong amulet(carrion instead of marauder) for 2 full days without noticing it.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: wolfpaq.7354

wolfpaq.7354

underwater skill “choice”

It’s not just elementalists, believe me. For theives, none of our important stealth utilities work underwater, and neither of our weapons have stealth capability, so we’re effectively locked out of using stealth underwater. Which is stupid considering how we have an entire specialization based on stealth, and are dependent on it for condition removal and general survival.

I don’t think any other class in the game has an entire specialization that is completely worthless underwater.

As for the subject at hand, I don’t have one “omg i did this for years” thing, but the two fractals which are hybrid jumping puzzles both send me plummeting to my doom at least once per run, even now, after doing them for years. It’s embarrassing.

Posted by: suffish.4150

suffish.4150

Up until maybe a year ago (I have been playing 2 and a half years) I used to just vendor lvl 80 rares rather than salvage or TP them. It sounds idiotic to me now but I really thought I was doing myself a favour- I never used TP because it was several seconds slower than vendor and I never salvaged my stuff back then, I just vendored everything except exotics (which I sold on the TP). I did this because I didn’t consider the 30-40 silver very much and didn’t bother to think that I got hundreds of them and that adds up, lol.
Another one was that in the first week or so of playing the game (as a warrior), I didn’t think that you could put anything other than a shield in your offhand for some reason, I was amazed when I realised that wasn’t the case by equipping another thing in my offhand by complete accident.
One time I got completely stuck in the jumping puzzle in plains of ashford, again shortly after buying the game (but after I got to lvl 80) and I couldn’t find the exit. I started to panic and couldn’t get out for maybe 20-30 minutes until I realised again that waypoints were a thing.

PvP- Stronlo Beastmaster (Ranger)
PvE- Grolex (Warrior)
PvP rank: 20 Rating: 1864 (season 7)

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Shield block on warrior. I thought I couldn’t move while using it for the longest time.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Yol.1685

Yol.1685

My first character, about a week after the game launched, had got to the point in the norn storyline where you have to defend the priory outpost in Snowden Drifts against the dredge attack. After successfuly defending the outpost, the mission marker on the mini-map updated to inside the outpost and told me to talk to the priory representative running the place. I couldn’t see the rep even though I was standing right on the star according to the mini-map. Talking to an asuran there on the spot wasn’t doing anything to progress the story. Thinking it was a bug, I submitted a ticket to support and restarted the mission, but the same thing happened again. I left it a week and then tried again, but still no joy. During this time, other bugged storylines were being fixed, so I thought I’d be patient and left it there for a couple of months. I tried it a couple more times, submitting bug reports, and then left it another month. Thinking that Anet must have fixed it by then, I tried the mission one last time – killed the dredge, went in the building to where the marker indicated, panned the camera, saw the stairs at the back of the room leading upstairs…….

Posted by: Blair.3796

Blair.3796

I used to travel to banks to deposit crafting mats. Then a long time later I realized that you could right-click on each individual item to deposit. Then a long time later I found the “deposit collectibles” button…

Also every time I go to the trouble of withdrawing my stacks of bloodstone, fragments and dragonite, then wp to a different map, harvest one ore node, and hit that “deposit collectibles” button…

Posted by: Drow.2081

Drow.2081

I love my Elementalist. Staff is my choice. Fire does so much damage. Yes, some of you have already started giggling at this point. You know where this goes, don’t you? I also like to climb up high places. I wish I had a camera record of every time I’ve hit “Burning Retreat” on accident and the very strange places I end up because of it. It’s a big brainfart moment that I know better not to hit that button but still my fingers want to dance when the battle get’s heated.

I also post on guildwars2guru.

(edited by Drow.2081)

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

Shield block on warrior. I thought I couldn’t move while using it for the longest time.

Same here.
I have mainly small but regular moments like this.
I’ve lost count of how many times my ranger has used Maul when trying to swoop away because my mind is stuck on “2 = leap” from warrior sword for example.

Posted by: Silvatar.5379

Silvatar.5379

I don’t know if it counts but….once i said “thank you” to an NPC that ressed me at a Silverwastes camp. After that i looked around to see if anyone saw me humiliate myself typing to an npc…Y_Y

I did not say thank you to the npc but I was so!!! grateful to the npc for rez’ing me on one occasion when all the players around me couldn’t be bothered to help me (jerks) that I spent the next 10 minutes protecting her from the mobs lol.

Biggest brain fart was probably going on a dungeon crawl with guildies and forgetting to equip all of my ascended trinkets/backpiece which I had left in the bank.

Posted by: Yubria.5671

Yubria.5671

Oh goodness – I have a slow learning curve when it comes to video games, so there are countless things I didn’t realize until after hitting 80. My armor and weapon stats were all over the place, and I thought I was dying so much in dungeons because I was just bad at playing.

When I first started playing about 1 1/2 years ago, I was also utterly terrible at anything remotely resembling a jumping puzzle… and played with a friend who loved them. After struggling through my first one, he suggested we go up to a harder one in Lion’s Arch. I almost die a lot, but my friend somehow managed to keep me alive and it didn’t seem as bad as the previous puzzle. Then we get to the edge of a cliff, and he’s like, “Okay, this is the hard part. If you miss a jump here, you die and have to go through everything again.”

I miss the very next jump.

I still haven’t finished that jumping puzzle.

Posted by: SpookyPoo.8135

SpookyPoo.8135

Bahahahah! I’ve done that too!

but the stupidest I’ve felt in this game was after attempting the “Thirst Slayer” achieve .. got tons of karma, I could just semi-afk in Cragstead whilst watching a stream or something, No Prob right? .. well I only reached Tier 3 before deciding “f this sh” (and yes even using Mousekeys)

Posted by: EazyPanda.6419

EazyPanda.6419

I spent the first 6 months of gw2 thinking I’m a really bad player. Then, I realise there is a thing called AOE markers which I had disabled.
Up to that point, I thought mail trin was impossible. After enabling Aoe markers, gw2 went all Easymode.

Then, 2 weeks ago, I realised “lock skill cast at max range” is a thing. For more than a year, I had been estimating my skills max range, and hardly ever used Infiltrator’s arrow as a thief…
I found menu options are my biggest enemy on gw2.

Anet logic:
where bashing people over the head with a stick deals more damage than a stab to the heart.
-My D.A. = http://eazypanda.deviantart.com/

Posted by: EazyPanda.6419

EazyPanda.6419

Edit. Double post.
I blame my isp

Anet logic:
where bashing people over the head with a stick deals more damage than a stab to the heart.
-My D.A. = http://eazypanda.deviantart.com/

(edited by EazyPanda.6419)

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

I believe I salvaged a precurser in my first week of GW2

That hurt just to READ.

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

I used Moa Polymorph on Moa….

at least it changed color^^

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Posted by: Kageseigi.2150

Kageseigi.2150

Hahaha, been there! :-P

When I was still leveling my Thief, I loved to go into WvW. I always felt so weak… being a lower-level Thief (probably in my 30’s), but I enjoyed WvW more than PvE, so I never took the time to go level myself.

Anyway, I once made my way to the southwest tower on my server’s WvW Borderland. I saw an enemy come to attack, so I engaged. Managed to get some hits in while evading his. But no matter how hard I hit him, I couldn’t even dent his health bar!

Then some allies of mine came along to assist. Probably 8-10 friendlies. Unfortunately, it was not in time. He whacked me, and I went down for the count. But I stayed around to watch the epic battle. They let loose on him…. for about 2 full minutes! He simply WOULD NOT DIE!!!

It absolutely astonished me! Here, he kills me in about two hits. But he’s able to withstand a small zerg! He FINALLY succumbed to the onslaught, but it was such a valiant stand! I was in awe of whatever kind of build he was running. I became very jealous. And actually, I still am to this day.

I don’t remember the details about him too well, but I do remember he was Charr with a Commander tag ;-)

And that is a true story.

Suggestions to overhaul the Thief…

* * * Thief Trait Shakeup * * *

Posted by: Nezia.8154

Nezia.8154

When I was very new to the game, about a few minutes old, I couldn’t differentiate the NPCs from the real players. So when an NPC chat bubble came up and said “Hi, how are you?”. I typed back. “Hey! I’m good, thanks! and you?”

crickets
crickets
crickets

He says again, “Hi, How are you?”

Then it hit me. He was just an NPC.

If you close your mind to new information, you are not being a productive member of the society.
You are the useless log of flesh we have to drag behind us as we move forward.

Posted by: Revolutionen.5693

Revolutionen.5693

I was so confused when people kept telling me to “go ooc”. Why do you want me to go out of character?! How’s that gonna help us during fractal?

Posted by: Sam.2014

Sam.2014

Deleted a char without cleaning it’s inventory losing 60 transmutation charges and 30 transmutation crystals xD

Posted by: circuitnerd.5863

circuitnerd.5863

Played for over 3 years and never knew unranked progressed your rank level faster than hotjoin. Not sure this is a brainfart more rather than just moronisy.

Certified Gameaholic

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

deleteda a char and just before confirming I rememered I has a copper fed on the char I forgot, so I removed It and deleted it…

a few months later I noticed a set of perma tools was gone… guess it was one of those monents… I deleted the character before they were account bound… only weeks later they were made account bound… 2400 gems flushed.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: radovan.8624

radovan.8624

I was playing a personal story in Orr, the one where you have to lead some npc’s from one point to another, fighting your way thru. I opened the map to see where do i need to go and realised that there is a waypoint right next to it, lazy as i am, i was like, now im gonna cheat like a boss and just waypoint there. 2 seconds after it kicked me out of instance

Posted by: Blush Lift.3570

Blush Lift.3570

I once re-forged ‘The Lover’ as it had the same skins as a rare orrian shortbow.

Posted by: Blush Lift.3570

Blush Lift.3570

I found out you can salvage Ectos last month, and I played since beta. I knew ectos were a result of salvaging but I never tried to salvage a salvaged item?

This was added to the game in June 2013 to maintain the value of ecto but also lower the growing cost of Crystalline Dust.