Did Heart of Thorns ruin the game?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

let me guess, GW2 is dying?

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Nope, devs ruined it. Unplayable expansion story (glitching bugs) too much zerg stuff for individuals, not friendly raid system (you need rl friends or a guild to join you). WvWvW died, same as dungeons did. Well pvp is the only thing alive.

Do you play this game? What you’re claiming is very much far from being true.

Too much grind appeared (new armors and useless stuff like ascended) why would you even farm ascended armor if fractals are dead above some lvls, and raids are so restrictive?

Raids are not as restrictive as you’re claiming. It’s specific groups of people who are putting on their own restrictions outside of what is needed for raids.

Grind is a necessity for any MMO to survive as the devs are incapable of rolling out content fast enough, and in sufficient quantities, to appease an entire player base. There are a lot of players who completed each episode of S2 in less than a day. How could any developer possibly keep up with that kind of pacing? Also imagine if there were no grind in this game and everyone could achieve everything with ease? How much longer do you think players would continue to do content after that?

Do people actually play some classes like necro anymore (an example)?

Yes, a lot of players will play necro.

Keys are filling your inventory (why for god sake can’t you put it into player’s wallet…)

Keys are not a currency.

masteries require raw grind. So, old stuff got abandoned and the new is avaible for hardcore players with lot of time for the game.

If you play the game enough each day to have earned three levels before HoT, you’d max out all masteries in about 4 months. Players are awarded so much more XP in HoT than there are in core Tyria. You have adventures which takes minutes to do and award a ton of XP.

None of the “old stuff” that you’re vaguely referring to has been abandoned.

Posted by: Matijo.4382

Matijo.4382

>not restrictive
>shouts on map for party raid, no one cares
Dungeons are dead=abandoned
4 months for story use masteries=grind
Who cares about what is restricted when people dont party you
Last hot boss was pretty much on godmode on solo because of bugged glitching and map falling apart wrong because of bugs same to glitched graphic effects
If i wanted grind i would play wow because devs claimed gw2 would be different
Less grind doesnt mean ease and if the grind appears make it fun
So what keys are not currency? Add a fob for it then
The point is: not everyone has time for 60g farm a day for new skins,event items,item slots,character slots,ascended materials or farmimg events for tokens,points etc
Its boring tho. I always liked idea of big events but not the farm

Ayrilana.1396

>shouts on map for party raid, no one cares

Shouting hasn’t been a thing on maps since like 2013? Use the LFG as that is what it is there for.

Dungeons are dead=abandoned

There are still plenty of people that are doing dungeons.

4 months for story use masteries=grind

That’s for ALL masteries. Please do not insert things into what I said when I never said them. I never said anything about the story. Those can be unlocked in a few hours.

Who cares about what is restricted when people dont party you

That what players are restricting for their own group. People could require all players to be using pink dyes for raids but that doesn’t mean there’s an issue with raids.

Last hot boss was pretty much on godmode on solo because of bugged glitching and map falling apart wrong because of bugs same to glitched graphic effects

The map falls apart the same way each and every time. There are some bugs that still occur but they hardly happen as often as they used to as the vast majority were fixed.

If i wanted grind i would play wow because devs claimed gw2 would be different

GW2 is different from other MMO’s. Other than the few masteries that are required for the story, which only have to be unlocked once for the account in a matter of hours, there’s no grind. There is grind for awards but that’s completely different.

Less grind doesnt mean ease and if the grind appears make it fun

So then you’d be okay if anything that had some sort of grind were removed but then required a great deal of player skill instead? Almost everyone that I see that doesn’t want grind wants them with ease.

So what keys are not currency? Add a fob for it then

Yeah. It’s not like you can exchange keys for anything.

The point is: not everyone has time for 60g farm a day for new skins,event items,item slots,character slots,ascended materials or farmimg events for tokens,points etc
Its boring tho. I always liked idea of big events but not the farm

The game isn’t going anywhere so why do you want everything right now? This isn’t a single player game like Skyrim where you can get everything in about 40 hours.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Yes. Everyone has too much of everything. The four Ele d/d meta is gone but insane powercreep replaced it, especially as far as AoE, conditions, and bunkering go.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Absolutely not. HOT brought a lot to the table and I’m enjoying it.

Posted by: Matijo.4382

Matijo.4382

LFG wasn’t a thing for 2 years at least. So yes shouting was working in this game as well.
Is there an LFG for raids? Or perhaps 10 players is too much for a simple lfg?

People “doing dungeons” might be in your opinion people farming CoF for masteries? There are ’’SOME" players, literally.

About raids. Lets put a boss you can kill easily with pink dyed armor but not so easily with green dye or blue dye on armor. I hate meta for it, and it was a thing since zerk farm on CoF.
Gw2 is “different” from other mmos only because of good map design and unusual system, but grind and levelling are the same. Why is character able to pick a story quest only once per 10 lvls? Is this a ’’feel free to do what you want"? No its against people farming black lion keys, because arena wants more cash.

I would rather enjoy content requiring more skills tho. It isn’t a fun really to farm something for your life. I liked fractals, dungeons, very big world maps for exploring, side quests and events. To beat some bosses you need to find a group and … farm.
This isn’t what used to be in beta when people randomly meet each other just for fun.
(It isn’t fault of HoT either)

Ayrilana.1396

LFG wasn’t a thing for 2 years at least. So yes shouting was working in this game as well.

It was but most people used a LFG website back then. Shouting on the maps was pretty inefficient then and even more so now. Just go to your contacts list (Y key) and go to the second tab. There’s a section for raids. Squads can put up a LFG so size isn’t an issue anymore until you hit the squad limit of 50.

People “doing dungeons” might be in your opinion people farming CoF for masteries? There are ’’SOME" players, literally.

No. I never said anything about dungeons being active because of CoF farming. You can regularly find group after the daily reset before it starts to die down when people start going to sleep. It’s 11:22pm pacific time right now and 6 out of the 8 dungeons still have at least 1 LFG post. The CoF one was for P3.

About raids. Lets put a boss you can kill easily with pink dyed armor but not so easily with green dye or blue dye on armor. I hate meta for it, and it was a thing since zerk farm on CoF.

People have been killing many of the raid bosses as just one class. I believe that VG has been defeated this way for most of the classes. The thing with raids is that most of it comes down to skill and knowledge of the boss mechanics. Sure there are DPS requirements but most people that fail do so because they messed up somewhere with the mechanics. All classes are viable but of course some may be more optimal for a given raid boss.

Gw2 is “different” from other mmos only because of good map design and unusual system, but grind and levelling are the same. Why is character able to pick a story quest only once per 10 lvls? Is this a ’’feel free to do what you want"? No its against people farming black lion keys, because arena wants more cash.

I never liked them locking the personal story that way. It used to be that you could do them until you could no longer as the enemies were too strong. I guess they felt this was too confusing for new players so they locked each arc so they’d be available every 10 levels.

They didn’t do this to prevent players from farming black lion keys. People still did it after the change through crafting. I actually found a way to make a profit while crafting so I didn’t take a loss on that part. Making the black lion key reward from the 1st story arc on a weekly time-gate was their first step into limiting players ability to farm keys outside of the gem store.

I would rather enjoy content requiring more skills tho. It isn’t a fun really to farm something for your life. I liked fractals, dungeons, very big world maps for exploring, side quests and events. To beat some bosses you need to find a group and … farm.
This isn’t what used to be in beta when people randomly meet each other just for fun.

In the open world you can still randomly meet other players. This hasn’t really changed since launch other than megaservers removing server communities (aside from WvW). I do hope that Anet locks rewards behind something that requires the player’s personal skill rather than that of a group’s.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Actually the move to the 10 level story instance has multiple reasons, one of which was black lion keys. However we also saw many posts about people coming in from other games who were confused because there was only one green star on the map and they figured they should be able to just run from star to star and ignore everything else, as they do in just about every other game. This isn’t just one or two posts, they came regularly.

The stories were designed in 10 level arcs. You go ten levels you finish an arc. One of my least favorite things when I did the story the first time was some guy saying this is very important we have to go save these people and then having to level 2 or 3 levels by gathering apples or pulling weeds so I was a high enough level to continue a story in the middle.

The ten story level has natural stops. One question you answer in your character creation is the 1-10 level story another is the 10-20 story and then you hit the story arc that’s 20-30. Every ten levels there’s a natural commercial break.

You may have liked the freedom before the changes, but I always waited until I was 10 levels higher so I could do the story arc in one shot…at which point the rewards sucked for me.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Ruining of course not. But they made mistakes and they certainly didn’t made it accessible to a broader playerbase. I think that’s why we don’t see anything new as they concentrate already on new expansion which will be more accessible and have more content (hopes).

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: battledrone.8315

battledrone.8315

Ruining of course not. But they made mistakes and they certainly didn’t made it accessible to a broader playerbase. I think that’s why we don’t see anything new as they concentrate already on new expansion which will be more accessible and have more content (hopes).

okay, but who will buy that new expansion?
they will have a hard time selling it to other, than HOT fans
if they make it casual, they will kitten off the paying customers again
if they make it hardcore they will narrow the player margin even more
they have painted themselves in a corner there

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

They’ll include the original game and HOT with the new expansion and advertise only the new features of the expansion. Also they’ll sell it for like 40-50$/€.

I didn’t say make it more casual – rather more accessible. Make the open world mobs hit less hard and less make them less annoying.

I tell you this as a defender of non-casual gaming who always defends anet for their decision. But let’s face it: if there are no customers there will be no further development. I’d rather have easier mobs (in the open world) than no expansion at all.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

(edited by ProtoGunner.4953)

battledrone.8315

They’ll include the original game and HOT with the new expansion and advertise only the new features of the expansion. Also they’ll sell it for like 40-50$/€.

I didn’t say make it more casual – rather more accessible. Make the open world mobs hit less hard and less make them less annoying.

I tell you this as a defender of non-casual gaming who always defends anet for their decision. But let’s face it: if there are no customers there will be no further development. I’d rather have easier mobs (in the open world) than no expansion at all.

heh, we might not have skills or patience, but our combined economic power is
the very foundation of this genre
without a ton of dirty casuals to pay the bills, any mmo will go downhill
Anet should have learned that by now

Posted by: Nika.3946

Nika.3946

let me guess, GW2 is dying?

I’ve heard similar today in the game : "Game is dying? " , and answer : "Dude, GW2 is already dead "
It was 3 am (!!!) in VB . Haha

Posted by: Silberfederling.9302

Silberfederling.9302

Just asking: where were you last october? Or: why another one? Or: has there been enough Drama now?
Good Lord

Vayne.8563

People have said this game is dying since two months after launch. Truth? Not even REMOTELY close.

Last quarter, this game made 25 million US dollars or so. That’s over 8 million a month. Hardly a dying game.

HoT sales were less than expected. They weren’t tragic. The game isn’t going out of business.

Naturally Anet wants to keep even more people playing, but the truth is, there are plenty of casuals playing hot right now and enjoying it. I have a guild full of casuals many of whom are enjoying HoT. A couple of them are in their 60s.

This whole a casual can’t do hot is just wrong.

Posted by: Jenstone.6891

Jenstone.6891

No, imho, HOT has not ruined the game.
Sure, there were a few issues, but that is to be expected for any expansion.
If anything, I believe it has made the game stronger, by requiring players to play more challenging and difficult content.
I believe it has made me a better player.

To me it seems to be a pretty weak argument to say, “I hate HOT, so I will close up my computer and never play again… but I love the core game.”
If you love the core game, you would play it.

Gliding is the single best thing about it all, to heck with mounts, we got gliders.
I look forward to the next step, next progression, next evolution of the game.

Posted by: Dahmerkitten.1385

Dahmerkitten.1385

No. I actually liked alot of the new content.

However i haven’t logged into the game and played in a few weeks.

The quality of life patch brought me back for a bit, but i lost interest again.

I don’t feel like i have any real incentive to play. Capped out on Masterys, Have multiple toons geared fully in ascended.

Yea i guess i could work on all those collections- But i don’t like any of the skins- and the few i like i already obtained, and i don’t care about AP.

The main reason i played gw2 was for Legendarys. That’s what kept me running fracs, and farming events.

Without that incentive- Like why farm for mats? What’s the point if your not using them to create anything?

I made hope, and have all the leg 1 weapons i wanted.

The only thing i’ve struggled with HoT, is how frequently we are getting BLC weapons, and gemstore skins now- Which is clearly there to sustain their shinny PvP project.

I feel everyone plays a game for diffrent reasons- I like long term goals, and now there isn’t anything that supports that.

Posted by: Silmar Alech.4305

Silmar Alech.4305

Yes, HoT ruined the game as a whole, because it made the playerbase as a whole shrink instead of grow. By its new and totally unexpected harder play style it drove away many veterans and only left the more hardcore and grind-orientated people. For these, the game is certainly better than ever. But for the probably much larger group of casual and lazy gamers, HoT meant goodbye.

I assume this loss of player support cannot be healed. Not with any HoT fix, not with any new expansion, because the players already left and moved on. They did not leave for the moment, as if they are done with existing content and waiting for a new expansion. Instead, they left forever.

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

Game released in 2012

Ask yourself what have we gotten since 2012-2016
What was promised and how long did it take to get into the game if ever

Hot didn’t ruin anything the long months of content droughts and removals took its toll. People are asking for the same things to be added to this game as they did when the game launched. They take a step forward but must also take a step back implementing new systems and then removing them.

What MMO could possibly have gotten away with keeping the same tired dungeons for 4 years. your class is the same though certain things have been removed, and HoT brought specializations while leaving the core classes frozen in stone. A person comes back to check on the game and they see the same skills, dungeons, and so forth as they did years ago.

HoT didn’t ruin anything however one could tie everything to bad management and a foolish desire for E-sports. I log in for a daily rarely and I check these forums less and less eachtime. So many people that I knew in game and in real life have left.

It’s not to say the game is bad since new people are coming even the older/founding members of my guild and others have long quit. I made log in reward a routine but at this point I have to ask myself why do I do it.

I don’t blame HoT a cash in is a cash in and they got my money so my purpose as a vet has long since passed. Too much time has passed with far little to show for it the droughts were to long and HoT didn’t provide enough content to keep older players going.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

It certainly didn’t ruin the game as a whole. I still enjoy much of the core game. The HoT maps, not so much after many attempts at trying to find the fun in it. However, I do think HoT damaged a lot of goodwill an unknown number of customers had toward Anet as well as trust that Anet will produce a product they enjoy.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

battledrone.8315

People have said this game is dying since two months after launch. Truth? Not even REMOTELY close.

Last quarter, this game made 25 million US dollars or so. That’s over 8 million a month. Hardly a dying game.

HoT sales were less than expected. They weren’t tragic. The game isn’t going out of business.

Naturally Anet wants to keep even more people playing, but the truth is, there are plenty of casuals playing hot right now and enjoying it. I have a guild full of casuals many of whom are enjoying HoT. A couple of them are in their 60s.

1: GW 2 wont last forever, so the game IS dying, just as everything else is
2: true, many casuals prolly could do it, if we really HAD to.
but, we wont, because it is not fun(for us)
3: lets just hope, that your casual guild is big enough to carry the whole game then.

battledrone.8315

If anything, I believe it has made the game stronger, by requiring players to play more challenging and difficult content.

To me it seems to be a pretty weak argument to say, “I hate HOT, so I will close up my computer and never play again… but I love the core game.”

Gliding is the single best thing about it all, to heck with mounts, we got gliders.

we had over 3 years with no new content
how many other games have you played for over 3 years?
core Tyria IS solid, if it wasnt, none of us would be here
HoTs performance speaks for itself

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

didn’t you uninstall?
Anyway I love hot content, the maps are amazing, I love the elites and gliding. About to start making a serious effort with the specialisation collections and I’m not one to usually collect stuff.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Posted by: Donnie P.2813

Donnie P.2813

HOT actually made it fun again. I blasted through it quickly with a Necro until it froze on me when I was starting the last Dragon. I haven’t tried winning HOT since. However, Masteries did it in for me. I lost interest realizing that I can’t solo the game and get all Masteries. I really don’t care to join raids and have to depend on other people to get a good experience out of the game.

I was playing daily, earning the xp, helping others, etc. I worked and worked and eventually it turned into any of the other grind games when it came to working on masteries and getting what I needed to even get ascended gear. And Legendary items, Psssssh. Casual solo players are screwed.

GW2 has started getting the feeling of catering to the hard core constant gamers that are able to get enough gold for free gems daily, while the rest of us that don’t do hard core purchase gems once/month and get the feeling that the devs really don’t care to cater to the rest of us.

I try to get interest in the game again, but I can’t seem to. My interest has been lost for over 3 months now. I log in for the daily and think: time to play… but don’t feel like it when I see my experience bar maxed and unable to get any more masteries without getting achievements that are in parts of the game that I really don’t care for.

Why should I be required to PVP or do every jumping puzzle or solve every riddle to get all masteries? I don’t enjoy some parts of the game, so why can’t I get the masteries for the parts that I do enjoy: PVE, story, mapping, and helping others in game and to learn the game.

Don’t get me wrong, the game is great for story, effects, playability, and much more. But, I lost interest mostly due to Legendary out of my grasp unless I am hard core, the feeling of grinding, and unachievable masteries.

(edited by Donnie P.2813)

Vayne.8563

1: GW 2 wont last forever, so the game IS dying, just as everything else is
2: true, many casuals prolly could do it, if we really HAD to.
but, we wont, because it is not fun(for us)
3: lets just hope, that your casual guild is big enough to carry the whole game then.

1. No game will last forever, so by your definition all games are dying. Just like all people are dying but we don’t walk up to them on the street and say you’re dying. Now you’re trying to change the actual meaning of what you’re saying with semantics. By saying it’s dying in this thread, you’re not talking about a slow natural decline and it’s disingenuous to say that everything is dying so you’re right. Context is everything.

2. Stop talking for all casuals, because you can’t do that. You can say YOU won’t do it. Maybe some of your friends won’t, but I have a guild full of casuals who are playing HoT and don’t seem to have the issues with it you have. You don’t know what most casuals will do because you’re not most casuals. My guild is having fun. There have been others on these forums who said the same you did about HoT. A couple have joined my guild and they’ve mostly stopped complaining. They’re playing instead and seem to be having a good time. And yes they’re casual.

3. This is a ridiculous statement. My guild doesn’t have to carry the whole game, unless you’re assuming the 200 plus people in my guild are spending 8 million dollars a month which I’m pretty sure isn’t the case. I don’t know why you can’t actually see that the game is successful, certainly more successful than most MMOs after 3.5 years, and it’s not likely to be unsuccessful any time soon. This game isn’t dying. It’s not on it’s deathbed. It’s not even close to being a conversation unless you ignore things like you know, quarterly reports.

You don’t like it doesn’t mean lots of other people don’t like it, even casuals.

Vayne.8563

Actually HoT has brought quite a few people back to the game many who left because the core game itself was too boring for them. Too face roll easy. There are examples of this in this very thread.

Anet expected more units of hot to sell. But casuals didn’t mostly not buy hot because it was too hard. They didn’t buy hot for a lot of reasons, including price, anger at the core game being given away free, the dungeon nerf, all of which has nothing to do with hot difficulty. Adding two and two doesn’t always get you five.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I don’t feel HoT ruined GW2. I will agree that it changed it.

I will agree with many that it was definitely a different approach to the game that wasn’t necessarily “casual friendly” to at least some extent. I usually do ok, my husband has issues. So I have front line seats to both sides of that issue, so I can understand and appreciate both views.

I have mixed feelings on raids in general. I don’t think they were necessarily a “bad” idea; however, I also cannot say with any conviction that they were a “healthy” addition either. “The road to hell is paved with good intentions” That said, it’s only been…what 6 months -ish? I’m going to take a step back, give it time, and observe closely before crossing the line to one side or the other.

The elites…those were a sound idea. Probably worked better on paper than in actual implementation, but time should help smooth that out. They still have some balance tweaks to work out, and those should be fine.

Fewer maps with greater density, replay-ability, and verticality: I don’t think I’m a fan of the entire map being one big timered meta-event personally. I don’t mind the layered maps. Its super frustrating at first, and I still have a hard time navigating through; however, I do like that they aren’t just flat landscapes. It makes them more “real” to have that depth, that layered tiering, despite how annoying it sometimes is.

All in all, it’s just “different” and sadly, a lot of people just don’t like “different.”

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Animism.9803

Animism.9803

The games direction has been heading downhill since the first LS1 imo… thats not to say it couldn’t recover with a great expansion, but good luck.

Jenstone.6891

Hmmm, 3 years with no new content?
Really, you are saying that?
Season 1? Was new content, from what was at launch.
Season 2? Was new content, from what was at launch.
Dry Top? Guess that was not new content.
Silver Wastes? Guess that was not new content either.
So, there was new content added to the game, after launch.

I play only one other game, other the GW series, and that is going into its 5th year.

Yes, core Tyria is solid, never said it was not.
But if love the core game, you would play it, not leave it.
But to leave the core game over HoT, to me and my opinion is odd.
That said, I like HoT, a lot and I like the direction the game is going.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

No, but the lack of current content ain’t helping none.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

If we were to poll this thread, it seems like only a tiny of percentage of the posters feel this way, but I’ll add my no to to mix. I don’t think HoT ruined the game.

I do think some people don’t like HoT, and it ruined the game for them, but then it expanded the game for me.

Hopefully though, Anet has learned a couple of lessons from the HoT launch and the next expansion will be better.

That if it is true, i’ve not polled, most of the customers that did feel it ruined the game have mostly left..

Posted by: tomwcb.9713

tomwcb.9713

No. It’s really good. Especially since the recent big patch that addressed a lot of the outstanding issues.

Posted by: Runo.3780

Runo.3780

Yep… I have to buy the same product TWO times…. not a scam… lol.

General Health.9678

Yep… I have to buy the same product TWO times…. not a scam… lol.

Agreed not a scam.
It’s not even the same product, it has had numerous updates.
You know what I’d dislike? Buying a product, installing it, having to buy a second disc, installing, buying a third..
The expansion is inexpensive and caters for new and existing players. Pretty simple to understand really.

Runo.3780

Inexpensive…. 45 euro………… maybe it is inexpensive if you live in some rich country.

Vayne.8563

Inexpensive…. 45 euro………… maybe it is inexpensive if you live in some rich country.

So WoW is a scam and EQ is a scam too, right? Your country’s economy is not the fault of any game company and they certainly can’t base their marketing decisions around it. That’s not really a reasonable position.

I live in Australia and games are expensive as hell here, but that has nothing to do with Anet. The fact is, if Anet wants to compete they have to do this. They can’t expect people to buy two games just to get into the current content. And the more expansions they add, the less they can afford to not do this.

Runo.3780

The fault of company is selling the same product bundled with other product and doesn’t give the previous customer option to just upgrade the old one for 10-20 euro less.

General Health.9678

Everything is inexpensive if you live in a rich country.
I looked at one site on google and it’s 28 euros. I suggest you shop around.
It’s not expensive considering the amount of entertainment it provides.
Don’t buy it if you don’t like it. Personally I love HoT, found it great value.

(edited by General Health.9678)

Vayne.8563

I didn’t say I don’t like the game… I said I don’t like the scam like behavior. Right? I love it when ppl try to put words in your mouth…
Okay 28 euro is probably a little more acceptable (but still a scam)… but on the ncosft page it states “45” for the cheapest one, right?

It’s not a scam because you don’t have to buy it. They’re putting out this information up front and you decide if it’s worth it. Being annoyed at something doesn’t give you license to misuse words.

You feel scammed maybe. But it’s not a scam. It’s normal for the MMORPG industry right now.

General Health.9678

When you bought the game three years ago?
Yep cos they knew then, right..
Sorry you are wrong, but you are.

Vayne.8563

Scam doesn’t work like that, heck the link:
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/scam

If they did say, when I was buying the game, that upon relasing expansion the core game will be free and I will have to pay the same amount of money as new players then yep, it wouldn’t been a scam… but they didn’t.

No company has to reveal future plans. You paid for a game. You got a game. Presumably you played the game.

Now the company is offering a sequel game. Not only were they under no obligation to tell you about something 3.5 years in the future, they probably couldn’t have told you because decisions wouldn’t have been made about that at the time the game came out. So it would have been impossible to tell you anyway.

They’re offering a game. You expected a discount on it, because you bought the core game. You didn’t get a discount and you’re calling it a scam. You’re not right by any definition of the word scam. There’s nothing fraudulent here. If you tried to take this to court, the judge which throw it out before the ink dried on the open remarks.

Posted by: Baclavaman.9054

Baclavaman.9054

HoT didnt ruined the game because it added new content to play with however the amount of content was a turn off for us.

Anet did set the bar pretty high with GW1 and the stand alone expansions, each one had an entire continent to explore, dungeons, full wardrobe of armors, weapons, pets, quests, skills, a story/ campain and a ton of side quests and unique lore. Hot compared to that was pretty anemic and that kinda killed the hype about the expansion.

Not to mention hoiw stupid the concept of Mordremoth was; “He’s the mind dragon, so lets attack him where hes supposed to be the strongest” because logic… When i finished the HoT story that felt so stupid that i stopped playing for a few months.

No the expansion didnt kill the game but it was far from what i was expecting based on what they delivered in the past.

Ayrilana.1396

Anet did set the bar pretty high with GW1 and the stand alone expansions, each one had an entire continent to explore, dungeons, full wardrobe of armors, weapons, pets, quests, skills, a story/ campain and a ton of side quests and unique lore. Hot compared to that was pretty anemic and that kinda killed the hype about the expansion.

HoT had more than GW1 campaigns/expansion. Well except for new classes.

Jenstone.6891

No, but the lack of current content ain’t helping none.

Yeah, that I agree with.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

HoT didnt ruined the game because it added new content to play with however the amount of content was a turn off for us.

Well it’s not all it did. HoT also added :

- some of the biggest powercreep in the game. Making most of the core game even more easy and less fun to play since you are so much more powerful now.

- Limiting build diversity by adding elite spec that are almost mandatory in meta build. To be honest they changed other thing at the same thing so the build diversity didn’t drop overall, it stayed the same.

- Complete changed some of the old content to a worst version of it. WvW, Dungeon and Fractal. They since fixed fractal and reverted back the change to WvW and Dungeon, but the damage is already done and both community are only a shadow of their former self.

- They added huge gold sink with the Scribe and Guild Hall and honestly both bring very little to the players.

They spent a lot of resources on flops with the expansion and they need to spend a lot of resources just to fix them back.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

Scam doesn’t work like that, heck the link:
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/scam

If they did say, when I was buying the game, that upon relasing expansion the core game will be free and I will have to pay the same amount of money as new players then yep, it wouldn’t been a scam… but they didn’t.

I paid for a VCR. I got a VCR. I used a VCR. What do you mean I have to pay for a DVD player that includes a VCR if I want to play DVDs? That’s outrageous! I demand a refund!