spoiling star wars in map chat

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

I would think a dev would say “this is a ‘civil case’” and want nothing, impersonal, to do with it b/c obvious ‘1984esque’ implications. My logical side argues, ‘well this is their world and they, ultimately, call the shots’.

What a pickle.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Apparently per another thread in this forum someone has now resorted to mailing strangers with spoiler information. I see only one way this could be an error rather than pure malice, and that’s if they were sending it to someone else and got the mail hijack bug of it going to a target instead of the typed name. Though even then I’d wonder what the point was of sending a mail with movie plot details.

Posted by: Mitch.4781

Mitch.4781

How is this even relevant to GW2. If it had of been any otehr film than Star Wars, this thread would have been deleted long ago.

God, people are such lemmings.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

How is this even relevant to GW2. If it had of been any otehr film than Star Wars, this thread would have been deleted long ago.

God, people are such lemmings.

Why would it have been? Its a thread about people griefing in map chat. Star Wars just happens to be the topic of the moment. Griefing is against the rules in general. I’m not sure how anybody could try to justify spoiling things for people as something other than being a jerk for the sake of being a jerk.

Posted by: Miss Lana Too.5794

Miss Lana Too.5794

Everyone’s opinion has value.

I simply believe that our rules against harassment encompass this sort of situation, where there’s no legitimate reason to shout spoilers in game and that the only motivation would seem to be a desire to cause distress to others. That would seems to make such activities reportable offenses that our CS agents will analyze and react to, as appropriate. (And let’s be clear, this was not a conversation, this was merely one person trying his/her best to spoil the movie for as many players a possible. Some sort of warped sense of power, perhaps? Who knows??)

This is yet another situation where my suggestion for being *pro*active and actually having privacy settings included in the game could potentially help, yet it’s been swept under the rug while I continually get spammed with gold sellers.

Please do have a look Gaile.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Whispering-privacy-functions-are-STILL-needed

45 characters, 20 level 80s, 11 impersonal story completions and counting.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Luke is Han’s father!

I learned my lesson with the absolute train wreck of garbage that were the last 3 star wars and the last Indiana Jones. No way I ever watch anything that fraud Lucas is associated with in any way.

What rock have you been hiding under? He sold his company.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: msalakka.4653

msalakka.4653

Four pages of back-and-forth about Star Wars spoilers?

Really?

Gutter Rat [cry] | Gandara | Roaming nuisance
~ There is no balance team. ~

Posted by: Misfit.5962

Misfit.5962

Four pages of back-and-forth about Star Wars spoilers?

Really?

The Force is strong with the Q_Q generation :/

Posted by: Auralae.7482

Auralae.7482

The people arguing against this not being rude, making this more difficult than it needs be, and diluting the obvious in my opinion are the exact kind of people likely to do such a thing.

It is just as easy to whisper, party up for a private chat, whatever…Stop feigning helplessness.

You really shouldn’t make assumptions.

I haven’t seen the movie. Might get around to seeing it. Haven’t had it spoiled in GW2, in spite of being in LA and DR quite a bit since it came out. Wouldn’t care much if it did get spoiled. It’s just a movie. Tbh, I think it’s a little ridiculous how upset people get over it, calling for reporting, bans and denouncing the hope “for the entire community” because they read something that spoiled a surprise. In some cases, yes, it’s intentionally rude. However, there’s plenty of rudeness that goes on. It happens. Move on. It’s silly to try and make some sort of reportable policy for someone spoiling a particular movie because it’s popular and people have a vested interest in it.

Spamming is against the ToS and there’s a report feature there for it. In that case, report and get over it.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

The people arguing against this not being rude, making this more difficult than it needs be, and diluting the obvious in my opinion are the exact kind of people likely to do such a thing.

It is just as easy to whisper, party up for a private chat, whatever…Stop feigning helplessness.

You really shouldn’t make assumptions.

I haven’t seen the movie. Might get around to seeing it. Haven’t had it spoiled in GW2, in spite of being in LA and DR quite a bit since it came out. Wouldn’t care much if it did get spoiled. It’s just a movie. Tbh, I think it’s a little ridiculous how upset people get over it, calling for reporting, bans and denouncing the hope “for the entire community” because they read something that spoiled a surprise. In some cases, yes, it’s intentionally rude. However, there’s plenty of rudeness that goes on. It happens. Move on. It’s silly to try and make some sort of reportable policy for someone spoiling a particular movie because it’s popular and people have a vested interest in it.

Spamming is against the ToS and there’s a report feature there for it. In that case, report and get over it.

Different people have different responses to spoilers. Some don’t care if someone tells them the entire plot. Others don’t mind the minor details being spoiled. Others don’t mind the plot twist being spoiled. Others do not want to hear one word about the movie or book or whatever other than “it was good” or “it was bad”.

You’re obviously not the latter most case. Nor am I. I don’t mind the little stuff being spoiled. I don’t mind major stuff too much as long as every detail of it isn’t spoiled. I don’t want to hear the major stuff, but it won’t ruin the movie if I hear major stuff without details.

Yes, calling for bans and giving sweeping generalizations about the community as a whole based on the few trolls is making mountains out of molehills. But those deliberately spoiling the movie are griefing others and that is a reportable offense. Especially the ones doing it in the LFG.

I’d considering it griefing is someone started posting spoilers for a recently released indie movie. It’s not griefing just because it’s spoilers for the new Star Wars movie.

Posted by: ham.8209

ham.8209

Not 100%, but sometimes I just wish bad bad things regarding some people in games.

So a guy is in LA spamming Star Wars spoilers. Nice.

PS: I’ve seen it already but C’MON!

Report it. Please!!

this is great news to hear !!!!!!!! shame thos that do these things can not be given a 60 day ban for doing thing,s like this .

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

re: Why on earth is this reportable? – The OP, Gaile, and most of the other posters in this merged thread are talking about people deliberately spamming spoilers in map chat. (for the purpose of griefing) Not someone who accidentally types in local or map chat instead of whisper or party chat.
Like Gaile said, CS will make individual judgements per report.

Yeah, I would hope it would be considered on a case by case basis and the main concerns would be intent and context.

I would hope, for example, that someone just, innocently, mentioning something during a mapchat conversation wouldn’t be punished.

As that isn’t trolling.

But, if someone is, intentionally, randomly (and especially, repeatedly) posting spoilers, that is clearly a trolling attempt.

So, they could presumably act on that, if they wanted to.

I think the whole thing with spoiler trolling, specifically, is kind of silly, personally.

It’s just revealing a movie plotline, after all and people say far worse things to people, all the time.

So, it would be kind of ridiculous, if a bunch of people got banned for this, while they often don’t seem to get banned (or not for long), for saying rude and unnecessary things, directly to people.

But, despite that, if you are saying things for no other reason than to, intentionally, try to upset people, you are a troll, pure and simple.

…and trolling is against the rules.

Whether it’s trolling about a movie plot, or something far more personal.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

(edited by Tigaseye.2047)

Posted by: Mightybird.6034

Mightybird.6034

People who purposefully spoil this type of stuff are cowardly garbage.

Posted by: Deleena.3406

Deleena.3406

IMO I think if it just comes up in a normal map chat conversation nothing should be done.
but is someone actually just throwing spoilers in map chat out of context repeatedly it should be considered spam/abuse (If someone is using whisper/mail to send only spoilers its basically is abuse/spam)

Posted by: Little Leota.5849

Little Leota.5849

Gaile, thank you for letting us know that these incidents are being reviewed. When it comes to spoilers, I think a month after the initial release is a fair amount of time to expect people to refrain from posting spoilers in local and map chat. I would include the forums as well, as I happened to have had a major point of the movie spoiled for me right here, in a thread that happened to be about Wintersday. It was so appallingly obvious that it was intentional too. Fortunately it was remedied, but I can’t unread what I read.

I agree with what so many others here have said: posting spoilers with the intent to cause harm is what we find so disagreeable. We should not have to avoid local and/or map chat in order to feel comfortable that something we find interesting will not be spoiled for us. Those who want to talk about it have plenty of “private” options where they can discuss it without ruining the surprise for others. It’s common courtesy and common sense.

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

This thread makes me not want to talk about any new movies in map chat now because I might get reported and banned.

Thanks, Gaile.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

This thread makes me not want to talk about any new movies in map chat now because I might get reported and banned.

Thanks, Gaile.

You’re being deliberately obtuse. This isn’t about casual conversation where someone accidentally lets slip a spoiler for someone else. This is a clear case of griefing that has no point and the player engaging in this should at least get a temporary (1 week or so) suspension.

Posted by: Sheobix.8796

Sheobix.8796

the new star wars movie was pretty bad so… there’s that

Posted by: VaLee.5102

VaLee.5102

Lawl @Gaile.
This is gonna bite Anet in the behind so bad in the future now that you’ve set a precedent.

(edited by VaLee.5102)

Posted by: Steeldragon.7308

Steeldragon.7308

What did Luke say?! OMG!

Posted by: Gaab.4257

Gaab.4257

Wow. I don’t like spoilers either but I don’t see any particular reason that BY ITSELF ALONE it would be something to report in a game. Can anyone please point out for me the relevant text in the game’s license that forbids it?

Posted by: Soa Cirri.6012

Soa Cirri.6012

Wow. I don’t like spoilers either but I don’t see any particular reason that BY ITSELF ALONE it would be something to report in a game. Can anyone please point out for me the relevant text in the game’s license that forbids it?

https://www.guildwars2.com/en-gb/legal/guild-wars-2-rules-of-conduct/

#17:

You will not exploit any bug in Guild Wars 2 and you will not communicate the existence of any such exploitable bug (bugs that grant the user unnatural or unintended benefits) either directly or through public posting, to any other user of Guild Wars 2.

GW2’s lack of an automated spoiler-warning censor bar over any content with the trigger words, “Star Wars,” “Force Awakens,” “Han Solo,” “Kylo Ren,” “Space battle,” “Chewbacca on harpsichord,” or “Luke Skywalker’s missing pants,” is an exploitable bug which players are abusing in mapchat.

Clearly.

Posted by: echo.2053

echo.2053

There isn’t a rule specifically against spoilers. They are just twisting the grieving clause because players are upset by something (when aren’t they).

Pretty iffy to act upon such silliness…

Bender the offender – Proud violator of 17 safe spaces –

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

i’m glad that i know how to turn off map chat..

some people seems to have no idea how…..

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Tiny Tove.3589

Tiny Tove.3589

First to say “Harrassment” wins.
pfft. Keep your community. I don’t want to walk around on eggshells in case I offend anybody.

Posted by: Kross.6428

Kross.6428

I understand why this sort of thing is wrong, and I think it’s terrible that some people are getting enjoyment out of purposely spoiling movies that others haven’t seen. However, I don’t see why this particular subject is receiving special treatment.

Over the years, I’ve observed far worse behavior go unpunished… including verbal abuse, griefing, bug exploitation, spamming, et cetera. The players that I reported never got banned. Furthermore, there isn’t even an option for specifically reporting “hacking” or “exploit abuse” under the report menu despite how important those issues are. Don’t tell me that “movie spoilers” is going to be added to the list…

Stormbluff Isle – Baka Royale [Baka]

Posted by: Soa Cirri.6012

Soa Cirri.6012

Over the years, I’ve observed far worse behavior go unpunished… including verbal abuse, griefing, bug exploitation, spamming, et cetera. The players that I reported never got banned. Furthermore, there isn’t even an option for specifically reporting “hacking” or “exploit abuse” under the report menu despite how important those issues are. Don’t tell me that “movie spoilers” is going to be added to the list…

No, you’re completely wrong. While well-known PvP ESL proleague pros willfully and openly violate Rule #22 on the GW2 Rules of Conduct, that’s nothing compared to the threat of having my non-GW2 content spoiled although it’s not “technically” against any rules. I’m glad that this issue, before so many other far less significant ones, merited a prompt official response.

Posted by: saye.9304

saye.9304

Not 100%, but sometimes I just wish bad bad things regarding some people in games.

So a guy is in LA spamming Star Wars spoilers. Nice.

PS: I’ve seen it already but C’MON!

Report it. Please!!

lady gray you do not play pvp do you??
because just last night some one who was losing got angry and disrespected me and put me on block…well naturally i got angry too and ask people in map chat to tell him censored..anyways i got reported and so did he..the situation at the moment is worser than star wars issue specially in pvp..you might want to pay attention to pvp rather than star wars stuff which is not related to gw2 what so ever.

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

Thanks, Gaile.

You’re being deliberately obtuse. This isn’t about casual conversation where someone accidentally lets slip a spoiler for someone else. This is a clear case of griefing that has no point and the player engaging in this should at least get a temporary (1 week or so) suspension.

That someone who accidentally let slip a movie spoiler might offend someone who then reports them, be it that the person reporting interprets the so called spoiler in a way which is offensive/spamming aka a reportable offense as indicated by Gaile’s post.

May as well not talk about any upcoming/new movies we like in map chat else it might be a spoiler to someone and could get us reported and banned.

Posted by: Domdog.3821

Domdog.3821

Batman is Bruce Wayne oops sorry spoilers

Posted by: Shikigami.4013

Shikigami.4013

May as well not talk about any upcoming/new movies we like in map chat else it might be a spoiler to someone and could get us reported and banned.

Why do you just repeat the stupid argument once again? The difference is that people standing in a map shouting the star wars spoilers are NOT accidentally spoiling something in a conversation which “may be” a spoiler to “someone”, they are deliberately causing grief by spoiling something which is clearly and obviously a spoiler for most people reading it – for no other reason than to cause grief. It does not take more than common sense to differenciate between the two situations.

The level of ignorance of the agrument "may as well […] is on par with “Why is murder forbidden, may as well just make dying illegal for everyone”.

Youtube “L2villagejester”.
People using belittling wording like whining/qqing" are not taken seriously by me
Same for people posting only to tell others not to post (“deal with it”-posts)

Posted by: Bellatrixa.3546

Bellatrixa.3546

I don’t agree with dictating what people can discuss in map-chat that isn’t already covered in the EULA/ToS, but if pushed for a time-frame I’d say the day of release should be the only day any punishment is implemented for spoilers. If that’s too harsh, my absolute limit would be the end of the film’s opening weekend. Because true fans who really care about film spoilers to the point that their mental health would be affected would have seen it by then.

Spoilers are everywhere. As people have said, many websites have published spoilers and this sort of thing happens in other places who won’t do anything about it so you could see it by chance elsewhere. Seriously. Please get some perspective; as the days go by this thread seems more and more ridiculous, sorry.

“Even if we find a way to save the world from the
dragons, I sometimes wonder if we’ll ever find a way to save us from ourselves.”

Posted by: pariah.5093

pariah.5093

This should not be a bannable offense period. If I want to talk about star wars, I’m going to talk about star wars. Thats why you have options to block people and filter your chats on and off. If anet makes this a reportable offense, then where does it stop? Soon talking about the weather will be taboo.
Anet needs to worry about running their game and fixing bugs and stay out of personal affairs. They will sink to an all time low if they start catering to all you crybabys that whine here instead of blocking people in game and filtering chat.
So yeah, if I want to engage in a star wars conversation, I’m going to without Anets permission. If they want to ban me now, then so be it. It wouldn’t be much of a loss anyways.

Posted by: felessan.9587

felessan.9587

Thanks, Gaile.

That someone who accidentally let slip a movie spoiler might offend someone who then reports them, be it that the person reporting interprets the so called spoiler in a way which is offensive/spamming aka a reportable offense as indicated by Gaile’s post.

This should cover your concerns. Gaile is very explicit that this isn’t about accidentally letting something slip. This is about someone griefing an entire map.

From what I’m told, this person isn’t engaging in a conversation, isn’t interacting with others. He or she has chosen to stand in the heart of Tyria spewing spoilers. That seems antagonistic towards other players; that seems anti-community and disrespectful.

If this wasn’t a movie that people have been waiting eagerly for half their lives to see, we probably wouldn’t be having this discussion.

The only other thing I can think of that came close recently is Harry Potter. When I worked in book retail and in public libraries, people did some downright vile things at the releases of the last few books.

Posted by: felessan.9587

felessan.9587

I don’t agree with dictating what people can discuss in map-chat that isn’t already covered in the EULA/ToS, but if pushed for a time-frame I’d say the day of release should be the only day any punishment is implemented for spoilers. If that’s too harsh, my absolute limit would be the end of the film’s opening weekend. Because true fans who really care about film spoilers to the point that their mental health would be affected would have seen it by then.

Spoilers are everywhere. As people have said, many websites have published spoilers and this sort of thing happens in other places who won’t do anything about it so you could see it by chance elsewhere. Seriously. Please get some perspective; as the days go by this thread seems more and more ridiculous, sorry.

“Guild Wars 2 Rules of Conduct

1. While playing Guild Wars 2, you must respect the rights of others and their rights to play and enjoy the Game. To this end, you may not defraud, harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress and/or unwanted attention to other players. This includes posting insulting, offensive, or abusive comments about players, repeatedly sending unwanted messages, reporting players maliciously, attacking a player based on race, sexual orientation, religion, heritage, etc. Hate speech is not tolerated."

This isn’t someone having a conversation and then being asked to knock it off. This is about griefing.

I generally agree opening weekend is enough time for a movie, but a week seems more than reasonable right now, especially give what movie this is and what time of year it is.

Bellatrixa.3546

“To this end, you may not defraud, harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress and/or unwanted attention to other players.”

Cause distress within reasonable bounds of tolerance. My point is that this is becoming day by day outside of those reasonable bounds of tolerance.

Trust me, people are not banned for simply distressing another player. That’s evident from these very forums, this thread and in game.

dragons, I sometimes wonder if we’ll ever find a way to save us from ourselves.”

(edited by Bellatrixa.3546)

Posted by: msalakka.4653

msalakka.4653

If people aren’t banned for teleport hacking in WvW even after Anet is provided with video evidence, then I doubt Star Wars spoiler trolls have anything to worry about.

Gutter Rat [cry] | Gandara | Roaming nuisance
~ There is no balance team. ~

Posted by: echo.2053

echo.2053

“To this end, you may not defraud, harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress and/or unwanted attention to other players.”

Cause distress within reasonable bounds of tolerance. My point is that this is becoming day by day outside of those reasonable bounds of tolerance.

Trust me, people are not banned for simply distressing another player. That’s evident from these very forums, this thread and in game.

perhaps online games aren’t for you then? If you can’t simply ignore others why put yourself in the middle of a mass of people…. just seems like a setup for failure :I

This is beyond silliness because everything griefs players

Bender the offender – Proud violator of 17 safe spaces –

Bellatrixa.3546

perhaps online games aren’t for you then? If you can’t simply ignore others why put yourself in the middle of a mass of people…. just seems like a setup for failure :I

This is beyond silliness because everything griefs players

Exactly. ‘Causing distress’ is a very loosely worded term and one could apply it to the smallest of things. Obviously people aren’t banned for those smallest of things and so it should be. As the days pass, this spoiler stuff is becoming a smaller thing and wasn’t even that big a thing to begin with. People asking for 60 day bans… That’s incredibly sad and if you deem it that serious an offence, I think you need some help. This plot could be spoiled for you literally anywhere.

(edited by Bellatrixa.3546)

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Thanks, Gaile.

The point 9is, you can’t police to prevent spoilers.

Say you start taking harsh measures against those that spoil on purpose, but not casual conversations. The trolls will simply start simulating conversations. Get a F2P account, go to a world boss in an starting area, and stalk talking to each other about the movie. So you will then start punishing casual conversations too?

And what about people making up fake spoilers for fun? They are not spoiling anything. But whoever hasn’t seen the movie doesn’t know they are spoilers unless they are very obvious fakes. Then you will punish those joking around?

At the end what you’ve done is setting rules that punish lots of innocent people because of the actions of a few dolyakasses.

No. When it comes to something like this, it’s each player’s responsibility to avoid getting spoiled. You can’t censor the entire world because of a few people that mind so much spoilers they’ll make such a big deal of something of no importance. It’s precisely the fact of people making such a big deal out of it what motivates them trolls to troll with it.

Trolls are like Merlin’s Queen Mab. Turn around, don’t look at them, don’t let them have power over you, and they disappear.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: mexay.3902

mexay.3902

Okay, okay, okay.

Everyone calm right down.

It’s. A. kittening. Movie.

Okay?

It’s just a movie, that has nothing to do with Guild Wars, absolutely nothing. Yet people are DEMANDING others lose access to their accounts and hell, Gaile is supporting this.

Where, exactly, in the ToS does it say that posting of spoilers in chat is disallowed? What does this apply to? Where does it stop? What about the new James Bond movie? What about the Heart of Thorns story itself, something GW2 related?

Hell what about bloody Twilight?

This is ridiculous and you should all take a long hard look in the mirror. You’re suggesting and encouraging that people lose access to their accounts because of A MOVIE.

Where does this policy start? Where does it end? What if you GENUINELY WANT TO TALK STAR WARS? Are you going to get banned for talking about something you love?

What about a new book?

How LONG after release do we have? What about Game of Thrones?

I’m sorry Gaile but you’re being unreasonable, as is everyone else and I seriously hope someone at the CS team tells you this. It’s completely ridiculous.

noice

ham.8209

when some one says this is It’s completely ridiculous. you can only see where they are going to next. and some times some are just too hard headed to see the light like i said before and this is how i think it should go in these cases . frist time 60 day bann second time a 90 day ban . and the 3rd time prema bann. and i hope the cs team posts on this saying it clear for others to get there heads around. and it is cases like this why i keep my chats turned off .

Posted by: mexay.3902

mexay.3902

when some one says this is It’s completely ridiculous. you can only see where they are going to next. and some times some are just too hard headed to see the light like i said before and this is how i think it should go in these cases . frist time 60 day bann second time a 90 day ban . and the 3rd time prema bann. and i hope the cs team posts on this saying it clear for others to get there heads around. and it is cases like this why i keep my chats turned off .

So you think it’s entirely justified for someone to lose their account for two months, perhaps three, for discussing a movie?

And then you suggest they PERMANENTLY lose their account? An account some have spent THOUSANDS of hours on, because they mentioned something that has absolutely literally nothing to do with Guild Wars 2? This is simply preposterous.

noice

ham.8209

So you think it’s entirely justified for someone to lose their account for two months, perhaps three, for discussing a movie?

And then you suggest they PERMANENTLY lose their account? An account some have spent THOUSANDS of hours on, because they mentioned something that has absolutely literally nothing to do with Guild Wars 2? This is simply preposterous.

yes i do and the reason why is clear as day its self you said it even your self . and i quote
that has absolutely literally nothing to do with Guild Wars 2 end quote . and this is not
preposterous. as you claim it to be . and case in point look at how the forums are run . very clear and cut and dried rules . and no room for misguided ideas or topic,s. it should be more clear then day or night it,s self .

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Thanks, Gaile.

If you’re now afraid of acting like a jerk, then this thread is working PERFECTLY.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Naru.4521

Naru.4521

Not a chance that CS would make spoilers bannable, then they would have to proly update their EULA and add a line “Writing about any kind of spoilers related to newly released books, movies, games, etc… is not allowed and will be inspected and punished if deemed as breaking EULA.”

Or something like that, what I think is really stupid, that movie was bad anyway if you are a fan of starwars. I personally never cared about spoilers, I like them and welcome them.

Everyone have their own opinion, so next time just block that person, or dont read what is he writing, instead of crying that you saw spoiler.

I doubt movie spoilers belong to excluded category of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech_by_country#United_States

Nike.2631

There’s no need to expand upon the EULA, its ALREADY COVERED under existing clauses.

(edited by Nike.2631)

Nike.2631

The point is, you can’t police to prevent spoilers.

Sez you.

Trolls are like Merlin’s Queen Mab. Turn around, don’t look at them, don’t let them have power over you, and they disappear.

That stops them one time, in one place. Severe punishment stops them repeatedly, and has the chance of training them not to do it ever again anywhere. There’s simply no need to coddle (or tolerate) this kind of behavior and people need to understand they’re NOT masked anonymous figures here, they have skin in the game and they risk it every time they behave like willful jerks.

Posted by: Magical Things.8465

Magical Things.8465

I was struggling with the decision to make a post regarding this. I decided to go ahead so people can understand how upsetting this action is from someone who was witness to these activities and how it affected me.

First off I’m not a young player. I am in my 40’s. I am an avid Star Wars fan. I have seen every movie since the franchise began usually on it’s opening or shortly thereafter. It was something I looked forward to, became a close family activity that endured over the years. With the announcement of Star Wars The Force Awakens, the excitement was rekindled all over again. I have eagerly been awaiting it’s release since the announcement. I was very careful to stay clear of any speculation regarding the movie and I wanted to be fully surprised with a clear head of nothing but the anticipation and excitement of another Star Wars movie.

Well things have changed from when Episode 3 premiered and now. Currently I am permanently disabled. As such there are special needs I have in order for me to actually be able to watch this movie. This limited the number of theaters and showtimes I could see. Only a certain number of auditoriums at my local theater are accessible by me. So this time the earliest available time I’m able to go is tomorrow 12/22. This was the earliest time due to my lack of mobility and disabilities which I have no control over. Remember I’m not looking for pity, I want you to understand.

So recently I was in Lion’s Arch doing my thing. I don’t typically have map chat turned off because I usually answer questions for some new players or even ask for help myself in map chat. That’s one great thing about the community is that there are still people who do want to help one another. Well all of a sudden an individual starts spamming in map chat spoilers for the movie and bragged how he saw it opening night and was ruining it for everyone just because he could as he stated. I didn’t want to cause any drama in map chat so I whispered this individual and pleaded to him to stop that I had not seen the movie, was very excited and would really appreciate it if he would not take that away from me. His reply was a key pivotal plot spoiler that pretty much gave me the outcome of the movie. Then he began calling me names so I did in fact block and report him for “verbal abuse”. But the damage was already done. All I had done to avoid any form of speculation or spoiler was ruined in an instant. For the sole purpose to grief people.

With that said I’m still looking forward to seeing the movie tomorrow because it’s another reason for my family to get together as we’ve done for many years regarding the Star Wars trilogy. But that doesn’t diminish what this person took away from me for no reason but to be a troll.

I have faith that CS will determine an adequate punishment for those doing this maliciously. I know the difference in openly discussing the movie and actually trolling in an attempt to cause players grief. The griefers are the players who should be punished. A ban may be too harsh. But a week long map chat ban I think would really teach people that trolling/griefing isn’t acceptable behavior.

My hope is that people will now have a better understanding of why this type of behavior is just plain wrong. Put yourself in another person’s shoes before you judge.

Thanks for listening! May the force be with you!

Posted by: Firelysm.8190

Firelysm.8190

Everyone’s opinion has value.

I simply believe that our rules against harassment encompass this sort of situation, where there’s no legitimate reason to shout spoilers in game and that the only motivation would seem to be a desire to cause distress to others. That would seems to make such activities reportable offenses that our CS agents will analyze and react to, as appropriate. (And let’s be clear, this was not a conversation, this was merely one person trying his/her best to spoil the movie for as many players a possible. Some sort of warped sense of power, perhaps? Who knows??)

As we have always said, players are welcome to report questionable chat or comments about which they have concerns. And as Elden Arnaas mentioned, each situation will be reviewed and acted upon, or not, after an analysis by the team.

As to timing, with theatres sold out for days and day, even those with a heavy devotion to the film series may simply not have been able to see it yet. What’s a good shelf date for “No spoilers, please?” (And remember, I’m talking only the very current spoiler, not the ending of Anna Karenina. ) I’m willing to ask CS, and I’d like to have opinions here. Maybe one week? Two weeks? What do you think?

Ok if any opinion has a value, i hope this post doesn’t get removed due to opinion.
NOTE: RESPECT PERSONAL OPINION
[OPINION]

• There are AFK people in sPvP unbanned for years.
  • There are hackers in WVW running around unbanned for years.
  • No one cared if people shouted spoilers for personal story HoT, and i had to deal with it on my own.
  • No one cared when people spoiled Game of Thrones, or Walking Dead, or Hobbit, but when SHART WARS gets spoilers, people are getting banned and reported?
  • There are people SPOILING OTHER kitten MOVIES AND NO ONE kittenING CARES
    [/OPINION]

There you go, my personal opinion, respect it.