250 HP For Elites [Feedback][Merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Keikami.6247

Keikami.6247

I’m 10 points away from maxing a Tempest… now I feel like my effort has been trivialized.

On the other side of the coin you have me, sitting at home watching a movie because most of my guildies are strangely absent this week.

At least with this change I can finish my specialization on all my characters even if there is nobody around to help me.

I am sorry if it annoys some players, but at least it should bring back many of the forum warriors to the game.

#waitingonpatch

Not annoyed. Its just that my elite now feels less important and less significant than what it really was intended to be.

Posted by: Leamas.5803

Leamas.5803

But when is it going to take effect is a bigger question and how does it affect those who have not spent 250 points yet?

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

250 hp for unlocking all the elite is really nice, but what I think make this really great is the improvement in megaserver population.

Thank you very much, Anet.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Agent Noun.7350

Agent Noun.7350

I’m 10 points away from maxing a Tempest… now I feel like my effort has been trivialized.

On the other side of the coin you have me, sitting at home watching a movie because most of my guildies are strangely absent this week.

At least with this change I can finish my specialization on all my characters even if there is nobody around to help me.

I am sorry if it annoys some players, but at least it should bring back many of the forum warriors to the game.

#waitingonpatch

Not annoyed. Its just that my elite now feels less important and less significant than what it really was intended to be.

Another thing to note is that they’ve suggested Maguuma map completion will be necessary for the new HoT legendary weapons, so if you were planning on going for any of those, you were going to need to do those hero point challenges anyway.

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

Yes they stated you’d get back all HP that were overused for future use

Posted by: Decado.9304

Decado.9304

Personally I don’t think it quite low enough yet but I do appreciate that it has been revamped to be more alt/nonpver friendly. Its still a lot of work and will probably mean that I drop a few classes from my playing but at least there is a more realistic time to get these specs. I think with boosters I was looking at 160 wvw levels for a spec at 4/5 a day (I scout alot) so that should be down to 100ish which I can live with

Posted by: gaspara.4079

gaspara.4079

Elite Specialization requires the character to have maxed all other training lines before you can put any points into it, so a refund would be pointless.

Posted by: Frost.1503

Frost.1503

Thank you =)
I’M really happy for this fantastic news

Sylent.3165

But when is it going to take effect is a bigger question and how does it affect those who have not spent 250 points yet?

When? That’s a great question lol.

If you spent over 250 they will refund the difference

Posted by: Akath.2650

Akath.2650

I know that many people is excited for that, because they want their Revenant running around as Herald or even a new player/character wants their hands on the elite spec, but for those who completed Central Tyria Hero Points, 250 points means almost full elite specialization unlocked… Which means that for those who explored the Core Guild Wars 2, unlocking the elite specialization will no longer be a challenge or even feel like an accomplishment. Thanks all

Posted by: Gotchaz.7865

Gotchaz.7865

This is a good change, I had no issue with 400 if it was a one time thing but 400 on all my alts would be a pain for sure. Thanks anet

Beowulf-Defender of the JQ Realm and Warrior of the SF clan.

Posted by: Saephaan.7285

Saephaan.7285

when is this happening, i know my points will be refunded and im still extremely happy cause im a noob that worked for all points and now im so happy more people will be spec instead of complaining.
but still this hasn’t happened?
is it next week or when?

Leamas.5803

Personally, I didn’t mind the 400, but I’m also using a 3 year old toon that had over 200 spare HP, even so, I’ve been using the reaper without ideal specs (Mainly Dire gear) and still enjoying it. I still keep my staff and minions handy if I get in a pinch and need to back off. Once I get it unlocked, I’m going to at switching my gear to either Celestial or Sinister to more fully take advantage of the Reaper build and the GS. Either way, other than the 60HP to start, you don’t need the entire trait line unlocked right away to start playing and enjoying the spec. The is ANet and I’ve played this game long enough to know that nothing new comes without considerable in-game requirements.

Posted by: darkwombat.3695

darkwombat.3695

How can you overuse?

Posted by: Heather.4823

Heather.4823

YAY! Thank you!!! 400 was way too many

Siren – Aurora Glade

Sylent.3165

It shouldn’t be a challenge is the thing. It’s not elite only a name. It’s a new way to play. 400 HP for ONE traitline and 5 skills. There really is no reason it should cost more then any other traitline or skills

Keikami.6247

Another thing to note is that they’ve suggested Maguuma map completion will be necessary for the new HoT legendary weapons, so if you were planning on going for any of those, you were going to need to do those hero point challenges anyway.

It took me 2 years to build my Bifrost, which built from scratch because it just didn’t feel right to buy the precursor or the mats. To say the least, I’m pretty proud of it and the way I went about getting it. That said, I don’t know if I really want to spend another year or so farming a new one at the moment.

Map completion was already a given along with the rest of the content which I plan on enjoying.

(edited by Keikami.6247)

Posted by: Saephaan.7285

Saephaan.7285

they are refunding cause on next expac in 3 years you will need 1k hp, and if you completed all you have 500 hp invested on your class :P

Posted by: Yunielesca.2850

Yunielesca.2850

Good alt friendly decision.

Even though I’ve made my main character to the 400 points thx to the 100% exploration, which will be completely useless, I’m happy for my other characters which don’t have a lot of exploration but will still be able to get their spe

Posted by: MomentOS.2831

MomentOS.2831

I agree, suddenly my feeling of accomplishment with my Reaper is suddenly removed. Everyone and their mother will be wearing the hood I worked so hard for and overcame challenges they could not apparently. The only change I had wished for was to make the elite spec when once unlocked, account wide for those like myself with multiples of the same class.
That being said I dont blame everyone for being upset as it wasnt presented very well for everyone to understand what it was going to be required of them.

Mephasm Shadowen
[BoM] Brotherwood of the Machine
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Gotchaz.7865

Gotchaz.7865

You have to remember it’s 250 per character, it’s not like 250 unlocks all your alts as well. Sure people may get to play their favorite toons elite faster and I’m all for it. Having to grind out 400 per alt is a bit much.

Beowulf-Defender of the JQ Realm and Warrior of the SF clan.

Posted by: Veneratio.1980

Veneratio.1980

What a joke. The vocal minority win again. You should never cave to whinging babies or they will never learn and next time will do the same thing. I had a fully unlocked Herald in 18hours game play. Wasn’t hard as it was and now you’ve just trivialised it.

Posted by: Kaykero.7251

Kaykero.7251

Oh yes oh yes oh yes Heart of Thorns hype is SO back OMG OMG HRNNNNGHHH!!

In all seriosness though, thank you so much! Now I do not even care about the mastery grind, because I can at least grind them with my sexy new elite spec. Really put the fun back into the game!

Posted by: Witch of Doom.5739

Witch of Doom.5739

I hadn’t asked for this although I did think 400 was an awful lot. So thanks, ANet! Also, the improvements to the megaserver population will be much-appreciated.

Leamas.5803

It took me 2 years to build my Bifrost, which built from scratch because it just didn’t feel right to buy the precursor or the mats. To say the least, I’m pretty proud of it and the way I went about getting it. That said, I don’t know if I really want to spend another year or so farming a new one at the moment.

I would rather farm the gold and buy the PC than to waste my time on mindlessly grinding stuff through the MF. At least farming gold, the grinding is more tolerable and the results more predictable.

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

According to the wiki in base Tyria:

“There are 214 points available if you have the Krait Obelisk Shard in your home instance”

This means you still have to do some of the jungle to unlock your specialization. Sorry but I see no problem with this AT ALL.

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

It’s bullkitten. Getting the required Hero Points isn’t/wasn’t very hard to do. I’m casually playing through Heart of Thorns right now, and I’m 85% done with Warrior’s Elite Specialization. While I’m not done with it, I feel as if I’m progressing and it gives me a sense of “earning” the specialization. In fact, I was excited to bring my new Rev through it to do it again for Herald.

I swear, this is the reason we can’t have nice things in this game that makes you feel good when you’re done completing them. Such a shame.

Keikami.6247

I would rather farm the gold and buy the PC than to waste my time on mindlessly grinding stuff through the MF. At least farming gold, the grinding is more tolerable and the results more predictable.

Eh… to each their own. This is just how I decided to do it.

Posted by: XDeathShadowX.2619

XDeathShadowX.2619

This is great new! I was one of the people who thought they’d get their elite specs early on, but with so many of the hero points being gated by masteries and taking groups of people to complete the furthest I am is for reaper which I still need 50 points to get the last 2 skills. I love how reaper plays but playing it was kind of gimping yourself because when the game launched I was basically walking around with 2 traits on. Being able to do the HoT content WITH the elite spec instead of FOR it I’m all for. Any news on when this update is going to happen?

Leamas.5803

Yes, but under 250, do they do anything? Do they reward the traits up to what you’ve spent or are those HP gone?

Posted by: Unseenchaos.7036

Unseenchaos.7036

This is fantastic news. 400 points seems so distant and for some people it’s unreachable, especially if they just want to try it out. Great decision to lower the requirement and I can’t see any harm or down sides at all.

Posted by: Hawken son of Z.1367

Hawken son of Z.1367

I must say.. it felt nice to have something that felt some what difficult and time consuming to work for.. and tbh.. it only took me about 15 hours of game play to reach that goal. (full reaper spec)

I never felt like Anet treated me badly by making the Elite spec fairly difficult and time consuming to get. I was happy to put the time in.. I guess maybe this is one of the differences between my generation of gamers.. and the new generation of gamers who are used to playing games where everything is handed to them.

I guess theres no much else to say or explain. I’m disappointed Anet felt the need to cater to what I felt like where a few people per a thousand who whined about not getting their ELITE spec on day one. I disagree with your decision to change it, and I think you should be a little, not a lot, but a little ashamed of yourselfs for holding these players hands.

Copestetic.5174

According to the wiki in base Tyria:

“There are 214 points available if you have the Krait Obelisk Shard in your home instance”

This means you still have to do some of the jungle to unlock your specialization. Sorry but I see no problem with this AT ALL.

My Warrior and Guardian both had over 200 HP’s left prior to HoT ( World Completion ). It’s pathetic that to max out an ELITE specialization I have to do what? 5 Hero Challenges? lol

ArenaNet, you need to stop caving in.

Tommyknocker.6089

Yes, but under 250, do they do anything? Do they reward the traits up to what you’ve spent or are those HP gone?

If I had to guess I would say they will refund all your hero points so that thee new system can recalculate them. But as I am not a dev I can only go by past experience.

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

I think maybe they should have made it four hundred points for the first character, then 200 points for all of your alls. But I think this is fine too. Keeping it at 400 for all characters I think really was too much, so this is pretty decent.

Also, a lot of people wanted to experience the new game with elite specs at the same time, but that was very difficult to do if you had to go get all four hundred points. I was one of those people who wanted to be able to play with the full elite along with the new game content at the same time, although I did kind of white knight a little for the company, because the rudeness, toxicity, and rage with which most of the critics approached this really ticked me off as their approach seemed completely unreasonable.

That being said, overall I think this was a positive change.

Posted by: ols.4263

ols.4263

agree, elite unlock should not be done easily, game experience in the long run will suffer.

Tommyknocker.6089

Can we just stop calling them "elite specs " FKS (for kittens sake)!

They are alternate play style, they are no more elite than any other extra trait line with a new weapon. Continuing to refer to them as elite is a misnomer and propagating the fact is just getting asinine at this point. Unlocking them should be an accomplishment yes, but no more so than unlocking your other trait lines/weapons/utilities IMO.

Had to quote myself here.. if you want to call them elites so be it, but honestly they are just an alternate way to play the class otherwise you get power creep and PvP becomes VERY unbalanced.

Posted by: Lacus.8615

Lacus.8615

hahahahahaha “a few people per a thousand who whined”? Just look the increasing numbers thanking Anet for the change.

Posted by: Ansau.7326

Ansau.7326

Thank you anet for listening to your playerbase. Even 250 hero points is quite a lot, now it’s a reasonable number, specially for wvw players.

Ansau – Sylvari Mesmer – Exiled Warriors [wE] – Gandara

i7 5775c @ 4.1GHz – 12GB RAM @ 2400MHz – RX 480 @ 1390/2140MHz

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Since they specifically pointed out that a major reason for the change wasn’t because they personally felt it was too high, but because they didn’t properly communicate that it would be high to players before the fact…

I expect the next batch of E-specs to be as hard if not harder than this one, but with plenty of warning to people that you won’t be getting this day 1.

Posted by: arakkune.1429

arakkune.1429

well i played for the 400 hero points and i had my fun unlocking the elite spec the challenging way so i really feel like ive done the right thing. If other people want less and they get it i dont see the problem. What’s important is we did it the right way and that in itself is self satisfactory

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

It’s still not “easy” it comes down to time. Either an alt does all of the jungle or it does World map + some jungle. Diversity of classes is good for the game long term and it is clear elites weren’t meant to be this hard to obtain.

I’d understand the comments if it “improved” your character from a vertical progression POV, but this just gives extra options and gating it so heavily could only be detrimental to the overall experience and to the game.

Copestetic.5174

They gave HoT bad reviews on various websites ( difficulty, Elite Specializations, etc. ) made a million forum posts, and ArenaNet caved in. It’s unfortunate, but it is what it is.

Posted by: Kaykero.7251

Kaykero.7251

Yeah, stop “caving in” to people who bought your game twice, put up with your weird decisions from time to time and does not even adress the fact that HoT offers 4 new maps, some elite specs, one new class and a short story, while GW1 got a new continent, two classes, a ton of new skills, new PvP modes and an epic, full-fleshed story for the same price.

The change was nessecary. Deal with it. Maybe ask them to give players who had the elite specs already fully unlocked ( = with no life) a fancy skin that tells other people that they have no life.

Posted by: Runiir.6425

Runiir.6425

For the record, you aren’t even CLOSE to being casual if you had your spec remotely close before this.

Anyone who has gotten their elite spec…you’ve been following the trains. Hop on a new character and port in and see how it looks…VB is empty. 9 times out of 10 people are reporting zero help for HP attempts (a huge problem) and often no one actually stays to do an event because you get more exp running from event to event tagging and letting them fail then you get for staying and fighting and succeeding. It is bass ackwards.

…and seriously? 3 years and the number of armor skins we have in the expansion is…2? That’s it? NEW skins should be dropping all over as random loot. We should have 10 new armor skins per weight class for crying out loud. Less gem store items, more loot/drops. You can run around Tyria right now and get more loot than you get from anything in HoT right now…no, this doesn’t mean nerf Tyria…it means buff HoT and get to work on more bloody skins that aren’t gem shop.

Posted by: joric.1042

joric.1042

250 HP is reasonable.

Jorik Nightcloud
Beige(NUDE)
Crystal Desert

Posted by: Zaron.1987

Zaron.1987

Can we just stop calling them "elite specs " FKS (for kittens sake)!

They are alternate play style, they are no more elite than any other extra trait line with a new weapon. Continuing to refer to them as elite is a misnomer and propagating the fact is just getting asinine at this point. Unlocking them should be an accomplishment yes, but no more so than unlocking your other trait lines/weapons/utilities IMO.

Had to quote myself here.. if you want to call them elites so be it, but honestly they are just an alternate way to play the class.

This

i think it wasnt the smartest move to call it officially “elite” . people expect the wrong things cause of this name

its just another way to play . same as minion master or standard dps zerk necromancer . or would you call one of them elite? i doubt

Posted by: joric.1042

joric.1042

250 HP is reasonable.

Jorik Nightcloud
Beige(NUDE)
Crystal Desert

Posted by: Laetitia.9576

Laetitia.9576

They said they wanted to do content for more hardcore players, and now, 5 days after release they already nerf everything worth caring about. WHY :: We hat nothing to do for a year, now we have work for 5 days and you take it away anet ..

Salvia Nachtwächter
Head of “Die Nachtwächter” [NOX]
Dzagonur

Copestetic.5174

Since they specifically pointed out that a major reason for the change wasn’t because they personally felt it was too high, but because they didn’t properly communicate that it would be high to players before the fact…

I expect the next batch of E-specs to be as hard if not harder than this one, but with plenty of warning to people that you won’t be getting this day 1.

They mentioned several times people won’t be able to just go in and “master” their Elite Specialization. They did warn. People are just too kitten entitled these days. It’s that simple.