HoT Price Feedback + Base game included [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Rylen.2147

Rylen.2147

Your whining is an example to us all Rylen, I am sure it will motivate us all to continue whining about things we care about, just like you.

I’m not whining, my post was to get people to stop whining by seeing that the price is reasonable and there is no need for QQ

In itself is is whining, you are no better than those you complain about.

Then why sir are you whining about me whining about whining? Seems like a waste of your time tbh

Posted by: Linnael.1069

Linnael.1069

Information changes. Before they announced pre-purchase, the assumption was that you’d have to buy them separately. After the announcement, the base game is free and the expansion comes with it (for players who don’t have it already). For players who have the base game, the expansion is all they get for $50 (which is standard pricing for expansions these days).

Look at the cache…they changed the FAQ mere hours before announcing preorders. It’s a bait-and-switch.

That … is not a bait-and-switch.

A bait and switch would be saying that buying the expansion gives the core game (for players who don’t already have it) and not giving it to them when they actually buy it. A bait and switch would be saying they’re giving a free character slot for the $75 edition, but not actually giving it when bought.

A bait and switch would be promising something that’s set in stone, and not delivering. The FAQ change is something that wasn’t set in stone. It’s obvious that the core game is needed to play the expansion, so the previous FAQ reflected that. The new FAQ reflects the change (the fact that the FAQ changed hours before the announcement doesn’t matter – it just means people weren’t combing the FAQs to predict that buying HoT would include the core game) when they announced the pre-purchase: buying the expansion gives you the base game for free (for new players).

Plain and simple.

Semantics. It’s false advertising. You’re naive if you think anything related to marketing and PR goes through or stays live on the internet without serious considerations.

I’m also guessing you didn’t read through the whole thread, where if you had followed the links you would have seen that the change wasn’t made until after a forum thread had been up complaining about the discrepancy for a good hour before the changes occured. I linked it once but I’ll do it again. https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/From-the-Heart-of-Thorns-Q-A-Page/first#post5157198

The fact that this thread and all responses on it are timestamped hours after the presentation ended and obviously referring to the live at that point in time version of the page should make it obvious that the change was not conducted until after the discrepancy was called out and flamed, and was only conducted as a cheap response to the situation.

Also I’m seeing this thread get kind of off topic. This isn’t even really about the price. It’s about how scummy the marketing here was. Let’s keep the attention there and not get bogged down with subjectives about worth.

Stormbluff Isle – Syliara
Elementalist – Necromancer – Warrior

(edited by Linnael.1069)

Posted by: Krunk Juice.5216

Krunk Juice.5216

LOL they absolutely just edited the FAQ. This is what it said before:

“Q: Do I have to own Guild Wars 2 to play the expansion?
A: Yes. Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns is an expansion to Guild Wars 2 and not a stand-alone campaign, and therefore it requires the base game to play.”

How long until we start talking about a bait-and-switch?

Screenshots

Waybackmachine

Y U DO DIS ANET.

Attachments:

Posted by: Leo.6817

Leo.6817

The fact you think this is all about ‘price’ pretty much suggests you didn’t read anything just skimmed over the topic titles and decided to make a topic.

Well done.

Then why don’t you explain what this is REALLY about?

Why don’t you go take the time and read before creating a new topic? Seems more of a constructive thing to do than me wasting my personal time in order to bring you up to speed? Pick any of the topic and actually read the points being made, pretty sure you don’t need me to hold your hand for that?

Posted by: Trajan.4953

Trajan.4953

It is not forcing you to re-buy the game, it is simply bundling the original in with the X-Pac, something WoW never did.

Believe it or not this is not A-Net trying to mess with you but simply a value added content for new players.

CCCP….

Posted by: Gray.9041

Gray.9041

The fact you think this is all about ‘price’ pretty much suggests you didn’t read anything just skimmed over the topic titles and decided to make a topic.

Well done.

the fact that upgrading your account literally gives you less than starting a new HoT-upgraded account, despite costing the same.

the fact that the HoT FAQ – and frequent sales – have been causing people to buy the base game for the past few months, causing players to think they would have to buy the base game separately, and then offering the base game free – meaning that many of those who bought the game since HoT was released have been mislead.

the fact that Anet has been altering these FAQs in order to cover this up.

the fact that they claim the standard addition is HoT with a free copy of GW2, not a bundle, but they give you one code which works as a bundle, rather than one code for HoT and one “free” code for GW2.

take your pick, and these are just the things I’ve seen.

Posted by: Kentaine.4692

Kentaine.4692

Save your money and buy Witcher 3. THAT game is worth $50, and you get to play it now.

Yes, pay $50 for a game that actually ends after, what.. 60 hours?

How many thousands of hours have you gotten out of GW2?

I paid $40 bucks for spore… I’ve probably played that as much as GW2 to be honest and its expansion was $20 and added about as much content as I’m expecting in GW2 by what I’ve seen thus far. Sure it was buggy as hell, and did very little to appease the Spore veterans but that’s what HoT is looking like and Spore’s servers (still going mind you) are emptier than Bloodstone Fen in GW1.

Then again, I’m more of a casual and not a farmer so I haven’t even logged 1,500 hours yet in three years.

$60 is what I pay for the full game. And GW2 came with 5 character slots, a massive continent, and a functioning gem store (that a lot of people have obviously been paying into otherwise GW2 would have gone under two years ago)… a character slot is $10, so why am I not getting even ONE character slot with less than a quarter the content that GW2’s core had? Why is ANYONE okay with this?

So much of this could have been worked around too. Great, buy HoT and get an account if you are a new player, woopie! But what would have worked just as easily would have been make GW2 core permanently $10 and charge $40 for HoT. If I were in charge of marketing, I’d probably be fired if I made the decision to link the two and charge our already existing customers extra because it’s easier for new accounts.

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

Guys can you chill for a sec and think about this? Yah the prices are high. Yeah your not getting a character slot for 50$. But has anyone thought on buying the game with Ingame currency, I think most of you have loads of gold already specialy veterans as myself, yeah new players are a bit left out on this but by the time they finish the core game content they and us could just farm the game and buy it out in the gemstore and you do not have to pay a dime for it. Have anyone figured this is feasible??! What I see is this: 1. incomers pay the game for 50$ you get the expansion and the base game, 2. people that just bought the game few days ago , play the game learn to master it , buy the expansion thru the gemstore. 3. Veterans, you guy probably have loads of gold by now ,so why not buy the game thru the gemstore instead of 50$? And those that doesnt have the necesarry gold yet, just go farming there’s plenty of time before the expansion release. Before go ranting at me hear this , the expansion is somewhat free if you just play the game and its content. And if you dont want to farm then stop playing the game already, all end game content is about farming anyway. For those that knows what im talking about good luck farming and have your music its going to be a long ride.

I will use gold->gems if they make it an option. So far it’s not an option. The expansion isn’t in the gem store.

Posted by: InfinitytheSoulWarden.5963

InfinitytheSoulWarden.5963

The only arguments supporting the price ive seen is
1. $50 is standard for MMO DLC
2. $50 is not that much
seriously those are the only 2 arguments and are easily beaten back by arguing logic.

Soul Warden of Echo of Enclayd
~Infinity Warden

Posted by: CodeHavoc.7926

CodeHavoc.7926

They have A LOT to go for charging $50 and not have the player base question that. I just bought the FFXIV expansion for $39.99 and I know just about EVERYTHING that’s going to be in it. GW2? Very little. What are we getting exactly for $50 is the question? New maps, how big ae they exactly? New class, the Revenant. Don’t know how it works yet. A “subclass” rework in the form of Elite Specializations, most we haven’t seen yet. A new WvW borderlands map, don’t know how it works. Guild Halls. That’s it. yay. Still no word on this “challenging content.” Did I miss something? I’m not going into whether which expack will deliver more, but jeez.

Necro Jesus is a thing apparently
The Zerker Bunker meta is the biggest bug in the game

(edited by CodeHavoc.7926)

Posted by: Aeon.4583

Aeon.4583

Ok, my last comment was reasonable, but now… I have base-game already, i will re-buy it, what will i get?

Precursor craft? – I am not planning to make legendary, i enjoy game itself without showing people shinies. Anyway i have Sunless Dagger + Pistol skin set, this is more pricy than any legendary for me. Will arena.net give me all other sunless skins that i am missing for free, as a gift from -rebuying core game? Think not.

Elite specialization? – I enjoy my thief with D\D P\P in PvE ( well and some other combo in PvP ) I really won’t be using any other weapon sets paying 50$ for something i won’t use ( i don’t even know what Thief’s elite spec is all about).

Revenant? – yes i will make one just for curiosity, but that character won’t be my primary, – so it is kinda wasted, again paying almost for nothing.

New story\zones? – Well maybe this is something i should pay for but not 50$, only if New Maguuma zones will be equal to basic-game map and story line will be as long as base-core game, maybe even more longer. Tooks one day no finish original story with insta-level new character ( knowledge books ).

New items\skins? – I won’t change any of my current gear ever! It is a pefrect Aeon Illuminate cosplay!

In other words, new expansion will slightly improve my game play. 50$ too much.

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

I’ll have you all know I only paid $10.25 in taxes for the game when GW 2 came out and was pre-purchaseable.

I traded in a lot of games to game stop and also had $5 down a year before launch.

So I paid even less than $30 or 40. If we had no taxes on games, it would be free!

I just don’t need to be wasting money on a second core copy in the expansion.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Rylen.2147

2. $50 is not that much
seriously those are the only 2 arguments and are easily beaten back by arguing logic.

The problem is that people are complaining about the “free core copy”, not the price

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

This is only talking about people that bought the irigional game recently and then got the expansion

ArenaNet has a standard refund policy. Simply contact support if you’ve purchased the game within the last month and want a refund.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

I’m wondering if any of the naysayers have ever played an MMO before, or dealt with DLC.

Calm down.

I have. EvE charged nothing for it’s expansions and FF14’s upcoming xpac is only $40 with what looks to be more to play with compared to what we know as facts about HoT’s content.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Rylen.2147

I would gladly pay $50 if the core game was removed from the purchase

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

2. $50 is not that much

Let’s add a third argument to that list then… ArenaNet and by extension NCSoft are businesses responsible first and foremost to their shareholders (and people who want to argue semantics, ANet is a subsidiary of NCSoft) and if you think for a second it is solely on ArenaNet’s discretion on how the Expansion Pack is priced and sold you are most likely pretty far off the mark.

Posted by: ArrogantHero.4965

ArrogantHero.4965

The price IS fine. I buy games for the same price as GW2 and they have no where near as much content. For example, God of War, Uncharted, Tomb Raider, are just a few. I spent $60 on them and beat them in a few days. If I can spend $60 on an a 10 hour game I certainly can’t complain about $60 for a game that will add months of content.

Posted by: dietzero.3514

dietzero.3514

That statement about the ‘free’ core game is an obvious PR spin. This expansion does not have nearly enough content to justify the $50 price tag.

Posted by: neven.3785

neven.3785

A lot of people complaining because they are simply greedy. While i was hoping for a character slot with the base package, it is their prerogative to choose what to include in their package. I have played this game since launch almost every day. Not a single cent to a subscription fee. WoW had 4-5 years of me playing two subscription fees, so there is a massive cost savings to me. As an avid player of real mmorpgs for the past decade, i expected this price range for an expansion.

So taking the fair price point fact, lets now include the “core included” issue people seem to be having. We play MMOs, you need people to play with, especially in wvw. Including core game into their base cost was a brilliant move to capitalize on the expac marketing to bring new people in. A new player being drawn into an MMO when theres an expansion or two to buy to get the current content sees that huge cost hurdle as a deterrent, they will usually settle on the newest game instead. The argument that you already paid for it is a moot point, you dont get retroactive refunds for price reductions in old games and you shouldn’t expect the value of new content to be lowered because you feel a sense of entitlement.

Also a game dev doesn’t care if you cant afford it. Have a few less starbucks drinks then take another look at the cost. I live in canada, the expansion isn’t cheap for me either, deluxe cost me $95 after exchange, plus my wife’s copy too. Now for my son’s account, he will need to pay for it himself, or he will need to earn it for me to buy his copy. At the end of the day, i will get my money’s worth out of the game, even if i don’t play it for another 3 years, it will still give me lots of hours of entertainment, and be cheaper than most other forms of entertainment.

Posted by: Zappix.7928

Zappix.7928

2. $50 is not that much

Let’s add a third argument to that list then… ArenaNet and by extension NCSoft are businesses responsible first and foremost to their shareholders (and people who want to argue semantics, ANet is a subsidiary of NCSoft) and if you think for a second it is solely on ArenaNet’s discretion on how the Expansion Pack is priced and sold you are most likely pretty far off the mark.

And this foolish move along with shafting the Vet players has most likely cost them and the share holders $$$$$$$$.

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

Yea I’m not buying it for $50 either. I bought it for $99 and got 4000 gems and other goodies. After playing for over 2 years, play for many many hours per day and still having fun, I’m looking forward to the future of this game!!

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

Posted by: MoonStoneX.9245

MoonStoneX.9245

People are confusing something here. You are not paying $50 for both the Expansion and the Core game. The Expansion itself is $50 ( I know its overpriced but that’s my opinion), BUT you get both the Expansion and the Core Game (for “Free”) if you buy Heart of Thorns on a new account.

Posted by: WatchTheShow.7203

WatchTheShow.7203

You’re all acting ridiculous. WoW is $15.00 per month just to play the game and every expansion is $50.00 base and $70.00 deluxe. WoW has had at least 4 expansions so if you can count, that’s $200.00 in expansions alone, not including the base price of the game which is $20. WoW expansions include: The Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King, Cataclysm, and Mists of Pandaria. Right now if you bought WoW for $20.00 and the newest expansion it would cost you $70.00 at minimum. Anet is well within a reasonable price range on their expansion.

Don’t believe me? Here is proof:
Don’t forget to read the “subscription required” at the bottom.

https://us.battle.net/shop/en/product/world-of-warcraft-warlords-of-draenor

(edited by WatchTheShow.7203)

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I don’t care about the free base game being included. I do resent that they’re not including a new character slot with the $50 version to go with the new class they’re adding.

Posted by: Linnael.1069

Linnael.1069

2. $50 is not that much

And this foolish move along with shafting the Vet players has most likely cost them and the share holders $$$$$$$$.

Don’t bother arguing the price at all. Worth is subjective, the crazy shadow business nature of the marketing is not.

Stormbluff Isle – Syliara
Elementalist – Necromancer – Warrior

Posted by: Uproller.1849

Uproller.1849

Pre-orders are killing the industry as a whole – stop doing it

Rylen.2147

I don’t care about the free base game being included. I do resent that they’re not including a new character slot with the $50 version to go with the new class they’re adding.

Start farming gold to buy yourself a FREE character slot

Omg so hard Ikr?

But with out the core copy the DLC is not worth $50. Thats what im trying to say!
It isnt worth $50 as long as there is less content then the core game!

It would be like going to McDonalds and saying

“I’d like a large fry meal with a side of a big mac”

you dont buy the side as the main course and vice versa

~Infinity Warden

Posted by: AivenPrimus.9184

AivenPrimus.9184

I freaking knew this would eventually happen… the ‘’EA Syndrome’’

If you are freaking telling me that I have to pay 45 EUR to UPGRADE to HoT…
+
This Bomb of the year… ’’whoever already got Core game…well kitten you, because with this code you can make an account with BOTH Core game AND HoT expanssion.

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

Same! Other wise, its really 30 bucks and 20 bucks added on for the “free” core game we are getting if we didn’t already have it!

Nothing is life really free people! There is always a hidden cost.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Posted by: upsdn.5426

upsdn.5426

The Expansion is applied to your account you already have, you needn’t a second account.
The Pricing on the game is irrelevant in terms of the Vanilla game being included FOR FREE. with or without the game included the Expansion pack is $50.

Please stop complaining over a cup of milk half empty. Or at the very least explain with real factual reason why it upsets you, I’m more then willing to put a word in to the developers. but not your constant banter.

Please stop complaining about people complaining. “Constant banter” is hardly something to tell people to stop doing on a forum.

Rylen.2147

Yea I’m not buying it for $50 either. I bought it for $99 and got 4000 gems and other goodies. After playing for over 2 years, play for many many hours per day and still having fun, I’m looking forward to the future of this game!!

You won’t buy it for $50 but you will for $100… As Shakespeare once wrote, “false logic!”

Omg so hard Ikr?

Not everyone can no life it to afford that

claps for you since it seems like you can

~Infinity Warden

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Omg so hard Ikr?

I have enough gold to buy my character slots up to the limit. It’s about the principle. It makes the purchase look unattractive.

Posted by: Fenrina.2954

Fenrina.2954

People are confusing something here. You are not paying $50 for both the Expansion and the Core game. The Expansion itself is $50 ( I know its overpriced but that’s my opinion), BUT you get both the Expansion and the Core Game (for “Free”) if you buy Heart of Thorns on a new account.

It’s not confusion. People are seeing that and see it as anet including the base game as an excuse to charge that much for the expansion. Edit: In other words, they’re seeing it as a red flag.

Posted by: Vagrant.7206

Vagrant.7206

Well done.

Why don’t you go take the time and read before creating a new topic? Seems more of a constructive thing to do than me wasting my personal time in order to bring you up to speed? Pick any of the topic and actually read the points being made, pretty sure you don’t need me to hold your hand for that?

The points being made most often pertain to the perceived value of the good being sold. Sure, there are complaints about longstanding issues, but the vast majority of complaints are about perceived value of the game (expectations vs. reality). I am attempting to address this by pointing out that perceived value =/= real value, and the only way to know real value is to wait until HoT launches and the reviews come in.

the fact that upgrading your account literally gives you less than starting a new HoT-upgraded account, despite costing the same.

The official explanation is to lower barrier of entry into the game. This is a legitimate point to be made — the more expansions that are tacked onto a game, the less likely a game is to attract new players as the price rises. An obvious example is Steam’s Rail Simulator, which, when all the DLC is added up, comes to a value of more than $2000.

http://kotaku.com/to-buy-all-of-this-games-dlc-youll-need-over-2-000-1412153921
http://store.steampowered.com/app/24010/

An elevated price tag (along with the extra hoops of installation and patching and then repeating for the expansion) reduces the amount of new players coming into Guild Wars. While your perceived value is lowered because you aren’t receiving a new account, the value of HoT has not actually changed. The value of the expansion has merely increased for new players, not decreased for you.

the fact that the HoT FAQ – and frequent sales – have been causing people to buy the base game for the past few months, causing players to think they would have to buy the base game separately, and then offering the base game free – meaning that many of those who bought the game since HoT was released have been mislead.

This is a legitimate concern. I do agree with your point here. This is why I suggest to people to not do anything until they have more concrete information, which ANet hasn’t been very forthcoming about.

the fact that Anet has been altering these FAQs in order to cover this up.

Hanlon’s Razor applies here:

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

I suspect that ArenaNet is making things up as they go along, instead of pre-planning, and the result is several botches. They should get their act together, or they may face actual legal challenges.

the fact that they claim the standard addition is HoT with a free copy of GW2, not a bundle, but they give you one code which works as a bundle, rather than one code for HoT and one “free” code for GW2.

Again, this is about lowering barrier to entry to new players, making new players jump through fewer hoops. Wait for more information about the possibility of an “upgrade.”

The great god Lagki demands sacrifice.

(edited by Vagrant.7206)

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

It might, but you don’t know that and neither do I…. the forums represent a small subset of the community, now if this subset represents the community as a whole then I don’t argue on the subject. However, ultimately only ArenaNet and NCSoft known how HoT is selling and/or if this community outcry is a vocal minority or something to actually pay attention to.

Posted by: SleepingDragon.1596

SleepingDragon.1596

Why not allow us all to buy HOT contents for GEMS instead? Let’s make this fair for all.

-S o S-

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

You’re all acting ridiculous. WoW is $15.00 per month just to play the game and every expansion is $50.00 base and $70.00 deluxe. WoW has had at least 4 expansions so if you can count, that’s $200.00 in expansions alone, not including the base price of the game which is $20. WoW expansions include: The Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King, Cataclysm, and Mists of Pandaria. Right now if you bought WoW for $20.00 and the newest expansion it would cost you $70.00 at minimum. Anet is well within a reasonable price range on their expansion.

Don’t believe me? Here is proof:
Don’t forget to read the “subscription required” at the bottom.

https://us.battle.net/shop/en/product/world-of-warcraft-warlords-of-draenor

I’ve always considered WoW extremely overpriced due to the monthly sub so I don’t see how that helps.

Posted by: Manijin.3428

Manijin.3428

I don’t mind new players getting a free copy of the game. However, the content that ANet has shown to us simply does not justify $50. When we bought GW2, the promise was that we were buying a complete game to play, and what they have shown us simply does not look like a complete game, or at least that much worth of content. We’ve shown, as a community, that we’re willing to spend money on continuous updates and new skins and conveniences, and have done our job supporting our devs.

I’ll be happy to pay $50 for the XPac, as long as ANet proves I’m getting $50 in value. Tell me how much story I’m getting. Tell me how much new world I’ll get to explore. Tell me SOMETHING more than “You get way less than GW2, for the same price.”

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

I think a lot of people are mad because of the core game, but listen. Are you mad when the game goes on sale for 10$ and you bought the game at launch for 60 dollars? If you are not mad about that then you should be mad about this either.

50$ isn’t expensive in between, let’s look at wow/ff14. one and half year per expansion it’s 15$x18month+50$=240$ you are paying for the game. Gw2 is nothing compare to it, even they did not show us all the content yet, but from what they showed us feature wise, I would say it is well worth it.

Think it through before you post thread/comments complain. If you think this is expansive, man you sure never played wow before.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Posted by: Feirlista Xv.1425

Feirlista Xv.1425

They have A LOT to go for charging $50 and not have the player base question that. I just bought the FFXIV expansion for $39.99 and I know just about EVERYTHING that’s going to be in it. GW2? Very little. What are we getting exactly for $50 is the question? New maps, how big ae they exactly? New class, the Revenant. Don’t know how it works yet. A “subclass” rework in the form of Elite Specializations, most we haven’t seen yet. A new WvW borderlands map, don’t know how it works. Guild Halls. That’s it. yay. Still no word on this “challenging content.” Did I miss something? I’m not going into whether which expack will deliver more, but jeez.

Did you watch the E3 live stream on guild halls today it most likely on YouTube by now go check it out the guild hall stuff alone I would pay $50 for it is more the I or most people expected it is fantisic

Opinions are like ______ everyone has one I could
put the correct term in but not everyone has kittens

Posted by: Criminal.5627

Criminal.5627

if it did not come with 1 char slot… yeah I still would have a hard time justifying it.

Giant spiders of the world are just misunderstood creatures, they love to snuggle too.

Posted by: Deth.4109

Deth.4109

the core game is not part of the purchase and you are helping spread misinformation. please sir I implore you to use your reading comprehension skills and ability to understand contextual clues its not quite for people to be parroting something about the game that is simply not true and creating discord within the community.

Posted by: Captain Guthix.8320

Captain Guthix.8320

So not only have you changed the text on the FAQ page (check other forum threads), but now we have to pay another $50? Let’s say I already have the game and I bought it for the normal price (I believe is $50 as well). Now I have to buy the expansion for the same price as the core game. This totals up to $100. But for the players who buy the game after the expansion? They pay only $50 for the expansion AND the game. This actually annoys me. If we already have the game, we should get a free character slot or some gems. Something to make it fair. I really hope you think this through, ANet.

Posted by: Selene.9415

Selene.9415

Just here to throw my voice into this.

I was willing to pay $50 for an expansion (although it will already be ~$60 since I’m Canadian). I feel like the content we’re being given will give me more than my moneys worth as far as that goes. I’ve certainly gotten more than my moneys worth of enjoyment from my digital deluxe pre-purchase back in 2012.

What I cannot agree with however, is not having a character slot included in the $50 purchase option. Revenant has been advertised as one of the major selling points of this expansion, but if we don’t have any character slots we have to pay for both the expansion and a character slot to experience it. If I’m paying for the expansion, to access the expansion’s content, I should not have to go through another charge to access content I’ve (hypothetically) already paid for. It’s an underhanded business practice and something that I would not have expected from Arenanet.

Posted by: Rashy.4165

Rashy.4165

Semantics. It’s false advertising. You’re naive if you think anything related to marketing and PR goes through or stays live on the internet without serious considerations.

I’m also guessing you didn’t read through the whole thread, where if you had followed the links you would have seen that the change wasn’t made until after a forum thread had been up complaining about the discrepancy for a good hour before the changes occured. I linked it once but I’ll do it again. https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/From-the-Heart-of-Thorns-Q-A-Page/first#post5157198

The fact that this thread and all responses on it are timestamped hours after the presentation ended and obviously referring to the live at that point in time version of the page should make it obvious that the change was not conducted until after the discrepancy was called out and flamed, and was only conducted as a cheap response to the situation.

Also I’m seeing this thread get kind of off topic. This isn’t even really about the price. It’s about how scummy the marketing here was. Let’s keep the attention there and not get bogged down with subjectives about worth.

Alright. A discrepancy was noted, ArenaNet fixed it to reflect the change. For people who bought the game recently and feel it’s a rip-off or false-advertising (because really, those are the only people who have a right to make that claim), ArenaNet’s refund policy is very good when it comes to these situations.

Rylen.2147

Omg so hard Ikr?

Not everyone can no life it to afford that

claps for you since it seems like you can

Lol I ain’t got time for that, that’s why I bought the deluxe for $75. I am merely presenting options

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

Considering the time i spent and intend to spend in this game, i think the standard package price is not too much. But of course feel free to flip out and take the pitchforks/torches and storm the Anet HQ.

That new people get the core game along with the expansion? It’s been priced at 10 euros several times before, we paid 60 at start, why should people who started 2 years later get it for a sixth of that? Right? No. Nobody complained then. Honestly, i don’t care if they include it here, offering packages like that is common practice with a lot things, not just software.

That they don’t give a char slot along with the standard pack? Yeah, i expected a char slot for free too. Quite honestly though, i’m aiming for the deluxe or the ultimate anyway.

The biggest issues seem to be these two, no free char slot and that new players get access to the core game (or they pay 10 euro/$ less for the expansion if you’d like to look at it that way).

I’m not really upset about that though. I got into GW1 relatively late due to some sales, if not for the sales, i might not have started playing… I paid a lot less than those who started back 2005, i also MISSED years and years of playing the game. Similarly here, i have spent a lot of time in GW2 since launch, i’ve met a lot of friendly people in the game, that was worth my originally spent money.