HoT Price Feedback + Base game included [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Hume.2876

Hume.2876

Guys.. This was a strategic error. You should have lowered the game price to $10 (which you have done in the past) and then charged $40 for the expansion or $50 dollar bundle for new players.

Personally I don’t think price is a big deal – and I want GW2 to succeed so I am getting it. But your marketing department screwed up..

Posted by: Tristan.5678

Tristan.5678

This no other words are needed

Attachments:

Posted by: Scoundrel.2139

Scoundrel.2139

[[ Edited to remove references to infracted post. ~Moderator ]]

Heart of Thorns, if it is to be paid, I would have thought it would be a separate story. If I get a B2P game with story, and that story is half finished and I need to pay to get the rest, it’s a bit of a let down.

Like buying the LOTR trilogy, but after The Two Towers you find you need to to pay $50 to get the final installment. :P

Veni, Vidi, Victa.
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit, Altum Videtur

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Tracker.6483

Tracker.6483

Been gone over a year and came here to see what’s up with this expansion e-mail I just received.

Doesn’t seem like much for the price, but it’s hard to say without knowing more. I was hoping you guys knew more, but I see it’s a high priced mystery to everyone.

Posted by: DistantStatic.6098

DistantStatic.6098

To clarify: $50 is the price of the expansion. We included the core game as a free bonus to make it easier for new players to get into it.

Your people told new players to buy it on sale for $10 just a while ago on the HoT FAQ. Now you’re milking them some more? You said the base game would be required to play the expansion. What type of trickery is this?

lvl80 Guardian lvl80 Ranger lvl80 Elementalist lvl80 Thief …. Why do I list these anymore?
Toyota Car Dealers [TCD]

Posted by: Goraz.3754

Goraz.3754

79.99 USD equals over $100 Aus …for for an expansion.!
Just wow. That’s insane.

(I know I could of referenced the $49.99 version but what good is the expansion without a character slot. Myself and many others already have one of each profession)

The complete game at launch cost less than that with 5 Character slots.

I was super keen for this and willing to pre-order but will now give it a miss until it’s on sale.
>very disappointed<

(edited by Goraz.3754)

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

Gaile could you please comment on the change made to the FAQ literally within hours of the pre-order going live? It’s being seen by lots of players (especially in light of the several sales on core game accounts the last few months) as an unethical cash grab that borders on a bait-and-switch.

It looks to the veteran players like either somebody screwed up and tried to cover their tracks or else Arenanet is engaged in some incredibly dishonest business practices. You can understand why the player base isn’t very likely to trust any information or statements coming from Arenanet or their representatives, right? In either case the community at large is owed an apology

It looks like someone in the company changed their mind to me, no need for a big conspiracy theory. For most of us the whole “core game included” issue is irrelevant. I have got over two years of enjoyment from this game and the fact that this has been bundled in with a later deal I am fine with.

The people who do have a right to complain are those who have bought the game since that FAQ came out. They may even have a legal right to compensation.

Posted by: Jehuty.1938

Jehuty.1938

To clarify: $50 is the price of the expansion. We included the core game as a free bonus to make it easier for new players to get into it.

Your people told new players to buy it on sale for $10 just a while ago on the HoT FAQ. Now you’re milking them some more? You said the base game would be required to play the expansion. What type of trickery is this?

Glad I got the game long time ago. I’d be so kittened if I had bought it for 10 bucks a few days ago.
50USD is still a lot for what we’ve seen in HoT. I think the main issue is the lack of informations about HoT we have so far. So for me, I’ll just wait to see if it is worth the price.

Posted by: PorceleinEve.2973

PorceleinEve.2973

And your reply to an unrelated post is…. On topic?
be nice to Gaile; she’s as much a vet as any of us GW1 folks; I’m sure she’s got plenty of posts she’d love to reply to, but in her wisdom and experience knows that making a significant reply as a “red shirt” is highly inadvisable without all the facts.

In an ideal world, what would you have her say?

Personally best case scenario: “We remembered we promised a pay once play forever game, and that we wouldn’t pay gate content… So… Free HoT for everyone!!!”

Unlikely, but a boy can dream

I am nice. But i digress.

In an ideal world i would have her say the position of the company. The original post that “we reading and watching” and “you’re feelings are being known to the powers that be” was more than enough. And not crack out silly banter about telepathy. This is hardly the place for it.

And if you can’t figure out what i’m saying… this is a serious issue for many players and potential customers. Cracking jokes around doesn’t exactly project the feeling that they’re taking us seriously. It feels more like they’re laughing at the sweet tears behind their screens.

Posted by: Lord Moose.8234

Lord Moose.8234

Honestly, I love the GW universe and all that Anet has done. I really do. I feel I express my support far more than enough through the microtransactions within the game. But to set the requirement that veterans (and even more dedicated consumers) should drop $50 for an expansion that, as far as I can tell, doesn’t even amount to 25% of the content available in the base game is a real show of disrespect for that community. As a matter of principle, I find it very hard to purchase HoT at this point. I would love to have it, but I have to take a stand here. Some game studios/publishers have really abused their fan-base in recent years and I fear Anet has joined their ranks.

Celenara
80 Warrior
Blackgate

Posted by: Valikraz.7293

Valikraz.7293

Good job. I’m so glad you guys aren’t including a character slot with the standard version and that you’re charging your player base $75 for HoT with a character slot. Or they could get standard for $50 then toss another $10 at the Gem Store for a character slot. Hey, either way you net at least $60 per player unless they’ve managed to NOT use all their initial character slots over, what, 2-3 years? It appears that having never played the game in the first place is the better option though because for the amazing price of $50 you guys are just going to toss in GW2 as a “free bonus”!

I hope folks wait for this to go on sale. There’s no way I’m dumping $120 on this for my wife and myself.

Posted by: Quiznos.4296

Quiznos.4296

I have to agree with that sentiment myself. The concept of “expansion” has always bothered me when it comes to guild wars 2. Separate campaigns sure, but expansions, not for me.
Unfortunately, the players spoke, it was a more or less resounding “We want a paid expansion!” And that is what Arenanet is going to (attempt to) deliver.
I have accepted this for a while now. Who am I to say a majority of player base is wrong? I was prepared to shell out ultimate.
then I saw gw base now valued at $0 and I started to think. And my heart turned black and cold. I became angry, upset, and confused.
This isn’t the first two LOTR, and missing the third. This is much more akin to giving us a half of the first book of the trilogy. Six dragons later, I’m out $300 just on the original story?!

Posted by: Raven.3957

Raven.3957

The real issue here, in my opinion, is something Anet cannot fix.

They should have never offered the base game for free.

If they would have put it on sale, but sold it seperatly, there would be FAR less people complaining about all of this. Sure some people would complain about the 50$, but if it was 40$ people would complain about that too lol

In the end, they cant go back on their word now. The base game is free with the expansion. The only thing they can do now to fix this is somehow compensate their loyal veteran playerbase. The easiest way I’ve seen discussed, and agreed upon is that you get a choice with ALL of the package deals.

Base Guildwars2 Game OR 800 gems. With the standard, deluxe, and ultimate packages.

If your new, and dont have the base game, you get the base game and the expansion for 50$
If your a veteran, and you already have an open characterslot waiting for the expansion, you get 800 gems to play with as you please.
If your a veteran and do NOT have an open character slot, you can use the 800 gems to buy one, effectively turning your 800 gems into a free character slot.

Gems do not cost arenanet anything, so they have no additional overhead.
Arenanet will not have to go back on their promises or words
Everyone should be perfectly happy with that solution, as it benifits everyone no matter what situation you are in, or what package deal you bought.

The only people who are left to complain if they did that, would be the people who are complaining about the price in general. 50$ might be a bit, but its not unreasonable, its just expensive. I dont mind paying 50$ as long as im never going to be charged a monthly fee.

If you want this idea to succeed, if this will really make you all content, then talk about that. The more you talk about how happy you will be with it, the more they will notice and the more likely it will become a reality! Everyone complaining and threatening to jump ship dosent fix it, it only makes anet rush into other bad decisions to not sink.

Quote me, link this post in other similar topics, or just reply below that you agree! We can still all be 100% happy with everything and have another amazing experience with another amazing game!

Posted by: EttinTracker.6504

EttinTracker.6504

$50 is a more than reasonable price for an expansion for a free game with no subscription fee. Most of us with brain stems were expecting something in the ball park of $40 anyway.

$50 being reasonable is very much dependent on the content it adds, which is something they are not sharing for some reason. As for the game having no subscription, there is the gemstore in place of that. Gemstore income is what funds non-expansion pack content updates, so whatever is in this paid release of HoT needs to hold up to the price they are asking. Of course, what amount of content is worth $50 varies from person to person, but the info we’ve been given so far has left a lot of doubt for many of us.

I’d say most would agree that asking $50 for something that seems likely to be much smaller than the size of the core game (which was only $10 higher at release) is not reasonable. If it turns out to be much more equal in terms of content, fine. But the lack of info/hype about it does not leave me with much faith in that happening.

I was expecting a $40 price myself. But I was expecting at least 1 char slot with that. And certainly was not expecting a so called “free” core game copy (that I can’t use) to be “included”.

I pretty much agree, $40 would have been better but $50 would be okay if it included a character slot.

I would be in favor of existing users getting one bonus character slot compared to new users. New users have plenty of empty slots and the extra slot has about the same value as the discounted core game.

Edit: Raven.3957’s suggestion of getting 800 gems would have the same outcome with more choice.

(edited by EttinTracker.6504)

Posted by: Zoul.1087

Zoul.1087

see i dont see that as a issue myself, because we havnt actually seen all of the new expansion, just highlights of the different things coming into the game overall, we havnt been shown anything which would actually say exactly how much content ur buying into.

Once those who have insta-purchased go into Betas i think u’ll see a Proper sight of what your really getting, so i feel that content level isnt shown enough to know what your getting into, and yes paying into something that u dont know is a risk.

but WoW among many others do the exact same thing with even less information on what you pay for, as far as i understand those in the inital game were in the exact same placement

but when it comes to really battleing weather the expansion is overpriced for the Length and entertainment of what is. in GW2 as it has no sub model u have no additional charges, which ofcourse will make the expansions more expensive, its their one ensured profit… they have nothing else which would force players to pay into the game… so u have to see that side of it.

over Three years.

WoW – £9.99 a month + £40 a Year… 120+120 = £240x3 for 3 years.

Wildstar £40 (no Expansions were released) + £9 = 108 + 40 = £148x3.

Now to run into F2P games

EQ2 – Paying for classes = £20 each, (2 classes atm) Races = £10 fdor vampire and £20-£40 for Drakken so £40 minimum so far.. Mercs require Payment of £10, Reforging = £10 now £60

Sub isnt required but u lose out on a few things not having it… so to Benefit 100% of what they can offer due to locks on exp weekends etc etc u’d have to pay. + £34 per expansion..

Thats coming to like £100 to access everything + £9

i mean Guild wars 2 by far is the cheapest investment of MMOs… and In comparison to other forms of entertainment on the majority MMOs as a whole are cheaper, so i feel like u cant really accuse GW2 for ripping people off, they are charging u alot less.. for the exact same amount of stuff any other MMO generally delievers in expansions in todays prices.

Some MMOs are completely free. So this is not a justification.

Posted by: Sykper.6583

Sykper.6583

What you linked there, as far as I can tell, is an article saying that GW2 is the 3rd most profitable B2P/F2P MMO on the planet (per user), making 3 times as much money per account as League of Legends! Was that part of your argument about how we should just pay the $50 and get on with it already?

Not really, I was more or less attempting to show just how little the average GW2 user will spend on GW2, how it measures up to other games and genres matters little to me.

Kudos for the source, though that does claim it’s per 12 months, so that’s more like $12 per user since launch (assuming constant numbers over the timeframe). I’m probably close to the $100 mark in total, but I wasn’t buying an additional character because I’ve never played an MMO before (with limited character slots) that didn’t give you a slot when a new class comes out. I’m sure it’s happened, but that doesn’t really make it terribly reasonable. It’s like a parking garage asking me to pay them to drive my new car into the lot and then once I’m inside making me pay for a parking spot.

It’s a bit of an stretch for an analogy but I can understand. I want to point out something however. Like you I am also probably over $100 as well put into this game, all of it in the hopes of funding a very good game that makes nearly all of its content free (Again, I’ll say that the Season 2 unlocks with Gems are a fee, but that’s content us veterans got as a perk for staying since the beginning and logging in). So when GW2 has given myself and many others thousands of hours of entertainment and fun, I can personally look at $50 for an expansion as nothing more than a minor thing, a character slot even less than minor, its trivial.

It’s a shame that in today’s gaming community we still have people who pre-order and accept any price a gaming company asks of them without knowing if the game, or in this case, expansion is worth it. You are part of the problem, not the solution. Anet made a great game, but asking $50 for an expansion and not including even a character slot is too much and reason to move on. Don’t care about your core players, then I’m no longer going to support you or any company that treats it’s customers like they mean nothing more than $$$.

I’ve been around the block before, hearing things like this since early WoW. And I’ll say the same thing back then now. You don’t know how I value things so you can’t just say I am part of the problem. You can take that illicit high-horse and apply it elsewhere, my pre-purchase is not just a aimless money-sink, its also a sign of my faith in a company to deliver on their promises. I didn’t need to see the rest of the content after the Guild Halls to see $50 as being worth it, and if you have gotten to the point where you have lost faith in GW2 then there will be nothing I can say that will convince you otherwise.

For the record, this is probably the 3rd game I have pre-purchased or pre-ordered like this. And I have played a lot of games.

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”

Posted by: Tavalia.1986

Tavalia.1986

Why not just let the core game at 10$ as fixed price (it’s cheap) and expansion at 40$?
That would be a reasonable price and fair for everyone, so you can justify 50$ for expansion and core game in the bundle.
That makes new players able to buy the complete game at same price you listed, also being “cheap” option for them and vets have the option for what we are asking for, just the expansion.
Since it’s a pre-order add some advantages like the title and something else to both options and everyone will be happy.

Sorry if my english is not good enough.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Some GW2 players are the most entitled I’ve seen in the industry, not because they want everything given to them … but because they honestly think they are being rational about this.

What’s irrational about wanting the full information of what you are purchasing? The secrecy surrounding HoT is giving players pause before they make their decision. I don’t think you know what entitlement means.

Posted by: Aleria Reila.2519

Aleria Reila.2519

This is not clarifying the issue that most people are trying to make on the forum, could someone please directly answer the concerns that are being put forward by the community instead of redirecting the conversation.

Again, referring to my previous post, all long term players are basically paying double for the exact same thing that a new player is getting. We paid once at original GW2 release for the game, now we are paying again for a expansion. New players are paying once for the expansion, and getting the original release for no additional cost. To be fair maybe Anet should give All long term GW2 players a refund for the original purchase so we can all enjoy this “free core game offer” when we buy the expansion. I guess its about treating potential new players better than those who have been around for months or even years? Regardless of your argument, this is not set up right at all. To repeat myself again, there needs to be a “expansion only” purchase option. Please make it right Anet.

(edited by Aleria Reila.2519)

Posted by: Tyloric.7520

Tyloric.7520

People don’t seem to realize that core GW2 is included, not being charged for. I fully expected this to be $50. How you guys see the massive amount of content HoT is? Mostof you are complaining but are going to buy it anyway. If it really bugs you that much wait for the inevitable price drop is six months kitten .

Casteless Wind [Guild Wars 2]
The Secksy Monk [Guild Wars 1]
Stormbluff Isle – Storm Slayer Dragons [SDS]

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

For the record, this is probably the 3rd game I have pre-purchased or pre-ordered like this. And I have played a lot of games.

The last game I pre-purchased was ESO. That worked out well.

More seriously, for me ANet has earned a certain amount of trust, unfortunately they have just nudged that price point past that level.

Posted by: Otokomae.9356

Otokomae.9356

I still don’t understand why people keep saying “$50 is the average price of an expansion”. Where does that come from??? Is the price of WoW’s latest expansion just automatically the “average” price?

Here’s a list of the Top 10 MMO Expansions:
http://mmoatk.com/mmo-videos/top-10-best-mmorpg-expansions-mmo-attack-top-10/

NOT ONE EXPANSION on this list cost more than $39.99 to pre-order, and at least 1/2 of them were less than $30! Also, every single game on that list included at least some in-game extras with it’s cheapest, standard pre-order pack. EVERY. ONE.

So at best, you might get away with saying that the “average” price of an MMO Expansion is $40 in pre-order, but not $50. And that “average” includes at least some in-game extras in EVERY INSTANCE, beyond mere “Beta Access”.

Even Mists of Panderia came out at only $39.99, and that included in-game extras ACROSS 3 DIFFERENT GAMES!

I would need to see a lot more examples than just “Warlords of Draenor costs that much” before I could say “$50 is the price of an expansion pre-order, with virtually no extras included.”

Bakuon/Bakuon Thief [MAS]/ ex-[ATac]

(edited by Otokomae.9356)

Posted by: Zelta.6829

Zelta.6829

Can you buy the expansion alone? Why do I have to buy the core game again if I already have it…

Posted by: Manny.8039

Manny.8039

79.99 USD equals over $100 Aus …for for an expansion.!
Just wow. That’s insane.

(I know I could of referenced the $49.99 version but what good is the expansion without a character slot. Myself and many others already have one of each profession)

The complete game at launch cost less than that with 5 Character slots.

I was super keen for this and willing to pre-order but will now give it a miss until it’s on sale.
>very disappointed<

I’m also in Aus and agree that the price is somewhat high just for an expansion, and yes, I also paid less for the original game at launch, complete with 5 slots you mentioned.
Generally new games here cost about 90 bucks. Cheaper than the expansion (with 1 slot)
Considering I need to buy this for me and my son, I’ll also give it a miss now and wait until it’s in the bargain basement bin.

Posted by: NikolasRobichaud.4237

NikolasRobichaud.4237

How I see it, you need the game again to play HoT (the new GW2 launcher is the only possible way to get into the game) and you can’t just add on to the current at least yet. And possibly in the future they will offer a expansion only.

If not, it’s bull i’m not getting it at 50$ for the little content they have to offer…they have teased the new specialisations and other things with out a release date and they are keeping there hype train with there "where not actually done yet but give us more cash to pay the developers and in exchange will let you beta test what we have so far) which is really poor tactics IMO

Unless they address the issue with veteran players who already have the base game, there coming across as money hungry…in example with no new character slow etc…

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

You can take that illicit high-horse and apply it elsewhere, my pre-purchase is not just a aimless money-sink, its also a sign of my faith in a company to deliver on their promises. I didn’t need to see the rest of the content after the Guild Halls to see $50 as being worth it, and if you have gotten to the point where you have lost faith in GW2 then there will be nothing I can say that will convince you otherwise.

Blind faith is the entire problem with the overall preorder mess in gaming. And it’s becoming more and more common for that blind faith to be completely unwarranted and absurd. With companies repeatedly releasing incomplete and broken games.

It’s really sad to think of just how many people are going to pre order the next Assassin’s Creed game after the absolute trainwreck the last one turned out to be. Yet people will line up and throw their money away like it that never happened. It’s fine to have faith in a company that has always lived up to that trust. But when a company starts to waiver, your blind faith needs to do the same.

And this applies to Anet, too. I don’t see how anyone could have complete faith in HoT’s quality after the train of bugs (many gamebreaking) in just the last few updates. And even worse, the 6 months of complete misrepresentation about the core game being a prerequisite for HoT.

Why would you trust anyone that has been flat out lying to you for 6 months and marketing their product under false pretenses?

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

(edited by mrstealth.6701)

Posted by: Xeno Mezphy.3145

Xeno Mezphy.3145

Kudos for the source, though that does claim it’s per 12 months, so that’s more like $12 per user since launch (assuming constant numbers over the timeframe). I’m probably close to the $100 mark in total, but I wasn’t buying an additional character because I’ve never played an MMO before (with limited character slots) that didn’t give you a slot when a new class comes out. I’m sure it’s happened, but that doesn’t really make it terribly reasonable. It’s like a parking garage asking me to pay them to drive my new car into the lot and then once I’m inside making me pay for a parking spot.

It’s a bit of an stretch for an analogy but I can understand. I want to point out something however. Like you I am also probably over $100 as well put into this game, all of it in the hopes of funding a very good game that makes nearly all of its content free (Again, I’ll say that the Season 2 unlocks with Gems are a fee, but that’s content us veterans got as a perk for staying since the beginning and logging in). So when GW2 has given myself and many others thousands of hours of entertainment and fun, I can personally look at $50 for an expansion as nothing more than a minor thing, a character slot even less than minor, its trivial.

Yeah, I’m playing the analogy game a little fast and loose, but I really can’t think of anything that is the same as offering content that you can’t use without a further investment. “Batteries Not Included” has been mentioned and is probably the best available.

It’s not about the character slot. It’s about content being offered and then the expectation that I will either invest additional time or money to access that content or un-invest some previously spent time and money. I’m fine with investing money to access content, but I’ll only do it once. If I’m paying for the expansion that comes with a class, I figure I should have access to that class unimpeded. People are claiming it is cost free, and I will make no such claim. Server space costs money. I get that. Buying an expansion costs money too. Why should we respect Anet’s bottom line any more than they seem interested in respecting ours? If they want to give me a gift, give it to me. If they want me to pay for content I already have, then they will not be receiving my money. Claiming that I’m not paying for it doesn’t make it true.

Completely Pointless and Self-Defeating Edit: I would pay them $50 today though if they also mention SAB being open forever. That’s all I’ve ever wanted

(edited by Xeno Mezphy.3145)

Posted by: Wuselknusel.4082

Wuselknusel.4082

I am ok with the prices for the most part. I’d just like to know why I am supposed to pay a higher price as an European for the Ultimate Edition, than an American (100€-100$, compared to 45€-50$).

I’d just like to make sure that I get atleast some characterslots as compensation for new players getting the base game for free.

Zelta.6829

How I see it, you need the game again to play HoT (the new GW2 launcher is the only possible way to get into the game) and you can’t just add on to the current at least yet. And possibly in the future they will offer a expansion only.

If not, it’s bull i’m not getting it at 50$ for the little content they have to offer…they have teased the new specialisations and other things with out a release date and they are keeping there hype train with there "where not actually done yet but give us more cash to pay the developers and in exchange will let you beta test what we have so far) which is really poor tactics IMO

Unless they address the issue with veteran players who already have the base game, there coming across as money hungry…in example with no new character slow etc…

ALL they have to do is allow existing players to buy the expansion as a standalone for like 25-30 bucks. I mean I will buy it, but no way in hell for 50 which includes the core game I already own.

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

I was hoping you guys knew more, but I see it’s a high priced mystery to everyone.

We know some details like most of the masteries, some elite specializations, but we know very little on how big the PvE environments actually are. We haven’t seen teasers of the story either, like previews of the missions. Jeweler and Chef 500, hasn’t been talked about. Neither has challenging group or guild content yet. Besides we’ll be able to fight advance versions of the Wyvern later on in HoT.

Posted by: Goraz.3754

Goraz.3754

BTW, if someone buys the expansion and Anet are including the original game again, does that mean that someone can give that original game to a friend?

Posted by: Yuri Kwon.1069

Yuri Kwon.1069

There will be the expansion only purchase. However, it will cost 50 dollars like the pre-purchase. That is what Anet officially told us. $50 is price for the expansion alone. ‘Free Core Game’ will be removed after launching HoT. Honestly, i don’t think Anet would lower the price, give an extra char slot, or change anyting.

Ms Jeanne / 80 Theif / [Kiwi] Gamers World
Stormbluff Isle

(edited by Yuri Kwon.1069)

Zelta.6829

BTW, if someone buys the expansion and Anet are including the original game again, does that mean that someone can give that original game to a friend?

Nope. Why would you want to do that anyways, they will have to buy the expansion for 50 anyways in order to play even if you could.

Posted by: Otokomae.9356

Otokomae.9356

This has been answered 100 times already, but no. If you already own the game, the only way to claim your “Free Bonus” game is to start a whole new account. The moment you apply your Expansion purchase to an existing account, the “Free Bonus” game vanishes forever.

However… according to the Official FAQ, there will apparently be a Boxed Version of HoT. Maybe you’ll get 2 CD or something in that. Or maybe they just haven’t change the FAQ yet, who knows?
https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/105801626-Guild-Wars-2-Heart-of-Thorns-FAQ

Bakuon/Bakuon Thief [MAS]/ ex-[ATac]

Posted by: Sunjammer.5209

Sunjammer.5209

^ This, I think, is the worst part of it – recent purchasers who may have spent US$10, $20, maybe even $40 because they read the FAQ that says the core game is required to play the expansion. Then the pre-purchase “deals” come out and say the core game is included.

mrstealth.6701

No, you only get 1 code for both products. So once you apply it to your existing account, there is nothing left to give.

Existing players are only actually getting 1 of the 2 products in the bundle.

Posted by: Quiznos.4296

Quiznos.4296

People don’t seem to realize that core GW2 is included, not being charged for. I fully expected this to be $50. How you guys see the massive amount of content HoT is? Mostof you are complaining but are going to buy it anyway. If it really bugs you that much wait for the inevitable price drop is six months kitten .

You don’t seem to realize that core is included only for some, for others it is not included.
I’m not going to “buy it anyway” until there’s some form of restructuring/adjustment on prices or included items.
it does bug me that much. And I will wait. However it is in arenanets best interest to accrue a larger top line sooner that can be invested over time. Rather than the same top line addition later.

I’m selling a cardboard box for $50 bucks.
My potential buyer says I’ll buy it from you for $50 if you flatten it now or $40 unflattened next month.
I can flatten the box, at no additional expense. Offer to reduce the price, at no additional expense, but lost potential of $10. Or sell it next month after putting it on sale, no addl expense, at lost potential of $10 + 30 days interest on $40

Posted by: WhiteCrow.5310

WhiteCrow.5310

Some GW2 players are the most entitled I’ve seen in the industry, not because they want everything given to them … but because they honestly think they are being rational about this.

What’s irrational about wanting the full information of what you are purchasing? The secrecy surrounding HoT is giving players pause before they make their decision. I don’t think you know what entitlement means.

There is no more secrecy. There is only this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Posted by: synfullydevine.3642

synfullydevine.3642

Anet must be in dire need of cash infusion to stay afloat at these prices. Its too steep of a price. Can anet guaranty that we will get nearly equal amount of content that bought when the game launched since the price is only $10 less? Stuff like guild halls and gvg should have been included at launch. I can almost imagine the amount of bugs/glitches we the players are going to have to put up with when HoT launches, like every major update time and time again.

I agree. Ppl talk about how much functionality there is going to be but most of this stuff like gh,gvg and balancing is stuff a net finally trying to fix since launch. So yeah 50 for some extra maps and next episode of ls . Reverent with no character slot. I know I’m speaking too soon because we still have only chunks of content shown to us but as of now it is pricey. Just too little to go on. Which is why I’m holding off for now. What will I miss anyways….. Beta. I played head start with a war. Made me hate the class till I rerolled 6 months later. So don’t think I’m missing much to see how things play out

Posted by: Uman.6150

Uman.6150

Hi,

First off, I’ve been a big fan of GW1, GW2, the living story and all the work you’ve been doing, for this reason, I know HoT will be worth every penny you ask for, and I’d have certainly pre purchased it straight away (like I did with GW2 on april 10th), if it wasn’t for you’re policy of including the first game.

I perfectly understand it makes sense for you to include GW2 in the package, as this almost 3 years old game is quite frequently bargained for $10, and you get most of your money from the gem store anyway.

However, I find this a bit shocking not to give something back to the GW2 players (let’s say, that same $10 in the form of 800 gems, enough to get a character slot).

Right now, a player that have 5 characters would have to pay “more” to bind the extension with his original account to create a Revenant, as he would have to pay for an additional slot (or delete one of his character), than just creating a new account.

I personally spent happily over $100 on the gem store, already have an empty 11th slot for my revenant, but I really don’t feel good about pre-purchasing HoT with the current offer…

I really hope you’ll reconsider.

Posted by: Stochastic.1398

Stochastic.1398

So last week I bought GW2, I’m more then a little annoyed about the expansion including the base game(with ANET doing this, they are essentially saying the base game is worthless).

I assumed expansions would require the base game or at least give a discount for people with the base game(it is understandable for the package to be less but there still needs to be a discount – say at least 10USD off), the idea of having to purchase the base game over-again seems absurd(regardless of when you purchased it).

So my questions are simple.

1. Can I upgrade my account without having to pay an additional 50?

2. For future expansions will you give a discount to existing players(say 10USD or something) if the expansion includes the base game?

If the question is no to #1, I am never buying another ANET game again. If the question is no to #2, I am seriously considering not buying another ANET game either since as said above it is essentially saying the base game you payed for is now worthless.

If this is going to be ANET policy it’s rather good I found out now before I invest any more time into the game. I payed for the separate GW1 games but they were not expansions, they were stand alone games. This is fundamentally different.

Posted by: Orochimaru.4730

Orochimaru.4730

Submit a support ticket and ask for a refund, then pre-purchase HoT

If Anet refuse to give us who already have GW2 a cheaper upgrade package for HoT, do you really think they will do so in the future?
But seeing the bad response from players at the prices, if Anet do not change it there wont be any future expansions.

(edited by Orochimaru.4730)

Posted by: Blackworm.2167

Blackworm.2167

Oh yes, because god forbid anyone criticizes the business practices of a company.
It’s people like you responsible for the rapidly dropping standards of the gaming industry. You brown-nosers would eat feces if they were spoon-fed by Anet.
Personally, I expected better from them.
And you honestly think that’s rational behavior. It goes both ways, pal.
To everyone else: Stay cynical, for the good of the industry.

GW1 – Dervish / Warrior –
GW2 – Borlis Pass – Revenant & Warrior –
Steam Profile

Posted by: RabbitUp.8294

RabbitUp.8294

1. After you buy HoT, you can submit a ticket, and if they respond, they’ll probably accept to “refund” your account by deleting it, and letting you make a new account to apply the code you’ll get from HoT. Enjoy.

2. This is the first expansion after 3 years from this game’s launch. What you describe is what didn’t happen. The rest is in the front page.

Ain’t Anet lovely?

(edited by RabbitUp.8294)

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

I think you guys got it all wrong. The USD50 is to get back the money they spend making Drytop and Silverwaste.
So, it would make sense if they charge extra of USD10-20 for those 2 maps. And the 30-40USD is the price of the expansion plus the core.

Posted by: Bellizare.5816

Bellizare.5816

GL with that ticket.

Posted by: Xeno Mezphy.3145

Xeno Mezphy.3145

I think you guys got it all wrong. The USD50 is to get back the money they spend making Drytop and Silverwaste.
So, it would make sense if they charge extra of USD10-20 for those 2 maps. And the 30-40USD is the price of the expansion plus the core.

I thought that’s what mail carriers were for.

Posted by: Raven.3957

Raven.3957

Its an easy fix. The starter pack just has to offer the base game OR 800 gems along with the HoT expansion(Keeping in mind that the other two packages are the starter PLUS stuff so its for all of them really).

Everyone wins, no one has to refund anything, anet dosent have to pay money. Its that simple.. 800 gems.

mrstealth.6701

I thought that’s what mail carriers were for.

Yeah, those were part of the trickle of content paid for by the gemstore. Just like everything we’ll see after HoT’s release, up till the next paid expansion.

Posted by: Felix.9170

Felix.9170

What bothers me is the above mentioned “Batteries not included” aspect. They have hyped the new class but if I want to play it i have to spend an additional $10 for a character slot.
There are the other issues about the value of content and what-not but for me that is not as big an issue as selling an expansion that then requires an additional expansion to utilize the content advertized!
I will state for the record that the addition of 800 gems, the cost of a character slot, for existing accounts would be a fine resolution and if this happens I will buy the pre-order despite the other reservations I have.
It then becomes a matter of Anet convincing the majority that the new content is worth the $50 price tag, which for some of us, apparently, will take some doing.