HoT Price Feedback + Base game included [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Yep, charging real money for a product that cost millions of real dollars to develop is sad. I think I will let Chevrolet know that, since I bought a vehicle from them once, years ago, I expect to never pay more than hal price for their products again….and that I will be using monopoly money.

Posted by: Solus.3571

Solus.3571

I don’t know, overall this seems kind of like a scumbaggy business model. I don’t mind when games go F2P, I understand that happens, but when their solution for supporting previous owners is to lock new F2P players out of content and tell me I’m getting the good end of the stick when that same new player can get everything I have and more for less than the original price I paid for the game, I’m a little offended.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I work for a living and whenever I buy a game I have to carefully consider if it’s worth the money because I can’t afford everything I want to play. Purchasing this game meant I didn’t get to purchase another one for months.

So when the final product is costing me upwards of $100-110 and had I gotten the game today instead it would be merely $50, I feel kind of slapped in the face. Like the company is saying “HA, should have waited just a bit longer, sucks to be you!”

Honestly, a $30 price tag for previous owners would sell me on this. I wouldn’t like it, but at that point I’m being picky, at least at $30 I can see both sides of the argument and not walk away feeling slapped.

Posted by: OnizukaBR.8537

OnizukaBR.8537

I don’t know, overall this seems kind of like a scumbaggy business model. I don’t mind when games go F2P, I understand that happens, but when their solution for supporting previous owners is to lock new F2P players out of content and tell me I’m getting the good end of the stick when that same new player can get everything I have and more for less than the original price I paid for the game, I’m a little offended.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I work for a living and whenever I buy a game I have to carefully consider if it’s worth the money because I can’t afford everything I want to play. Purchasing this game meant I didn’t get to purchase another one for months.

So when the final product is costing me upwards of $100-110 and had I gotten the game today instead it would be merely $50, I feel kind of slapped in the face. Like the company is saying “HA, should have waited just a bit longer, sucks to be you!”

Honestly, a $30 price tag for previous owners would sell me on this. I wouldn’t like it, but at that point I’m being picky, at least at $30 I can see both sides of the argument and not walk away feeling slapped.

Yes you should wait, and then when next exp release next year you should wait again because they will release another and/or will get discounts. So if the point is not to buy if they release new paid expansion i suggest you stop playing games at all because even single player do this, look at the witcher 3 got an expansion i bet you they will release a version that comes with the core game. Its just how the entire world work. So better stop playing games.

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

Is it manual work you do perchance? you must feel slapped in the face with every single AAA mmo release, and then there’s all AAA single player games – maybe GW2 should be a sub model instead so you can pay an extra $100 a year..with the same price for an expansion?

i can help :

Average AAA MMO, $100-180 a year on average including 1 expansion every 2 years. Normal model is that when an AAA mmo releases an expansion, the older content goes free or budget – for obvious reasons.

GW2, $25-30 every year including 1 expansion every 2 years, you decide on what you want to pay above this, you can leave and join at any time with no power curve loss. Normal model is that when an AAA mmo releases an expansion, the older content goes free or budget – for obvious reasons.

its not rocket science.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

(edited by vesica tempestas.1563)

Posted by: Solus.3571

Solus.3571

i can help :

Average AAA MMO, $100-180 a year on average including 1 expansion every 2 years. Normal model is that when an AAA mmo releases an expansion, the older content goes free or budget – for obvious reasons.

GW2, $25-30 every year including 1 expansion every 2 years, you decide on what you want to pay above this, you can leave and join at any time with no power curve loss. Normal model is that when an AAA mmo releases an expansion, the older content goes free or budget – for obvious reasons.

its not rocket science.

My issue isn’t with the pricing, my issue is with the model.

For example, if I sell a product for years and then later start giving that product out for free, people that bought it within the last few months before it became free will be upset because in a very short amount of time, they could have gotten it for free.

Now I’m selling a different product that makes the old one better, but it also comes with the old product. So anyone who DID wait the few months suddenly gets a significantly better deal, and people who didn’t wait have to pay the same price for less because they already have the original product.

It’s not as much a monetary issue as it is the principle of the thing. If they simply offered the expansion by itself for previous owners of the game, or offered a free character slot or two seeing as there’s a new class, that would at least be SOMETHING, but instead, it’s simply older players getting the raw end of the deal. It’s not like I got years of fun out of this game, I didn’t. I got maybe a few months in, and then this happened.

You can’t just compare this to other games, single player or otherwise, and say “well other models are worse, so that makes this one good.” In fact, older expansions in Guild Wars 1 DID come with a free character slot when it released a new class, so it’s not even like they haven’t done exactly the kind of thing I’m suggesting in the past. They just decided not to this time, and because other MMO’s have even worse deals, people like you are perfectly okay with it, because hey, it could be worse.

If the best sex in the world gives me an STD I’m not going to suddenly enjoy it because it wasn’t AIDS. I’m still gonna be upset that I got one at all.

All I’m looking for here is either the expansion sold separately, or some other incentives for previous owners to make that extra $20ish dollars worth it.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

^You may have missed the announcement(s). Anyone that purchased the Core game in the months leading up to HoT release was refunded their monies. Veterans were offered a free character slot. Veterans received a free Outfit.

There’s that $20ish dollars worth.

vesica tempestas.1563

i can help :

its not rocket science.

My issue isn’t with the pricing, my issue is with the model.

For example, if I sell a product for years and then later start giving that product out for free, people that bought it within the last few months before it became free will be upset because in a very short amount of time, they could have gotten it for free.

Now I’m selling a different product that makes the old one better, but it also comes with the old product. So anyone who DID wait the few months suddenly gets a significantly better deal, and people who didn’t wait have to pay the same price for less because they already have the original product.

It’s not as much a monetary issue as it is the principle of the thing. If they simply offered the expansion by itself for previous owners of the game, or offered a free character slot or two seeing as there’s a new class, that would at least be SOMETHING, but instead, it’s simply older players getting the raw end of the deal. It’s not like I got years of fun out of this game, I didn’t. I got maybe a few months in, and then this happened.

You can’t just compare this to other games, single player or otherwise, and say “well other models are worse, so that makes this one good.” In fact, older expansions in Guild Wars 1 DID come with a free character slot when it released a new class, so it’s not even like they haven’t done exactly the kind of thing I’m suggesting in the past. They just decided not to this time, and because other MMO’s have even worse deals, people like you are perfectly okay with it, because hey, it could be worse.

If the best sex in the world gives me an STD I’m not going to suddenly enjoy it because it wasn’t AIDS. I’m still gonna be upset that I got one at all.

All I’m looking for here is either the expansion sold separately, or some other incentives for previous owners to make that extra $20ish dollars worth it.

If you spend your life worrying that other people get better deals than you do then life is going to be annoying. In reality the ‘model’ is you pay or you don’t based on what value you think a product will give you. GW2 at $25-30 a year and a bonus to new players is a steal. Be happy for other people who are getting to join and enrich the GW2 community with a bargain.

Example : I bought a music album 5 years ago, this year i buy the bands new album that has their old tracks free as a bonus.

Example : where the first book in a trilogy cost £10 5 years ago, now i can get that book along with the next 2 books in a special deal with the final part of the trilogy.

Example : DVD’s as above.

Example : every other AAA MMOROG as above.

Example : Most good Single player games with expansions (steam anyone)

Example – pretty much every entertainment model.

but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

Posted by: XFlyingBeeX.2836

XFlyingBeeX.2836

- Why HoT upgrade cost same as GW2 + HoT expansion?
So I have paid 50€ for GW2 and now I have to pay 45€ for an upgrade?!!

Thats the way you loose players.

(edited by XFlyingBeeX.2836)

Posted by: Rankomonaut.4708

Rankomonaut.4708

You are… what… half a year too late to complain?

Posted by: lukejoe.1592

lukejoe.1592

Still a valid question!

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Not a valid question, has been answered.

Posted by: lukejoe.1592

lukejoe.1592

I think it’s kind of awesome that this thread is still chugging along. I still haven’t bought HoT. There’s too many other good games to play to shell out money for this without getting the free character slot STANDARD and AFTER RELEASE.

Also, they butchered most of the classes…that took it’s toll on my excitement.

Posted by: Rankomonaut.4708

Rankomonaut.4708

î this

Please inform yourself. A-Net stated that, with every coming xpac the former games will be included.
If u paid for gw2 and played until HoT hit, it’s fine. Hope you got your fun for the 50€.
If you paid for gw2, paused and now need to pay again: I can understand your troubling concerns, but… why pay and don’t play?

vesica tempestas.1563

Its odd isn’kitten in most genre when people stop liking a game they just leave and play something else and return if they like what they see. Bizarrely in the mmorpg genre you get people declaring they are leaving half a year ago etc but they cant seem to let go (or maybe its letting go of their rpg char thats the issue), and worse seem to think the community at large needs to know this.

Posted by: XFlyingBeeX.2836

XFlyingBeeX.2836

At least they could fix and improve their engine…

Posted by: InsidiousWaffle.7086

InsidiousWaffle.7086

The subject is no longer a price conversation, and it has already been answered.

Can a mod please lock or merge this?

Inculpatus cedo.9234

- Why HoT upgrade cost same as GW2 + HoT expansion?
So I have paid 50€ for GW2 and now I have to pay 45€ for an upgrade?!!

Thats the way you loose players.

Here’s your answer(s): https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/HoT-Price-Feedback-Base-game-included-merged

Do try to scan the front page (or 2 or 3) for information regarding questions in the future. =)

Good luck.

Posted by: MAXIMILIANUS.3429

MAXIMILIANUS.3429

Just add expansion to gem shop for 4000 gems and end of story ! XD

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Heya all!

This is mine mail to Arena Net that i made after 13 loss streak.
At this moment i have 348 lost and 109 victory in ranked this season…
For most of players Match Making is disaster…
Please comment and help all players without HoT to get it. Thank you!

Dear Arena net

I would like to congratulate you for making expansion Heart of Thorns. It is really fun for all who have it…
BUT, the people that do not own it are angry on you especially because of match making in PVP. It is obvious that players without expansion loss 80% of the matches no matter what class and build they play. I understand that you need to make money, still this is no way… Please put expansion in gem store so we can buy it with gold exchange or put it for reasonable (15-20 EU) price . If you continue to do things like that you will lose most of players and game will be free for all soon. Do not let good old GW be same like other mmorpgs that collapsed suddenly.

Sincerely yours
MAXIMILIANUS

So what difference between having player that pay 0 real money or dont having them?? None, they generate 0 revenue, not a single game sell an expansion for “fake money”, they will never sell HoT for gems its make no sense at all. Paying 50 dollar once every 1 year and a half tops, for a game you will play a lot is not reasonable??? I think its really cheap.

You should play games where you buy the game once and play for years without having to dish out premium every two years. Most recently, sf5. Other genres include sports titles and fps. In fps you’ll get map packs…but someone how bought the map pack isn’t strictly more powerful than you are when playing the old maps.

I honestly don’t know when gamers start to devalue their own money, but if you want to use the ‘pay $50 a year for a game you’ll play a lot’ then I’ll ask you; why buy gw2 at all instead of playing LoL/Dota? Those are free…….literally INFINITELY more value than gw2 will ever be, if you’re using $$ vs hr as a justification.

Expansions are not new to games. Would you prefer that those who do not upgrade to be isolated from those that do upgrade?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Heya all!

This is mine mail to Arena Net that i made after 13 loss streak.
At this moment i have 348 lost and 109 victory in ranked this season…
For most of players Match Making is disaster…
Please comment and help all players without HoT to get it. Thank you!

Dear Arena net

I would like to congratulate you for making expansion Heart of Thorns. It is really fun for all who have it…
BUT, the people that do not own it are angry on you especially because of match making in PVP. It is obvious that players without expansion loss 80% of the matches no matter what class and build they play. I understand that you need to make money, still this is no way… Please put expansion in gem store so we can buy it with gold exchange or put it for reasonable (15-20 EU) price . If you continue to do things like that you will lose most of players and game will be free for all soon. Do not let good old GW be same like other mmorpgs that collapsed suddenly.

Sincerely yours
MAXIMILIANUS

So what difference between having player that pay 0 real money or dont having them?? None, they generate 0 revenue, not a single game sell an expansion for “fake money”, they will never sell HoT for gems its make no sense at all. Paying 50 dollar once every 1 year and a half tops, for a game you will play a lot is not reasonable??? I think its really cheap.

You should play games where you buy the game once and play for years without having to dish out premium every two years. Most recently, sf5. Other genres include sports titles and fps. In fps you’ll get map packs…but someone how bought the map pack isn’t strictly more powerful than you are when playing the old maps.

I honestly don’t know when gamers start to devalue their own money, but if you want to use the ‘pay $50 a year for a game you’ll play a lot’ then I’ll ask you; why buy gw2 at all instead of playing LoL/Dota? Those are free…….literally INFINITELY more value than gw2 will ever be, if you’re using $$ vs hr as a justification.

Are you really comparing something like Dota or LoL to an MMORPG. Really?

So how big is the open world on League of Legends. How many explorable quests are there. I’m guessing you must be a PvPer, because I’m thinking there’s a whole lot this game has to offer that LoL and Dota dont’ offer, like you know, PvE. Which is a major component of this game.

Comparing a moba to an MMORPG is like comparing a baseball to a pinball machine. You can buy a baseball much cheaper, but it’s also infinitely simpler and far cheaper to run.

Posted by: Feeh.1720

Feeh.1720

a year and the price is still the same, no extra content for those who make wvw and spvp only the new specializations but this is not worth the price.

gg Anet

Ayrilana.1396

a year and the price is still the same, no extra content for those who make wvw and spvp only the new specializations but this is not worth the price.

gg Anet

Why would Anet lower the price when it’s just going to be bundled with the next expansion? Besides, other retailers have offered the expansion at lower costs.

Those that do sPvP got a new mode (stronghold) and those that do WvW got a new map (desert borderlands). There’s also a handful of minor additions that Anet did as well. Whether or not players actually liked these doesn’t matter as content is still content.

Vayne.8563

gg Anet

You may not keep up with such things, but the WvW community is pretty happy with what’s going on so far. Not everything of course, but they feel more included in Anet’s decisions as a whole and there have been a number of very good changes to WvW. Saying that’s not the case makes the rest of your post something to question.

Seems to me, that some people are enjoy SPvP leagues and that some people are working toward the legendary PvP back piece.

You may not like what’s out there, but that doesn’t give you the right to say there’s no extra content.

Last I saw WvW had it’s reward structure redone, it had changes to the PPT system, the game is moving forward.

And it’s not even close to a year yet, btw.

Posted by: Darkness.9732

Darkness.9732

Definetly Hot isn’ t worth the price.

Posted by: galaxitus.8750

galaxitus.8750

Well, since they plan on releasing all expansion + core game in single package at each release, guess what’s the solution?

I’ll simply wait (being patient) and buy the latest “package” at every 2 or 3 expansions releases. Sure, I’ll miss the “formidable” opportunity of some free gems and limited edition digital bits of data we could name as “collectible in-game”. Maybe even miss one or two limited-time events.

This means, I won’t buy HoT, but maybe the next expansion that might be accessible in 2016 or early 2017. After all, I stopped playing the core game (before it went F2P) as I had new games and higher priorities for a bit more than 1 year.

This means I’ll pay something like 40$USD and get even more than today’s 40$USD’s worth because the next “release” will include both HoT and whatever next expansion that comes around. If the new expansion doesn’t seems to be to my taste, I’ll wait for the next one until I think I’ll actually like the new content + HoT.

Right now, HoT doesn’t worth 40$USD (standard package) and I’m not a big fan of digital content for the remaining +50$ that comes from the deluxe or its gem combined package. (100$USD for a deluxe expansion that doesn’t even includes any kind of real-life material? Yeah right…)

So, in the end, I’ll pay 40$ for the HoT + whatever next expansions I see fit and all I got to do is play the core game or play another game until it comes around. It’s a double-edged blade they’re using there and I don’t plan on cutting myself on it.

vesica tempestas.1563

Do you need to post on a forum to say you dont fancy a film, but you will buy it on pay for view when it comes out, or do you need to post on a forum because you dont see a particular music album as value for money, but would be tempted if it was part of a double album offer in the future.

You see Anet are offering exactly what you are looking, a future budget version for those that don’t think full price offers enough value. However some people do not have the wit to see this, all they see is corporations & conspiracy – too much tv over the years dulls the brain. $10-15 sub a month + expansion cost is ofc better value?

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I have no money issue, it’s okay to charge for one pack with expansion, that’s pretty normal. In WoW new players won’t pay for most old expansions, too. Don’t know what’s all the fuzz about.

But I must admit that 50€$ is extremely high priced for such a small expansion. Only four maps, no single dungeon, one raid on the PvE side. No, that’s really thin. And now 8-9 months into the ‘expansion cycle’ we don’t have any additional stuff like new maps etc. I hope they’ll do it better with the next expansion and with a reasonable price tag.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

vesica tempestas.1563

I have no money issue, it’s okay to charge for one pack with expansion, that’s pretty normal. In WoW new players won’t pay for most old expansions, too. Don’t know what’s all the fuzz about.

But I must admit that 50€$ is extremely high priced for such a small expansion. Only four maps, no single dungeon, one raid on the PvE side. No, that’s really thin. And now 8-9 months into the ‘expansion cycle’ we don’t have any additional stuff like new maps etc. I hope they’ll do it better with the next expansion and with a reasonable price tag.

Compare average yearly cost including expansions against every other AA mmorpg, its the most realist ready reckoner, and shows GW2 to be far and away the cheapest.

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

You cant compare MMOs with a monthly sub like WOW, to GW2 which doesnt have a monthly sub.
Expansions will always be more expensive for F2P games simply because the lost revenue by not having a monthly sub has to come from somewhere else.
Making new content is the most expensive part of an MMO, as its the most labor intensive.
Good graphic artists dont come cheap.

Posted by: macfiain.5341

macfiain.5341

hi I am writing to complain about guild wars 2 being released free after I purched guild wars 2 by the time I actually got a pc that would be able to handle the download gw2 was already free

Posted by: simplesimon.2084

simplesimon.2084

They did make a free version of GW2, but it doesn’t have the same level of access as a paid account.

Posted by: Nansen.4631

Nansen.4631

Hi,

Technically you still have advantages compared to a free to play player as they have way limits in things they can do. For an overview I suggest you go to this link:

https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/95982157-Account-types-Free-Core-HoT

Posted by: Kuja.2503

Kuja.2503

I’m super late to the party but here are my thoughts! I bought this game years ago and thought I’d get back into it as they have the expansion.. until I saw that the devs are saying the £35 price tag is for the expansion alone!

In what world is £35 an acceptable price for an expansion with so little content? I would have paid £10 max for this, as I have already sunk £30 into the core game. Having no cheap upgrade option has put me off indefinitely. What’s more is Anet have said each future expansion will be similarly priced, so if I wanted the first two expansions I would end up paying £30 core game, £35 expansion 1, £35-40 expansion 2 or over £100. This shouldn’t be acceptable just because it is an MMO- thousands of other games offer the same amount of playtime.

Sorry Anet but I’m taking this extra £70 and using on games which are several generations ahead of GW2, which will keep me busy for hundreds more hours.

vesica tempestas.1563

I’m super late to the party but here are my thoughts! I bought this game years ago and thought I’d get back into it as they have the expansion.. until I saw that the devs are saying the £35 price tag is for the expansion alone!

In what world is £35 an acceptable price for an expansion with so little content? I would have paid £10 max for this, as I have already sunk £30 into the core game. Having no cheap upgrade option has put me off indefinitely. What’s more is Anet have said each future expansion will be similarly priced, so if I wanted the first two expansions I would end up paying £30 core game, £35 expansion 1, £35-40 expansion 2 or over £100. This shouldn’t be acceptable just because it is an MMO- thousands of other games offer the same amount of playtime.

Sorry Anet but I’m taking this extra £70 and using on games which are several generations ahead of GW2, which will keep me busy for hundreds more hours.

i will do the basic math for you shall I.

Average price (expansion + min payment per month to maintain and play characters on server):

GW2 = £3.00 a month
Other AAA MMO £13 a month

Now add on to that the average AAA mmo invalidates all the old content with their expansion doe to gear levelling, GW2 does not.

Clearly £3.00 is far cheaper than any other AAA MMORPG out there so the root cause of you post is not the cost, its actually your dislike of HOT in the guise of a price complaint, in which case you wouldnt buy it – so whats the problem?

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Buy every other GW2 XPac. Since they plan to bundle core and the older XPac into the next one, you could get two for the price of one. Or buy Hot from an authorized retailer offering a box at a discount. That’s one advantage of coming late to the party.

Also, you cannot name an MMO that isn’t F2P (with all the annoyance and inconvenience that comes with F2P) that offers more for that amount. MMO’s with subs certainly charge more, and the other B2P MMO’s charge similar amounts for content additions. If you can get as much playtime from non-MMO’s as from MMO’s, you’re unlike a lot of other players, and are thus ahead of the game. More power to you.

Kuja.2503

Clearly £3.00 is far cheaper than any other AAA MMORPG out there so the root cause of you post is not the cost, its actually your dislike of HOT in the guise of a price complaint, in which case you wouldnt buy it – so whats the problem?

You misunderstand- I do not dislike HOT and I really enjoyed GW2. What I am saying is that £35 is too much to charge for a small expansion which adds very little extra to the core game. By charging this much, Anet are losing out on having the majority of their seven million users buy it. The content in HOT is not worth the price of a full game and they would make far more money overall if it was reasonably priced as there are millions out there who would gladly pay an extra £10 or so for the extra content. They would still make tens of millions from the sales – more than enough for a years work and plenty to keep the servers running until their next expansion. Why would most people pay £35 for 1% of the game when the other 99% is free? The lack of sales figures shows it is not selling as expected.

Buy every other GW2 XPac. Since they plan to bundle core and the older XPac into the next one, you could get two for the price of one. Or buy Hot from an authorized retailer offering a box at a discount. That’s one advantage of coming late to the party.

That is a very good idea and something I may do. I will see what the next one has to offer and decide then!

vesica tempestas.1563

and im saying that £35 an expansion averages out at less than £3 a month in total versus any other mmo out there – its great value. this is not a single player game, its a mmorpg, very different model, and the expansion is not built in isolation. Many like Hot and think its value for money, and since Anet are sticking with the model, evidently the statistics bear this out.

If you want a true valuation, calculate number of hours played/£ per month.

Kuja.2503

and im saying that £35 an expansion averages out at less than £3 a month in total versus any other mmo out there – its great value. this is not a single player game, its a mmorpg, very different model, and the expansion is not built in isolation. Many like Hot and think its value for money, and since Anet are sticking with the model, evidently the statistics bear this out.

If you want a true valuation, calculate number of hours played/£ per month.

I get where you are coming from but the £3 a month figure would only work if it took you a year to complete the storyline of HOT. Having already finished the storyline of the core game, I expect I would not get more than a month out of the expansion so it would be £35 for one month. Just because other MMOs charge even more with monthly fees etc does not and should not make this value for money in comparison – subscription MMOs are extortionate IMO. If you are getting a year of play out of it then good on you but I for one am not enticed by a new class so have only a few maps and a storyline to get out of it.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

The expansion, just like the Core game, is much more than just the HoT storyline. One can not disregard content included in a purchase price, just because one dislikes it. It is still content, as games such as MMOs must cater to a wide variety of content and potential players.

And, don’t forget, there is more ‘storyline’ dropping next week, and every 2 to 3 months after. All part of the purchase price of HoT.

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Kuja.2503

The expansion, just like the Core game, is much more than just the HoT storyline. One can not disregard content included in a purchase price, just because one dislikes it. It is still content, as games such as MMOs must cater to a wide variety of content and potential players.

And, don’t forget, there is more ‘storyline’ dropping next week, and every 2 to 3 months after. All part of the purchase price of HoT.

Even if I did absolutely everything HoT has to offer I would still not get more than a month out of it. We are still talking about the price – the core game was released with 8 classes, dozens of maps and thousands of hours of playtime. The expansion was released at the same price, yet only has one class, a few maps and a negliable fraction of the playtime. Plus, if Living World 3 is anything like the first season, then episodes will be over in a matter of hours. I still see no reason to buy HoT when it is priced so disproportionately.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Then, it is best you do not. No one can make decisions for you, and if you feel you would not benefit from all the expansion has to offer, it’s best you abstain from participating.

Good luck.

Ayrilana.1396

Even if I did absolutely everything HoT has to offer I would still not get more than a month out of it. We are still talking about the price – the core game was released with 8 classes, dozens of maps and thousands of hours of playtime. The expansion was released at the same price, yet only has one class, a few maps and a negliable fraction of the playtime. Plus, if Living World 3 is anything like the first season, then episodes will be over in a matter of hours. I still see no reason to buy HoT when it is priced so disproportionately.

Really? I sure got more than a month out of it.

The expansion was comparatively priced to other expansions. Expansions also never contain the same amount of content as its core game. If you believe otherwise then looks like you will never buy an expansion and those Fallout 4 DLC’s that so many people are looking forward to must be a bad deal.

Content is only worth to someone for what they’re willing to pay for it.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

The expansion was comparatively priced to other expansions. Expansions also never contain the same amount of content as its core game. If you believe otherwise then looks like you will never buy an expansion and those Fallout 4 DLC’s that so many people are looking forward to must be a bad deal.

I still don’t understand how people are willing to pay 50 dollars for such a lack of content. HoT was comparatively priced to WoW’s expansion, which is the only MMORPG daring enough to price their expansion at 50 dollars. Unless of course you can name another MMORPG that priced their expansion at 50 dollars. WoW: Legion also has…. I would say about 10 times the amount of content that HoT does.

Here is what WoW: Legion contains – http://us.battle.net/wow/en/legion/#features

By this point, you’ll probably argue that Anet doesn’t have the number of employees that Blizzard does, and therefore doesn’t have to meet the content that WoW: Legion has set.

And I will say: Well, they compared the price of their expansion to that of WoW’s, so did Anet just forget to compare the amount of content too?

Think about what you’re saying here. “Expansions also never contain the same amount of content as its core game”. True, but that DOES NOT warrant a 50 dollar price tag. You pay 60 dollars for a full game, and then 50 dollars for not even 1/10th of the content of the 60 dollar game? Logically, that’s a rip-off.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Vayne.8563

And yet other people get many months out of it, so I’m not sure why it’s only a month for you.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

One could probably finish everything HoT has to offer, if one plays 16-20 hours a day. I’m guessing most players do not, though, so what’s on offer takes much more than 1 month.

Regardless, if someone doesn’t find value in a product, one should stay far away from said product, and leave it to those that appreciate it. =)

Vayne.8563

I still don’t understand how people are willing to pay 50 dollars for such a lack of content. HoT was comparatively priced to WoW’s expansion, which is the only MMORPG daring enough to price their expansion at 50 dollars. Unless of course you can name another MMORPG that priced their expansion at 50 dollars. WoW: Legion also has…. I would say about 10 times the amount of content that HoT does.

Here is what WoW: Legion contains – http://us.battle.net/wow/en/legion/#features

By this point, you’ll probably argue that Anet doesn’t have the number of employees that Blizzard does, and therefore doesn’t have to meet the content that WoW: Legion has set.

And I will say: Well, they compared the price of their expansion to that of WoW’s, so did Anet just forget to compare the amount of content too?

Think about what you’re saying here. “Expansions also never contain the same amount of content as its core game”. True, but that DOES NOT warrant a 50 dollar price tag. You pay 60 dollars for a full game, and then 50 dollars for not even 1/10th of the content of the 60 dollar game? Logically, that’s a rip-off.

HoT was priced at the same price as WOW’s sub for a game that doesn’t charge a monthly sub. If you play for WoW every month which is $15 a month, over a year you’ve paid $180 plus the price of the expansion. The entire business model is different. FF XIV is the same.

Games like SWTOR are free to play with an “optional” sub that isn’t really so optional at all. I believe you’ll find that you don’t get more bang for your buck with WOW or FF XIV, you just keep paying all the time…and they still hit you with a price on the expansion and they also have cash shops.

I don’t see how people can play a game for three years that doesnt’ require them to pay at all if they don’t want to and then think $50 is an outrageous price for an expansion particularly an expansion that rewrote many of the basic systems of the game.

ProtoGunner.4953

Yet there are a lot of players who bought gems for thousands of $. The comparison with a sub game is incongruous since there is such an extensive gem store which they make a lot of money of. No, it’s a fact that this expansion is small and has little content, and there is no excuse for it. They rushed it (imagine HOT was first planned as free ‘seasoned’ content) and the pricing was bad and that’s why it wasn’t up to their expectations, it’s that simple. They will do it better next time.

‘would of been’ —> wrong

Vayne.8563

Yet there are a lot of players who bought gems for thousands of $. The comparison with a sub game is incongruous since there is such an extensive gem store which they make a lot of money of. No, it’s a fact that this expansion is small and has little content, and there is no excuse for it. They rushed it (imagine HOT was first planned as free ‘seasoned’ content) and the pricing was bad and that’s why it wasn’t up to their expectations, it’s that simple. They will do it better next time.

Saying there’s no excuse for something is meaningless. There doesn’t need to be an excuse. A company offers a product and if you think it’s worth it you buy it. Some people bought it without knowing it was worth it, It was absolutely worth it to me as it much improved the game. Anet was very direct in saying this expansion would be light on content, thus they don’t need to make an excuse for it being light on content. Anyone who didn’t bother to do basic research on what they were getting, that’s their own lookout.

As far as the gem store we KNOW Guild Wars 2 makes roughly 8 million dollars a month before expenses as income, which includes sales of the game and gem store. This is something we know from quarterly reports

Last we heard, WoW had over 4 million subs. 4 million subs at $15 a month is $60 million dollars a month just in subs alone or roughly 8 times the income that Anet makes monthly. 8 times. That’s an awfully big difference in income over all.

And people in WOW, probably one of the biggest complaints you hear from WOW, is the content draught. Yes,. WoW players who pay $15 a month complain about a content draught, quite frequently. And they have a cash shop. And they charge for the expansion and I guarantee you HoT expansion copies didn’t touch what a WoW expansion is going to sell.

There’s no need for an excuse. Anet told us we were getting less content but they were redoing the game. Anet redid the game and gave us less content.

But those maps are still more fun than any expansion I’ve played in any MMO I’ve played. The fact is, there isn’t any excuse necessary. People need to look at the industry as a whole before they start pointing fingers and asking for excuses.

ProtoGunner.4953

It’s still too little content. You can’t deny that. Anyone who states otherwise is just whiteknighting this fact. However, I enjoyed the content I played and I well played a couple of 100 hours out of it. But that’s it, there’s not much else to do. No dungeons, only one raid (which is great imo). Also they sold fractals as the new 5man content without adding one single fractals in almost one year after expansion… Even small companies who do FTP games add more dungeons. Of course they are simple but Anet tends to produce either an over fancied complex thing or nothing. Why not just give people what they want? They don’t have to re-invent the wheel. Just give us meaty dungeons with a lot of hard hitting mobs and a few bosses (and some unique rewards) and I am happy. I still love the old dungeons and do them quite often.

‘would of been’ —> wrong

Ayrilana.1396

Your link doesn’t show much content.