the ncsoft finacial report surprised me alot

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Glory.1493

Glory.1493

ncsoft released its 2014Q2 financial report(http://www.ncsoft.net/global/ir/earnings.aspx)
gw2 generate about 25million dollars in last 3month,and alittle bit downed compare to Q1(30million)which almost the same to 2013Q4,i dont have early figures about the whole 2013 fiscal year but here i can come up with some financial status about gw2.yes it remain stable.and probably gonna reach 100million dollar at the end of 2014, i know its alittle bit going down YoY2013 .but if u take look at other major mmo on the market(swtor,wildstar,eso,ff14),i have done some reserch on these mmo(each game forum,3rd party figures from mmorpg.com)every figure i got told me gw2 sure has the largest player base among those mmo, but nearly get the lowest revenue(swtor get 150million in2013 which has the smallest player base among those mmo above) .here are some thoughts why it gone this way.one thing must be the b2p model,gw2 is the only b2p game here, this surely wont get as much as p2w and p2p at the start,but whats comes after is the gemstore. as gw2 is not a p2w game, anet cant stats related stuff on gemstore like other mmo. but they sure can sell good looking skins which they didnt. u cant say black lion weapon is awesome nor armor skin from “style” on gemstore, some of them are even ugly.i believe this is the only mmo that i complain compay dont sell enough on their real money in game market.this is weird,if i work as a product manager who devs very little products that wont match the needs of customer, i probably get fired many times already.and from the fiscal report we can see most revenue anet got was from gemstore sells and new player.(china launch is not included in 25million cuz its break down to loyalty revenue) .both of them are actually same thing cuz ppl buy stuff from gemsotre no matter they r new or vets. summarized as this,above all the mmo the mentioned b4 .gw2 has largest player base while make lowest revenue(its still stable after 2years launch which is good).anet u reallly need to reconsider the stuff on gemstore and decide what to do next.do it quickly

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

I don’t suppose you could use punctuation, and maybe break that up into paragraphs?

Posted by: adormtil.1605

adormtil.1605

(china launch is not included in 25million cuz its break down to loyalty revenue)

What do you mean by that? Can you explain to me why is it not included?

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

Oh my god

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Posted by: XyAltAcc.2096

XyAltAcc.2096

NCsoft released their 2014 Q2 financial report.
(http://www.ncsoft.net/global/ir/earnings.aspx)

GW2 generated about 25 million dollars in the last 3 months, a little bit less compared to Q1(30 million $), which is almost the same as 2013 Q4. I don’t have early figures about the whole 2013 fiscal year, but here I can come up with some financial status about GW2. Yes it remains stable, and is probably going to reach 100 million dollars at the end of 2014. I know YoY2013 is a little bit decreasing, but if u take a look at other major MMOs on the market (swtor, wildstar, eso, ff14). I have done some research on these MMOs (each game forum, 3rd party figures from mmorpg.com), every figure I saw told me GW2 surely has the largest player base among those MMOs, but nearly gets the lowest revenue(swtor get 150million in 2013, which has the smallest player base among those MMOs above).

Here are some thoughts about why it has gone this way. One thing must be the B2P model. GW2 is the only B2P game here, this surely won’t get as much as P2W and P2PØ at the beginning, but what comes after is the gemstore. As GW2 is not a P2W game, anet can’t put stat related stuff in the gemstore like other MMOs, but they can surely sell good looking skins, which they don’t. You can’t say black lion weapons are awesome nor armor skins from the “style” section in the gemstore. Some of them are even ugly. I believe this is the only MMO that I complain compay don’t sell enough on their real money in game market. This is weird, if I work as a product manager who develop few products that won’t match the needs of the customer, I would probably get fired many times already, and from the fiscal report we can see the most revenue anet got, was from gemstore transactions and new players (China launch is not included in 25million because it’s break down to loyalty revenue). Both of them are actually the same thing because people buy stuff from gemstore no matter if they are new or veterans.

Summary: Of all the mmos that was mentioned before, GW2 has largest player base, while making the lowest revenue (it’s still stable 2 years after launch which is good). Anet you really need to reconsider the stuff on gemstore and decide what to do next. Do it quickly.

English isn’t my native language but I gave it a try.

Xyros

(edited by XyAltAcc.2096)

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I would have thought 100 million-ish for a year would have been pretty good for how this game is. It really surprises me whenever I see how much money GW2 makes.

Star Wars is Star Wars and has some of the most die hard fans around so I’m not surprised by that figure. As a universe it just craps on nearly anything else.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: adormtil.1605

adormtil.1605

^I heard that the event in Star Wars the mmo are not even cannon anymore. this year Anet has more revenue then all then those games why China release so I see no problem.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I’m not sure where you are getting that china is not included. The presentation specifically says that profit is up on GW2 because of china…

they only made 25 million INCLUDING china’s launch.

Not really new information, we knew the game was in trouble, the devs just refuse to give the players what they want.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

His facts are not accurate. Even going by posted revenue GW2 makes more than many other MMOs out there. For example it apparently made more in Q4 last year than Wildstar made in its launch quarter, which would have included everyone buying the box and a bunch of people buying that CRUDD stuff. For another, TOR’s claimed profit margins are a bit sketchy, I’ve heard they are bundling in profits from all sorts of other EA products to try and make it seem better than it actually is, not sure on that though.

In any case, there’s a lot of random speculation to this post, and it basically seems like an excuse to push more stuff onto the gem store or something?

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Coopziana.1802

Coopziana.1802

I’m not sure where you are getting that china is not included. The presentation specifically says that profit is up on GW2 because of china…

Not really new information, we knew the game was in trouble, the devs just refuse to give the players what they want.

I don’t think it’s “refusal” I think it’s lack of manpower and time to make it happen. True they have their own agenda’s which aren’t exactly conducive to player needs, but I’d like to think that they would give us what we wanted if they could.

I guess it’s a case of “prioritising” where the game is concerned and right now I think they are more controlled with improving the game engine as it currently has many flaws which need to be assessed and fixed before they continue to expand the game causing more issues to fix. It’s a bit of a vicious circle really.

All in all I think ANet were probably pushed to release the game by NCSoft even though it was not finished, but it was functional and one can only assume that from a financial standing, getting the funds in to keep the staff working to fix the problems, outweighed putting back the launch date.

Now ANet have the player base thrown into the equation, making demands and requests from all directions which they cannot keep up with as there is far too much for them to take on… It’s sad, but something’s gotta give if anything is to be done at all.

In some ways I think that ANet need some downtime on the game so they can take a big swing at fixing everything that needs fixing/updating and then bring the game back online again with a ton of new features and to have the game in a good state, ready to then focus their efforts on new content.

But that’s just my opinion.

Like & Subscribe to “Game Slobs” on YouTube: www.youtube.com/c/gameslobsuk

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

First of all you can’t really compare them because those other games are new and GW2 is 2 years old.

Secondly GW2 is not a true B2P model but more like a F2P model meaning there main income (or there focus) comes form the cash-shop not from games sales (including expansions that is).

If they where using a true B2P model and releasing an expansion every year they would likely have earned more money or so do the numbers seem to show.

See: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/NcSoft-earnings-1Q-14/page/3#post4029793
and:
https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/151443/1q14_NCSoft.jpg?

Oow and ‘cool’ skins should drop in the world, they should be rewards for playing. They should not be things you buy with money because thats not ‘playing a game’. And they sell way to much in real money. Except for selling a few things like character slots, total make-over kits and name changers they should be selling nothing of that kind. Just selling expansions.

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

NCsoft released their 2014 Q2 financial report.
(http://www.ncsoft.net/global/ir/earnings.aspx)

GW2 generated about 25 million dollars in last 3 months, a little bit less compared to Q1(30 million $), which is almost the same as 2013 Q4. I don’t have early figures about the whole 2013 fiscal year, but here I can come up with some financial status about GW2. Yes it remain stable, and is probably going to reach 100 million dollars at the end of 2014. I know YoY2013 is a little bit decreasing, but if u take a look at other major mmos on the market (swtor, wildstar, eso, ff14). I have done some research on these mmos (each game forum, 3rd party figures from mmorpg.com),every figure I saw told me GW2 surely has the largest player base among those MMOs, but nearly gets the lowest revenue(swtor get 150million in 2013, which has the smallest player base among those mmos above).

Here are some thoughts about why it has gone this way. One thing must be the B2P model. GW2 is the only B2P game here, this surely won’t get as much as P2W and P2PØ at the beginning, but what comes after is the gemstore. As GW2 is not a P2W game, anet can’t put stat related stuff in the gemstore like other MMOs, but they can surely sell good looking skins, which they didn’t. You can’t say black lion weapons are awesome nor armor skins from “style” section in the gemstore. Some of them are even ugly. I believe this is the only mmo that I complain compay dont sell enough on their real money in game market. This is weird, if I work as a product manager who develop few products that won’t match the needs of the customer, I would probably get fired many times already, and from the fiscal report we can see the most revenue anet got, was from gemstore transactions and new players (China launch is not included in 25million because it’s break down to loyalty revenue). Both of them are actually the same thing because people buy stuff from gemstore no matter if they are new or veterans.

Summary: Of all the mmos that was mentioned before, GW2 has largest player base, while making the lowest revenue (it’s still stable 2 years after launch which is good). Anet you really need to reconsider the stuff on gemstore and decide what to do next. Do it quickly.

English isn’t my native language but I gave it a try.

Yet you managed to put the barely-literate, badly-punctuated, netspeak-gibberish OP to shame!

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

Either everyone around me is getting bad vision faster than me, or they just like to complain about anything and everything.

Instead of finding creative ways to complain about someone’s post, use your head for two seconds, and figure out a way around your own inability to read.

For example, you could hold down the left mouse button, and highlight the words as you read them, unless its too much work to hold down one measly mouse button, which just goes back to the first sentence in this post.

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

Either everyone around me is getting bad vision faster than me, or they just like to complain about anything and everything.

Instead of finding creative ways to complain about someone’s post, use your head for two seconds, and figure out a way around your own inability to read.

For example, you could hold down the left mouse button, and highlight the words as you read them, unless its too much work to hold down one measly mouse button, which just goes back to the first sentence in this post.

Oh, I can read. I just value my free time over reading a load of poorly-formatted gibberish riddled with netspeak. If the OP can’t be kitten d writing properly, why should the rest of us take the time to read through it?

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

Posted by: Zardul.3952

Zardul.3952

like most people have said.
its a steady decline and i would imagine its because of the content and updates being underwhelming and serious issues still in the game that need bug fixing.

the onyl way to stop a decline is to change your approach. the Cheese(money) is not always going to be there.

read the book " who moved my Cheese " its about how to deal with losing profits and money.

very common and popular business book

Main: lvl 80 Ranger ,
Alt: lvl 80 Mesmer

Chrispy.5641

Oh, I can read. I just value my free time over reading a load of poorly-formatted gibberish riddled with netspeak. If the OP can’t be kitten d writing properly, why should the rest of us take the time to read through it?

You value your free time over reading a load of poorly formatted gibberish riddled with netspeak(which isn’t even a word), but you obviously don’t value it enough to complain.

Posted by: Iconik.8712

Iconik.8712

Oh Lord. I love this sentiment. You’re right. ANet has NO interest in pleasing it’s playerbase. They’re in business to not make money, and the obvious best route to take in achieving this insane goal is to kitten you off. Ugh.

Oh Hey Girl – Troll Thief Extraordinaire Tarnished Coast – www.twitch.tv/iconikk

Chrispy.5641

its a steady decline and i would imagine its because of the content and updates being underwhelming and serious issues still in the game that need bug fixing.

the onyl way to stop a decline is to change your approach. the Cheese(money) is not always going to be there.

read the book " who moved my Cheese " its about how to deal with losing profits and money.

Changing their approach could be the problem though. Anet has changed their approach for Post Launch GW2 like every 3-6 months. They might be trying to reinvent the wheel a little too often, and a little too fast though. There are some things about the original two week living world release schedule that didn’t work, and things that did, and there are some things about the current ‘lets release everything at once’ approach that work, and things that don’t. 1 year isn’t enough time to accurately determine if one strategy worked over another.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

How much do you know about business plans?

It seems people think that every business has a plan where they continually make increased profits. This, however, isn’t the case.

My field was publishing. A book was expected to make most of the money it ever made in the first 90 days of sales. Most games are very similar. They make most of their money up front.

Of course subscription games make money every month based on the number of subscribers. Guild Wars 2 makes money on new sales, which should be relatively few after two years and the cash shop. That’s it.

It would be anticipated that sales would slow until some kind of expansion came out.

That’s more than likely what the business plan looks like.

Zardul.3952

in 2015 , without any changes for Gw2. the profits will decline further.

you cannot expect people to stay interested when Change is not occurring at a certain level of interest to players time invested in the game.

Anet really need to think about Expansions and Real NEW content that holds up.

MAYBE… Public BETA tests could better help this game improve and thus improve Profits.

Vayne.8563

you cannot expect people to stay interested when Change is not occurring at a certain level of interest to players time invested in the game.

MAYBE… Public BETA tests could better help this game improve and thus improve Profits.

They had a public test of EoTM and look where that got them.

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

The one major flaw in the OPs analysis is he believes the amount of players can be extrapolated from the net money made from the product (which includes gem store sales). You can have a smaller player base that is more loyal and more spendy and come to the same net monetary gain. So, in short, player base can not readily be determined (in comparison to other games) simply by profits.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

So much wrong in this analysis.

Posted by: Gaebriel.3754

Gaebriel.3754

I absolutely don’t get why on earth people actually use their free time to read these financial reports, but to each their own I guess. To me it just sounds as fun as paying taxes in a game! :-P

Posted by: Snowmoon.1758

Snowmoon.1758

Man i really hate people who post without punctuations and paragraphs.
Can someone help summarize? My eyes are bleeding.

Staunch Supporter of Mounts in Guild Wars 2. Gimme mah Fluffeh White Bunneh!!!
Give us Mounts, Anet! Pretty Please with Chocolate, Whipped Cream, Cherry and Mayonnaise? d^_^b

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

XyAltAcc did so, Snowmoon, a few posts below the OP.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I agree that their shop is problematic, and I disagree with the OP that they don’t have a P2W game. Sorry, it’s just not true. Right now all new players who are to catchup with buddies must not only endure the problems of the unlucky account system (DR and other systems of restricting loot post level 80 and trust me most of them will) and the system of requiring currency transfer between real money (gems) and game (gold) in order to get their characters properly geared and enchanted for the long haul. It’s really not that difficult to see.

You see they’ve changed the game so much in this department that gone are the days of the simple gold rush runs where one could easily just run around doing anything and getting loot to be sold to improve a character’s standing. And god forbid you actually need to respec a build, you have to change out your entire armorset/enchants etc in order to do that which is nothing like other game titles out there.

If they switched to a rewarding game system rather than a restrictive one they’d see their revenue soar. I’ve given them two great examples from games with enduring shops/playerbases that have done great things simply by rewarding players. Rift/Tera.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

tigirius.9014

That’s a farse. You can have a restricted public test complete with an NDA and not have a single issue. STO is doing that right now with their newest ships to prevent the new stats from being released prior to when they have them complete. Just because Anet chooses not to use the tried and true method in no way makes their system superior.

Or have your forgotten the number of “balance” patches they’ve released that have had draconian systems put in without a single actual player testing them prior to release which incidentally broke some aspect of the game. ie. Kit Refinement.

(edited by tigirius.9014)

Vayne.8563

That’s a farse. You can have a restricted public test complete with an NDA and not have a single issue. STO is doing that right now with their newest ships to prevent the new stats from being released prior to when they have them complete. Just because Anet chooses not to use the tried and true method in no way makes their system superior.

Or have your forgotten the number of “balance” patches they’ve released that have had draconian systems put in without a single actual player testing them prior to release which incidentally broke some aspect of the game. ie. Kit Refinement.

They had a public test of EotM with thousands of of people, dozens of guilds. I was part of that test. They had their own forums and they invited WvW guilds to that test. They made changes to EoTM based on fan comments.

You can say all you want that it wasn’t public..but opening up a WvW test to like Joe Pve probably wouldn’t have done much good. And even then, my guild is mostly a PvE guild and we were there.

tigirius.9014

They had a public test of EotM with thousands of of people, dozens of guilds. I was part of that test. They had their own forums and they invited WvW guilds to that test. They made changes to EoTM based on fan comments.

You can say all you want that it wasn’t public..but opening up a WvW test to like Joe Pve probably wouldn’t have done much good. And even then, my guild is mostly a PvE guild and we were there.

I don’t have to say anything, the entire history of mmo development speaks volumes for itself as using the PTA is always superior to having closed testing with less than 100 people from inside the company who couldn’t possibly say anything negative or give concerns lest their job be threatened. It’s always been like that.

Vayne.8563

I don’t have to say anything, the entire history of mmo development speaks volumes for itself as using the PTA is always superior to having closed testing with less than 100 people from inside the company who couldn’t possibly say anything negative or give concerns lest their job be threatened. It’s always been like that.

I can’t argue with that. Not because you’re right, but because you’re so locked into your opinion that there’s not much point.

I don’t agree that it makes a better game, though it probably removes some bugs. It also ruins things by taking away anything that might surprise.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

The most popular and populated map in the game?

Vayne.8563

The most popular and populated map in the game?

That the WvW people absolutely cant’ stand and rail against. They created it and tested it with WvWer’s and no one saw what it would become.

WvWers will say they’ve got no content since launch. I say, what about an entire map. They all just laugh.

EotM is not really serving the function it was made to serve.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

One thing is certain, the numbers aren’t going up.
They would have to release an expansion for that.

That is obvious, EotM is a disaster in comparison of what it was meant to be; but what is worrying is: why doesn’t Anet fix it? All the content is there, they just have to make defending and battles meaningful.

(edited by Xillllix.3485)

Zardul.3952

Back again.

a public Test realm. pre patchs would solve a lot of bugs and fixes most people experience during patch release.

if we had a BETA TEST for patchs we wouldn’t have problems that have occurred in the past with EVERY patch.

for example – the Event chain bug on dragon reach part 1/2

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Your assumption is that without change players will leave. Ok I can get behind that. Whether those players are the Gem store users however… I’ve got a feeling that those who actively spend money on GW2 are somewhat more invested (a whole host of psychological concepts) then those who haven’t spent a cent beyond initial box buy. Now granted if enough players leave (paying or not) it would be bad for the game since to be fun it needs to be active. But I’m not sure if we’ll see such a tipping point being reached.

“The street finds its own uses for things.”

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Supposeded top wvw guilds get a beta to test a new map and system, and they didn’t see the flaw of “karma train” which was complained about in current wvw. If anything, because of that failed beta, anet is more reluctant than ever for betas.

Zardul.3952

i would suggest Anet open up a public test realm. where we can test out new maps and traits and content.

the amount of feedback can give Anet a Plan of attack for bugs and problems before it has rolled out..

which in the long run.. keeps players… which keeps profits.

you really need to think outside the box to retain players

Vayne.8563

i would suggest Anet open up a public test realm. where we can test out new maps and traits and content.

the amount of feedback can give Anet a Plan of attack for bugs and problems before it has rolled out..

Actually it wouldn’t work for this game for a lot of reasons. First among them is that there’s no real time in the schedule for it.

Zardul.3952

Actually it wouldn’t work for this game for a lot of reasons. First among them is that there’s no real time in the schedule for it.

how would you know if it did or didn’t work.
you dont work at ANET.

i think it would be a very good idea to test things that need feedback. and it would stop all the exploits before they roll out.. players wouldn’t moan as much and people would actually enjoy the game a little better.

which is all good for profits.

Posted by: Steakface.3781

Steakface.3781

The game is declining and will continue to do so. The formula, which was fresh and exciting when it launched, is unfortunately not a formula for longevity unless you push out expansion packs like there’s no tomorrow. Guild Wars 2 is a fun ride, but it’s a short one.

Vayne.8563

you dont work at ANET.

i think it would be a very good idea to test things that need feedback. and it would stop all the exploits before they roll out.. players wouldn’t moan as much and people would actually enjoy the game a little better.

I don’t have to be a dev to see logic. They’re putting out content relatively quickly even if you think they’re not. They dn’t have time to get fans to test it and react to that testing without completely altering their schedule.

Everyone wants content NOW. Not three four months later. It will not work for this game, and I don’t have to be an Anet employee (even though I wish I were lol) to know this.

Posted by: Swish.2463

Swish.2463

I don’t think it’s “refusal” I think it’s lack of manpower and time to make it happen. True they have their own agenda’s which aren’t exactly conducive to player needs, but I’d like to think that they would give us what we wanted if they could.

I guess it’s a case of “prioritising” where the game is concerned and right now I think they are more controlled with improving the game engine as it currently has many flaws which need to be assessed and fixed before they continue to expand the game causing more issues to fix. It’s a bit of a vicious circle really.

This made my day, haven’t laughed this hard at a post since i looked at the lore forum a few months ago. Nope, just nope, Anets only focus is LS which can sometimes lead to fixing old bugs but mostly it leads to hoping new and old gullible players into forgetting about all the issues the rest of the game has that haven’t been touched or even acknowledged since Scarlets epic LS1 began.

As for EoTM, it was a good idea tested to right way and made very well and then it took Anet Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long to implement it… Many WvW players quit or moved servers or got fed up with the ques and focused on other parts of the game. When your epic new map and promised fix Touch down almost 8 months after you announce it, people aren’t going to be excited, they’re just going to be angry and wonder why it wasn’t implemented when it was needed.

Similarly, Anet could Announce an Expansion tomorrow and still end up losing 80% of its current player base because it would take them 4 to 7 years to make it… It might be the most awesome game ever but it’s still gonna kitten everyone off if its way too late to help/save the interest in the game you have now.

It’s obvious Anet can do things quickly, look at this feature patch for example, a lot of it looks like it was finished in mere weeks to months. When they arent squandering all their resources on this LS pipe dream, kitten can actually get done at Anet. This has become the true legacy of the LS as far as i can tell. A core game left half baked or in ruins for a cart and horse that have no road to travel upon.

Personally I dont want to see an expansion, I dont want to wait for it for 6 years while the Dev team is still forced to kitten on the LS and call it content.

Insted i want to see the studio return to its previous state, 1 MAYBE 2 LS teams putting out the personal instances / maps every month or so

Teams that focus just on fixing or adding new skills or weapons to classes, call this the core expansion team. Let them expand on the Core elements like traits and weapons and combat buffs/debuffs.. etc..

a WvW team that focuses on taking the ZvD content we have and actually attempts some balance in that mess, freshen the game mode etc..

a PvP team that works on new match types, new challenges, balances, new maps, new rewards and preferably everyone plays a different class competitively… the PvP team should be the core balance team but should probably report to the WvW/LS-PvE team regarding any changes to see how it might effect other aspects of the game.

Gw2 needs to grow Out from its center, Anet cant just keep trying to build a City on top of a Swamp and seem surprised when it keeps falling over.

~Elyssion~
“Gw2, It’s still on the Table!” – Anet

Posted by: Lucius.2140

Lucius.2140

ncsoft released its 2014Q2 financial report(http://www.ncsoft.net/global/ir/earnings.aspx)
gw2 generate about 25million dollars in last 3month,and alittle bit downed compare to Q1(30million)which almost the same to 2013Q4,i dont have early figures about the whole 2013 fiscal year but here i can come up with some financial status about gw2.yes it remain stable.and probably gonna reach 100million dollar at the end of 2014, i know its alittle bit going down YoY2013 .but if u take look at other major mmo on the market(swtor,wildstar,eso,ff14),i have done some reserch on these mmo(each game forum,3rd party figures from mmorpg.com)every figure i got told me gw2 sure has the largest player base among those mmo, but nearly get the lowest revenue(swtor get 150million in2013 which has the smallest player base among those mmo above) .here are some thoughts why it gone this way.one thing must be the b2p model,gw2 is the only b2p game here, this surely wont get as much as p2w and p2p at the start,but whats comes after is the gemstore. as gw2 is not a p2w game, anet cant stats related stuff on gemstore like other mmo. but they sure can sell good looking skins which they didnt. u cant say black lion weapon is awesome nor armor skin from “style” on gemstore, some of them are even ugly.i believe this is the only mmo that i complain compay dont sell enough on their real money in game market.this is weird,if i work as a product manager who devs very little products that wont match the needs of customer, i probably get fired many times already.and from the fiscal report we can see most revenue anet got was from gemstore sells and new player.(china launch is not included in 25million cuz its break down to loyalty revenue) .both of them are actually same thing cuz ppl buy stuff from gemsotre no matter they r new or vets. summarized as this,above all the mmo the mentioned b4 .gw2 has largest player base while make lowest revenue(its still stable after 2years launch which is good).anet u reallly need to reconsider the stuff on gemstore and decide what to do next.do it quickly

Thank you very much for your information.

tigirius.9014

you dont work at ANET.

I don’t have to be a dev to see logic. They’re putting out content relatively quickly even if you think they’re not. They dn’t have time to get fans to test it and react to that testing without completely altering their schedule.

Everyone wants content NOW. Not three four months later. It will not work for this game, and I don’t have to be an Anet employee (even though I wish I were lol) to know this.

Actually that too is false, plenty of games out there with the F2P models have 3-4 month schedules for content releases, have PTA systems of testing to emphasize quality rather than quantity, AND still maintain a very large international playerbase without having restricted every single aspect of the new patches coming out. I suggest that you take a look at those systems so that you too can see since you claim that you have a grasp of logic, why these systems have not only been successful but been repeated over and over again throughout the lives of these games and game systems.

Vayne.8563

you dont work at ANET.

Actually that too is false, plenty of games out there with the F2P models have 3-4 month schedules for content releases, have PTA systems of testing to emphasize quality rather than quantity, AND still maintain a very large international playerbase without having restricted every single aspect of the new patches coming out. I suggest that you take a look at those systems so that you too can see since you claim that you have a grasp of logic, why these systems have not only been successful but been repeated over and over again throughout the lives of these games and game systems.

Yes, all those free to play games that use them are massively successful. Every one of them.

There’s no doubt in my mind that successful games use PTRs. There’s also no doubt it my mind that some unsuccessful games have used them.

I’m not really sure what you’re trying to prove, but it’s not going to work here, and it’s not going to happen here, and it sure as hell didn’t help EotM which was my point. It was tested to death by WvW people who are now trying to disown it.

Posted by: Windsagio.1340

Windsagio.1340

I’m used to forums being all armchair designers, but now they’re all armchair buisness development specialists too?

Posted by: Lucius.2140

Lucius.2140

How much do you know about business plans?

It seems people think that every business has a plan where they continually make increased profits. This, however, isn’t the case.

My field was publishing. A book was expected to make most of the money it ever made in the first 90 days of sales. Most games are very similar. They make most of their money up front.

Of course subscription games make money every month based on the number of subscribers. Guild Wars 2 makes money on new sales, which should be relatively few after two years and the cash shop. That’s it.

It would be anticipated that sales would slow until some kind of expansion came out.

That’s more than likely what the business plan looks like.

Considering that Anet current plan seems to be the LS, its not necesary as you put it, still if things go bad they would try to launch a expansion, thats for sure.

However, going beyond this, to the true point of this thread:
Anet have a relative secured income this year. But in comparison with similar competitors, that were less sucefull in the number of games sold and number of current costumers, they arent suceeding in get as much value per customer than the other companies.

In a bussines aproach thats bad, they could be winning much more with a better managment.

(edited by Lucius.2140)

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Anet does need to rethink some business ideas.

First, the two week content shift is just too short to continue working as is. It doesn’t give enough time to bug fix or test things implemented.

Now, what I assume they have set up are people working on forfront content, and people working on future content. Let’s face it, new maps don’t happen in two week development cycles, they take work. But it seems to make the forfront content churn out faster, the work and development of the future stuff is delayed even more.

So while I applaud the attempt at two weeks, its just not working. Try a month.

Secondly, while pve is getting a story, the rest of the game is practically still where it was two years ago. The dungeon system needs updating (too many currencies, not very rewarding), karma needs a new purpose, and spvp needs a new mode.

WvW has at least gotten some map updates, orb mechanic brought back in a new way, seasons, updated achieves and rewards, a new (though fail) map, but the core issue of points and organizing (albeit getting COLORS now, but no improved functionality) still remains.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

The only F2P i know that has a PTS is Champions Online, however i would not play
that without a subscription, since the best part of the game, freeform characters,,
are not available without that.

And the main point, they never really cared about bugs found on PTS and always
realeased stuff that was bugged 100 times. So in the end the PTS is mostly just a
way to test build without having to pay actual ingame currency for respecs.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.