HoT Price Feedback + Base game included [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

its a video game either you buy or dont simple. as. that all this forum nonsense is uncalled for and your physical lifes are not affected by it in any shape or form if it is then thats a you problem no reason to drag the rest of us along with you on your pity fest for your own mistake

Why are you defending a company that just scammed a lot of its customers? Isn’t this forum the only place where such grievances should be vented? People paid real money for this, and so it does affect their lives. Anet should be held accountable. I’d be furious if there wasn’t this huge kittenstorm about it.

In other news, it seems that Anet has finally decided to respond to… oh… no wait…. they are doing something else…

How has A-net scammed anyone? They were not allowed to sell a price lower than $50; they decided it was best to give new players a break who have not had the 3+ years we had to progress; and no one is being forced to buy HoT right now. Feel free to purchase it later after they release more information.

This isn’t scamming, this is just an over-inflation result of some poor communication choices and unfortunate standards.

Have you taken a look at the before and after FAQ on HoT? And the fact that the people that already own the game and have owned the game cannot purchase just the expansion, they don’t even give you the option. It’s similar to going to buy tires for your car and they will only sell you a car and throw some tires in for free. We don’t want to pay the price of a brand new car just to get a new set of tires, we just want to buy the tires. I don’t think people believe it is a scam, but it is definitely the opposite of the vision that Arena-net has portrayed in the past and if this is the new vision, I think a lot of players would like to know that up front so that they may find another game that is worth their time and money. It’s apparently never occurred to the person(s) in charge of this pricing & marketing scheme, that if you simply give people what they are asking for they will be content. We just don’t want to pay the new car price for a set of tires & we want the option to buy just the tires, I don’t see what is so difficult about that, and it isn’t asking for anything different than what 100% of other companies provide, Anet seems to be the only ones who don’t get it.

I have. Actually, just purchasing the expansion is the only option (excluding the other packages bonuses). Your analogy makes sense logically, but the semantics are off. You are going to buy tires, sure, but you don’t buy a whole new car — you just buy the tires. The difference is people who have not had the car up until this point are able to purchase the tires w/ the car for roughly the same price. This is fair seeing as your car is super tricked out by now and probably is loaded with goodies, while theirs doesn’t even have a sterio.

This is just one more example of poor communication. That’s the Heat of this Thorn-y issue (I’m sorry, I had too).

NSPride <3

Posted by: matrix seishin.5312

matrix seishin.5312

I am waiting for fanboys to comment when expansion goes out , when they start to rage “where is my 50$ content you promised”

I read somewhere that expansion will go out on 31.12.2015 so this waiting is gonna be looong one.

That info is probably invalid but even if it is – WOOOW… fanboys have to wait half a year to know exactly what they paid for now. And what if they lower the price a bit in that time? There will be even more rage.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

You are going to buy tires, sure, but you don’t buy a whole new car — you just buy the tires. The difference is people who have not had the car up until this point are able to purchase the tires w/ the car for roughly the same price.

Buys 4 tires for the price of a whole car. Calls that “fair”. Makes sense.

Posted by: Silent The Gray.3091

Silent The Gray.3091

its a video game either you buy or dont simple. as. that all this forum nonsense is uncalled for and your physical lifes are not affected by it in any shape or form if it is then thats a you problem no reason to drag the rest of us along with you on your pity fest for your own mistake

Why are you defending a company that just scammed a lot of its customers? Isn’t this forum the only place where such grievances should be vented? People paid real money for this, and so it does affect their lives. Anet should be held accountable. I’d be furious if there wasn’t this huge kittenstorm about it.

In other news, it seems that Anet has finally decided to respond to… oh… no wait…. they are doing something else…

How has A-net scammed anyone? They were not allowed to sell a price lower than $50; they decided it was best to give new players a break who have not had the 3+ years we had to progress; and no one is being forced to buy HoT right now. Feel free to purchase it later after they release more information.

This isn’t scamming, this is just an over-inflation result of some poor communication choices and unfortunate standards.

Have you taken a look at the before and after FAQ on HoT? And the fact that the people that already own the game and have owned the game cannot purchase just the expansion, they don’t even give you the option. It’s similar to going to buy tires for your car and they will only sell you a car and throw some tires in for free. We don’t want to pay the price of a brand new car just to get a new set of tires, we just want to buy the tires. I don’t think people believe it is a scam, but it is definitely the opposite of the vision that Arena-net has portrayed in the past and if this is the new vision, I think a lot of players would like to know that up front so that they may find another game that is worth their time and money. It’s apparently never occurred to the person(s) in charge of this pricing & marketing scheme, that if you simply give people what they are asking for they will be content. We just don’t want to pay the new car price for a set of tires & we want the option to buy just the tires, I don’t see what is so difficult about that, and it isn’t asking for anything different than what 100% of other companies provide, Anet seems to be the only ones who don’t get it.

I have. Actually, just purchasing the expansion is the only option (excluding the other packages bonuses). Your analogy makes sense logically, but the semantics are off. You are going to buy tires, sure, but you don’t buy a whole new car — you just buy the tires. The difference is people who have not had the car up until this point are able to purchase the tires w/ the car for roughly the same price. This is fair seeing as your car is super tricked out by now and probably is loaded with goodies, while theirs doesn’t even have a sterio.

This is just one more example of poor communication. That’s the Heat of this Thorn-y issue (I’m sorry, I had too).

Yeah, see, the thing is, they aren’t allowing us the option to just buy a new set of tires though, that’s the point. If we do decide to get a new set of tires we are forced to get a whole new car as well. I don’t want ketchup on my sandwich, but they are only selling a sandwich with ketchup on it and that is their right, they can sell whatever kind of sandwich they want for whatever price they determine, but I will take my business elsewhere, just as many others will, so that I may buy the sandwich that I want.

Posted by: AquaDaze.9804

AquaDaze.9804

Most players didn’t even had the chance to try out the closed-beta to know if there is enough content to justify the cost. The veteran players need to do the leap of faith and pay $50 to know whether it’s worth it. Meanwhile the new players gets a good deal by paying $50 for the core and expansion. Sounds unfair for the veterans here.

(edited by AquaDaze.9804)

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

I am waiting for fanboys to comment when expansion goes out , when they start to rage “where is my 50$ content you promised”

I read somewhere that expansion will go out on 31.12.2015 so this waiting is gonna be looong one.

That info is probably invalid but even if it is – WOOOW… fanboys have to wait half a year to know exactly what they paid for now. And what if they lower the price a bit in that time? There will be even more rage.

Exactly, If sales go wrong (it will) they will need to put down prices and you’ll se what is rage then xD

Razor.9872

Yeah, see, the thing is, they aren’t allowing us the option to just buy a new set of tires though, that’s the point. If we do decide to get a new set of tires we are forced to get a whole new car as well. I don’t want ketchup on my sandwich, but they are only selling a sandwich with ketchup on it and that is their right, they can sell whatever kind of sandwich they want for whatever price they determine, but I will take my business elsewhere, just as many others will, so that I may buy the sandwich that I want.

Yes, yes they are just giving you the option to buy the set of tires. You are just confused because the tires are the same price as what you previously paid for your car. You are not forced to buy anything. Hell, by all means, if it makes you feel better in the slightest, then just wait a while for them to release more information first.

Another anolgoy? Alrighty, here goes… :P

The thing about this magic ketchup is it doesn’t show up unless you have never eaten a sandwich before (feaking creepy ketchup).

It’s always saddening to hear good players such as yourself leaving, but I can’t — and won’t -- hold you back. If anything, I hope you find what you are looking for :\

NSPride <3

matrix seishin.5312

Not bad communication, simply unfair. You buy a car 3 years ago, spend time tricking it out. Now you buy new tires for the same price as the car was back then just because someone wants to buy those new tires but doesn’t have a car. That makes no sense. 3 years ago people bought the game and spent all this time developing characters. Now they want to buy expansion but they pay the same price as someone who does not have the game – he gets it for free just because he didn’t play for 3 years. Whether he gets it for free with 50$ expansion, or buys both separately for a bit more is the same in relation to his lack of development. New players get a discount, old players get the finger.

Razor.9872

Most players didn’t even had the chance to try out the closed-beta to know if there is enough content to justify the cost. The veteran players need to do the leap of faith and pay $50 to know whether it’s worth it. Meanwhile the new players gets a good deal by paying $50 for the core and expansion. Sounds unfair for the veterans here.

If it’s information you want, then just wait. Noone is forcing you to pay now.

NSPride <3

Razor.9872

Not bad communication, simply unfair. You buy a car 3 years ago, spend time tricking it out. Now you buy new tires for the same price as the car was back then just because someone wants to buy those new tires but doesn’t have a car. That makes no sense. 3 years ago people bought the game and spent all this time developing characters. Now they want to buy expansion but they pay the same price as someone who does not have the game – he gets it for free just because he didn’t play for 3 years. Whether he gets it for free with 50$ expansion, or buys both separately for a bit more is the same in relation to his lack of development. New players get a discount, old players get the finger.

That makes perfect sense in my opinion. You have had 3 years to trick out your awesome car (which has clearly risen in value). They get a crummy lemon with the potential to be as good 3 years from now.

If it’s compansation you want, then the only thing I can imagine is if they threw in an extra seat for vet car owners.

But really this whole shinannigan is just one fat overblown sense of entitlement.

NSPride <3

matrix seishin.5312

That makes perfect sense in my opinion. You have had 3 years to trick out your awesome car (which has clearly risen in value). They get a crummy lemon with the potential to be as good 3 years from now.

If it’s compansation you want, then the only thing I can imagine is if they threw in an extra seat for vet car owners.

But really this whole shinannigan is just one fat overblown sense of entitlement.

I see your point. But in that case 50$ for the expansion is a bit much. It wont have the same amount of content as the game 3 years ago, but it is the same price. I can’t compare to GW1 since I didn’t play it. But I know that making new content got harder since then. A character slot and a 10$ decrease in the price would be perfect… I would settle just for slot too.

Posted by: Neltisen.6891

Neltisen.6891

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

Guys, simple as that, you don’t like the pricing model / content as it is now ? so don’t pre-purchase, just action the money lever, since this is all about money…

Anyone that’s read more than a couple posts in this thread should know that there are much larger issues than the expected cost-to-content ration. Most notably, the fact that Anet has spent the past 6 months selling the core game based on false information, and that the the only options to buy HoT involve existing players paying for a core game key they don’t actually get.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

Posted by: RabbitUp.8294

RabbitUp.8294

Yes, yes they are just giving you the option to buy the set of tires. You are just confused because the tires are the same price as what you previously paid for your car. You are not forced to buy anything. Hell, by all means, if it makes you feel better in the slightest, then just wait a while for them to release more information first.

Another anolgoy? Alrighty, here goes… :P

The thing about this magic ketchup is it doesn’t show up unless you have never eaten a sandwich before (feaking creepy ketchup).

It’s always saddening to hear good players such as yourself leaving, but I can’t — and won’t -- hold you back. If anything, I hope you find what you are looking for :\

Besides the fact you ignore the shady FAQ business, you completely fail at basic economics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_ain't_no_such_thing_as_a_free_lunch

Nobody gives you free cars. There’s a production cost for these cars, as well as an opportunity cost, as the company could sell them for a profit instead of gifting them to you.

You cover these costs.

And while Anet doesn’t sell a physical product, they would still be losing money if they gave GW2 away for free instead of selling it. Instead, the $50 price tag covers both games, with veteran players paying more so that newcomers can get the bundle cheaper.

This whole bet of their relied on marketing smoke-and-mirrors to work. Thankfully, a good portion of the playerbase have above average understanding of economic principles and marketing tricks.

(edited by RabbitUp.8294)

Posted by: Pastafarian.1642

Pastafarian.1642

Signed the petition, not buying the expansion. I feel betrayed. Been playing since day one. All of you who are saying dont buy then and that 50$ is nothing needs a hard hit in the head to wake up.

Not a HoT copy owner

Posted by: papry.8096

papry.8096

You know that this was stress test with only a tiny bit of map ?
If this the content; this doesn’t even warrant 4$.
Seriously leap of faith; I prefer concete information not speculation.

Posted by: Tranquilnelf.1258

Tranquilnelf.1258

Jumping in here, so apologies if I missed any points you may have made in this massive thread.

The point , that a lot of people, including myself are making, is that there is a much higher value being offered to brand new players for their $50 spend.

Agreed , that the base game is not being charged, and that the price tag is for the expansion only, but if you consider the value offered to new players vs the value offered to old gamer, there is a huge apparent difference.

So technically this is how the situation plays out for many people
1. If you are a new player: You get this huge bonus value of 3+ years worth of content
2. If you are an old player: You don’t get any bonus whatsoever. ( The fact that there wasn’t any bonus as such has now become irrelevant simply because the core game to new gamers is being perceived as such )

To some it may seem like entitlement , and in some ways it is , but to a degree it’s also to be expected .
People have spent time into this game, and built a relationship with the company and people that make the game, and quite frankly, for me, such a relationship with gamers and the company is not that commonly seen for a game as big as this. People have spent money in the Gem Store, on and off , many with the reasoning that they are doing it to "support the company " etc etc…
So when the time comes to make a fairly hefty investment, and people that are just starting out seem to get a massive bonus in terms of value for their purchase, it makes the veterans feel that they’ve gotten the short end of the stick , when the truth is , $50 is the price for the expansion only. Period.

I think the main issue is a perception of value. As members of GW for years, we’ve gotten a lot of content for free, Living World and the like. However people rarely remember past value , and more so , many will argue that Anet HAD to provide such content if they wanted their game to be in business.

It’s a very interesting issue that brings about the nature of perception of value over time, to immediate return on investment . I’ll be interested to see how ANet handles this one.

And yes, I do agree with the line of thought, there simply isin’t enough information available on HoT , for me at least, to help justify that price tag. Wait and see seems to be the best approach in that sense

~TNE

Posted by: dragonfighter.4098

dragonfighter.4098

I understand the fact NC Soft told Anet they had to sell a million copies but the way they are going about it is a slap in the face to their loyal players. I feel they should just drop the $50 package cause Heart of Thorns is the new core. Drop the other 2 packages to $50 and $75. most likely they would get their million copies sold quick then. We are all upset with Anet but the true bad guy is NC Soft. Anet just simply chose a bad package offer that really upset their loyal fans that’s all. They may just need to re think it. They may have forgotten the economy and job situation isn’t all that great for a lot of us. I have been looking at all the facts so i can decide if i want to spend what little extra income i have on the game. I feel if Anet would drop the words core game more people would actually buy the expansion. Hell they screwed the core game anyway when the shortened the story line anyway.The true guild wars community whom play regular are just used to getting a couple of toon slots with expansion. Its hard for us not to get what has always been a given. They always create stand alone expansions. So maybe if they take a little time and re think and we all nicely give ideas they may come around and see it our way. And if they need to sell a million copies then they need to change their marketing plan.

Posted by: PorceleinEve.2973

PorceleinEve.2973

You are going to buy tires, sure, but you don’t buy a whole new car — you just buy the tires. The difference is people who have not had the car up until this point are able to purchase the tires w/ the car for roughly the same price.

Buys 4 tires for the price of a whole car. Calls that “fair”. Makes sense.

Don’t be harsh on razor, he really likes the game, and has been white knighting for it for some time now. It’s ok. It’s not like any of us don’t like the game, we’re just not totally in love with it like he is. Give him some room, love does make you a bit blind. (and no this isn’t irony, i totally get were he’s comming from).

mrstealth.6701

The point , that a lot of people, including myself are making, is that there is a much higher value being offered to brand new players for their $50 spend.

Agreed , that the base game is not being charged, and that the price tag is for the expansion only, but if you consider the value offered to new players vs the value offered to old gamer, there is a huge apparent difference.

It’s a fairly safe assumption to say that the base game is not free. It doesn’t really make any sense to say that Anet, over the course of a single day was willing to change their perceived value of the core game from being $40(or $10) to $0. If they did indeed value their game at $0, they would have no issues with giving that “free” copy to all existing players that buy HoT.

But this is just simply not how business works. Everything has a value, and “free” products have their cost recouped. Included in that $50 is some minimal amount that Anet is willing to sell that product for. And it’s probably lower than it would be if veteran players also got that copy, because all of the vets that pay them $50 are still paying for it yet not getting it.

Anet can claim all they want to that the expansion alone is $50, but they have already stated that we won’t see it sold without the core game. As customers, we have no way of knowing the true price of a product if it is always being sold as a bundle.

It’s no different than buy one, get one free offers. These are products they are already willing to sell at significant discounts, but don’t expect to see that much discount along with the BOGO offer. It’s marketing to create the illusion of a better deal, when in fact BOGO is in fact the same as 50% off.

It’s the same concept stores use when they try to draw you in with lower prices. If they’re undercutting their competitors on a few items, they are making up for that by having higher prices on other items.

(edited by mrstealth.6701)

PorceleinEve.2973

Can I ask a question here? For all the people who say that 55 euros for the expansion (45 for the expansion and 10 euros for the character slot i’ll have to buy) is an ok deal since the game doesn’t have sub fees. Does that mean that if the game HAD sub fees, it would be a bad deal?

Posted by: Amroth.2170

Amroth.2170

First off, is there a law somewhere that says ANet can’t release paid content for less than $50? They have a goal to hit in terms of revenue and copies sold, nothing says what the pricing on the different purchase options has to be in order to hit that goal. Unless you’re suggesting they’re beholden to Daewoo Securities, in which case I weep for ANet if their business decisions are now being based around the auguries of an investment firm.

And isn’t communication a very important part of this business? If players are upset because ANet repeatedly drops the ball in communicating effectively with their playerbase, than they’re just as at fault in my eyes. It’s a critical part of running this business. They can’t keep making these changes that appear to have ulterior motives, then handwave and say “sorry we only have the best intentions, it was a failure of communication”.

(edited by Amroth.2170)

Posted by: Ronah Lynda.2496

Ronah Lynda.2496

To sell an expansion at the price of a full game MUST include 20+ new zones, 300+ PoIs, 100+ skill challanges, 150+ Vistas, 300+ Heart quests and ~20 episodes of Personal Story.

(edited by Ronah Lynda.2496)

mrstealth.6701

First off, is there a law somewhere that says ANet can’t release paid content for less than $50? They have a goal to hit in terms of revenue and copies sold, nothing says what the pricing on the different purchase options has to be in order to hit that goal. Unless you’re suggesting they’re beholden to Daewoo Securities, in which case I weep for ANet if their business decisions are now being based around the auguries of an investment firm.

^this

We don’t know what NC/investor expectations for Anet are, aside from projected profits. And in the end, they really shouldn’t care all that much how Anet meets that expected, just that they do it. If they can sell the 20% more copies priced 20% less, they still meet that projection. And do so with more potential gem buyers, and a larger veteran playerbase for the next expansion.

It’s a ‘game’ of trying to find the sweet spot of charging enough to make the money with the number of interested customers, without the price being so high that it drives away too many of them. They could price it at $5 or $200, but in either case they would be very unlikely to meet their projections.

matrix seishin.5312

I think they get it by now. Old players are upset that they don’t get stuff equal to the value that new players get. It suck, I know.

Simple solution:
If you don’t like the price – don’t buy anything. I’m not, not yet anyway. Not until they change it to something I’m willing to agree with.

Posted by: Nana.3618

Nana.3618

I think they get it by now. Old players are upset that they don’t get stuff equal to the value that new players get. It suck, I know.

Simple solution:
If you don’t like the price – don’t buy anything. I’m not, not yet anyway. Not until they change it to something I’m willing to agree with.

I agree and I’m completely with you on this. Unless Anet changes their policy, there’s no way that I’m buying their “expansion”.

Posted by: Benjamin.7458

Benjamin.7458

This is only a game’s pre-purchase, nothing more. All who have already pre-purchase it have been bought big in a poke, without seeing the product. They have a faith that expansion will have enough content for that money what Anet asks for.

Those who haven’t bought it yet, haven’t bail themselves out yet from expansion. They want to see what they will get to their money, does it have enough content, is it worth to buy. There is plenty of time to buy product when it comes on the market and even then when it comes to first discounts. That’s how marketing works, first comes those (innovators) who will spend their money for the product, no matter what it cost, then comes those (majority of the users) whom want to see is it worth to buy product and then finally comes those who will only buy when product is cheap and “old” for those first rushers a.k.a innovators.

Why Anet choose this time to open pre-purchase? It is because E3. Maybe they wanted to brag about how fast that pre-purchased started and how many million copies they have sold in few days. Now… they can not brag about anything, everybody in E3 is laughing at them. Their marketing department fail them badly and they got total ashamed in E3.

I haven’t pre-purchase game yet. I want to see first is it worth to put my money in it.

Posted by: Ronah Lynda.2496

Ronah Lynda.2496

1 year later…..GW2 the Mist Dragon includes GW2 heart of Thorns + The Mist Dragon expansion. We offer it as a bundle for new players….

For those who didn’t “get it”, we’ll need to buy 3 times the GW2, becasue as it is now, GW2HoT is the core game and no more GW2.

(edited by Ronah Lynda.2496)

Posted by: moonstarmac.4603

moonstarmac.4603

When Guild Wars 2 preorders went live I reserved my copy of the Collectors Edition immediately. I’m debating on which version to pick up with HoT, still somewhat disappointed with the lack of a CE. I was hoping that ArenaNet would ultimately release all of Destiny’s Edge statues as they started with Rytlock. The Deluxe has only a so-so appeal as I have character slots available and I’m not really crazy on the whole ‘got to collect em all’ thing with minis or special skins.

I do see where other vet player’s are coming from with the whole pricing and inclusion of the base game with HoT thing, a similar issue happened when they launched the Heroic Edition with those who bought the Deluxe or Collectors Editions as we did not get any of those items (unless we got into the recent HoT betas that is).

Anyway, the only thing I think could make the base HoT a little better for prepurchase would be to add a choice of the following: Character Slot, Mini Rev Rytlock, Glider Skin, Rev Finisher. You could pick which of these you want. Or just putting a Character Slot onto it…that would work too.

Jade Council~ Jade Sea Haven [JADE]
System – Luna One: R-Matrix
https://pcpartpicker.com/b/Ny4qqs

Posted by: Tranquilnelf.1258

Tranquilnelf.1258

It’s a fairly safe assumption to say that the base game is not free. It doesn’t really make any sense to say that Anet, over the course of a single day was willing to change their perceived value of the core game from being $40(or $10) to $0. If they did indeed value their game at $0, they would have no issues with giving that “free” copy to all existing players that buy HoT.

This is true. The current market value of the core GW 2 game is certainly not free. As a separate product it does indeed have a non zero price tag, just that when it comes bundled with HoT expansion it seems to be offered as a massive 100% discount.
It’s good for new players, and I love that ANet is offering such a deal. For the new player, they get all the core game, all the original LS content plus a new expansion all in the same price. For the existing player however it does leave a slight sour taste in the mouth

I just hope there is enough of the expansion to justify the price instead.

Posted by: Amroth.2170

Amroth.2170

I’m waiting for now. I love GW2 and have played since launch, but the principle behind what they’re doing I cannot support. Pre-purchase is usually a bad idea anyway. Better to wait and see if ANet/NCSoft relents on their purchase options, and to see if the content justifies the cost.

Posted by: papry.8096

papry.8096

1 year later…..GW2 the Mist Dragon includes GW2 heart of Thorns + The Mist Dragon expansion. We offer it as a bundle for new players….

For those who didn’t “get it”, we’ll need to buy 3 times the GW2, becasue as it is now, GW2HoT is the core game and no more GW2.

You are wrong on one point newplayer of HoT will have for 2 times the price after all.

So instead if the same offer for 2 groups; we will have the same offer for 3 groups.
Imagine the debacle that this will provoke.
I can’t wait

(edited by papry.8096)

Posted by: HeliaXDemoN.1208

HeliaXDemoN.1208

Looks like they will not be giving anything for us, they are marketing the game a lot to convince everyone that is worth the price.

Posted by: CrimsonDX.4821

CrimsonDX.4821

The funny thing about all of this is that you people are complaining about Anet betraying you when it is most likely NCsoft, not Anet, are the ones who determine pricing and things like this. NCsoft is a Korean company, and respecting customers is not something they do in Korea.

PorceleinEve.2973

The funny thing about all of this is that you people are complaining about Anet betraying you when it is most likely NCsoft, not Anet, are the ones who determine pricing and things like this. NCsoft is a Korean company, and respecting customers is not something they do in Korea.

Not the customer’s problem. Customers don’t need to assume responsibility for the choices of a company.

Posted by: Tai Kratos.3247

Tai Kratos.3247

I understand that the base game is included as a “bonus”, but the issue is that Anet already shafted original veterans once with the initial release. We prepurchased the game once and then a month or two later, new players get all sorts of bonus content for buying the game at the same price tier, and for a lower price. (The price part makes sense, but not giving late comers by a few weeks a bonus and prepurchasers nothing.)

It may make sense on a business end, but this decision was a poor one on several levels: it continues the trend of Anet coming across as out of touch with their player base, it continues the trend of Anet changing their promises without commentary or apology, and it continues the trend of Anet rewarding newcomers while ignoring their core player base that has been with them for longer.

If someone can buy the game and expansion for $50, then I would pay $30. Right now I really don’t buy into the idea that it is $50 for an expansion with a bonus original GW2 thrown in because there is no other purchasing option for GW2 right now: just the expansion, making it the definitive edition.

I preordered GW2 and played in the original betas. I am not going to prepurchase this and I am not going to play it at launch. I’m going to wait for the cheap version with the bonus stuff added later to come out, because that’s what Anet does.

Posted by: xeerus.1645

xeerus.1645

I want to ask the devs a question that is not in this post of seriously lame flames. When I bought the ultimate edition. I saw character slot, unlimited set for harvesting, etc. Is that coming with HoT’s release? I already received the gems, miniature, decoration, and glider.

To be honest, I would pay again. Not because that I play Guild Wars 2 constantly, but because I support it. I like the option of the standard having the original. Maybe we get some fresh blood to straighten out the wrinkles.

If a dev can clarify the other items upon redeeming the serial code with ultimate edition. It would be nice, and yes, flame on. It doesn’t bother me.

Posted by: Fiddle Irk.9710

Fiddle Irk.9710

In the words of Doctor Evil, “Oy! throw me a bone here!”
Is it really too much for Anet to ask, after three years of continuous update and development, that they get a refresh on their capital? And for crying out loud, is $50 really that much? You spent that 3 years ago and if you got the core game for that measly $10, that means the game and expansion costed you what, $60? OMG! Uninstall and quit and you’ll probably pay near the same for another game, or seriously downgrade to a kitten “free to download and play” (and on those you usually end up spending more because they have them rigged that way)
As far as the “math” goes, $50 for thousands of hours of entertainment vs how many movies could you see at the theater for that? How many sports game could you got to for that? How many dates could you go on for that? (more likely how many pizza’s and porn could you buy for that?)
$50 is small potatoes, spend 5~10 hours that you would be gaming at a menial job and there ya go. Crybabies…….

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

Thanks for the constructive post! Feel better now?

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

You and some others don’t seem to grasp the concept. Calling customers whiners or “crybabies” because we won’t buy something isn’t going to make us buy it. That’s what children do in a store to get what they want, it’s called a tantrum.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Is it really too much for Anet to ask, after three years of continuous update and development, that they get a refresh on their capital?

Yes. They are the ones who decided upon their payment model. The model they chose is one where everything they’ve provided without a gem pricetag is covered by the initial purchase price. We don’t have to take any of it into account when we look at the expansion.

They’re not “entitled” (there’s that word again!) to emotional goodwill from players, although some may give that freely.

Posted by: SmudgerUK.4715

SmudgerUK.4715

You shouldn’t assume that because pizzas and porn is a date for you, that it’s the same for everybody else.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

I dont think 50 euro is too much at all. But I cant help compare it to the full game, that was also around 50 euro( I bought the collectors so not sure) and I got more content and guess what. 5 slots for my chars. So for this 50 euro expansion you bet I kinda expect the same.

Posted by: Fiddle Irk.9710

Fiddle Irk.9710

I’m sorry, but the tantrum is being thrown buy the people crying about the cost. I really don’t care if you buy it or not, I just feel all this whining is pathetic and I believe I made a valid point in; as far as value for money goes, how many hours of entertainment are you going to get for the same $50 elsewhere?

Posted by: mcwurth.2081

mcwurth.2081

can’t wait for the boxed version! sad there is not coming an colloctors edition (I hope they change their minds about that REALLY!)

Posted by: Swizzle.7982

Swizzle.7982

So in response to the “crybabies” you make a post crying about how your opinions are right and the people you disagree with are all wrong.

Well done.

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

I’m sorry, but the tantrum is being thrown buy the people crying about the cost. I really don’t care if you buy it or not, I just feel all this whining is pathetic and I believe I made a valid point in; as far as value for money goes, how many hours of entertainment are you going to get for the same $50 elsewhere?

Value for my money isn’t your point to make It’s my decision alone. The issue isn’t that I don’t like the deal I’m one man with 2 accounts, the issue is I’m far from alone in my judgement that the expansion is not worth it.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

@OP

It’s not about the money. It’s what you get for that money. If you are happy wasting $50 on $25 worth of dlc and a feature patch then good for you. We do not agree with that pricing and it is our rights as consumers to ask for a better deal. Quite frankly, I wish more people would exercise that right instead of just blindly pulling out their wallet. Wether we get a better deal remains to be seen but you can’t stop us from trying. My moto “Never pay full price for anything”.

The size of this kittenstorm is just a good indicator of how many people disagree with the deal they are being offered.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

(edited by Julie Yann.5379)

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

as far as value for money goes, how many hours of entertainment are you going to get for the same $50 elsewhere?

Since I don’t have a clue yet by how much the expansion will extend my enjoyment of the game, because they haven’t disclosed the complete list of features yet, I can’t answer that. What they’ve shown so far doesn’t show much promise to me.

Posted by: SmudgerUK.4715

SmudgerUK.4715

I don’t think the cost is the main issue for most. No additional slots in the standard edition is what did it for me. If it had even just one single additional slot, this would have been a storm in a teacup.