HoT Price Feedback + Base game included [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Omanasei.7561

Omanasei.7561

I bought the game long before free to play, so then what rewards do I reap and, shouldn’t those of us who owned the game before be given some sort of discount on the Heart Of Thorns DLC? Also, if this isn’t the proper are for this topic, where should I put it instead?

Posted by: Eggshells.1748

Eggshells.1748

The reward you got from being a veteran is all the special events like Scarlett’s attack on Lions Arch etc.. AKA the special experiences/memories.

The game went on $10 sales in the past.

You don’t get a discount on HoT.. Vet or F2P, everyone pays the same amount.

Posted by: NTDK.4897

NTDK.4897

Your rewards are the time and contents that you enjoyed for the past years that new players won’t be able to experience and play. As for the Play For Free players, they can’t enjoy the game restriction free like you can (go read more on all the restrictions they have)

this has already been discussed here
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/HoT-Price-Feedback-Base-game-included-merged

ign: Larxene Rakushinu
Incoming Quaggans [iQ]

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Free Outfit, no, link posted above.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

@Omanasei.7561
The F2P is more like an extended trial so people can try before they buy. You aren’t losing out just because the game has a free trial option.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: freedomgeass.4756

freedomgeass.4756

You get the following for paying for the game:
All the time since you payed for the game till now.
The ability to play season one of the living world if you where around when that was being released.
All of season 2 for free if you where still active at that time.
A free outfit. (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Royal_Guard_Outfit)
A free toon slot if you preorder HOT. (https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/pre-purchase-community-address/)
No account restrictions.
if i missed anything please let me know. what more do you want? A refund? there a business not a charity.

karma booster? What karma Booster.

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

If u just activated a paid account today you get

1. No Free to play restrictions on your account
2. Daily rewards (the laurels alone are worth 55g/Month)
3. free outfit
4. Free dragon mini
5. 4 character slots instead of two

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Posted by: MLGRinaril.7128

MLGRinaril.7128

I think its bullkitten if we dont get HOT for free if we paid for the core game before i spent 70 bucks on mine 2 year’s ago, and i dont think it’s right to release HOT with Free core game to all player’s Let us up or let us play a little into hot or something. It’s not really good for a company to just Drop veterans and loyal player’s like that.

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

Here we go again..

Posted by: Eldbrand Charging.8902

Eldbrand Charging.8902

I think its bullkitten if we dont get HOT for free if we paid for the core game before i spent 70 bucks on mine 2 year’s ago, and i dont think it’s right to release HOT with Free core game to all player’s Let us up or let us play a little into hot or something. It’s not really good for a company to just Drop veterans and loyal player’s like that.

2 years ago? Your no veteran.

Posted by: gamerinachair.4057

gamerinachair.4057

This thread has been had and tried many many times. Post your concerns in the HoT Price Feedback + Base game included thread (where many people have posted nearly the exact same thing).

You can find said thread here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/HoT-Price-Feedback-Base-game-included-merged/first

“If we do not end war, war will end us.” -H.G. Wells

Posted by: InsidiousWaffle.7086

InsidiousWaffle.7086

the reasoning is that you had 2 years of content that u paid for, which f2p didnt get. They arent going to give you the xpac for free

Posted by: The one to Rule.2593

The one to Rule.2593

Why the hell would we get it for free? we paid for the game years ago and since have had to pay zero monthly fees, add the cost of monthly fees up for 3 years and it far outweighs the expansion cost, stop acting like arena net owes you anything.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

if you don’t clock 8k hours you are no veteran…. no free HoT for you…

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Every MMO, more or less, charges everyone for new expansions. These include pay a sub every month ones, too.

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

You got 2 years of play for $70, type /age into GW2 chat and tell me you didn’t get value for money.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

So…we know that there will be no character slot included in the core edition of HoT upon release. Understood. But what about the free core GW2 game? Do new players still get the free core game with the purchase of HoT after release?

If not, how do new players acquire the core game after release? How much does it cost?

If so, how are veterans being treated equally with a scheme in which new players get their bonus regardless of when they purchase HoT, while veterans only get their bonus if they pre-purchase (and won’t get anything once HoT actually releases)?

Seems like a double standard, unless I have misunderstood how this works.

You misunderstood how this works.

Why, thank you kindly. Care to explain?

ETA: And by “explain”, I mean answer the questions of whether or not new customers still receive the core GW2 game when purchasing HoT after release, and if not, how much the core game costs them.

They do still get the core game for free as they’re applying HoT towards a new (or F2P) account. This was stated in their blog back in June.

What you’re not understanding is that a company is not required to provide bonus incentives to any customers for the purchase of its product. Nor are they required to be equitable amongst their customer segments when it comes to purchase incentives. This practice is common out in the real world. Cable and phone companies often give discounts to new customers, for example.

You have to realize that prices tend to fall over time so newer players will normally get a better deals than those who were early adopters. This goes for many things outside of the game as well. How much do you think players spent to purchase Prophecies, Factions, and Nightfall when they were first released? Those are now selling as a trilogy for $30. How about Prophecies and EotN? Those two are selling as a set for $20. In fact, those who purchase both products only get a single copy of GW as the Prophecies/EotN bundle has only a single product key.

You’re also discounting all of the time that existing players have had to play the game over new players including any and all content that cannot be experienced again. How many new players will be able to experience the assault on the Ancient Karka or witness the destruction of LA?

New players also have to start from scratch. If existing players want the same deal as new players have, apply the HoT product code to a new account. You’ll be on the same equal footing as new players minus all of the knowledge and experiences that you have acquired from playing the game.

Posted by: dane.4638

dane.4638

I have been loosing more and more respect for ANET over the past month or 2. Likewise I have lost a lot of respect for Wooden Potatoes. I disagree with their business model for the game and the fact that all of the cool things are totally tailored towards elitists (though there is a fair bit of catering towards new players). I just dont see much that I feel is for me in GW2 anymore with HoT. Wooden potatoes has no job, kids or wife to spend time on and therefore thinks that all the best content should be only accessible to those like him who can spend 100 hours a week in game and are in the top “5%” of players in the game. It seems that ANET takes his opinion as the official opinion of the GW2 player base which is not accurate. Charging your early supporters this price to get the expansion and giving what your early supporters paid for to new players for free at along with the expansion for free is downright disrespectful and wrong. I would have bought HoT a long time ago at a reasonable price before they said that they were nerfing dungeon rewards and Id be wasting my time doing raids as Im not in the Elite tier of players. There is little reason for me to buy HoT other than to have it so I can have the new maps to play on. I also paid full price for 6 accounts for me, my wife, my kids and my sister. It would cost me 300 dollars to get a basic upgrade for our accounts.

I know some of you feel that I am cheap for expecting them to give a reasonable discount to players who already bought the game. I know that you feel the time Ive already played the game to be my moneys worth but I wasnt aware that I was buying a game with a time limit. I know that if this were a game with monthly charges Id pay more, but I didnt buy a game with monthly charges because I have no interest in paying that much. I know all of these arguments and I dont wish to explain the counter logic to each of them but the bottom line is I know when Im being overcharged so I wont buy it!

(edited by dane.4638)

Posted by: minbariguy.7504

minbariguy.7504

They do still get the core game for free as they’re applying HoT towards a new (or F2P) account. This was stated in their blog back in June.

What you’re not understanding is that a company is not required to provide bonus incentives to any customers for the purchase of its product. Nor are they required to be equitable amongst their customer segments when it comes to purchase incentives. This practice is common out in the real world. Cable and phone companies often give discounts to new customers, for example.

You have to realize that prices tend to fall over time so newer players will normally get a better deals than those who were early adopters. This goes for many things outside of the game as well. How much do you think players spent to purchase Prophecies, Factions, and Nightfall when they were first released? Those are now selling as a trilogy for $30. How about Prophecies and EotN? Those two are selling as a set for $20. In fact, those who purchase both products only get a single copy of GW as the Prophecies/EotN bundle has only a single product key.

You’re also discounting all of the time that existing players have had to play the game over new players including any and all content that cannot be experienced again. How many new players will be able to experience the assault on the Ancient Karka or witness the destruction of LA?

New players also have to start from scratch. If existing players want the same deal as new players have, apply the HoT product code to a new account. You’ll be on the same equal footing as new players minus all of the knowledge and experiences that you have acquired from playing the game.

Ah. Then I have , in fact, understood it correctly. That’s what I thought.

Btw, I have no complaints at all about the actual price point. None. I would have gladly paid fifty dollars if they had only included a character slot without requiring a pre-purchase. That is the only change I have ever asked for throughout the entire HoT release, and it is, for me, an absolute deal-breaker.

They are obviously not obligated to provide said character slot.

I am obviously not obligated to purchase the products of a company that I feel does not value its repeat customers.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The game that you bought does not have a time limit. You can still play it. All of the content that came with the core game and anything added to core since will still be available. The only things you will not get if you don’t HoT are the new maps, specs, profession, raids and ongoing development related to HoT.

Ongoing development coming with a price tag is the standard in the limited sample of buy-to-play games. Anet gave ongoing development (2 seasons of Living World) for free. So, they’re arguably more generous than their imitators, or B2P games in other genres.

Now, are you being overcharged for HoT? Well, if there is little about the new content that appeals to you, then the XPac is not worth much. Buy it when it goes on sale later, or wait for the next one and get both for the same cost. If it still does not meet your criteria for worth, then you may have to accept that ANet has taken the game’s ongoing development in directions that aren’t for you. While unfortunate, these things happen.

Posted by: Mad Dog Fargo.7543

Mad Dog Fargo.7543

After reading about this, I’ve decided not to pre-purchase. I’m just going to wait for a sale.

I just really don’t want a free character slot. I’ve already purchased enough of them, years ago. I wish there was a way for them to keep the slot and apply the $10, or whatever it costs, to the purchase price of the expansion. Hell, even just giving me a credit of gems equivalent to the cost of a character slot would let me go get something from the store that I actually want.

And it’s not just about price or fair exchange of value either. I’ve spent WAY more in the gem store supporting GW2 as a long time player and a fan. It could be argued I’ve paid WAY too much for it already, certainly far more than a subscription fee. But I did it because I love the game and enjoyed the content.

Perhaps I was a fool to think there’d be some kind of discounted upgrade option for existing/loyal core game customers. I guess it really is just about hype and profit now. At least, that’s how it seems to me.

Just a flesh wound.3589

After reading about this, I’ve decided not to pre-purchase. I’m just going to wait for a sale.

I just really don’t want a free character slot. I’ve already purchased enough of them, years ago. I wish there was a way for them to keep the slot and apply the $10, or whatever it costs, to the purchase price of the expansion. Hell, even just giving me a credit of gems equivalent to the cost of a character slot would let me go get something from the store that I actually want.

And it’s not just about price or fair exchange of value either. I’ve spent WAY more in the gem store supporting GW2 as a long time player and a fan. It could be argued I’ve paid WAY too much for it already, certainly far more than a subscription fee. But I did it because I love the game and enjoyed the content.

Perhaps I was a fool to think there’d be some kind of discounted upgrade option for existing/loyal core game customers. I guess it really is just about hype and profit now. At least, that’s how it seems to me.

There were some people who got 800 (? I think, it’s been a while) gems and the char slot removed after contacting support about it. You could always discuss it with support.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Inculpatus cedo.9234

There were some people who got $800 (? I think, it’s been a while) gems and the char slot removed after contacting support about it. You could always discuss it with support.

I think you mean 800 Gems, rather than 800 dollars. Heavens, if players could get $800…omg! Lol.

Just a flesh wound.3589

There were some people who got $800 (? I think, it’s been a while) gems and the char slot removed after contacting support about it. You could always discuss it with support.

I think you mean 800 Gems, rather than 800 dollars. Heavens, if players could get $800…omg! Lol.

Yeah, lol. I put the gems after the parentheses but I was also thinking $10 at the same time I was typing so typed both $ and gems.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: AIex.4105

AIex.4105

So I cant buy only the expansion, i think ill passs. I buyed the original game for 40$, anet logic expansion$>original game$, probably it have less content than vanila game also.

(edited by AIex.4105)

Posted by: Derenek.8931

Derenek.8931

So I cant buy only the expansion, i think ill pass. I buyed the original game for 40$, anet logic expansion$>original game$, probably it have less content than vanila game also.

I cant say I blame you. I only bought HoT because I’ve been playing since the first guild wars came out in beta. Truthfully though, HoT is definitely the worst value for the price that Anet has ever released.

GW1 50 bucks (full game campaign 6 character slots.)
GW1 Cantha 50 bucks (full game campaign, plus 2 classes and 6 character slots. Or two additional if the original game was owned)
GW1 Nightfall 50 bucks(full game campaign, plus 2 classes and 6 character slots. Or two additional if the original game was owned. Also the addition of companions, up to 6 could be earned and equipped)
GW1 EotN 25 bucks (expansion only, 2 additional character slots, additional companions, Hall of Monuments)

GW2 50 bucks (Full game campaign, 6 character slots)
GW2 HoT 50 bucks (expansion only, 1 character slot if GW1 bought at full price, no companions, no additional races or classes.)

You’re getting what Anet historically priced at 25 dollars for 50 dollars. So, bang for the buck? If that’s what you’re expecting? Forget it. The pricing is scaled for new free to play accounts.

People who bought GW1 for 50 bucks should get 25 bucks worth of gems to balance the obvioud disparity, but we’ve already complained and they finally acquiesced to a character slot.

IndigoSundown.5419

So I cant buy only the expansion, i think ill passs. I buyed the original game for 40$, anet logic expansion$>original game$, probably it have less content than vanila game also.

The core game was $60 at release, not $40. You got it later. Wait about as long after HoT release, and maybe you can get HoT for $30.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Pretty sure Heart of Thorns includes a new profession, or as you call it…‘class’.

Posted by: Alin.2468

Alin.2468

As time passes it will get cheaper and cheaper. Only you can decide when and if the price is right for you.

This is the best elementalist build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh5zjK7ITpQ

IndigoSundown.5419

GW1 Cantha 50 bucks (full game campaign, plus 2 classes and 6 character slots. Or two additional if the original game was owned)
GW1 Nightfall 50 bucks(full game campaign, plus 2 classes and 6 character slots. Or two additional if the original game was owned. Also the addition of companions, up to 6 could be earned and equipped)
GW1 EotN 25 bucks (expansion only, 2 additional character slots, additional companions, Hall of Monuments)

GW2 HoT 50 bucks (expansion only, 1 character slot if GW1 bought at full price, no companions, no additional races or classes.)

You’re getting what Anet historically priced at 25 dollars for 50 dollars.

Your figures are off.

EotN was $40 at release, not $25. GW2 was $60 at release, not $50. Thus. HoT’s $50 price tag is $10 less than GW2, just as EotN was $10 less than a GW campaign.

Prices of games (and a lot of other things) have increased in 8-10 years. Now, that is not to say that HoT is or isn’t worth it to a given consumer. However, if you’re trying to throw stones at the developer using number comparisons, at least use the right numbers.

Derenek.8931

Your figures are off.

EotN was $40 at release, not $25. GW2 was $60 at release, not $50. Thus. HoT’s $50 price tag is $10 less than GW2, just as EotN was $10 less than a GW campaign.

Prices of games (and a lot of other things) have increased in 8-10 years. Now, that is not to say that HoT is or isn’t worth it to a given consumer. However, if you’re trying to throw stones at the developer using number comparisons, at least use the right numbers.

I used factual figures based on what I myself paid. I bought every release at launch. I’m not using figures from some website or someone else’s story. this is my actual payout.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Maybe he got some special editions of Guild Wars games. My Guild Wars 2 only had 5 character slots…his had 6.

My Prophesies, Factions and Nightfall all came with 4 character slots…his had 6.

I don’t remember getting any additional character slots with EotN.

His HoT gets a character slot for purchasing GW (One), and has no Revenant.

Lol… maybe that’s why they have special prices…who knows?

Posted by: Mad Dog Fargo.7543

Mad Dog Fargo.7543

There were some people who got 800 (? I think, it’s been a while) gems and the char slot removed after contacting support about it. You could always discuss it with support.

Oh REALLY?

Now, this may change things for me. I will contact support to confirm before I spend any money. If they say yes, then I would be MUCH happier with being able to pick what I want as an existing customer freebie.

Derenek.8931

Oh REALLY?

Now, this may change things for me. I will contact support to confirm before I spend any money. If they say yes, then I would be MUCH happier with being able to pick what I want as an existing customer freebie.

Please post if you can find that. I’d like 800 gems, but i never heard of this offer.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Oh REALLY?

Please post if you can find that. I’d like 800 gems, but i never heard of this offer.

It was 3 or 4(?) people on this thread who got the 800 gems. Last page is most relevant (previous pages are people discussing it).

ANet may give it to you.

IndigoSundown.5419

Your figures are off.

I used factual figures based on what I myself paid. I bought every release at launch. I’m not using figures from some website or someone else’s story. this is my actual payout.

That’s convenient. Regardless, if you got EotN for $15 under the retail price set by Anet, then you got a great deal. You’re comparing apples to oranges. The comparison, if you’re going to make one, should be retail price versus retail price, not retail price v, “I got a deal buying wherever.”

Derenek.8931

Your figures are off.

That’s convenient. Regardless, if you got EotN for $15 under the retail price set by Anet, then you got a great deal. You’re comparing apples to oranges. The comparison, if you’re going to make one, should be retail price versus retail price, not retail price v, “I got a deal buying wherever.”

It’s comparing apples to apples.

I’m comparing games made by the same company.
Character slots to character slots
Additional classes/professions to additional classes/professions
Additional bonus in game items to additional in game items.

GW1 was apparently just released during a time when Anet believed in giving players as much as they could possibly give for the money spent.

GW2 is the total opposite philosophy, it feels like it is about “give them as little as we can without losing customers.” Then squeeze people for money in the gem store.

Even using your standard, paying customers received more for their money than customers are getting in HoT. Play in Cantha or Elona then compare it to tyria. Players received a full game with full lore, stories, missions, quests, and additioal gameplay features. They also received character slots, heroes, in addition to a FULL CAMPAIGN and entire continent.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Your figures are off.

Does this mean that someone who paid only $10 for GW2 when it was on sale can accurately say that GW1 was overpriced because it was smaller than GW2 and cost five times as much?

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Your figures are off.

Please put that as a disclaimer that that is what you paid.

Derenek.8931

Your figures are off.

Does this mean that someone who paid only $10 for GW2 when it was on sale can accurately say that GW1 was overpriced because it was smaller than GW2 and cost five times as much?

Nope, but someone who paid 50 bucks for GW2 at launch should expect to receive a similar quality and quantity of product that they paid for before. They are charging the price of a full game, but giving the equivalent of a partial expansion.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Your figures are off.

Nope, but someone who paid 50 bucks for GW2 at launch should expect to receive a similar quality and quantity of product that they paid for before. They are charging the price of a full game, but giving the equivalent of a partial expansion.

I tend to think that the original $50 for GW2 was actually a greatly discounted rate. I think that the original game, not counting certain alterations to its stated design principles***, is worth much more, perhaps in the range of several hundred dollars. The expansion is a fraction of the size of the original game but costs a fraction of what I think the original game was worth.

Then again, by waiting, I could potentially buy the fourth expansion and get HoT plus expac 2 and expac 3 for free. If expac 4 is $60 and each expac includes 12 maps, a new profession, and elite specs for all professions then I would be getting 48 maps, 4 professions, 20 elite specs, who knows how many skills, etc. for $60. Someone who buys expansions right at release gets them sooner at the cost of a greater overall cash outlay.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not trying to say that HoT is worth the asking price. Only you can decide that for yourself. I have already decided to give it a pass. Not worth buying at all to me. Even at half price I would be disinclined to buy, not because I think $25 is too much for an expansion of this size, but because I think that even $1 is too much for this particular expansion.

• I am firmly of the opinion that the game we have now is worth much less than the game we had at launch.

Posted by: minbariguy.7504

minbariguy.7504

GW2 is the total opposite philosophy, it feels like it is about “give them as little as we can without losing customers.”

^^^THIS.^^^

That sums up my feelings towards ANet right now perfectly. I mean, they can’t even throw in one character slot without a slimy pre-purchase scheme? I’m sorry, but that is simply corporate greed. Period.

Posted by: Nelzkie.1245

Nelzkie.1245

Not gonna buy the expansion + base game. Been playing the game for two years now. I’ll wait for expansion only.

ANet really need to appreciate the people that contribute to their success and not to new people.

Cool

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

For those constant complainers who think it’s too expensive: just wait a couple of months til a year and I am sure you can buy the expansion for a much lower price.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: heyhellowhatsnew.3578

heyhellowhatsnew.3578

I have been trying to search for this answer for months… but do people who bought Guild Wars 2 when it first came out have to buy the expansion at 50 dollars or are we getting a discount for just the expansion?

Thanks so much.

Sorry for the terrible title lingo, 45 characters stinks :P

Posted by: Kaligos.7285

Kaligos.7285

Just look for some official retailers… Usually they offer HoT for a more reasonable price.

edit: Also to answer the question: You have to pay the full price.

“Sharpen your blades and guard your vitals! I’m back!” – Rytlock Brimstone

(edited by Kaligos.7285)

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Researching for months? Where? This has been a hot (no pun intended) forum item for quite a long time. It is also in the HoT FAQs and was part of the announcement for F2P (I think, though not sure on that one).

Anyway, the answer is yes, you must pay as well. You got your money’s worth for buying the original when you did and now if you want the expansion you’ll need to pay for it.

Edit: please excuse if the tone was harsh, wasn’t meant to be, I was just surprised to see the question pop up again.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Just a flesh wound.3589

This will be their ongoing way to sell the game. This one has the base game inside. The next one will have the base game and HoT free with the new expansion. The one after that will have the base game and 2 expansions free with the new expansion.

They want to bring new people in, new people to replace veterans who no longer play and to increase the game’s population. A game that has too high a price-wall can’t attract new people in the numbers wanted. Not with so much competition from the free to play and single player games.

The game is priced for the expansion. The free base game and the succeeding expansions inside in the future are not for us vets. They are there to keep the price-wall as low as possible to bring in new people.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

You pay full price. There is no “just the expansion”, nor will there ever be.

ANet has said that this is how they’re going to do it going forward. Every expansion will come with all previous expansions and the base game included “free”. That way, all anyone has to do to catch up is buy the latest expansion.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: heyhellowhatsnew.3578

heyhellowhatsnew.3578

Ahh, okay. Thanks ANet just lost a sale until it’s 10 bucks or whatever. Shame, I really missed this game.

<3 to everyone