HoT Price Feedback + Base game included [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Eagle.7208

Eagle.7208

Hey all,

We understand that there are many opinions and suggestions about the game versions and the pre-purchase program. We will continue to read your thoughts and thank you for sharing them.

At last, a sign of life from the aNet office! Honestly though.. We need a character slot or we cannot play the expansion, not going to delete 1600 gems worth of bagspace :-(

You will be able to play the expansion with existing characters

All I care for is the Revenant class, forget fractiles and stuff, World vs World is all I do. You can charge me the silly price, but if I cant use the class its pointless to buy for me.

I saw this posted earlyer on in the thread. This pretty much sums it up.
http://puu.sh/itAcM/bffe1e0ea4.png

(edited by Eagle.7208)

Posted by: ReiCH.6273

ReiCH.6273

Have you considered the possibility that the original game was extremely under-priced? For the amount of content we got, and the amount of enjoyment I have got out of it, I would say the original GW2 was the bargain of the century myself, and HoT is priced more realistically.

Of course we would not have known how good it was to start with, so they had to put a price on it people would be willing to pay. But now I have played it, I am very happy I only had to pay the small amount they charged for it.

Fallacious argument right there. Doesn’t matter if it was under priced. They choose the price. They certainly didn’t ask me, and nobody else. If they made a mistake it’s their problem not ours. Players are customers, not a charity. So that’s, that.

And then, you “know” how good gw2 has been, but you’re clueless about HoT. Why? Cause they’re changing so much you really can’t be sure. You’re -assuming- in good faith that it’ll be good, but without knowing what exactly is contained in said expansion, and how much you’ll actually like the changes, you can’t really tell.

And finally if they had to put gw2 to a price range folks were willing to pay, consider this thread the notice they need that those prices aren’t what some folks don’t want to pay. You were ok, others aren’t. This is them telling the company to adjust it’s pricing.

BTW still waiting on the official reply from the company, but I have this idea that they’ll wait till after the patch in the hopes that folks get distracted, OR the expansion is selling really well for them, and we’re a minority so no need to address us.

In most games, Casuals are the majority. In GW2, Casuals are the game. Azumi.9572

Posted by: Proeliator.4158

Proeliator.4158

I WILL NOT PAY so much money for expansion if you will not change some things and items in expansion…!!!Rage quit!This is unacceptable marketing pricing from you ANet,so disappointed…

(edited by Proeliator.4158)

Posted by: Conski Deshan.2057

Conski Deshan.2057

Most people seem to be talking about the Vanilla copy included, but my concern is more the price point in general.
45e base version – Pretty expensive for an expansion, would be okish if it included a character slot.

75e version – 30 euro more for the deluxe?? this seems excessive and is the main issue I have, I’d feel it much more reasonable if it was reduced to 60 euro or the unlikely event if both are price reduced, 50 euro. I don’t want to get into semantics about the value of the digital bonuses, from a general standpoint it is a higher than average price for a deluxe/collectors expansion price (plus it looks like they literally just added 30 euro of gem store stuff and added 30 to the price.. which isn’t a deal).

For reference the usual price for an expansion where I’m from is 30 Euro , for a brand new AAA full game 50 Euro* (used to be 60 but all games lowered their prices a few years back except COD), additionally buying digital is usually 5-10 euro cheaper than physical edition.

[RoF] and [BL] guild leader
11x level 80’s 80+ Titles 2600+ skins , still a long way to go.

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

We need to keep this stirred up so more notice it. The E3 announcements are over, and Anet is losing that hype to hide behind. The longer this remains a hot topic, the more it will stand out above the other recent news.

I think Anet was likely banking on E3 covering any news about this. E3 is a place to reveal and hype upcoming games, not a place to put your already announced products to market. Plus Steam’s summer sale is going on, and PC gamers are already funneling money into that. If Anet/NC wanted hype for HoT from E3, they would have went there themselves and been on the show floor. Not some dinky few minute segment on the PC Gaming show.

So keep up the storm, don’t let Anet use E3 to hide their bad PR.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

Posted by: Myrden.2456

Myrden.2456

For those of you who say that veteran players got things new players will not get (ie Living World, Lion’s Arch destruction, Scarlet, Marionette, etc.) so we should just shut up and be thankful, please consider this for a moment.

I purchased this game because ArenaNet stated that there would be regular updates, new content and features, and reasons to continue playing. THIS is why I paid the $40 (the price when I purchased over a year ago). ArenaNet did not give me anything for “free,” they promised new content and updates, and features up front, before I paid. And, they have lived up to that promise. The devs and community team do a wonderful job and I have great fun with this game.

I have also spent hundreds of dollars in the gem store since I started playing. My purchases (along with all who spend in the store) is what helps create the new content. I am paying real money for it.

Ultimately, $50 is worth it to me for this game. But, ANET has really botched this pre-order for existing players. I don’t begrudge the deal for new players … I welcome them. But creating a welcoming environment for new players while ignoring current ones is how companies lose customers. I love this game and want to continue playing it. I want to give them $250 (I pay for mine, my wife and children’s accounts) for this expansion. But, I won’t do it until they show me they want me to stick around.

Posted by: Wolfeng.3784

Wolfeng.3784

I will post this everywhere I can.

FIRST and most important:

- They falsely advertised the “expansion” making buy the game when it went on sale.
- Expansion is in fact the base game now. All those sales were useless and just generate extra money for Anet with no benefit to the person who bought.
- Their refund policy SO FAR, is deleting those accounts, losing all your progress, and even being unable to relink your GW1 account.

THATS SCAM! IF you can get behind a company that scammed hundreds of players with a false advertising campaign, go for it.

SECOND and not so important.

Even if the base game is free, there’s VALUE in it. And this VALUE is not reflected in the purchase of older players.

Don’t you dare say “you enjoyed 3 years of blah blah blah”. I (and many others) only began playing before the expansion was announced, anything I enjoyed is available for any new player.

If Anet wanted to make something good for new players, giving them extra value on their purchase, why is the same not being done to the people that already owned the game? Why is our money LESS VALUABLE?

THIRD and even less important.

Even if you say the base game is free, all we know for a FACT is that the base game is definatelly worth 50$.
Can we really REALLY be sure that the expansion is offering 50$ worth of content?
Can we REALLY be sure that the expansion isn’t being priced at 50$ just because the base game is included?

Considering how Anet scammed all those people in the first point, I don’t think we can trust the company anymore.

I know my “solution” is going to make the defenders of Anet laugh, but that’s the same thing other companies that went through this have done it, time and time again.

- Everyone that you scammed, everyone that bought the game since the expansion was announced should get Heart of Thorns for free. Upgrade those accounts. No stupid refund where you delte their account, just plain and simple, upgrade their accounts for the expansion.

Yes, you will lose money from those sales, but you brought this on yourself when you turned everything into false advertising.

- For the older players, we get to pay the 50$ you want. But since you want to offer the base game for FREE, since you’re adding so much value in that purchase, offer something of equal value.

Our money should not be worth less than that of another consumer.

Now as a final reply for those that would defend Anet.
All we want from Anet is to be treated equally as consumers. Right now our money holds less value, and that’s what driving everyone to “whine” as you say.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Isn’t the original GW2 still available on Amazon for those that want only the core game?

Posted by: Aggrostemma.1703

Aggrostemma.1703

Dear ANET marketing section!

Just give 10 dollars discount for existing players. You may loose 20% of the income but if 21% more player will buy the game you are already in a winner position. Not to mention that a veteran player is more likely to buy some gems than a newcomer.

You have all your statistics. Figure it out how much a veteran pays for you in average and how much a new customer does.

I will buy the ultimate for two accounts but as I said I boycott the purchase right now…

(for all the forum readers:

I may sound like a RichJoe because I will go for the Ultimate edition but this is only partially true. I do enjoy this game! Forget my forum history! But if 90% of my guild stops playing GW2 and goes for another MMO I’m going to go with them!)

#I no words have"

Posted by: KGS.9842

KGS.9842

well it is a gamble on anets part
if enough people suck it up, and buy the dlc despite anet’s underhanded move, than old players say “enough with your kitten”, it will be more beneficial to them than giving that free core account, or anything in the way of compensation for it

they won’t be getting any money from me though, as the matter stands, and I hope enough people see this situation for what it is and.. wait at least, because otherwise it will just make anet more likely to try to pull things like this again, and screw with their users

(edited by KGS.9842)

Posted by: xbutcherx.3861

xbutcherx.3861

Are players finally going to be able to craft precursors with this expansion? I have materials to make 3 legendary but I can’t because of RNG and I refuse to buy them.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Isn’t the original GW2 still available on Amazon for those that want only the core game?

amazon has older copies they have to sell. This is not really relevant. Figure that if a new shmuck buys it on amazon, he will likely promply return it if he realizes he can get the new version for the same price.

their may be a market for people who just want the game cheaper, if its cheaper. But anet isnt producing any more core packages. it is effectively no longer officially being sold by the manufacturer

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

GW1:
Prophecies $50

Factions $50 / 2 new classes / +2 slots if linked to existing

Nightfall $50 / 2 new classes / +2 slots if linked to existing

Gw:EN $40 / 0 new classes / +0 slots
– 4 new regions
– 18 dungeons
– 41 new armor sets, including rare, stand-alone pieces

All but GW:EN are stand alone campaigns.

Gw2 $60

HoT $50 / 1 class / +0 slots
– Regina “included the core game as a free bonus to make it easier for new players to get into it.”

You’re comparing EOTN to HoT but EOTN didn’t include a new class. There was no need to add a new slot because you weren’t expecting to play the new class.

Posted by: Wolfeng.3784

Wolfeng.3784

They should have just made base game be worth 10$ and be done with it. It would have avoided 90% of the rage.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

They should have just made base game be worth 10$ and be done with it. It would have avoided 90% of the rage.

Exactly.

And when other types of companies do promotions for new customers they tell you up front that it is a new player only deal.

Anet didn’t do that. No where on the purchase page or FAQ does it state that the “free” core game included was for new players only.

This isn’t a bundle, if it was a bundle we’d get separate codes for the base game + expansion. Despite their site saying you get a code for Hot AND core. They really mean you get a single code that includes both HoT and core. That’s not a bundle. That’s deceptive language.

They need to watch their words much better…and need to find some way to repair the damage they’ve done.

Posted by: Scoundrel.2139

Scoundrel.2139

As far as I can tell there are really only two (three, if I’m picky) problems.

- Firstly, though, can I just say that adding the base game to the bundle is a fantastic idea. It doesn’t decrease your game value, in fact if it gets more people in it increases it. Your game just got more ‘Multi’. Don’t get why people are up in arms over it.

- However, as an expansion I would have expected Anet to realise “Hey, you played our game for 3 years! How awesome is it? You probably filled your character slots in your travels and we get that. So have one extra slot so you can roll a Rev”. It rewards loyalty. Take two scenarios:
1. I play casually. Not right into the game, but still like it. Expac! I can roll a Rev straight off as I have 2-3 maybe slots free.
2. I play all the time. Love the game. Can’t get off. I rave about it to friends. I have no free slots, in fact I have 9 alts. I’ve paid money to Anet to deck them out in all their Gem-store shiny goodness. Wait? I have to delete one now or pay $10 to roll that new Rev?What? No. I love my characters.

- The FAQ thing. That was just dastardly.

- The third is just being picky. When I bought GW2 it was for the base game. It was advertised that it was B2P. However, the expac is not a new story, it’s a continuation. So I can’t finish the game I bought without buying something. I feel like I bought my box set Star Wars, and found out at the end of Empire that ROTJ will cost me $10 extra. If it was a new story, no problem.

As an end summary, that price. This will change with everyone. Some think it’s cheap (yes, they’re out there), some expensive, some think it’s right. I think it’s a bit high, especially as I need to pay $10 on top to get another Character slot. But market forces should work this one out in it’s slow, relentless, method.

Veni, Vidi, Victa.
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit, Altum Videtur

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

In feel sorry for the poor soul at ANet who has to read through this. Will probably be a job vacancy there soon.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Drawing Guy.3701

Drawing Guy.3701

So there are quite a few things that bother me about this HoT pre-purchase deal:

1) The base game being included after sales on the base game to push people to buy it for the expansion release now makes those sales look like nefarious cash grabs. I realize that the inclusion is to encourage new players to join by lowering the bar of entry for them, but I think there NEEDS to be a “loyal player” bonus so those that purchased the game before so they don’t feel like they just got gypped as they were getting it thinking they had to for the upcoming expansion. I realize that it may not have been purposeful and the game being included may have been a recent decision, but that doesn’t change the effect. A character slot or something that amounts to at least a $10 value (the cost of the base game at 75% off sales) should be included for expansions purchased on accounts that already have the base game.

2) A full list of what is included in the expansion is needed. Value is subjective and people will buy or balk no matter what you price it at, but it helps to know what we’re attributing that value to. As it stands, I don’t understand why it costs more than $40. Though at least the “deluxe” and “ultimate” are easy to calculate once you know the base game value. They’re not nearly as special or ‘ultimate’ as getting art books, figurines, beautifully made maps, and whatnot, which saddens me.

Posted by: beastahead.9732

beastahead.9732

So guys – THIS IS HOW ITS DONE: http://www.unlimitedgamestore.com/world-of-warcraft-battlechest-3-0-battle-net-key.html bundled with http://www.unlimitedgamestore.com/world-of-warcraft-warlords-of-draenor-battle-net-cdkey-eu-pc-mac.html?search=Warlord

Costs us cheaper than the whole Guild Wars 2 HOT bundle…….

Also. There is a website which offers HoT ONLY preorder for 35Euro: http://www.gamecard.mobi/guild-wars-2-heart-of-thorns-addon-pc.html?___store=default&a_aid=ckw

and for kitten

http://www.gamesdeal.com/guild-wars-2-heart-of-thorns-addon-pc.html?___store=english&a_aid=ckw

I mean…. what the kittening hell?

EDIT: Both sites say that they will send the CD-Keys on release date(according to them 31.12 or 29.12) Either they are full of bullkitten or they have an insider info about the real price of the darn kittened expansion.

(edited by beastahead.9732)

xbutcherx.3861

Scoundrel.2139

Pre-order now! We will send the key to you at release date.

This game will be released on 2015-12-31.

lulz

Veni, Vidi, Victa.

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

2) A full list of what is included in the expansion is needed. Value is subjective and people will buy or balk no matter what you price it at, but it helps to know what we’re attributing that value to. As it stands, I don’t understand why it costs more than $40. Though at least the “deluxe” and “ultimate” are easy to calculate once you know the base game value. They’re not nearly as special or ‘ultimate’ as getting art books, figurines, beautifully made maps, and whatnot, which saddens me.

Even the feature list they’ve already given is not entirely honest. Stronghold and the new WvW borderland are not features HoT gets you, they are features everyone gets. I’m curious about whether the same applies to guild halls. I know that a leader and at least some members will need HoT to go and “claim” the hall. But with it being such a core feature of guilds, it seems likely that every member will be able to access it, whether or not they own HoT.

So what does that leave as exclusive HoT-only content?

The only things we know for sure are elite specs for all classes, 1 new class, and masteries. Beyond that, a vague mention of “challenging group content” with no further details and a completely indeterminate amount of maps/open world content. For all we know, Verdant Brink could be the entirety of HoT’s open world content.

The fact that they aren’t willing to disclose any information relating to the amount of content says a lot to me. Primarily, that they feel it’s not enough for players to feel is worth the price. They would be trying the hype the amount if they felt it was worth it.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

Posted by: Altapir.2571

Altapir.2571

I disagree. A more accurate example would be:
Microsoft: We have a new XBox for $200.
User: Oooh, I’ve never had an XBox! Would I have to buy the original XBox first though?
Microsoft: Not at all. This new XBox is based on the original, so all the features of the original are included in this new version.
User2: I already have an XBox. Do I really have to buy the new one? Can’t I just buy.. parts of it?
Microsoft: Uh…. The new one replaces the original.

… etc…

Flawed logic.

In your example, the real scenario will be this one:

User 1: what is that?
Sony: PS4s external hard drive with recording software
User 1: I don’t have a PS4, do I need to buy one?
Sony: Not anymore! we are including the PS4 for free on this deal!
User 1: Neat!
User 2: Hey, I already have a PS4, how much is this upgrade for me?
Sony: The same price
User 2: So I can’t buy only the hard drive…
Sony: Nope
User 2: Well, I’ll get another PS4… I guess I just got my brother’s birthday present, he is gonna love it for sure!
Sony: Nope, you don’t understand. You can buy the hard drive at full price and we’ll keep the free PS4, since you already have one.

xbutcherx.3861

Pre-order now! We will send the key to you at release date.

This game will be released on 2015-12-31.

lulz

LOLOLOLOL oh man someone is going to get fired.

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

After thinking about the pre-purchase price a few days, I really have only one objection:

Those of us who have regularly purchased gems since release are treated the same as those who only convert gold to gems and never actually purchased gems.

I understand the promotional discount to new players as a temporary thing and I understand the steep price (assuming that price buys two more years of continuous investment by Arenanet).

I purchase gems with real money to support maintenance and development and am disappointed at receiving the same offer as players who do not support the game financially.

Posted by: MFoy.3284

MFoy.3284

Okay, Okay lets all just take a deep breath and step back from the ledge for a minute. Yes, I pre-ordered Guild Wars 2 for 60 bucks when it first came out. I’ve gotten over 4,300 hours of fun out of it. I also pre-ordered HoT at 50 bucks.

I got full value for the original game and I’m will to bet 50 bucks that Arena Net will follow through this time as well.

And I did get a new slot… It’s called Beta. That might end up having, as yet, undisclosed value in the future…

Let me include a graphic that should help give the whole rant kill-eat-dead-burnt-bodies folks a context to consider:

Attachments:

Posted by: KGS.9842

KGS.9842

I understand the promotional discount to new players as a temporary thing and I understand the steep price (assuming that price buys two more years of continuous investment by Arenanet).

that is false, i have a mail from support that states explicitly that the the expansion will never be sold separately from the core game

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

After thinking about the pre-purchase price a few days, I really have only one objection:

Those of us who have regularly purchased gems since release are treated the same as those who only convert gold to gems and never actually purchased gems.

I purchase gems with real money to support maintenance and development and am disappointed at receiving the same offer as players who do not support the game financially.

Honest question here:

Did you get what you paid for when you bought gems?

Posted by: Mooncaller.9634

Mooncaller.9634

I was a keen pre-purchaser right up until pre-purchase was announced and then I wasn’t.

What happen? I hesitated…..

Reading some people’s posts I’ve seen the veteran ‘entitlement’ post thrown around. I did wonder, was that me, was I being to entitled? Being a 3 day head start Gw2 player.
I look at others posts: it’s to expensive, there’s no character slot etc, edited FAQ was that it?

Sure, some of those posts perhaps helped me to rationalize my initial feelings. But the fact was I hesitated, I went to purchase and then didn’t. In retrospect its because none of the pre-purchases ‘fit’.

The problem was synergy, or lack thereof. I got held up over the core game getting bundled. Wait, what? Let me explain.

Some investigation showed that I couldn’t separate the core game and the HoT release. I mean if I could bundle HoT with my main and have a 2nd account as a mule I could work with that. But no. Even with the subsequent posts explaining the core was getting bundled free it didn’t matter. The momentum was lost, I hesitated. Now I’m reading about how much it costs, with no extra character slot and veteran entitled players.

The process went like this:
I saw the standard edition and thought ok maybe that, but I already have the core game. So it wasn’t that one. Next!
Deluxe, maybe this one? Extra slot awesome but again the core game which i didn’t need.
The gems were ok for the ultimate edition but same thing.

It’s kind of amusing to realize I got held up over something that perhaps if it had been reworded or presented to me in a different way I would have pre-purchased.

But I didn’t and the best explanation I can give was because it didn’t ‘fit’. Then of course I started reading the forums (big mistake). Was it to expensive? Why no character slot? Hesitation grew into doubt.

I mean I’ll still get HoT at some point most likely, I’m an avid GW2 player but my attitude has changed. I went from 100% pre-purchse to ‘when I get round to it’. I’m not trying to argue that my perspective is ‘logical’ other than this why I didn’t pre-purchase despite saying I would….

Perhaps some people will still say it’s my problem, which I guess it is, but I don’t know what to say other than I REALLY wanted to pre-purchase, but then stopped because it didn’t ‘fit’.

The only thing I can say is that marketing REALLY needs to consider the definition of ‘barriers’ because that’s what I hit (real or imagined) and would have pre-purchased otherwise.

This.
For me it wasn’t just the inclusion of the core that made me pause but the inclusion of the core AND the lack of a character slot at Basic.
I was all for buying the pre-order and justifying the $100 Ultimate to my wife (I mean, I still need to buy two more character slots for the professions I haven’t made yet, and I plan on playing a long time, so this isn’t a terrible deal).
But I saw the way the packaging was done, felt it wasn’t right, went through the FAQ, still didn’t find what I was looking for, and ended up in this quagmire.

To me this is a horrible marketing fail.
If Basic had included a character slot there would have been $150 – $200 in sales from my wife and I that night.
Now we’re both feeling cautious, wanting to see what the response is to the generally negative community response, see reviews of the expansion, and so on.
From reading the general initial reason for pause / hesitation from the community was the lack of a character slot at the Basic price point. Why as a marketing decision would you want to provide a basis for doubt from your current user basis from handing you money?

Scoundrel.2139

I can’t really buy into this argument, pardon the pun. I wouldn’t go to my local {insert shop with membership} and say “I bought stuff last week. I got what I bought and I like it. But I want to now retro-actively use that money spent as credit toward a future discount”.

I may have missed your point, and if I have I apologise, but I think I got it.

Veni, Vidi, Victa.

khani.4786

that is false, i have a mail from support that states explicitly that the the expansion will never be sold separately from the core game

Then this new version of GW2 is now the core game. GW2: HoT is not an expansion in the traditional sense, it is GW2.5 and they’re essentially making it so that veteran players have to re-buy the game to get the new content. It’s a paid update to the game (which if it could be bought separate would be an expansion pack). Core + HoT as they’re selling is not a bundle because you don’t get two separate items. There is no core, only HoT.

Posted by: Silhouette.5631

Silhouette.5631

I’m pre buying the expansion whether I know whats in it or not. Here’s the logic.

Fact: It has to do with a dragon.

Fact: There are multiple dragons in the game.

Assumption: This means an expansion for each dragon.

Or: I get two dragons in 1 expansion (yay)

Fact: Zhaitan live in Orr, Orr had 3 maps. Zhaitan also hogged about half our personal story line.

Fact: They wouldn’t dare make a dragons storyline shorter than Scarlets….Seriously Anet if your reading this don’t do that to us.

Fact: Ive logged about 3000 hours on my guardian since buying this game. I bought the game for 60 dollars

Fact: That’s $.02 an hour people. That’s a dollar for 50 hours of gameplay. R.I.P. console games.

Fact: New players are getting the game for free with the expansion because 100 bucks for an MMO is a kick in the balls. Also they have not gotten to play it for the last 3 years like the rest of us. We paid for the last 3 years. Remember those nights you didn’t have a girl to go out with and you instead logged on and partied with your guildys? Yeah, that’s what you paid for.

Fact: This isn’t going to be the only expansion. Anet is a company. Companies like to make money. Companies make money by players buying their product. Getting us to buy future expansions means this ones gotta be good so ITS GONNA BE GOOD. It just makes $ sense. Greed is an amazingly dependable thing

Additional info: I’m a smurfing cashier right now and I don’t want to hear any of yall complaining about how expensive things are. Go mow a couple lawns. Make some cash. Buy the expansion. Go mow some more so your buddy can afford it too and join you in the game. That’s what I’m doing and its worth it.

Posted by: MattyP.6954

MattyP.6954

Hooray! Optimism!

I’m going to buy the expansion, but it’ll probably just be a couple days before launch so I can predownload it. I don’t really have interest in the betas.

Server — Fort Aspenwood
Mains — Mathias of the Wood [Ranger]; Collaborator Bluatt [Engineer]
Alts — Necromancer, Warrior, Elementalist

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

Hooray! Optimism!

I’m going to buy the expansion, but it’ll probably just be a couple days before launch so I can predownload it. I don’t really have interest in the betas.

You’ll be downloading it anyway, just wont have access to the new stuff. Anet isnt going to maintain two dat files for people who don’t want to upgrade.

Posted by: ReiCH.6273

ReiCH.6273

Then this new version of GW2 is now the core game. GW2: HoT is not an expansion in the traditional sense, it is GW2.5 and they’re essentially making it so that veteran players have to re-buy the game to get the new content. It’s a paid update to the game (which if it could be bought separate would be an expansion pack). Core + HoT as they’re selling is not a bundle because you don’t get two separate items. There is no core, only HoT.

That doesn’t make it any better. What you’re saying is this basically: we’re changing the rules and you either have to rebuy the game or lose all your progress. Feels like an extortion to me. Pay up or else. And they’ll keep on doing that for every expansion. We’re changing the core game, buy it again. Nope, nope and nope.

In most games, Casuals are the majority. In GW2, Casuals are the game. Azumi.9572

Posted by: Silhouette.5631

Silhouette.5631

Your right. It is abit optimistic but…

True story: I bought the game thinking Wvw was gona be awsome. I HATE WvW. Yet I’ve still managed to log 3k hours sooooo Im happy

Scoundrel.2139

There is no core, only HoT.

There is no core. Only Zuul!

Attachments:

Veni, Vidi, Victa.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

She would have been cheaper though.

Posted by: Jitsuryoku.9038

Jitsuryoku.9038

I can’t really buy into this argument, pardon the pun. I wouldn’t go to my local {insert shop with membership} and say “I bought stuff last week. I got what I bought and I like it. But I want to now retro-actively use that money spent as credit toward a future discount”.

It’s more of a: Ok, so you bought a nice living room table andyou come back to the store you bought it at and say “Hi I would like to buy some chairs” and you are responded with “Here you go, they all come with tables. You, however, get a set at full price without a table because you already have one”

khani.4786

<3 thank you for catching that reference.

Anchoku.8142

Honest question here:

Did you get what you paid for when you bought gems?

Don’t be a fool. Arenanet’s only income is from real money. Various virtual thingies offered on the BLTP for gems are enticements and rewards for spending gems. Players who grind gold are privileged to be able to exchange gold for gems but game gold pays no one’s salary.

Grow up. If gamers treat developers as unpaid volunteers, they will shut it down and leave to find work that pays.

Players who think they are entitled to perpetual improvements, expansions, balances, etc. without continued real costs are not customers Arenanet wants but continues to cater to.

By the way, if more players purchased gems with real money, maybe the HoT release price would have been lower.

Posted by: Slyfer.6478

Slyfer.6478

If the expansion really costs 50 euros i don’t mind paying it, given there is enough content to justify the cost. 50 euros is a price that competes with AAA titles that offer thousands of hours of gameplay (yes this is an MMO but the amount of content would have to be as much as the base game was on release). I’m personally sitting out the pre-purchase till i know what i’m paying for, i wont be buying it if the expansion is actually worth ~30 euros and people we’re tricked into paying for the base game again. Till we get more info i’ll try to stay unbiased. Thank you for all your hard work ANET and for taking the feedback into consideration!

EDIT: Before i get flamed for being ‘entitled’ 50 euros is about half my rent, while for most it’s a few meals, where i come from every 10 euros matters.

(edited by Slyfer.6478)

Posted by: heydurian.6459

heydurian.6459

i need to said sorry first,because my english very weak.
many people complained anet sold the bundle .
$50 bundle for new players this is a best chooice for them
this is unfair for veteran, however you can see that anet have a $99 bundle
For Veteran m$50 bundle they just can get hots. but $99-$50(4000GEM)=$49
we can get many extra item.
it make many people go to buy $100.
Remember, ncsoft just care the total income. they don’t care how many people pre-order hots. $99bundle x1 = $50 bundle x2
now, you know that why ncsoft still do not change anything, since many people go to buy $99 bundle

Posted by: gregor lightbringer.7143

gregor lightbringer.7143

$50 for the core AND HoT? yes. For just HoT the base expansion? No. That is my issue. Simply that. I don’t NEED another copy of GW2. I already have another account from when my daughters tried to play and I claimed it when they stopped. I don’t intend to put HoT on that one until I know how it goes. I am not INTERESTED in paying for something I don’t need.
HOWEVER, I have bought core games like that when they included bunches of other expansions when it was cheaper to do it that way on steam. They provided the option for another CD key for that core game and any other expansion/DLC I had already purchased.

Anchoku.8142

You clearly do not realize this actually does work like this in real life. Sellers do give discounts to repeat and volume purchase customers.

Posted by: Jermoe Morrow.9501

Jermoe Morrow.9501

So you are saying standard is designed to be unpalatable on purpose, so that we will buy the ultimate addition? Yeah, that’s pretty obvious.

80s(name-race/class):Jermoe Morrow(main) – H/Ra
Blue Dorito-S/Re|Transitor-S/En |Tina Feyspirit-N/M|
Bmoe-A/T|Peter Whatsherface-H/G|Acolyte Rin-H/N

Posted by: Rufus.2651

Rufus.2651

We old players get the shaft. Newcomers pay 50 for the base game + the expansion, and veterans just get the expansion for the same price? Not even a char slot? Kind of a slap in the face.

Posted by: AzureSky.3175

AzureSky.3175

A ‘veteran’ buying the 50$ expansion gets:

• HoT
  • 1 additional character slot

A new player buying the 50$ expansion gets:

• HoT
  • the base game

No one would have ever raged, no one would have ever felt treated unfair, neither new players, nor veterans.

khani.4786

Here’s a question I haven’t seen asked.

We know you can’t buy HoT without the core game.

However…

Will we ever be able to buy JUST the core game again?

(I want a $10 base game for a second account. I don’t need or want the expansions on my alt account)

Posted by: Taiyoroku.1028

Taiyoroku.1028

Is epic how people are still posting on again and again and again… about how expensive is something that they haven’t buy yet… just dont… and wait, maybe something change, maybe not….