Enhanced Squad UI Feedback

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Darkademic.2603

Darkademic.2603

The new squad UI looks great, and includes features that I’ve wanted since the 2012 beta weekends.

There are a couple of things that I think would improve it though:

1.) An “Icon Visibility” option that can be set to Public, Guild or Squad.

2.) A “guild only” mode, which works like the open mode, but only guild members can join. I think this would compliment all the new guild-focused stuff being added.

I’m also not sure why commander-less squads need a 10 player restriction.

These suggestions come from being a guild leader, as I’ve always wanted to be able to run large guild groups easily, without bothering the rest a map with a commander icon, and the guild only mode would make it easier to form a guild only squad.

Cheers!

Dark

Guild Leader – DkR Dark Reavers
Creator/Owner – GW2 Guilds Index

(edited by Darkademic.2603)

Posted by: mexay.3902

mexay.3902

So with the new invite only option, will the commander tag be private? I know this has been a much requested feature but it wasn’t mentioned in the article.

If it’s not, is it planned or “on the table”? If not, is there a particular reason?

noice

Posted by: ITheNormalPerson.9275

ITheNormalPerson.9275

I’m not sure if it’ll be a private tag, but from what I gathered, you’ll be able to run a squad without a tag, and people in your squad can see you on the map. While not quite that same, it basically fills the purpose of having a private tag (at least in WvW)

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

Posted by: Rizo.9534

Rizo.9534

+1 To Guild ONLY squads.

Posted by: Varezenem.2813

Varezenem.2813

The new squad UI looks great, and includes features that I’ve wanted since the 2012 beta weekends.

2.) A “guild only” mode, which works like the open mode, but only guild members can join. I think this would compliment all the new guild-focused stuff being added.

These suggestions come from being a guild leader, as I’ve always wanted to be able to run large guild groups easily, without bothering the rest a map with a commander icon, and the guild only mode would make it easier to form a guild only squad.

Cheers!

Dark

Commander-less squads are for raiding only and raids are 10 man content.

Senbu Ren[Wind]
Herald of Ventari

Darkademic.2603

I understand that, I just don’t see why they have to be for raiding only. 50-man commander-less squads could be useful for open world / wvw content.

Being able to set icon visibility as mentioned would be enough though – if they want to keep the 50-man allowance a perk of having the commander icon.

Posted by: Lollipop.3204

Lollipop.3204

Icon visibility options and a guild only mode would be great, and I can’t imagine either of them taking a significant amount of dev time.

Posted by: Cookiezz.5261

Cookiezz.5261

Guild only would be neat.

I’m just excited for squads in general for guilds. Guild mission coordination will be so much smoother.

Posted by: Branden Gee.2150

Branden Gee.2150

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

Hey!
We’re going to be monitoring this thread for Squad UI Feedback. We’ll look at the other threads about squad ui as well, but this one is our favorite (tell your friends). I can’t say what feedback will and will not make it to the actual release of the Enhanced Squad UI, but it’s all appreciated!

Posted by: Tspatula.9086

Tspatula.9086

New Squad UI sooooo AWESOME!!! Having a squad “lieutenant” that could be assigned to someone in the squad who would have similar permissions as the squad leader and could carry out the functions of sub group composition, reorganization, and tasks. That way the commander could delegate these tasks if he or she choose to, so they can concentrate on strategy and tactics.

Posted by: sirjarros.4107

sirjarros.4107

SUGGESTION

In the recent blog post on the new Squad UI it is stated “Calling a target (default CTRL+T) is currently squad-wide, but will be changed to work within a subgroup at launch.”

For WvW there are many situations where it would be beneficial to be able to choose either squad-wide or subgroup or BOTH. If this is not already being considered, please strongly consider it.

I realize there may not be enough time by Oct 23rd, but if it launches with sub-group only and no squad-wide option, that would be highly sub-optimal and potentially confusing.

Thanks for the wonderful new UI and I hope it shines and exceeds expectations. Certainly stoked to try it out this weekend!!!

Posted by: SyLaR.3628

SyLaR.3628

Few ideas:

- Private commander tag icon – only squad members can see it.

- Two diffrent target options – Squad-wide target and subgroup target.

- A lot of WvW guilds are using different commander tags for different roles. Example one for melee leader, and another one for focus party. It seems like each squad can have only 1 commander tag, so guilds will have to split to different squads.
Add markers/different tags to assign different roles and make them visible to other people in your squad.

- Possibility of changing HP bar color.

- Visible conditions on members of your subgroup.

Slacking till CU/CF.

Posted by: The Geil.8605

The Geil.8605

So, I left my party and tagged up when the beta went live.

However, I am now unable to leave the squad. Other commanders have same problems as well where we are Unable to access the party/squad UI properly.

Example: http://prntscr.com/8n06ua

EDIT: Fix found. You will have to completely restart your game.

Seafarer’s Rest – Get off Me [LAND]
GW2.Ninja – Tickets.GW2.Ninja – Collections.GW2.Ninja – Directory.GW2.Ninja
Want a GW2.Link shortlink? Send me an in-game message.

(edited by The Geil.8605)

Posted by: Selendra Shaldreth.8104

Selendra Shaldreth.8104

I really love the new healthbars in the Squad UI, but could we get a color differentiation for necro shrouds? It will probably be very confusing to glance over and think "Oh no they’re dying " but it’s just their DS running out. =x

~Veteran~

Posted by: Cookiezz.5261

Cookiezz.5261

I think theres another thread designated as the squad UI feedback thread (https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Enhanced-Squad-UI-Feedback/first#post5554654) post that over there as well, because this is huge if anyone wants to be a support healing build, don’t want to waste a cooldown or something.

Selendra Shaldreth.8104

Thanks! Posting

~Veteran~

Selendra Shaldreth.8104

I really love the new healthbars in the Squad UI, but could we get a color differentiation for necro shrouds? It will probably be very confusing to glance over and think "Oh no they’re dying " but it’s just their DS running out. =x

~Veteran~

Posted by: My Sweet Lily.1952

My Sweet Lily.1952

It seems great, only that I got stuck in one. Whenever I try to leave it, it says ‘’player not found’’ Restarting the game fixed this.

Nymeriali #Druid
[TLA] Desolation (EU)

Posted by: Tuthan.3250

Tuthan.3250

I got this error with Squad UI:

“The player or channel cannot be found. Code =3008:1009:1:1709:101”

Posted by: The Geil.8605

The Geil.8605

The good:
- That the Squadgroup is not a different color but instead a different shape. I’m colorblind, so visual ques other than colors are really nice.

The bad:
- Having 50 man being blue names makes it incredibly difficult to see the blue commander tag. Commander tag really needs to be shown on top of names.

The missing:
- A setting to choose if people can make squadgroups themselves or if it’s the squad leader only to do so.
- Joining a squad while in a party should request the party to join the squad, if voted to do so, put them in their own subsquad as default.
- Squadgroups should be able to see boons and conditions somehow. This is important for cooperation.

I’ll update with more as I notice it.

Seafarer’s Rest – Get off Me [LAND]
GW2.Ninja – Tickets.GW2.Ninja – Collections.GW2.Ninja – Directory.GW2.Ninja
Want a GW2.Link shortlink? Send me an in-game message.

(edited by The Geil.8605)

Posted by: heartless.6803

heartless.6803

When you become commander on one character and log into another you’re still a commander but error out when you try to disband. It says something like “Character not found”. So it’s making the whole account go commander but you have to log back into the original character to disband.

Disclaimer: Under no circumstance should you take this seriously.

mexay.3902

Stuck in a squad please fix this asap.

Other feedback: Squad UI is scaling improperly atm. Squad UI doesn’t show boons or condis. This is a HUGE issue. You should at least be able to view your party/subsquad’s boons. This removes simple functionality that is integral to playing supportive roles in GW2.

noice

Posted by: Freddster.3176

Freddster.3176

Currently me and my guild is having a bug where neither of us can make a raid squad. We are all able to become commanders, but none of the new commander features are currently working =(

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Quoting as it has some revelency.

Hi all,

Welcome to the Raids forum. The Raids team has been very busy over the past year putting together the first GW2 raids and we are now very excited to be able to share our creation with you. As part of Beta Weekend 3 you have the opportunity to experience the first boss, in the first wing of the first raid release.

A Pact expeditionary force has gone missing while exploring the furthest reaches of Verdant Brink. Shortly after entering the Forsaken Thicket all contact with the team was lost. Gather your comrades and brave this new area as you try to discover exactly what befell them. Note that the challenges ahead will be some of the hardest you have experienced in all your travels throughout Tyria.

It is important to remember the Raid content and the Enhanced squad UI are still in beta and while we feel the content is in a position to share with you, we do have enhancements and polish work scheduled. Below is a short list of those areas we know are outstanding.

Enhanced squad UI
• Open Squad control – a squad’s ability to self-organize vs. Commander controlled – is not yet enabled.
• As we change over to the new squad format there will be some disruption in the way existing squads work. Disbanding and forming a new squad should help iron out any lingering incompatibility.
• Squad member nameplates (the green rectangles representing each squad member in the UI) can become sized differently between subgroups. Resizing the overall UI should fix it.
• Calling a target (default CTRL+T) is currently squad-wide, but is planned to work per subgroup.
• Subgroup chat is not visible by default. It can be enabled in the chat window’s Tab Options if desired.
• Ability to hide other commander tags is not yet enabled. Currently your squad’s Commander tag will be highlighted when any tag is hovered over to make it easier to identify.
• The ability to see per subgroup and squad total supply count in WvW is not yet enabled.

Raids
• The ability to create a Commander less Raid squad with limited functionality is not yet enabled. During the Beta weekend players can pick up a Commander Compendium for your beta character from the NPC at the entrance to the raid.
• Squad leaders need to change the type of their squad to “Raid” in order to be able to enter the raid.
• Raiders will have access to ascended gear at a beta-only vendor inside the raid instance.
• Players will only have access to playing the first encounter of the raid wing.
• Achievements are not hooked up.
• Rewards are not hooked up.

To enter the Raid –

1. Complete the Silver Wastes tutorial mission
2. Enter the portal to Verdant Brink.
3. Complete the first story mission and enter the map.
4. If you don’t already have a commander tag, once you’re in Verdant Brink, speak to the NPC “Whispers Keeper” and ask him to make you a squad commander. (This commander tag will be available only for this beta weekend.)
5. Open your inventory bags and double click the Commander Compendium.
6. Check your ability to be a commander using the Party/Squad UI panel in the top left of your screen. There should be a “create” button with a commander tag dropdown menu.
7. After creating a squad, use the dropdown menu in the squad panel to select “Raid” as your squad type.
8. Invite your friends to the squad as you would with a party.
9. Once you are ready, enter the portal next to the Whispers Keeper.
10. You are now inside the BWE3 version of the raid. You will have access to the first boss encounter (Vale Guardian) and the area surrounding him.

We look forward to your feedback and we hope you enjoy your time in the Spirit Vale.

Posted by: Aerial Melodies.4938

Aerial Melodies.4938

Commander left squad, now I’m forever stuck inside a squad even though I’m not actually in one… So now I can’t even get into the raid content. Awesome!

Ele for Hire

Posted by: Freddster.3176

Freddster.3176

Commander left squad, now I’m forever stuck inside a squad even though I’m not actually in one… So now I can’t even get into the raid content. Awesome!

Restarting yout client should fix this

mexay.3902

Currently the Squad UI doesn’t display boons or conditions. WHile I understand there are certain constraints with displaying this, I feel it’s necessary for Squad UI to be useful at all.

Simply put, it’s useless without it. Sure, creating parties and viewing everyone’s health is neat but if you can’t see who has stability, who has might and how much, you aren’t getting out of it what you would from a party. Hopefully this gets added before release.

In terms of the actual UI I think a better way to do with would be something similar to Simplified Party UI, or even just add your subsquad to the top in this form and add there boons. I’m sure the wonderful art team and UI team at ANet can figure this one out

noice

(edited by mexay.3902)

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

There should be a button in the UI to convert party into Squad.

In fact, change the baseline squad to automatic change into the new UI.

thats whats confusing a lot of people.

Ayrilana.1396

We are experiencing issues with the enhanced Squad UI that is having an impact on other areas of the game. Due to this issue, we are temporarily disabling the UI. This will subsequently impact the ability for players to enter raids.

We will be working to address this issue as quickly as possible and will reinstate the UI and raid functionality as soon as we can do so.

Posted by: Aerial Melodies.4938

Aerial Melodies.4938

Restarting yout client should fix this

Tried that, didn’t work. Looks like Gaile made an announcement that it was turned off, which explains why I can’t make a new one. Doesn’t quite explain why it still thinks I’m in the old one, but I’ll wait until she announces a fix.

Ele for Hire

Posted by: Asami.3572

Asami.3572

I think it’d be a nice addition to the UI for commanders to be able to hide their tag from people that are not in their squad

Silver Koneko/Silver Kom Trikru/Lime Dorito
BG

Posted by: Tuomir.1830

Tuomir.1830

I agree – since it seems parties and squads are now mutually exclusive, there’s no way of keeping track of the boons and conditions of the people who would’ve been in your party otherwise.

Only fools and heroes charge in without a plan.

Darkademic.2603

While it’d be useful information, how could you possibly fit that many icons in for so many (50) players?

You could maybe just have red and gold pips, but I don’t see how you’d be able to display the actual icons without taking up far too much screen space. Unless only a small subset are displayed, or they’re only displayed for groups of 10 or fewer.

Posted by: Wwefan.4982

Wwefan.4982

My squad UI completely disappeared after I died in the raid instance.

Sylvari mean

Posted by: Runiir.6425

Runiir.6425

Darkademic, hit the problem on the head. It would take up too much real estate beyond 10 people.

Posted by: Runiir.6425

Runiir.6425

This, at least make Necro’s using Shroud have a green health bar or something so you don’t freak out the group as it ends, heh.

Posted by: MUNMU.7326

MUNMU.7326

I liked the UI while it worked. We had a problem in raid that the UI disappeared when we died and revived at checkpoint. After then we couldn’t see the UI at all. All of us had the problem. But overall UI was nice, I liked the option to resize it and it’s really simple and shows the player’s health in a neat way. After you make it not disappear I’ll give it a thumbs up. I didn’t see if it showed any conditions on allies, but if there could be option for that too, it would be great.

Then kind of not related the Squad UI, the actual Squad mechanics. First of all, you shouldn’t be able to join freely to any squad. I prefer similiar system as party, where someone has to accept you in the party(/squad). We had a problem when organizing our squad that someone just joined our squad and we couldn’t kick him out. We had AGAIN to organize our squad all again in other place to prevent people just joining in.

Also the squad/party system was really bugged; we couldn’t leave a party after we joined (we had to have all party members offline to get the party dispanded) and commander couldn’t add anyone to squad if we didn’t restart our games. This caused us almost an hour of just organizing our people to get into the raid and restarting our games. I really like the squad system if just these bugs could be fixed.

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

You cant invite people who are outside certain range or in another instance, not sure if this is intended or bug but if it is intended, I think it is better if it can function like a party invitation.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: ReaverKane.7598

ReaverKane.7598

I can’t even create a squad anymore, stuck in old squad mode. I tag up and UI doesnt’ show.

Ayrilana.1396

I can’t even create a squad anymore, stuck in old squad mode. I tag up and UI doesnt’ show.

It’s been disabled until they fix the bugs.

Posted by: Spurnshadow.3678

Spurnshadow.3678

Cheers!

Dark

We have groups in WvW that run “commanderless” all the time. This is to prevent spies from tag watching. Also, if we want to run private or not to take pugs off another commander, we’ll run tagless. This would be a great feature for WvW.

Blackgate Native. It takes tremendous strength and skill to pull a lever.

ReaverKane.7598

In my guild i have a hierarchy that consists of a “officer” for every 10 players and a “seargent” to head each party.
Would be nice if squad had an option to show off which is which.

Posted by: Sevy.6987

Sevy.6987

A few minor things which I feel would improve the functionality of the new Squad UI:

• Dragging player ‘up’ to create a new sub-squad felt awkward. Either dragging ‘down’ or having a right-click option in the context menu would feel nicer and more intuitive.
  • Not being able to see boons / conditions hinders my ability to react to party members in distress or boon application.
  • The ‘Broadcast’ portion of the UI impedes my view a bit when acting as a squad leader. I would like an option to either reduce its opacity or hide it when I don’t need to use it.
  • When moving players to and from subgroups, the scaling for the squad UI behaves awkwardly. It also messes with other squad members’ UI when making changes to squad composition (it feels like it shouldn’t be doing that at all). An option that could work is to keep the scaling static for squad member bars per squad member and scale the squad panel around that.

ReaverKane.7598

A /broadcast chat command would be nice to replace the window, which is cumbersome.

mexay.3902

A few minor things which I feel would improve the functionality of the new Squad UI:

• Dragging player ‘up’ to create a new sub-squad felt awkward. Either dragging ‘down’ or having a right-click option in the context menu would feel nicer and more intuitive.
  • Not being able to see boons / conditions hinders my ability to react to party members in distress or boon application.
  • The ‘Broadcast’ portion of the UI impedes my view a bit when acting as a squad leader. I would like an option to either reduce its opacity or hide it when I don’t need to use it.
  • When moving players to and from subgroups, the scaling for the squad UI behaves awkwardly. It also messes with other squad members’ UI when making changes to squad composition (it feels like it shouldn’t be doing that at all). An option that could work is to keep the scaling static for squad member bars per squad member and scale the squad panel around that.

This. This this this. It summarises all the changes that are needed for squads to be great. Fix the broadcast, change some very minor functionalities. Display more information for us and improve subgroups a little and I’ll even buy a second account.

Absolutely loving all HoT has to offer and squads are amazing, but they still need that final touch to be what they truly can be.

noice

Posted by: Seth Moonshadow.2710

Seth Moonshadow.2710

Is it only selected accounts? I am not getting the new squad UI. I tried using the Compendium from the vendor in Verdant Brinks and it says I already have the content unlocked.

| Dungeon Adventures | Blackgate | PvE | Lost Precipice | Gilded Hallow | Windswept Haven (soon)
http://www.dungeon-adventures.com

Posted by: Seth Moonshadow.2710

Seth Moonshadow.2710

So Finally was able to get new squad UI as a leader after recent patch. After creating a squad and some one joining it kicked me out. Squad disbanded and now I cannot log back in. I was not able to log in with either of my beta chars and was able to use a non beta char to disband squad and gain access to beta again.

| Dungeon Adventures | Blackgate | PvE | Lost Precipice | Gilded Hallow | Windswept Haven (soon)
http://www.dungeon-adventures.com

Posted by: LadyAife.4157

LadyAife.4157

So what exactly is the intent with squads?

I would expect that a commander should be able to re-assign parties based on comp if necessary by dragging members to sub-groups. IE. moving a guard/druid to each group for boon sharing/cleanses…

Perhaps it was because we were not all beta-chars and in open world?

NM reading prior posts it was because comm dragged down. Dragging up is not intuitive at all….

Darkademic.2603

Lots of people are suggesting boons/conditions need to be shown, but nobody has yet described how it’d be possible. I can’t really imagine a way to display that many icons for that many players, so it’d need to be simplified quite a bit – maybe just even a single icon or border colour for “this player has a condition” for example.

ReaverKane.7598

Lots of people are suggesting boons/conditions need to be shown, but nobody has yet described how it’d be possible. I can’t really imagine a way to display that many icons for that many players, so it’d need to be simplified quite a bit – maybe just even a single icon or border colour for “this player has a condition” for example.

Well, the squad already has 2 modes: Raid and Squad.
IMO the Condis just need to be displayed with Raid mode (10 player).
So pretty much they just need to figure out a way to insta change the Raid display UI into something like 2 “simplified party” UIs stacked. This would be better than current UI for raids, keeping the current UI for the larger 50 man squads.