[merged] Will race change be available ever?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mist.6217

Mist.6217

If they don’t give us race change I’ll just go back to TERA

Just a personal opinion but threatening to leave if a feature isn’t added probably isn’t the best way to get it added.

Posted by: Ision.3207

Ision.3207

The main issue is the personal story.

It’s not prepared for a race change.

If they let you change race, you could play personal story again and get all the rewards again with a fully geared character.

Race change would only be possible if you had to replay all the story again at least until the parts that are not unique to race, but also forfeiting their rewards so you can’t get them twice.

Actually, no, not really.

They could create a standard “default” completed personal storyline for each race. And when you accept race change for your 1000 gems, you accept the standard default settings (with zero rewards) for the race chosen. Period, Done.

Colin Johanson to Eurogamer: "Everyone, including casual gamers,
by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.
We want everyone on an equal power base.”

(edited by Ision.3207)

Posted by: hellsmachine.4085

hellsmachine.4085

Not going to happen. For about the billionth time now; Arena Net already confirmed that they will not be adding race changing to the game because of the impact that would have on your personal story and home instance.

They also confirmed that there will be no gear grind therefore your statement is invalid. If the demand is high enough Anet will supply. It’s good business. We just need to make more noise.

ANET PLZ ALLOW ME TO SWAP RACE WITH GEMS. K THANKS.

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

But every evidence states that they should allow race change… there’s $$$ to be made boys!

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: Rynn.1324

Rynn.1324

You’re an asura and you want to change your race?

You should probably spend the money on a doctor visit instead; there’s obviously something wrong with you.

More serious note: A huge portion of the personal story is tied into your race and its options, so I don’t see this ever happening.

[Tarnished Coast] Lizzibeth Huffles, Asuran Genius (Engineer) at Play

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

god i hope so, I am not sure how the cultural armor pieces will change, or they are to become univesaly used trough the new armor locker.

I would love to change my female light armor sylvari into a male char, maybe i can get some good looking armor that way and not look like an utter fool ^^

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

Posted by: Eternal.9148

Eternal.9148

Idk why ppl act so scared about race change. What does it changes in your life is someone else decide to change race? Looks like someone is robbing your home. Honestly, i couldn’t care less about my personal story, if it’s a price to pay for changing my race. I love asuras appearance and cuteness, but i realized there’s nothing more than it. Armors and legendaries are tiny and have poor details, a frostfang or a meteorlogicus on an asura looks like a toothpick, while on other races are showy. I never thought i would ask for a race change, but after crafting my legendaries i could pay even 50€ to change my appearance. After all, anet gave up on many aspects of the manifesto, i’m NOT complaining about it, because i’m still playing, but i feel a race change should be available. Moreover, they didn’t event talk about race change on the manifesto, one more reason it could be available. Look it from the customer perspective: if i don’t like my appearance, it’s useless for me to spend my money buying new cash armor or weapons. If i can’t enjoy changing my equipment, there’s no reason i will buy trasmutation stones or total makeover kits (i spent real money to change my appaearance at least 4 times this year). Legendaries are a goal, appearance is not totally involved when someone decide to craft it, but it’s essential after you do it. It’s superficial to answer someone asking for a race change “just reroll another char and do it all over again”, there’s ppl like me who invested all it’s time on a particoular character, who has a full ascended armor, some legendaries, more than 3 full jewerly ascended sets, various ascended weapons, and countless exotic armor sets with runes on, not mentioning 100% map and a ton of old content soulbound items that are not coming back anymore. Therefore, calculating that once purchased, skins can’t be reused at will on all accounts (if not with an enormous amount of money) I find it fair to those who have decided to change, the ability to change race without being penalized more than they are now. If the goal of anet is to force ppl to buy trasmutation splitters/trasmutation stone to swap items from a toon to another, then it won’t take much for ppl to get bored and play less, maybe leave the game.
In the end, anet is a business, race change is a business, am i free to spend my money as i like?

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Since all armour looks silly on asura’s, i would like to have this option. Want to make a human thief instead of asura.

Posted by: Papa Berz.3756

Papa Berz.3756

Well its pretty hard to do that but… Make it a Skin of some kind… wouldn’t that be more viable rather than a RACE CHANGE your still human or char in an ASURA skin hehehe.. at least they dont have to change the Story line or path etc. etc. but ofcourse you cannot or will not be able to get the Cultural armors off the vendor since you are still HUMAN race or any other race prior to the SKIN change

Posted by: Evalia.7103

Evalia.7103

Of course it needs to be implemented.
There are people that want it, there are no people that do not want it. Simple enough?
If you don’t like it, don’t change your race. You won’t be worse off in guild wars 2 than others if you don’t buy it.
On the other hand, we have people practically begging for it tired of their Asura’s with peanut-sized Eternities.
And there isn’t a single problem with achievements/crap/whatever. It’s all doable.
Achievements – WTF? Where did you even find a problem?
Story – Have you ever completed it? Newsflash, you have NO PERSONAL STORY after you have done it. No Home Instance? Hell yeah, I’m a wanderer with no home whatsoever – and I don’t see a problem with that – never actually ever visiting my home instance.
And that’s coming from the guy who rerolled from human to norn (had 1k+ hours and a legendary on human, re-rolled even before transmutation splitters were introduced(which allowed me to transfer sunrise))

Posted by: ladybutter.5280

ladybutter.5280

In the business world, there’s no such thing as impossible, just give workers lots of time and lots of money and assurance that they’ll earn more than what they spend on whatever it is you’re trying to make them do.

Anyone familiar with Bioware’s games? Mass Effect for example, their save file is filled with huge amount of variables which carry over to the next game. Sure there’s an editor but there are some variables in there that when you touch it, it’ll break some parts of the game.

Probably a sample of what variables in the save file looks like: http://pastebin.com/zv8mxcxs

It’s the same with GW2. Variables. Conditions. I don’t know if the way the variables are laid out are structured to be easily editable even by them.

So yeah. Easy.

Posted by: iFruit.6190

iFruit.6190

This topic widely reminded me of the time I started a similar petition on SW:TOR forums a year back, only our opponents thought of more imaginative arguments than those seen here. The sheer numbers of the opposition were a huge challenge to overcome! Of course, in the end we prevailed, and BioWare finally introduced the feature and made a fortune overnight for very little cosmetic work.

Now, to the “no, never-eres”: who gave you the microphone? Can’t believe OP expected to receive your valuable input and not that of devs, and there’s no crimson banner over your profiles. I never stop getting amused at the confidence with which you make obliging statements on matters far beyond your reach. If you don’t want the feature – stay away from it! Simple!

Approaches to easily implement race change feature and not cripple existing content:

- story-wise: no changes are made to initial story accomplishments, character keeps them and associated achievements. Instead, at any point of personal story development a new ‘event’ can be noted down to the story tab (numerous times): character slipped and fell down the Mystic Forge, turning from race A to race B. Story then progresses (if needed). Race change can only be applied after associated character creation screen story options have been executed in-game (around levels 20-30, starting from your pick of an Order);
- equipment-wise: any previously purchased cultural armor automatically switches to new race’s appropriate armor type & tier, whereas previous cultural merchants automatically lock off and new ones open;
- skill-wise: race skills automatically apply to a race, what’s there to recode?? Who actually uses them, be honest!
- what else is there to change?

So, in short, not that hard to do, hope we’ll see it coming soon, and no, don’t thank me.
You negative people could have come up with this yourselves, just learn to think broadly and not in a straight kittens line which you set yourselves to.

Posted by: TheUpsides.2963

TheUpsides.2963

It isn’t impossible, however it is most likely implausible because of the coding. no matter how much players want this to happen (myself included), it won’t happen unless there is huge support behind the idea of a race change.

regardless, if it were to happen, there has to be conditions:
- reset the personal story OR have us fully complete the personal story before purchasing
- All cultural armor should be non useable. A small price to pay

Genderchange, total makeover, and other cosemetic changes are already made possible, so race change seems very possible.

Posted by: MAD CAT.9321

MAD CAT.9321

ANET logic: Too much work, just add more skins to the gem store instead.

Posted by: Ashkandur.2578

Ashkandur.2578

I’d pay 100€ for 1 race change. And im sure more people would. So they should definitly look into making it possible to earn some good money.

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

No race change. You would have to change the early PS then too. It would be too hard. There are the choices you made at the beginning of character creation, that would be hard to re-do.

You just need to make sure you pick the right race, the first time.

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

ANET logic: Too much work, just add more skins to the gem store instead.

Player logic is just too pathatic to describe on the other hand.

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

Just make a reborn orb, reset lv and personal story. Keep all gear and character name, its perfectly fine to me. All i want is the same character with a race change, keep the name and kama gears…

Dusty Moon.4382

Just make a reborn orb, reset lv and personal story. Keep all gear and character name, its perfectly fine to me. All i want is the same character with a race change, keep the name and kama gears…

No – you would have to reset to lvl 1 and go from there. I don’t think any player would want that. Also, your gear, you accumulated, would have to be gone.

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

No – you would have to reset to lvl 1 and go from there. I don’t think any player would want that. Also, your gear, you accumulated, would have to be gone.

For what you’ve said, all gear gone, level reset to 1, why need a race change item?

Just del and make a new toon is easier.

What i mean is reset lv to 1, and reset personal story. But keep the gear. You can’t use it unless you level up your character to lv80 again, You can’t use it if it is cultural armor , you can’t use it if your changed your weight class. i don’t see a problem here. Especially with the new wardrobe system, you kept your skin already. If you get every gear to ascend level, you keep your gear as well. So with a lv and personal story reset and keep the name and gear, whats the matter at all?

Dusty Moon.4382

For what you’ve said, all gear gone, level reset to 1, why need a race change item?

Just del and make a new toon is easier.

What i mean is reset lv to 1, and reset personal story. But keep the gear. You can’t use it unless you level up your character to lv80 again, You can’t use it if it is cultural armor , you can’t use it if your changed your weight class. i don’t see a problem here. Especially with the new wardrobe system, you kept your skin already. If you get every gear to ascend level, you keep your gear as well. So with a lv and personal story reset and keep the name and gear, whats the matter at all?

That is the point. Just erase and redo the character.

Dusty Moon.4382

I think there are better uses of A.Net’s resources than this – new exploration areas, etc.

Posted by: Ision.3207

Ision.3207

I think there are better uses of A.Net’s resources than this – … .

On the contrary, I think there are no better use of a companies resources than to create a product that can both generate more revenue for the company, and please a great number of their customers.

Colin Johanson to Eurogamer: "Everyone, including casual gamers,
by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.
We want everyone on an equal power base.”

Posted by: Zahld.4956

Zahld.4956

oh just allow change of everything. people like their customizing, building and rebuilding with saved work.

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

oh just allow change of everything. people like their customizing, building and rebuilding with saved work.

That’s what I think aswell..

AND it will add some more gem purchases for anet, I’m sure. I for one would buy 5 of these race changes right away, to make everything I have asura (I love them too much).

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: Umut.5471

Umut.5471

The most important things are my world completion, and unlocked character bag slots. Otherwise it’s already easy to create another character and make it instantly l80 via tomes. “Race change contract” item is needed in gemstore, they can even make money with that feature.

Dusty Moon.4382

It would be cheaper to buy another character slot and then make the race you want.

DONE!

Posted by: FinalPatriot.8034

FinalPatriot.8034

I have been playing the same character since I began GW2 and so it’s the character itself that is important. However, back then, I didn’t really know the differences between Norn or Humans and so I just picked one. I don’t care if I have to redo my personal story, loose racial items, etc. If there was a contract available, I’d gladly pay Anet the cost.

Laura Seranus – Mesmer –
“Shatter Me!”
“I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.”

Posted by: Magnus Steelgrave.6580

Magnus Steelgrave.6580

Its a shame we can’t get a dev in here to give a final say on the whole matter then sticky the kittener so this will just go away and not be a pointless “I want race change” “so make a new character” “well I have xxx amount of time invested and don’t want to delete it entirely” or " I have 2000 gems wrapped up in bag slots I don’t want to lose" endless circle that goes on.

Posted by: Deathmond.7328

Deathmond.7328

Wanna this too!

Posted by: Mulcias.8630

Mulcias.8630

I just want to change my race, nothing else. Charr is horrible in heavy armors (some sets are good, but please…) and no one is going to repair that. Why? Because devs are playing humans/norns so “XD let’s troll players and give them kitten-looking cat in funny clothes”

Posted by: Lazarus.3970

Lazarus.3970

I have been playing the same character since I began GW2 and so it’s the character itself that is important. However, back then, I didn’t really know the differences between Norn or Humans and so I just picked one. I don’t care if I have to redo my personal story, loose racial items, etc. If there was a contract available, I’d gladly pay Anet the cost.

If you don’t care about losing the story progress or cultural items, why not just… make a new character? Because you don’t want to have to level to 80 again? Oh, so you just want an insta-level 80 fully geared, not just a race change.

Posted by: FinalPatriot.8034

FinalPatriot.8034

If you don’t care about losing the story progress or cultural items, why not just… make a new character? Because you don’t want to have to level to 80 again? Oh, so you just want an insta-level 80 fully geared, not just a race change.

My character already is level 80 and fully geared (took hours upon hours to gear) so why should I do this all over again simply because I don’t like the animations of the character’s race?

Laura Seranus – Mesmer –
“Shatter Me!”
“I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.”

Posted by: Freshy.8947

Freshy.8947

Can we get a proper statement from development team on this topic? Will race change kit ever be avaible via gemstore or should we just level up same class again for a cosmetic change? Best wishes!

Posted by: Freshy.8947

Freshy.8947

Dear Devs, simple yes or no on this matter is more than enough. Thanks in advance & have a nice day!

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

Dear Devs, simple yes or no on this matter is more than enough. Thanks in advance & have a nice day!

But they have already responded. They said it is not planned. You can translate that to no. Reason why they said not planned is so that someone years down the road if they ever decide to do it can not call foul.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Posted by: Vesuvius.9874

Vesuvius.9874

No it won’t be available. They have stated this very clearly. Stop asking.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Decision → Consequence

This should not be a foreign concept.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: SODEONIUM.5682

SODEONIUM.5682

I know how unlikely it is but wouldn’t doing it as a plain and simple skin change work? same story and everything but with a disclaimer it won’t fit the race (more for end game than anything else) and do the same with the cultural armour, offer a disclaimer that if you change race your armour will change to the same tier cultural armour of the race you are switching to and i repeat skins only, no real impact on the game itself.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

No it won’t be available. They have stated this very clearly. Stop asking.

And the developers are forbidden from changing their minds, right?

Posted by: TokyoGhost.6492

TokyoGhost.6492

Im giving the 50 euros to developers on the very first day “Race change kit” is released. Interested in my money? Think way for making this possible. I know you can find a way.

I made so much mistakes that I now make mistakes without mistake.

Posted by: TerminalMontage.5693

TerminalMontage.5693

Yeah I’d buy gems for this.

I don’t want to make a new character, I’d rather just pay for the change. If the story is the real issue just make it reset. I don’t care.

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Only thing that matters for me is crafting. I had to roll out a new character because my sylvari ele had many recipes unlocked, if only there was a way to migrate crafting progress to another character…

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

It would be nice, but it sounds like a lot of work for Anet for so little.

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

I want a profession changer.... for the race character you are currently using..
ex: You got a level 50 Necromancer Human and you want to change that character to a Mesmer instead.

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

nGumball.1283

I want a profession changer…. for the race character you are currently using..
ex: You got a level 50 Necromancer Human and you want to change that character to a Mesmer instead.

This has even a smaller chance of happening.

Posted by: Prophet.6257

Prophet.6257

Will race change be available ever?

In all honesty I really doubt Anet will do this any time soon — if ever.

I’d love to have it and can see how it is really a primarily cosmetic decision but there does seem to be a large amount of development required to actually pull something like this off. I just don’t see them being willing/able to put the time required in it to do it.

(edited by Prophet.6257)

Posted by: Greyrebel.7492

Greyrebel.7492

race change is realy amazing and needed , about class change , never saw it in any other game but tbh there is a way anet can do it without worring about if people just jump to lvl 80 of theyr char without worring , wich is requiment of class cahnge is to already have that class at max lvl , so if my main is warrior and i want to change to mesmer i should already have a mesmer at lvl 80. soem of u might say why would some 1 need to change theyr class while they can make new 1 , well for me atleast my main feels diffrent i played it for a while and i love it its like me in virtual world XD

We are one , and one is all

nGumball.1283

race change is realy amazing and needed , about class change , never saw it in any other game but tbh there is a way anet can do it without worring about if people just jump to lvl 80 of theyr char without worring , wich is requiment of class cahnge is to already have that class at max lvl , so if my main is warrior and i want to change to mesmer i should already have a mesmer at lvl 80. soem of u might say why would some 1 need to change theyr class while they can make new 1 , well for me atleast my main feels diffrent i played it for a while and i love it its like me in virtual world XD

Why would Anet let you change classes/races when they want you to make a new character to play everything from the begining?

Bulding alts seems to be a thing for alot of people.
Making everything changeable will heavily decrease the popularity of having alts.

Posted by: TerminalMontage.5693

TerminalMontage.5693

I don’t see why some of you are so against it. They could make Race Change more expensive than New Character slots. People would still buy it. If it’s cheaper, but takes longer to level a new character to 80, making an Alt is still an option.

Blizzard has made millions with character services in WoW. More options is not a bad thing, and how hard can it be? It would pretty much be a more advanced Makeover Kit. And so Anet can roll in more dough, they should let the Race Changer only let you select default looks, so it encourages you to buy a Makeover Kit to get the newer looks after you change your race.

Then reset the story quests on that character if that’s an issue.

Sure I can make a brand new character and level him up. But I’m willing to pay to simply change my race, to save me time. GW2 is already so convenient and casual friendly, they might as well add this feature.