HoT Price Feedback + Base game included [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Gray.9041

Gray.9041

selling games by saying they’re needed when they’re not is pretty scummy.

but changing the evidence like this is even worse.

ya done goofed Anet, but if you try and hide it, it’ll only end worse for you. admit the mistake, fix it if you can, but please, please, don’t try and cover it up. it’ll only look worse for you, and that’s not where you want to be right now.

Posted by: clarkcd.6532

clarkcd.6532

If you’re just gonna trash your account you might as well give your stuff away. We didn’t do anything to make you mad.

Plus…

Well, bye.

Posted by: Ephemiel.5694

Ephemiel.5694

As it was shown in other threads, you even edited your own news. This is completely PATHETIC Anet.

“Would you kindly?”

Posted by: StarFreeze.3812

StarFreeze.3812

Absolutely unbelievable.

Posted by: Zalavaaris.5329

Zalavaaris.5329

To clarify: $50 is the price of the expansion. We included the core game as a free bonus to make it easier for new players to get into it.

Oh ok so basically what you’re saying is that you’re ok with overcharging by $15 for something that is closer related to a dlc instead of an expansion. Thanks for clearing that up….

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

Let’s look at WoW for a moment shall we? Keeping things as cheap as possible the core game costs $19.99, and the lowest price for a subscription is $11.50, so if you play for a year that’s $157.99. This is ignoring expansions, the higher priced subscription plans, and so on.

GW2 is a one time purchase of $40, $20, or $10 depending on when you got it. $157.99 for a year versus a flat $40. The $50 price tag is fine.

What an asinine comparison. Just because it’ll cost more to play WoW for a year doesn’t magically make this expansion worth $50.

You miss the point, which is you’ve already saved a tremendous amount of cash by simply playing the game for any amount of time at all. You’re welcome to play an inexpensive game and complain about the cost of it’s expansion, but please keep in mind that in the big MMO picture this price tag is nothing.

Unless of course $50 is just that difficult for someone to come by, and they had to wait for the $10 price drop after receiving the gaming computer donation, in which case I somewhat sympathize.

I think you are missing the point. It isn’t the price of the 50$ expansion that is the point of contention. It is the amount of content being delivered for that 50$ that people are having an issue with. We are basically being asked to pay the price of a full game for the equivalent of a 25$worth of DLC.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

Posted by: My Attack Will Kill.7816

My Attack Will Kill.7816

Posted by: ExiledDiclonius.1653

ExiledDiclonius.1653

Not planing to buy it eiter right now. I personally spended 2 much money on this game starting from few copies for my friends ending up on spending few hundred euro in cash shop since release. However I can see when someone is trying to f* me. This is a price for a new full game, and what we get it’s not even 1/5 of base game from what I seen since expansion was announced.

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

I know i was hoping for a character slot to go with my expansion into HoT.

Posted by: Deth.4109

Deth.4109

I just hope there’s an expansion price for people who already OWN the game, why they had a popup in-game for players who already have the game is beyond me, that one should have shown the expansion price (without the price for the full game since I already own it). This is just an expansion, like Eye of the North, EoTN didn’t include the base game, Factions did but it also had 2 character slots and 2 new professions. HoT is not that type of expansion, it’s a simple content expansion that simply adds the areas and a lot of features we had in gw1 maguuma area… I would have prepurchased at $30 but at $50 I’d rather get a full game and wait on HoT until it was on sale.

At this price I’ll be getting Fallout4 instead of an expansion.

$49.99 is the Price of just the Expansion. The Core Game is an extra bonus for new players and they get it for free. This was already verified by Anets Twitter.

It’s $50 for the game+expansion, or just the expansion of you paid for the game, no matter how you try to spin it. Basically, you get less for more if you’re a loyal customer. It’s a ripoff based on that alone.

So comparing veterans to newcomers, veterans paid $50 3 years earlier than new comers and thus had access to 3 years of gameplay that the newcomers missed out on. You paid $50 at launch for the base game and had access ever since. You will even have a leg up on them forever for anniversary stuff. What else do you want?

Minimum? A character slot to try the new profession.

and you’re some how entitled to those things?

Compared to how GW1 Expansions worked asking for just a ONE Free Character Slot isn’t asking much at all and one would think would be standard.

on what grounds would that be standard? if you been playing since pre launch like me you have had three years to hit maximum character slots on your account either through grinding gold for gems or just paying the 10 bucks it cost again i ask on what grounds is any current player entitled to extra character slots?

Because ever Guild Wars 1 Expansion gave you 2 Free Character Slot. 1 for each new class it added. You got every Character Slot? Good for you I don’t.

firstly gw1 was a 10 year old game and is not gw2. secondly that’s nobody’s fault but your own. they don’t owe you more character slots than you have earned already or paid for.

Posted by: Pyro.4765

Pyro.4765

To clarify: $50 is the price of the expansion. We included the core game as a free bonus to make it easier for new players to get into it.

I agree with what Black Box said earlier. You’re really pricing this as if we’ll get just as much value out of Heart of Thorns as we did out of the base game? What compelling reason do I have to purchase your product when I could buy a relatively new AAA game for the same price?

Seriously, what the hell? I’m almost impressed how quickly you’ve managed to reverse my opinions on your company. Guess I’m not giving you the money I’d set aside, lol.

Posted by: Kentaine.4692

Kentaine.4692

Basically it’s like this:

1. Want expansion? Pay $50.

2. Also want extra goodies and a character slot? Pay $75.

3. Also want 4000 gems discounted to 50% of the price? Pay $100.

Don’t even worry about the core game nonsense. Basically, you’re buying the expansion. If you don’t have the core game, then they are just giving you that for free so you can still play with everyone else as the expansion by itself is not a usable product. If you already have the base game, then you’re just buying the expansion.

I too share some concerns that the content may be a little light, but it’s more than just extra PvE story missions they’re putting in there. We haven’t quite seen everything that’s going in yet.

It would have been just as easy to make the expansion $40 and permanently put the core at $10 in their shops. I’m sorry, them tacking on “includes the core GW2” to justify charging $10 more is bullkitten since my alternative marketing idea would have made a lot of the sourness go away at the price AND them tacking on the core. The original GW1 expansions were $40 at release, and they were stand alone games with entire continents as well as dozens of skills added and (except GWEN) two professions each.

HoT is looking incredibly anemic now… but then again I was of the mind that I’d be willing to pay $40 for the xpac, maybe $50, but them adding in the core just kinda tipped the scales away from 50 for me. I already own the core, I payed full price for it and then some for the deluxe version. I’m kittening kittened off that they are double dipping without actually giving me anything to compensate.

Posted by: shogei.8015

shogei.8015

So if you buy a t-shirt today at Target for $20, then 2 years later, random person A buys the same T-shirt that is on sale for $10, then Target is being unfair? They are not getting more value than you, you’ve been playing this game sans subscription fee for x number of years. In that time you have managed to accumulate more in-game resource than they have. Experienced content that have now been permanently removed that they can’t experience as a new player. Given the chance to obtain skins that are now no longer obtainable. Received the LS2 updates for free, while they would have to pay around $20 to unlock all of that.

Your arguments don’t even make any sense anymore, that T-Shirt at Target would never be ‘free’ 2 years later, it would still cost something, the core game now evidently does not cost anything for new players if they buy the expansion, and yes they do get more value then me, they will ALSO get to play the game subscription free for years to come, seriously your entire argument is “You got to play for longer, that is your reward” which makes NO sense whatsoever, if -you- are happy with that as your reward for being a loyal customer and supporter of the game then fine? Good for you?

One look over the forums suggests that the majority of said customers are not, so we being the majority and you being the minority, please explain how ‘everyone’ is wrong and only you and a few select individuals are ‘correct’.

If you don’t actually enjoy playing the game, then why are you even here?

Wow…really, I mean it really is not that often I find someone either this horrendous at logic or just lacking the ability to read before posting.

Not once did I say I do not enjoy playing the game, not once did I mention anything in relation to my enjoyment of the actual game, only about this whole expansion, free core game and price situation…seriously, I’m starting to think you are just trying troll now.

ok let me give you a better example. If you buy a car for $20k today, then two years later a new version of the same car (the base game) is being sold for $15k, but this new model comes with better seats, improved headlights/braking whatever (the expansion). Were you ripped off? No you were not, you have used that car for two years as a mode of transport. You got to use that car to go to some one-off festival last year that will never happen ever again. You got to use your car to go on a road trip with some friends, if you didn’t have that car you would’ve had to rent a car or go hitchhiking instead etc. In the same way the game has given you x years of enjoyment. It allowed you to enjoy content that is one-off and will never come back. You have got your money’s worth in the form of experience.

It’s more like this.

You go out and buy a car for $20k. You drive it around for three years and enjoy the heck out of it. Each maintenance you take it back to the dealer to show your loyalty. Eventually you decide to add something extra. You go into the dealer to add a camping trailer for another $20k. While there you see another person buying a camping trailer for the same price but he doesn’t have a car so the dealer throws in a free one. Sure, the free one is three years old but, dang, it’s free. You look at the dealer and say “What do I get for being a loyal customer all these years.” The dealers says “Nothing. Only the new customers get the perks.”

Guild warrior for life!

Posted by: Linnael.1069

Linnael.1069

If you’re giving out a free account to everybody who buys HoT, why can’t you just give it in an unbundled form? We get HoT on our current account and don’t get gypped out of the “gift” one

Stormbluff Isle – Syliara
Elementalist – Necromancer – Warrior

Posted by: Phat Stackage.5329

Phat Stackage.5329

Posted by: Stark.1350

Stark.1350

Buying Ultimate.

Posted by: upsdn.5426

upsdn.5426

I for one can’t blame the op. And the community of this game clearly isn’t any more comprehensive as the one of wow. It seems whenever you present your fans with an even bigger pile of dirt as the last time, they will even say it tastes better than last time. I bought every collector edition of gw and also laid down 180 bucks for the collectors edition of gw2. For this expansion, I’m willing to give 0. If the content is as stale as the living story content, yes even season 2 was sub-par, then it deserves no money from me at all. With a game where the only new weapons are just skins in the store and the only good thing is fractals 35+ I’m not going to invest in its future any longer. Good luck arenanet.

PS: no trolls, you can’t get my stuff either.

I’m with you. The arrogance of the vocal fanboy/fangirl segment of this community is incredible. They’ll ridicule anyone who complains, and repeat the same 2-3 lines in response. It’s amazing. There’s no good reason for them to try to suppress others’ opinions by ridiculing them, yet they do it nonetheless. What do they get out of it? Do they feel insecurity when people complain, and need to aggressively invalidate others’ opinions in order to feel justified in their purchases?

Some of them respond with “I’m buying the ultimate edition for $100 right now! It’s fair!” as if this says it all. Unbelievable.

Posted by: Vagrant.7206

Vagrant.7206

Just browsing over this forum, everybody is talking about HoT costing $50 to pre-order.

Arguments against the price are:

• The preorder includes the base game, which is at least a $10 value, yet veterans aren’t given a discount for already owning the base game.
  • The preorder does not include character expansion slots (at least none mentioned)
  • This is an “expansion” which only seems to add 3 maps and a few features.

Arguments for the price are:

• We don’t pay a subscription fee, so ANet needs to recoup money it would have had with a subscription. Additionally, ANet has added new content to the game for free (Living Stories 1 and 2).
  • We have no idea how complex/intricate the new maps and features are, as our knowledge regarding the material is limited.

Here’s why it doesn’t matter what the price is:

• Pre-order sales are a bad business practice to support. Any person who has played games for long enough should know better at this point. Since this is a game that is digitally delivered, there aren’t limited numbers of copies. Don’t support pre-ordering, as it is an inherently anti-consumer practice.
  • Veterans and newcomers alike should wait for the reviews to HoT like they would for any new game. Since the current pricing suggests it is a new game, treat it like one. Reviews from multiple sources provide valuable insight to the true value of the game. We don’t have the knowledge necessary to make an informed opinion yet, so don’t leap before you look.
  • Demand more information before you cast your opinion. ANet has been incredibly tight-lipped about a lot of the practicality of release of HoT. We don’t know if extra character slots are included, what bonuses are available to veteran players, or what the practical effects of any of the new content (especially the revenant) will have on the overall gameplay. Some of these questions can be answered by ANet (but they choose not to or don’t know yet), and others cannot be answered until HoT launches. Wait to buy the game.
  • Ultimately, if the price bothers you, wait for a sale. Some features of HoT are being added to the base game without actually having HoT. It also seems likely that at some future point ANet will include an “upgrade” package.

TL ; DR : Preorder price doesn’t matter because you shouldn’t preorder.

The great god Lagki demands sacrifice.

(edited by Vagrant.7206)

Posted by: Rylen.2147

Rylen.2147

Be happy that you aren’t paying $$$ every month AND $50 for an expansion. I think $50 is a reasonable price and is in no way greedy.

Nuff said

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

They are basically trying to sell it as a whole new, extra game. As giving less stuff. Lol

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

So, i have to buy the game again to get Heart of Thorns, without any character slot?. For kitten premium price?

It is obvious they are trying to channel people toward the deluxe or ultimate versions.

Phat Stackage.5329

I may be joining you. Anet needs to do right here..

Posted by: waSte.8640

waSte.8640

Posted by: cocowoushi.7150

cocowoushi.7150

I would have paid $50 for the expansion, even without extra character slot. No questions asked.

Seeing the base game added “free” with no options for just HoT price makes me reconsider buying.

Posted by: Leo.6817

Leo.6817

The fact you think this is all about ‘price’ pretty much suggests you didn’t read anything just skimmed over the topic titles and decided to make a topic.

Well done.

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

Well, game prices have gone up a lot in couple of years. Heck, people pay 70-90 Euros for GTAV without complaining or 50-60 Euros for some FPS games that they play for 10 hours. So yeah, price is fine.

MMOs and their expansions at least offer things to do for thousands of hours.

Posted by: Rashy.4165

Rashy.4165

Information changes. Before they announced pre-purchase, the assumption was that you’d have to buy them separately. After the announcement, the base game is free and the expansion comes with it (for players who don’t have it already). For players who have the base game, the expansion is all they get for $50 (which is standard pricing for expansions these days).

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I’m still not sure I’ll buy HoT. Not because of price, I expected $50 without the inclusion of the base game. I am waiting to see how the game plays with the incoming changes, and of course, whether HoT will include enough to justify the price. There’s also the issue of ANet continuing to tell me that I am not a valued customer by making changes that make the game worse for me. If I choose not to buy, I won’t be bitter, I just won’t be playing HoT.

Base Gw2 had a competitive amount of content in comparison to the competition for the standard game price. I am not yet sure than can be said for HoT. Then again, my last experience with a paid expansion was WotLK, which added ten playable areas, dungeons, raids, a bunch of quests and a new class — all for $10 less than the vanilla game retailed for at the time. I’ve no idea if other game’s more recent expansions have backslid on value for money.

Phat Stackage.5329

Rylen.2147

Already bought deluxe

Stop complaining about $50, it’s not greedy, you don’t have sub fees, and you should be able to pay it

Posted by: Biohazard.7523

Biohazard.7523

Seems like that we the poor people will have to wait for discount of 50, or 80%
they will start with the discount of 20%…

Posted by: Pepe Duran.5032

Pepe Duran.5032

Regina, I will buy it, actually I’m thinking in the $100 one, but I already have the game, I have an idea, I want the free copy as a Key to send it to one of my best friends in order to test the game and everything, if he fall in love with the game he will buy the expansion and obtain a free key for another friend, if you’re already giving the game for free in order to obtain more players, please consider this…

Regards!!

Posted by: SonicTHI.3217

SonicTHI.3217

Please post links to the amount of amount of content in HoT there is no official word on size of maps or amount of content. At this point is all speculation and hype started by people that think just because they say it it’s true you people need to get a grip and relax till we see the full expansion did you all watch the live stream from E3 the guild hall stuff alone would make me pay $50 that was amazing I think you are all over reacting just step back and wait Anet needed a big E3 show opener they announced the pre sale of HoT, there is more to come and Anet needs a show stopper for E3 the release date would be the grand finally for E3.

Are there 8 professions, ~30 maps and 3 game modes in HoT?
Because i paid 44€ for GW2 and that was worth every penny.

45€ for half to 8x less content? That is a complete ripoff for existing customers, especially those that bought the game since HoT was announced.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike O’Brien, President of Arenanet

Posted by: Trouble.3859

Trouble.3859

It’s funny that you think that paying 45 euros for an expansion, that (until now) doesn’t seem to contain that much content, is reasonable.

Posted by: JUN YANG.4328

JUN YANG.4328

if HOT is like Nightfall and faction i have no complain.

Posted by: Gray.9041

Gray.9041

you are not buying the game twice……the expension price is 50$ but for someone who dont have the core game aleady they get it for free as a bonus.its a way to attract new comer.this game have no sub fee and have been out for what,2-3 year already?a sub fee game would have cost you like 5-6 time more then this game so far. this expension is a bit more expensive then other game like ff14 or wow because those game have a sub fee….expension is the way to make $ for buy to play game and it still end up dirt cheap compared to most hight quality mmorpg (sub fee)

oh, sweet, then I can buy this, and use the free copy of the base game as an alt.

oh wait. if the base game was an additional item, then it’d come as a separate key which could be passed on or used as an alt. this doesn’t.

Posted by: Linnael.1069

Linnael.1069

Apparently ANet is offering refunds to recent buyers. http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3a46s4/preorders_for_heart_of_thorns_are_now_live/cs96lfu

Whether or not this will stretch back to when the initial HoT announcements were made or whether anything at all will be done for players who are actual vets is still looking dubious.

Stormbluff Isle – Syliara
Elementalist – Necromancer – Warrior

Posted by: Errant.1509

Errant.1509

Information changes. Before they announced pre-purchase, the assumption was that you’d have to buy them separately. After the announcement, the base game is free and the expansion comes with it (for players who don’t have it already). For players who have the base game, the expansion is all they get for $50 (which is standard pricing for expansions these days).

Look at the cache…they changed the FAQ mere hours before announcing preorders. It’s a bait-and-switch.

Posted by: Trajan.4953

Trajan.4953

OMG People… any MMO worth anything has kitten base expansion, if you don’t know this you have been living under a rock, in a cave… somewhere very remote.

The upgraded ones are simply shineys that YOU DON’T ACTUALLY NEED.

Settle down.

CCCP….

Posted by: InfinitytheSoulWarden.5963

InfinitytheSoulWarden.5963

SO “help” really means screw you over and remove all your hard work….. da hell is that!!!

Soul Warden of Echo of Enclayd
~Infinity Warden

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

Hey, John Smith, bought the $99.99 version. The value isn’t what I’d call “ideal,” but I am one of the players that was looking to buy a physical collector’s edition ($150-200.) Overall, disappointed with the versions offered, but I was going to buy gems tonight anyway – ended up working out I guess. Also, HOW DARE YOU EXPECT PEOPLE TO PAY FOR YOUR EXPANSION.

Sorry your official forums are full of vitriol instead of more constructive feedback.

Im sorry, in this situation you are the 1% and every single other person is the 99%. your voice doesnt mean more than every one elses just because you had 100 dollars to blow on gems

1% is having a job and money enough to spend on thing I enjoy? Weird. I am definitely not in the 1%.

You’re taking my comment out of context: I usually spend $10-30 on gems a month. However, with the Deluxe being $75 and my purchase of gems about take place anyway (I wanted the pet rock – it is completely useless and adorable), $100 was the better value for me.

I can’t disagree that they missed the mark, though; they should have stuck with the $39.99 for the expansion and made the base game officially cost $10 to prevent threads like this. The amount of (perceived) slight you people think ArenaNet is engaging in is, honestly, hilarious. Though, I guess then we’d have threads saying it should be free instead.

The 1% in this case are people who don’t understand or care about the value of the money they spend.

I can easily afford to drop 100 dollars and buy the ultimate edition but I don’t think it’s worth 100. I don’t think the standard edition is worth 50.

I can afford to waste my money but I’m not going to.

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

Just greedy. $50 for an expansion that has less content than any of GW1’s. A single profession, FINALLY guild hall, some balance fix that was due like a year ago, with no character slot included.

I’m not kittening console peasant and I’m not used to this ridiculous pricing. $50+ is a AAA title with zero discount. An expansion shouldn’t worth that much.

Rylen.2147

What if arenanet piled up all the feature updates that have been released in the last few months… HoT would be worth WAY more. So really you are getting all the content of a huge expansion, be grateful

Posted by: Leo.6817

Leo.6817

I think what is more funny is people still coming to the forums looking over the titles then clueless making posts like this when barely anyone has a problem with the ‘price’ and more so about the core game situation, seriously, read before you flame people.

Posted by: keramatzmode.1906

keramatzmode.1906

It is simple. They are relying on us to offset that base game cost they are promoting to potential new players.

We have to help arenanet xDDDDDDDDDD

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

The content shown so far does not quite justify the price tag.

I could do with seeing more so I have a more informed opinion.

Hopefully, the next beta will allow us to see and interact more at the very least.

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3a46s4/preorders_for_heart_of_thorns_are_now_live/cs96lfu

For those that this price actually stinks, the above comment is worth linking to… for everyone else, tough luck vote with your wallets then.

Posted by: Zappix.7928

Zappix.7928

Looking at the Dev Tracker it seems they’ve gone quiet on this issue, nice of them to announce the refunds on Reddit though.

Posted by: cocowoushi.7150

cocowoushi.7150

The price literally is not the issue. It’s the lack of option for existing players.

Posted by: Kury.8210

Kury.8210

On one hand, it’s cool new commers don’t need to buy both the original game and the expansion. Then again, it’s forcing people to buy the product twice if they want an upgrade.

I’m actually fine with the $50 pricing. I’m not gonna buy it til the price drops, but it’s not like any laws are being broken. Still, it seems a cheaper option with just the expansion would contribute towards the overall positive relationship Anet seems to have with it’s customers. (Anyone who doubts that positive impression I have, look up Aeria. Never going back.)