HoT Price Feedback + Base game included [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

It’s a 4 zone expansion that rewrites much of the game, with more coming. If you don’t think it’s worth it, don’t buy it, but $50 is the price.

I’m pretty sure that over time this will be worth a lot more than $50 even if right now you might question that price.

Posted by: Werdx.2059

Werdx.2059

I don’t understand why people get hung up on this? You’ve payed the game for 3 years and payed only 60$ (or something like that) in order to do so. For this money you’ve recieved free updates with content being added (and developed) without the need to pay for any of it.

Now 3 years later, they release an expansion, and with this expansion they make the game Free to Play. UNLESS you want to play the expansion! If you want to play the expansion (granted it was kind of a small expansion for a full game price) you need to purchase it.

How is this in any way wrong? Nobody’s forcing you to buy the expansion, but c’mon mate – you’ve gotten 3 years of update for free. You obviously like the game – why not give the devs some extra cash and insentive so keep making the game good?

New players will be able to see now if they like the core game, they can buy the expansion e.g. the game grows.

I’ve just about had it with these posts. It was a poorly thought through thing to mark out and complain about 3 months ago, and still is.

Sorry for rant.

You presented free to play like something awesome,while its not.First of all,they didn’t do it for players.They did it to lure people into buying game.Second : Free to play is something,someone never should try.You would be better off watching videos on twitch.You are limited in every possible way.

1) Character Slots : 2

2) Bag Slots : 3

3) Lion’s Arch unlocked at level 35

4) In-Game Mail : Can’t send gold or items

5) Guild Bank Access : No

6) Map chat : No

7) Currency Exchange : Gems to gold exchange available, gold to gems exchange unavailable.

8) Trading Post : Can buy and sell items from a selected list. (Cant buy expensive items,nor sell items for high price)

Arena Net did nothing special for people,and they have no right to say " we did something nice for people" Because,limitations like these are laughable.

Why not give devs extra cash?Because HoT was lamest way to hijack money from people.

They ignore people totally on the forums,and when they post something once a 5 months,people put them to the highest pedestal.Their behavior is clearly one big F all of us,and they do not care about us.

Posted by: technophebe.7631

technophebe.7631

lol seriously guys salty much?

The game has been out 3 years. You paid $60. That makes it 60/(3 * 12) = $1.67 a month. Your three yearly subscription fee has come round. Oh also you get a full expansion with it.

Free to pay account have restrictions. This is very normal.

Running the game servers and paying the developers costs money! If you think the game is terrible and worth nothing, don’t buy the expansion. If you like the game, pay your measly $1.67 a month to support it, or continue to pay nothing and don’t get the expansion!

Super simple, no salt required!

Posted by: lunaticdawn.1860

lunaticdawn.1860

people keep saying 3 years 3 years, but not everyone play this game all 3 years, player can cut the subscription if they want a break

beside that, this game has gem store

I think that the content of HoT not worth $60 for players with core game

Vayne.8563

people keep saying 3 years 3 years, but not everyone play this game all 3 years, player can cut the subscription if they want a break

First of all the price of HoT is $50 not $60. Secondly WoW has a gem store AND a subscription. In fact, I can’t think of a subscription MMO that doesn’t have a gem store. So the concept of this game having a gem store that’s completely optional is a misnomer.

And yes you can stop playing the other games, but that’s the rub isnt’ it. If you stop paying, you stop playing which isn’t the case here.

So you take a break, you stop your sub, and then you have to start it up again if you want to do something with your friends.

In my case, I never let a subscription lapse on those games because I always make friends and they often ask me to do stuff with them. So then I’m paying a sub to hang out with friends, even if the game is only meh to me.

Here if the game isn’t completely to my liking I can still come hang out with my friends for free.

Sure I can take a break. Not really the point though.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Marketing ploy: Core is now ‘free’ so pay the same price as you did for the full game for the small 4-zone expansion.

Actually, “core” isn’t free — only the restricted ‘trial’ is free (much more limited than ‘core’).

• New players pay one price to get everything, which is $10 less than early adopters paid to get the game at launch.

If all you care about is how many maps, how many new races, how many new profs, and how many new skins, then sure, HoT is going to disappoint. The only metric I care about is: will the game be fun enough to play to make it worth the cost?

For me, the answer is “yes” and for others it’s not. Gliding is so much fun it’s almost worth the cost of the game. I really like the new story (even though it’s every bit as naive and simplistic as the stories of GW1 and GW2/core). The new elite specs are (nearly) universally a blast to play, once you figure them out. And the scenery is majestic, especially with the new camera options.

On the whole, GW2+HoT is a far better game overall than what was released in August 2012 — I think it’s worth the price. Your mileage, of course, will vary depending on your preferences.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Fetus Fajitas.8492

Fetus Fajitas.8492

Id like to start off saying that i love GW2 , but when i came back after hearing about the recent expansion, i had heard from a friend that upgraded from a free account to a full account for 50$ he got a the core game ( upgrading his free account to full) and the expansion. Now what disappoints me is the fact that i paid the same price years ago just to play the core game, and now i have to spend another 30-50 whether or not i decide to buy it on g2a or gw2 website, when a free player who didnt even pay for the full version game like i did years ago pays 1 flat fee of 50$ and gets core game and expansion, when i have to pay around a 100$ just because i played before it was free to play, ? this literally makes no sense from a customer service standpoint you are punishing people for supporting your game before it went free to play, and rewarding people who didnt support your game at all with the f2p players being able to upgrade and get twice as much for how much the p2p players paid years ago, so you’re actaully intentionally screwing us. It actually makes no sense that the people who purchased gw2 do not get the expansion included since that is the standing offer that is in place for f2p players…..gggggrrrrreeeeeeddddddd

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

;)

(edited by Qugi.2653)

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

It’s to keep new players from running into a $100 ($50 and $50) pricewall when buying a 3 year old game (and a higher pricewall with each successive expansion).

In case you didn’t notice it, in real life things get cheaper as they get older. For example, a 3 year old car isn’t as expensive as a brand new car. This game is 3 years old, and yes, it was heavily discounted to $10 before it was made free for the core.

I have to admit though, I never realized before all this that giving something to new people for free was greedy. Guild Wars 2 forum posters have taught me a lot.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Vayne.8563

I can’t remember buying a game 3 years later for as much as I paid for it. In fact, most 3 year old games don’t see at all, or are lying around in the bargain bin.

WoW has many expansions. You get them all for buying the base game and the current expansion. The same with EQ. You guy the current expansion you get everything.

MMOs have natural attrition. People stop playing all the time for all sorts of reasons. So the only way a game can stay healthy is to attract new customers and that means removing barriers to entry. The NPE was made to make the game easier to learn. The pricing is to make it appealing to new people.

The best thing, the very best thing, Anet can do for veteran players is to remove obstacles for new people to start playing.

If you love the game as much as you claim, you should be happy they made this decision.

Posted by: Godmoney.2048

Godmoney.2048

3 years of a huge massive game for 50$.

Now they want 50$ for another 3 years of sub free goodness.

Ok. Sounds reasonable.

Vayne.8563

In other words, if you don’t agree with Vayne, you hate the game and hate Anet.

Not what I said. Not even CLOSE to what I said.

I simply said that Anet is removing barriers to entry and that’s good for everyone especially long term players.

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

When others want something you have, they’re greedy.

When others have something you want, they’re greedy.

That’s the magic of greed.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: Torque.2948

Torque.2948

Your beating a dead horse that’s already been beat. They don’t care and on top of that HoT was worth 19.99 at best. HoT killed GW2 the fan boys will tell you it didn’t, but it did and Anet still listens to them until the game is completely dead. Everyone have a happy holiday.

Posted by: ShinyDay.5349

ShinyDay.5349

I bought Guild Wars 2 around April this year for 45€, and had to pay another 45€ for HOT few months ago. Paid 90€ for game withing half year.
Do I regreat it? Not even close.
Sure it seems kinda unfair, but that way you are supporting GW2 to stay alive. With recent HoT price, they received nice amount of money, that will pay for server bills and all developers.
Is 45€ realy so much? I’m a student in kinda poor country, but I paid for it anyway because that game is awesome.
How much time do you have to work to earn those 45€ ? few hours
And how much time do you spend playing this game? can’t say for you, but 500+ hours here at least.

I don’t want to be harsh, but please stop whininh and pay those few buck.

Best regards!

i7 4790, GTX 1070, SSD Samsung 850 EVO + HyperX Fury 480gb, Z97A Krait, 16GB 2133MHz CL10 DDR3,
Corsair RM650x, Fractal Define S (with window panel)

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

3 years of a huge massive game for 50$.

Now they want 50$ for another 3 years of sub free goodness.

Ok. Sounds reasonable.

Show me where they’ve said our next expansion date is again ?

For all we as players know it could be in 5 months, 12 months, 16 months etc….We have no guarantee.

Posted by: Leamas.5803

Leamas.5803

I think of it this way, my original $50 gave me a 3 year head start on anyone starting with the free version now. $50 for a game that lasts 3 years is pretty kitten good.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Id like to start off saying that i love GW2 , but when i came back after hearing about the recent expansion, i had heard from a friend that upgraded from a free account to a full account for 50$ he got a the core game ( upgrading his free account to full) and the expansion. Now what disappoints me is the fact that i paid the same price years ago just to play the core game, and now i have to spend another 30-50 whether or not i decide to buy it on g2a or gw2 website, when a free player who didnt even pay for the full version game like i did years ago pays 1 flat fee of 50$ and gets core game and expansion, when i have to pay around a 100$ just because i played before it was free to play, ? this literally makes no sense from a customer service standpoint you are punishing people for supporting your game before it went free to play, and rewarding people who didnt support your game at all with the f2p players being able to upgrade and get twice as much for how much the p2p players paid years ago, so you’re actaully intentionally screwing us. It actually makes no sense that the people who purchased gw2 do not get the expansion included since that is the standing offer that is in place for f2p players…..gggggrrrrreeeeeeddddddd

Except that your old account > free to play accounts (see https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/95982157-Account-types-Free-Core-HoT and https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Account).

Also statements like

i paid the same price years ago

usually don’t mix well with other arguments. Unless your account has gone to collector heaven and has gained with it a value increase, deal with it.

Fianlly, if you had been around for the HoT launch, you could have gotten a character slot for preordering. There, now you have something else you can complain about: people who preordered HoT getting more out of the expansion upgrade than any late adopters.

If the expansion does not seem like it’s worth kitten,- $ to you, then wait until it has droped in price and then buy. Simple as that.

Posted by: Werdx.2059

Werdx.2059

Selling HoT alltogether with core game was lame way to steal money from people who have core already.

Its ok to pay 50 euros,if you do not have game at all,but that means,i bought core game,which i don’t need at all = i wasted 25 euros for nothing.It would be awesome if they allowed us to give to people core cd key.

People who do not have game at all,they spent 50 euros on both games.

People who got core game,spent same amount of money for expansion..

That’s some weird logic,but then again,its Arena Net,nothing can surprise me anymore.

Vayne.8563

Selling HoT alltogether with core game was lame way to steal money from people who have core already.

Its ok to pay 50 euros,if you do not have game at all,but that means,i bought core game,which i don’t need at all = i wasted 25 euros for nothing.It would be awesome if they allowed us to give to people core cd key.

That’s some weird logic,but then again,its Arena Net,nothing can surprise me anymore.

It’s also what all the top MMOs are doing, not just Anet. You’re trying to make it sound like it’s unreasonable to remove barriers to entry for people. People who bought half a dozen WoW expansions paid for them, but new players only need the base game and the current expansion.

It’s not something people complain about, because it’s ridiculous to think that people will look at a game to play, realize they have to buy three or four games and think sure why not. That’s not how it works.

Removing barriers to entry is good for veterans.

Posted by: Stars.2179

Stars.2179

If you bought the game for $50 at launch and did not play it, it is your fault. Then when you look at the price today and think that charging another $50 for the expansion+core game is ridiculous, then you are unreasonable. AreaNet simply removes barrier to entry to all new players.

A new HoT player is not on equal footing with a 3 years old veteran. No way. Let’s not talk about all the restriction on free account. A 3 year old account can worth tens of thousands of gold in collection, dyes, ascended weapons/armor and legendary weapons. To even think that somehow you’re cheated that suddenly a new player that just purchased HoT is somehow magically equal to you is unimaginable. Yes they got both parts of the game for the same price while you paid twice. But guess what, you get so much advantage over those people.

I can jump into a raid whenever I want, can a new player do it? Nope, they better wait for a month or two before they can even attempt if they want to have a chance at it. Can a new player join a raiding guild? No, not if they are not sufficiently equipped or can play proficiently.

Can a new player craft a legendary weapon old or new? No. They’ll have to wait for months if not years down the road? Me, I have enough resources to cook up one or two or three if I want to.

Can a new player do anything as efficiently as I am? No, not if I’m also doing it.

Can a new player reach where I am at right now? Sure, maybe 2-3 years down the road?

By the time they reach my point, which is a few months if not years down the road, I would be hundreds, thousands of mile ahead still. There will be new raids, new weapons, new armor. I want them? I can cook up any any time. New players? They have to wait.

People speak of 3 years game play as if they are not worth anything. They are wrong, 3 years is A LOT of advantage for head start.

At HoT launch, I had a choice of buying a new account or add the expansion to my old one to have TWO accounts. But then I thought, well yeah, I don’t want to be a new player right now.

(edited by Stars.2179)

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

If you bought the game for $50 at launch and did not play it, it is your fault. Then when you look at the price today and think that charging another $50 for the expansion+core game is ridiculous, then you are unreasonable. AreaNet simply removes barrier to entry to all new players.

A new HoT player is not on equal footing with a 3 years old veteran. No way. Let’s not talk about all the restriction on free account. A 3 year old account can worth tens of thousands of gold in collection, dyes, ascended weapons/armor and legendary weapons. To even think that somehow you’re cheated that suddenly a new player that just purchased HoT is somehow magically equal to you is unimaginable. Yes they got both parts of the game for the same price while you paid twice. But guess what, you get so much advantage over those people.

I can jump into a raid whenever I want, can a new player do it? Nope, they better wait for a month or two before they can even attempt if they want to have a chance at it. Can a new player join a raiding guild? No, not if they are not sufficiently equipped or can play proficiently.

Can a new player craft a legendary weapon old or new? No. They’ll have to wait for months if not years down the road? Me, I have enough resources to cook up one or two or three if I want to.

Can a new player do anything as efficiently as I am? No, not if I’m also doing it.

Can a new player reach where I am at right now? Sure, maybe 2-3 years down the road?

By the time they reach my point, which is a few months if not years down the road, I would be hundreds, thousands of mile ahead still. There will be new raids, new weapons, new armor. I want them? I can cook up any any time. New players? They have to wait.

People speak of 3 years game play as if they are not worth anything. They are wrong, 3 years is A LOT of advantage for head start.

At HoT launch, I had a choice of buying a new account or add the expansion to my old one to have TWO accounts. But then I thought, well yeah, I don’t want to be a new player right now.

If you’re pleased good for you. Tired of being told I got my money’s worth, that’s my decision. Core being bundled with HoT is fine but it should cost more than an existing player’s purchase, period.

The game going Free To Play killed any loyalty I had for Anet.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Aidenwolf.5964

It’s also what all the top MMOs are doing, not just Anet. You’re trying to make it sound like it’s unreasonable to remove barriers to entry for people. People who bought half a dozen WoW expansions paid for them, but new players only need the base game and the current expansion.

It’s not something people complain about, because it’s ridiculous to think that people will look at a game to play, realize they have to buy three or four games and think sure why not. That’s not how it works.

GW2 was Buy To Play it was supposed to be different than every other MMO. It is now a Freemium game and players have every right to dislike it. Buy once and play forever was corrupted by the gem store you championed no matter what they put in it. Players like me saw doom when you saw sunshine you’ll convince none of us to rejoice in being fleeced.

PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

GW2 was Buy To Play it was supposed to be different than every other MMO. It is now a Freemium game and players have every right to dislike it. Buy once and play forever was corrupted by the gem store you championed no matter what they put in it. Players like me saw doom when you saw sunshine you’ll convince none of us to rejoice in being fleeced.

Really? Freemium? Where is this optional monthly payment? I’m not seeing it.

Aidenwolf.5964

Here I’ll help. Base game is completely Free To Play with a few annoying restrictions, Chat and Trading Post Limitations being the most annoying but the entire core game (all of it) is playable for free. Want those annoying limitations removed? Buy HoT. Want to make a Revenant? Buy HoT. Want to do meta events in Maguuma? Buy HoT. Want an elite spec? Buy HoT.

None of these are required to play GW2, they’re extras. You can create a Free account and spend 24/7 in Tryia without ever spending a penny. The game is free… With extras.

As for the optional monthly bit, that’s the store.

PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Ok, now that the game is out and been played and analyzed, i ll say this.

Heart of thorns is a nice add on. Worthy of being an expansion. The new areas and plotline etc are fairly well done, and do add to the game.

However, 50 bucks is pretty steep still. 30-40 is the limit id say. 30 would probably have been optimal. 50 makes it seem like a full game.

Also, tyria masteries probably should have been basic core additions. Legendaries and fractals are old content, and mentor system is kind of a basic feature.

In the future for expansions of this size, sell a 30 dollar version for previous owners, and a complete edition for newcomers at 50.

Or make a bigger expansions that add more content, for all types of players.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Here I’ll help. Base game is completely Free To Play with a few annoying restrictions, Chat and Trading Post Limitations being the most annoying but the entire core game (all of it) is playable for free. Want those annoying limitations removed? Buy HoT. Want to make a Revenant? Buy HoT. Want to do meta events in Maguuma? Buy HoT. Want an elite spec? Buy HoT.

None of these are required to play GW2, they’re extras. You can create a Free account and spend 24/7 in Tryia without ever spending a penny. The game is free… With extras.

As for the optional monthly bit, that’s the store.

The term Freemium refers to a game that provides a basic level of service for free, with players renting extra service (e.g., character slots, bag space) which they lose if they stop the monthly payment. That’s not the GW2 model. When they made the unlimited free trial of core, the left- out features that came with launch can still be accessed by a one-time payment.

With regard to the store… they announced a GW2 store well before launch. Did you not hear about it? If you did hear, what did you think they were going to sell in an MMO’s virtual store?

That’s not to say I do not question some of their business decisions. I believe that the RNG boxes are reprehensible design. I also do not appreciate them removing features from core and re-purposing them in HoT. However, I’m not so naive to think that they can run the game by eliminating the store and getting by on selling XPacs at half the price of HoT.

Ultimately, whether GW2 or HoT offers sufficient value to justify its price is a personal decision. As for me, I choose not to spend gems (gained via cash or gold) on keys because I do not want to support that aspect of their business. I chose to buy HoT from Amazon at a reduced price which I felt was more in line with its value to me. That said, I’ve never felt fleeced by ANet, but I have felt fleeced by Blizzard, which made me pay premium price for expansions, pay a rental fee to be able to play, put stuff in a virtual store, and provide a game experience that I found inferior. Ymmv.

(edited by IndigoSundown.5419)

Vayne.8563

Guild Wars 2 is buy to play. You can buy it and play it. Now Heart of Thorns is buy to play. Just like Guild Wars 1 was buy to play but still had an expansion.

Buy to play doesn’t mean there’ll never be an expansion. Buy to play means you’re playing a game without a monthly fee.

Guild Wars 2 HoT essentially replaced Guild Wars 2 core. It’s the new Guild Wars 2. It’s buy to play.

If you want to play Guild Wars core, you dont’ have to buy anything. It’s now free.

Aidenwolf.5964

Guild Wars 2 is buy to play. You can buy it and play it. Now Heart of Thorns is buy to play. Just like Guild Wars 1 was buy to play but still had an expansion.

Buy to play doesn’t mean there’ll never be an expansion. Buy to play means you’re playing a game without a monthly fee.

Guild Wars 2 HoT essentially replaced Guild Wars 2 core. It’s the new Guild Wars 2. It’s buy to play.

If you want to play Guild Wars core, you dont’ have to buy anything. It’s now free.

I’ll correct you here because accuracy is important when attempting to correct misinformation. Guild Wars 2 is Free to Play…. Guild Wars is not. Each Guild Wars campaign still is Buy To Play. I was robbed and am unhappy about it, if you want to correct me, be correct.

Free to Play Guild Wars 2 has kitten all to do with the expansion anyways they just gave away my kitten for nothing to anyone who logs in.

PugLife SoloQ

(edited by Aidenwolf.5964)

Vayne.8563

I’ll correct you here because accuracy is important when attempting to correct misinformation. Guild Wars 2 is Free to Play…. Guild Wars is not. Each Guild Wars campaign still is Buy To Play. I was robbed and am unhappy about it, if you want to correct me, be correct.

Free to Play Guild Wars 2 has kitten all to do with the expansion anyways they just gave away my kitten for nothing to anyone who logs in.

The Guild Wars 2 game is buy to play. That is HoT which is the current incarnation. This is how MMOs work. Too much of a barrier to entry for new players to buy every single game leading up to the game. This is why WoW and EQ did it.

And you know, three year old games all go down in price to the point where you can buy the original Guild Wars Trilogy for the price of new players paid just for Prophecies.

So if you bought Prophecies, Factions and Nightfall when they came out, you were actually paying three times the price of all three games together if you waited.

It’s what happens. Expecting it not to happen, therefore, isn’t reasonable in my opinion. The real problem you don’t like the direction the game is heading in, and so you’ll complain about every aspect of the game, even something every other major MMO is doing or going to do for the exact same reason.

You think it’s better to charge for each game and have far less players? Okay then.

Aidenwolf.5964

The Guild Wars 2 game is buy to play. That is HoT which is the current incarnation. This is how MMOs work. Too much of a barrier to entry for new players to buy every single game leading up to the game. This is why WoW and EQ did it.

And you know, three year old games all go down in price to the point where you can buy the original Guild Wars Trilogy for the price of new players paid just for Prophecies.

So if you bought Prophecies, Factions and Nightfall when they came out, you were actually paying three times the price of all three games together if you waited.

It’s what happens. Expecting it not to happen, therefore, isn’t reasonable in my opinion. The real problem you don’t like the direction the game is heading in, and so you’ll complain about every aspect of the game, even something every other major MMO is doing or going to do for the exact same reason.

You think it’s better to charge for each game and have far less players? Okay then.

You’re right about my thoughts on the direction of the game but you’re actually trying to ignore that the core game is Free To Play which boggles the mind.

PugLife SoloQ

Vayne.8563

You’re right about my thoughts on the direction of the game but you’re actually trying to ignore that the core game is Free To Play which boggles the mind.

The core game is free to play with a bunch of restrictions. It’s almost more of an unlimited demo. But I’m not ignoring the fact. Your mind is boggled because you’re not grasping what I’m saying, because it requires a mental shift you’re not prepared to make.

I don’t see a core game. I see a game. The core game, limited as it is, is the demo for the full game, which includes HoT. Hot has it’s own website, it’s separately trademarked, it is the new Guild Wars product.

The core game isn’t sold anymore unless someone has it still in stock. Anet doesn’t sell it.

You can’t use trading post for a lot of stuff, can’t talk in map chat, can’t whisper people who aren’t on your friend’s list, can’t change gold for gems, can’t enter Lion’s Arch till level 35. Sure it’s free. Because it’s not the game anymore. It’s not being sold anymore.

The core game is just a demo for HoT. HoT is now the game. That’s all.

Posted by: Gothantic.3024

Gothantic.3024

*Bump*

Your old players payed $60-$80 for GW2 just for a misfire wolf or to simply own the game, and they ALREADY OWN GW2. You can not be surprised that they don’t want to re-purchase GW2 along with dlc just to acquire the DLC. If you ever feel like you’d enjoy not hemorrhaging old players out of your game with moronic sales pitches, as well as snarky and frankly hair-brained statements from Arena net staff (Don’t worry, im not bieng rude, i follow up my dicey statements with definitive proof.)

John Smith.4610:
InfinitytheSoulWarden.5963:
if you look at the world through the cold cynical eyes of economics
You rang?

, Don’t let your less intelligible staff respond to messages from the people who pay your bills, and just put a 4th option up for HOT at a $10-$20 discount for not having to re-purchase the base game again, or if you insist we do, give us heart of thorns on our original account AND the new one we are purchasing. we’ll count it as free storage.

Frankly i feel that your old players who payed more for the game and got considerably less for it have already spend enough money just buying the game, as well as the time spend in the game More likely than not spending money in the gem store have already MORE than payed the full price of the HOT DLC and should receive it already without paying in the first place, But im a reasonable person and im simply asking for an alternative to buying the game again, We should be able to buy the dlc ALONE without spending what we payed the first time for GW2 Especially for content that is considerably smaller than GW2 base game in the first place. This considering if you read in this thread that a guy bought GW2 1 month prior to the DLC coming out for roughly $45 and your currently selling base game + DLC for $50 this gives your DLC an approximately $5 Retail value. Maybe thats why you have a thread of 147 pages of your old and loyal and probably even a fair amount of new players calling you out on the fact that this is a problem. GGWP

*Bump*

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

I can’t imagine whats your stance on any other game where ~10-14 hours of game play costs 40-50 Euros.
I bet you only play F2P games.

I have 1333 hours of play, over GW2s lifespan. I think it was worth the 50 euros (or was it 40?). Now HoT adds another double (or triple) digit amount of gameplay hours. So I think even HoT is worth it.
Other then that I’m happy to support Anet with my money for giving me tons of fun hours of gaming.

Um you know I can afk for like 2 years and have over 5000 hours that doesen’t mean game have 5000 hours of actual gameplay.
HoT you can finish in 1 day. If there were no gating you could finish it in 6 hours.

GW2 was worth of buying, HoT is overpriced DLC which should cost 10€. HoT is actually 3x Silverwastes, and SW is faaar better than any of those new 4 maps.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Bump

Your old players payed $60-$80 for GW2 just for a misfire wolf or to simply own the game, and they ALREADY OWN GW2. You can not be surprised that they don’t want to re-purchase GW2 along with dlc just to acquire the DLC. If you ever feel like you’d enjoy not hemorrhaging old players out of your game with moronic sales pitches, as well as snarky and frankly hair-brained statements from Arena net staff (Don’t worry, im not bieng rude, i follow up my dicey statements with definitive proof.)

John Smith.4610:
InfinitytheSoulWarden.5963:
if you look at the world through the cold cynical eyes of economics
You rang?

, Don’t let your less intelligible staff respond to messages from the people who pay your bills, and just put a 4th option up for HOT at a $10-$20 discount for not having to re-purchase the base game again, or if you insist we do, give us heart of thorns on our original account AND the new one we are purchasing. we’ll count it as free storage.

Frankly i feel that your old players who payed more for the game and got considerably less for it have already spend enough money just buying the game, as well as the time spend in the game More likely than not spending money in the gem store have already MORE than payed the full price of the HOT DLC and should receive it already without paying in the first place, But im a reasonable person and im simply asking for an alternative to buying the game again, We should be able to buy the dlc ALONE without spending what we payed the first time for GW2 Especially for content that is considerably smaller than GW2 base game in the first place. This considering if you read in this thread that a guy bought GW2 1 month prior to the DLC coming out for roughly $45 and your currently selling base game + DLC for $50 this gives your DLC an approximately $5 Retail value. Maybe thats why you have a thread of 147 pages of your old and loyal and probably even a fair amount of new players calling you out on the fact that this is a problem. GGWP

Bump

Did you read the red posts in this thread including any of the news articles published by Anet before posting? You are not buying the core game again.

Posted by: SlickFunk.2578

SlickFunk.2578

I know that there has been tons of posts like this, so sorry if you already go tired of these.

Hi there,

I’ve got a bit mad about the price of the expansion. I already bought this game, so why would I need to pay the full price again? I’m a student so I don’t have 50€ to spend on some expansion. Some peeps from my new school plays GW2 too, and I would love to play with them so I could get to know them, but they got the expansion and I don’t.
It wouldn’t be that big of a deal if I could refund my game and then re-buy with the expansion, but there is a 30 day limit, so yeah.

Is there some kind of discount if I already bought the game before the expansion?
Cheers in advantage.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

The expansion costs $50, that is the cost of the expansion. You can wait for a sale but nobody knows when that will happen. You’re not buying the game again, you’re just buying the expansion.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Check around at third party retailers like amazon you will find it cheaper then 50€

Edit
When did you buy the game since your first ever forum posts are today

(edited by Linken.6345)

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Even if your buddies have the expansion but you don’t, any time they are in core Tyria (there’s lots of reason to do so), you can play alongside them like normal.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Posted by: TheNecrosanct.4028

TheNecrosanct.4028

Indeed. You can do everything in core Tyria that they can too. Dungeons/Fractals, the maps are the same for all of you. You don’t have elite specializations but if it’s about getting to know people from your new school, not having the expansion is not an obstacle.

Also, and this is just a personal thing I’m wondering about: you go to a new school and meet new people there. Why not get to know them in real life? I get that the price of the expansion is an obstacle for you, but the expansion itself is not an obstacle to get to know these people. In fact, you probably get to see them multiple times a week, so get together and get to know each other. The online world is just an extra dimension, it is not life itself.

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

Bum some lunch money off your friends in school to save up

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

Op it’s the average price for a mmorpg expansion, it also covers the cost of you playing for free instead on the typical 120+ a year which you would have to pay to join friends on a mmorpg server

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

Vayne.8563

WoW charges you a monthly fee and you still have to buy expansions if you want to do the new stuff. I really am having trouble seeing the problem.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I know that there has been tons of posts like this, so sorry if you already go tired of these.

Eh, don’t apologize. I might be surprised that the question keeps popping up, but if you are wondering, then I’m sure others are, too. I can understand why people don’t want to look at the long, long [merged] posts to see if their specific variation of the question gets addressed.

I already bought this game, so why would I need to pay the full price again?

You bought the core game; you didn’t pay for an expansion. For better or worse, that’s the new model for funding the development of the game. I liked it better before, when the gem store was the main source of income for ANet, but apparently it wasn’t successful enough.

I’m a student so I don’t have 50€ to spend on some expansion.

Whatever the price is, it will be cheap for some, too much for others. Whatever the content, some will feel it’s a bargain, some will feel it’s too little. ANet still has to choose a price that will bring them in enough income to keep the company profitable enough that they continue to control the development of the game (and don’t get micromanaged by their owners). For better or worse, they picked the relatively common price of 50 euros/bucks.

Is there some kind of discount if I already bought the game before the expansion?

No.

At some point, the expansion will be discounted by ANet. We are already seeing some authorized retailers offer discounts for brief periods. If you can’t afford it today, wait for late spring/early summer — that’s my guess as to when we’ll see a lot of discounts (and probably a lot of new ‘free’ stuff that gets added).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Last Call.7950

Last Call.7950

This is going to get some hate but I feel like people don’t look at the bigger picture in terms of cost vs content.

For the people who feel like paying $50 USD ($70 since I’m Canadian) is unreal for what you get out of it. Timeline from release to expansion is about 3 years? So lets do some math; Note prices are in Canadian dollars.

Guild Wars 2 + HoT = 70 bucks for a beautiful work of art with no sub fee.. I know right amazing. The original game has been out for about 3 years now? (correct me if I’m wrong) ready for it? $1.95 a month! Give up 1 Timmie’s coffee on a rainy day and there you go. Think of that as if HoT were to last that long.

Let’s bring WoW into play. $200 per year to play and expansions are the same price as HoT. The end game is so unrewarding and the game dies half way through it’s life span and turns into a bigger grindfest tended for casuals, look what happened to WoD.

To the CoD lovers, buying it every year + the season pass cough money pit. Easy $140 EVERY YEAR plus you have to sub for Xbox Live. Don’t get me wrong I love my shooters but for what they give you isn’t worth it.. I mean.. look at what’s going on with Halo 5. Free DLC and it blows most games out of the water.

This game is worth supporting. Paying for GW2 years ago was worth every penny for the amount I played and time I’ve spent in WvW and so will HoT once I get to the content. People have to realize that the entire expansion doesn’t get released right off the hop anymore and is added in as the content is completed or else what fun would it be to blow through everything and then call it a day. I’m glad they aren’t tending to the casuals because we don’t need more easy mindless games that reward people for doing nothing and honestly I hope they make this game more difficult.

TLDR; Quit crying and buy the game, it’s worth it. For the people who think it’s an endless grind and you get nothing, go manage your garrison an do 3 hours of dailies in WoW and then tell me how accomplished and rewarded you feel, oh and btw 75% of people are kittenbags now enjoy.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Not everyone has the same judgement on what is worth the money asked for something and what is not worth the money. Don’t force others to use your judgement on the matter.

People will pay upwards of $100 on a pair of jeans. Unless those jeans will wash themselves, never ever ever fade no matter how or what I wash them with, and will repair tears on their own, I don’t think any pair of jeans is worth $100. Yet, obviously other people do. I have no problem with people who spend $100 on jeans. It’s their money.

For me, the expansion was worth my money. I’ve gotten several hours of enjoyment out of it and that’s how I view worth in games. If I can get 1 hour of fun for every $1 I spend, it’s worth it. But others don’t base their judgement on whether a game is worth it on hours of fun. Some base it on quantifiable additions to the game. And HoT is low on quantifiable additions to the game, since a lot of stuff is not expansion exclusive. So it may not be worth it for them to buy HoT.

tl;dr: Not everyone shares your judgement on whether or not something is worth it and you shouldn’t force others to use your judgement.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I am not sure that your position holds true universally. You can certainly speak for yourself when discussing value for your money, but are overstepping if you attempt to speak for others. For you, perhaps, $50 for an expansion that includes elements you enjoy is a reasonable price. Even $5 for an expansion that does not include anything that interests me is too much.

Vayne.8563

I like the game too, but every person is entitled to make up their own mind about whether it has value for them.

Also, I find it highly unlikely it’ll take 3 years for the next expansion.

Posted by: Granrey.8920

Granrey.8920

Look, I was very critical of the price and in a way. I’m still a critic/complainer.

When we bought the game 3 years ago. We got a lot for our buck. However, while I was waiting for this game for long time. I only played couple months hardcore. Then, I retuned once in a while. Cause I only play one toon.

I did not get the same value for the expansion.

Is the game worth supporting? I think so.

It’s the expansion entertaining? I agree as well

Can I see the expansion took a lot of investing and effort from Anet? Yes, I can see all the work in it.

I guess most of us critics compared the original invest ment with what we are getting now.

For new players. This is an awesome deal but for people that don’t play that often its not.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I hate the phrase “supporting the game”. A good game doesn’t need “support”. A good game will make money because it offers value for it. A proper, successful game will have a “supplier-customer” relationship with its players, not a “beneficiary-benefactor” one.

Having said that, I’ll throw in that I never spent a penny on gems. Because I don’t support games, I only spend money on what has value to me. As to HoT, it has a whole lot less than I expected.