spoiling star wars in map chat

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ham.8209

ham.8209

Man, calling a dev the n-word gets you a 2-week (source: best hotm troll Big Daddy Norn) and you guys want month or longer bans for spoiling this garbage kids movie.

lol

lol yes we do and more . if the company did not put these things into the game . they should not come into the game by other means . now if it was a company like say rock star or some other unnamed company . ahh then there would not be a thing at all about it not even a question at all . and sure would not make forums . if they have them for them. but this being gw2 well that in of it self is a whole different story and we got go by there rules set forth .

Posted by: Eight Samurai.6840

Eight Samurai.6840

There is a guildie of mine, whom by all accounts would have probably been banned from most other guilds from all the stuff she pulled. The other day starts shouting and spamming a supposed spoiler in my guild chat. I ended up blocking her and itching to kick her from the guild. I have IMAX tickets to see the movie in NYC this Christmas Eve, and if she did in fact spoil it she will be kicked (for the last time) the moment I get home. It will be nice because this movie is PROBABLY going to be amazing, and I won’t have to deal with her again

Posted by: Mikali.9651

Mikali.9651

It’s just so silly that people say it’s all ruined, they cry, they want someone perm banned, they QQ in forums cuz of a spoiler.
Really? Is this World really come to this?
We all care just about a “secret”, just about “one part”. Where is all that movies has to offer, is that all unimportant?

Frodo throw ring and beats Sauron! Oh noooo, you spoiled all!!! Now I will not watch movie and I will not read books! You are so mean, sooo mean, you should go in prison!! Or get banned in game! Unrelated to Lotr!

See how silly it is? Just cuz of one tiny part of whole that you can enjoy, you choose not to enjoy it at all!
If that’s the reason, then you are watching and doing things with wrong reasons! And all there is to be, is just that “secret”, just those “few seconds”, cuz everything else is ruined – you don’t even care about other things!

Seems like it’s more important to find out a “secret” then the actual story itself.
Pity.

Reporting someone doesn’t mean they want a permaban, stop being so hysterical. People want some sort of punitive action taken against spoilers, that’s all, what’s so hard to understand about that?

If you spoil a movie for a friend, do you honestly believe they won’t get annoyed? Now how do you think a total stranger would react in the same situation?

You kinda throw word “hysterical” without any reasons. I’m really calm, my emotions are controlled, just putting my opinions out there.

It’s hard not to see you as being hysterical when you exaggerate what’s going on here and actively try to get yourself banned by insulting Gaile over it.

will you now stop quoting me or I’ll have to ignore you? As I’ve said, I’m not into discussion about me and how I chose to act! You don’t know me, you know yourself and people around you, what you are seeing is the reflection of your own reality from which you get feelings and ideas about my reality and me – which is different.
Now, talk about the topic, I’m not the one important here

fyi you can not block ignore people on forums . only in the game can you block ignore people . :P

totally unimportant reply, why do you feel like you have to join conversation between him and me? I can ignore by choosing not to answer him unless it’s about the topic.
Like I’ll choose to do it with you

ham.8209

There is a guildie of mine, whom by all accounts would have probably been banned from most other guilds from all the stuff she pulled. The other day starts shouting and spamming a supposed spoiler in my guild chat. I ended up blocking her and itching to kick her from the guild. I have IMAX tickets to see the movie in NYC this Christmas Eve, and if she did in fact spoil it she will be kicked (for the last time) the moment I get home. It will be nice because this movie is PROBABLY going to be amazing, and I won’t have to deal with her again

congrats for doing the right thing and making the right calls . shame she can not see her mistakes for this. she will just have to learn the hard way lol . btw hope you enjoy the movie you want to see and hope it is good as you hope it to be

Posted by: Berry Pun Pup.6904

Berry Pun Pup.6904

It will be nice because this movie is PROBABLY going to be amazing, and I won’t have to deal with her again

Spoilers: it’s a star wars movie, it’s not going to be good.

ham.8209

It’s just so silly that people say it’s all ruined, they cry, they want someone perm banned, they QQ in forums cuz of a spoiler.
Really? Is this World really come to this?
We all care just about a “secret”, just about “one part”. Where is all that movies has to offer, is that all unimportant?

Frodo throw ring and beats Sauron! Oh noooo, you spoiled all!!! Now I will not watch movie and I will not read books! You are so mean, sooo mean, you should go in prison!! Or get banned in game! Unrelated to Lotr!

See how silly it is? Just cuz of one tiny part of whole that you can enjoy, you choose not to enjoy it at all!
If that’s the reason, then you are watching and doing things with wrong reasons! And all there is to be, is just that “secret”, just those “few seconds”, cuz everything else is ruined – you don’t even care about other things!

Seems like it’s more important to find out a “secret” then the actual story itself.
Pity.

Reporting someone doesn’t mean they want a permaban, stop being so hysterical. People want some sort of punitive action taken against spoilers, that’s all, what’s so hard to understand about that?

If you spoil a movie for a friend, do you honestly believe they won’t get annoyed? Now how do you think a total stranger would react in the same situation?

You kinda throw word “hysterical” without any reasons. I’m really calm, my emotions are controlled, just putting my opinions out there.

It’s hard not to see you as being hysterical when you exaggerate what’s going on here and actively try to get yourself banned by insulting Gaile over it.

will you now stop quoting me or I’ll have to ignore you? As I’ve said, I’m not into discussion about me and how I chose to act! You don’t know me, you know yourself and people around you, what you are seeing is the reflection of your own reality from which you get feelings and ideas about my reality and me – which is different.
Now, talk about the topic, I’m not the one important here

fyi you can not block ignore people on forums . only in the game can you block ignore people . :P

totally unimportant reply, why do you feel like you have to join conversation between him and me? I can ignore by choosing not to answering him unless it’s about the topic.
Like I’ll choose to do it with you

i been in this topic for a few pages now. long before you showed up even . ahh and that is ok i will just put you into the perma ban / box for life with the other trolls

Posted by: Chicho Gosho.6507

Chicho Gosho.6507

I dare anyone banned for this to respond here lol.

Posted by: Nash.2681

Nash.2681

I wish you all the best, but you will be your own grave (like me now )
Goodbye all!

Can I have your stuff?

What would you like? Say fast – I’m getting banned soon

Drama Queen! ¬.¬
Unless you’ve spoiled Star Wars, in which case Yea probably.

Not really Drama Queen, I actually did a thing very very offensive, against the rules, which is worth of perm ban. And I acted my own way, so I’m fine with that. I’ll not be anyone’s puppet, there is noone who gets special treatment, in my eyes – all are equal, cuz we all are humans.

But yea, you got that thing right, I didn’t spoil Star Wars – so maybe I don’t get perm banned. haha, funny right?

Honestly, you’re really overreacting as this isn’t something worth getting yourself banned over. Gaile is simply saying you can report abusive behavior, and ruining other people’s fun is abusive.

The bold part is pretty questionable. Following that logic, each and everyone would be on the brink to a ban. Don’t like someone skipping in dungeons? It’s not fun to you? Report them, so they get banned. Don’t like someone not skipping in dungeons? It’s not fun to you? Report them, so they get banned. Someone choses an armor style you don’t like to see? It’s not fun to you? Report them, so they get banned. And so on.

See, reporting people for actually trying to scam, for insulting others etc. is one thing, to demand a ban for spoiling a movie makes one sound like one of those grumpy elder people sitting at their window all day long, waiting for someone passing by showing just the tiniest glimps of missbehaving so they can call the cops.

P.S.: I’m a huge Star Wars Fan myself, I already submited free days at work in january and got my midnight premiere tickets as soon as pre-sales opened. Being aware of the possibility of spoilers by monday dec. 14th. (date of world premiere) I just added a lil more cautioness while browsing the web and consuming other media and guess what? No spoilers for me If I wasn’t such a big fan, I probably wasn’t that careful, but on the other hand, I wouldn’t have cared much about spoilers anyway /shrug

XMG U716 (i7 6700, 16GB DDR4@2133Mhz, GTX980m, Samsung 850Evo 250 GB, Seagate SSHD 500GB)

Leader of “Servants of Balance” [SoB], a small guild endemic to the FSP.

Posted by: I Deschain I.4623

I Deschain I.4623

Pathetic how this thread got even started and is still going on. Like your life is gonna take a dark turn after you hear a spoiler from the new Star Wars movie. Even so, if spoilers from the new Star Wars are okay to be reported, then all spoilers should be. What privileges the new Star Wars movie from other movies?
Sad how this community turned to be a bunch of easily offended whiners.

3rd player NA to reach Diamond Invader (WvW Rank 6445+) on 10/29/14.
Retired.

Berry Pun Pup.6904

New idea: make star wars itself bannable. Then there’s no worry about spoilers and the rest of us don’t have to hear about it.

#StarWarsSafeSpace

Eight Samurai.6840

congrats for doing the right thing and making the right calls . shame she can not see her mistakes for this. she will just have to learn the hard way lol . btw hope you enjoy the movie you want to see and hope it is good as you hope it to be

I know the movie will be great regardless of a spoiler. I think what she said would happen anyway because it was very predictable, and story wise, it makes sense (I won’t say more). Also, JJ Abrams is a Star Wars nerd and his Star Trek movies were closer to be SW than ST anyway haha. But yeah, as a more rational co-leader of mine said after talking to him about what she did, said that she only does what she does to get attention. To me this is going to be the last straw after 2 years of her in the guild.

Posted by: Zergs.9715

Zergs.9715

My Fee-fees are hurt!

Save me Anet!

Make me a safe space!

Posted by: Goldberg.4831

Goldberg.4831

re: Why on earth is this reportable? – The OP, Gaile, and most of the other posters in this merged thread are talking about people deliberately spamming spoilers in map chat. (for the purpose of griefing) Not someone who accidentally types in local or map chat instead of whisper or party chat.
Like Gaile said, CS will make individual judgements per report.

Because he is a douch, and I report on kittens. enough said. The context doesn’t matter, if someone is trolling just to be a jerk, report, take the crap somewhere else.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

I wish you all the best, but you will be your own grave (like me now )
Goodbye all!

Can I have your stuff?

What would you like? Say fast – I’m getting banned soon

Drama Queen! ¬.¬
Unless you’ve spoiled Star Wars, in which case Yea probably.

Not really Drama Queen, I actually did a thing very very offensive, against the rules, which is worth of perm ban. And I acted my own way, so I’m fine with that. I’ll not be anyone’s puppet, there is noone who gets special treatment, in my eyes – all are equal, cuz we all are humans.

But yea, you got that thing right, I didn’t spoil Star Wars – so maybe I don’t get perm banned. haha, funny right?

Honestly, you’re really overreacting as this isn’t something worth getting yourself banned over. Gaile is simply saying you can report abusive behavior, and ruining other people’s fun is abusive.

The bold part is pretty questionable. Following that logic, each and everyone would be on the brink to a ban. Don’t like someone skipping in dungeons? It’s not fun to you? Report them, so they get banned. Don’t like someone not skipping in dungeons? It’s not fun to you? Report them, so they get banned. Someone choses an armor style you don’t like to see? It’s not fun to you? Report them, so they get banned. And so on.

See, reporting people for actually trying to scam, for insulting others etc. is one thing, to demand a ban for spoiling a movie makes one sound like one of those grumpy elder people sitting at their window all day long, waiting for someone passing by showing just the tiniest glimps of missbehaving so they can call the cops.

P.S.: I’m a huge Star Wars Fan myself, I already submited free days at work in january and got my midnight premiere tickets as soon as pre-sales opened. Being aware of the possibility of spoilers by monday dec. 14th. (date of world premiere) I just added a lil more cautioness while browsing the web and consuming other media and guess what? No spoilers for me If I wasn’t such a big fan, I probably wasn’t that careful, but on the other hand, I wouldn’t have cared much about spoilers anyway /shrug

I understand what you’re saying, but I would argue the critical difference here is how much control you have over the situation.

Getting into a dungeon party that’s labeled as a speed run group and having your fun ruined because they don’t want to play your way is more like walking into a room with “WARNING: SPOILERS INSIDE” painted in bright neon colors on the door and complaining you got spoiled; you had the option of avoiding it, you didn’t take it, so you forfeited any right to complain.

Conversely having a movie you wanted to watch get spoiled in mapchat or unsolicited mail/whispers is more akin to going to a world boss and seeing a handful of players glitch it to cause it to fail (or guarantee a win); you don’t have the option to avoid this behavior because you didn’t know it was going to happen, but by that point it’s too late. It was forced upon you by people who either wanted it to inconvenience you or didn’t care if it did, that’s behavior that should be corrected – it can’t be prevented, but it shouldn’t be allowed to go unchecked.

Now people who defend spoilers would say you have all the control you need over the situation, you just need to gouge out your eyes and stab your ears because it’s too much to expect people to not be jerks, or that people are free to say whatever they want with absolutely no fear of consequences. Neither sounds reasonable to me.

(edited by Pandaman.4758)

ham.8209

Pathetic how this thread got even started and is still going on. Like your life is gonna take a dark turn after you hear a spoiler from the new Star Wars movie. Even so, if spoilers from the new Star Wars are okay to be reported, then all spoilers should be. What privileges the new Star Wars movie from other movies?

no it is the community doing the right thing for the right reasons . and yes the same should go for other things too . like i said already in other posts . this is not other company . it is Anet and they call the shots here and make the rules as they see fit . we in turn give them money for that said game to be given to us as they promised it to be and not with other things added into the game by other people like mods and so forth . and talking like that can get a ban as well from what the toss and form rules tells me

Goldberg.4831

no it is the community doing the right thing for the right reasons . and yes the same should go for other things too . like i said already in other posts . this is not other company . it is Anet and they call the shots here and make the rules as they see fit . we in turn give them money for that said game to be given to us as they promised it to be and not with other things added into the game by other people like mods and so forth . and talking like that can get a ban as well from what the toss and form rules tells me

Pathetic, is the fact that I have deal with kitten hats, ignore, reported, all is good until the next one comes along.

ham.8209

I know the movie will be great regardless of a spoiler. I think what she said would happen anyway because it was very predictable, and story wise, it makes sense (I won’t say more). Also, JJ Abrams is a Star Wars nerd and his Star Trek movies were closer to be SW than ST anyway haha. But yeah, as a more rational co-leader of mine said after talking to him about what she did, said that she only does what she does to get attention. To me this is going to be the last straw after 2 years of her in the guild.

omg wow now that is what you call being a very patient person . that long iam not sure i could make it :P. and the co leader also making the right calls here too . and i hope it is just good in any case. and it is what you hope it to be and more

Zergs.9715

Well it is an American game, after all. Being offended is like breathing to them.

So, pray tell, what country are you posting from that glorifies passivity in the face of sadism? Where is this great people that likes getting harassed?

So I can never go there.

Using such serious words like sadism and harrasment in such trivial context devalues them. What kind of a jelly-spined creature are you if you can equate this with sadism?
Your feelings are not measure for the rest of the world.

Posted by: KKaelyn.5904

KKaelyn.5904

If I report someone for what I deem is offensive or harassment is my choice. Areanet owns the game and ultimately they will have the final say. Will I always be happy with thier decsions, most likly not. However, if you feel like griefing others and are reported and deemed to actually have been griefing for whatever reason then you should be reasonably punished for said actions. Star Wars is not the issue here the issue here is deliberate and malicious actions by some towards others.

ham.8209

Pathetic, is the fact that I have deal with kitten hats, ignore, reported, all is good until the next one comes along.

fair enough and true on that one.. but they can get the same as the last one and jion them in the same spot as the last one too :P

Posted by: Soa Cirri.6012

Soa Cirri.6012

The context doesn’t matter

Oy, vey.

…This thread is becoming one of the most bizarre experiences of my entire life.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Using such serious words like sadism and harrasment in such trivial context devalues them. What kind of a jelly-spined creature are you if you can equate this with sadism?

Actually I find “trolling” to be the word the trivialize and tries to excuse the basic, fundamental fact that this is a person who derives pleasure from other people’s discomfort.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

ham.8209

The context doesn’t matter

Oy, vey.

…This thread is becoming one of the most bizarre experiences of my entire life.

:P the way this is now going almost makes me want to play gta with the home sound system on loud . just cause i can and for the fun of it all :P but i will not let that temptation get me . i will just play gw2 instead :P. but yet ahh i got the strong feeling that some one nameless is watching this thread . while holding a ban hammer in there hands for some. and maybe waiting for the next one to come out to light . sigh that said think it is time i go back to running off into the woods . and hide from that said person maybe :P

Posted by: Xehanort.7034

Xehanort.7034

so, leeme get this straight: instead of reporting and banning instance hijackers or genuine map griefers, you want people to report other people who spoil a MOVIE that’s not, in any way, shape or form related to GW2, to CS so you can ban them.

uh, really? are you really sure THAT’s what you should have CS be focusing on? Actually, There’s an idea! You guy’s didn’t ban ANYONE when they were trolling in map chat by spoiling HoT’s story. Why didn’t you ban them?

(edited by Xehanort.7034)

Berry Pun Pup.6904

Oh and before anyone else tries, I am already the owner of character: “Star Wars Spoilers.” Sorry for the inconvenience to anyone else who wants this highly desirable character name.

I Deschain I.4623

If this gets banned or my post gets deleted, wouldn’t that just prove my point given in the last sentence?

If I understand you correctly you agree with me that if you ban people for spoiling the new Star Wars film, people posting spoilers to other movies/tv-shows/games/whatever should be banned too.
But what if find a topic that me and other people don’t like to be talked about in map chat? What if I feel offended when people talk about how great Star Wars is? What if that is ruining my day because I can’t have a normal discussion in map chat because everyone talks about Star Wars? Someone spoiled today the Miss Universe show to me. That’s a global event. Should I have reported that person?
The answer is the same as when do spoilers are ‘okay’ like Gaile mentioned in her post like Rosebud? Do I have to wait so and so years before I am allowed to ‘spoil’ the movie? How does it change? Because it’s older? So can I spoil the initial Guild Wars 2 campaign to someone new because it is already old?
Again, the answer is strictly with ANet, and with Gaile’s posts their ruling is more than debatable. But oh my, is it even allowed to question those posts? Better just follow without questioning anything.

Retired.

(edited by I Deschain I.4623)

ham.8209

so, leeme get this straight: instead of reporting and banning instance hijackers or genuine map griefers, you want people to report other people who spoil a MOVIE that’s not, in any way, shape or form related to GW2, to CS so you can ban them.

uh, really?

it is clear you missed Ms.Greys post on this matter and yes yup really we do want them banned for things like this . as it is something put into the game by people and not the game makers it,s self

I Deschain I.4623

Seeing how the forum software has to censor certain words in your posts, I’d be motivated too to spoil something if you express yourself like that ingame too.

Did you know that Rosebud was his sled? It was.

Retired.

Zergs.9715

Actually I find “trolling” to be the word the trivialize and tries to excuse the basic, fundamental fact that this is a person who derives pleasure from other people’s discomfort.

Would that categorize pranks as well as form of sadism? Since it’s so black and white issue I can almost see no difference between deriving pleasure from torturing people and throwing a water filled balloon…

ham.8209

If this gets be banned or my post gets deleted, wouldn’t that just prove my point given in the last sentence?

If I understand you correctly that you agree with me that if you ban me people for spoiling the new Star Wars film, people posting spoilers to other movies/tv-shows/games/whatever should be banned too.
But what if find a topic that me and other people don’t like to be talked about in map chat? What if I feel offended when people talk about how great Star Wars is? What if that is ruining my day because I can’t have a normal discussion in map chat because everyone talks about Star Wars? Someone spoiled today the Miss Universe show to me. That’s a global event. Should I have reported that person?
The answer is the same as when do spoilers are ‘okay’ like Gaile mentioned in her post like Rosebud? Do I have to wait so and so years before I am allowed to ‘spoil’ the movie? How does it change? Because it’s older? So can I spoil the initial Guild Wars 2 campaign to someone new because it is already old?
Again, the answer is strictly with ANet, and with Gaile’s posts there ruling is more than debatable. But oh my, is it even allowed to question those posts? Better just follow without questioning everything.

short and long of it if you do not ask a question then how do you know it is or it is not ok to do it in the game. that is called reading the rules . of the game and looking for updates to said rules . as the game makers see fit . but personally i think it is best to leave some things out of the game and not bring them into said game for any reason thus i do not have to worry at all about rule books or changes to said rule book,s :P

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

re: instead of reporting and banning instance hijackers or genuine map griefers, you want people to report other people who spoil a MOVIE – What gives you the impression that Anet only wants Start Wars griefing reported.? This is merely a clarification of rules that already exist. Griefing is and always has been punishable. Anet wants players to report any form of griefing, not just Star Wars griefing. Why would you think otherwise?

Posted by: Xdmatt.3958

Xdmatt.3958

Look at it this way: if someone spoils Star Wars for you, you can save your money and not watch another installment of series known as “Tripe by J J Abrams: Crapping on Classics, Making Money and Lovin’ It!”

How am I gonna be an optimist about this?

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

If I report someone for what I deem is offensive or harassment is my choice. Areanet owns the game and ultimately they will have the final say. Will I always be happy with thier decsions, most likly not. However, if you feel like griefing others and are reported and deemed to actually have been griefing for whatever reason then you should be reasonably punished for said actions. Star Wars is not the issue here the issue here is deliberate and malicious actions by some towards others.

Hear, here!

Honestly this type of thread has come up each year around April as well. Why? Game of Thrones spoilers! Oh, but those ones are far worse because you have the “I’m better than you, I’ve read the books” people who purpose said who would die off in the season before the season even started! GAH!

RoC (agreed upon by EVERY person before they’re even able to create a character for GW2): https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-rules-of-conduct/

• You may not create character names or otherwise transmit, post, link to or facilitate the distribution of any sexually explicit, harmful, threatening, abusive, defamatory, infringing, obscene, hateful, vulgar, racially or ethnically offensive, invasive of personal privacy or publicity rights, or objectionable in a reasonable person’s view imagery or content.

That last part is the most important. Reasonable people view someone sitting in a map chat shouting spoilers for a movie that just came in theaters on Friday, not all the world’s population has seen, and was locked out to large parts of the population due to ticket/seating limits, as nothing more than rude trolling. Ruining a good time for everyone else.

Forget, for a moment, the 5-10 people in the map that do not care or have already seen the movie. What about the other 90-190 that DO care and/or haven’t seen it? And even flipping those numbers to assume only 5-10 haven’t seen it while the other 90-190 have, it doesn’t matter. The fact of the matter is that purposely trying to ruin something in-game for someone else is against the game’s Rules of Conduct is punishable as such under the execution of a Customer Service/GM decision.

Posted by: Xehanort.7034

Xehanort.7034

re: instead of reporting and banning instance hijackers or genuine map griefers, you want people to report other people who spoil a MOVIE – What gives you the impression that Anet only wants Start Wars griefing reported.? This is merely a clarification of rules that already exist. Griefing is and always has been punishable. Anet wants players to report any form of griefing, not just Star Wars griefing. Why would you think otherwise?

because plenty of people ran around and spoiled HoT’s story. They didn’t get banned. I personally know a few people who actively did it, and they’re still playing to this day. If anet isn’t going to ban people spoiling THEIR OWN GAME, why would they ban people spoiling some movie?

Eight Samurai.6840

uh, really? are you really sure THAT’s what you should have CS be focusing on?

The point is that an individual is purposely doing something that may make a GW2 player NOT want to log on and play the game. Not to mention that these people thrive on other’s dissatisfaction. And just because you report someone for leaking spoilers doesn’t mean you can’t report other people too. Not sure where you are going with this.

Also, just to note that whether you agree or not, this new Star Wars movie is going to be a ground breaking movie for old and new fans. The internet literally broke back in October when they announced prepurchase tickets. It beat Hunger Games, who had the previous record for most prepurchased tickets, 8 times over with just the tickets sold for IMAX alone. It will be the first movie to break a billion dollars in the box office.

Posted by: TheFrighteningFrenchFry.3275

TheFrighteningFrenchFry.3275

Seeing how the forum software has to censor certain words in your posts.

Thanks, just another guy to go on my report list for a hopeful ban on the forums. Will probably get to reporting it sometime tomorrow because I got a couple of thousand other users to check out and report in addition to pushing the devs to ban the dungeon/fractal community. Another loss for the hackers, exploiters, and CoC breakers : )

Necro>warrior confirmed ty nemesis for single handedly saving the gw2 community!!

/s

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

and now some have taken to sending in game e-mails with spoilers.
Just ban all the the people who are spam spoiling until wintersday activities are over with an additional 2 weeks on top.

Posted by: Misfit.5962

Misfit.5962

6 pages and I can’t even justify this thread with more popcorn.

/meh

*runs off to see who’s panties are in a bunch over Trump’s latest drivel

I Deschain I.4623

That last part is the most important. Reasonable people view someone sitting in a map chat shouting spoilers for a movie that just came in theaters on Friday, not all the world’s population has seen, and was locked out to large parts of the population due to ticket/seating limits, as nothing more than rude trolling. Ruining a good time for everyone else.

Forget, for a moment, the 5-10 people in the map that do not care or have already seen the movie. What about the other 90-190 that DO care and/or haven’t seen it? And even flipping those numbers to assume only 5-10 haven’t seen it while the other 90-190 have, it doesn’t matter. The fact of the matter is that purposely trying to ruin something in-game for someone else is against the game’s Rules of Conduct is punishable as such under the execution of a Customer Service/GM decision.

By your argument, why is this ruling only brought to the new Star Wars movie but not Citizen Kane etc. as mentioned in Gaile’s post on page 3? What about those 5-10 people who haven’t seen it? How does it ruin something in-game less than the new Star Wars movie spoilers? I’m not asking you directly, I’m just trying to understand Gaile’s posts from page 3.

Retired.

Berry Pun Pup.6904

The only fair thing to do is ban everyone who posted in this thread and me twice as long for posting so many times. Then ban everyone who cares about Star Wars either enough to care about spoilers or enough to know the spoilers in the first place. Then work on actually balancing pvp (the least likely thing to be followed through on).

Posted by: Kross.6428

Kross.6428

Gaile is simply saying you can report abusive behavior, and ruining other people’s fun is abusive.

But where do we draw the line then? That’s the problem with this supposed policy. It cannot be enforced at this moment because there are no rules against it. Sure, people can quote the User Agreement, but what sort of “laws” are going to be written down? Gaile has responded, so this issue is now something that ANet has to spend time and resources looking into.

But here’s the thing that bothers me so much… why is this issue getting more attention than worse problems in the game?

In Orr, players are constantly begging for temple events to fail (because it is required for certain achievements), yet other players will complete the event despite their pleas in map chat. Their progress has just been barred by another player, yet this is not a report-able offense. Perhaps just poor game design… Regardless, is this abusive? Is this ban-able? Someone just had their fun ruined, so why not?

When running dungeons, players will discriminate, ridicule and kick others for not having the preferred gear. Or in even worse cases, people leading the dungeons have been kicked by other members of their group at the very end, so that their friends could finish the dungeon with them and reap the rewards. From my observations, players guilty of the latter issue do not get banned, despite the blatant grief it causes towards others. Is this abusive? Is this ban-able? Someone just had their fun ruined, so why not?

During the horrendous WvW Golem Rush event, players were purposely exploiting the bugs to one-shot-kill other players. This was clearly an exploit of the game, and legitimate players had to suffer the consequences. They were either forced to deal with it, or take a break until the event was over. Nothing was done on the devs side to solve this issue. It was swept under the rug after the event concluded. Was this abusive? Was this ban-able? Someone just had their fun ruined, so why not?

This game promotes so much “fun ruining” by design and yet these are not ban-able offenses despite the numerous complaints over the years. The inaction and silence of the devs seems to suggest that this sort of behavior is acceptable. Why is example one not considered griefing? Why does example two go unpunished despite how common it is? Why did example three not get any attention from the devs, despite causing problems for a sizable portion of the playerbase?

So again, my question is: Why does this topic get special snowflake status when there are far worse issues for the devs to be looking into within their very own game?

(Note: This isn’t an attack towards you Pandaman. Merely what you said got me thinking about how we define the boundaries between other people’s fun, and why spoiling movies is getting more attention from the devs than other rampant in-game problems that are a result of their own design.)

Stormbluff Isle – Baka Royale [Baka]

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

So again, my question is: Why does this topic get special snowflake status when there are far worse issues for the devs to be looking into within their very own game?

I don’t see how “yes, go ahead and report it, so Support can review it” is special snowflake status.

ANet has made no promises of action, only that they’d like to be informed so they can review it when people are point blank, no excuses trying to use the chat system to harass people.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Bigsexy.8302

Bigsexy.8302

This is ridiculous. If Anet starts banning people for this I’m out.

Spoilers for movies is not against the EULA/ToS.

If you can’t handle the internet, unplug your network cable.

Bunch of crybabies with first-world problems.

Posted by: Soa Cirri.6012

Soa Cirri.6012

Gaile is simply saying you can report abusive behavior, and ruining other people’s fun is abusive.

But where do we draw the line then? That’s the problem with this supposed policy. It cannot be enforced at this moment because there are no rules against it. Sure, people can quote the User Agreement, but what sort of “laws” are going to be written down? Gaile has responded, so this issue is now something that ANet has to spend time and resources looking into.

But here’s the thing that bothers me so much… why is this issue getting more attention than worse problems in the game?

In Orr, players are constantly begging for temple events to fail (because it is required for certain achievements), yet other players will complete the event despite their pleas in map chat. Their progress has just been barred by another player, yet this is not a report-able offense. Perhaps just poor game design… Regardless, is this abusive? Is this ban-able? Someone just had their fun ruined, so why not?

When running dungeons, players will discriminate, ridicule and kick others for not having the preferred gear. Or in even worse cases, people leading the dungeons have been kicked by other members of their group at the very end, so that their friends could finish the dungeon with them and reap the rewards. From my observations, players guilty of the latter issue do not get banned, despite the blatant grief it causes towards others. Is this abusive? Is this ban-able? Someone just had their fun ruined, so why not?

During the horrendous WvW Golem Rush event, players were purposely exploiting the bugs to one-shot-kill other players. This was clearly an exploit of the game, and legitimate players had to suffer the consequences. They were either forced to deal with it, or take a break until the event was over. Nothing was done on the devs side to solve this issue. It was swept under the rug after the event concluded. Was this abusive? Was this ban-able? Someone just had their fun ruined, so why not?

This game promotes so much “fun ruining” by design and yet these are not ban-able offenses despite the numerous complaints over the years. The inaction and silence of the devs seems to suggest that this sort of behavior is acceptable. Why is example one not considered griefing? Why does example two go unpunished despite how common it is? Why did example three not get any attention from the devs, despite causing problems for a sizable portion of the playerbase?

(Note: This isn’t an attack towards you Pandaman. Merely what you said got me thinking about how we define the boundaries between other people’s fun, and why spoiling movies is getting more attention from the devs than other rampant in-game problems that are a result of their own design.)

/Thread

I Deschain I.4623

[…]

This guy nailed it.

By responding ANet showed (again) questionable handling of situations and attention of problems way less ground-breaking than several others.

Retired.

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

Trolling is trolling- it doesn’t matter what the subject of the trolling is.

If somebody is discussing anything with the intention of upsetting or annoying people, it should be looked at by the moderation team/CS.

Trolls are using Star Wars spoilers as the subject matter as it can quite easily upset a large number of people in one go.

Usually “en-masse” trolls use distasteful or controversial topics to get attention or upset (e.g. racism/sexism/homophobia). I guess this is different because the subject matter would usually be allowed, but the intention behind it that causes problems.

This means that CS will likely be very choosy about who to punish for such things. There has to be very clear evidence that the “trolls” are indeed spoiling for kicks rather than discussing. For example, somebody spamming spoilers in map chat, changing to other popular maps and repeating is more likely to get an infraction than somebody mentioning a spoiler when discussing the topic jovially.

Tl;dr: It’s about the intent, not the content. It doesn’t matter if it’s spoilers or an inflammatory joke. The results can be the same.

Goldberg.4831

Seeing how the forum software has to censor certain words in your posts, I’d be motivated too to spoil something if you express yourself like that ingame too.

Did you know that Rosebud was his sled? It was.

Another kitten hat for the ignore list.

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

Iirc, trolls live off of attention, unfortunately I see only way is to block every single one of them as you discover them…

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

ham.8209

uh, really? are you really sure THAT’s what you should have CS be focusing on?

The point is that an individual is purposely doing something that may make a GW2 player NOT want to log on and play the game. Not to mention that these people thrive on other’s dissatisfaction. And just because you report someone for leaking spoilers doesn’t mean you can’t report other people too. Not sure where you are going with this.

Also, just to note that whether you agree or not, this new Star Wars movie is going to be a ground breaking movie for old and new fans. The internet literally broke back in October when they announced prepurchase tickets. It beat Hunger Games, who had the previous record for most prepurchased tickets, 8 times over with just the tickets sold for IMAX alone. It will be the first movie to break a billion dollars in the box office.

pulls out ax and says in a cruel soft voice hold it right there MISTER !!! and do not move !! you mean to tell me there is something called hunger games ?? !!!! how DARE YOU !!!!!!!! other hand takes out big bag tossing over your head . and kicking you into the bushes for safe keeping . grabs a wine bottle and thinks now how there easy life is now so runnind to only find out there is something called hunger games drinks wine while sobbing my life is now a total mess thanks to you !!!

Eight Samurai.6840

@Kross Okay well just because you say that this is “getting more attention” than other things doesn’t make it true. Anet has always dealt with exploiters, spammers, etc., as best they could, and over the years changed or updated their stances on things. Gaile is not part of the CS team and was just stating her opinion. I happen to agree with her stance that a person not engaging in conversation with anyone and uses a map chat maliciously is violating the rules. CS may see things in opposite completely from her, it’s their decision.

Edit: I’m baed at doing the quoting thing. I’m baed and I should feel baed.

(edited by Eight Samurai.6840)