HoT Price Feedback + Base game included [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Adam.4103

Adam.4103

Nothing is free. They may claim the base game is a free bonus but they clearly either included it in the price or they’re just blatantly overpricing an expansion. Besides not even getting an extra character slot with the base version just reeks of greed.

Adam The Vanquisher
Gandara

Posted by: Forlio.6043

Forlio.6043

Go and try to buy the core game from the shop link at the top right corner.

Posted by: Giland.4507

Giland.4507

It’s likely fair but if it’s not they should make it up with free updates they have that option while not the best. Also just cause you can purchase a character slot does not change the core fact that you should not have to.

“In the end, we are all just killers and we couldn’t be bothered to care.”

Posted by: Synesence.7546

Synesence.7546

I totally agree with the OP, however I’d like to add a different perspective.

Many of us assume (based on the information we have so far) that there will be far less content compared to the base game, yet it costs the same amount as the base game. To be honest, this is still a good deal if you’re a new player. Only problem is most of us who are not happy about this have been since release/headstart.

That said, let’s look at what the Ultimate Package has to offer. 4000 gems + char slot (800 gems) + 4 additional ingame stuff. Let’s consider them 400 gems each, that gives us 1600. 4000 + 1600 + 800 = 6400 That equals 80EUR. There you go 19,99EUR for the expansion (which is the exact amount of the assumed value).

Looking it this way, it’s a bit better. I know many can’t spend 100EUR on a game all at once. I’m still waiting for the release date and a non digital Collector’s edition (as the proud owner of one for the original GW2).

If we apply that idea to the other packaged deals, what the hell are we paying 50$ for? One of the first things they hyped about HoT was the new class, and they don’t even offer us a character slot to use? For 50$?! They have a forum here for big announcements, and they didn’t utilize it for this event. They just suddenly decided to throw it in without warning.

Don’t you feel a bit worried that they’ve spent more time planning the Pre-order packages and seemingly less time on the actual release date? They’ve mentioned before that when they have a release date, they’ll let us know of the pricing, but where the hell is that release date? All the big announcements for changes regarding game mechanics and traits being released NEXT WEEK before the expansion ever comes (it was part of it), and this one just slides in quietly.

It’s just not right. It really isn’t at all.

Posted by: Omocha.4931

Omocha.4931

MMOs are different because they have to front load their content without scaring off potential customers/subscribers with a massive price tag for the main game. So they sell the game for the same price as a single player game and count on subscriptions or cash shops to eventually cover the costs of development and to make their initial investment of content profitable. Basically everyone who bought GW2 got one hell of a deal on the original game considering the amount of content it has and the lack of subscription fee.

As for the cost of the HoT- even if it took less time to develop the content for it and even though it won’t have as much content as the base game, it should not be devalued by that metric alone. The base game was a gamble for Anet and I’m guessing that they want HoT to pay for itself (as a unit of content they feel is comparable to an average video game) so that they can continue doing free content updates and being supported by the gem store.

Based on this assumption, everything post- and HoT related should come at a 0 gems price in store. Because, as you’ve said, the game will pay for itself. Which is not the case:

• new class – buy new char slot – for $10 in gemstore or for $25 in the averagely (to use a mild word) bundle above core “expansion”.
  • more loot – buy new bank/inventory slots
  • new skins and minis you either buy then at “hawt” price in gemstore 10$ for a mini rock? 20$ for some random outfits?! or buy them with the upgraded versions of the HoT release.

No matter how you turn it, the theory doesn’t stand. The community supports the developers for a good product, or the publisher tries anything to milk the comunity. GW1 is a good example for the former, while GW2 for the latter.

GW1 had continents released with each “pack” which all added to the value of existing installation (char slots, bank slots, skills), but had everything of their own too: all classes with new looks and skills PLUS two new classes, own instances, own stories, own skins. GW:EotN didn’t bring new classes, just new skills for all classes, 18 (eighteen) instances and new skins and a large enough map area – at least half the size of Cantha.

GW2: HoT is “unfinished business” from LWS2. It brings class balances which were direly needed and the bosses didn’t want the devs to actually work on them for free (remains to be seen how much balance, though). It adds one more profession, but no bonus whatsoever for existing accounts (booooo!!). From what they’ve said, no instances, just more zergy content. Some bling-blings. On top of that they bring what they promised long time ago not to do (talking about more tiers of armor). And the cherry on top, the deceiving, treacherous way of doing it, by lying to our face. MMO Manifesto all over again.

Lastly, I can’t help but wonder if the mechanics and npcs have so much problem with the current terrain and skills, how smooth will the glinding part be? Will we hit invisble pixels and fall like rocks? Get new and improved versions of “No valid path to target” and “Target too close”? Make fresh lists of bugs that will take 3 more years to get even an answer for?!
At its current state, GW2 feels still in a beta phase. Unresolved bugs, missing story chapters, slapped together pseudo-cutscenes with as much “feelings” and emotions in the characters as a brick can generate. Poorly created in-game animations… Basically everything that could’ve cut down on production costs.

And if you look at the competition, you start to wonder: What’s the difference between paying $15/month for sub in a visually stunning, immersive mmo and paying the same price for a gemstore driven GW2? ‘Cause that’s what it was… And when finally LW reached maturity and a quality worthy of ANet’s reputation, they just had to go and charge for it. So basically, that makes me think that everything from launch to HoT was a community funded open beta.

Big thumb down!

Posted by: Dott.5672

Dott.5672

HAHAHAHA
BONUS?

ANet marketing meeting.

“Guild Wars 2 fans are big role-players, and
we love to give them the tools they need
to have big, important events!” Stop lying, ANet.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

It’s great if you are a new player. But a new players $50 gets more value than a current players $50 – and that doesn’t include the issue relating to needing to buy the base game to play HoT

I guess that’s where people’s opinions fundamentally differ.

I for one place a very high value on the three years the game has been up (or even just the 9 months I got to experience thus far), so in my opinion veterans have had a far better experience and value for their money than new players coming in to the game that will never experience older content

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Zibbles.6349

Zibbles.6349

Personally, I was hoping for a 40$ price point. If one already owns the base game, is it possible to use the base game key from the xpac as a gift to someone else? I mean, I’d be much more willing to go for the 50$ price point if the xpac key was separate from the base key in the xpac bundle. Also, a character slot couldn’t hurt. I’ll probably buy it anyway though, I’ve had way more entertainment from this game than most of the other games I’ve bought over the years and I’m guessing the xpac will give me many more years of entertainment.

Posted by: Lydon.1890

Lydon.1890

I really think and advice everyone whining to stop, because they’re just overloading the servers and it doesn’t help anyone with it.
Complaining about the price won’t make it go lower, eventhough I have to admit I’m part of European countries where the average monthly salary doesn’t fit in the common rank of the European salaries, it is -quarter- of it, therefore the game would be rather overly expensive, however, stop crying and if you aren’t entirely dedicated to the game, don’t -pay- for the expansion.

Stop whining about people whining. Complaining about it won’t make it stop.

See what I did there?

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I’ve been getting less and less enamored with the game for months now, only logging in for the dailies and lately, not every day. Stepping away from it would be the easiest thing right now. I’m definitely not going to pre-purchase, whereas I pre-purchased digital deluxe on the strength of my faith in ANet, built up over the years of GW1. In retrospect, digital deluxe was a terrible deal, the extras rather disappointing. The current pricing scheme seems even worse.

I will need to see exactly what’s going to be in the expansion before I decide to buy, and if I don’t think it’ll keep me slipping back into my current apathy for more than a few months, it’ll be a no-sale, regardless of the price.

(edited by Manasa Devi.7958)

Posted by: ToT.7018

ToT.7018

i would have to get the middle offer as i would need an expansion slot, that’s £60 ($95 in US) I’m sorry but that’s just way more than i though the expansion would be.

Posted by: nerevar.6247

nerevar.6247

Please do tell how you would come to that conclusion. With that kind of reply, I’m not sure if you know what “free” means..

Simple, Heart of Thorns is not “free”. It is a paid expansion. One feature of that expansion is the introduction of a new class. This a feature that is only usable with an empty character slot. For many players, they have no such slot, and those who do are required to sacrifice one of their existing slots for the purpose.

In other words, one of the key paid features of HoT is not usable without either an additional purchase, or sacrificing already purchased content. Asking for that functionality, when you pay for the expansion, is not asking for “free” stuff. It’s asking to be able to use what you pay for.

But then, after the Infinite Continue Coin debacle I guess ANet don’t really care about whether or not customers can use the products they pay for, so long as they’ve paid.

[/quote]

You have 5 free character slots that you got with the game. You also have the option to purchase more slots through in-game gold or Money and also the option to delete a character. O, and I know that the expansion costs money. Not anywhere in my previous post did I say that the expansion is free. All I said is that they have continually updated the game since release for free and will continue to do so after the expansion. I just based my post around why they shouldn’t be asking for more.

(edited by nerevar.6247)

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

skowcia.8257 @
I will just link you this here.

To clarify: $50 is the price of the expansion. We included the core game as a free bonus to make it easier for new players to get into it.

Bonus as a veteran player?lol just lol….

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

Posted by: kevs.8674

kevs.8674

They gotta be kidding me. 50$ for what ? Nothing ?
I’m not buying HoT.

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

It’s great if you are a new player. But a new players $50 gets more value than a current players $50 – and that doesn’t include the issue relating to needing to buy the base game to play HoT

I guess that’s where people’s opinions fundamentally differ.

I for one place a very high value on the three years the game has been up (or even just the 9 months I got to experience thus far), so in my opinion veterans have had a far better experience and value for their money than new players coming in to the game that will never experience older content

I will agree with this. I got nearly 5k hours into this game, I got my money’s worth out of the original purchase. Why would I mind new ppl get easy access to the game? More players is always better.

Posted by: Naomi.2410

Naomi.2410

I won’t pay 50$ for a poor PVE content. I was bored of this game, and i was willing to return after this expansion, but well… I better dont waste my money on this “expansion” and buy another game. It will be 100 times funnier for the same price

(edited by Naomi.2410)

Posted by: Falindae.6075

Falindae.6075

Posted by: happyjedi.1372

happyjedi.1372

TL;DR I’m not buying the expansion as it is now, and there’s nothing I can do but wait. If no changes happen, and they continue down the road like this, I’m out. One whiny player out of their way will benefit the entire community, right? And no, you cannot have my things.

100% agreed, my same thoughts.

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

Nononono it’s 45 euro get your facts straight

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

Posted by: Carbon Footprint.3421

Carbon Footprint.3421

Speaking with my wallet and saving my money.

Side note: I asked my wife, who is a math teacher, and she confirmed that if I paid $60 for the core game and $50 for the expansion, the expansion should have 5/6 the content of the core game. Seems reasonable to me.

Posted by: Alphard.6529

Alphard.6529

I don’t care if it’s cheap or expensive, the point is that I don’t want to pay for something I already own.

Which is?

Which is the core game.

You’re not paying for the core game, it’s included for free. As a bonus for those who don’t have it.

And where is my bonus for being a vet player?

You got both living story seasons for free, in addition to many skins and items that are no longer accessible to new players.

[KING] Alpha Cas

Posted by: Tabootrinket.2631

Tabootrinket.2631

The expansion being expensive is a whole different topic to it including the core game.
If you want to pay less, then I guess wait a year or so until the price drops.

Get the kitten out kittening fanboy scum. ArenaNet are lying and overpricing their game, don’t you see it.

I totally agree with your thread.
But really there’s no need to be rude to other people. You’ll just look silly and lose credibility.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Allow doing something like transfer my characters (and anything account-bound) to the new core game and I would be fine. Then I would have another core to play with. While it would be nice to transfer it to someone else to get them hooked I would not mind 5 more slots to play with.

Synesence.7546

Guys but, is this an expansion or a game development with some extra content?
the thing is, without hot, will you have access to next living story? So aren’t we paying for expansion and coming content hots dedicated?

The thing is the details for this expansion have been very vague, at best. If they’re charging this much for the expansion to justify giving us access to future content, that means they’re not just making us pay for the expansion, but for future content as well (a.k.a Living Story), which was free to begin with (Exception of Season 2 for some). This makes it even more disappointing, as it means they’re charging us for something that used to be free. I do hope that’s the case, I just don’t understand their choice of prices.

To me, HoT doesn’t look or feel like it should cost that much, given what they’ve shown us so far, and how they’ve been so secretive about it. This sudden pre-release drop makes it even worse.

Carbon Footprint.3421

$50 should grant us 5/6 the content of the original game. I don’t think that is too much to ask.

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

Compare the price of this expansion to every WoW expansion, which has either been $39.99 at release or $49.99 at release for the last few…and those DO NOT include the base game…it’s a bargain, but most of the people don’t seem to get it. The expansion costs $49.99 and the base game is included FREE, the standard version is ideal for those that have never played GW2, the Deluxe and Ultimate versions are directed at those that already own the game.

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

You have 5 free character slots that you got with the game. You also have the option to purchase more slots through in-game gold or Money and also the option to delete a character.

O, and I know that the expansion costs money. Not anywhere in my previous post did I say that the expansion is free. All I said is that they have continually updated the game since release for free and will continue you to do so. I just biased my post around why they shouldn’t be asking for more.

None of which is “free”, with the tenuous exception of the gold to gem transfer.

It isn’t “more” to ask that a key feature of the expansion by usable without having to pay extra.

Posted by: beliel.8397

beliel.8397

I think the bigger misstep in marketing was the lack of character slot. It’s basically a neon sign saying “We’re really greedy and will squeeze you for every penny we can!”

This is quite laughable. I love the amount of people who think they’re entitled to free stuff just because they’re veterans . The only greedy people here are people asking for free stuff. You’re still paying the price for the expansion as everyone else. If you own the core game already since launch, GREAT! You have enjoyed 3 years of free updates and support for the game while you probably have stacked hundreds of thousands of hours for game who only have to pay once for. Not only that but the free updates and support will continue you to come before and after the expansion. /Thread

Where you are wrong is not in are you a veteran or not.Every new expansion that comes with new class or race must include a free character slot.HoT has 1 new class so it must have 1 free character slot.It’s that simple….

I’m reading it anywhere in the Eula where they must include a character slot for each expansion. So what I’m left to believe is that you think you are entitled to free stuff.

honestly what i think they all mean is that why should it come with a core game to something we already have, to me that is the biggest slap to the face as some of us that bought the game when it first came out and dedicated time and money to the game get nothing but an expansion. also consider that in previous guild wars titles (though stand alones) gave out 2 character slots for a game that was the same price as the first. Also listening to an outcry of people can help them as your competitors may win over your players example when wow:MoP first came out they listen to their community about not being able to have a monk class if they had all previous 10 classes, they listened and gave out that slot. Sure we shouldnt be entitled for the character slot but its a nice gift to players and a great incentive.

Posted by: upsdn.5426

upsdn.5426

With all the topics created since the HoT pre-order release came out, I don’t see how some of you are still trying to make light of this. Let’s revise the problems with this pre-release on HoT:

• Newcomers get the game AND the expansion for 50$. That’s 50$ for the expansion and the core game for free. That’s 5 slots to try out the Revenant, and for 25-50$ more, they get ANOTHER slot plus a few extras. Existing players attempting to buy the standard package do NOT get the opportunity to even use the new class, even though they’ve mentioned considering it back then.
  • 50$ for an expansion. Now here is where we have lines drawn: on one side, you have people stating the price is reasonable, and on the other, you have people claiming that it’s too much for what it offers. Now, I will say 50$ for an expansion is fine, but as the base price? That’s close to the price of the original game, with far less content! Where’s the logic in that?
  • Heart of Thorns isn’t even finished. Let me repeat that.
    Heart. Of. Thorns. Isn’t. Even. Finished.
    They’ve just gotten you to pre-order an expansion that, first of all, isn’t even complete, and secondly, doesn’t even have a release date. For all you know, you could’ve simply paid for nothing but the extra items they included in the package.

To those of you that have money and bought it, good for you. You have access to the Beta of an unfinished, uncertain expansion that is essentially the original game with less content, but no worries. I’m sure those extra toys you’ve gotten along will keep your mind away from that thought.

Please don’t defend this action with ‘Be grateful we don’t pay subscription fees for all the content they’ve handed to us’. We don’t owe Arenanet for that. We paid for the game, and we support its business model by using real money to buy things in the Gem Store. We’re glad they’ve given us free content over the years, but that doesn’t justify the price they’re asking for on an expansion with far less content. You can’t giveaway free things and then suddenly decide to charge for new content at a much higher price so you can get compensation for all that you’ve previously offered.

I honestly don’t know whose idea this was, and Paul’s little comment made it far worse than it should’ve been. All I know that this will not end well either way for Arenanet. Making changes now to benefit the veteran players will cause those who’ve pre-ordered the expansion at the current price to demand some sort of refund or compensation, and not making any changes will cause a loss of many veteran players who feel that they’ve been tricked.

Love the game, but not at all satisfied with this situation.

TL;DR I’m not buying the expansion as it is now, and there’s nothing I can do but wait. If no changes happen, and they continue down the road like this, I’m out. One whiny player out of their way will benefit the entire community, right? And no, you cannot have my things.

Thanks for reading. If I’m wrong, I’d love for it to be cleared up.

Agree, +1. You didn’t cover all the bases but this is a decent summary of one issue. It’s all very simple. Anyone who claims not to understand it is being willfully ignorant; anyone who aggressively ridicules it is arrogant and a little tiny bit fascist.

Posted by: tovadaun.6304

tovadaun.6304

Did people go insane and claw the walls when they merged the original GW trilogy in to one pack for a lower cost?

Did they go mad and scream scam when WoW merged it’s first three expansions in to the base game cost?

No problem about merging existing things but this is not the case. It’s an expansion you must buy with base game from the very beginning.

You’re not understanding…
When WoW Vanilla came out, it was $50 the Deluxe and Collector’s were a lot more. Then Burning Crusade came out. Again $50 base. Wrath of the Lich King was the same. Cataclysm and Mists of Pandaria were also $50 for the base xpac. Warlords of Draenor was $70.
Only upon release of Warlords of Draenor did they merge the first 3 (Vanilla, BC and WotLK) and that Base Game is now $20.
You still have to buy Cata, MoP AND WoD to play any new content above lvl70 (where WotLK stops) as well as the fact that after the box sales are finished You Can No Longer Upgrade To A Higher Version (No Base to Deluxe) and if you did not purchase the higher versions- you will never get those in-game extras (that amount to an in-game pet (sometimes a mount unusable in all zones), avatars for StarCraft and banners for Diablo).
So that roll-up/merge took $150 worth of game and made it $20.
Please get facts straight about other games before you dismiss them as examples simply because you feel “I don’t play this game, therefore it does not apply to this situation”.
Right now, for HoT- If you own the game, you get an xpac for $50. You do not know what this all includes. They have not revealed everything yet. They just revealed the Guild Halls for the first Sneak Peek last night and yet more of them is to come Friday.
If $50 has been too much to save since January all I can offer is this-
Since January, if you’d saved $30-40 then take another month and save $10-20 more for the xpac. If you failed to save up for it in the last 6 months- This is not an emergency on the community’s or ANet’s part. It was a failure to plan of yours.
I can’t even apologize for being so blunt. This is life, and this is how it works.

You can disagree with the cost. You can decide it’s not worth the cost to yourself. You cannot demand that a company lower it’s prices because you failed to plan for it and expect it to happen.

Kitta the Conjurer, Guardian- At Your Service- Yak’s Bend
Stuff! Stuffy stuff stuff stuff!!

Carbon Footprint.3421

$50 for 5/6 the content of the core game or $0 from me.

Posted by: Valmir.4590

Valmir.4590

I’m going to assume the people here are veterans.

To all veteran players, calm down and think about what we have at the moment. What do we have that no new players have? Experience? Maybe. But what puts us at a significant amount of advantage due to our overwhelming amount of game time? The answer is GOLD. Not only do we have an excess of gold by now, we also have full knowledge of the richest gold farming spots that no other new player has knowledge of. This might be useless in the HoT value debate but consider this: HoT is available in the gem store. What does this mean? It means it’s worth gems and where can we get gems? By converting all our gold/karma/t6 mats to gems. Effectively we have a means of getting HoT at ZERO value as well…and we have a head start.

Why is this a reliable method? Well the price of the original GW2 (core game) is now ZERO. What this means is that future copies of GW2 is now being sold as GW2:HoT meaning that you can obtain a digital upgrade for approximately(?) 2500gems (or less if you wait for a sale). I am not denying that this move is shocking, but there is a way around it. Furthermore IF in the time that you have played the game you are still unwilling to invest in this amount of time to amass such a fortune, you probably won’t have the time to further invest in future developments of HoT (in which case your money and time is wisely spent elsewhere).

IMO I’m going to wait for gem prices to drop before investing in HoT…I think 6 months is a safe bet.

Do you know hopw many gold I have ? 52 gold pieces. That’s the max amount I’ve ever had in the same time ingame, even if I earned a lot more since I play, obviously. Among this money, half of it is the selling of gems unused after buying them with real money.

How come I have so few gold that when in Arah story made last month (for my first time there) I was shocked when a player told he had nothing, only 250 gold pieces ? Because I dislike farming, and that sadly, in GW2 the only real way to have gold in Pve is to farm. You farm dungeons or you farm WB.

Despite all of this, GW2 is my favourite MMO on the market. But I feel cheated by how Arena Net is handling HoT. ANd I’ve every right to feel that way. It doesn’t matter that I’ve more gold than a new player, or more stuff. What matters is that either everyone get a meaningful bonus, or nobody does. By catering only to new players, Anet is pushing older ones outside the game, as it is happening in my guild with at least on person, who was one of the most active.

So, if the trend continue, my guild could suffer greatly. it it does, I won’t have any reason to connect anymore, meaning that the cash I injected sometimes into the cash shop will be lost. And looking at the reaction everywhere on the Net, I feel that I’m not alone in this position.

Therefore, it is only the rationale position to say that ANet campaign for HoT is an abject failure and that they’ll need to rethink everything about it, and begin from scratch if they ever hope to get back older players who will have left them when the expansion after HoT will be released. Because I’m afraid a lot of current players will sit out during HoT, and that means that getting them back in the game will be twice as hard as it is now to bring back players already having left the game.

We can make fun of the Wildstar die-hard who proclaimed that everything was fine when people left en masse, but only for so long. After that, we are like them.

Compare the price of this expansion to every WoW expansion, which has either been $39.99 at release or $49.99 at release for the last few…and those DO NOT include the base game…it’s a bargain, but most of the people don’t seem to get it. The expansion costs $49.99 and the base game is included FREE, the standard version is ideal for those that have never played GW2, the Deluxe and Ultimate versions are directed at those that already own the game.

If I have to pay 75€ to have an expansion tailored for me, as I’ve already the game since before launch, then the expansion is not made for me at all.

(edited by Valmir.4590)

Posted by: Naomi.2410

Naomi.2410

WoW has expansions, GW2 has a few new maps.

Posted by: hobotnicax.7918

hobotnicax.7918

I am shocked at the “basic” HoT pre-purchase offering. I did not see this one coming at all.
Only thing that “makes sense” is the Ultimate edition, kinda. But still, it begs the question… Why in the world would you pre-purchase something when half of the content is still yet to be revealed? Sure you can argue that you’re a hardcore fan and you don’t care, that’s fine by me, but most of us must be scratching our heads right now.
When GW2 was offered as a pre-purchase you knew all about the professions, mechanics etc. while now with an EXPANSION we know maybe half. And the most insane thing about it, Anet wants 45€ for it (yes it includes the game, but we already have that don’t we?). Pricing is off, timing is off and I think Anet showed us their true face once again. I am disappointed, but I’ll just wait it out and see if they can man up and fix their mistake.

Posted by: Mordeus.1234

Mordeus.1234

I’m already installing another game while I wait out things out.

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

pre-orders often start without a release date. Furthermore you’re not forced to buy the game right now, so there’s no “fiasco” there. Price is on par with other MMOs so I don’t see an issue and why is it a bad thing new players get easy access? Attracting new players is never a bad thing for an MMO.

“but my character slot QQ” It’s a 150g for 800 gems right now. Hardly worth whining over.

Posted by: Rakshasa.5493

Rakshasa.5493

I don’t see any thing wrong with the price, GW2 people are in the habit of getting every thing for free (living story wise)

They have changed the mechanics of how, stuff works, (that’s cost money, you play for time and the persons wage)

The WvW map, the new PvE map that is pretty much on different levels, so bigger then it looks, (well done anet for cramming more map space in to a standard map).

I think its a good price,

Time, work on the servers, new content, development costs, wages, time making it live.

‘Oh but it has the core game in the pack too,’ ’I’m a veteran of this game, I feel like I have been robbed,’

Its a company not a soup kitchen, There is no charge for the core game, I don’t see the problem, I spent £42.99 on Gw2 when it came out, I have seen it for sale with 50% off!!! So I should get a refund??

How are they kicking the veteran players?
Because there not charging for the core game?

New players bring with them, more sales in the gem store too, so there helping to pay for the new living world content, new WvW (I say new WvW its like a unloved step child)
They haven’t charged for the core game they haven’t lied to you,

Posted by: nerevar.6247

nerevar.6247

You have 5 free character slots that you got with the game. You also have the option to purchase more slots through in-game gold or Money and also the option to delete a character.

O, and I know that the expansion costs money. Not anywhere in my previous post did I say that the expansion is free. All I said is that they have continually updated the game since release for free and will continue you to do so. I just biased my post around why they shouldn’t be asking for more.

None of which is “free”, with the tenuous exception of the gold to gem transfer.

It isn’t “more” to ask that a key feature of the expansion by usable without having to pay extra.

Sorry, its getting late and I can’t type/read what I’m typing. Here is what I meant to say.

You have 5 free character slots that you got with the game. You also have the option to purchase more slots through in-game gold or Money and also the option to delete a character. O, and I know that the expansion costs money. Not anywhere in my previous post did I say that the expansion is free. All I said is that they have continually updated the game since release for free and will continue to do so after the expansion. I just based my post around why they shouldn’t be asking for more.

Its fine if you disagree with me.

Last post idk why I’m still up :/

Posted by: Noctis.5418

Noctis.5418

To clarify: $50 is the price of the expansion. We included the core game as a free bonus to make it easier for new players to get into it.

You guys literally just had a $10 sale on the core game. That’s as easy as you can make it for new players to “get into it” without ripping every other god kitten player off. The amount of money you guys will lose from disgruntled current players will be much larger than if you just discounted current players.

Synesence.7546

Allow doing something like transfer my characters (and anything account-bound) to the new core game and I would be fine. Then I would have another core to play with. While it would be nice to transfer it to someone else to get them hooked I would not mind 5 more slots to play with.

Sadly, they won’t do that, and if they did, all that’d end up doing is have everyone who already has an account get one without the expansion, and if they give that away to a friend, said friend would still have to buy the expansion, assuming the package is the same. It’s a vicious cycle.

Posted by: Zee.1294

Zee.1294

ANet: …..To all our beloved loyal fans.. we are grateful for you time end money spend over the years end for that you will got a nice ,fresh banana to smooch…

Viggen ( SF ) warrior – JQ
Want some…..come get some !

Posted by: upsdn.5426

upsdn.5426

They could get mad and cancel the expansion due to all the complaining about the price point. It’s a alot of work to make this content and we are getting alot of add ons to the classes if they done it right they should be like re-leveling you class all over again basically making it like adding alot of classes. So Anet thank you, but treat us fairly let us play the Revenant at launch and for the love of Jim Bob talk to the people and don’t tell them everything about the expansion but let them know there is more than you are telling us.

Oh no! I hope ANet doesn’t get mad at us for complaining! The words you’re using, there’s no way you’re spending your own money—surely your pre-order was paid for by your parents. You have no concept of what it means to be purchasing a product with currency you earned.

Once you pay the hard-earned cash price for a product, you do not owe gratitude to the merchant. Get off of your knees.

Posted by: Yasi.9065

Yasi.9065

$50 Im expecting a new game.

HoT is not a new game. Its an expansion with max. 1 year developement time. Which makes it max 50% of the content gw2 or any new mmo has. And Im being generous. Probably its just 30%.

Not gonna pre-purchase, even though I scrimped for it already.

Probably not gonna buy it until its for sale in gemstore.

Nothing is worth getting scammed. Think about it guys.

Posted by: Pyriel.4370

Pyriel.4370

Tbf if they just threw in a character slot it should sort a lot of the complaints, as the price tag will feel more worth it and it is a nod to veterans.

Posted by: Volmarg.4310

Volmarg.4310

It’s not like they care what we write but.

1st post is correct.
20$ is fine for the content we will get.
30$ for the pre purchase would be ok.

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

REALLY? So it means the expansion is even more expensive than what the core game was? WTH? I paid $40 for the core game around 1 and half year ago… No way to get a pre-purchase from me… gotta wait until it’s released and on some sale (if any) oh well… How nice Anet… >.>

What you got is called a sale price. It was $59.99 when it launched.

Yes, I got it on a sale (30%off I think) because it’s only what my currency conversion allows me. Btw, due my currency conversion nowdays what I would pay for this “expansion” is more than 3x more what I paid for the core game 2 years ago… >.<

Carbon Footprint.3421

I’ve been discussing HoT’s content with someone before, and I told him that I get the feeling that it isn’t close to what an xpac should be. Then our discussion ended with “well it will depend on the price”. And now look, I was right all along.

So far, here’s what I know we’re getting for sure:
1. New 1 zone, the vertical one. The way they emphasized a lot of times the verticality of this new zone makes me think that this is all we gonna get. A single zone with a lot of floors.
2. New Guild Halls – okay new one! excited about this.
3. New PVP Stronghold
4. New masteries
5. New/Sort of elite spec for each profession (good for you if the new elite works out for your class, if not sorry)
6. New/Sort of 1 weapon choice for each profession (some only get offhand, and tough luck if that new weapon is actually useful on your class)
7. New profession!!! Woot!
8. Replaced borderlands – I repeat, replaced. The new bl maps are supposed to replace the old one, so it means, technically, it’s not part of HoT. Don’t tell me old players who won’t buy the xpac won’t have access to wvw bls?
9. Reworked Normal Specialization – in short, re-worked trait system. Not included in HoT.

And now I believe that is all? How is that even on par with the content available in the base game? There were no mentions of new dungeons and fractal maps even.

It’s like they’ve thrown in the bonus base game to justify the $50 price tag.

If you compare this to what you got for paying $60 for the original game, your list falls quite short of kitten value.

Posted by: Gray.9041

Gray.9041

Guild Wars 2 £130 in 3 years (+ the occaisional Gem purchase)

Compared to

WOW 10 yrs on and off in excess of £1000

I think i can live with the price of HoT

not really a good example. there have been countries with worse records of human rights violations than North Korea, but that doesn’t make what’s going on there okay.

we don’t want Better than —-. we want good.

Posted by: Damian.6978

Damian.6978

Just chipping in and saying that I’m really disappointed by this. I’ve gladly spent a lot of money on gems for cosmetics over the years I’ve played since launch; money isn’t the problem for me. But I fail to see the value I’m getting here as an existing player since launch. €44.99 for an expansion that, for all we know, has extremely little content. And not just that, you ask us to pre-order while getting nothing in return for it (sans a title and getting to beta test your game for you) nor any tentative release date.

Was your marketing department asleep on the job? It should be obvious your fans would react severely negatively to this.

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

They didnt lie anywhere.
The fact that you need the game to play HoT still is true.
they never said that you need to buy it first.
youre all jzst overreacting.

You say you need the base game, then come out with a big 75% discount sale, and then include the basegame into the expansion anyway.
I wonder how many people bought GW2 on discount, thinking they get a good deal in preperation for an incomming expansion.

I think the main reason why people are upset is because anet is giving new players a rather significant bonus, but for the veterans who stuck with GW2 for 3 years now they don’t do anything (yet).