spoiling star wars in map chat

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tyyphoon.5301

Tyyphoon.5301

There have been far worse offenses in this game in form of grieving that I can remember in my 3 years playing GW2 than this politically correct BS. Que sera, sera.

Tyyphóón (Lv 80 Thief) | Mini Tyy (Lv 80 Ele) [Maguuma]
Mag is the No.1 killer of WvW. -Exciton.8942
What does not kill me, makes me stronger. -Nietzsche

Tyyphoon.5301

GW2 turning into an SJW safespace…. what a disgrace.

I concur. See what I did there? =P

Posted by: ham.8209

ham.8209

now giving how this topic is now being covered as well over on Redit forums . and yet in both places there is NO ANET replying at ALL NOT even COLIN him self has said word one about this. while it is all telling in of it,s self. but yet makes one wounder if and when they do speak out on this . and could happen of what is to come . and how many get banned for this all together . will be telling in its own self all together sigh but yet no word on both forums at all from Anet by NOW hummm. other then page 3 they must be talking about it too by now or at lest seen it . and thinking about it . in any case . i hope anet makes this topic matter all the way around clear for us all to get the concepts of there thoughts on said matter . mean while the threads keep running full blast . while in game i report and block said people who break rules of said topic for greafing me with whispers even tho all chats are set to off .

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

If you think about it Star Wars is irrelevant to this discussion.

Not quite. It was mentioned in the thread that people went on to spoil HoT after the release without getting any form of punishment. Gaile mentioned that she wasn’t talking about spoilers like Rosebud (which is actually spoiled in the Hints: section right above when you are posting).
Where is the line when you are allowed to post spoilers and when not? That is, at least to me, very unclear.

It seemed pretty clear to me based on Gailes post. Old spoilers for things people are highly likely to have already read/watched/played etc. should they want to are not a problem. E.g. the plot to a 20 year old movie or 10 year old game.

Things which are brand new, like the plot to the new Star Wars or Heart of Thorns which you can reasonably expect many people will not have had the opportunity to experience for themselves yet should not be posted all over the forum.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: KKaelyn.5904

KKaelyn.5904

What most are either totally missing or willfully ignoring here that are defending the actions is intent plain and simple. If the action can clearly be seen to be deliberate griefing no matter the subject at hand it should recieve attention from cs. From there it is thier decsion as to what they deem acceptable.

Posted by: Eight Samurai.6840

Eight Samurai.6840

Would that categorize pranks as well as form of sadism?

I would say that pranks motivated by a desire to be hurtful are absolutely a form of sadism. The same principle is at work here — Support will almost certainly be reviewing incidents to determine INTENT.

There’s an element of naked callousness at work. This isn’t an interaction with a person you know which opens up the possibility of good natured poking between friends — this is being sprung on complete strangers with no other goal than to be hurtful.

Since it’s so black and white issue I can almost see no difference between deriving pleasure from torturing people and throwing a water filled balloon…

Then I hope you develop the social skills to tell the difference. You’ll probably need them at some point. Because in the real world there are places where pitching a water balloon with be considered fun and others where it’ll get you fired (or worse). Likely with even less opportunity for appeal than here.

Fired? That’s… awfully specific. But y’know what you’re absolutely right! I’m converted! Next time my feelings get hurt in game I know exactly what to do! Mash dat report button till it’s white hot! For everything and anything! Throw a tantrum on forums as well because who else can judge the level of offense I’ve taken better than myself?

Thanks Anet for keeping me safe!

Actually, it’s an offense to abuse the reporting system. I would recommend not to mash dat button till it’s white hot, but the choice is yours to make.

Posted by: Zergs.9715

Zergs.9715

Would that categorize pranks as well as form of sadism?

I would say that pranks motivated by a desire to be hurtful are absolutely a form of sadism. The same principle is at work here — Support will almost certainly be reviewing incidents to determine INTENT.

There’s an element of naked callousness at work. This isn’t an interaction with a person you know which opens up the possibility of good natured poking between friends — this is being sprung on complete strangers with no other goal than to be hurtful.

Since it’s so black and white issue I can almost see no difference between deriving pleasure from torturing people and throwing a water filled balloon…

Then I hope you develop the social skills to tell the difference. You’ll probably need them at some point. Because in the real world there are places where pitching a water balloon with be considered fun and others where it’ll get you fired (or worse). Likely with even less opportunity for appeal than here.

Fired? That’s… awfully specific. But y’know what you’re absolutely right! I’m converted! Next time my feelings get hurt in game I know exactly what to do! Mash dat report button till it’s white hot! For everything and anything! Throw a tantrum on forums as well because who else can judge the level of offense I’ve taken better than myself?

Thanks Anet for keeping me safe!

Actually, it’s an offense to abuse the reporting system. I would recommend not to mash dat button till it’s white hot, but the choice is yours to make.

Do you even sarcasm bro?

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Keep in mind that Gaile is not a dev and is not tapped into the dev hive mind. She posted her own opinion that deliberate spoiler spam is reportable but that CS would make the determination on the merits of each report. We do not yet have an official stance. Nor may we ever, as there cannot be a blanket boilerplate rule for this.

But if you do something with the intent of annoying or bothering other people, especially if it is something you wouldn’t do except for knowing it will make someone less happy in their day, then you are on shaky ground complaining that reporting you is an overreaction.

Generic “you,” not aimed at any poster in this thread.

Posted by: Rio.4259

Rio.4259

now giving how this topic is now being covered as well over on Redit forums . and yet in both places there is NO ANET replying at ALL NOT even COLIN him self has said word one about this.

About that part, I’m pretty sure most of the Anet staff are away/home for the holidays right now. "As the ArenaNet staff takes time to enjoy the holidays and spend time with loved ones, we’d like to wish you and yours a happy holiday season as well. "

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

So who has seen it? I might as well take this opportunity to try and ask someone their opinion on something in the final scenes. It actually is GW2 related as well. Asking via PM since I’m careful with my spoilers.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: RedBaron.6058

RedBaron.6058

Please BLOCK the spoilers and close this thread.

This thread is too embarrassing for the complainers and ANet itself.

“Blackadder: If you want something done properly, kill Baldrick before you start.”

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

People tried to do with with some new games too. Guess it’s some kind of new huge erotic rush people get when spoiling something. IDK.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Tyyphoon.5301

^This. Finally a smart man with a plan. Need more of those these days.

Posted by: Berry Pun Pup.6904

Berry Pun Pup.6904

Have you considered banning everyone who posted ITT as well? Cause I think that’s a grand idea.

ham.8209

now giving how this topic is now being covered as well over on Redit forums . and yet in both places there is NO ANET replying at ALL NOT even COLIN him self has said word one about this.

About that part, I’m pretty sure most of the Anet staff are away/home for the holidays right now. "As the ArenaNet staff takes time to enjoy the holidays and spend time with loved ones, we’d like to wish you and yours a happy holiday season as well. "

idk i seen a drev posting just a little bit ago in the pvp forums . and i thank you for the wishes . and the same back to you too as well even tho there is work and so forth still going on . ahh lets say we are still enjoying this time of the year fully. and hope you do the same . cheer.s

Posted by: Daddar.5971

Daddar.5971

I only wish that A-Net took action against all the forms of trolling that go way beyond shouting spoilers in map chat. Seriously, while spoiling the movie is very obnoxious, I see worse behavior pretty often. Yes, I’ve reported things occasionally, and no, A-net has not and will not do anything about most of it.

‘Elite’ in all 9 professions. I take mediocrity seriously!

ham.8209

they have not locked this topic yet over on the REDIT forums . pretty sure they will not

lock this topic here too . if they was going to lock this topic it would have already

happened by now and Anet would we hope have made this topic very clear cut on there take on this in both forums . there is plenty of reason lets say for this topic to be

LOCKED but yet its not so it just keeps going on till other wise.

and with no room for other questions to be dragged in to this topic sigh .

Posted by: I Deschain I.4623

I Deschain I.4623

Not quite. It was mentioned in the thread that people went on to spoil HoT after the release without getting any form of punishment. Gaile mentioned that she wasn’t talking about spoilers like Rosebud (which is actually spoiled in the Hints: section right above when you are posting).
Where is the line when you are allowed to post spoilers and when not? That is, at least to me, very unclear.

It seemed pretty clear to me based on Gailes post. Old spoilers for things people are highly likely to have already read/watched/played etc. should they want to are not a problem. E.g. the plot to a 20 year old movie or 10 year old game.

Things which are brand new, like the plot to the new Star Wars or Heart of Thorns which you can reasonably expect many people will not have had the opportunity to experience for themselves yet should not be posted all over the forum.

But where is the line? When am I allowed to talk about spoilerish things without having to fear to cause an outrage. I saw Predestination early 2015. Am I allowed to ‘spoiler’ it or is it sill too early? For me, it’s still not clear when things are clear.

3rd player NA to reach Diamond Invader (WvW Rank 6445+) on 10/29/14.
Retired.

Posted by: Solstace.2514

Solstace.2514

Honestly, how hard is it to be civil? They shouldn’t have to make a rule that you don’t post spoilers. People should just have enough sense and be courteous enough not to do that kind of stuff.

As for official policy, Anet can do whatever they want. It’s a private game and site, so they can have whatever rules of decorum they want. Your civil rights are not being oppressed if you cant be an kitten and post spoilers on a private game’s board or map chat.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Keep in mind that Gaile is not a dev and is not tapped into the dev hive mind. She posted her own opinion that deliberate spoiler spam is reportable but that CS would make the determination on the merits of each report. We do not yet have an official stance. Nor may we ever, as there cannot be a blanket boilerplate rule for this.

Gaile is one of the Communication Team Leads. Meaning her job is to lead on Anet’s official communications. I’d say that actually makes her more of an authority on what their policy is than the Developers, whose job is to make stuff for the game, not to set the rules.

Think about it like any other company – would you refuse to accept the marketing directors statement on a car company’s fuel use targets until you’ve heard from the guy who designed the seats? Or would it be the guy who oversaw production of the headlights?

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

But where is the line? When am I allowed to talk about spoilerish things without having to fear to cause an outrage. I saw Predestination early 2015. Am I allowed to ‘spoiler’ it or is it sill too early? For me, it’s still not clear when things are clear.

Support rarely ever draws a clear line because they’d have various breeds of jerk inching up as close as they can get to the line still being obnoxious (the actual problem) while being able to hide behind the letter of the law.

The rule is simply if you’re unsure, don’t do it at all. And they want you to be unsure so you’re more likely to err on the side of caution.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

KKaelyn.5904

A good example is this – Wintersday? More like Wintermisery. Now the subject matter in this forum post is about the op’s unhappyness with the wintersday festival. Many post later one of the other posters adds a P.S. —-———- (stars wars spoiler) at the bottom of his post. Not one single part of that forum conversation was even closly related to anything to do with star wars or movies. So his intent was fairly plain. If you have not yet run across a spoiler yet and want to see the movie without any do not read that forum posting just a heads up.

ham.8209

all well and fully good questions there and worth the asking. but lets say in some of these cases with this company i find it is better to grab a few cases of good wine and some crackers and cheese and head for the woods and bushes . and send others out till they come back with the right answers or they do not come back at all . mean while at lest the crackers and cheese and wine is good and filling while trapping wild life and other interesting things in the woods :P

Solstace.2514

A good example is this – Wintersday? More like Wintermisery. Now the subject matter in this forum post is about the op’s unhappyness with the wintersday festival. Many post later one of the other posters adds a P.S. —-———- (stars wars spoiler) at the bottom of his post. Not one single part of that forum conversation was even closly related to anything to do with star wars or movies. So his intent was fairly plain. If you have not yet run across a spoiler yet and want to see the movie without any do not read that forum posting just a heads up.

Yeah, I saw that, too. Thanks for giving the heads up to other people. That guy was just being a malicious jerk. I guess some people feel the need to act like that because they feel inadequate at other things.

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

You can’t turn this into a black and white issue. Maybe it’s because this is a gaming community and the community largely thinks in “black and white.” Simply put you take this on a case by case basis.

In the Star Wars case, if anyone is advertising spoilers on the LFG tool, spamming map chat, or sending random in game mails with spoilers then there should be some action taken.

There is no way to implement an all encompassing “rule.” The ToS has vauge parts in it on purpose just for issues like this. You have to use some common sense and discretion. The “line” or expectation for this changes depending on the situation and a lot of people who are used to set expectations struggle with this. That’s okay but hopefully Anet doesn’t.

Posted by: Darkness.9732

Darkness.9732

This is a non sense.
If i can freely express my opinion, may someone please explain to me why in the ranger forum tons of people have been complaining for 3 years while not receving any answer on the issues regarding their class….and in the meantime this post regarding spoilers of something not related to the game, gets so much attention by developpers and people?^

P.s : Banning someone for spoilers , has no sense. How many people have made spoilers of gw2 Ingame personal Story?^ Did they get banned? No. So you shouldn’ t ban that guy who made spoilers of Star Wars

Solstace.2514

Just use common sense. Obviously, talking about a movie during its first week of release is spoiling. I’m sure once a movie is out of the theatres, most people wont care if you discuss it.
But I also don’t understand the incredible and insatiable need to discuss movies in general map chat. Star wars has it own forums with spoiler tags. If people want to chat about it, they have far more knowledgeable people there.

KKaelyn.5904

Sorry forgot to note I put the words star wars spoiler there to make it more understandable, the poster gave no such warning.

Posted by: Cronos.6532

Cronos.6532

I know I can’t get banned for posting Tybalt/Sieran/Forgal or Wynne in map chat, but can I get banned for Eir/Faolain/Trahearne?

now if you can get banned for them and you can not get banned for apes . that is too funny

apes?

Ethereal Guardians [EG]
etherealguardians.com

Posted by: Magical Things.8465

Magical Things.8465

I think at this point the discussion has gotten way off topic and the responses are now ranging from childish meme’s to threats of quitting the game over this.

Gaile might I suggest it be closed and let CS decide their stance/action on this issue and just let it be done. I don’t think your going to garner any additional constructive discussion on the matter.

Posted by: I Deschain I.4623

I Deschain I.4623

Just use common sense. Obviously, talking about a movie during its first week of release is spoiling. I’m sure once a movie is out of the theatres, most people wont care if you discuss it.
But I also don’t understand the incredible and insatiable need to discuss movies in general map chat. Star wars has it own forums with spoiler tags. If people want to chat about it, they have far more knowledgeable people there.

Okay, your and Nike.2631’s post do it make a little bit more clear to me. Seems like it all comes down to if you are that person or not. However, why Star Wars spoiler are now being punishment whereas HoT spoiler (and GoT spoiler? – reading the thread, this was an issue in the past already, but seems no clear statement was made?) weren’t then (they weren’t, right? – as this still seems a discussed topic on how to handle it), in fact all other movies/books/whatever weren’t (or is anyone quietly reporting?), still doesn’t sound right to me.

3rd player NA to reach Diamond Invader (WvW Rank 6445+) on 10/29/14.
Retired.

Berry Pun Pup.6904

I think at this point the discussion has gotten way off topic and the responses are now ranging from childish meme’s to threats of quitting the game over this.

Gaile might I suggest it be closed and let CS decide their stance/action on this issue and just let it be done. I don’t think your going to garner any additional constructive discussion on the matter.

This topic has been a joke since the start and never deserved constructive responses. It should be locked and forgotten. Anet will have their usual response to reports for things that actually deserve attention (doing nothing) and apply it to this.

Posted by: Cronos.6532

Cronos.6532

actual opinion on this though, shouldn’t be bannable. poll it or something

Ethereal Guardians [EG]
etherealguardians.com

ham.8209

This topic has been a joke since the start and never deserved constructive responses. It should be locked and forgotten. Anet will have their usual response to reports for things that actually deserve attention (doing nothing) and apply it to this.

looky here then tell me for the life of me PLEASE tell me why this is has not been done yet

YES i want to know that answer !!!!!!!!!!! and i also want the answer as to why they have not said word on this topic at all and it,s not locked . ask me i think there is something
in the water today going around or maybe the lack of the water going around. in any case yes this should been locked long again like by page 3 . and i think it is clear by now they will not give us a answer on this at all!!! and if they do i will be shocked i just might give you a full bottle of good wine . !!!!

ham.8209

I know I can’t get banned for posting Tybalt/Sieran/Forgal or Wynne in map chat, but can I get banned for Eir/Faolain/Trahearne?

now if you can get banned for them and you can not get banned for apes . that is too funny

apes?

yes that is what i said but then could even be money too . and i think that will not even give you a problem with it too :P

Berry Pun Pup.6904

looky here then tell me for the life of me PLEASE tell me why this is has not been done yet

YES i want to know that answer !!!!!!!!!!! and i also want the answer as to why they have not said word on this topic at all and it,s not locked . ask me i think there is something
in the water today going around or maybe the lack of the water going around. in any case yes this should been locked long again like by page 3 . and i think it is clear by now they will not give us a answer on this at all!!! and if they do i will be shocked i just might give you a full bottle of good wine . !!!!

My posting was too good for them to lock the thread yet, obviously.

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

People are seriously being banned over discussing some, at best, average movie that’s just been released?

Really? Next thing you know, Donald Trump will be elected President.

Oh.

(Pro tip: If you’ve seen A New Hope, you’ve seen this movie – JJ didn’t try very hard to disguise it, when he copied the first movie. Although Boyega is awesome, and Mr Ford still has it).

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Berry Pun Pup.6904

People are seriously being banned over discussing some, at best, average movie that’s just been released?

Really? Next thing you know, Donald Trump will be elected President.

Oh.

(Pro tip: If you’ve seen A New Hope, you’ve seen this movie – JJ didn’t try very hard to disguise it, when he copied the first movie. Although Boyega is awesome, and Mr Ford still has it).

No one’s been banned yet as far as I know. People are instead asking for Anet to ban those who made them mad about this movie.

Posted by: echo.2053

echo.2053

It shouldn’t even have been addressed, it was a complete and utter overreaction error much like the over zealous wintersday 2012 bannings.

Now they will have to address and most likely section a part of the cs team for spoiler infractions on every upcoming game, movie, tv show etc because some players feelings were mediocrely hurt.

It a bit saddening though to see that this star wars movie will be the last movie a majority of people will see though RIP, If they aren’t dying then they need to develop some coping skills pronto.

Bender the offender – Proud violator of 17 safe spaces –

ham.8209

It shouldn’t even have been addressed, it was a complete and utter overreaction error much like the over zealous wintersday 2012 bannings.

Now they will have to address and most likely section a part of the cs team for spoiler infractions on every upcoming game, movie, tv show etc because some players feelings were mediocrely hurt.

It a bit saddening though to see that this star wars movie will be the last movie a majority of people will see though RIP, If they aren’t dying then they need to develop some coping skills pronto.

but then they would have to hire some more better coders and so forth to make that

all happen but i do think they would do something like that it might cost them too

much

zenleto.6179

Griefing should always be addressed and that’s what this is about. Whether CS really end up doing anything about it is up to them.

ham.8209

My posting was too good for them to lock the thread yet, obviously.

obviously and iam ok with that and here is two bottles of good wine. sigh care for some

crackers and cheese with it too ???? might as well make the best of this all eh and

enjoy the good show we got here maybe :P

echo.2053

Griefing should always be addressed and that’s what this is about. Whether CS really end up doing anything about it is up to them.

So every time a player becomes offended, which is all the time, a case of griefing should be brought up? A group of players go to one lane causeing upscale – file grief report, group of players fail to defend objective – file grief report.

Its one thing if a player was repeatedly targeted or the message was spammed like gold sellers – yes action should be takening there. but outside that its just laughable

Posted by: DDCarvalho.2071

DDCarvalho.2071

I surely think those kinds of trolls should be punished. And for the people saying it should be low priority comparing to people using hacks on PvP and WvW

1. Gameplay hacks are harder to detect, they probably work with visual confirmation and that probably means video proof or a GM witnessing the person doing the hack.

2. Chat griefing is very easy to confirm, just see the logs for that particular time and voilá, GMs have proof.

Even if Anet is not comfortable banning those people for being jerks, I think some kind of “measured response” would be necessary. For example, chat or LFG griefing? Banned from chat and LFG for 1/2/6 months. Losing PvP matches on purpose? Banned from PvP.

The free-to-play restrictions show that it is in the game’s capabilities to block some features from players, even if not in the exact manner I proposed.
I would be perfectly ok with people like that being banned from the game. But if not that… That can be an option.

zenleto.6179

So every time a player becomes offended, which is all the time, a case of griefing should be brought up? A group of players go to one lane causeing upscale – file grief report, group of players fail to defend objective – file grief report.

Its one thing if a player was repeatedly targeted or the message was spammed like gold sellers – yes action should be takening there. but outside that its just laughable

Your second paragraphette is the relevant one here, the other is just drivel. Players have been deliberately griefing others with spoilers. That is the thing here. “Deliberately” – go look it up.

echo.2053

Your second paragraphette is the relevant one here, the other is just drivel. Players have been deliberately griefing others with spoilers. That is the thing here. “Deliberately” – go look it up.

So your saying players can’t purposely upscale an event to cause failure? but a general message in chat is specifically targeted at you and for some reason your block feature is broken? That guild wars 2 manual – look up the features

zenleto.6179

So your saying players can’t purposely upscale an event to cause failure? but a general message in chat is specifically targeted at you and for some reason your block feature is broken? That guild wars 2 manual – look up the features

Of course they can so report those kittens. What aren’t you getting? Griefing is griefing.

Ugh, I told myself I wasn’t going to get involved with this. I’ve griefed myself!

Posted by: HyruleanHyroe.1473

HyruleanHyroe.1473

Not 100%, but sometimes I just wish bad bad things regarding some people in games.

So a guy is in LA spamming Star Wars spoilers. Nice.

PS: I’ve seen it already but C’MON!

Report it. Please!!

Why on earth is this reportable? So does this mean that no one can talk about any book, movie, or show that other people might not have seen because someone might get upset that it was spoiled? Or is it just new things? Or just a certain degree of popularity? Is there some special rubric to determine what is a reportable spoiler or not? Seriously, what makes someone talking about the new Star Wars movie a reportable offense?

There’s a difference between people discussing it and outright being like SO AND SO DOES SUCH AND SUCH, just to get a rise out of people.

I believe the thing will be discussed on a case by case basis, if its someone being a jerk, then yeah they deserve any reprecaution that comes their way.

It’s called having some consideration for people.

You mean.like that part where jar jar binks is swimming through space and eats the death star in one go, while like and Han are delivering R2-D2’s baby?

Right after Snape kills Yoda and it’s revealed that BB-8’s been dead the whole time, yes!

I have a “band”, Beatiatrician: http://youtu.be/zw_Sl-El8_I

echo.2053

Of course they can so report those kittens. What aren’t you getting? Griefing is griefing.

Ugh, I told myself I wasn’t going to get involved with this. I’ve griefed myself!

But you said it was drivel before no? welcome to the light maybe?

Alright ready here is a pro tip i guess i can part with for free pay attention closely. here it comes – Imma walk away forgetting who you were or what ever conversation interaction we had you are free to tell me that tomarrow the sun will rise but yet im still going to be surpised that its there – its crazy i know but insanity runs through me

Posted by: Misfit.5962

Misfit.5962

Holy 9 pages of poo flinging Batman!!!!

You see? This is why we cant have nice things :/