250 HP For Elites [Feedback][Merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: El Psy Congroo.7965

El Psy Congroo.7965

Totally agree with OP, there’s just no reason for me to play the new maps.

Posted by: fireflyry.7023

fireflyry.7023

Well what will casuals cry out next? Raids too hard? No problemo lets nerf it….

No need to be so overly dramatic and falsely place all the responsibility for this change on “casual” players when I saw just as many “hardcore” players and altoholics agreeing that 400 was too high, especially in-game.

If your having adventurer problems I feel bad for you son, I dodged 99 arrows till my knee took one.

Posted by: Siobhan.5273

Siobhan.5273

There is nothing difficult or challenging about time consuming content. All it requires is your patience with repeating the same content over and over until you get something. I know being patient is difficult for some of you, and that somehow makes it challenging content, but for the vast majority of us, here is a message :::

Get a life

Umm…

We do have lives, that is why it got lowered so we can enjoy the game in our down time.

You might want to check and see if your life is missing something if you can sit and grind on a game for hours on end. Eventually your parents will kick the bucket and if they know you just play games all day, they are not leaving you the house. It will be the last life lesson they can teach you, Getting a life.

Chrispy.5641 is agreeing with the change in points to a lower requirement.

No news since October 28th 2014. Question asked straight up! 473 times. 647 days and thread locked..

Posted by: Chris.3290

Chris.3290

I think ANet finally realized that we want to play the Elite Specialization IN Heart of Thorns…not AFTER.

Not to mention what this does to replay value. Not only do they give me reason to play my other characters (9 toons, one each class), but also give me reason to go back and fully explore the main game to get those HP. I can progress on my Tyria Masteries without dungeon grinding.

400 HP had me deciding that I was only going to play one character; and that was it. No replay, and me desperate for a replacement game (and my wife keeps asking me to play that “other title” with the pandas).

Instead, I will get to explore the specialties for each class, a new way to play all of them.

Best thing to happen to PvE since megaservers!

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Well what will casuals cry out next? Raids too hard? No problemo lets nerf it… It took like like 3 hours to get those 400 points what was so kitten that? I srsly hope this was very last step back thx to buckets of tears.

Not sure what expansion you’ve been playing but it wasn’t HoT.

Attachments:

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Chris.3290

Chris.3290

Well what will casuals cry out next? Raids too hard? No problemo lets nerf it… It took like like 3 hours to get those 400 points what was so kitten that? I srsly hope this was very last step back thx to buckets of tears.

Your sig says it all. Some of us don’t run dungeon speedbuilds because we actually explore and take in the game.

Posted by: Silent The Gray.3091

Silent The Gray.3091

It is ridiculously irritating to see the whiners getting catered to yet again. Whine and then Anet makes the game easier for them because these whiners are completely incapable of putting any amount of effort into anything. I hope to god this is the final step that they make to cater to these people!

Posted by: HtFde.3856

HtFde.3856

I’m rather sad that they’ve reduced it already. It’s only a few days into the expansion. A thread with a lot of responses in it does not mean it’s a majority by any stretch. Those that weren’t busy complaining on the forums were actually playing the game and have our elite specialization maxed out already (I was well over halfway before HoT).

That’s an assumption. I assume that ANet made that decison based on the feedback they got AND actual play data.

PMI – Dzagonur Rallybot :)

Posted by: Asa.3602

Asa.3602

400HP is ridiculous, each of the skills cost 15-35 points whereas the old trait skills costed 3-15. There’s nothing special about the new skills other than the fact its new. Why should players who spend $50 already for this expansion have to do 3x more work just to obtain something that is equal to the other traits?

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

agree, elite unlock should not be done easily, game experience in the long run will suffer.

I lol’d. We never had gating of the traits back in the original first year of GW2, and we still had a lot of people doing content. This will not do anything to game experience if having free traits didn’t do that back then.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Posted by: thewaterguy.4796

thewaterguy.4796

I don’t know what you guys are on about, 250 HP is a much better number, are we really bringing up the cosmetic specialzation armors losing their “prestige”? Those items have no prestige whatsoever frankly, and why should they? they aren’t legendaries or a super rare skin, they are an elite spec skin, and frankly 400 HP was annoying to get, especially for those on revenant who couldn’t grind out some HP before HoT launched, mechanical stuff shouldn’t be so hard to get, back when GW2 launched, once you hit lvl 80 you got all your traits unlocked and got to play around with them, and I liked that system

Posted by: Soon.5240

Soon.5240

Can we just stop calling them "elite specs " FKS (for kittens sake)!

They are alternate play style, they are no more elite than any other extra trait line with a new weapon. Continuing to refer to them as elite is a misnomer and propagating the fact is just getting asinine at this point. Unlocking them should be an accomplishment yes, but no more so than unlocking your other trait lines/weapons/utilities IMO.

Had to quote myself here.. if you want to call them elites so be it, but honestly they are just an alternate way to play the class.

This

i think it wasnt the smartest move to call it officially “elite” . people expect the wrong things cause of this name

its just another way to play . same as minion master or standard dps zerk necromancer . or would you call one of them elite? i doubt

I agree. All those on this post lamenting the change – and think that the new trait lines are elite – they are the ones that really need to L2P….

To me, the Scrapper is so uninspiring (and almost certainly unbalanced and buggy for the next few months) that I was reluctant to even spend money on them. The mushroom hopping and gliding? meh, If I want that, I’ll buy a Nintendo….

More people unlocking them sooner will allow Anet to get feedback sooner on what needs to be corrected, balanced, etc.

Good job Anet. Listening to the casuals with the deep pockets and who don’t have to borrow their mommy’s credit card!

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

Which is also no accomplishment if you did in 14 hours or a few days, because as many say: ’It’s not actually as challenging as people say’ So where is the accomplishment in it then if it’s no challenge?

It’s a twisty psychological game of wanting a way to feel superior. I don’t mean to talk down to hardcore players – in fact, it would be silly to do so since I have a hardcore mindset myself – but that whole dance of “it’s so easy, you guys are such whiners” and then in the same breath “I’m so amazing for doing this” are both a way to feel superior to somebody else.

Even talking down to people who somewhat got their way can be a way to feel superior.

And to reiterate, I’m not trying to invalidate the opinions of hardcore players. They are every bit as valid as the other end of the spectrum. Just commenting on the motivation behind some of the vitriol. Another of those motivations is that for some time, hardcore players have felt threatened by casual players, feeling that games are being dumbed down and made too easy.

The fear is somewhat understandable and legitimate; games as a whole are definitely more forgiving and friendly than they were in the Mario days. However, I have to wonder why anyone would cling to a game like GW2 as a bastion of hardcore play. It definitely ranks as one of the most casual experiences I’ve seen. But I think that’s why I enjoy it. I have a tendency to go hardcore and get burned out, and it’s a lot harder to get burned out with this game due to the low ceiling.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

250 means four HoT HP Challenge on top of full HP complete from core Tyria. For those of us who have done that in core Tyria, I like it. For those who instalevel a new character, it would now take 25 HoT HP Challenges Vs 40 if they don’t go back to core Tyria.

It’s … fairish. This was becoming a thorn, so to speak, in the side of the expansion launch. But for the love of the six Gods don’t back off the Mastery system.

Edit: misremembered the new HP worth.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: Mosharn.8357

Mosharn.8357

Its one of the greatest decisions. 400 was stupid steep and you pretty much had to do most of the new content and old to get something you couldn’t enjoy because you did everything. This is a valid change and really appreciated. There’s nothing negative from this so there shouldn’t be any reason to be against it.

Posted by: dkspins.4670

dkspins.4670

Thank you Anet for changing this to 250 HP. So many people were farming COF as well as WvW/EOTM to get their hero points up to world completion totals, normal Central Tyria HP does take a fair amount of time. I was loathing having to do the remaining 200HP in the new maps on 14 chars, to experience the elite specialization.

7k hr, 13k AP, 16 char, all classes 80 Sadly, 3.5k hr. Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

I totally agree. THEY SHOULD LEAVE IT AS IT IS. just because a few people kick up a stink they change it? what about all the people that were just happily playing the game. grow some balls Aent. You’ll lose my respect doing this change.

Cool beans bro! Meanwhile, they gain the respect of countless others who can now actually play the HoT content as the new subclasses.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Lythoc.6307

Lythoc.6307

250 means one HoT HP Challenge on top of full HP complete from core Tyria. For those of us who have done that in core Tyria, I like it. For those who instalevel a new character, it would now take 7 HoT HP Challenges Vs 10 if they don’t go back to core Tyria.

It’s … fairish. This was becoming a thorn, so to speak, in the side of the expansion launch. But for the love of the six Gods don’t back off the Mastery system.

Actually, you have to spend all those hero points in everything else, BEFORE you even have the chance to unlock the elite spec and start training it. So, no, it doesn’t take 7 hp challenges.

Behellagh.1468

Do we know yet if already invested HP #’s will be recalculated? Or is this just a cost decrease on stuff you have not bought yet.. moving forward?

That’s why it’s not out yet. It’s not just changing a number, it’s figuring out the easiest way to handle the points spent, refund or autofill. They are simply informing us what’s coming in the hopes to fix their PR issue. Now the discussion will be between those who didn’t mind 400 and those who did, the inevitable “250 is still too high” and the question of when will this hit.

It’s a heads up that they heard the playerbase and changes are coming. Just not when.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

This is a good decision by Anet. Particularly for those customers just buying into the Franchise and starting with 0 Hero points altogether on a new account with no insta 20 and no tomes.

People need to look at the head start on having existing Hero points as a veterans reward, and look at a lot bigger picture. 250 is a good compromise for everyone.

I’m still mad at them, Anet, for the treatment of Non HoT guilds and the 180 turn in design philosophy, but I can applaud them for a good decision. Still not buying HoT though.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

(edited by Teofa Tsavo.9863)

Posted by: MrH.2591

MrH.2591

ITT: I’m no longer a special snowflake because others will soon have their elite spec and this upsets me.

(edited by MrH.2591)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The cost reduction was undoubtedly a compromise solution. However, it’s created both a precedent and a problem. The precedent is obvious. Elite Specs cost 250 HP. The problem is that there are around 400 possible points in HoT. Anyone who maxes that out is going to have the points to unlock the next ESpec with no investment in expansion HC’s. This can even out over time, as the next XPac need not have so many HC’s, so this issue may only be for he next one.

Was this a bad decision? I’m not really sure. I think the bad decisions took place earlier in development. Transparency from the beginning about the intent that ESpecs would be progression rewards in the new content, not immediate unlocks would have prepared the player base for this idea. A large part of the reaction was disappointment caused by allowing people to believe for 98% of the waiting time for HoT that ESpecs would be immediate unlocks for those who scored base game HC’s.

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Who is “crying” today? Karma. Not just a game currency.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

agree, elite unlock should not be done easily, game experience in the long run will suffer.

What do you base that argument on? There is literally no information anywhere that suggest that will happen.

Posted by: Barzhal.2640

Barzhal.2640

Very bad decision. Wish I had known, I wouldn’t have put in all the effort to get hp the last few days. Once again Anet caves to the whiners. This isn’t walmart, just because you bought the game doesn’t mean you should insta-get everything. It would be nice if elite actually meant you earned it.

Posted by: Canakun.8031

Canakun.8031

It shouldn’t be a challenge is the thing. It’s not elite only a name. It’s a new way to play. 400 HP for ONE traitline and 5 skills. There really is no reason it should cost more then any other traitline or skills

There’s plenty of reason. It’s an elite specialization, not a core specialization. It completely changes class mechanics. It should be earned.

Mamorou Itou Defense Club.
Protect him at all costs.

Posted by: Mahou.3924

Mahou.3924

Sorry kitten “warriors” that your so-called sense of accomplishment got just flushed down the toilet, but as usual you simply failed to realise the core point of the whole deal. There’s nothing wrong with wanting to experience the majority of the xpac with the new specs, instead of only the last quarter or at whichever point you usually reach 400 HPs.
I would actually feel a bit sorry for you if most of you guys wouldn’t have portrayed some kitten attitude. Most opening statement of the “400 HPs r fine lolz” threads started out fine, objective and well-mannered, but as if it couldn’t be resisted those posters just had to add some flamebait catchphrases at the end which ruined the whole preface of a “normal” debate (not saying that all complainers had been the perfect example of how to discuss!) and people’s inital impression of the topic creator.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

They said they wanted to do content for more hardcore players, and now, 5 days after release they already nerf everything worth caring about. WHY :: We hat nothing to do for a year, now we have work for 5 days and you take it away anet ..

The “work” that you’ve done has not been taken away. You still have all of the HP you earned. How hardcore was running around the jungle in a herd farming HP? Truly epic, I’m sure.

The true harder content in HoT is still incoming. Where it should be. In instances.

Posted by: Halo Bond.7302

Halo Bond.7302

If the “kittenstorm community” wins, what will we get next ? ….. more kittenstorm !

MrH.2591

3 hours? You’re adorable.

Posted by: Pezz.4758

Pezz.4758

commenting just to say THANK YOU
that is all

oh and pickles.

seriously thank you

for pickles

and the HP thing

but

mostly pickles

THANKS!

Posted by: Barzhal.2640

Barzhal.2640

I disagree with the change as well, but I guess challenging content doesn’t sell as well as “here you go

And yes my guess is mastery points will be next to nerf. Better stop farming now because I know the day I hit 161 they’ll lower the max to 22.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

I dunno. I was fine with 400, and I’m fine with 250. I think it’s a reasonable decision and will make people more satisfied in the long run. I also think sticking with 400 would have been reasonable, but it is what it is.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

I must say.. it felt nice to have something that felt some what difficult and time consuming to work for.. and tbh.. it only took me about 15 hours of game play to reach that goal. (full reaper spec)

So what about masteries then?

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

ITT: I’m no longer a special snowflake because others will soon have their elite spec and this upsets me.

I can never understand why people seem to dislike snowflakes so much.

Posted by: Ice.5162

Ice.5162

Bad decision, just bad. Sad when a company has to listen to a handful of whiners on forums.

The rest of the hero points won’t feel half as accomplished or important, if only for the map completion.

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

This is good for both hardcore and casuals alike, first, people who did world completion, or near world completion are more rewarded for having done and completed original content. Second, 250 is a much more manageable number. Hero points in vanilla still only give one point, but are vastly easier compared to the ones in magumma. Essentially, it will be easier, but take longer if you want to do it in vanilla, but will be shorter if you do the ones in maguuma. Essentially it gives a way to earn the elite specs for casual, newbies, vets, and hardcore people alike.

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

MrH.2591

I’m sad at how many people are upset simply because others will now get their elite specs a little faster, our happiness should not cause you pain.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

250 means one HoT HP Challenge on top of full HP complete from core Tyria. For those of us who have done that in core Tyria, I like it. For those who instalevel a new character, it would now take 7 HoT HP Challenges Vs 10 if they don’t go back to core Tyria.

You get around just enough to unlock your base class by leveling.

My necro was tomed to 80 and she doesn’t have enough points on her to even unlock the start of the elite spec by a large amount.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

According to the wiki in base Tyria:

“There are 214 points available if you have the Krait Obelisk Shard in your home instance”

This means you still have to do some of the jungle to unlock your specialization. Sorry but I see no problem with this AT ALL.

My Warrior and Guardian both had over 200 HP’s left prior to HoT ( World Completion ). It’s pathetic that to max out an ELITE specialization I have to do what? 5 Hero Challenges? lol

ArenaNet, you need to stop caving in.

No they don’t they need to remember that the vast majority of players are casual. 1%ers are called that for a reason.

Its not pathetic that you only have to do 5 hero challenges in HOT on toons that you’ve got world completion because you’ve done a lot of work to get that far and this is where you get rewarded for it. What about revenants though and other alts without world completion?

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Behellagh.1468

Actually, you have to spend all those hero points in everything else, BEFORE you even have the chance to unlock the elite spec and start training it. So, no, it doesn’t take 7 hp challenges.

No. You get enough HP from leveling to unlock everything on your character including the original 5 specializations. So you start with 0 going into HoT if you haven’t done any HP Challenges in core Tyria. HPCs in Hot are 40 points each so 250 divided by 10 is 25.

Edit: Fixed HoT HPC reward. Some reason I thought it was 40 (I know 400 divided by 10 is 40).

RIP City of Heroes

MrH.2591

No. You get enough HP from leveling to unlock everything on your character including the original 5 specializations. So you start with 0 going into HoT if you haven’t done any HP Challenges in core Tyria. HPCs in Hot are 40 points each so 250 divided by 40 is 6 and change so round up to 7.

10, not 30. It’ll take 25.

Behellagh.1468

Bad decision, just bad. Sad when a company has to listen to a handful of whiners on forums.

The rest of the hero points won’t feel half as accomplished or important, if only for the map completion.

We live in an age of social media where a few upset people can spread falsehoods that can’t amplified by liked minds and soon those who don’t know better join in.

The result is in a few weeks the conversation will change to “HoT isn’t worth the cost because I unlocked everything to quickly”.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

Do we know yet if already invested HP #’s will be recalculated? Or is this just a cost decrease on stuff you have not bought yet.. moving forward?

you’ll get refunded they said

MrH.2591

We live in an age of social media where a few upset people can spread falsehoods that can’t amplified by liked minds and soon those who don’t know better join in.

The result is in a few weeks the conversation will change to “HoT isn’t worth the cost because I unlocked everything to quickly”.

" A few ", that’s cute. Casual players are the majority in most MMOs, especially GW2 so you can bet your hide more people are for this change than against.

Behellagh.1468

Duh, your right. No idea how 40 got stuck in my brain. Fixing.

Edit: I remembered it would take 40 HPCs in HoT. Somehow that got translated into 40 HP for each HPC.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: SongOfDestruction.2984

SongOfDestruction.2984

Bear in mind that there are only 400 hero points available in all of maguuma. If they left it at 400, a new character would literally have to map comp all of maguuma (the hero points at least) in order to unlock their elite spec.
You don’t think thats just a BIT excessive?

Posted by: Soon.5240

Soon.5240

Totally agree with OP, there’s just no reason for me to play the new maps.

No need for me to play the expansion maps now?!! Wonderful!! Now I can play Guild Wars 2 — and not the platform-Nintendo-jump-puzzle-grind-fest that is the expansion!

Now I can use my <<ahem>> ‘elite’ trait in WvW – which is all I really care about anyway.

Posted by: HtFde.3856

HtFde.3856

Giggles – yeah – we already have those die-hard-haven’t-seen-fresh-air-the-last-11-months types who have them unlocked. THOSE are the ones complaining most loudly because they feel less … über … now. For those the “worth the cost” thing is already over according to your … logic. Joe Sixpack will still have to do A LOT of work for those 250 points …

PMI – Dzagonur Rallybot :)

Posted by: DeathPanel.8362

DeathPanel.8362

I know that many people is excited for that, because they want their Revenant running around as Herald or even a new player/character wants their hands on the elite spec, but for those who completed Central Tyria Hero Points, 250 points means almost full elite specialization unlocked… Which means that for those who explored the Core Guild Wars 2, unlocking the elite specialization will no longer be a challenge or even feel like an accomplishment. Thanks all

You’re perfectly free to only unlock your stuff when you get to 400 points. You don’t get to decide what other people prefer.

It’s like if you said you’d rather work 80 hours a week but instead of choosing to work 80 hours yourself you want to change the law to require everyone to work 80 hours a week.

I have 27 characters. Even at 250 points it will take me forever.