HoT Price Feedback + Base game included [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: generalraccoon.3857

generalraccoon.3857

I’m just adding my opinions to this, and likely so many others have stated similar views but I felt I should put my own points in anyhow.

I’ve been in the game since slightly after the first Halloween event and ever since then I kept telling people how GW2 raised the bar for mmorpgs. I told people how every other competitor out there seems pale in comparison.

In the 3 years or so I’ve played, taking breaks a few times though, I was always one who preferred that we get a full blown expansion rather than the trickle of more frequent but much micro new contents. So when the game that I hailed as raising the standards of the genre finally announced a proper expansion, I was quite ecstatic. I liked seeing what they had shown so far; Living story season 2 was quite nice so I also am looking forward to the continuation of that, Revenant seemed a very interesting new class and of course I’m so looking forward to making my necro a reaper.

I am intrigued in seeing the new trait systems, seems generally a nice thing, it’s different so it has pro and cons but there includes my first disappointment; the attributes. I hate that now attributes are all on gear, minus the overall boost every character gets (as it is very… Diablo 3 to me and that one killed the franchise for me after years of being a loyal fan). And then came the exotic- ascended stats gap issue, and things even less shiny now.

And then this.

The price, I will not argue, I don’t think I’m qualified to say for certain HoT’s monetary value anyhow. But I do have an issue with simply just getting the ‘base game’ as the primary thing in addition to the expansion itself in all the current pre purchase offers. It’s a good deal, mind you, VERY good deal -if i am a new player.. But since I said I’m not and I don’t have any intentions of having a “second account”, the offer feels lousy, almost a scam even.

I really don’t see why existing players can’t get new character slots instead (and please don’t give me this … ‘you will get 5 new character slots, in another account’- i don’t care about having another account) . If you can give new players the whole vanilla game FOR FREE apparently, why not character slots (or even some other form of useful compensation) to existing players who pre purchase? As it stands I changed my mind not to pre purchase as having another copy of the vanilla game is useless to me, so I will wait and see.

I’ll probably still get the expansion, eventually…maybe… but I will be cautious about it.

Posted by: Pug.9784

Pug.9784

Copy and pasted from the email anet sent me to say “buy this”

The Ultimate edition of the game includes all of the above in addition to 4,000 gems. The Ultimate edition will not be available as an upgrade and must be purchased as a full game package.

The wording makes me belive that the other options ARE available as an upgrade so where is the UPGRADE price not the expansion price…

They are talking about being able to upgrade from the standard edition of the x-pac to deluxe which can be done via gem store. However, players will not have to option to upgrade to the Ultimate edition.

https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/94582027-Heart-of-Thorns-Pre-Purchase-FAQ

If I purchase the Standard or Deluxe editions of Heart of Thorns will I be able to upgrade to Deluxe or Ultimate later?

You will be able to upgrade to Deluxe in the gem store, but the only way to receive the Ultimate edition is to buy it from buy.guildwars2.com or in-game.

My comments are still simply about the wording in the mail.
Ultimate is in the gem store… so you can upgrade from there, as implied by the “in-game” quote.
All three options have the core as a freebee so new players get two games and vets only get one, whichever way you look at it thats unfair.

Posted by: serenity.4712

serenity.4712

From a player who finally makes sense.

Hahahaha. NOPE.

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

No, unfortunately not. This would also leave a lot of accounts around without the expansion that would need to be bought again, leading to the same issue.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

You can’t, no.

/wrist

Posted by: Quiznos.4296

Quiznos.4296

It’s funny how people think the value of something stays the same, especially when a new version comes.

My volvo from the year 1998 does not COST as much as a new one from the year 2015. I wish that you guys were right, but sadly you are not. 60k$ for my pos volvo would really be nice to get

Ok so think of it this way. You buy a 2015 Volvo for $60k and keep your ’98. The dealer will NOT sell you a 2014 model unless you can prove ownership of a previous Volvo.
Some other guy goes to the dealer buys a 2015 Volvo for $60k and is given, for free, a ’98 Volvo, so he can match the pre-ownership requirements.

has the dealer treated you fairly?

Posted by: AWACS.6537

AWACS.6537

And this is why people are annoyed. They’re trying to lay it off as ‘free’ but then again, why don’t we get it then if it’s free? We don’t even get the option to simply upgrade the game at a cheaper price and they expect players to be content. The fact that they seriously want us to buy another character slot or get a more expensive version is irritating, and gem prices are certainly going to inflate.

No.

Posted by: Scoundrel.2139

Scoundrel.2139

It simply feels like most of what is in this expansion is stuff that should have already been here to begin with. So paying for what I kind of expected seems like stupidity. Maybe I shouldn’t have expected much from the core game maybe, I dunno.

Mastery system (update), Specializations (Update), Guild Hall (Update), Competetive Mode (update)

New profession and Enter Maguuma (New content)

Edit: on reflection it could just be all marketing. Give a lot less than expected, have a riot, say “we listened” and give a bit more, all so you don’t have to give as much as was originally wanted/expected. /cynic

Veni, Vidi, Victa.
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit, Altum Videtur

(edited by Scoundrel.2139)

Posted by: little ceasar.9254

little ceasar.9254

GW1:
Prophecies $50

Factions $50 / 2 new classes / +2 slots if linked to existing

Nightfall $50 / 2 new classes / +2 slots if linked to existing

Gw:EN $40 / 0 new classes / +0 slots
– 4 new regions
– 18 dungeons
– 41 new armor sets, including rare, stand-alone pieces

All but GW:EN are stand alone campaigns.

Gw2 $60

HoT $50 / 1 class / +0 slots
– Regina “included the core game as a free bonus to make it easier for new players to get into it.”

Ashr [AGG]RESSION
CD→SoS→BG→ET→DB→JQ→SoS→
Mag→JQ→SoS→JQ→TC→FA→DB→FA→Mag→TC→KN

(edited by little ceasar.9254)

Posted by: ZhaitanForMayor.9810

ZhaitanForMayor.9810

This thread is already overdone, but I figured I’d add my 2 cents. Someone may have already said this, but I’m not reading 3K posts. Hopefully Anet gets the message.

I think the $50 version should be $40, include a character slot expansion, and NOT include the base game. The $75 and $100 could stay the same.

This way, a veteran player can get a slot for their revenant and HoT at a decent price.

A new player can get the base game, the expansion, and some extra goodies which I doubt anyone cares about for a decent price.

The gem “discount” would be the same.

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

To clarify: $50 is the price of the expansion. We included the core game as a free bonus to make it easier for new players to get into it.

If this is true, why is the core game only no longer an option on the buy page?

Posted by: serasdelight.3520

serasdelight.3520

I am sorely disappointed in Anet at this time. My husband and I have played GW1 for six years together. We waited forever for GW2 to be released. We weren’t disappointed with GW2. We loved it so much that we bought a third account for our son to play with us. Playing guild wars has become a bonding family experience for us.
This situation with the the HoT expansion has left us a little stunned and angry. Anet has now made it where we can’t afford to even get the expansion. I will not waist 50.00 on an expansion with a new core game when we can’t even use that core game. It automatically will link to the accounts we already have. I know people are complaining about the prices….a lot. With GW1 we HAD to pay for all the different games i.e. factions, prophecies, nightfall because there was no “core” game. EoTN WAS an expansion however….and that only cost 40.00. For all the money we have spent on these three GW2 accounts (not to mention all the money we spent on GW1 as well i.e. extra character slots and such) and gems purchased between my husband and myself, I just feel…..used. I know people will tell me…..“If you don’t like the 50.00 price package PAY MORE for MORE STUFF” Well, I say no thank you. Sure I can get 4000 gems if I throw away 100.00 on the expansion. But that’s not how it works. As a family unit we buy gems when our financials allow us too. We buy games/expansions when financials allow us. So, no I will not pay more when all I want is just the expansion. I don’t care about a new title, a mini or the gems. I really feel like the vets of this game are getting the short end of the stick. Why should new players get it for free and us vets are being made to pay more?

(edited by serasdelight.3520)

Posted by: Dakunaito.9602

Dakunaito.9602

Oh everyone realize that. Its just that Anet hasnt presented anything that make us think the expansion is worth $50. Most of what the expansion deliver will be… well, free. Because it comes in the patches. If you ignore PvE, it bring almost nothing.

the expansion isn’t worth $50. it’s just basic business trick. $49.99(Hot+supposedly free core game) – $39.99(core games price yesterday) = $10. this is the actual price of HoT. i already have the core game. why would i want it again? since i have the core game, souldn’t there be option to buy the expansion separately? yes it should

Posted by: Altapir.2571

Altapir.2571

That, or give us 2 redeem codes, one for GW2vanilla, one for HoT (since we are paying for both), so we can update the account we already have and send the “free core game” to a friend…

…for the love of Crom, it was a simple and obvious move: free character slot + some perk for veterans, free core game for new players…

Posted by: Weylin.6478

Weylin.6478

If you buy GW2 now, it comes with HoT.
If you already have the game, you are losing out if you just go with an upgrade.
If you get it as a separate account, you get 4 character slots + HoT.
If you get it as an upgrade, you get HoT, nothing else.

Just a week ago, GW2 was $40.

Everyone who just purchased GW2 for $40 will now have to buy it AGAIN for $50.
Anyone who’s just now showing up will have to pay the $50 for GW+HoT, that’s fine.

So veterans and intermediates alike got massively ripped off as they are having to pay the equivalent of $90 to get the full package.

This is punishing early adopters and recent buyers of the game, a friend of mine has been trying to get money set aside for weeks to buy GW2 and he finally gets it, and then this happens… If he had known, he would have just waited a few weeks and paid the extra $10 for all of the content.

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

I think the big issue at hand is that simply put, the content in HoT to our knowledge thus far isn’t worth the $50.00.

We barely know anything about it, the content volume is substantially smaller than the base game as a fact, and a lot of the features coming near/with HoT that people really wanted are coming to the base game, anyways.

I think people are starting to realize HoT was way over-hyped, and because of that hype, has become overpriced.

Why not just sell the complete game for $60.00 like at launch, since after all the content is new, but offer an upgrade for say, $30.00, since the base game as of yesterday according to ANet was worth $40.00 (and can depricate again), and we know the content in HoT is just an “expansion” of much smaller scale than the base game with some QoL improvements?

Look at those expansions – the details – and compare those to what’s being released in HoT (fun fact, specializations, WvW maps, etc. – that’s all in the base game – not in HoT). See something different? The other game is getting more; or at least as of the ability to pre-purchase knows that they’ll be getting more and knows specifically what they’re getting.

We’re still largely in the dark, here, yet are being told to shell out nearly the same amount as the base game at launch – an industry standard price point for new, top-quality, full-on AAA games – if not more money for an extra character slot to enjoy some of the featured new content without deleting our old progress.

It’s simply a bad gesture from ANet and only indicates more bad things to come. People are up in arms because they’re passionate about the game and its success, not watching a foundation of good memories (and their wallets) get used and abused.

Posted by: mohrad.8972

mohrad.8972

And here people thought the Expansion would be ~30$ ’ish.

“In your face”, NCSoft 2k15.

Posted by: ShelBlackblood.7826

ShelBlackblood.7826

It’s getting late over here, so that’s enough reading for today I guess.
Let’s hope there will be at least “some” kind of reaction from anet by tomorrow.

Oh and sorry btw. if my last post was too sarcastic (I just read in my inbox it was deleted and I got a warning). I’ve recently started to do some cabaret on my blog, my disappointment in this pre-purchase announcement was just to huge to not write it with some comedy in my critism. Sorry again, please don’t delete my account or sth!

Good Night to everyone going to sleep as well~

Posted by: Skolia.2408

Skolia.2408

Before you just assume that I’m just another player feeling “entitled”, hear me out.

I understand ArenaNet wants to make money. I do not have any problem with that.

I don’t have a problem spending money for content and things in games.
I bought all of the stuff for Guild Wars 1.
I’ve spent probably $200 on Guild Wars 2 over the past few years on various things.

My big problem is Heart of Thorns is being priced like it’s own stand alone game.

If it was, that would be fine.

If it has the same (or more) amount of story content as the original release of Guild Wars 2, that would be fine.

But, so far, depressingly little has been mentioned about story content. So far, it’s been housing (not interested in that), some new profession stuff (that’s somewhat cool), etc.

Typically, non stand-alone expansions for games usually retail for $20-30, not $50-100. In fact, Guild Wars 1 campaign expansions retailed for $29 and that was just fine!

I think that ArenaNet needs to have an “I already own Guild Wars 2” package.

At this time, I probably won’t pick up HoT unless I discover it has as much story content as GW2 did originally. Not at this price point.

(edited by Skolia.2408)

Posted by: ReaverKane.7598

ReaverKane.7598

Most of people isn’t whining about the content, Morfedel. Most of people -specially vets- are whining the WRONG decission that Anet took with the Basic Edition. Vets want to buy HoT without the ‘core’, which would mean $10 less. Or, at least, to get something for justifying this overcost -like a character slot, for example.

No, there ARE people whining about things like “this doesnt have enough content to blah blah blah.”

I didn’t say there was a majority of them doing so, but they are.

As it stands, though, really, $40-$60 is the standard price point for an expansion anyway for the vast majority of other mmorpgs; granted they usually included a new character slot and didn’t include the core game, but really, the price itself is not really out of bounds considering the price of other expansions.

Most people compare the expansion price to other games. But what about level of content?
Naming something an expansion doesn’t automatically give it the same depth of content as other games.
WoW expansions cost that much but usually bring about a TON of content, including new raids, new gear, and new levels. So much so that many times it feels like a new game altogether. We’re getting some revamped systems (stuff that they probably should have launched/fixed outside a expansion anyhow to prevent stagnation), a new class, and so far we know of 1 PVE map. And Guild Halls.
Given what we know so far the expansion has less content than what was released with Living World…
So yes, i don’t think its worth 45€.
Plus there’s also examples of other games with expansions for less than that, with comparatively more content.

Ok, we don’t know how much content is going to be there. This is actually a mistake on ANET’s fault, we should have a better idea of the total content.

But that being said, you can’t say it has less content than living story, or other mmo expansions for that matter, because you dont KNOW. Neither do I for that matter. You may be right, and then the entire GW2 community will be inflamed; but at this point, we don’t have the information to make such claims either way.

Which is why i said “Given what we know so far”. As in from current information the expansion has less content than the Living world Releases combined.

Posted by: Taiyoroku.1028

Taiyoroku.1028

Can someone tell me whats the meaning of thie “(edited about 4 hours ago by Moderator)”

Posted by: pachex.9723

pachex.9723

The issue isn’t the price for me. The issue is the trust. I was honestly expecting to pay $50 for the expansion, and it is no surprise to me that ended up being the price. But the bundling the core game into the xpac for ‘new players’ (lets be honest, really this is a slap in the face for all existing players, because it is now better for you from a monetary perspective to purchase a new account rather than upgrade your old), the FAQ editing, the 3 REALLY TERRIBLE bundle options (Ultimate edition is a win/win for Anet, Delux edition is a bad deal for your money, and Regular edition is a giant screw you to existing players)…

These things and a string of previous experiences point to a company that has forgotten the value of loyal players. If they want to continue incentivizing new players over old that is their prerogative, but they should understand the ramifications. I personally have 6 inactive friends who WOULD have purchased Heart of Thorns if not for this slap in the face. Now they will not. As for me personally, I will likely wait for a 50% off sale, whereas I would have paid the full $50 if they hadn’t destroyed my trust.

Posted by: Ravion Hawk.4736

Ravion Hawk.4736

To clarify: $50 is the price of the expansion. We included the core game as a free bonus to make it easier for new players to get into it.

No you did not include the core game for free…

You added $10.00 to the price of the core game and added the expansion.

Had you added a character slot or two for those of us with existing accounts in place of the core game (since we already have the core game) you might not be getting such a backlash as you are now.

We the players come from very different backgrounds and a good chunk of us are well educated and those of us with degrees have sat in marketing classes.

Not all of us can be taken for fools so easily.

Head of the Order of the Iron Ravens [OoIR]
Lady Alexis Hawk – Main – Necromancer
Ravion Hawk – Warrior

Posted by: Xeno Mezphy.3145

Xeno Mezphy.3145

Can someone tell me whats the meaning of thie “(edited about 4 hours ago by Moderator)”

It usually means someone reported you, but the mod decided they were being overzealous, assuming nothing was changed in your post. If they changed something, that’s what that means.

Posted by: Paralux.6714

Paralux.6714

I would love if people got together and boycotted HoT until any price drop comes, but I’m pessimistic about that it’ll work with all these super-nerdy gamers who have probably already pre-purchased it. Boycotting is a political action, and to be political you’d have to be quite disciplined ( and I wouldn’t expect that from addictive gamers. )

It’s not the price itself I find disturbing ( but yea, it’s a little too high for something we know almost nothing about. ) I also feel like it’s a bit hypocritical of ANET to change information in the FAQ also after they’ve had sales on the core game. But that’s just how capitalism works!

They don’t feel any greatfulness to people that have been playing GW for long. Do some of your guys expect them too? They don’t care if they loose one veteran player if two new comes along. The more money they make the happier they get.

Obs, actually wrote this as a reply to the “Boycott HoT” thread, but ironically it’s been locked.

m e s m e r <3

Posted by: ilMasa.2546

ilMasa.2546

Just to point out a thing:

In Gw2 you have 8 playable professions but only 5 basic character slot.

Since u cannot actually create characters on multiple server,because u are ALLOWED to select ONLY ONE SERVER x account,at some point you will have to think about it,if u wanna play or atleast try all the professions:

1)Do i buy the 3 additional class slots to have space for all the professions?
2)Shuld i choose only the 5 i enjoy the most?!

1a)Do i spend real money in the shops?
1b)Do i farm like a crazy to convert gold into gems?!(with that atrocius conversion rate)

So at the end,in a way or in an other, we ALL have aready spend money or time for additional characters slots,for the core.

As a veteran with over 3k hours of gameplay i would like to get atleast a free character slot,since im supposed to pay 50$ + 10$ (extra slot) for an expansion that,at the end,doesn add that much to GW2…

just my 2c

(edited by ilMasa.2546)

Posted by: Xeno Mezphy.3145

Xeno Mezphy.3145

Excellent work Anet. You’ve alienated your userbase. Classy move. I will be holding on to my money until you realize the terrible decision you’ve made and fix it. If you do not, I will be holding on to my money and playing something else. If you’re cool with not having my money, stay the course. I refuse to pay for something I already own, even if it’s branded as “get the thing you already own for free!”

If this expansion isn’t at least as large in scope as the base game you are knowingly and willingly screwing your customers, unless you believe the base game has a higher value than you assigned it, in which case you are terrible at economics and I can see why you’d make this sort of pricing decision. Regardless, the fault lies with you. Don’t take it out on those who have already invested in you.

(edited by Xeno Mezphy.3145)

Posted by: Pixelninja.6971

Pixelninja.6971

NCsoft / Anet got to greedy.
Just give the Standard Edition1 Character-slot and the Deluxe and Ultimate 2 Slots, problem solved.

(edited by Pixelninja.6971)

Posted by: Me Games Ma.8426

Me Games Ma.8426

I’ll get a lot of hate for that now:

I don’t think you all are getting what arenanet does. To me it sounds like this: “Buy HoT and get a copy of Guild Wars 2 for free.”
The Expansion would have costed 50$ anyways but they’re giving new players the base game for free in addition to the expansion.
The only thing I understand being angry about is that one cannot split the two. If you buy the expansion now you cannot add it to your account and open another account for free.

Obviously they shouldn’t have made the offer of giving away the base game for free

Mindblossom – Sylvari – Mesmer – Jumpingpuzzler
Equinox [EqnX]
Riverside[DE]

Posted by: Drayos.8759

Drayos.8759

see i dont see that as a issue myself, because we havnt actually seen all of the new expansion, just highlights of the different things coming into the game overall, we havnt been shown anything which would actually say exactly how much content ur buying into.

Once those who have insta-purchased go into Betas i think u’ll see a Proper sight of what your really getting, so i feel that content level isnt shown enough to know what your getting into, and yes paying into something that u dont know is a risk.

but WoW among many others do the exact same thing with even less information on what you pay for, as far as i understand those in the inital game were in the exact same placement

but when it comes to really battleing weather the expansion is overpriced for the Length and entertainment of what is. in GW2 as it has no sub model u have no additional charges, which ofcourse will make the expansions more expensive, its their one ensured profit… they have nothing else which would force players to pay into the game… so u have to see that side of it.

over Three years.

WoW – £9.99 a month + £40 a Year… 120+120 = £240x3 for 3 years.

Wildstar £40 (no Expansions were released) + £9 = 108 + 40 = £148x3.

Now to run into F2P games

EQ2 – Paying for classes = £20 each, (2 classes atm) Races = £10 fdor vampire and £20-£40 for Drakken so £40 minimum so far.. Mercs require Payment of £10, Reforging = £10 now £60

Sub isnt required but u lose out on a few things not having it… so to Benefit 100% of what they can offer due to locks on exp weekends etc etc u’d have to pay. + £34 per expansion..

Thats coming to like £100 to access everything + £9

i mean Guild wars 2 by far is the cheapest investment of MMOs… and In comparison to other forms of entertainment on the majority MMOs as a whole are cheaper, so i feel like u cant really accuse GW2 for ripping people off, they are charging u alot less.. for the exact same amount of stuff any other MMO generally delievers in expansions in todays prices.

Posted by: synfullydevine.3642

synfullydevine.3642

In a post titled TANSTAAFL which will likely be merged:

“To clarify: $50 is the price of the expansion. We included the core game as a free bonus to make it easier for new players to get into it.” -Regina Buenaobra
Content Marketing Team Lead

No. Nothing is free. This isn’t the 1950’s. We all know buy one get one free, is really pay double for one, and the illusion of the second free.

Your customer’s aren’t stupid. If the new player’s aren’t paying for it, then the veterans are.

If its truly free then make the core game free to download now. Or more realistically give vets a second account key with purchase of HoT to do with as they please.

So many kudos for the Larry Niven reference. Mods, please leave the all-caps title alone, it’s a classic acronym that needs to be in caps.

Though I think TANJ might be more along the lines of the general thrust of your post

The thing is, I think they just phrased it poorly. The price is what it is (and is ten to twenty dollars pricier than I expected) and they decided to bundle in the core game for those who need it. TANSTAAFL applies to the fact that we have to pay for the expansion, not to the inclusion of the core game — likely coding was easier this way than to do split up package variations.

I’m sure they have a marketing team that has has batted around once or twice. It’s clear they wanted it this way. It’s fine by me . More new players the better but selling a new class without a free character slot. This has never been done in any gw campaign, xpac. I just want the free slot and even though 50 is still too high I’ll be happy with that

Posted by: Huggyos.9584

Huggyos.9584

Are you kidding me? 45€ for an expansion and new bugs? No way! I can buy a totally new standalone game for that much money, not some new feature that you should have to include in core game before! In this poor country there is nobody has spare money to pay for a greedy company and for a very overpriced and buggy game! Anet was unable to get rid of general disconnecting, latency and skill bugs since gw2 release, just polished the new expansion to ask more money… its a shame!
It is a correct price for the new players that they can buy both (core+exp) for 1 full price, but the problem is that they are forcing veteran players to buy the game again in full price! *cough *cough… I mean the “expansion”…
If the game will be unplayable without the expansion or most ppl will leave the core game, I’m “kitten” gonna quit….
All of the world’s money won’t be enough for you, altough you get money not just from the game sellings, but from ingame microtransactions!
Maybe Ncsoft and Anet gonna make a similar huge mistake as Blizzard did with the Diablo 3… after 2 legendary Diablo episode that I “kitten” loved it…

We will Desolate!

(edited by Huggyos.9584)

Posted by: lukejoe.1592

lukejoe.1592

This is a very generous bonus, and I bet new players will really appreciate it. As an existing player, I have no problem with the cost of the expansion. But as a consumer I expect to receive the same value for my money as any other customer buying the same product. So what bonus will I receive, as I won’t get the free included game?

Excellently phrased.

Posted by: lariet.2015

lariet.2015

I would have to agree with that. for those of us that already have the core game there should be an option to only purchase the expansion with the added goodies. granted it would be a little more work to separate and price the packages but would probably be worth it in the long run. either way I will probably buy it.

Posted by: Lagg.3960

Lagg.3960

Ultimate edition is priced exactly right at 100.

50 bucks for the expansion, character slot and some goodies.
50 bucks worth of gems.

Take it or leave it, Anet wants you to pay 100 to play their MMO, while you grab some stuff from the gemstore (or cash in for some gold).

Stop comparing GW1 to GW2 prices. GW1 was not a true MMO.

That said, their PR department is lacking and the Standard and Deluxe editions are both overpriced. Perhaps on purpose to lead you towards the Ultimate, but it’s still a sleazy move.

Hey, I just bash you, and this is frenzy,
But here’s my Wammo, so heal me maybe?

(edited by Lagg.3960)

Posted by: Tregarde.6031

Tregarde.6031

Let’s break it down, assuming typical numbers…

WoW, EQ2, etc:
$15 per month for a year = $180
$40 for an expansion
TOTAL – $220 a year (assuming 1 expansion per year)

GW2:
$60 for game at release
No monthly subscription
$50 for 1st expansion in 3 years
TOTAL = $110 over 3 years, or average $36.67 per year

So, over 3 years, the typical player would have spent $660 in WoW, EQ2 or any typical subscription game. But only $110 in GW2. Does not seem like a bad deal to me. The only criticism I have is that, with a new Profession coming out, I feel all editions should include the free character slot.

(edited by Tregarde.6031)

Posted by: Zalavaaris.5329

Zalavaaris.5329

I think of it as more of a one time payment of $50 that pays for unlimited game time and everything else is just a “freebie”.

Posted by: papry.8096

papry.8096

WoW, EQ2, etc:
$40 for an expansion

GW2:
$60 for game at release
No monthly subscription

Does not seem like a bad deal to me. The only criticism I have is that, with a new Profession coming out, I feel all editions should include the free character slot.

Cashshop…..cough cough…

Posted by: ilMasa.2546

ilMasa.2546

just found this on the tube enjoy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC9LC6JLS_I

Posted by: lukejoe.1592

lukejoe.1592

The Expansion would have costed 50$ anyways but they’re giving new players the base game for free in addition to the expansion.

You’re letting their marketing message work against you and buying into it like it’s a natural law. It’s not like $50 is an intrinsic value attached to the expansion. Their price decision was made in the context of offering the core game free to new players, and it was compared to the alternative of offering a lower price to existing players. YES, I promise you, as an MBA, they raised the price of the expansion when they decided to bundle the two together.

Posted by: AWACS.6537

AWACS.6537

If you just bought the game 4 days ago or whatever so what, you have months to play before it comes out, go have fun with this game instead of complaining.

From a player who finally makes sense.

The only thing I read was ‘Dun complaien pley gaem buy xpac it coem soon’

And then I read ‘From a player who finally makes sense.’
Is this some kind of joke?

No.

Posted by: Khados.8147

Khados.8147

How is there not an additional character slot included in the Standard version? That’s the only thing I don’t get…veterans having to buy another character slot in order to play the new class.

I’m fine with the price point of $50, but why not just give new players the base game for free and vets a character slot…win/win. This is just boggling.

Posted by: Nightshade.2570

Nightshade.2570

Actually if you just bought the game four days ago, from what I have seen you should contact support. If you paid full price through this website there is a good chance they will work with you to upgrade you to HOT.

Posted by: TheToxicFox.8710

TheToxicFox.8710

NOPE, Not buying if people with the game don’t get a discounted price on the expansion! #GREEDMUCH!? #DevsMakingBadCalls #Ubisoft #EA

(edited by TheToxicFox.8710)

Posted by: Meridian.4983

Meridian.4983

There isn’t much left unsaid on any side of these arguments, but I haven’t seen it mentioned that the pre-purchase includes beta access. Do we know when that starts yet?

Yes, I’m a bit outraged at the price, bundling, and extra cost of a character slot. I’m in the same boat as everyone that’s played since GW1 launch. But this is pre-purchase, not launch. If you want the extras – title, finisher, etc. then this is probably the only chance. For those. There will be more titles, more minis, more…all of it. There just won’t be another beta access. And I’m fine with missing that for this price.

Come time for HoT launch, the price will drop, and hopefully be sold on it’s own. The expansion itself should be no more than $40, just by the look of the guild halls and their roles in the world. But this MUST include a character slot.

The way this is going though, it looks like ANet is going to lose more people than it gains through sales. The least that could be done for people with a free copy of a game we already own, is exchanging the core part for 1-2 slots and a Survivor title, everyone not buying HoT, even at launch, can be on the future Pact Memorial at the jungle crash site. ;p

[NA] | BP
Zombie | God | For the Pass!

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

Here is a solution to all argument.Want it, have money for it, Buy it. Want it, no money for it, save up money. Don’t want it, don’t buy it. It is that simple. All the arguments and rioting are getting ridiculous.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Posted by: echo.2053

echo.2053

~snip~

so your happy with re-buying the game you already have to play the expansion rather than pay for just the expansion and have it added to the game you have? that seems….off

$50 for an expansion is ridiculous especially when its not a full game like gw1 expansions were. I’ll let the twitch streamers take the hit for final decision, spend the money on FF7 remake, mgs, fallout 4, etc.

Its going to be pretty amusing a month or two after hot drop when people get burnt out mind grinding 24/7 and anet will respond " Are you not satisfied for rebuying the core game?"

Bender the offender – Proud violator of 17 safe spaces –

Posted by: olTThreelo.6710

olTThreelo.6710

If you think $50 for an expansion is fair, get ready to be hosed in the coming years when you go to buy those new, whole, base games.

Posted by: Tregarde.6031

Tregarde.6031

WoW, EQ2, etc:
$40 for an expansion

GW2:
$60 for game at release
No monthly subscription

So, over 3 years, the typical player would have spent $660 in WoW, EQ2 or any typical subscription game. But only $110 in GW2. Does not seem like a bad deal to me. The only criticism I have is that, with a new Profession coming out, I feel all editions should include the free character slot.

Cashshop…..cough cough…

Cash shop is completely optional. No one has to use it. There is nothing game-changing in the Gem Shop. Any money you, I, or anyone else used to buy gems was by choice, not a requirement.

Posted by: Trinnitty.8256

Trinnitty.8256

Anet must be in dire need of cash infusion to stay afloat at these prices. Its too steep of a price. Can anet guaranty that we will get nearly equal amount of content that bought when the game launched since the price is only $10 less? Stuff like guild halls and gvg should have been included at launch. I can almost imagine the amount of bugs/glitches we the players are going to have to put up with when HoT launches, like every major update time and time again.