HoT Price Feedback + Base game included [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: DoAyari.2719

DoAyari.2719

It’s actually also in the site shop when you go to buy gw2 but you’re right.

Posted by: Advent Leader.1083

Advent Leader.1083

…can’t people wait at least a day or to for the E3 hype to settle, so that additional details about the expansion only bundle come out?

It’s not like they’re going to make older players miss beta events by only giving out preorder bundles that have core+HoT. That would take at the very least a week, and next patch might highly likely not have a beta event within that time frame.

I would agree with you, if they had given any indication whatsoever that such a bundle was coming. The fact that you can buy the $50 version in-game seems to indicate it’s not.

And if you look at the other scope, it’s just one day after E3. Not even HOURS approaching to HALF OF A DAY after the E3 presentation. Have faith and WAIT for any expansion offer changes, instead of RUSHING TO BUYBUYBUY.

Even the in-game option can change with a patch or two. So if I were you, I’d WAIT, since you can give ANet three weeks time to change, revise, or add on their stance with respect to expansion offers.

Posted by: The Rice Hat Samurai.5348

The Rice Hat Samurai.5348

I am willing to pay $19.99 for an account upgrade that has the HoT content and includes a character slot. I am not interested in your products if you’re trying to scam me.

My thoughts exactly. Not buying at that pricepoint especially kitten off no character slot. LOL!

How is it a scam? Have you ever bought an expansion for an MMO before? News flash, they’re all $50+.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward is $40. Shut up.

Guild Wars: Factions, $50, Guild Wars: Nightfall, $50. No. Look at EVERY expansion for World of Warcraft then come back.

Factions and Nightfall weren’t expansions. They were separate games that could be linked to each other and Prophesies.

Still expansions regardless. Do you need me to point out WoW again? Eye of the North was an expansion, $40 and came with no character slots.

Posted by: minimimi.1794

minimimi.1794

There should be “Expansion Only” upgrade that should include a free char slot. Then we can talk, but for now I am gonna wait for sale.. few years if needed, I am patient.. unless I move on to other games by then.

Posted by: smt.4205

smt.4205

Yes but it’s not as bad as a level increase . You’d still be competitive without the expansion.

Posted by: xBrownZ.7360

xBrownZ.7360

In all the threads expressing ire about the pricing shown in the Gem Store for HoT preorders, I frequently see statements such as:

“Instead of looking at it as you’re being shafted, maybe look at it as being easier to get new people into the game. New blood is good, yes?”

Think about this for a moment. The HoT preorder options are only available in the gem store at this minute. And there was a little popup flag in-game that redirected me to the Gem Store page for HoT. There is no way that this is for new players. It’s for players who already have the game, and are playing it right now.

I can’t possibly be the only one who understands this.

I feel you, this is stupid. Especially, when a lot of their current players have sunk money into the GemStore. Then they pull this, not cool. The hype for HoT died today, let’s see what AreaNet does.

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

I am willing to pay $19.99 for an account upgrade that has the HoT content and includes a character slot. I am not interested in your products if you’re trying to scam me.

My thoughts exactly. Not buying at that pricepoint especially kitten off no character slot. LOL!

How is it a scam? Have you ever bought an expansion for an MMO before? News flash, they’re all $50+.

Guild Wars: Factions, $50, Guild Wars: Nightfall, $50. No. Look at EVERY expansion for World of Warcraft then come back.

Factions and Nightfall weren’t expansions. They were separate games that could be linked to each other and Prophesies.

Still expansions regardless. Do you need me to point out WoW again? Eye of the North was an expansion, $40 and came with no character slots.

Factions and Nightfall weren’t expansions.

Posted by: HatSimulator.9362

HatSimulator.9362

Out of 20 guild members only 1 is willing to pay that price. It’s not a scientific sample but it’s probably not too unusual either.
For a couple pve maps and elite specializations the price is absurd. If I had that money to spend I could buy another game, not just DLC.

If a 10-20$ HoT ONLY package doesnt come out soon I have a feeling you wont be selling as many copies as you’d like. Hiking the price up in anticipation of that is just shooting yourself in the foot. Better to go high quality, small portion, reasonable price than medium quality, medium portion high price. The latter is how you lose loyalty, but the former is how you gain it.

Same here. Someone logged on to complain as well and is now taking a break from the game because of it. Only 1 guy was willing to buy it out of 100 members

Gates of Madness [DUI]
Main Warrior | Every other class at 80
I only play WvW

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

Can I have your staff?

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

I mean really. I’d gladly pay $50 if they raised the new player price to $70

Of course that wouldn’t be smart, so they could always throw a free character slot at existing players or something.

Maybe add $25 worth of gems to the +$25 version and $60 worth of gems to the +$50 dollar version too.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: Darkened.7015

Darkened.7015

Id probably pay the 50$ if it included a char slot.

I would pay the $50 for the expansion with a character slot and NOT including the Core Game…

I think it’s messed up that someone can get the same thing I get while paying HALF of what I did just because they started playing and supporting this game a lot later than I did.

Posted by: Linnael.1069

Linnael.1069

So my friends that bought the base game because I suggested they get into it before HoT are now giving me kitten about this. I wasn’t really on their side, but then one of them linked me this.

https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/105801626-Guild-Wars-2-Heart-of-Thorns-FAQ

“Q: Do I have to own Guild Wars 2 to play the expansion?
A: Yes. Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns is an expansion to Guild Wars 2 and not a stand-alone campaign, and therefore it requires the base game to play.”

I’ll admit that there is nothing in the hard, 100% strict interpretation of these words that explicitly refutes the idea that HoT and the base game could be bought together, but when stuff like this is posted and all your HoT announcements are timed with a sale of the base game?

I’m not even going to get into whether $50 is “worth it” or whatever, but any way you look at it this is pretty dirty marketing ANet.

Stormbluff Isle – Syliara
Elementalist – Necromancer – Warrior

(edited by Linnael.1069)

Posted by: Aeon.4583

Aeon.4583

It is really distubring what happening right now with HoT prices at pre-order ( but i really think it is made for benefits of new players). But really, i have core game already, i am willing to pay right away a 50% of standart pre-order pack to have only HoT upgrade for my existing core-game account. But, if Heart of Thorns was a stand-alone game from begining, it is something you should warn us about.

Posted by: Hylox.9746

Hylox.9746

i understand arenanet needs to make money, who doesn’t, but isn’t $50 a bit much? especially since some of the features in HoT should have been in the game since the begining [Guild Halls, Specializations, ect…] i can see paying $30 for HoT but $50! i think i will just w8 to buy it till it’s 75% off and get it then. I’ve been keeping close tabs on the HoT released videos and whatnot and imo $50 is just way too much for what little they are adding to the game, seems like there should be way more content if what they said was true [basically they said they’ve been working on the expansion since launch, that’s nearly 3 years]. I will buy HoT eventually, but i’m not paying $50 for it, that’s just too much imo. It saddens me that i will go without a guildhall for a while, and the druid spec probably isn’t that good anyway. I appreciate arenanet trying to improve the game for its player base, but $50 seems a bit to high. However, i’m sure there are people who will buy it for that price although i am not one of them

~EDIT~
oh yeah, i bought the Collector’s Edition of GW2 before it launched. it came to about $160 with tax… not happy…

(edited by Hylox.9746)

Posted by: steve.2945

steve.2945

its like a conundrum..Buy the expansion..get a free code to give to someone. I’m guessing they’ll have to repeat the process for other people too?

Proud TTS member

Posted by: Regina Buenaobra

Previous

Regina Buenaobra

Content Marketing Lead

Next

To clarify: $50 is the price of the expansion. We included the core game as a free bonus to make it easier for new players to get into it.

Content Marketing Lead
Twitter: @ArenaNet, @GuildWars2
In-Game Name: Cm Regina Buenaobra

Posted by: Bridlegoose.9376

Bridlegoose.9376

Put me in the disappointed crowd. I’ve pre-ordered everything Guild Wars has put out since Factions, but I can not justify the price for this one. It’s especially bad that it doesn’t even include at least a character slot. And it’s even worse that I’m being forced to buy the core game again as part of the “package.”

So I will wait until it goes on sale at some time, and if I’m still playing Guild Wars 2, I’ll decide then.

Posted by: The Rice Hat Samurai.5348

The Rice Hat Samurai.5348

And you keep repeating that ignoring the other examples.

Posted by: Jay.3409

Jay.3409

http://www.twitch.tv/docgotgame/v/6261657

skip to 9:00-10:00

pretty much is a realistic price. Its not a DLC its an EXPANSION

DarkWasp.7291

They also sold the revenant finisher to people the SAME DAY they announced it was going to be part of the deluxe editions of HoT.

Posted by: Apolo.5942

Apolo.5942

I would advice that if they dont want a repeat of Battlefield Hardline, which value wise was much closer to bf4 than hot is to GW2, they should backpedal rather pronto.

The term Exploit means nothing in GW2 –
Vials Maize Balm Exploit(Halloween) 2014
Locked out of JP (Wintersday) 2015

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Hello John, is it intended that people have to buy the base game a second time or just a bug? (I hope it’s a bug)

Would it be a non-issue if it did not give you the base game?

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Angel.6085

Angel.6085

You guys realize that $20 is roughly the cost of any living story. IE one or partial sections of one kittenty map and maybe 3 missions right?

All of you people expecting this for $20 are just not thinking, at all. It’s pretty funny.

I agree the standard should have a character slot. I also expected it to cost $50 and you should have expected it too.

Given that Anet has sold GW for what, $5? in the past, I seriously hope that they drop the price to $44.99 and let the people cry about it.

The Living Story stuff is pretty low value so that doesn’t justify it.

You know what was good value? The base game. 50 bucks for a full game. That’s a reasonable level of value.

Given that they’ve put a lot of effort into maintaining the game all this time, I think most of us are willing to pay a bit more than the value of the expansion but there are limits and I think Anet has exceeded them massively, especially considering that the base game requires some gemstore upgrades to really shine.

I completely agree that the base game was a great value for $50. I paid much more and I’m still happy and enjoying it. That was my choice.

I know the LS was free if you were here, but if you wanted it and you weren’t the total price is in the area of $20, that’s their pricing and it seems logical that the expansion would be where it is now.

I totally agree there should have been a character slot in this. That was Anets only mistake here – IMO.

Also the Gemstore does not have anything that the base game really needs to shine, it’s all prestige. We buy that kitten because it’s pretty and we like shinies.

YB>DB>BG>SOR>TC>BG>FA>DB>SOS>BP Guardian
Formerly [rB], [OPED], [Choo]
Guild Leader [DN] Digital Nemesis

Posted by: InfinitytheSoulWarden.5963

InfinitytheSoulWarden.5963

I wanna say that, i keep hearing about all this “free content”, so far since buying the game ive not seen any new “free” content. What i have seen is
1. New items added for micro transactions
2. Paid for incomplete story content that was free…
3. seen the broken exchange system between gold and gems

im not that enthused about this $50 price,

id have rather payed for just story content, and them have made guild halls and elite specializations for everyone.

Soul Warden of Echo of Enclayd
~Infinity Warden

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

So my friends that bought the base game because I suggested they get into it before HoT are now giving me kitten about this. I wasn’t really on their side, but then one of them linked me this.

https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/105801626-Guild-Wars-2-Heart-of-Thorns-FAQ

“Q: Do I have to own Guild Wars 2 to play the expansion?
A: Yes. Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns is an expansion to Guild Wars 2 and not a stand-alone campaign, and therefore it requires the base game to play.”

I’ll admit that there is nothing in the hard, 100% strict interpretation of these words that explicitly refutes the idea that HoT and the base game could be bought together, but when stuff like this is posted and all your HoT announcements are timed with a sale of the base game? This is pretty dirty marketing ANet.

Good point.

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

Factions and Nightfall were entire games. They each had as much content as the original game.

If HoT has an entire new region as big as Tyria then it’s worth 50 bucks. Those are the kind of standards I expect from Anet.

Posted by: upsdn.5426

upsdn.5426

It’s actually also in the site shop when you go to buy gw2 but you’re right.

It wasn’t in the site shop about an hour ago when I got on the forums to see if anyone was saying anything about it. But yes, now I see it in the site shop.

Posted by: leman.7682

leman.7682

You forgot to include decency though…

Leman

DaShi.1368

I don’t care about the cherry picked examples. You’ve already demonstrated that you don’t want an honest discussion.

Posted by: Kenjiro.2671

Kenjiro.2671

I assume you’ll still be able to be part of a guild even if you don’t have HoT.

But probably at least the guild leader would need to get HoT to access the halls, idk.

Posted by: Emtiarbi.3281

Emtiarbi.3281

To clarify: $50 is the price of the expansion. We included the core game as a free bonus to make it easier for new players to get into it.

ouch :/

Anredhal Amethyst – Lain Amethyst – Orss Jerre

Posted by: Illyria.9306

Illyria.9306

You just lost any players that were planning to come back to the game for the expansion. There were so many people that had left the game and then got back on the hype train for the expansion and are immediately going to balk at the fact that they have to buy the game all over again. And then, you have the people that bought the game recently because they heard about the expansion and assumed that they would need the core game to experience the expansion, now they are faced with the idea that they are going to have to buy a game that they already paid for in the last couple months all over again…

Posted by: Exhibit A.2346

Exhibit A.2346

…can’t people wait at least a day or to for the E3 hype to settle, so that additional details about the expansion only bundle come out?

It’s not like they’re going to make older players miss beta events by only giving out preorder bundles that have core+HoT. That would take at the very least a week, and next patch might highly likely not have a beta event within that time frame.

I would agree with you, if they had given any indication whatsoever that such a bundle was coming. The fact that you can buy the $50 version in-game seems to indicate it’s not.

And if you look at the other scope, it’s just one day after E3. Not even HOURS approaching to HALF OF A DAY after the E3 presentation. Have faith and WAIT for any expansion offer changes, instead of RUSHING TO BUYBUYBUY.

Even the in-game option can change with a patch or two. So if I were you, I’d WAIT, since you can give ANet three weeks time to change, revise, or add on their stance with respect to expansion offers.

The fact is, all signs point to them not having an expansion-only option. If they planned on that, the bundle that included the base game would not be available in-game. If an expansion-only option comes at this point, it’s going to be as a result of the negative reaction to the price.

xBrownZ.7360

AreaNet makes so much out of micro-transactions. GTA V also has micro-transactions, but the difference is that the DLC content has remained free due to micro-transactions. I’m not asking for free, but when veteran players are putting money after they buy the game in micro-transactions we shouldn’t have to deal with this.

Posted by: Ephemiel.5694

Ephemiel.5694

Can i ask why you decided on $50 when expansions like Heavensward are actually cheaper?

“Would you kindly?”

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

I don’t care about the cherry picked examples. You’ve already demonstrated that you don’t want an honest discussion.

Factions and Nightfall are not cherry picked. They are the most relevant examples possible because they are ANet games. That’s the kind of value ANet used to represent.

Posted by: My Attack Will Kill.7816

My Attack Will Kill.7816

what about veteran players ? what do we get ‘free’ as a bonus ?

Posted by: Galandil.9641

Galandil.9641

$50 for the expansion and not even a character slot.

Good riddance, A.net.

Posted by: Drakonath.7096

Drakonath.7096

Its actually hilarious how they say the core game is included, yet I did not a serial code for my “free” core game. Just the HoT one.

What is this

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Or, it could be that the expansion itself is $50, but in an attempt to attract new players the core game comes ‘free’ to them if they bought the expansion at the same price as the rest of us.

It’s a common marketing and economic tactic that works wonders, not a single quality MMO hasn’t done something like this before.

Do you believe the expansion is worth $50 though? Not to dismiss the work ANet put into it, but from everything we’ve seen it’s a mini expansion, it doesn’t offer nearly as much that every other quality MMO’s expansion does at this price point. The only thing that could justify this price is if the core game was bundled in with it at a 50%~75% discount or if ANet has been really coy and is actually including an entire continent in HoT to surprise us with.

I hope it’s the latter, because if it’s the former I have to really wonder if we’re going to be saddled with an extra account every time an expansion comes out.

That’s worth exploring – if you don’t think they’ve added enough to justify $50 then please do not purchase it. Perhaps closer to release we’ll know if $50 is the correct price – but doomsayers complaining about the ‘core game’ included as driving the price up are just deluded.

It’s no more deluded to assume the core game is being included at a discount (and thus driving up the price) than it is to assume it’s being included for free; the only difference between our opinions is whether or not we believe the expansion is introducing $50 worth of content.

Now I’m not saying I believe you’re deluded, that would be rude (also self-destructive, because then I’d be saying I’m deluded too). What I am saying, however, is that you’re a much more optimistic person than I am and that I hope you’re proven right even though I don’t share your opinion.

(edited by Pandaman.4758)

Posted by: Stormbolt.7293

Stormbolt.7293

You do realize that you’ve essentially screwed over anyone who’s purchased your game in the wake of the HoT hype, right?

DarkWasp.7291

I think the correct phrasing is:

“$50 is the price of GW2 now, and it includes HoT. Veterans are required to buy the game again.”

Posted by: Illyria.9306

Illyria.9306

You just lost any players that were planning to come back to the game for the expansion. There were so many people that had left the game and then got back on the hype train for the expansion and are immediately going to balk at the fact that they have to buy the game all over again. And then, you have the people that bought the game recently because they heard about the expansion and assumed that they would need the core game to experience the expansion, now they are faced with the idea that they are going to have to buy a game that they already paid for in the last couple month all over again…

Posted by: T raw.4658

T raw.4658

I just think they made a mistake I think the should have worded it like this “Contains the core game for new players” I think people would be less upset if they just thought this through a little. The price point is inline with the industry standard pricing so I don’t have a problem.

it doesnt contain enough content to justify the $50 price point

at best its a $30 value

Posted by: Gray.9041

Gray.9041

I believe it’s fair as well. I just really don’t want another account…

Lol, you’re not getting one.

kittening this.

if we got the extra account, I’d almost be happy. upgrade my main to HoT, keep the alt for extras. this would be good.

but we don’t get the core game. only new players do. what makes their money worth more than mine?

DaShi.1368

Good to know. I’ll just wait until it’s on sale. There’s plenty of other games on my list to play.

Posted by: Lumarin.1063

Lumarin.1063

I really agree with a lot of the other people here. The areas that the expansion is going to be adding and all of that really doesn’t add up to this price, especially considering we’re not getting an expansion slot with the pre-purchase. There’s absolutely no incentive to buy the game early right now.

Either include at least a character slot with all levels, or I and many others will simply wait for the price to drop so we can purchase HoT and a character slot at the same price(Or less!).

I mean, there’s literally no reason to pre-purchase the standard edition, it’s literally just the game. Beta Testing for a company is hardly a deal, and many people don’t care for titles. As such, I really really recommend that Anet include some reason to purchase the standard edition before it releases, because this is extraordinarily underwhelming especially considering you’re adding a new class, and those such as myself will have to purchase additional slots to even play a portion of the new content!

xBrownZ.7360

If I knew about this 2 years ago, I wouldn’t put a penny into micro-transactions. No more GemStore for me if it’s gonna be like this.

Posted by: shogei.8015

shogei.8015

OK. But a new player is getting 5 characters slots and the expansion at $50 while existing players get the expansion only. In other words, if I and my new player friend buy the game on the same day, he gets more than I do for the same price.

Guild warrior for life!

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

I already own GW2, I would prefer an upgrade only version.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”