HoT Price Feedback + Base game included [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Dal.5872

Dal.5872

Wow someones changed their tune from

“Lets make this easier to understand..

There is no more Core game.. only Heart of Thornes. You can’t buy the core game anymore."

Finally realised things smell fishy have we????

IGN: Dal Brinium

Posted by: Vegeta.2563

Vegeta.2563

They’re been screwing us all along. Why is it ya’ll are just now realizing this?

This is by far the worst i’ve seen yet from them.

This Guild Is Fire [PRUF]

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

+9999999999999 xD

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

Might be a thread merge incoming re: price…

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

Posted by: darkdomino.9578

darkdomino.9578

What continual support are you talking about? Anet hasn’t updated this game in a meaningful way since they blew up Lions Arch and even then not so much.

We are talking about Guild Wars 2 right? Guild Wars 2 the game with no additional content besides living story right?

Fury of the Departed [Fury] – http://www.furyofthedeparted.net

Posted by: Hule.8794

Hule.8794

And why should you have to delete any of your old/pre-existing characters? Isn’t the specialization and elite specialization horizontal progression? Doesn’t that mean that you shouldn’t ever feel the need to delete a character? The Revenant is the last stand alone profession they’ll ever add to the game, after that they shouldn’t have to advert or sell toon slots in future expansions. Because all your existing characters will have horizontal progression in the form of elite specialization. A character slot for all the expansion sets should be standard just for the new profession.

Revenant is newly added profession

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

You can get a refund within 28 days of the initial purchase by filing a support ticket.

Make it clear that you’re asking for a refund so you can take advantage of the new deal, since otherwise customer services might block you from using the same e-mail and payment method for future purchases.

They will still block the email as the game id, because part of the refund process is disabling the account (but not deleting it). Also, if you managed to tie this account to a GW1 one you might have a problem (they do allow unlinking, but it requires a lot of effort in dealing with support).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: indelible.5928

indelible.5928

Gotta love fanboys… Telling someone one thing and then behind their backs doing another isn’t LYING. Right guys? Right??

Hahaha

I’d argue that it runs very, very close to being a bait-and-switch scheme.

1) Bait new customers to pay the premium for the base game by telling them they’ll need it to play the expansion, but withhold the information that the expansion will include the base game;

2) Switch the base game out for the expansion, and on the day of pre-purchase release change the relevant information to include the previously withheld information pertaining to the base game being included in the purchase of the expansion.

Bait-and-switch.

Actually illegal.

Well done, ANet ^^

TKT | European Gaming Clan | Aurora Glade | http://www.tktclan.net

Posted by: nerevar.6247

nerevar.6247

The price is not fine, it is borderline.

If it was fine people would not be complaining.

Price is perfectly fine for something you only pay once, recieve continual updates, support and probably will put hundreds if not thousands of hours into. Also people always have something to complain about and is this case a minority of the playerbase is unhappy that they are not getting something for free.

Posted by: Thatsecret.3206

Thatsecret.3206

Ok! If I understand carefully what you guys are saying, the cost is too much and the content not enough. Care to remind you guys that the game is a non subscribe game. And one expansion on 3 years for 50$ and you guy are freaking out? As I recall, most of the game now that are either paid to play or on consoles requires you to buy multiple expansion for 30$ on one year only. But hey one xpac for 50$ over 3 years is way more worth then you think boyz. Unhappy, quit whinning like baby and delete the game!

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

Adding my 2 cents…

I feel cheated. Plain and simple. And royally kittened off. It’s not the actual pirce tag, because that’s pretty par for the course for an MMo/expansion these days.
I’m kittened because the “free goodie” you throw in doesn’t give me anything, not even the option to create a separate, base-game only account (third one, which I neither want nor need, but that’s beside the point). I pay the same as an all-new player, but get significantly less out of it. And as long as that’s the case, I’ll hold off on buying HoT until the price goes down.
It’s so kitten simple to fix this: Offer anyone who has the base game on the upgraded account something else instead, something the people who get the core game out of the deal don’t get. At the very least a chaarcter slot, plus maybe the glider skin, or just a free minipet, I don’t care. Give me something that doesn’t make me feel like you don’t give a kitten about your veteran players.

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Posted by: Loso.6803

Loso.6803

i would pay 50 sure, but give veterans something for free, as we already have core, i dont want them to discount but acknowlidge the supporters

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

I honestly don’t care who i pay…i care about WHAT i pay for. There could very well be 10.000 ppl working on this project…as long as the final product is not worth the pricetag, i won’t pay.

That argument is wrong in the real world. You don’t pay the workforce that makes something. In reality you pay for the PRODUCT that workforce makes for you.

Posted by: linlin.9321

linlin.9321

everything would be fine if anet made the standard version expansion pre-order with +1 free character slot. thats all, no whining and qq around.

Posted by: dbgfeller.8120

dbgfeller.8120

Nono guys you got it all wrong:

The core game is what you pay, the expansion is a FREE BONUS!

See what I did there? If you buy a bundle, you pay everything of it. I got GW2 already, I don’t need a bundle, I just need the expansion. I don’t care if it’s cheap or expensive, the point is that I don’t want to pay for something I already own.

Posted by: ChoChoBo.6503

ChoChoBo.6503

I have a very hard time to reach a conclusion if you are a troll with the title or you are serious. 50$ fair for a map and few other contents? The ENTIRE core game at 50$ has 10 times more content than HoT. If HoT was like 20$, then yes, it was worth and a price set with common sense.

This isn’t a troll post this is my sincere opinion that HoT is worth 50$ if you take into consideration that you will get the following
-Guild Halls
-New Borderlands
-New Elite spec although i’m a bit sad that the thief was not revelead yet.
-1 new Region which i think will be 5 maps with various size.

But that is your opinion i repsect that.

At least tell your opinion with stronger facts on your side. You think those 4 things worth 50$? i mean lol, the core game it’s 50$ and has way more things than HoT has. So no, it’s not worth 50$, 20-25$ yes, but not 50$ for a region that is not even 1/4 compared to entire Tyria.
As Randall said, fair for a new player, not for a player that bought the game already, or for ppl who bought the game 1 month ago for example.

Consider play-time. A traditional RPG, you’ll pay $40-60 easy for 30-60 hours of play. If you’ve played GW2 since launch (like me) you’ll have racked up nearly 3000 hours of play, easy. So for $60, at launch, GW2 is was a steal compared to any other RPG or MMO for that matter.

If HoT adds 2% of the play-time as the base/standard, then it’d still be a steal for $50 when you compare it to other MMO’s or RPG’s.

I still think they should have a character slot for the basic expansion set.

Posted by: Sinope.5630

Sinope.5630

Yes, I saw that too. It was a bit disturbing to me too.

It was kind of misinformation what they first gave us about expansion. Anet is quiet now, because they are sleeping and they are dreaming about huge amount of incoming. I bet they will get huge amount of complaining than incoming.

I know now, that all my friends who even consider to buy expansion have said that they are not going to buy it. Last one who I can call white knight too, said that it is not worth to buy at this point. They all will wait until Anet will have sales for this expansion. It will come one day and we can wait.

Posted by: Animism.9803

Animism.9803

Ok! If I understand carefully what you guys are saying, the cost is too much and the content not enough. Care to remind you guys that the game is a non subscribe game. And one expansion on 3 years for 50$ and you guy are freaking out? As I recall, most of the game now that are either paid to play or on consoles requires you to buy multiple expansion for 30$ on one year only. But hey one xpac for 50$ over 3 years is way more worth then you think boyz. Unhappy, quit whinning like baby and delete the game!

Look back at GW1 :/ And it seems that Anet, after ‘wasting’? time on other adventures, have not had that full amount of time dedicated to an expansion, so it’s no wonder it is lesser…

(edited by Animism.9803)

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

Release a version of HoT ONLY and without the core game. No one wants to pay extra for the core game if they already have the game. Yes you’re saying “The core game is for free”, then why the hell is the standard version so kitten expensive? lower the price.
HoT don’t have 1/10 of the content of the core game so why would anyone pay 44,99 euro? If you want bad rep ArenaNet, sure, go ahead don’t change the price.

and 74,99 for deluxe version? Not even the core game deluxe version was that expensive.

Posted by: Witte.3160

Witte.3160

OP, are you living in a country with a dictator or something? Ppl are allowed to expres their opinions in the democratic world.

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

Well I’ll take your word on it then, I suppose.
Thanks for explaining

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Posted by: Giland.4507

Giland.4507

They could just by the core game just like everyone else did. Most people have pointed out it was only 10 dollars for a long time 49.99 seems like a decent price for the core game and the expansion. Oh wait.

“In the end, we are all just killers and we couldn’t be bothered to care.”

Rebound.3409

OP, are you living in a country with a dictator or something? Ppl are allowed to expres their opinions in the democratic world.

As long as it doesn’t reflect his opinion..all opinions are wrong and should not exist.

It’s very common on the internet and usually comes from ppl who have no way of proving their point or defense..in an effort to not seem like they lost the conversation/case. A defensive technique…a very dumb one.

Posted by: Strach.1572

Strach.1572

So those thousands of hours of gameplay you’ve got from GW2 for no subscription fee and no obligation to buy gems, on top of pretty regular content updates are worth absolutely nothing?

i dont have acces to LS1 so i lost much more content from base game? can they provide me that LS1 when i buy again the core game, doubt that.

Posted by: Entenkommando.5208

Entenkommando.5208

Exactly. People always forget about all the FREE content they recieved besides the 50$ core game.
So let’s say the expansion is worth 25$.
You pay another 25$ for having the living story and newcomers pay another 25$ for the core game.
Looks fair to me.

R.I.P Kodasch Allianz [KoA]

All we wanted was a GvG.

Posted by: Batelle.1680

Batelle.1680

Anyone who is holding this up against the game’s original content is being patently unfair. Games have a price point- you can’t charge $300 for a video game even if it would take a player hundreds of hours to explore everywhere and do everything. This is why there are limitations to the size of single player games, even if they are open world (or “open world”). The dev understands the price point of their game, and develops a content budget from there.

MMOs are different because they have to front load their content without scaring off potential customers/subscribers with a massive price tag for the main game. So they sell the game for the same price as a single player game and count on subscriptions or cash shops to eventually cover the costs of development and to make their initial investment of content profitable. Basically everyone who bought GW2 got one hell of a deal on the original game considering the amount of content it has and the lack of subscription fee.

As for the cost of the HoT- even if it took less time to develop the content for it and even though it won’t have as much content as the base game, it should not be devalued by that metric alone. The base game was a gamble for Anet and I’m guessing that they want HoT to pay for itself (as a unit of content they feel is comparable to an average video game) so that they can continue doing free content updates and being supported by the gem store.

Finally- I would ask a dev about beta character slots before I assume that there’s not going to be a slot added with the basic HoT purchase. I have a beta slot added already (in addition to the slot I purchased)- if they plan on letting us keep that character once the game goes live, then all the rending of garments and assertions of being slapped in the face on that front are a mite melodramatic.

(edited by Batelle.1680)

Posted by: Broom.2561

Broom.2561

(And incidentally: I personally DO prefer games with a subscription and regular free updates. GW/2 is/was my one exception)

Then you would understand how the price vs value is inflated due to lack of sub, p2w, gear/content grind to compensate.

I mostly understand that I can get a LOT more content for my money elsewhere. Including SW:TOR (free to play now), which has FREE expansions.

Also: the reason most MMOs went free-to-play with item stores (including formerly sub based one), was because that model made MORE money than the subscription model. As such, it’s not really a valid excuse for anything.

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

This is getting rediculous

I mean seriously what exactly would have changed for anyone?
seriously how did this effect you exactly?

Tell me how did this not affect people that bought the game solely because it was stated it was needed for HoT before they changed it? Sure it might not be many, but that’s a different discussion all together.

because they’re covernting those people to HoT pre-purchase for free.
Ironically its not those people who are complaining about this.

Posted by: NEOCROM.8957

NEOCROM.8957

Think then about ppl who bought the game 2 weeks ago for example, what about them? They need to pay again for core game if they want HoT. What Anet is doing is just wrong and unfair.
Let’s talk about free MMORPG that gives alot of content and events, what about that? You paid 50$ for the game, they need to give us alot of content and event, simple. Not selling a 20$ expansion at a 50$ price.

Posted by: SmallGryzlly.1958

SmallGryzlly.1958

I must buy a heart of thorns? It’s a DLC ? I thought that it would be further improvements GW2 ??
Thanks.

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

Core game is a free bonus to a set Heart of Thorns price to incentivize new players to get the game and not have them pay double.

Your post is pointless.

Nobody misses you. Go away.

Do you work for ArenaNet? Most likely.

Posted by: Casshern.9678

Casshern.9678

I dont know why I suddenly lost my interest to play when I login and saw the offer to today. I think is what you have said. Many art stuff they only reuse the old, I believe. I cannot believe it give old player 100% new stuff without talking about character slots. They are kicking the vet player.

Posted by: Uproller.1849

Uproller.1849

Because THIS IS THE EXPANSION PRICE. Live with it. You don’t pay more for the Core game. But reading is hard, I know.

This isn’t a matter of “this is the price” or not. It’s a matter of doing it in a way that doesn’t result in kittenstorms on the internet. ANet is notoriously bad at that.

It’s a matter of perception. I know that perception is very subjective but as I said, manipulating and predicting percetion is part of the job ANet should be doing.

In this case, the perception is that :
- I’m a veteran player, I paid I don’t know how much for the game and currently you can get it for as low as $20 if you do it smartly. I can let that slide since everything lowers in price over time
- The expansion comes out and costs me $50
- The expansion has one of the major features be a new class and it’ll cost me $10 more to play it cause … my char slots are maxed for some strange reason

So, as a veteran, I feel like I’ll have after the HoT purchase spent $80 to get the game, while new players will have spent $50 for more or less the same value. Yes I know it’s not the same thing, those $80 gave me one extra char slot etc… But it’s perception. And the perception currently is that I’ll have to spend $30 more than new players to enjoy HoT.

This is too much plain and simple. Hence the complaints. What ANet should have done is throw us virtual bones that are more or less worthless but shift the value perception to a point where nobody complains. The easiest would be to give a free chat slot to players that already own the core game. It’s shift the value perception by a whole $20 back.

New players will also have to drop $20 for Season 2 pack if they want to play through it and won’t be able to relive the living content that most of us veterans were able to play through. Also the core game is F R E E with the expansion. If you already own the core game it doesn’t effect your just paying for the expansion while the core game is F R E E for those you don’t have it, but y’know a SMALL amount of people will complain when they don’t get something free.

You just don’t get it. To current players, they are paying $50 for the expansion; and new players are paying $50 for the expansion and the free core game. Why such disparity exists is beyond me.

It doesn’t matter the core is free or not; it certainly isn’t free for us and we’re paying the same price as the new players and getting half of the package.

No, you don’t get it. Everyone is still paying $50 dollars for the expansion.

No. You don’t. Current players are paying $50 for the expansion and new players are paying $50 for the expansion and the core game.

There is a difference.

Posted by: Isven.2165

Isven.2165

Giving free GW2 with a copy of HoT means Anet (or whoever made that decision) thinks GW2 is now worthless (or at least, that’s how you can interpret it).

No, ANet thinks, that way they will attract more new players.

1 copy = easier to buy
cheaper = more will buy it

So f.e. if 100.000 new player would have bought it for 10€ core + 45€addon =5.500.000
Now if 123.000 new player buy it for the 45€ in combination => 5.535.000
+ bigger chance, that some of those 23.000 players will spent more money in the long run (through buying gems).

For us players: more new player to play with = more fun!

We both win!

Don’t take this the wrong way, but why would I give a kitten about new players? From the perspective of a “veteran” (which really isn’t mine), new players brings chaos. I’m not saying that it’s only bad news, but I do understand why some of the veteran players feel the need to express their disappointment.

Secondly, I think I added “at least, that’s how you can interpret it” to my post, concerning the tied core GW2 with HoT release.

Posted by: pepper.6179

pepper.6179

so they couldn’t make the expansion $40 or added a character slot with the standard preorder option?

[SA]

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

They’re already doing that.

Link because I see nothing on the announcement or in the FAQ. If true then there is no issue.

The current outcry is a perception of value, whereas this is more about deceptive business practices.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3a46s4/preorders_for_heart_of_thorns_are_now_live/cs96lfu

Quote: “We’ll most certainly help anyone out who just bought the core game and would like to make the change to a HoT pre-purchase.”

Posted by: Synesence.7546

Synesence.7546

everything would be fine if anet made the standard version expansion pre-order with +1 free character slot. thats all, no whining and qq around.

The problem here is that Gaile stated these prices and packages are final, shutting down any future hope of changes. Otherwise, this wouldn’t be as bad as it is at the moment.

I honestly feel the sudden addition of preordering an unfinished expansion so soon when they’ve been so quiet about it for so long was a bad move from the start. It was impulsive, and ended up creating bigger issues than fixing them. Anet has no choice now but to announce HoT’s release date soon, seeing as the hype will die very fast if not done, which is no good seeing as all specializations (And content) aren’t revealed yet. We may, sadly, end up getting an unfinished expansion at release, which will end up disappointing alot of people.

Posted by: indelible.5928

indelible.5928

Pretty much a slap on the face of existing loyal players. You have the game? Pay for it again it you want expansion. Absolute Rip-Off.

It would make sense even if it was like $49 for new accounts and $29 for existing.

You don’t do that reading thing, do you? There’s already been multiple posts stating that the expansion would have cost that much -anyway-. The core game being free for new people is -just- a freebie. Get over it.

That doesn’t make it any better.

Most of the features coming with the expansion will be available to core players -anyway-.

Simply saying that you would have overcharged people for your product doesn’t make it better and doesn’t change the fact that you’re overcharging people for your product.

TKT | European Gaming Clan | Aurora Glade | http://www.tktclan.net

Posted by: Mono.7320

Mono.7320

I been lied to…and I feel terrible for it. how does
A: Yes. Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns is an expansion to Guild Wars 2 and not a stand-alone campaign, and therefore it requires the base game to play.
Turn into
A: Yes, but Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns includes the Guild Wars 2 core game.
In 1 day

Posted by: Peterpan.3824

Peterpan.3824

It’s sad, this is gonna cost arena net so much more in a loss of player, than it would have if they put a fair price of the expansion.

Posted by: Julischka Bean.7491

Julischka Bean.7491

Big wide grin. Shakunaw, you are whining about people whining

Good job that

Lisa-Amused

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

The expansion being expensive is a whole different topic to it including the core game.
If you want to pay less, then I guess wait a year or so until the price drops.

Posted by: Jitsuryoku.9038

Jitsuryoku.9038

Bumping the thread…

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

They should just say:

If you activate any of these packages on an account that already own GW2, you get 1600 gems (€20 value) for free in addition to anything stated on the preorder page

Boom even veterans get something. Its not exactly a cost for Anet keeping players around to pay for more gems in the future. They can easily give this for “free”.

Posted by: NEOCROM.8957

NEOCROM.8957

“So, new players are more important to you than the fan base that’s been funding you with gem store purchases for the last few years? Nice to know. Don’t get me wrong, im glad you’re throwing them a bone. Nothing irks me quite like buying something only for that something to be discontinued and re added with a bazillion perks/additions for the same cost (In this case, an expansion). But uhm, your current fan base, and the ones who’ve stuck around.. They should matter too.”
Found this comment in the wall-o-texts there. This guy deserves medal of honor.

Posted by: Hule.8794

Hule.8794

Newcomer:
If you buy HoT you will get 5 new character slots.
veteran:
If you buy HoT you need to buy more character slots.

That is what kittens me.

Posted by: Animism.9803

Animism.9803

Exactly. People always forget about all the FREE content they recieved besides the 50$ core game.
So let’s say the expansion is worth 25$.
You pay another 25$ for having the living story and newcomers pay another 25$ for the core game.
Looks fair to me.

Yeah we probably shouldn’t bank on the idea of the living story being worth 25$, given the amount of people who did not like it.

Posted by: Toxsa.2701

Toxsa.2701

Maybe some of you guys can save that money and buy some crap shooting game that can be beated in 10 hours with 60~70 bucks.

I wouldn’t miss you though.

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

Just wait a year. No need to rush, it will drop down to 30 bucks eventually.

Rebound.3409

I never said they should go over the limit. What i am asking is the content they advertised worth the pricetag of the original content-filled game or not. Am still waiting for someone to make the list i asked for to clear things up for me.

And yes it should be metric if you see what you actually get if u are a veteran or even experienced player. What value in HoT makes it worth 50$?

IRL you ALWAYS compare something you buy, with something else from the same category. Hell even if you buy for example a Mercedes “model 1” car. When “model 1.2” comes out at the exact same price as “model 1” you compare it with that and see if it’s worth investing the same amount of money for basically the same car with some extra features.

What you talk about are ideals that close-to-never apply IRL because of obvious reason. Money has as much value as the product you give that money for..and in most cases even more value then the product sadly.

Untill a valid list of actual improvements/content etc which i could compare to the game itself comes out i cannot buy this product. It has the same price as the product..and it can’t even exist without the previous product.

You tell me not to judge a price by metrics…yet they impose i buy their product by their metrics.

(edited by Rebound.3409)