22 Chests opened, nothing unique

in Halloween Event

Posted by: devilstriangle.9346

devilstriangle.9346

i came home all excited ready to at least get something from a chest since i had 30 keys and opened them all got another 8 keys from those and still ended up with nothing. Thats alot of gold gone. Come on chance must be pretty low for me to recieve not even those green items. not even 1!!!. -_- never again infact i dont even feel like login in and playing.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Reginold.8536

Reginold.8536

Real talk though, Guild Wars has always been heavily dependent on word of mouth, I’m truly surprised that you guys pulled a stunt like this without thinking how many people are going to posting negative feedback.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Esrever.8613

Esrever.8613

If you had spent your 20,30,50 dollars or more on gold instead of keys you would have enough money to afford just about anything in the game.

This is so completely and utterly false. Do you have any idea at all how much gold you get from 20,30,50 dollars? Do you have any idea what the most expensive things in game cost? Have a look before replying.

At the current exchange rate over the last 30 minutes, you will get 16,24, or 40 gold. Most expensive item is chainsaw greatsword at 33 gold and dropping.

And this isn’t as high as the peak exchange rate.

Completely and utterly false, right bra * roll eyes *.

No idea what that last sentence means… I can only assume it is yet another generic 9gag reference or daft internet casualty slang.

But as for the rest of it, you said that amount of money will buy you anything in game. Not sure where you’re looking but my non-rolling eyes are seeing items over 300g. I’ll go ahead and assume you worded your post poorly and meant to say any Halloween item, in which case you’d still be wrong, as the Chainsaw skin is now 79g, and rising.

inb4 memes.

I predict the chain great sword will be worth at least 150g at the current drop rate by the time the even is over.

sllaw eht no nettirw gnihtemos saw ecno ereht

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

The chest was worth 28 copper a few hours ago, than the patch came and it is now 8 copper xD (sorry, it is indeed not funny.. but obviously there are a lot of disappointed and upset people selling their chests…)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: devilstriangle.9346

devilstriangle.9346

Makes me angry instead of buying the gems for keys i should of went to tp and just bought the dam sythe staff thing …

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Sanarian.9614

Sanarian.9614

Real talk though, Guild Wars has always been heavily dependent on word of mouth, I’m truly surprised that you guys pulled a stunt like this without thinking how many people are going to posting negative feedback.

Truthfully that tends to be the case with most MMOs, though—just look at some of the more recent ones and what happened to them when people spread rumors/were honest about their experiences. It never pans out well.

Sanarian [ME] | Thief | Blackgate

in Halloween Event

Esrever.8613

The chest was worth 28 copper a few hours ago, than the patch came and it is now 8 copper xD (sorry, it is indeed not funny.. but obviously there are a lot of disappointed and upset people selling their chests…)

I see like 30000 sell offers for 1s, so many people bought into that stupid scam.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

Chain greatsword is now 75g. Rising fast. What a fun event, guys.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: AcidicVision.5498

AcidicVision.5498

You are not guaranteed to receive a rare item after opening a Black Lion Chest. You have a chance to get a unique/rare item. Some people are luckier than others. The Halloween skins are tradeable, so if you aren’t able to get them in a Black Lion Chest, you can obtain them on the Trading Post.

Yeah, Sorry RB, but no dice there. When the splash screen ad for mystic chest shows Halloween items, and the promotion for the event says it will be stocked with Halloween items, then the team should make sure at least SOMETHING Halloween related is as common from them as boosters and mining tools.

This is something that people paid hard earned cash for. People attached credit cards to their accounts and gave you money directly from their banks based on in and out of game advertisements that led them to believe they were paying for something related to the event. I would have not been nearly as disappointed if a few of my 20-30 attempts resulted in a Halloween tonic, or a ToT bag anything related to the reason I purchased the keys to begin with. Something I could say “Well I didn’t get a weapon, but this is pretty neat…”

I appreciate the teams hard work on the event. It looks great. Im sure it will be entertaining. But whoever made this particular decision probably made a mistake that will cost money in the long term. This is the sort of thing people remember. I’m sure future events will sell a lot of costumes (even to me), but as a long time customer…there is no way you will ever sell me a black lion key again based on an event or promotion again.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Moderator.9532

Moderator.9532

Please continue posting in a productive and respectful tone and refrain from creating misleading or demanding posts.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: mischwoof.9785

mischwoof.9785

I got a skin on my third chest :>

It’s just luck, guys. You knew you were gambling!

Nisha The Medicat [NEWL] | Lv. 80 Engineer | Dragonbrand

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Darknass.1903

Darknass.1903

The fact of the matter is, A-Net didn’t make you buy the keys, YOU decided to buy the gems with gold or actual currency to use on they keys. Sure they decided to add a chance (small but nonetheless still a CHANCE) to receive Halloween themed items from a chest that requires you to spend gold/currency to open them (for the most part) but that doesn’t mean YOU had to do so. If you find yourself getting mad that YOU decided to spend a bunch of gems on keys and got “nothing” out of it then it is your own fault. To the point of getting “nothing”; you still get quite a bit out of the black lion chests even if not the Halloween skins often times you get a-lot more out of it then you put in, and the skins are just an added Halloween bonus.

HoD – Ranger, Ele, Guard, Engie.

“The best defense is a strong offense.”

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Jenvo.3578

Jenvo.3578

It’s starting to look like there was only so many people who were waiting on this event to dump cash and get rare items.

Everyone else is in game enjoying the event.

I have a suspicion that ANet predicted so many people would do this on the event launch (and before), so they nerfed the drop rates of skins in order to keep the rarity high.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Soniti.6851

Soniti.6851

I think the drop rate on these skins is far too low. Especially because they made no mention of how rare they would be. I really don’t like the idea of having to spend so much money (gold or otherwise) to get a holiday item. They should be the rewards for doing the new jumping puzzles or the scavenger hunt. Is it going to be this way for every special event? If so, you can definitely count me out.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: TheSithCode.4036

TheSithCode.4036

Extremely disappointed with the drop rate from the chests. Way to put a dark cloud over an otherwise very fun event. Hope your enjoying your money and your dissatisfied customers.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Pikafan.3792

Pikafan.3792

Different types of games, I know, but in League of Legends you were never emotionally blackmailed like this to purchase items from the cash shop/gem store.

I can’t say it’s wrong; it’s a business afterall and whatever gets the money is automatically right, but still, this is just quite depressing and desperate an act on the part of Anet.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: cherrie.8907

cherrie.8907

I love how people equate the acquisition of one cosmetic item to the quality of the entire event series, though it’s only just begun. Nice.

As to the greatsword prices, one word for you: speculation.

If you were the one who spent 50$ and got nothing, you might feel a bit different on this one.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien
“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

in Halloween Event

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

I love how people equate the acquisition of one cosmetic item to the quality of the entire event series, though it’s only just begun. Nice.

As to the greatsword prices, one word for you: speculation.

No, but when we already have the great RNG game in the form of precursor weapons people are tired of absurdly low rng chances in the game.

RNG is only fun for the people who are cashing in on it as we speak.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: ZenDad.4671

ZenDad.4671

How can anyone say a majority of players are dissatisfied?? Do you realize what small percentage of players even use the Forums?

Secondly, it’s a player’s decision to spend $50 on keys which can open 32 boxes. If they decided that after opening even 10 boxes with zero reward it was a reasonable thing to keep going, then that’s up to them, but it’s there decision based on nothing but their expectations on how it works.

The Black Lion Chests have always been random rewards, there is a chance at getting 1 of 200+ different dye colors as well, would you complain if you needed one particular dye color and opened 100 chests and never got it? Chances are no, because you realize that the chests can drop dyes, not the chest will drop a particular dye.

In the end the chests are performing just how they always have, they randomly generate rewards based on a loot table that now includes some holiday items as well. I don’t think Anet was ever thinking, these people are going to save 100 chests and the minute the event goes live they are going to spend $150 on keys and expect that they get every reward, we better make sure that happens.

In fact I wonder if any chests generated by the game prior to the event even have a chance of getting a holiday item in them. I’m not sure how the loot rules work, does the chest look at the loot table when it is dropped, or when it is unlocked, or when it is opened?

The idea was as you played during the event you could get chests, and if you opened the chest there was a chance you could get a holiday only item. That still remains true.

in Halloween Event

TehPwnerer.7215

I think the drop rate on these skins is far too low. Especially because they made no mention of how rare they would be. I really don’t like the idea of having to spend so much money (gold or otherwise) to get a holiday item. They should be the rewards for doing the new jumping puzzles or the scavenger hunt. Is it going to be this way for every special event? If so, you can definitely count me out.

Agreed. I still can’t believe how cheated I feel over this. I defend Anet so much for not being another Nexon company but here I am eating my words. I really hope they don’t _ up the Christmas event. That was my favorite GW1 event and if they make candy cane weapons a CHANCE from the chests or a store item I will be gone.

Holiday events are for fun and relaxing, not spending tons of money and ripping off other players.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: epicsmooth.7825

epicsmooth.7825

Not really, Epicsmooth. Just refer to this thread here.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/halloween/22-Chests-opened-nothing-unique/page/3#post507871

When I spend almost the price of a brand new copy of the game and get NOTHING from it, there is a problem. I am advising all of my friends and guildies not to waste their money on this or future events because of this. I am hoping that Anet does right and makes amends for this because I am not the only one that got ripped off.

Really so you didn’t get any tonics? boosts? another key? something else?

Its the same thing as crates in TF2

in Halloween Event

Posted by: PotatoOverdose.6583

PotatoOverdose.6583

A handful of people complaining on the forums. Every lion’s arch on every server in NA has been overflowing for hours with people having fun.

So much bad word of mouth is gonna happen.

in Halloween Event

Esrever.8613

this is like tf2 drop rates for unusual hats. Some hats are worth thousands of real dollars. So maybe things in this game will end up like that.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: neon.4863

neon.4863

To be honest, I’d have a hard time being respectful if I’d just dropped a lot of money on chests hoping to get at least one item since no odds were ever mentioned anywhere.

As for “it’s just luck” and “nobody made you buy keys”, there’s a big difference between going in knowing the odds are abysmal, and going in thinking chances are you’ll at least get an item or two. You can’t blame people for assuming best case scenario when the odds themselves were never revealed and the items were never implied to be rare. People have a right to be incensed when they feel they’ve been deceived.

in Halloween Event

mischwoof.9785

don’t you guys ever think that the drop rate is low because ANet wanted the item to be rare? If everyone got skins from every chest, and everyone was running around with halloween skinned weapons, wouldn’t you feel like it was less of an accomplishment to have one? seriously now :<

in Halloween Event

Posted by: proxy.3297

proxy.3297

the advertisement for skins was very misleading. most people were under the impression they would only have to open a few chests (not 50+) in order to get a skin that that is probably not even the one they wanted. fans put a lot of trust in arenanet, thinking that they were different from other companies that are just trying to nickel and dime you: it turns out that we were horribly wrong.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Akujin.3781

Akujin.3781

FYI: If you were planning on doing Black Lion Chests, DON’T!

I gave A-Net $90 and opened 90 chests (counting keys given from chests). What did that net me? Crap. XP and crap boosts and the normal stuff you get from chests, and two of the heavy-armor h’ween shoulders which look really lame. Absolute waste of money. I am not happy with A-Net for putting the drop rates THIS LOW! WTF?!! PS: I was going for the Spider Shortbow..

Lesson learned = Don’t give A-Net money. They won’t make it worth your time….

Sorry A-Net, just calling it like it is. GREAT game, otherwise.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: matt.8960

matt.8960

I’m not even that upset on the cash I dropped for the keys. I’m not even mad at ANet. I am just done because I’ve seen this kind of tactic many times before and it always, always, always leads down a dark path of hardcore cash grabbing and imbalanced in-game economies. It is what it is.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Korinth.9643

Korinth.9643

I suspect once the people having fun start in search of a permanent reminder of that fun, they’ll be much less pleased, considering it looks as though the -crafted- items are mini legendaries, themselves.

in Halloween Event

TehPwnerer.7215

don’t you guys ever think that the drop rate is low because ANet wanted the item to be rare? If everyone got skins from every chest, and everyone was running around with halloween skinned weapons, wouldn’t you feel like it was less of an accomplishment to have one? seriously now :<

Accomplishment? What? This is a holiday, this is supposed to be everyone running around in halloween costumes and having fun, not a contest to see who can win the most gold or spend the most cash on the event.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Akujin.3781

Akujin.3781

Correction: Chests = Keys…

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

Either that, or just that it’s more profitable to sell more keys…

I’m positive A’Net wanted to make the droprate low for our feeling of having something rare. Not because of the sales of keys and such.

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Glitched.5913

Glitched.5913

They will NEVER get another dime from me after this BS with the chests. I’m out some money and they are out a customer for life.

in Halloween Event

TehPwnerer.7215

You’re lucky. Some of us spent that muckittens and didn’t get anything.

in Halloween Event

epicsmooth.7825

the advertisement for skins was very misleading. most people were under the impression they would only have to open a few chests (not 50+) in order to get a skin that that is probably not even the one they wanted. fans put a lot of trust in arenanet, thinking that they were different from other companies that are just trying to nickel and dime you: it turns out that we were horribly wrong.

wait you know most people?

There is the fault right there, most of the people complaining “assumed” it. Not sure how people “assumed” it was going to be some high % of chance.

Wait wait, nickel and dime you over a “SKIN” something that doesn’t change gameplay in the least? Its like TF2 all over again now.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: proxy.3297

proxy.3297

yep, going never going to buy from their cash shop again. i usually would throw 10 bucks at it every now and then to support the game but now that i all lost all trust i am just going to gold to gem it

in Halloween Event

Posted by: lunatuna.6823

lunatuna.6823

The real missing info here is the actual odds. I may buy a scratcher now and then at the gas station even though I know it’s a long shot based on the posted odds.

I think in the absence of real info, many people had expectations of generosity set by other games, which clearly didn’t apply in this case.

in Halloween Event

mischwoof.9785

Accomplishment? What? This is a holiday, this is supposed to be everyone running around in halloween costumes and having fun, not a contest to see who can win the most gold or spend the most cash on the event.

If you wanted to run around with halloween themed items and have fun, then you would’ve spent candy corn on the skins that had a time limit on them. Or you know, do all of the other stuff in the event that allows you to run around in a halloween costume and have fun. Gambling on the Black Lion Chests is for a permanent version which people can flaunt off year round and look cool with. It makes perfect sense for the items to be rare.

in Halloween Event

TehPwnerer.7215

Yeah the expectation of generosity from GW1 was my biggest mistake. I keep telling people this isn’t WoW, this is a sequel to GW1. I’m wrong. I’m not sure what this is. It’s a mix of a few things, but someone on the inside definitely works for Nexon.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: ciboro.2634

ciboro.2634

opened 80+ chests 7k+ diamonds and got a stupid shoulder skin on like the 70’th chest that doesnt even show with the CoF chest piece on so wasted skin wasted diamonds wasted money 60$ worth of diamonds for next to nothing lol gg

in Halloween Event

mischwoof.9785

Either that, or just that it’s more profitable to sell more keys…

I’m positive A’Net wanted to make the droprate low for our feeling of having something rare. Not because of the sales of keys and such.

Why can’t it be both?

in Halloween Event

Darknass.1903

If you wanted to run around with halloween themed items and have fun, then you would’ve spent candy corn on the skins that had a time limit on them. Or you know, do all of the other stuff in the event that allows you to run around in a halloween costume and have fun. Gambling on the Black Lion Chests is for a permanent version which people can flaunt off year round and look cool with. It makes perfect sense for the items to be rare.

You can also craft permanent versions of the 4 hour trial items you get with CC/karma.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Aewyn Starfall.9406

Aewyn Starfall.9406

Guys, it’s not a guaranteed thing. You should have known that before you did it. No one made you buy the chests. So stop giving Anet any kind of flak about it. You could have just bought it from the trading post.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: neon.4863

neon.4863

(snip)

There is the fault right there, most of the people complaining “assumed” it. Not sure how people “assumed” it was going to be some high % of chance.

The same way some people assumed it was going to be a low % – they just guessed based on what they were hoping for since no concrete information was given. You can’t really blame people for guessing wrong when there was no factual information anywhere. Now, if people had misread or refused to read something somewhere (or there were past events with similarly low chances), then sure, it’d be their fault for assuming instead of checking the facts – as it is, though, people guessed because they had to guess.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: PotatoOverdose.6583

PotatoOverdose.6583

Ah, just let the people in this thread wallow in their misery.
“Woe is me, woe is me, I can’t get that one cosmetic item!”

GW1 had FoW armor, Vabbi armor, and the like which were much, much harder to get. To say nothing of Crystalline Swords. So yeah, GW1 had ‘absurd’ cosmetic items as well.

How many hundreds of ectos did a gold Crystalline Sword cost in GW1? Yeah exactly.

Reactions to this event on other media (e.g. reddit) and in game are overwhelmingly positive, so with that I’m done with this thread.

in Halloween Event

Darknass.1903

Yeah the expectation of generosity from GW1 was my biggest mistake. I keep telling people this isn’t WoW, this is a sequel to GW1. I’m wrong. I’m not sure what this is. It’s a mix of a few things, but someone on the inside definitely works for Nexon.

You still get the Halloweeny events, you still get the awesome free hats, you still get everything you got from gw1, and more! and all anyone can do is complain about the “and more” part. >_>

in Halloween Event

Posted by: UserNameDeluxe.4693

UserNameDeluxe.4693

I spent $30 on gems last month for mystic forge tokens/etc, and $40 just now for keys.
I probably would’ve spent at least $20 next month, but not now.
After this debacle I can say with 100% certainty they won’t see another dime out of me for gems.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Prothescar.7842

Prothescar.7842

Ah, just let the people in this thread wallow in their misery.
“Woe is me, woe is me, I can’t get that one cosmetic item!”

GW1 had FoW armor, Vabbi armor, and the like which were much, much harder to get. To say nothing of Crystalline Swords. So yeah, GW1 had ‘absurd’ cosmetic items as well.

How many hundreds of ectos did a gold Crystalline Sword cost in GW1? Yeah exactly.

Reactions to this event on other media (e.g. reddit) and in game are overwhelmingly positive, so with that I’m done with this thread.

Those weren’t Holiday Event items that were only obtainable for a week and meant to be for fun. Your comparison is off base and irrelevant.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Nimmi.1650

Nimmi.1650

I’d rather they given a higher drop rate and made them soul bound. Yes, everyone would have them now, but as time passes and this particular hallows eve fades away, they would have become rare. Those that kept them would have been proud to use them and remember that they were there during the first holiday event ever to be hosted in GW2. You can blame people for spending their own money, but you can’t blame them on having trust in A-net. It’s NEVER fun to lose hard earned money that you worked for in real life.

in Halloween Event

epicsmooth.7825

The same way some people assumed it was going to be a low % – they just guessed based on what they were hoping for since no concrete information was given. You can’t really blame people for guessing wrong when there was no factual information anywhere. Now, if people had misread or refused to read something somewhere (or there were past events with similarly low chances), then sure, it’d be their fault for assuming instead of checking the facts – as it is, though, people guessed because they had to guess.

Its called trends, that is what those assuming it would be low followed.