"DragonHunter" name feedback [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Genesis.8572

Genesis.8572

I was hoping for something different with the Longbow as well, but this spec will be here for people who want to play it. I mean, the DH is not exactly the same as the Ranger; no pet, traps have different effects, and you can still slot regular Guardian utilities instead of the traps. Not every elite spec is going to be one everyone wants to play, but maybe the next Guardian elite spec will make you fanboy over it (and hopefully more people than this one has too!)

What were you hoping from the guardian longbow spec?

Will Hawkins (Human Guardian)
Feryl Grimsteel (Charr Engineer)
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Mar.4839

Mar.4839

Because it’s a pun or play on words, it should stop being taken so literally.

It’s just like this pun for gw2: what’s Queen Jennah’s favorite lunch spot? The Cafe Tyria.

Dragonhunter is just a play on words from Witchhunters and Demonhunters.

Names like Chronomancer, Druid weren’t argued over because they’re literal definitions.

Just replace Dragonhunter with Witchhunter and you can see the idea/concept of the profession makes sense.

Posted by: Gandalf.3516

Gandalf.3516

It’s just like this pun for gw2: what’s Queen Jennah’s favorite lunch spot? The Cafe Tyria.

Names like Chronomancer, Druid weren’t argued over because they’re literal definitions.

Just replace Dragonhunter with Witchhunter and you can see the idea/concept of the profession makes sense.

It isn’t even remotely a pun or play on words. That would suggest it’s meant to be amusing and not taken literally. From the mouth of a developer, “Guardians consider themselves protectors of the innocent…Guardians fight for justice and the Dragonhunter faction believes justice is the eradication of dragons and their minions.”

They are very much in a literal way, a faction of guardians who have tasked themselves with the annihilation of all dragons.

There isn’t necessarily anything wrong with that, but that’s exactly what they are.

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

I was hoping for something different with the Longbow as well, but this spec will be here for people who want to play it. I mean, the DH is not exactly the same as the Ranger; no pet, traps have different effects, and you can still slot regular Guardian utilities instead of the traps. Not every elite spec is going to be one everyone wants to play, but maybe the next Guardian elite spec will make you fanboy over it (and hopefully more people than this one has too!)

My idea for it would have been a ranged, angelic semi-support class. The Longbow would essentially have an auto-attack (the one they have is fine) and up to four “Mark” skills (mimicking the Necromancer’s marks but with Guardian symbols, though probably not triggered by enemies, maybe triggered by allies? o.O), which would pulse condi clears, regen, aegis, protection, stability, quickness, and healing to allies with maybe an opposite effect to enemies. The utility skills and heal would be a new set of channeled shouts, almost exactly like the anthems in GW1. These would do sort of what the Longbow does, but with varying intensity and at point-blank range instead of 1200 units away. The Elite would temporarily transform you into a “Paragon of Light” or “Spirit of the Paragon”, changing your weapon to a spear and giving you wings (with float? they added it to Chronomancers) for a short time and granting you abilities similar to that of the Paragons. Spears would be thrown, in the same way.

I am not entirely sure if the name of the class could be Paragon though, as they didn’t really use bows, but the Elite skill would be the embodiment of the idea behind it.

Genesis.8572

My idea for it would have been a ranged, angelic semi-support class. The Longbow would essentially have an auto-attack (the one they have is fine) and up to four “Mark” skills (mimicking the Necromancer’s marks but with Guardian symbols, though probably not triggered by enemies, maybe triggered by allies? o.O), which would pulse condi clears, regen, aegis, protection, stability, quickness, and healing to allies with maybe an opposite effect to enemies. The utility skills and heal would be a new set of channeled shouts, almost exactly like the anthems in GW1. These would do sort of what the Longbow does, but with varying intensity and at point-blank range instead of 1200 units away. The Elite would temporarily transform you into a “Paragon of Light” or “Spirit of the Paragon”, changing your weapon to a spear and giving you wings (with float? they added it to Chronomancers) for a short time and granting you abilities similar to that of the Paragons. Spears would be thrown, in the same way.

I am not entirely sure if the name of the class could be Paragon though, as they didn’t really use bows, but the Elite skill would be the embodiment of the idea behind it.

For what it’s worth, I like your idea much better. I probably would have ventured further away from the necromancer marks, as that would certainly result in cries of “the necro is even more pointless! thx, guardian spec.”

Let’s hope that a future shortbow guardian elite spec gives guardians a better range alternative than ‘dragonhunter.’

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: AikunFelcis.7258

AikunFelcis.7258

I like this idea. Now I can clearly see that there is still possibility for them to create Paragon-like specialization. If they dont want to make spear a land weapon, they can create basically a utility/elite kit (just like Engineers have) “Paragon’s Spear” and you wield light-imbued spear and get 5 skills for it! The simplest solution is the harder one to figure out. Love it.

EDIT: If they don’t want implement kits for guardian, they can add this spear as elite spirit weapon (elite one, which you can actually wield). That would fit perfectly.

(edited by AikunFelcis.7258)

MiniEquine.6014

I like this idea. Now I can clearly see that there is still possibility for them to create Paragon-like specialization. If they dont want to make spear a land weapon, they can create basically a utility/elite kit (just like Engineers have) “Paragon’s Spear” and you wield light-imbued spear and get 5 skills for it! The simplest solution is the harder one to figure out. Love it.

EDIT: If they don’t want implement kits for guardian, they can add this spear as elite spirit weapon (elite one, which you can actually wield). That would fit perfectly.

Well, over on the Guardian forum Anet were talking about removing tomes and re-introducing them in a later elite specialization. The reintroduction could be for some Scholar/Archivist “kit” specialization where you swap between your tomes. I think this would be an excellent way to bring them back, and they wouldn’t really be competing with the Engineer because the tomes would be magic-based.

Genesis.8572

Well, over on the Guardian forum Anet were talking about removing tomes and re-introducing them in a later elite specialization. The reintroduction could be for some Scholar/Archivist “kit” specialization where you swap between your tomes. I think this would be an excellent way to bring them back, and they wouldn’t really be competing with the Engineer because the tomes would be magic-based.

Neat idea! Maybe the equipped tomes affect how your virtues operate similar to the engineer toolbelt? Call it a “Cleric.”

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: dietzero.3514

dietzero.3514

The Pact are not all soldiers. They ARE all dragon hunters, though. The very purpose of the Pact is to hunt dragons.

That is actually completely backwards, you know. All of the pact are soldiers. From Wikipedia:

Occupational designations[edit]

In most armed forces use of the word ‘soldier’ has taken on a more general meaning due to the increasing specialization of military occupations that require different areas of knowledge and skill-sets. As a result, ‘soldiers’ are referred to by names or ranks which reflect an individual’s military occupation specialty arm, service, or branch of military employment, their type of unit, or operational employment or technical use such as: trooper, tanker, commando, dragoon, infantryman, marine, paratrooper, ranger, sniper, engineer, sapper, medic, or a gunner.

A hunter is a specific profession. Someone who hunts is not necessarily a hunter, but someone who makes their living hunting is a hunter.

Well, if you are going to go into what the Pact are paid to do, that would be dragon hunting. They are not all soldiers, but they are all finding ways to take down the dragons.

So they are all very literally Dragon hunters. That is their JOB.

MiniEquine.6014

The Pact are not all soldiers. They ARE all dragon hunters, though. The very purpose of the Pact is to hunt dragons.

That is actually completely backwards, you know. All of the pact are soldiers. From Wikipedia:

In most armed forces use of the word ‘soldier’ has taken on a more general meaning due to the increasing specialization of military occupations that require different areas of knowledge and skill-sets. As a result, ‘soldiers’ are referred to by names or ranks which reflect an individual’s military occupation specialty arm, service, or branch of military employment, their type of unit, or operational employment or technical use such as: trooper, tanker, commando, dragoon, infantryman, marine, paratrooper, ranger, sniper, engineer, sapper, medic, or a gunner.

A hunter is a specific profession. Someone who hunts is not necessarily a hunter, but someone who makes their living hunting is a hunter.

Well, if you are going to go into what the Pact are paid to do, that would be dragon hunting. They are not all soldiers, but they are all finding ways to take down the dragons.

So they are all very literally Dragon hunters. That is their JOB.

I feel like a broken record. I repeat:

They are soldiers. There are some within the Pact that are dedicated to finding ways to take the Dragons down, but they are still soldiers in an army and an overwhelming majority of the pact are just foot soldiers or infantry. They do what their commanders tell them and they march into battle against the Dragons and their minions. Soldiers.

dietzero.3514

They are not all soldiers…why do you think that? The Vigil are all soldiers, sure, but the other two? No.

Now Dragon hunters? Yes. Everyone in the pact is a Dragon hunter, because that is the very purpose of the pact, and that is what everyone is striving for. From the scholars back at the Priory, to the Whisper spies scattered everywhere. All Dragon hunters.

P.S Guardian says: ‘ME SPECIAL DRAGONHUNTER!’

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

They are not all soldiers…why do you think that? The Vigil are all soldiers, sure, but the other two? No.

Now Dragon hunters? Yes. Everyone in the pact is a Dragon hunter, because that is the very purpose of the pact, and that is what everyone is striving for. From the scholars back at the Priory, to the Whisper spies scattered everywhere. All Dragon hunters.

not everyone is going to like every name, such is life. You dont like it, that is all.

dietzero.3514

not everyone is going to like every name, such is life. You dont like it, that is all.

Ok?

MiniEquine.6014

Never mind, you’re being difficult on purpose and are simply refusing to acknowledge definitions of words at this point. I will no longer respond to you if it’s with regard to our post chain.

dietzero.3514

Never mind, you’re being difficult on purpose and are simply refusing to acknowledge definitions of words at this point. I will no longer respond to you if it’s with regard to our post chain.

This from the guy who believes hunter only refers to professional hunters. Nice one.

Posted by: Axialbloom.8109

Axialbloom.8109

They’re not though? Your stated definition of “soldier” did not include builders, scientists, researchers, spies (which, admittedly, could still fall under the definition at a push) all of whom are part of the pact. I believe that was the point they were trying to make?

People seem to be very dismissive in this thread. Passionately so.

On a personal note my feelings towards the name extend as far as “slight interest” and with the current lack of any real information I’m willing to wait and see where Anet are going to take this before getting all hot and bothered.

Having said that I don’t main a Guardian. I may feel differently if they call a class I do play something… ludicrous.

(edited by Axialbloom.8109)

Mar.4839

It isn’t even remotely a pun or play on words. That would suggest it’s meant to be amusing and not taken literally. From the mouth of a developer, “Guardians consider themselves protectors of the innocent…Guardians fight for justice and the Dragonhunter faction believes justice is the eradication of dragons and their minions.”

They are very much in a literal way, a faction of guardians who have tasked themselves with the annihilation of all dragons.

There isn’t necessarily anything wrong with that, but that’s exactly what they are.

But they have a different ideal than Guardians do, that’s the point the quote is trying to make “Guardians fight for justice” while “Dragonhunter faction believes justice is the eradication of dragons and their minions”.

Just because the “and” is there doesn’t mean the two are one in the same. ArenaNet has been wanting Elite Specializations to feel like their own thing or almost a subclass if you will.

A Mesmer who becomes a Chronomancer doesn’t fight the same way a Mesmer does. A Mesmer relies on tricks and deception, manipulating the mind of its enemy. A Chronomancer backs off from that to focus more on manipulation of time instead both in its ideals and how the profession fights.

The same thing is happening with the Guardian and Dragonhunter. A Guardians main idea is to protect but the Dragonhunters main idea is to be the hunter, the one that becomes relentless in its pursuit. It shows in its gameplay as well as we saw on the Ready Up how aggressive and powerful the Dragonhunter is compared to a Guardian.

So we’re seeing the same thing again, just like the style of Mesmer -> Chronomancer changes, so does the style of the Guardian -> Dragonhunter.

And seriously the only reason it isn’t called a Witchhunter or Demonhunter is because of the fact that Dragons in GW2 lore are considered the Malefic threats to the world. Whereas Demons are considered the malefic threats in Diablo 3 and thus include Demonhunters. Same as Mages/Necromancers usually being the cause of great disasters in the Elder Scrolls Universe allowing Witchhunters to be a selectable theme.

The name is just there to fit with the universe. This is what I mean by people are taking it too literally because they are whenever someone says “we all hunt dragons” it shows.

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

I disagree with the name and kit of the “Chronomancer”, but I’m not gonna bother making whiny threads about it.

There is already one! :p

Not sure if trolling.

Did you miss that the thread you linked is a spoof of the Dragonhunter name, not an actual Chronomancer complaint thread?

dietzero.3514

The cafe Tyria? How is that a pun?

Mar.4839

Cafe Tyria
CafeTyria
cafetyria
cafeteria

Never said it was good, but was an example I found through Google. :P

Gibson.4036

When enough people post in these forums about not liking something, it’s pretty much guaranteed someone will mistake thread volume for rage and contribute by telling people how pitiable the are for getting worked up about something so small and dismiss them as a insignificant, though vocal minority. This,of course, riles people up and becomes self fulfilling.

It’s about as reliable as new “we need mounts” threads and the “go back to WoW” responses they generate.

dietzero.3514

Cafe Tyria
CafeTyria
cafetyria
cafeteria

Never said it was good, but was an example I found through Google. :P

Oh. How I pronounce Tyria kind of makes it not work for me :P

Posted by: purecontact.1680

purecontact.1680

Not sure if trolling.

Of course I’m trolling, what else would you do on this thread?
People just throwing names without any thought behind : “Why not Justiciar? Oh I love Arbiter! We need Seraphim!”.

Instead of getting constructive post around the concept of Dragonhunter, why people like or don’t like it, we had a bunch of schoolboy kittenpond with less and less respect.

As I am concern, I must admit I’m not a stranger to this decadence, I’ve only post two (maybe three) times to set my argument and between this posts, I’ve been answering an answer who answered a criticism who critised an argument who… (ok, I guess you got it).

A feedback thread can be constructive and developpers could hear our expectations but in that cacophony, the only thing they will understand is that we are only just a bunch of kids yelling.

If you want to be heard, set your pitch in one well-presented post then ignore the answer (whether they are pros or cons your idea).

The thread will be clear, devs could read where are pros, where are cons and they might change the way they’ll name the guardian’s specialization.

(edited by purecontact.1680)

Gibson.4036

I expect more people would be satisfied leaving one post of their thoughts if others didn’t try to argue they are wrong. Then again, I’m probably wrong.

And it wouldn’t be a discussion.

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

I expect more people would be satisfied leaving one post of their thoughts if others didn’t try to argue they are wrong. Then again, I’m probably wrong.

And it wouldn’t be a discussion.

Pretty much this yes, when other people come in and “NO YOU ARE WRONG” its going to lead to arguments. This thread could honestly have been kept simple and probably half is long as if people had came in had stated their side and then left.

1.) I dont like it: Reasons why.
2.) i do like it: reasons why.

that is how the responses in this thread should have been, but as always in a feedback thread there will be arguments that break out.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

dietzero.3514

Half the thread (forum?) is Nike.

Posted by: Carlin Sanders.3587

Carlin Sanders.3587

simple solution: Petition for a rename of the guardian spec and add possible names. vote on the best choice.

as for the mechanics involved with the guardian spec honestly you were all warned: specializations were a take on secondary professions that expanded the (insert profession here)‘s depth. chronomancer can be taken as, in gw1 terms, a Me/Ne. Dragonhunter can be termed Mo/Ra. this is, however, not going to be your only option. I imagine they will perform other mixes as they make more specializations. Perhaps we’ll see a double shield guardian by mixing warrior in. or a guardian dual wielding swords with thief traits.

all in all if you don’t like it then don’t use it. wait for the next specialization to come. I’m at least taking the special for the bow – the scepter drags as a long range weapon. :/

Posted by: Ojyh.9842

Ojyh.9842

I thought a bit more about all that… And I believe the idea of a witch-hunter is not that bad actually. But you couldn’t replace Dragonhunter with witch-hunter as some people suggested, it wouldn’t make sense in Tyria’s lore, and it’s not exactly what the character is anyway.

They should have found a name that keeps this idea of a zealous warrior who’s specialized in the elimination of his ennemies and purification of Tyria without choosing such cliche and cheesy theme and name, just keeping the Guardian’s theme.
Oh and again, they shouldn’t make our character a member of a faction or give him big goals like "I dedicate my life to Dragonhunting !’ just because we chose a playstyle, that’s two different things.

The problem is not only the name. It is a whole bunch of things that are quite wrong and incoherent with the way A.Net usually build their archetypes, and within the archetype itself.

It will be quite hard, but we can conciliate the idea of the “witch-hunter concept” (that is not a hunter in the sense of a big game hunter or anything like that, this part has to be purely erased) with the Guardian theme. Now I feel like Arbiter, Paragon, etc are not really working.

One problem stays : where is the support aspect in that ?
To resolve this problem we have to go back on the theme and make it change. Then a Watcher or a Sentinel would totally work with the Guardian theme and also with what the spec does and looks like !
Then just change the name and theme. It’s not that much to do.
Now if they don’t want to integrate the support aspect in the theme (which would be a bit sad…) they can still go for the zealous eradicator theme, but it fits less with what the character actually does !

In the end you can see that I changed my way of thinking this spec and I tried to integrate what A.Net have already decided for it. But still I come back to the same conclusions.

(edited by Ojyh.9842)

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

The whole design of the Dragonhunter is in every aspect so incoherent with each other concept element, that is absolutely normal and understandable, that the community would make a huge outlash about the unfitting name.

Elite Specializations are just changed PARTS of a Profession, into which you specialized. So this means, an Elite Specialization from a profession, in this case the Guardian have to change parts of what the Guardian already does and specialize into these things and not completely change the Profession into a completely different direction.
Anet wants with this Elite Specialization to give the Guardian a more offensive Gameplay. Thats absolutely fine, also when I think they should give them Shortbows with Traits that increasse their Range to that of a Longbow, because Warriors already have Longbows. However, even when giving the profession a more offensive gameplay, its name should stay in the realms of what the guardian as profession defines of which values the profession provides.
These values for the Guardian are:

• Virtues (Justice in this case mainly)
  • Light (their Main Theme Element they use is Light)
  • Boon Heavy (The Gameplay of the Guardian is very boon heavy, so it owuld be weird when Elite Specs of the Guardian lose that and make no use of it)
  • Zealotry (its a connotation that you have in your mind, when you just look at their design and think about Virtues like Justice especially, then you shoold have a good understanding about it, why Dragonhunter doesn’t fit here)

The way ANet introduces them leads to the thinking, that there must be something, that makes them anyhow alot more special or better suited for that task of hunting down the dragons and more especially it makes you ask yourself…

“*Why do I even play still class X, when ANet thinks that their games needs somethign so superficial like anyhow “superior” Dragonhunters, which make by their pure existance look all other playable professions like something unworthy to play, like inferior beigns that aren’t well enough suited for the job to be called a Dragonhunter?*

Putting at the end then also oil into the fire and insult everyone basically as a simpleton that is unable to understand the reasons why the spec is named Dragonhunter and calling it some kind of “High Concept”.

The community has shown with alot of well written comments, that they criticize the name not just only out of blind rage, but we come up also with alot of constructive criticism and alot of good alternative names, where ANet would just have to pick out of the options something, that they like best.

Under a Sentinel/Warden/Seeker/Inquisitor/Justiciar you can imagine for yourself a working righterous profession, which by design would fit the most to the original guardian gameplay, the light element, the witchhunter reference and the longbow/trap gameplay (see for that GW1 Seeking Arrows) that is in fact also a profession and not just only a superficial title for everyone, whose job it is to cater for right and justice, to bring order to Tyria and to find the Truth behind the dangerous threat of the Elder Dragons, wherefore the three broaded terms fit the absolute most.
Anything of those options would be by far alot more mature, than to call the Elite Spec Dragonhunter.

How extremely non high concept and unmature this term is, can you quickly realize by the tons of sarcastic comments people bring up for name suggestions now, how quickly you can come up with such simple minded terms and to call them “high concept” just in hope, this way the term comes over as beign something more “special”, when in fact it is not all all something special which can be referred to as being a unique profession, which looks, works and functionizes in the game also like a profession andn ot like a generic title that everyone can wear as a PC or as a Pact NPC who hunts down the dragons together with everyone els,e because everyone sees in the dragons the most dangerous threat for Tyria.

God darn it, this is even the very reason, why the PACT was created at all, because all playable races realized, that the dragons are a much more dangerous threat, than their own personal issues they have had with each other before !!

If you care for your own game as much, as like we do Anet, then you shoulld throw your own proud over board, which blinds you to realize, when it is better to rename something, when something on paper just sounds nice first, but in fact would just ruin the game and break immersion for many players.

@ojyh:

The best name, that fits the most to the whole Witchhunter reference would still be either Seeker/Inquisitor or Justiciar, cause all 3 names stand for super righterous offensive professions that come very near to what Witchhunters see in themself, plus they share the most the guardian values of virtues, zealotry and light

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

(edited by Orpheal.8263)

AikunFelcis.7258

snip

I totally agree. Name should be changed and related to the guardian profession, because this is guardian’s specialization. For guardian using longbow names like, for example, Sentinel/Warden/Seeker make sense and are related to core profession. Community gave many examples of different names that would fit the specialization and I hope that ArenaNet will change the name and choose fitting one for this spec.

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

While I think the whole decision they made to link the name to lore might make things quite restrictive, I think you guys aren’t being open enough with concepts of story that’d then reflect the spec’s name. Even roleplayers should be flexible to work with the lore of other players around them.

AikunFelcis.7258

While I think the whole decision they made to link the name to lore might make things quite restrictive, I think you guys aren’t being open enough with concepts of story that’d then reflect the spec’s name. Even roleplayers should be flexible to work with the lore of other players around them.

My problem with this is that IF the name is related to the story, then this shouldn’t be only reason to name a specialization. Spec should also have mechanic and skills that reflect/fit the name. Currently Virtues are Paragon-like. Skills are like for Holy Archer archetype. One elite skill has dragon’s maw animation and that’s it. Story reasons for me is not enough to name spec. Specialization is a composition of name, mechanic and skills, just like they did with chronomancer. Name Chronomancer indicates “Time Mage”. New Mechanic is manipulating time to get to checkpoint in time (continuum split) and skills are related to time manipulation. Guardian’s new mechanic and skills don’t give me the feeling that my character is Dragonhunter. This is Holy Archer mixed with Paragon. That’s it.

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

Anet please hire this person to develop the guardian

Posted by: caveman.5840

caveman.5840

26 pages . I don’t see what the big deal is it is just a name

it just kind of feels like guard is trying to hard to be a ranger with all the traps
still looks like It could be a fun class spec though

(edited by caveman.5840)

MiniEquine.6014

Aw, shucks

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Surely anet knew how provocative and inflammatory a spec title like ‘dragonhunter’ would be. Finger on the pulse, and all that. I’m beginning to wonder if perhaps ‘Publicity Stunt’ would have been a more appropriate title…

High Concept: game company uses silly name to get people fired up and talking about their game, thereby attracting more attention.

“The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.” ~ Oscar Wilde.

Are we, fellow forumites, being played like a 1-pound bluegill on 20-pound test line?

The table is a fable.

dietzero.3514

Anyone ever work out if the Dragonhunter is a big game hunter or a witch hunter type? Anet said both, even though that is not possible.

Posted by: Rhiannon.1726

Rhiannon.1726

This is my opinion about some of the names which were mentioned in this thread:

Crusader (Latin “crux” → “cross”): The Crusaders killed thousands of innocent people in the name of god.

Templar: The Templars guarded the temple of Jerusalem.

→ Both words are historical/religious. They don’t describe someone who fights for justice and protects the people. The Crusaders and Templars were cruel people who fought for power and domination because “god wills it”.

Seeker: What do they seek?

Keeper: How does that fit to this specialization?

Sentinel, Warder (and Keeper would fit here, too): My dictionary gives me the same translation like guardian (→ Wächter). So these are just different words for the same thing → a person who guards something.

Vanguard: I don’t see how that fits to a range/backline specialization.

Zealot: That would maybe fit to a frontline warrior, but not to someone with longbow and traps.

Arbiter: My dictionary says it means “referee” or “mediator”. Why do you want to call someone who is hunting “referee”?

Valkyrie: Women in the Nordic mythology.

Paragon: The word would fit to the Guard itself, but not to a “Hunter” with traps.

Words with “light”: Like “Paragon” the theme with “light” fits to the Guard itself. So why call the specialization like the main theme of the Guard? (I hope you understand what I mean)

Words which have something to do with “justice” or “protection”: Like “light” it’s also part of the main theme of the Guardian. I don’t see any connection to the specialization.

Words with “angel”: Too “religious”.

Justiciar, Seraph or other words which are/were used as ranks (or for a group of people) in GW or GW2: That would just be weird.

It seems that some of you just search for English words which sound “cool”, without really knowing (or caring for) their meaning.

The name Dragonhunter is not perfect (because everyone wants to kill dragons) but at least it fits better than the other names in this thread.

The Guardian protects the people from evil with aegis, blinds…
The Dragonhunter protects the people by going out into the wild to hunt down the greatest evil of Tyria.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Words with “angel”: Too “religious”.

Justiciar, Seraph or other words which are/were used as ranks (or for a group of people) in GW or GW2: That would just be weird.

A seraph is a high-ranking angel. So angelic names/ranks are already in use in game. That’s why I included cherub and ophanim in my suggestions for alternate names for the (sigh) dragonhunter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seraphim
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_angelic_hierarchy

The table is a fable.

AikunFelcis.7258

Mesmer and Necromancer got really cool & fitting specialization’s name (Chronomancer and Reaper) reflected in skill/gameplay/theme as it seems. “Dragonhunter” totally fails at this, unfortunately.

dietzero.3514

Mesmer and Necromancer got really cool & fitting specialization’s name (Chronomancer and Reaper) reflected in skill/gameplay/theme as it seems. “Dragonhunter” totally fails at this, unfortunately.

Because those two are Robert, while the Guardian is Karl.

Thieves are in trouble…

Posted by: Bingo.2174

Bingo.2174

Go look at how great the necro introduction was- video, description, gear and traits were all cohesive and the video was in character and so polished.

Guardians got rippppped off.

Posted by: Bingo.2174

Bingo.2174

Because those two are Robert, while the Guardian is Karl.

Thieves are in trouble…

Wow. >_> Well, all hail Robert and let’s hope Karl McLain learns a bit from him….

Posted by: Boro.7359

Boro.7359

++1 agreed. That way we won’t feel they are ursurping the rangers (I have one that leveled from 10 to 20 from her own birthday present because it’s so boring), meanwhile Guards get everything.

Plus, I’d love to see the not-so-imba-gon return, short-range chants are a good way to promote stacking (wait what? why not single targeted that allow us to target allies?)), and these ranged support symbols could be a fun thing to play.

Posted by: Joey.2769

Joey.2769

I’m on the fence with the guardian, we can see how the skills really mesh with the theme soon.

Commander X Swagalicious X
Commander Twerknificient
Joey Bladow

Posted by: Boro.7359

Boro.7359

And we have reaper confirmed. (Keep up the pressure folks, them devs will cave in )

Posted by: Arrk.4102

Arrk.4102

What annoys me the most are the people who go "oh it’s just a name it doesn’t matter ". Well if it doesn’t matter, then let us have the change.
Now I myself would love either Sentinel or Arbiter. Sentinel because it evokes these defensive themes but ccomes off as a tad more aggressive then Guardian. The Arbiter would continue to build on the Judge theme that Guardian has with Judge’s Intervention, Virtue of Justice, all the of Judgment skills,and traits like Justice is Blind, Supreme Justice.

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

That’s almost exactly what a Paragon class would be like. But there’s people who think the name shouldn’t be given to a Guardian specialization. The Paragon name; the class in general, is so iconic that it should be a stand alone class within itself. Because, lore.

A pact is specifically set up to hunt down the Elder Dragons.
Everyone in the pact is a dragon hunter.
Guardians are extra special dragon hunters?

Anyone ever work out if the Dragonhunter is a big game hunter or a witch hunter type? Anet said both, even though that is not possible.

The problem is not just the name: It is the role of the name!!!

Darksyze im disappointed. You forgot to quote some irrelevant literature.

“Just because one judges, does not make one a Judge?”

“Just because one sings, does not make one a singer”

“Just because one write, does not make one a writer”

“Just because one shoots bows, does not make one a hunter?”

“Just because one shoots at ranges, does not make one a ranger”

“Just because one dances, does not make one a dancer”

Just because Guardian Profession hunt dragons, makes them a Dragon Hunter?

We all will be fighting and hunting dragons would that make us all Dragon Hunters?

It make no sense right?

If it make no sense, there’s no sense in doing it”.

You got it backwards. Yes, just because one sings doesn’t make him a Singer – A singer “specializes” in singing, or you could say he does it for a living. And that is why even though we all hunt dragons we aren’t dragon hunters, but the Guardians that specialize in/make a living of hunting Dragons ARE, in fact, dragon hunters. Your own example brought you down, be ashamed :p

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Continued…

A couple notes on Dragonhunter. We went with this name because we felt it was evocative of the medieval witch hunters. Guardians consider themselves protectors of the innocent. Followers of their faith be it in honor, valor, etc. The origin of the dragonhunter is a more subtle nuanced version of this. Guardians fight for justice and the dragonhunter faction believes justice is the eradication of dragons and their minions. I understand this is a lot more high concept than Mesmer but at the end of the day we felt like we wanted to try and push a more mature theme here. I hope this helps explain our thinking. We had other generic names in mind but felt like it was important to have a mix of spec names that are generic fantasy, more Tyrian fantasy, and more high concept. This one falls more in the third category.

Thanks,

Jon

While i respect and your logic, the explanation, and even the name choice for the Elite Spec, allow me to play devils advocate for a moment. I belive the crux of the argument is that for the majority of players, because the games primary antagonists are the elder dragons, they feel in some way they are already hunting dragons, and are thus Dragonhunters. Both the players idea of that, and your explantion of where the name Dragonhunter comes from are valid, but to the players, the subtleness and nuance of the title gets overshadowed by the preconcived ’I already was a dragonhunter". The other known names, Chronomancer and Tempest have the distinction of being things other classes cannot claim to already be. A warrior cannot claim to be a chronomancer, a Ranger cannot claim to be a Tempest. The community would feel better as a whole if the name reflected that nature as well. “A Guardian can be a (elitespec) but a Necromancer cant”

When you fill in Dragonhunter; at its most literal level that creates a false statement in the eyes of the player, thus creating a diminished feeling, since the idea behind Elite Spec was to bring something unique.

I am fine with the name, but I feel this is the core argument against the name.

This ^ is the reason why these thread even exists. No need to get side tracked with other impertinent reasons

Considering how there seems to be no one who would be satisfied with the name, I’m surprised Anet hasn’t bothered changing the kitten thing.

See the Engineer “hobosack” thread. Repeating and restating the same things over and over again. They got a change. They liked it. There wasn’t much, if any, “I don’t like this new change, use my idea instead. Even hobosacks were better.”

The hobo thread got a 99% agreement but took weeks(months?) of feed back and thread bumps until Anet positively agreed that there was going to be a change. The turret thread got an arguably lower agreement rate but Anet were relatively quick to make the change. So they had to of already been thinking that the change was needed.

There’s so many valid points and few disagreements from this thread and the Guard thread; as well as, Anet actually liking the name. We don’t even know if they already incorporated the name in the PvE elements (lore/story/texts). Anet can’t hastily take action.
Let’s not forget that there’s 4 other specialization names that we have yet to seen. If Anet takes action, it wont be until those names are released and this thread lasts as long (or longer) as hobosacks did.

Do I believe Dragonhunter is too strong of a name? Probably. But the name does indeed put the point across. Not just the kind of specialization they are, but also the Guardian’s new backstory. Assuming they evolve the Guardian’s morality to match that of what Jon was portraying the name to be. I have to see what the next 5 specialization names are before I say Ok, Dragonhunter stick out like a sore thumb and needs to be changed."

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

(edited by Saiyan.1704)

Posted by: Jasher.6580

Jasher.6580

Druid = Cool Name
Tempest = Cool name
Chronomancer = Cool Name

and now…

Reaper = Very Cool Name