HoT Price Feedback + Base game included [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Sytherek.7689

Sytherek.7689

Why should we pay for something we have already bought. Unless this becomes fairer, players will vote with their money and not bother either with this expansion or any other in the future !

Simples.

How about…

If you already have the game, buy the expansion for $50 and get a free character slot worth $10.

If you’re a new player, buy the expansion for $50, and get the base original game worth $10 at current prices.

I see nothing unfair or misleading (now that they’ve added the character slot for vets), and have upgraded all three in-house account with the $50 option quite happily while buying kitten for a new member of the family.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

This free core game is a reply from Anet, after – I repeat, after the community tell how bad this business model is.

No, it was not. If people had read the tooltip of the editions, they would have seen the same thing that Anet stated in a post later on. The core game was always a free bonus for new accounts when purchasing the expansion.

The refund for buyers after january is again a reply after this controversy.

Yes. The refund was due to a misunderstanding with the FAQS page which may have misled some players to purchase the game not knowing that the expansion would have provided a bonus for new accounts had they waited a few more months.

There’s no free core game… this cost is being charged from the huge veteran playerbase, since we are paying the game twice. And as for we know, there’s going to be a third time and so on…

The core game is free for new accounts that purchase the expansion and it is not being subsidized by existing players. The expansion was going to cost $50 regardless as to whether the expansion was included or not.

Most of all, it´s not how MUCH… it’s HOW Anet is charging us. This is simply taking us for granted! It’s wrong to charge a cent twice for the same package. Obviously, no one is obligated to buy it. Who feels fine with it, ok, no problem at all. I won’t criticise the ones buying it. I’m complaining about this behaviour from Anet.

Some people do have issues with how much the expansion costs. As I said above, you’re not buying the core game twice.

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

I think that this so called “give away” of the core game is a blatant kick in the teeth of every existing player in the game, but that’s their choice. My main concern is if this expansion will have enough content to justify that price tag. I’m sure not going to pre-order until we know for sure what our money is buying, and if as I suspect, the expansion content is a tiny fraction of the size of the original game, then I’ll wait until it’s selling for a tiny fraction of the original games price before I buy it. I’d rather miss out on the “free” character slot than buy a pig in a poke.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

Posted by: Tirien.1326

Tirien.1326

Amazing that some people here haven’t thought it through just yet, let it sink in. What i’m about to tell you, will make it sink in faster. Here goes..

“I purchased gw2 3 years ago, and have spend a good amount on gems with real money, does this mean i should get this expansion for free, since i helped out more than most on the gem store, and maybe throw in some really nice things like housing only for the ones who spend as much as me on gems?”

The answer is NO. Now… let the process of this sink in, i do hope you understand.

Posted by: Tirien.1326

Tirien.1326

I think that this so called “give away” of the core game is a blatant kick in the teeth of every existing player in the game, but that’s their choice. My main concern is if this expansion will have enough content to justify that price tag. I’m sure not going to pre-order until we know for sure what our money is buying, and if as I suspect, the expansion content is a tiny fraction of the size of the original game, then I’ll wait until it’s selling for a tiny fraction of the original games price before I buy it. I’d rather miss out on the “free” character slot than buy a pig in a poke.

Wait for the next expansion and get this one for free, show us that you truly believe what you say you believe.

I would suggest waiting 10 years for the last expansion so you can get everything before for free, might wanna try that?

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

Wait for the next expansion and get this one for free, show us that you truly believe what you say you believe.

I would suggest waiting 10 years for the last expansion so you can get everything before for free, might wanna try that?

You don’t get to put words in my mouth and act like you are making some kind of point. Never, in any of my posts have I asked for anything for free, so stop throwing out strawmen. You apologists keep acting like the money we’ve spent on content we’ve already enjoyed was some kind of blessed gift from ArenaNet rather than exactly what we PAID for. You’re wrong. You also in no way addressed my main concern, which is the volume of playable content in this expansion, and whether it will constitute a large fraction of the volume found in the original game. Since they decided to charge a large fraction of the original game’s price for it. But you go on making yourself feel better, championing a company that doesn’t need your help and acting like those of us who disagree with you don’t have any valid arguments because you said so.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

Its enough for me. I gave them money they gave me a fun game. I gave them more money they gave me gems to buy pretty things.

Been here since headstart, i dont feel owed in any way nor would i expect to

buying gems only count as donating to a fun game. At least that how i feel.

Posted by: Hashar.6082

Hashar.6082

The expansion was going to cost $50 regardless as to whether the expansion was included or not.

Thing is, they would never sell it to the new players if that was indeed the cost of the expansion alone, core game not included.
So no, it was not going to cost $50 regardless of whether the original GW2 was included or not. Bundling them together is the only possible way to do so, and it is also the only possible way to get $50 from a veteran who does not wish to buy the ultimate edition.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate ANet, nor do I hate the game – in fact, it’s still one of my favorites. However, I don’t love it blindly (and I firmly believe that blind love is a corruption of the feeling itself). Which is why it saddens me that I’m, apparently, being indeed “taken for granted.”

Ayrilana.1396

The expansion was going to cost $50 regardless as to whether the expansion was included or not.

Thing is, they would never sell it to the new players if that was indeed the cost of the expansion alone, core game not included.
So no, it was not going to cost $50 regardless of whether the original GW2 was included or not. Bundling them together is the only possible way to do so, and it is also the only possible way to get $50 from a veteran who does not wish to buy the ultimate edition.

New players would buy it. You can think of it as another way as people seem to bring up costs that they paid for. We paid $60 for the base game. New players would have been paying $75 for the base game and expansion if the expansion was not included free to new accounts. That’s $35 less than the cost that veterans would have to pay. They’d still be getting more value for their money spent than veterans.

The expansion would still sell for $50 whether you choose to believe it or not. They do take a slight loss in potential revenues they would have made from selling the core game separately but they do this by gaining increased sales of the expansion (which includes the core game for free to new accounts) from new players and also potential increases in gem store sales from these same players.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Ayrilana.1396

To Ayrilana.1396,

No offence intended, but after reading your repeated same view on this subject you not only sound like a high pressure sales person but I firmly believe you will pay any price for any product offered whilst under the opinion that it is an exclusive offer.

If you are a high pressure sales person are you on commission here?

If not it must be nice to have a never ending banking supply.

Either way, allow other peoples opinions to be read and not bullied by your same pressured replies, over, and over, and over, and over again.

Kind regards,

Cheeky

I personally feel that it’s worth the price which is why I purchased it. The extras that were available for the various editions were what I used to determine which edition that I bought.

The intent is not to bully people. I’ve intentionally tried to make sure that when it comes to making the purchase or not, I don’t force them to go one way or another. The only reasons that I have posted here is to clear of the confusion that the core game is included in the price of the expansion (which it is not) and the difference between value and cost including how they are not easily comparable between games.

Posted by: Cheeky Wizard.7496

Cheeky Wizard.7496

At the end of the day it seems that a lot of us do not feel that this expansion will be value for money, especially as it may be a smaller expansion that GW1 Eye of the North.

Posted by: PCPrincess.7394

PCPrincess.7394

Keep in mind that not every ‘veteran’ is a veteran who “enjoyed three years of the game”. Many of us paid for the original game and for one reason or another, (for me, a few very difficult semesters while working towards my degree) meant not getting to play the whole three years. Many of us are just coming back now with news of the upcoming expansion, so it is a bit hard to stomach that after buying the game and just now getting a chance to enjoy it, we will be asked to pay the equivalent of another game if we want to progress or enjoy all the game has to offer. I add my situation to the conversation to ensure that players in all situations are thought about when talking about the business decisions made by the company.

The Path to Hell is Paved With Good Intentions

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Keep in mind that not every ‘veteran’ is a veteran who “enjoyed three years of the game”. Many of us paid for the original game and for one reason or another, (for me, a few very difficult semesters while working towards my degree) meant not getting to play the whole three years. Many of us are just coming back now with news of the upcoming expansion, so it is a bit hard to stomach that after buying the game and just now getting a chance to enjoy it, we will be asked to pay the equivalent of another game if we want to progress or enjoy all the game has to offer. I add my situation to the conversation to ensure that players in all situations are thought about when talking about the business decisions made by the company.

I bought a car 3 year ago. I didn’t get to drive it much. That doesn’t mean it doesn’t come down in value. The game was selling for $10 on multiple occasions. It’s what happens with games.

Posted by: Aureol.2739

Aureol.2739

I’m aware that people who bought GW2 during the first quarter will be refunded… and what about the veteran’s – the playerbase who is supporting the game since the very beginning?

The people who supported the game from the beginning got to take part in everything. They got to do the Mad King’s Clocktower with every other player’s body getting in the way, they got precursors from the Ancient Karka, they got to delve into the Molten Facility to try to get jet packs, they met the new set of heroes that are going to be carrying us into Heart of Thorns as they were introduced, they got to experience Tequatl back when it didn’t matter if he summoned bone walls because everyone stood inside them anyway, they got to experience the tension and camaraderie of fighting Scarlet’s Marionette in Lornar’s Pass, they participated in the epic Battle of Lion’s Arch, and they got every episode of the Living Story Season Two for free on top of all that just for logging in.

You’ve supported the game from the very beginning, and you’ve been amply rewarded for it with what I assume has been close to three years of enjoyable gameplay, seeing as you’re still here. That is what you get as a veteran player. That is your advantage. If all of that is meaningless to you, if that’s something that you’re going to brush off because you’re upset that a new player might get a deal now, then perhaps this expansion isn’t for you. Your interests might be better served elsewhere.

This. I have only played a month, and I bought the game for $20. I don’t know how much it originally cost; let’s just say $50. You might say that you were ripped off, and you might say that Anet loves new people like me. At the same time, I gladly would’ve paid the extra $30-40 to have been a part of this game since the beginning.

You might say you are getting cheated for buying the expansion at $50 when new players get the base game and expansion for the same price. I’m not saying Anet shouldn’t give more to veterans, but what I am saying is think about all the time, fun (hopefully), and experiences you had that will be very difficult for newcomers to have.

It’s different.

Now, whether the expansion is worth $50 in the first place is a whole different question, but that is not what this thread is about.

Posted by: Hashar.6082

Hashar.6082

The expansion would still sell for $50 whether you choose to believe it or not. They do take a slight loss in potential revenues they would have made from selling the core game separately

So you actually do believe that any significant number of new players would have bought the core game and the expansion if they were priced separately and amounted to $75 total? Because I certainly don’t. Some would, sure. The majority is much more likely to wait for a sale or skip the game entirely.

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Lets also not forget that it is pretty shady to sell an expansion for the price of a full game, and then claim that the core game is included for free.

If that is the case…

-Then why is the price exactly that of a full standalone game?
-Then why not include a free key for the core game along with our purchase?

How are we the consumer supposed to tell the difference here between buying HOT and getting the core game for free, or buying the full game again and getting HOT for free?

What is the difference?

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Ayrilana.1396

The expansion would still sell for $50 whether you choose to believe it or not. They do take a slight loss in potential revenues they would have made from selling the core game separately

So you actually do believe that any significant number of new players would have bought the core game and the expansion if they were priced separately and amounted to $75 total? Because I certainly don’t. Some would, sure. The majority is much more likely to wait for a sale or skip the game entirely.

Some may wait for a sale and some may not. It’s impossible for either of us to be sure. What I do know is that those that actually have an interest in the game would have purchased it. More so when there is an actual sale which is how things tend to work. The point of the post that you quotes (well you only quoted part of it) was to dispute your claim that nobody would buy it. I also wanted to point out that the newer players would still get a better deal than veterans as they got both for $75 compared to the $110 that they paid.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

To Ayrilana.1396,

No offence intended, but after reading your repeated same view on this subject you not only sound like a high pressure sales person but I firmly believe you will pay any price for any product offered whilst under the opinion that it is an exclusive offer.

Either way, allow other peoples opinions to be read and not bullied by your same pressured replies, over, and over, and over, and over again.

Kind regards,

Cheeky

I personally feel that it’s worth the price which is why I purchased it. The extras that were available for the various editions were what I used to determine which edition that I bought.

The intent is not to bully people. I’ve intentionally tried to make sure that when it comes to making the purchase or not, I don’t force them to go one way or another. The only reasons that I have posted here is to clear of the confusion that the core game is included in the price of the expansion (which it is not) and the difference between value and cost including how they are not easily comparable between games.

There is no expansion for sale. Since no one has ever sold, or intends to sell the product alone, it is not for sale.

There is one product called gw2 heart of thornes. It is essentially the new version of gw2 and it has one price.

The fact that these items cannot be sold seperately means it deceptive to say you are getting one free.
It eould be like me selling a picture of man walking down the street and claiming im selling a picture of a man, and giving you a picture of a street free.
Its not accurate, its one picture. The price given is obviously for both since you cannot buy them seperately

Ayrilana.1396

To Ayrilana.1396,

Kind regards,

Cheeky

There is no expansion for sale. Since no one has ever sold, or intends to sell the product alone, it is not for sale.

There is one product called gw2 heart of thornes. It is essentially the new version of gw2 and it has one price.

The fact that these items cannot be sold seperately means it deceptive to say you are getting one free.
It eould be like me selling a picture of man walking down the street and claiming im selling a picture of a man, and giving you a picture of a street free.
Its not accurate, its one picture. The price given is obviously for both since you cannot buy them seperately

It’s a free bonus for all new accounts. Whether you can buy the core game separately or not still doesn’t change that. If you absolutely want to think of there being only one product then you can think of it being that only the expansion is sold. All new accounts get the core game as a free bonus while existing accounts get the expansion which they had paid for. The cost of the core game is not factored into the price of the expansion.

Posted by: Quintuplebeta.3914

Quintuplebeta.3914

Great game with promising content to come. No reason to complain as you would pay nearly the same for a WoW expansion which has less content.

Posted by: The Only Exception.7430

The Only Exception.7430

I’m aware that people who bought GW2 during the first quarter will be refunded… and what about the veteran’s – the playerbase who is supporting the game since the very beginning?

The people who supported the game from the beginning got to take part in everything. They got to do the Mad King’s Clocktower with every other player’s body getting in the way, they got precursors from the Ancient Karka, they got to delve into the Molten Facility to try to get jet packs, they met the new set of heroes that are going to be carrying us into Heart of Thorns as they were introduced, they got to experience Tequatl back when it didn’t matter if he summoned bone walls because everyone stood inside them anyway, they got to experience the tension and camaraderie of fighting Scarlet’s Marionette in Lornar’s Pass, they participated in the epic Battle of Lion’s Arch, and they got every episode of the Living Story Season Two for free on top of all that just for logging in.

You’ve supported the game from the very beginning, and you’ve been amply rewarded for it with what I assume has been close to three years of enjoyable gameplay, seeing as you’re still here. That is what you get as a veteran player. That is your advantage. If all of that is meaningless to you, if that’s something that you’re going to brush off because you’re upset that a new player might get a deal now, then perhaps this expansion isn’t for you. Your interests might be better served elsewhere.

^

The expansion is just $50, that is very cheap for a free to play MMO.

Omnibus Locis Fit Caedes

Caedes Godslayer – Guardian

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

^

GW2 is not a free to play MMO. I had to buy it to play it at all. That means it’s not free to play. It’s buy to play.

That being said, the EP is worth $50 to ANet. They are giving the base game to new players for free.

Posted by: Bull Durham.3264

Bull Durham.3264

If they called it Guild Wars 3 : Heart of Thorns there would be no debate. I don’t agree with the way they did this either. I will never buy it now since I feel left out of the beta because I refuse to buy what I already bought in order to play it. I am also disappointed that there has been no response to this thread from ArenaNet and it has been building over 11 days. It says that they don’t care about anybody except new players.

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

No reason to complain as you would pay nearly the same for a WoW expansion which has less content.

“Nearly the same” is not the same. It also remains to be seen if there is any WoW expansion with less content than HoT; based on everything ArenaNet has shown, nope, HoT has at most a tenth of the content from a WoW expansion.

Posted by: Jinath.1298

Jinath.1298

Why all the hate?
Didn’t you get that free extra character slot with your pre-purchase? You guys are so greedy! jk
In reality, I’m not about to buy the expansion. Not now. Not ever. All due to the way Anet treats their existing customer base. I mean, they will basically ignore a problem for long enough until it goes away on its own. Here is an example: Hall of Monuments.
Well, I certainly hope that all those new players who were bribed into buying the expansion+free core game are happy with their purchase. It will be less players in the end.

Posted by: Soja.5918

Soja.5918

I do tire of the complaining about there being no sort of recompense for ‘veterans’ since the base game is included with HoT for new players.

I have a sweet-kitten baseball cap that NO ONE will ever get again, only available on the gem store during the first week or so of release. There was also a wizard hat later in the year.

I’ve been playing the game for three years. I think I’ve gotten my $150’s worth (Collector’s Edition, you see). I think the sighing and pouting about the free game account with purchase is ridiculous. It’s an opportunity cost. We paid more, MUCH more, for admission. But we have also gotten to see more, do more, and influence more the course of this game.

The Crystal Desert beckons us. Ascension awaits us.

Keirlann Aurion – Ranger – Chieftain of the Ace Guard [AceG]

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

Eye of the North was like $30.

$50 is full-sized campaign money, what Prophecies/Factions/Nightfall cost. And each of those included a full continent worth of content!

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Eye of the North was like $30.

$50 is full-sized campaign money, what Prophecies/Factions/Nightfall cost. And each of those included a full continent worth of content!

Eye of the North was $30 7 years ago. What was gas, or electricity or phone bills back then? And it was $35, didn’t come with a class or any PvP changes.

Posted by: Kry.1697

Kry.1697

Since money is the issue, here is a free tip. You are not forced to pre-order through Arenanet. You can find pre-orders elsewhere as well. Some of those are cheaper also.

Posted by: Gorman.4372

Gorman.4372

Or you know, they could offer the bundle for the new players, and offer a standalone price for the vets.

Best of both worlds, and would have pretty much solved this entire debacle before it even started.

Posted by: jway.8293

jway.8293

About the expansion, I’m still hesitant to buy it…

1.) There’s even NO release date yet. This impressed me how desperate anet was in need of money (or funding).

2.) With the recent new ‘balance patch’, it feels just like another anet’s trial-and-error that breaks many current builds and change all PvP / WvW experiences. personally I’m not a fan of drastic change unless it’s very, very well designed with thorough testing. For every major changes come with balance issues, exploiters, and eventually bad gameplay experience.

3.) WvW server population balance is still a huge problem that anet intentionally ignores to tackle for centuries, yet, WvW is a large part in gw2 end-game contents. To me it’s more important than revamping the trait system that was already working fine. It seems like our server (and another server) has abandoned the WvW altogether, because there is one huge dominant server zerging everything in WvW. And this has been like this for several f—-ing months now. I paid for this game for this s—-ty end game and need to pay extra to transfer to another server?

I personally don’t mind the absence of new living story but with those foundamental design flaws I can’t exepct a good gaming experience when HoT comes out. plus, again, it’s the price of nearly a full game, with only 1 more profession, 1 (or 2 ) additional character slot plus lots of uncertainties. I will get HoT months after it’s out. And time to move on to another game.

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

You can claim I’m not paying for the base game again until you’re blue, the fact is that all 3 bundles contain it and I am not discounted for what I already own. I never double buy software and that’s that. Until I see a package that recognizes I already own the game I see no need to upgrade my software (at least to early adopt).

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: Kityn.8247

Kityn.8247

Anet should just pony up and give current GW2 players who buy HoT 2 additional character slots. I would be happy with that.

(edited by Kityn.8247)

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

It would be like me selling a picture of man walking down the street and claiming I’m selling a picture of a man, and giving you a picture of a street free.
Its not accurate, its one picture. The price given is obviously for both since you cannot buy them separately

This is a great analogy.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: Fred Fargone.3127

Fred Fargone.3127

I get it, we get 1 (one) new character slot if we pay $50 for the expansion. re-purchase the game now.
And if we wait for a couple of years before buying, we’ll get 2 expansions instead of one
And if we wait for a couple more years, we’ll get 3 expansions.

I’m not gruntled at this. Not even nearly.
The way I see it, this model works by periodically making the game incomplete for veteran players who have supported the game for years, demanding they re-purchase the entire game for the full price, again and again.
No wonder there is a distinct lack of happy veterans in this thread.

EDIT:
Just why can’t we purchase the expansion separately, perhaps for a price that is appropriate for an expansion? To me, this current marketing plan just feels like an attempt to alienate the existing playerbase in hopes of getting a new one.

Still, I’ll probably purchase the most expensive package for the expansion once again, but I’m seriously not happy about it. There should be either more for veterans, or some way to upgrade our games back to the full version for smaller price than re-purchasing the entire game again.

By the way, why does the “Purchase HoT and get the base game for free” only apply to new players? I wouldn’t mind having 2nd key for the base game, as I could gift it to a friend.
Very disgruntling.

People who can argue often offer a good and meaningful conversation about the subject.
People who can’t tend to call the opponent troll, scream something utterly incomprehensible
and finally result to personal insults.

(edited by Fred Fargone.3127)

Posted by: pickpocket.2071

pickpocket.2071

Anet doesn’t care About its current players, they rarely respond to posts take months to fix bugs or never. anet only cares about new players because there so good at making old ones leave. They need to restock the herd full of fanboy sheep

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

It would be like me selling a picture of man walking down the street and claiming im selling a picture of a man, and giving you a picture of a street free.

Except most people here already have a picture of that street and just want that man added to it without having to pay the same price as someone who buys the picture of the street and the man together.

The fact that you cannot buy the expansion separately was a choice by Anet and it’s a last minute choice. They didn’t have to do it like this. It could’ve been offered at a reduced price for people who already own the game as it was.

Most games gives package deals but not generally at the release of the expansion but a year later or something. If they’d priced it at 40 bucks and thrown in the core game for 10 bucks people probably wouldn’t have complained. Certainly not as much as they have now.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

There are many topics on the price of HoT going around but none are about this “issue” I have with it. Isn’t it weird that HoT base game costs $49.99 but €44.99 although the numbers are exactly the same for the Deluxe / Ultimate edition. What gives? I know the price of gems is already a rip off for Europeans, charging the same price in euros/dollars, but why does the expansion Deluxe / Ultimate editions cost the same?

Posted by: psizone.8437

psizone.8437

It’s been discussed a bunch, I think someone mentioned the sales for the EU are handled by a different distributor (one in Ireland) and the UK and EU both add tax onto digital purchases whereas the US doesn’t.

Brotherhood of Blub [blub]

Posted by: Eponet.4829

Eponet.4829

No reason to complain as you would pay nearly the same for a WoW expansion which has less content.

“Nearly the same” is not the same. It also remains to be seen if there is any WoW expansion with less content than HoT; based on everything ArenaNet has shown, nope, HoT has at most a tenth of the content from a WoW expansion.

Warlords of Draenor is going to be tough to beat.

As someone who’s played it, it doesn’t have much content, it just has a lot of gating that makes it take forever.

(edited by Eponet.4829)

Posted by: Nexus.3071

Nexus.3071

Why not just give us another CD key for the core game? I mean we already paid $60 for the original when it came out…plus this would give us the opportunity to have other people play the game that might end up buying it for themselves. That means free advertising for you and we don’t feel quite as ripped off. OR just knock $20 off the expansion price for members who already own the core game…. I really feel like the original players are getting the short end of the stick here…..

MATH for the original player:
original game (on release date) = $60
expansion + nothing for original players = $50
TOTAL = $110

MATH for new players:
original game = free
expansion (which includes the original game) = $50
TOTAL = $50

So there’s a $60 deficit for people who were loyal and bought the game when it originally released… That’s basically punishing people for buying the game years ago. Not cool…

Ayrilana.1396

Why not just give us another CD key for the core game? I mean we already paid $60 for the original when it came out…plus this would give us the opportunity to have other people play the game that might end up buying it for themselves. That means free advertising for you and we don’t feel quite as ripped off. OR just knock $20 off the expansion price for members who already own the core game…. I really feel like the original players are getting the short end of the stick here…..

TOTAL = $110

MATH for new players:
original game = free
TOTAL = $50

So there’s a $60 deficit for people who were loyal and bought the game when it originally released… That’s basically punishing people for buying the game years ago. Not cool…

Were you complaining when they sold the game for $10 those couple weekends? Are you upset when you buy a game for $60 and years later its price drops? You need to realize that prices of games drop over time. Your value hasn’t diminished because someone X amount of years later got it for cheaper.

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

TOTAL = $110

MATH for new players:
original game = free
TOTAL = $50

Nexus, that’s not at all how it works. You have been playing the game for the past few years. You paid money to be able to play the game before now.

Y’all think you’re a bunch of economic geniuses, but in reality it shows there is very little understanding on these forums about cost, depreciation/aging, and new product sales.

I find it very difficult to believe that there is any discussion still about the fairness of the business model. the only thing worth complaining about, potentially, is the price itself. Everything else just shows the severest form of entitlement.

Nexus.3071

TOTAL = $110

MATH for new players:
original game = free
TOTAL = $50

Nexus, that’s not at all how it works. You have been playing the game for the past few years. You paid money to be able to play the game before now.

Y’all think you’re a bunch of economic geniuses, but in reality it shows there is very little understanding on these forums about cost, depreciation/aging, and new product sales.

I find it very difficult to believe that there is any discussion still about the fairness of the business model. the only thing worth complaining about, potentially, is the price itself. Everything else just shows the severest form of entitlement.

I completely understand how this all works and I’m not claiming to be an economic genius, however the fact remains that I and many other users have to spend more money in order to enjoy the same product. That good enough for you? Look at WoW…yes the price dropped for the original game, however you were still required to purchase the original AND the expansion. Blizzard didn’t ding old players because they already owned the game. They just asked for money for the new game. PLUS they had a dreaded subscription base, yet its the most popular MMO to date. Now how did they get all those people to buy they game? I wonder? Maybe something to do with not ripping off the original audience? Being fair when it came to pricing? Maybe attracting newcomer’s through the buddy system/refer a friend and free trial cd keys? Don’t advertise free stuff that isn’t free for everyone. And don’t alienate your original audience by making them pay more for less. And we all reserve the right to voice our concerns over this business model… It’s a kitten poor decision on Anet’s part and I hope they find the common sense to address it. $50 for both games is a great price for people new to the game but way too expensive for those who have owned it since launch.

Ayrilana.1396

TOTAL = $110

MATH for new players:
original game = free
TOTAL = $50

I completely understand how this all works and I’m not claiming to be an economic genius, however the fact remains that I and many other users have to spend more money in order to enjoy the same product. That good enough for you? Look at WoW…yes the price dropped for the original game, however you were still required to purchase the original AND the expansion. Blizzard didn’t ding old players because they already owned the game. They just asked for money for the new game. PLUS they had a dreaded subscription base, yet its the most popular MMO to date. Now how did they get all those people to buy they game? I wonder? Maybe something to do with not ripping off the original audience? Being fair when it came to pricing? Maybe attracting newcomer’s through the buddy system/refer a friend and free trial cd keys? Don’t advertise free stuff that isn’t free for everyone. And don’t alienate your original audience by making them pay more for less. And we all reserve the right to voice our concerns over this business model… It’s a kitten poor decision on Anet’s part and I hope they find the common sense to address it. $50 for both games is a great price for people new to the game but way too expensive for those who have owned it since launch.

Even if the expansion price dropped by $20, they’d still be getting more than you. The primary issue that people have is with the price. If the expansion was $25-30 then all those still complaining would likely care less if the core game was included.

Nexus.3071

TOTAL = $110

MATH for new players:
original game = free
TOTAL = $50

Were you complaining when they sold the game for $10 those couple weekends? Are you upset when you buy a game for $60 and years later its price drops? You need to realize that prices of games drop over time. Your value hasn’t diminished because someone X amount of years later got it for cheaper.

I think you missed the point completely…. I’ll explain more simply for you, I don’t care that the price dropped… I payed $60 for this game at launch because it was awesome. I have no problem paying $60 for a good game. But $50 for an expansion? Plus new players get the old game for free? Give me some incentive to pay more for less….gems/in-game content/character slots/something. I will gladly pay $35 for “just the expansion” as I already own the core game but not $50.

Nexus.3071

TOTAL = $110

MATH for new players:
original game = free
TOTAL = $50

Even if the expansion price dropped by $20, they’d still be getting more than you. The primary issue that people have is with the price. If the expansion was $25-30 then all those still complaining would likely care less if the core game was included.

EXACTLY……prices should be lower for people who already own the game….now you’re getting it. Sheeeesh

Ayrilana.1396

TOTAL = $110

MATH for new players:
original game = free
TOTAL = $50

I think you missed the point completely…. I’ll explain more simply for you, I don’t care that the price dropped… I payed $60 for this game at launch because it was awesome. I have no problem paying $60 for a good game. But $50 for an expansion? Plus new players get the old game for free? Give me some incentive to pay more for less….gems/in-game content/character slots/something. I will gladly pay $35 for “just the expansion” as I already own the core game but not $50.

Maybe you should look at the math that you tried to educate us with. That deficit that you complained about was all from the core game being a free bonus for new accounts. Of that $60 deficit, $50 of it was part of the sales from those who purchased it during those couple of weekends. If you had an issue with the $60 deficit then you had an issue with the $10 sales.

Ayrilana.1396

TOTAL = $110

MATH for new players:
original game = free
TOTAL = $50

EXACTLY……prices should be lower for people who already own the game….now you’re getting it. Sheeeesh

You seem to be mistaken. I was not suggesting that prices for the expansion should be lower. I was just saying that when it comes down to it, those still complaining actually care more about the price rather than someone is getting more than them.

One such example is with you when you made your post about the “math” complaining about the deficit from those who purchased the game at full price compared to those that purchase it now. You felt it was unfair that veterans are paying $110 for the expansion and new players only $50 when the $60 deficit was from the core game. When I brought up that $50 of that deficit was also part of a werkend sale a couple of times, that wasn’t an issue for you. You then posted that your problem was the price of the expansion revealing what your actual complaint was.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Lets also not forget that it is pretty shady to sell an expansion for the price of a full game, and then claim that the core game is included for free.

If that is the case…

-Then why is the price exactly that of a full standalone game?
-Then why not include a free key for the core game along with our purchase?

How are we the consumer supposed to tell the difference here between buying HOT and getting the core game for free, or buying the full game again and getting HOT for free?

What is the difference?

I don’t think you put a lot of thought into this here:

“-Then why not include a free key for the core game along with our purchase?”

Really… what are you going to do with it? Make an alt account that would still need to purchase the expansion? Give it to someone else… that would still need to buy the expansion when they could have bought the whole thing at once?

It’s simple. You buy the expansion. If you’re new, you get the core thrown in as well as an incentive. If not, you get an extra character slot thrown in as incentive. It’s really not that complicated.

#TeamJadeQuarry