do you delete ascended mats?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: doomfodder.2906

doomfodder.2906

Ascended mats (Bloodstone Dust, Dragonite Ore & Empyreal Fragments) are worse than dandelions… At least dandelions can be sold to a merchant.

These ascended mats all have an important use (making ascended weps/armor) but are still only one component of the relevant recipes. Other items of the ascended recipes are far less readily available (T6 mats). So without enough gold in my account to purchase enough T6 mats, there is a “need” to hoard the ascended mats until enough of the recipe constituents are acquired.

Unfortunately, I’m hitting my hoarding limit. It’s gotten to the point where I don’t really want to open world boss, wvw, & jp loot chests anymore. It simply feels wrong to open a chest and then delete some of the contents (ascended mats) because I don’t have room for them or willing to spend the ~15 silver to craft them into items where my ascended crafted mat storage is almost full.

Some solutions are to buy more character inventory slots or bank slots or make mules just to store ascended mats. These solutions are only a temporary tactic to “kick the can down the road”. I know the easy answer is just don’t do the content that yields ascended mats, but except for jp, this is the content where all the players amass. So far I’ve spent around 75g in reagents alone just refining into Bloodstone Bricks, Dragonite Ingots & Empyreal Stars (not counting the obsidian shard) in efforts to conserve inventory space created by the raw ascended mats. 75g isn’t that much & I suspect that some will respond with something like just suck it up & spend more to refine & conserve space (always an option).

Any chance ascended mats can be made salvageable? That way there’s a cost for conversion (kinda like reagents & obs shards) which is lower if you don’t want to use the ascended mat in a recipe. The result of the salvage could be something equally as valuable like a pile of silky sand. My preference would be to have a special merchant that would buy them for at least as much as a dandelion (2 copper each) so that you could sell a stack at a time for 5 silver

Posted by: Afyael.1740

Afyael.1740

Allowing them to be sold to merchants or salvaged for something would be a good idea but for now its best just to delete them. I keep 4 stacks of each material(1k total) – a decent amount if I want to make something on impulse.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

My solution is to make enough bricks/stars/ingots to craft a full set of ascended gear, then delete the rest. This only costs a bit of silver for the reagent and karma for the obsidian and it means I can store them on the collectables tab again.

When I do start making ascended gear it’s highly unlikely I’ll even make 1 full set all together (I’m in no hurry and want to do it cheaply so I’ll probably be saving up mats rather than buying them) so I’ll have plenty of time while I’m using up what I’ve got to collect new ascended materials.

(Although if it wasn’t for the fact that I know I will want to make ascended gear one day I’d just delete them. No point wasting space on something you’ll never use.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Mojo Gris Gris.5941

Mojo Gris Gris.5941

It’s my opinion that ALL account bound/soulbound items should be sellable to vendors, even if it’s for a measly 3 or 4 copper each. Destroying loot should never be your only option.

Posted by: Xiahou Mao.9701

Xiahou Mao.9701

Those Ascended materials exist for the purpose of taking money out of the game economy via refinement. As such, attaching a sell price to them, no matter how pathetically small, is going against their intended goal.

When I have enough refined bricks/ingots/etc. to last myself a while, and my collectibles tab is full, I happily delete any extras I get without a second thought. Refining more than I need is pointless and just costs extra silver. Storing extras in my bank (or on mule characters) is taking up valuable space that could be used for other things. There’s no harm in just deleting the excess, it’s not as though there’s someday going to be a Bloodstone Dust crisis in Tyria.

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

I love how often they drop. I can afford to delete any past my maximum deposit, because if I need more later they’ll just fall in my lap.

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

I used to delete bloodstone dust but now I’ve made a mule alt and keep everything there. As an ANet developer just mentioned in a wvw thread, do not delete this stuff, as they’re coming out with new things to use it on!!

I can’t really afford to make ascended stuff but knowing ANet I thought it prudent to keep this, as they often do stuff that makes you go “DOH!!!!” at some point.

eta: I just realized that the post in wvw that i was referring to was necro’d. Please disregard where I said ANet “JUST SAID THAT”. LOL.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

(edited by ozmaniandevil.6805)

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

I am not going for ascended crafts so when i have a full stack its byebye

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bloodstone_Brick

Just make the Bloodstone Dust into bricks at the Mysic Forge.
-You need 450 in crafting to do it.
-You’ll need 2 Obsidian Shards: “Tactician Deathstrider, when the Cathedral of Glorious Victory is under Pact control, for 2,100 Karma each”
-Thermocatalytic Reagentx10 (bought from any crafting vendor)

You can also revert it back to Dust in the Mystic Forge.
-1 Bloodstone Brick
-100 Bloodstone Dust (i think)
-1 Essence of Luck
-1 Mystic Coin

(edited by nexxe.7081)

Posted by: NTDK.4897

NTDK.4897

As an ANet developer just mentioned in a wvw thread, do not delete this stuff, as they’re coming out with new things to use it on!!

Honestly, I dont even care if they will be important later. Because of how easy it is to get them.

ign: Larxene Rakushinu
Incoming Quaggans [iQ]

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

It’s my opinion that ALL account bound/soulbound items should be sellable to vendors, even if it’s for a measly 3 or 4 copper each. Destroying loot should never be your only option.

that was very well said.

I would recommend against refining them. There’s a good chance any drain to these materials will call for the basic material and not the refined version. just look at how many uses the basic has vs. the refined:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Pile_of_Bloodstone_Dust (~12)
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bloodstone_Brick (~5)

huh. I didn’t know there was a recipe to turn bloodstone brick into bloodstone dust…
100 dust + 2 obby shard + 10 reagent = 1 brick
1 brick + 1 dust + 1 essence of luck + 1 mystic coin = 250 dust
It even increases how much dust you have. but at the cost of a lot of karma and a little coin.

Posted by: Mojo Gris Gris.5941

Mojo Gris Gris.5941

Those Ascended materials exist for the purpose of taking money out of the game economy via refinement. As such, attaching a sell price to them, no matter how pathetically small, is going against their intended goal.

I understand that. I just don’t like it. It seems like such a waste, especially with all the junk drops out there.

Posted by: sMihaly.1492

sMihaly.1492

-You’ll need 2 Obsidian Shards: “Tactician Deathstrider, when the Cathedral of Glorious Victory is under Pact control, for 2,100 Karma each”

-1 Bloodstone Brick
-1 Essence of Luck
-1 Mystic Coin

good advice, but nobody is throwing out extra mats&money to make rubish into compact rubish

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

-1 Bloodstone Brick
-1 Essence of Luck
-1 Mystic Coin

good advice, but nobody is throwing out extra mats&money to make rubish into compact rubish

It’s only rubbish if you don’t have the necessary crafting disciplines or are not interested in Fractals.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

-1 Bloodstone Brick
-1 Essence of Luck
-1 Mystic Coin

It’s been stated by a dev, that they might become more useful in the future, and it’s also good idea for alts. I think it’s bad design to have them drop so frequently though, before they are able to be utilized.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I have deleted stacks of Bloodstone dust before…..just simply taking up too much storage. I may regret it someday, but I still have several thousand in storage….and get more everyday.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Danikat.8537

If they’re needed later on (and I want the item) I’ll save them up later on.

I’m not going to waste bank or inventory space saving materials on the off chance that I need them one day. It’s not like it’s hard to get more.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I would advise you to keep at LEAST 50 bricks/stars/ingots on hand. That is equivalent to 5000 of each mat. They will almost certainly be used in significant quantity for precursor crafting and new legendary items.

At the very least, I will be back here to tell you to stop whining that you deleted them and it isn’t fair in 6 months when you are short.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

There are so many players with “bank alts” who have bags stuffed with stacks of these mats that making them sellable at any value would immediately add a huge amount of currency to the game. The sudden addition of this currency would lead to inflation and the price of everything that can be bought on the TP goes up.

This is a bad thing. Especially for players who aren’t hoarding these mats, and so don’t have access to a sudden windfall of coin.

If you don’t have a use for the mats, delete them.

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

If they’re needed later on (and I want the item) I’ll save them up later on.

I’m not going to waste bank or inventory space saving materials on the off chance that I need them one day. It’s not like it’s hard to get more.

That’s easy, just craft them into Bricks, each one is only two Obsidian Shards and ten Thermocatalytic Reagents.

Danikat.8537

I would advise you to keep at LEAST 50 bricks/stars/ingots on hand. That is equivalent to 5000 of each mat. They will almost certainly be used in significant quantity for precursor crafting and new legendary items.

At the very least, I will be back here to tell you to stop whining that you deleted them and it isn’t fair in 6 months when you are short.

That’s only relevant if you want to be able to make a precursor/legendary/whatever item as soon as it’s released.

If any recipes requiring a lot of these are added they’ll almost certainly be permanent additions to the game so there’s no need to stockpile things now because they might be useful later.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

That’s only relevant if you want to be able to make a precursor/legendary/whatever item as soon as it’s released.

If any recipes requiring a lot of these are added they’ll almost certainly be permanent additions to the game so there’s no need to stockpile things now because they might be useful later.

Also, the devs know that some players are hoarding these mats against future uses/sales and anything they want to lock behind a time gate (as opposed to, say having 50,000 precursors added to the game in a weekend) will require different materials and/or additional processing to keep a lot of players from reaching the finish line all at once.

So hoarding mats you can’t use, sell or give away probably won’t save you much time or effort in the long run, anyway.

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

I have 30 stacks of Bloodstone Dust, and dragonite Ore, and I’m deleting the rest (naturally, I keep all my empyreal fragments) That doesn’t include the 170+ bricks and ingots I also have. I was keeping all of it, but it was TAKING OVER my inventory. I know I could spend karma to make more bricks, et al, but when you spend 500k karma, and it doesn’t make a dent in your bank’s store, just the amount you’re carrying on your character, it gets depressing. Anyways, yes, I delete all the new dragonite, and bloodstone, and keep empyreal.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I’m currently refining all of mine as a way of getting from 450 – 475 in Ascended crafting. I have 5 characters I’ll eventually outfit all in Ascended gear, so I’ll need a lot of Ascended mats. It’s a good thing I didn’t delete any since they were introduced.

Posted by: Weindrasi.3805

Weindrasi.3805

I don’t craft and I never will—I detest crafting. So I will never have use for the stacks and stacks and stacks I accumulate. My bank is filled to the brim with stacks, my characters have lost half their inventories to stacks, and I continue to get more and more and more. There is no way to get rid of them, except to delete them—and I hate the idea of deleting them, only to have arenanet come out with a way to sell or exchange them. It’s awful like this.

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

Cant wait for anet to do something like 250 bloodstone bricks, 250 dragonite ingots required for…. dragon reach part 2 backpiece evolution.

Posted by: SlackerATC.5934

SlackerATC.5934

I save them on a Necro alt that I will never play (not that I don’t like them, just not my playstyle). I had 20 slot bags on him but switched those to a Ranger to hold the Ascended Rings instead. Except for Dragonite Ore (cause as you can see I need 1 more stack to fill the inventory, recently just made an ascended armor set) I delete all the stacks I get now of the other 2 mats as I feel that this supply will cover me for whatever might come up. I’m hoping that someday all this ascended stuff will be useful for some reason or another, especially the rings. Also hoping to fill 100 slots with rings including a regular and infused version of each ring currently available.

Attachments:

Posted by: Ark Bladesteele.2943

Ark Bladesteele.2943

I used to delete bloodstone dust but now I’ve made a mule alt and keep everything there. As an ANet developer just mentioned in a wvw thread, do not delete this stuff, as they’re coming out with new things to use it on!!

I can’t really afford to make ascended stuff but knowing ANet I thought it prudent to keep this, as they often do stuff that makes you go “DOH!!!!” at some point.

eta: I just realized that the post in wvw that i was referring to was necro’d. Please disregard where I said ANet “JUST SAID THAT”. LOL.

I was gonna say, he mentioned that 8 months ago. Right before ascended armor was introduced.

NSP’s resident crazy-eyed sylvari

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Yeah they also said at the exact same time there would be varying methods of obtaining ascended equipment.

So far, ascended armor is obtained by obscenely time gated crafting and no other means, and weapons are exactly the same, and they’ve had plenty of time to add other methods.

Ascended gear was made to give a certain (but regrettably large) demographic of players a carrot to chase while ANet got a good strong content production line going. Now that it has served that purpose my bet’s that they’ll never touch it again except to dangle more produce in front of the sheep demographic, never to actually truly expand the content in a good solid way.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I haven’t deleted any ascended mats yet, mainly because I’m not done leveling all my crafts from 400 to 500. So whenever I’m in the mood to do that, I refine all that dust and dragonite and save myself some money in the early levels.

Once I’m done with this (not really being in a hurry), no idea what I’ll do. They really do keep piling up.

Posted by: justkoh.4073

justkoh.4073

Empyreal Fragments I throw away immediately or once a stack is completed.

Pile of Bloodstone Dust I keep only because I still have stacks of Pristine Toxic Spore samples and can make the “Toxic” series nourishment.

Dragonite Ore I used to keep but after Dry Top, I think I may start throwing them away soon.

That said, I try to maintain about 60 each of Empyreal Stars, Bloodstone Bricks and Dragonite Ingots at any time.

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

i bank them on my useless characters which are sitting somewhere in the world on a rich ore node

would never craft this in ingots jsut to get more bankspace – thats such a waste

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

I never delete anything, always hoping it will become useful one day. I have one mule just for Bloodstone Dust and his inventory is almost full, will have to assign a second one. And this is after crafting 50 bricks for my own use, of which I still have ~20.

Who knows, maybe the guild halls will have to be built of Bloodstone Bricks…

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

The game needs far more recipes and mystic toilet options to make usage of all the tons of bloodstone dust, empyreal shard, dragonite ore ect. other then refining that to bricks ect.

ANet should allow with the Craftign System to refine equipment to a higher quality or to a higher required level (upgrading) with the help of dust/shard/or and bricks.

Example: You get a Lvl 80 Green Item dropped.

Refine this Item to a Level 80 yellow Item by using up 125 Bloodstone Dust, 125 Empereal Shard and 125 Dragonite Ore.
Now you want to refine that Lvl 80 Item to a Lvl 80 exotic.

refine it now with 250 Bloodstone Dust, 250 Empereal Shards and 250 Dragonite Ore and you refine your Lvl 80 rare item into a lvl 80 exotic one.

You want to refine it further into an ascended item? Fine, throw it into the mystic forge together with xx augur stones, x vision crystals and 250 mystic coins, et voila done …

You get a lvl 50 yellow dropped and you want to upgrade it to your current max level, that is for example 60?
Upgrade it through crafting by using bloodstone dust, empereal shards and dragonite ore together with a crafting material of the normal materials, like wood, leather or ore of a lower tier.
So higher you want to upgrade it, so higher the tieer neede of the wood, leathe and normal ore.

Upgrade an Item from Lvl range 30 to Level range 40 = Tier 2 Mats
Upgrade an Item from Lvl range 40 to Level range 50 = Tier 3 Mats
Upgrade an Item from Lvl range 50 to Level range 60 = Tier 4 Mats
Upgrade an Item from Lvl range 60 to Level range 70 = Tier 5 Mats
Upgrade an Item from Lvl range 70 to Level 80 = Tier 6 Mats

Upgrading from Range 10 to 30 wouldn’t require as 4th item any material, there instead you’d use a certain amount of Luck Essence.
—-

This game needs to get rid hof the huge amounts of blood stone dust ect.
Otherwise, makign it able to sell the dust ect in stacks to NPCs or to trade them in stacks for something different would be also nice.

Like give NPC a stack of Bloodstone Dust ang get backg a bag of T6 materials, or a few Obsidian Shards or have a little chance to receive ascended materials like Deldrimor Steel .
Would be RNG, but at least a nice RNG, that works in a good way and would help to remove the tons of those t7 materials that have yet way too less options to make use of them.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Woljnir.7810

Woljnir.7810

As an ANet developer just mentioned in a wvw thread, do not delete this stuff, as they’re coming out with new things to use it on!!

Honestly, I dont even care if they will be important later. Because of how easy it is to get them.

Then I and many others who were told there will never any other use for it would like some compensation. For those of us uninterested in ascended crafting these mats have been nothing but a terrible nuisance. I hoarded for a while and had 10+ stacks of everything in the off hope they would at least be sellable to vendors some day before I just got tired of it taking up space. I understand why it can’t be traded, but it’s just such a terrible waste to destroy so many mats that I know people could put to good use.

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

I just delete all my ascended mat stacks now. I had an entire mule (80+ slots) full of stacks because I WvW and EOTM a lot, but there’s only so long you can keep holding on to some sort of hope that Anet will make other uses for them – so I delete them all from now on.

I’ve made so many bloodstone bricks (I think I have 96 or so of these), dragonite ingots and empyreal stars that I don’t need any more of them anyway.

The only annoying thing now is that getting the dust, ores and fragments are a nuisance and an inventory clogger-upper.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Allowing them to be sold to merchants or salvaged for something would be a good idea but for now its best just to delete them. I keep 4 stacks of each material(1k total) – a decent amount if I want to make something on impulse.

Yeah, keep it account bound but sellable for a few silver. Not a perfect solution (ideally you’d expand the number of uses, add more recipes and stuff but the rate at which ANet adds new ones will never match the rate of mat acquisition) but it’s the easiest to implement.

Posted by: Gregori.5807

Gregori.5807

No. I just can’t bring myself to throw it out. I have zero interest in ascended anything (other than the trinkets via laurels and guild commendations) but it goes so far against the grain to delete it.

I let the stuff clog up one alt until that alt can’t hold more then make it into bricks. Maybe some day anet will give me a use for it or let us sell it.

~~On Blackgate since Beta~~
80s: Necro x2, Ranger, Warr, Guardian x2, Ele x2, Mes, Thief

Posted by: Mireles Lore.5942

Mireles Lore.5942

I have 2 characters with nearly 8 20 slot bags filled with em each. When they get full they will be 80 stacks of dust and 40 stacks of shards and ore.

I will be forced to start refining at this point as other characters are storing investment items. I still have hopes they will come out with ascended food and utility to use this stuff on besides the current toxic ones.

Director – Xunlai Heroic Service Agents [XHSA] | Yak’s Bend
http://xunlaiheroes.wix.com/xhsa

Posted by: Mireles Lore.5942

Mireles Lore.5942

Then I and many others who were told there will never any other use for it would like some compensation.

By who?

Director – Xunlai Heroic Service Agents [XHSA] | Yak’s Bend
http://xunlaiheroes.wix.com/xhsa

Posted by: Asgaeroth.6427

Asgaeroth.6427

I have one full bank tab of it it, one full mule character of it with only basic 12 slot bag upgrades and no extra bag slots, and started a second mule who also has some 12 slotters and the default bag slots. Would rather buy more storage than delete it. My time is precious in game, I’m not disposing of the loot. If they don’t give us something to do with the loot we get before I completely cap my account out on ascended mats then I suppose I’ll just stop playing. Would be happy with a 1 copper vendor price, would feel more reasonable than making us delete, or make it currency for something even if the prices are obscene. Like 3,000 dust for a T6 mat or something.

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

You can use bloodstone dust to make some ascended back pieces. That’s what I’m doing. Of course I have tons of dust but it’s taking me forever to save up 250 powerful bloods that I need for the recipe. Harsh ANet, very harsh.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

Yeah they also said at the exact same time there would be varying methods of obtaining ascended equipment.

So far, ascended armor is obtained by obscenely time gated crafting and no other means, and weapons are exactly the same, and they’ve had plenty of time to add other methods.

Ascended gear was made to give a certain (but regrettably large) demographic of players a carrot to chase while ANet got a good strong content production line going. Now that it has served that purpose my bet’s that they’ll never touch it again except to dangle more produce in front of the sheep demographic, never to actually truly expand the content in a good solid way.

Ascended gear can also be obtained from FotM and WvW chests, I believe.

Posted by: Anmida.4058

Anmida.4058

Ascended gear can also be obtained from FotM and WvW chests, I believe.

As well as World Event chests, specially Triple Trouble and Tequatl. Though to be fair, the chances of getting them outside high level fractals are so abysmally low and up to RNG, it may as well just not be a viable way of actually working towards obtaining them.

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

I delete ascended mats, I guess it’s about 250 a day, when killing world bosses.

Exception is Bloodstone dust, which can be used on toxic utility consumables.

But then again, there’s the shortage of T6 mats, as mentioned before, required for the toxic consumables, as I got about over 100 bloodstone dust for each 1 crystaline dust…

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Posted by: doomfodder.2906

doomfodder.2906

summary of OP responses…

46 posts to date
12 = delete ascended mats
11 = hoard/refine ascended mats
23 = comments/suggestions about the glut of ascended mats

Posted by: Ignavia.7420

Ignavia.7420

You can now use Mawdrey 2 to transform Bloodstone Dust into awesome stuff, like greens and blues. Still better than deleting, though.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I generally delete dust since its terribly easy to acquire at any pace. You can grind champ boxes rapidly any time you want. I do occasionally make a few extra bricks though, I don’t delete it all.

I hoard dragonite and especially empyreal fragments, though, since dragonite is limited to world chests and fragments are limited (at least for me, being that I don’t do WvW or dungeons) by jumping puzzles and now Dry Top chests.

Mind you, pretty much all of my ascended materials are just sitting in the bank anyway. I’m not anywhere near the point where I actually craft Ascended gear, considering I’m not even done gearing most of my characters with exotics (at least all the skins I want) and since I don’t do fractals there’s little hurry for me to do so anyway. The only Ascended item I’ve ever crafted was the Spinal Blades pack, and I did that more for the skin than the fact that I wanted an Ascended item.

Posted by: mbridg.4069

mbridg.4069

It would be nice if there was more of a balance for the mats. Instead of having a ton of a few types of mats, it would be cool if the T6 mats were mixed in with it. It would give players another way to collect the T6 stuff instead of just trying to make money to buy the T6 mats that you need.

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

There’s no harm in just deleting the excess, it’s not as though there’s someday going to be a Bloodstone Dust crisis in Tyria.

This. If you ever run out you can just hop on the Karma Train and get more. No sense wasting money on stuff you’ll probably never need.