Pre-Purchase Community Address

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Ephemiel.5694

Ephemiel.5694

http://www.pcgamer.com/guild-wars-2-players-rightly-upset-by-heart-of-thorns-pre-purchase-scheme/

Anet, when will you realize you’re letting this get way out of control? You guys kittened up, HARD, but at the very least ADDRESS US. Talk to us about this. Ignoring it like it meant nothing will hurt YOU in the end.

“Would you kindly?”

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: vincecontix.1264

vincecontix.1264

Guys $50 is the price of the expansion only those who pre-purchase get the the core game from free. Those who pre-order aren’t paying for the the core gw2 game.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/HoT-Price-Feedback-Base-game-included-merged
New players getting the core game for free is a good thing for the game overall.

WoodenPotatoes Review of the HoT per-purchase sums up things well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUtMGS3ezLI

Now if there is something to discuss if would be $50 price tag, though it is a bit high its kinda standard price for a lot of expansions.

Shikamaru X Thief, Warrior, Mesmer, Engi(FT leader)
Highest ranked reached 28 soloq
Isle of Janthir

Posted by: TRON.1085

TRON.1085

Gimme a break WP is completely biased as hell…

Posted by: Pandeh.5248

Pandeh.5248

Gimme a break WP is completely biased as hell…

Which he also says himself.

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Youve posted the same kittening message 5x now in diff threads..Stop it already you fool.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Guys $50 is the price of the expansion only those who pre-purchase get the the core game from free. Those who pre-order aren’t paying for the the core gw2 game.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/HoT-Price-Feedback-Base-game-included-merged
New players getting the core game for free is a good thing for the game overall.

WoodenPotatoes Review of the HoT per-purchase sums up things well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUtMGS3ezLI

Now if there is something to discuss if would be $50 price tag, though it is a bit high its kinda standard price for a lot of expansions.

they should get the game at the base games price.

and old players should be able to get an expansion at an expansions price.

an expansion should not cost as much as the initial product UNLESS it is as big as the initial product.

basically they should have created a collected version for like 50-60 bucks(with hot and core), and sold an expansion, or upgrade to people for some lesser value based on how much content they were adding/or extras they were offering.

Its not genius, its fairly common, and smart.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Street-Fighter-IV-Digital/dp/B00JAK0P7Y if you have the original
http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Street-Fighter-Online-Game/dp/B00JAK0NUS/ref=sr_1_1_twi_2_sof?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1434703817&sr=1-1&keywords=ultra+streetfighter+4
if you dont.

see you CAN do both at once

other game Standard Edition upgrade

PlayStation®3 & PlayStation®4
Package – $39.99 / Digital Download – $39.99
Windows®
Package – $39.99 / Digital Download – $39.99

An all-in-one bundle that includes the standard edition of both (upgrade and core)

PlayStation®3 & PlayStation®4
Package – $59.99 / Digital Download – $59.99
Windows®
Package – $59.99 / Digital Download – $59.99
Mac OS
Digital Download – $59.99

WOW a price for a new player that equals a normal new game cost with both! and a price for people who are upgrading that costs less! CRAZY!

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

It’s hard for them to talk when they are spending so much time and energy holding up the flame shield.

Attachments:

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

Alright now you have done it, I now want a shiny new flame shield along with a character slot, explanation, and apology.

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

No! Flame shields come only with a charr plushie, hugs, and a cup of coffee!

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Yep, it’s only getting worse. The more gaming sites that start to cover this and side with the unhappy players, the worse ANet look for there silence.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: KGS.9842

KGS.9842

a pretty reasonable article

Posted by: vangunda.2506

vangunda.2506

Good. I hope they continue to draw attention to this kind of stuff.

#BoycotHoT2015

Posted by: Explodie.9428

Explodie.9428

Okay after reading this i found out we in europe have to pay more then americans do?

Normal pack costs $50 wich is € 44.07 and we have to pay € 44.99 wich is $ 51.08 ( $1.08 more Its nothing to say about that is normal)
The deluxe version costs $75 wich is € 66.06 we have to pay € 74.99 wich is $ 85.14 ( $ 10.14 more its huge!!)
The ultimate version costs $100 wich is € 88.08 we have to pay € 99.99 wich is $ 113.53 ( $ 13.53 more, its huge)

(I’ve converted this with the status for 20-6-2015 at 00.22 GMT+01)

Posted by: Ricky.4706

Ricky.4706

wait a sec, highest votes in reddit history, massively covered it, now pcgamer …..I’m starting to wonder if they did this on purpose for free press lol

someone knows what they are doing. debating if i want to laugh or make it backfire lol

IBM PC XT 4.77mhz w/turbo oc@ 8mhz 640kb windows 3.1 hayes 56k seagate 20 meg HD mda@720x350 pixels

Posted by: HoangAn.2085

HoangAn.2085

wait a sec, highest votes in reddit history, massively covered it, now pcgamer …..I’m starting to wonder if they did this on purpose for free press lol

someone knows what they are doing. debating if i want to laugh or make it backfire lol

Thing is there is such a thing as bad press, I could only imagine them turn this around and make it amazing when everyone is watching xD

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

I’ll just say one thing to the UK people. I’m in Canada, and have to pay USD. There is no CDN $ option. My dollar is now worth 80% of the US dollar. So my cost would be $60 – and no extra character slot – nothing. For $60. Ouch. No thanks. Might as well add that the Ultimate pre-buy pack would cost me $120 CDN. That’s TWO full size brand new games, or a really nice Coach purse :p

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

(edited by ozmaniandevil.6805)

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

You know what’s funny? most people in comment section are defending Anet. Goes to show how mad GW2 community became. Sad to see but the problem is on community not Anet.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Posted by: Gray.9041

Gray.9041

Okay after reading this i found out we in europe have to pay more then americans do?

Normal pack costs $50 wich is € 44.07 and we have to pay € 44.99 wich is $ 51.08 ( $1.08 more Its nothing to say about that is normal)
The deluxe version costs $75 wich is € 66.06 we have to pay € 74.99 wich is $ 85.14 ( $ 10.14 more its huge!!)
The ultimate version costs $100 wich is € 88.08 we have to pay € 99.99 wich is $ 113.53 ( $ 13.53 more, its huge)

tax differences. US sales tax averages at about 5.45% european taxes are between 15-27% more or less accounts for the difference.

Random.4691

You know what’s funny? most people in comment section are defending Anet. Goes to show how mad GW2 community became. Sad to see but the problem is on community not Anet.

Yes this is completely the communities fault …

We all just woke up one day and thought “hey guys let’s get together and see if we can make a game we love(d) burn to the ground for no reason at all” “WHO’S WITH ME” !

Next you’ll be telling us that when a crime is committed it is always the victims fault because, maybe they didn’t run away fast enough …

Posted by: Explodie.9428

Explodie.9428

tax differences. US sales tax averages at about 5.45% european taxes are between 15-27% more or less accounts for the difference.

But why almost no difference on the $ 50 ?

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

taxes, tariffs, can result in the price diff between countries.

also, its possible the silence is because anet has to ask their ncsoft overlords for permission to address it. it was the ncsoft forecast that we started to guess the release date

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Posted by: CalamityO.2890

CalamityO.2890

inthecubbyhole.wordpress.com

Posted by: Aria.5940

Aria.5940

I’m starting to actually see a point why they are not addressing the issue yet. As much as I hate to say it, every article about this mentions how great value it is to new players. So I guess it’s possible anet want as many potential players to hear about this and so caused the uproar deliberately.
I really do hope that’s not the case, as that would be reason enough to walk and not look back and might also leave potential new players wondering if they can trust anet.

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

It’s a big company. It’s a big outrage.
If there’s a statement coming out, it’ll take ‘some time’.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

Posted by: vangunda.2506

vangunda.2506

That isn’t on point. It’s just more of the same self-entitled whining, except now it has been given a voice by the media. Whoopdy-doo. How happy you must be to feel ‘validated’ in your ‘outrage.’

Grow up.

^ This dude certainly is mad. Yes so much self entitled whining to have an opinion that the content shown so far for HoT which is less than the first feature pack is not worth 50 dollars. Yes so much crying about how the game was built and SOLD on the premise of persistent FREE content updates and yet her we are 3 years down the road being milked for 50 more dollars.

#BoycotHoT2015

Random.4691

It is a great value to new player’s and it is also a smart business move. There is a way to go about it though, that is where Anet completely missed the boat.

Posted by: MoonStoneX.9245

MoonStoneX.9245

Highest Voted in Guild Wars 2 Sub-Reddit not Reddits History big difference.

Gray.9041

I ran the numbers a while back, and I think between the tax differences and the currency conversion, it works out about the same.

Posted by: Windsagio.1340

Windsagio.1340

PC gamer knows who buys their subscriptions.

Posted by: Gundam Zephyr.6713

Gundam Zephyr.6713

That isn’t on point. It’s just more of the same self-entitled whining, except now it has been given a voice by the media. Whoopdy-doo. How happy you must be to feel ‘validated’ in your ‘outrage.’

Grow up.

^ This dude certainly is mad. Yes so much self entitled whining to have an opinion that the content shown so far for HoT which is less than the first feature pack is not worth 50 dollars. Yes so much crying about how the game was built and SOLD on the premise of persistent FREE content updates and yet her we are 3 years down the road being milked for 50 more dollars.

I’m not mad. I pre-ordered yesterday the moment it became available and look forward to spending hundreds more hours in HoT content.

If you don’t feel the content presently unveiled is worth the price, don’t pre-order yet (or wait until a sale after release). It’s your money and your decision. But coming onto the forums and demanding that new players not get the base game for free, or that veterans are somehow ‘missing out’ is childish and misinformed behavior.

If you want to continue acting like a child, expect to be treated like one.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I remember EA pulling a PR stunt over the ME3 ending fiasco, “The most talked about ending in video game history” or something like that. If you saw that and know nothing about how much the borked the end of the game till they patched it, you’d be thinking this must be the greatest game ever, I must buy it. Probably worked too.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Ephemiel.5694

Ephemiel.5694

Grow up.

I’m not mad. I pre-ordered yesterday the moment it became available and look forward to spending hundreds more hours in HoT content.

If you don’t feel the content presently unveiled is worth the price, don’t pre-order yet (or wait until a sale after release). It’s your money and your decision. But coming onto the forums and demanding that new players not get the base game for free, or that veterans are somehow ‘missing out’ is childish and misinformed behavior.

Only we’re not acting like children and it’s drones like you that are the problem.

“Would you kindly?”

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

Grow up.

Only we’re not acting like children and it’s drones like you that are the problem.

Apparently it is acting like a child to express your dislike for being treated like an unimportant nobody when you’ve been a loyal and paying customer for 3 years.

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

Guys this stink you’ve made over essentially nothing (its £5 you’re screaming about and new players getting something free) could really damage the company now… Stop it.

Guild Wars has been an excellent franchise for 10 years, don’t drag it through the mud because you ‘feel’ you’re owed something more (again this something more is TINY). Its not worth the damage.

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

Not providing a character slot in an expansion that adds a new class, is kittening the playerbase, whichever way you spin it.

Not even counting the other 3 issues:
- expansion is very light on content for $50/bad value
- old players effectively subsidising new players/old players getting kittened over
- blatant bait and switch on discounting base game recently to suck in players with FAQ clearly stating base game required to play, then give the base game away for free, then editing the FAQ.

kittening your customers over is never a good move. The Anet/GW2 brand has just taken another serious hit, and for what? you could have given existing customers a free character slot or 2 (or some other minor upgrade) and the backlash would have been greatly reduced.

But you’ve shown your hand now (greedy, manipulative, disrespectful), and that perception is going to be hard to claw back.

downed state is bad for PVP

(edited by scerevisiae.1972)

Posted by: Pretty Pixie.8603

Pretty Pixie.8603

Guys this stink you’ve made over essentially nothing (its £5 you’re screaming about and new players getting something free) could really damage the company now… Stop it.

Guild Wars has been an excellent franchise for 10 years, don’t drag it through the mud because you ‘feel’ you’re owed something more (again this something more is TINY). Its not worth the damage.

How about you point your little finger at Anet? They’re the ones not giving existing customers value for money.They had 3 days to adress it, and have remained silent.

This is a situation of their making. Loyalty is earned, not given.

Relentless Inquisition [PAIN] – FA

Posted by: Ricky.4706

Ricky.4706

stop trying to stop it, Anet should count their blessings for even complaints ….that’s the better choice than people yawning and ignoring them. Silence is death. If anet was being ignored and no posts being made on the forum, then you should worry, but all this fuss just shows that people care …..I can show you a ton of software that people could care less if they got it right or wrong, or for that matter even gave it away free.

The problem is, GW2, is looking for new people and taking their fans for granted.

That IS a problem, and anyone that disagrees should look up the term Stockholm Syndrome.

No, if I care for guildwars, care for me before I stop complaining and stop talking about it. That’s deadlier than a complaint.

IBM PC XT 4.77mhz w/turbo oc@ 8mhz 640kb windows 3.1 hayes 56k seagate 20 meg HD mda@720x350 pixels

Coulter.2315

Not providing a character slot in an expansion that adds a new class, is kittening the playerbase, whichever way you spin it.

Not even counting the other 2 issues:
- old players effectively subsidising new players/old players getting kittened over

You have played the game for up to 3 years, LS1 (new people cannot play), LS2 (new people must pay), got a level 80 ready to jump into the new content, have in game financial headstart on the new people. Old players are not subsidising new ones – new ones are just not being asked to pay for the core game (which they are getting 3yrs late).

They haven’t announced enough to get you to preorder – thats entirely logical and fine – you don’t then cause such an outcry that its being covered by the media (its the outcry they are covering not the preorder).

Again the extra char slot is £5 is it worth the damage of the Guild Wars name? When people google “GW2” you know what they’ll see? Lots of screaming from people and they’ll be put off… This is bad for the game.

Think more long term than £5, the shock and damage to the Guild Wars reputation as a good game – and it is, look how many people are posting so passionately – will really hurt its future. I hope no one here would want that.

Coulter.2315

How about you point your little finger at Anet? They’re the ones not giving existing customers value for money.They had 3 days to adress it, and have remained silent.

If you could give an example of a Guild Wars product in the last 10 years that hasn’t been worth the box price I’ll stop. Since you won’t be able to THAT earned loyalty – good products consistantly (not some extra fluff for launch).

Gray.9041

If you could give an example of a Guild Wars product in the last 10 years that hasn’t been worth the box price I’ll stop. Since you won’t be able to THAT earned loyalty – good products consistantly (not some extra fluff for launch).

hey, I trust my friends and family. but when one starts waving a gun in my face (which we’ll use as a loose analogy for the way HoT is being dealt with), that trust is suddenly very much in question.

Posted by: Zalavaaris.5329

Zalavaaris.5329

You have played the game for up to 3 years, LS1 (new people cannot play), LS2 (new people must pay), got a level 80 ready to jump into the new content, have in game financial headstart on the new people. Old players are not subsidising new ones – new ones are just not being asked to pay for the core game (which they are getting 3yrs late).

They haven’t announced enough to get you to preorder – thats entirely logical and fine – you don’t then cause such an outcry that its being covered by the media (its the outcry they are covering not the preorder).

Again the extra char slot is £5 is it worth the damage of the Guild Wars name? When people google “GW2” you know what they’ll see? Lots of screaming from people and they’ll be put off… This is bad for the game.

Think more long term than £5, the shock and damage to the Guild Wars reputation as a good game – and it is, look how many people are posting so passionately – will really hurt its future. I hope no one here would want that.

Maybe a swift kick in the kitten is what they need to get the message that their customers deserve at least their respect. They are making a VERY large portion of their customers feel bad when thinking about something that should be exciting. Not addressing that and finding a way to make us feel better about our purchase is extremely disappointing. I’m less angry than I am disappointed that my FAVORITE mmo makers are making me feel like they are trying to squeeze every dime from me as they can while showing us very little of what is going to come in return.

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Well, the US does have sales tax which is applied before completing any transaction. It usually amounts to about 8% so that $50 price ends up being $54 and the $100 price ends up as $108.

That’s still less than what you’re paying but you then have to understand, since your country likely doesn’t charge sales tax, your government will get their money someway and it’s likely international tax/tarrifs or some other kind of method. For instance, there are some US states that don’t charge sales tax (such as Alaska) but they have other taxes that ultimately get their chunk out of your paycheck (like Alaska not having any income tax).

Conclusion, you won’t see “fairness” in the prices by just looking at them. But don’t blame Anet, blame all the redtape that taxes the government imposes.

Coulter.2315

Maybe a swift kick in the kitten is what they need to get the message that their customers deserve at least their respect. They are making a VERY large portion of their customers feel bad when thinking about something that should be exciting. Not addressing that and finding a way to make us feel better about our purchase is extremely disappointing. I’m less angry than I am disappointed that my FAVORITE mmo makers are making me feel like they are trying to squeeze every dime from me as they can while showing us very little of what is going to come in return.

Your complaint then is that they opened the preorder too early before you’d seen more of the game, they wanted to do it on a big stage and I guess the timing backfired a little. They aren’t trying to squeeze every dime from you they are releasing the game at market rates. They haven’t made a bad Guild Wars title yet so have a little faith and don’t preorder until they satisfy you (even wait until after launch and you see a trusted review).

People have been swept up in a wave of emotion over very small issues (no extra presents for preordering). It is just a marketting choice (arguably the wrong one) but not worth the bad press for OUR game.

Posted by: Pretty Pixie.8603

Pretty Pixie.8603

Other Anet products have no bearing on their handling on this. Because previous products were good value you’ll put up with being rorted now?

It’s not drugs they’re selling. You’re not hooked. It’s fine to judge each product on it’s own merits. And this one doesn’t measure up in the way they priced it.

Relentless Inquisition [PAIN] – FA

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

US sales tax is added after so our game goes up passed the sticker price when we pay. Not to mention that VAT in the UK is way higher than the US taxes and with a little bit of simple math you’ll noticed that Anet gets less money from the UK sales after taxes are taken out.

Zalavaaris.5329

Your complaint then is that they opened the preorder too early before you’d seen more of the game, they wanted to do it on a big stage and I guess the timing backfired a little. They aren’t trying to squeeze every dime from you they are releasing the game at market rates. They haven’t made a bad Guild Wars title yet so have a little faith and don’t preorder until they satisfy you (even wait until after launch and you see a trusted review).

People have been swept up in a wave of emotion over very small issues (no extra presents for preordering). It is just a marketting choice (arguably the wrong one) but not worth the bad press for OUR game.

I dont think they are trying to scam me or pull one over my eyes but most people who are complaining about this issue probably had the same thought I had when I saw the pre-order. Oh wow…. what a great deal for new players! I should tell my friends to go ahead and buy it while the deal is good. Then I thought, ok where do I get my expac only for cheaper to match the amount of content. It almost made the stomach hurt to realize that we are both meant to purchase the same package. Not a good feeling.

Coulter.2315

My mum used to give my sister and I a small gift on each others’ birthdays when we were young.

The game will be good, try to get past the tiny disappointment that you didn’t get a present. We should be excited as a community this mess is very depressing. Hope you all feel better – just try to keep it in perspective.

Zalavaaris.5329

My mum used to give my sister and I a small gift on each others’ birthdays when we were young.

The game will be good, try to get past the tiny disappointment that you didn’t get a present. We should be excited as a community this mess is very depressing. Hope you all feel better – just try to keep it in perspective.

Im not entirely sure you DIDNT mean that to sound 100% condescending. I hope everyone gets louder and if this game dies because new people are scared off then hopefully the makers of the next big mmo learn from it.

Posted by: Otokomae.9356

Otokomae.9356

Was there any mention of this on the Twitch Livestream today at all? I missed the first few minutes.

I actually heard that today’s stream was going to be pre-recorded, so it wouldn’t actually be live, but I have no idea if that’s true or not.

Bakuon/Bakuon Thief [MAS]/ ex-[ATac]