HoT Price Feedback + Base game included [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Brizna.5612

Brizna.5612

I am not interested in buying GW2 again thx, I don’t care about the wording, it’s 50 ( a lot) for expansion + base game.

Posted by: karenlynn.4012

karenlynn.4012

To clarify: $50 is the price of the expansion. We included the core game as a free bonus to make it easier for new players to get into it.

This is a very generous bonus, and I bet new players will really appreciate it. As an existing player, I have no problem with the cost of the expansion. But as a consumer I expect to receive the same value for my money as any other customer buying the same product. So what bonus will I receive, as I won’t get the free included game?

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

What’s realistically stopping us from simply giving our current accounts to a friend while activating a brand new one with the HoT code?

I siphon all my gold and mats to the new account via a guild bank over the course of a couple weeks and voila, I’m not actually missing all that much, and the few account bound things left behind will at least be things my friends playing on my “buddy account” will get to enjoy.

There’s really no incentive to merge HoT into my current account.

Besides my map completion, Acc/Character Bound itens, Wardrobe skins, tittles, story achievs and unique itens…. No thanks.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

What’s realistically stopping us from simply giving our current accounts to a friend while activating a brand new one with the HoT code?

I siphon all my gold and mats to the new account via a guild bank over the course of a couple weeks and voila, I’m not actually missing all that much, and the few account bound things left behind will at least be things my friends playing on my “buddy account” will get to enjoy.

There’s really no incentive to merge HoT into my current account.

Because it is against ToS to transfer an account to another person. The account would be subjected to being banned.

The Burninator

Posted by: Pug.9784

Pug.9784

Copy and pasted from the email anet sent me to say “buy this”

The Ultimate edition of the game includes all of the above in addition to 4,000 gems. The Ultimate edition will not be available as an upgrade and must be purchased as a full game package.

The wording makes me belive that the other options ARE available as an upgrade so where is the UPGRADE price not the expansion price…

Posted by: papry.8096

papry.8096

Indeed, i totally agree

Everyone where scammed equally in the others game.
Whereas, there it’s veteran getting scammed and newcomer being rewarded.
Do you see the difference ?
I sure do.

Posted by: HoangAn.2085

HoangAn.2085

The Ultimate edition of the game includes all of the above in addition to 4,000 gems. The Ultimate edition will not be available as an upgrade and must be purchased as a full game package.

The wording makes me belive that the other options ARE available as an upgrade so where is the UPGRADE price not the expansion price…

Really, its only worth getting ultimate or standard. Deluxe is whatever because you can upgrade from standard to deluxe via gem store. Apparently these items won’t be limited

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

They are talking about being able to upgrade from the standard edition of the x-pac to deluxe which can be done via gem store. However, players will not have to option to upgrade to the Ultimate edition.

https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/94582027-Heart-of-Thorns-Pre-Purchase-FAQ

If I purchase the Standard or Deluxe editions of Heart of Thorns will I be able to upgrade to Deluxe or Ultimate later?

You will be able to upgrade to Deluxe in the gem store, but the only way to receive the Ultimate edition is to buy it from buy.guildwars2.com or in-game.

The Burninator

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Having bought the Deluxe edition, I find this “marketing” insulting.
I expect better of Arenanet. …or atleast I used to.

Posted by: eleshazar.6902

eleshazar.6902

Adding my voice in to the countless others. I will not buy the expansion as it stands if it remains like this. Absolutely terrible way to treat your current customers. It makes me so sad that Anet has turned into this scummy company after being one of my favorite game companies for the longest time.

All professions level 80| Champion Paragon, Phantom, Genius
Phoenix Ascendant [ASH] | Rank 80

Posted by: Gaab.4257

Gaab.4257

Well I’m with Guild Wars since GW1 and bought all releases as soon as they were available – until now. I’ve supported anet a lot, and brought many friends into the game. I always thought they have a fair pricing and they gave me good value for my price and I used their expansion policy as good examples when talking about online games: reasonable price and on expansions they always included extra character slot.

Now this looks like a different anet that I don’t really like anymore. This expansion announcement looks like a PR disaster to me. The price is for a full release however the content looks like a minor expansion (even less than Eye of the North was – which was actually priced lower than this). Actually the price is higher than what I payed for the core game… it’s not that I don’t have the money. It’s that I don’t think it’s worth the price.

I believe old players deserve at least that as always before, the extra character slot should be included in the expansion for them. I definitely won’t pay extra for it (just exchanged some gold to gems and bought it ). Not lieing, I will probably buy the expansion, but definitely not prepurchasing. But in anyway, this is again a case where I got disappointed in anet (after those success stories like megaserver, traits redesign, new player experience…). Feels like anet concentrates on income now, and does not care anymore for the loyalty or sympathy of its players.

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

I think the price for the basic expansion would be fine if it included a character slot. I think it’s high without a character slot. I am okay with the pricing for the Ultimate package since it includes both a character slot and $50 worth of gems, but I think the Deluxe Package is overpriced for what is included.

This is probably how A-Net wants us to feel about things — that way they collect $100 for the expansion instead of $50.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Posted by: EverythingXen.1835

EverythingXen.1835

At the end of the day.

I look at what my $59.99 bought me when I got GW2.
Then I look at what my $59.99 will buy me if I got GW2 HoT.

The value simply isn’t there.

Posted by: adubb.2453

adubb.2453

Oh. My post was deleted and will now be merged into this unreadable cluster of a megathread.

Great.

Message received. I’ll just kitten off then.

Posted by: Ravanus.2543

Ravanus.2543

They won’t care about your opinion, because they already got your money.

And I also expected better of Anet, that’s why I will wait and see what time brings.

When they give us more info about the xpack and when they give us release date, then I will think if I want to buy it or not.

For now I’m just disappointed, that’s all. I still hope that they will maybe break and give us another option.

Posted by: evoRobot.4019

evoRobot.4019

The 50 dollars you paid for your 5 character slots on the core game is now worth 10 – 40 dollars. So why should you be compensated further after playing the game for 3 years. What game compensates users after 3 years of a one time purchase? You’re lucky they didn’t create a new game altogether.

You post this like Factions and Nightfall don’t exist.

Haha yeah, it existed 10 years ago… Times have changed, businesses change, its 2015, get with the time baby.

Yeah, in 2015 90% of MMOs are F2P with cash shop. Most Subscription MMOs tank.
As ultimately opposed to 2005-2008 When Most (good) MMOs were subscribed.
So yes, good example.

LOL! SO why are you here? I don’t need to convince you with an example. From the start Arena Net said they are trying their own unique model.. SO here it, enjoy! Or goodbye!

The white knighting you’re doing is absolutely disgusting. A-Net is ripping all the current players off with the pricing, and without compensation via gem store stuff, they may be finding Maguuma to be far less busy than they hoped.

LOL! A company worth millions of dollars with professional in business and management doesn’t need a white knight. You sir are too used to spending your days on the computer world of the internetz.

Without compensation via gem store stuff.. LOL come on dude. Why do you deserve free money.

Ironic your username has Maguuma and your ready to slay the Xpac 3 months before release. I can’t tell if you’re troll or not, lets hope troll.

I’d have changed to just Lavafrost, but I wasn’t aware when I made this account name. I’ve played GW1 and obtained 30/50 in the HoM. It’s also not about free money, it’s about the price being unfair to loyal customers (heck, even people who bought the game days before HoT was announced).

It’s not unfair, it’s pretty simple. Xpac is 50 bucks. Comes with the core game for free (which valued at low point $10).

2 -3 Years from now, do you expect another compensation because you jumped the gun and bought HoT at full price on release.

If 2-3 from now we get an expansion that requires and comes with core game, and HoT and I already own both then I expect a $15 discount at minimum.

Otherwise it’s like a car dealer that requires a trade in that they pay $0 on, and gives you a shiny new car for $50k. But if you don’t currently own a car you get the shiny new one for the same $50k.

But you’re not trading anything in.. You get to keep your car.. and you get the new one..

Not to mention that you can’t even compare the 3 years of progress you made in the game to a car.

Xscape

Posted by: Markin.9167

Markin.9167

I’m already a player, if i buy the pre-purchase i will receive the expansion + base game? both serial keys? base game is a bonus right?

Posted by: Witch of Doom.5739

Witch of Doom.5739

Actually, the more I think about this mess, the less unhappy I am for long-time players like myself — here since the release of the first GW — and the more I feel terrible for those new players who JUST BOUGHT the base game a few weeks or months ago. Now if they want the expansion they have to shell out for the whole package.

I agree with karenlynn above. Brand new players are getting the VALUE of the full base game plus the expansion. Where is the VALUE that veteran players are getting for paying the exact same price?

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

I’m already a player, if i buy the pre-purchase i will receive the expansion + base game? both serial keys? base game is a bonus right?

No, you will only get the base game if you don’t have it already. If you use the key you get for that bundle on your existing account, it will upgrade to HoT and that’s it. The key for the base game isn’t separate.

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Posted by: karenlynn.4012

karenlynn.4012

No. Unfortunately if you already own and play the game, you do not receive any bonus content.

Posted by: Scoundrel.2139

Scoundrel.2139

Voice added: not paying $50US for a game I already own, with no Char slot (which even if included I can’t see being $50 value).

I may be a cynic, but it just smacks of corporate greed and a company out of touch.

Veni, Vidi, Victa.
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit, Altum Videtur

Posted by: BlazeQ.1095

BlazeQ.1095

Logged in this morning to see the pre-purchase announcement. Immediately grabbed my credit card, clicked on the link, Saw the price of $50 with no character expansion slot. I’ve since put my credit card away.

Cold Beerdrinker
PB Officer
NSP

Posted by: RunicAura.9860

RunicAura.9860

In a few hours you’ll get a response that states we have included a few character slots into the base upgrade but the standard didn’t list what you get included into the hot upgrade since that just lists what extras you get for prepurchase and bonus pack type deal. Which would be all good but that still doesn’t show the whole core game free to assist new players in getting into the game value and leaving the current players out.

Of course this is just a prediction not something that I know for sure.

Posted by: Markin.9167

Markin.9167

No. Unfortunately if you already own and play the game, you do not receive any bonus content.

Lol, it makes no sense, at all

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

More info about the content of HoT before pre-orders would have been really nice, yeah.

now that I agree with

Posted by: Odyssey.2613

Odyssey.2613

The dev team has proven they can’t balance a 2×4 on a cinder block.

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

Most of people isn’t whining about the content, Morfedel. Most of people -specially vets- are whining the WRONG decission that Anet took with the Basic Edition. Vets want to buy HoT without the ‘core’, which would mean $10 less. Or, at least, to get something for justifying this overcost -like a character slot, for example.

No, there ARE people whining about things like “this doesnt have enough content to blah blah blah.”

I didn’t say there was a majority of them doing so, but they are.

As it stands, though, really, $40-$60 is the standard price point for an expansion anyway for the vast majority of other mmorpgs; granted they usually included a new character slot and didn’t include the core game, but really, the price itself is not really out of bounds considering the price of other expansions.

Most people compare the expansion price to other games. But what about level of content?
Naming something an expansion doesn’t automatically give it the same depth of content as other games.
WoW expansions cost that much but usually bring about a TON of content, including new raids, new gear, and new levels. So much so that many times it feels like a new game altogether. We’re getting some revamped systems (stuff that they probably should have launched/fixed outside a expansion anyhow to prevent stagnation), a new class, and so far we know of 1 PVE map. And Guild Halls.
Given what we know so far the expansion has less content than what was released with Living World…
So yes, i don’t think its worth 45€.
Plus there’s also examples of other games with expansions for less than that, with comparatively more content.

Ok, we don’t know how much content is going to be there. This is actually a mistake on ANET’s fault, we should have a better idea of the total content.

But that being said, you can’t say it has less content than living story, or other mmo expansions for that matter, because you dont KNOW. Neither do I for that matter. You may be right, and then the entire GW2 community will be inflamed; but at this point, we don’t have the information to make such claims either way.

Posted by: Stubbies.4526

Stubbies.4526

sure it’s been said already, but I’m not wading through 58 pages of posts that feel the same as I.

I could stomach the $50 a lot easier if it was purchased and delivered as 2 separate keys. I get my expansion, and if I want, I can give the core game-key to a friend.

Do this, you get my $50. Keep them linked and I won’t be purchasing until there’s a severe price drop.

Nibbles Terrorclaw – Meatshield
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

I’m going to have to give a slight rant about the pricing of HoT’s pre-purchase. But let me start by saying that the deal is good…. if you’re a new player. For $50 you can buy the core game and HoT all-in-one; for an additional $20 you can buy a bunch of cosmetic stuff and an extra character slot; and an additional $30 adds $50 worth of gems. And if you’re a new player, that’s great! I think the Deluxe is a total rip – $20 for a mini, glider skin, guild hall item, and character slot basically – but that’s personal opinion as I only see use for that character slot and maybe the guild hall item. The Ultimate is pretty good – it’s basically buying the base game and HoT for $50, then $50 worth of gems, and the rest which is given in the Deluxe free.

But to existing players, the deal is total kitten. Yeah, yeah, I’ve heard the argument that there’s so many new features and that most MMO expansions are a little cheaper but they have subscriptions. But that’s just it. Many new features. We’re being charged the price of a full game for features – most of which are copies of GW1’s features that were available upon Prophecies’ release. But there’s the CONTENT? We have seen a single map with promises. Promises of a good story – hard to believe with the crap that was the Living World – and promises of plenty of content per map. But not even a guesstimate on how many hours of gameplay the story itself can give; no guesstimate on how many events per map we’ll be seeing, or how many maps we’re getting. For all we know, HoT is that single map in PvE content with a single Living World episode’s worth of story instances. I doubt that’s the case, but at this point – six months after reveal of HoT’s existence; six months after a content update, and we don’t know any more on the content of HoT than we did by the end of January. We’ve only learned about features.

I am willing to pay $50 for an expansion. The price isn’t the issue. It’s the price-for-content that’s the issue. Most expansions are priced at half of the initial game’s cost because they only give a third or half of a full game’s content. Factions and Nightfall were full priced because they were stand-alone and full campaigns.

I will not pay $50 for access to guild halls, elite specializations, revenant, a single map, Stronghold, and new WvW borderlands. And I’m fairly sure that the latter two will end up accessible to all (certainly the new WvW borderlands). I will pay $50 for a full game, like GW1’s campaigns were. I will pay $30 for half-a-game like most expansions are. But I will not pay $50 for guild halls, elite specializations, a new profession, and a single map.

And let me go a little bit into the purpose of pre-orders and pre-purchases. Such a thing came about when games were mainly sold in stores rather than online, because the more expected titles can sell out fast. Pre-orders became a thing to ensure a customer got that game on release day. Via online, all it does is allow a customer to pay sooner rather than later. But the issue is that we have no indication on whether or not that game is good or not. Nowadays, companies are exploiting the pre-purchase aspect with all these pre-purchase-only gizmos and promises that in the end don’t matter much (or shouldn’t). And this pre-purchase is no different – only the character slot is really all that useful, but I don’t need to pay $20 for that. And still, I know nothing about what I’m paying for beyond ‘features’.

Features used to be free updates. They tend to be in most games. Content is what you pay for, more often than not. HoT is not content – not what they’ve showed at least.

Sorry Anet, but that incentive is not incentive. You need to tell me that I’m getting my money’s worth.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

Posted by: Pug.9784

Pug.9784

Really, its only worth getting ultimate or standard. Deluxe is whatever because you can upgrade from standard to deluxe via gem store. Apparently these items won’t be limited

I agree about standard/ ultimate due to the 4000 gems being equal to the price difference. but my comment just simply is that anet used the word upgrade and there is no upgrade price.

Posted by: Orochimaru.4730

Orochimaru.4730

When I pre-ordered the expansion for GW1 I got 2 free expansion slots with each one I think.

Yet with this we arent even getting a real expansion and not even 1 character slot.

Even if Anet add a slot to the £35 Standard HoT copy I still will not buy it, because this feature pack is not an expansion!

Posted by: shugo.8396

shugo.8396

I’ve been playing almost daily since the game released. When I saw the pre-purchase icon today I got all giddy and was ready to buy. Then I saw the price and it immediately hurt my feelings. I just don’t see any conceivable way that I’ll get $50 worth of content with the expansion. Unless these new zones are nearly the size of the all the current zones combined, it doesn’t seem worth it to me.

Now I don’t even feel like doing my dailies anymore. I’m just disappointed and annoyed. Maybe it’s time I take a break from the game. It hurts saying that, but I just can’t justify playing anymore. Not after this.

Posted by: Hotze.2687

Hotze.2687

I can’t believe that if you already have the core game that they don’t give you an additional character slot at the $50 price. Basically everyone that has been loyal to GW2 from launch gets no love from ANET and that is BS. I will not be buying the expansion.

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

Before this gets merged you all need to realize the expansion the actual expansion is $50. Yes if your a brand new player you get base game to. Even if anet removed the free base game for new players it would still be $50. Please understand the ONLY thing anet did was be generous to new players which will also get new players in the game for us. This is good for everyone in every way. If you just bought the game 4 days ago or whatever so what, you have months to play before it comes out, go have fun with this game instead of complaining.

From a player who finally makes sense.

Posted by: Draco.9480

Draco.9480

not going to buy for a rip off. I’ll only buy for a reasonable price like 20-30$ but not 50$.
I don’t want any free core game and I don’t want to pay double.
I’ll just try the balance patch and absorb the entire juice of the game and go play other game.

Posted by: Drayos.8759

Drayos.8759

People arguing the base price of the game is reflected in the cost.

When they first decided on HoT the price was Estimated at the exact price it is now, there was no increase in price after they decided to give the base game free, the expansion was Designed to be sold at the price it is now. MMO/Games Charge the same Price for every release of their games, its a Common design among ALL MMOs today.

People Arguing this is Unfair.

Is it unfair really?…. think of it this way u invested in entertainment, for ur inital price, u have gained 3 years of Entertainment, they have delievered exactly what u paid for, so no it isnt a Rip off, but in comparison to a new player it does LOOK like they get more due to the wording and timing of this decision.

Should the Price reflect the fact some paid for the normal game before?

No, because the game would not sell for £34 today, at no level, it’d put people off coming to the game at all, Why is a OLD and USELESS part of a game costing u anything…. Vanilla WoW had a inital Cost… Does anyone use it anymore? NOPPPEEE Old = Worthless… Its Rendered to be nothing.

Should vets of recieved a bonus for this.

Well it would have been nice i agree, it’d of been a nice gesture to give players something for their loyalty, however for how free the game really is with 0 sub model and No micro transactions required i feel no it isnt a MUST… they give u SOOO Much for just free.. all the content during the expansion Free.. Levelling free all areas of the game free…. U even can buy cash shop items without buying into the game.

The Actual Costs of the game.

3 years lifespan on their stuff so we’ll run with that.

0.9p / 1.38 dollars a Month for the expansion… thats cheaper then any game has ever given u anything, stop complaining U spend more then that on stuff u’ll enjoy for 5-10 minutes then u will ever do for this expansion breathing oxygen in this day and age costs more its 100x Cheaper then any other entertainment offer.

If Eating popcorn in the movie is Worthy ENOUGH to pay out £10 for it Im kitten sure even a Nice class for under £1 a Month is Worth it also.

The game needs money to survive, it isnt a “money grab” it is OBVIOUS as a Company its aim is to profit from what it sells so YES price tags happen it is life it is what happens, WoW players have prolly put thousands of Pounds/Dollars into the games Which others could go to WoD and get a free max level character Expansion and Game for £40

WoW promotes a game which each year the £40 u spent becomes utterly worthless and Useless, yet 0 complain on such a model

It seems Ur value of a Dollar/Pound/Euro is MUCH higher then the rest of the world, HoT is CHEAPER then WoD, with 0 Sub Model… and Being released as a Full Expansion instead of only half With MUCH Better versions of ALOT of what they have.

If they were yearly expansions at £40 i would prolly say Actually…. thats Kinda bad, its wrong, but it isnt a expansion after 3 years of ur inital investment is perfectly fine, the expansions bringing a whole new side to end level, Which is Challanging PvE content Guild Halls GvG and tools and a Systems to support More group/Guild orintated play. a New Class AND New specializations for every other class..

Most Games charge the same price for only HALF what they’re giving u, they could split just the new additions into 2 and have 2 expansions, its common to only get ONE new class without half those additions in expansions.

At the end of the day:

It is your choice what you invest in, Nobody can force you to or to not buy into the new expansions pre-order, it doesnt have a New level cap therefore u can still actively PvP etc etc without owning it, so yes u have the capability to Wait til the game comes out to see if it does go down in price, Or wait til the game goes into a sale to then purchase it at a cheaper price.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

if you just bought the game 4 days ago or whatever so what, you have months to play before it comes out

You don’t seem to understand why the people that did exactly this are upset today.

Posted by: Salonikios.3154

Salonikios.3154

I have given it really much thought and i concluded that the only way for Anet to “fix” its relation with veteran players of Guild Wars 2 is to simply adjust the price accordingly for the players stated.
Meaning: All veteran players who have been over the past 3-4 years(not mentioning gw1 players),supported actively the game with gem purchases and have the base game already should get a discount over the respected versions of the expansion.
Meaning 2:An account with digital deluxe edition of the base game should get the digital deluxe edition of the expansion or the ultimate at a discounted price.

Now,how much that discount should be….well that depends on Anet,lets see how much they value us veterans and if they still want us to stick around….

My point of view on how a debacle will be avoided.I dont express the majority nor i pose as a speaker of the people.This is my personal opinion,period.

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

Logged in this morning to see the pre-purchase announcement. Immediately grabbed my credit card, clicked on the link, Saw the price of $50 with no character expansion slot. I’ve since put my credit card away.

I did the same last night. The additional pay wall to play the new class you just paid to have access to was a major let down. Yeah, I could delete one of my other characters, but usually I expect to actually be able to use all the content I just paid for. It’s like hidden fees in a bill, and that’s why it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

Posted by: superveemon.6738

superveemon.6738

Then why is there no core game available for purchase to new players now?

Posted by: dank.3680

dank.3680

Well I already payed 60ish for the core game. Not spending that much again for an expansion, when you are now giving out the core game for free. Awesome way to show how much you valued my core game purchase.

Wont be getting the expansion until it is offered as an UPGRADE at a fair price.

#MAGSWAG: All class player. XOXO

Posted by: serenity.4712

serenity.4712

Read the main topic. The expansion price will not go under 50$. It’s a fact.

Posted by: Dakunaito.9602

Dakunaito.9602

you really think the expansion costs $50? hahahaha, you took the bait. ever heard of business tricks? guess not. no need to say more

Posted by: GeekDavid.2786

GeekDavid.2786

So sorry, ANet, not only will I not buy the “expansion” for $50, if the price doesn’t drop significantly by the time it comes out (and you guys have been stringing us along for months about this, so I’m not convinced it will be out before Christmas 2017), I won’t just refuse to buy it, I’ll simply uninstall the base game as well.

Making us loyal, long-time players (I’ve been at it for more than two years) pay close to or more than the same price for an expansion — Amazon has the digital download for $60, but you can get the CD version for a little more than $20 — is not only a slap in the face, it’s indicative of how you really view the players: as a cash cow.

GW2 is my game of choice largely because of your stated commitment to avoid griefing . However, with this pricing, you are the ones “griefing” us! Please explain to me why I should put up with that?

Posted by: Pandonation.7201

Pandonation.7201

Agreed. It’s saddening.

Posted by: Jinxitor.4268

Jinxitor.4268

I was actually really excited about HoT up until this price announcement. Like, a lot of people were extremely suspicious about this but I had good faith that ArenaNet would come through for us because they care about the playerbase and they’re constantly making changes in the game based on experience as professional developers and user feedback to improve it over time. I was happy to purchase GW2 shortly after launch at its full price because what I was buying was a hugely expansive product made up of the long time efforts of many people on the dev team, and I felt my investment was totally worth it. In fact, I still feel that the money I invested in this game was totally worth it; it’s by far my favorite MMORPG of all the dozens I’ve played.

I just don’t know if there’s enough content we’ve seen thus far in this expansion pack to have it available for almost as much as the original game was. I don’t feel as secure about investing money in it. And it kind of feels like a bit of a kick in the gut for the base game I’ve played and loved so long to be included as a “free bonus.” I’m not violently angry or anything; I completely understand that ArenaNet needs money to continue to host this game’s servers and develop new content for it. However, that was also how I justified the gem store, and while I’m happy to pay a few dollars to get cute outfits and bonus character slots and support the developers, I’m not so happy about paying the price of a full game for something that’s…not really enough content to be a full game. I actually feel a lot worse for the people who bought the game full price not long ago and then found out that if they’d just waited awhile they could have received the whole thing as a free bonus when they bought the expansion.

I think I would be a lot more willing to pay the full 50 dollars if we saw that this expansion was truly EXPANSIVE and added hundreds of hours worth of gameplay to the hundreds of hours we already had (which the current media released has not convinced me of), or at the very least, if there was SOME kind of loyalty incentive to previous players. Maybe receiving the stuff included in the upgraded edition of the base game and the ex. pack for free to those who already owned the base game, or repackaging the living story quests so they could be replayed like personal quests in instanced locations. Just some ideas.

If any employees are reading this, I’m sure you’re all completely overwhelmed by the huge amount of backlash this has gotten you from the playerbase. I realize my post here is pretty wordy, so I thank you for taking the time to look through it and consider what I have to say, and I also apologize for any over the top angry forum posts containing death threats and stuff you may have had to sift through. I hope you have a nice day.

Posted by: AAeriaM.7045

AAeriaM.7045

I’ve been playing almost daily since the game released. When I saw the pre-purchase icon today I got all giddy and was ready to buy. Then I saw the price and it immediately hurt my feelings. I just don’t see any conceivable way that I’ll get $50 worth of content with the expansion. Unless these new zones are nearly the size of the all the current zones combined, it doesn’t seem worth it to me.

Now I don’t even feel like doing my dailies anymore. I’m just disappointed and annoyed. Maybe it’s time I take a break from the game. It hurts saying that, but I just can’t justify playing anymore. Not after this.

Time to take a break from the game indeed. I’ve lost any desire I had to play the game now. I’ll keep up with the news but Anet definitely took a turn for the worse. Maybe I’ll hop back to Guild Wars 1 and hop on the nostalgia train.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Oh everyone realize that. Its just that Anet hasnt presented anything that make us think the expansion is worth $50. Most of what the expansion deliver will be… well, free. Because it comes in the patches. If you ignore PvE, it bring almost nothing.

Posted by: RabbitUp.8294

RabbitUp.8294

Actually, the expansion is FREE. You only pay 50 bucks for the glider models, everything else is completely free; a kind present from Anet to their whole community.

See how stupid this is? It’s a bundle, you can’t get the base game for free without pre-ordering HoT. Just because some marketing person slaps arbitrary price tags and “estimated values” on these products, the deal doesn’t change.

Posted by: One Prarie Outpost.4860

One Prarie Outpost.4860

3 year GW2 player – $50 for game, $50 on gems (minimum) and now at least $50 for an expansion (cough cough cough…)
New player – $50 for the whole thing… $80 if you want some extra goodies.

Hmmm… seems fair. Seems right. Seems… hey… where did the Vaseline go?