HoT Price Feedback + Base game included [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Ipimus.9827

Ipimus.9827

I bought Guildwars 2 deluxe edtion pre-release..and very happy with it. Why am I saddened…well as i have already bought GW2 why should I pay for ANOTHER COPY to take part in Heart of Thorns. What I mean is that I have to pay full price for the new addon which has..oh lookeee here.. a full copy of GW2 included. Why not release an addon pack for owners of GW2 rather than having them pay full price? But hey.. I’m cynical.. they are a company who are interested in making money.. end of story so why should they bother.

Posted by: clarkcd.6532

clarkcd.6532

It’s like you didn’t even read the answer posted on every page of this topic.

Posted by: Jinath.1298

Jinath.1298

New money vs. Old money.

Most current and veteran players have already spent a chunk of cash on the game since release and on gem store purchases during the last couple years which means that not a lot of money is currently being directed towards Anet’s pocket.

However, if Anet can get a large influx of new players who are adamant about playing GW2 for the next couple years or so and if those NEW players make regular purchases from the gem store, then Anet has a whole new positive cash flow into their company.

Anet is counting on the NEW players which is probably why they are trying to lure more of them in by offering the core game for free with the expansion.

I’m not saying Anet doesn’t care about the existing player base but they already have our money so why should they care?
They want other people’s money now.

Posted by: Goo.7926

Goo.7926

A.net is wrong about this and I think they could have sold more HoT pre-releases if they didn’t made this stupid marketing choice!

Posted by: Friggarn.9451

Friggarn.9451

I think they’re doing this just fine. We paid $60 ~3 years ago. We had the ability to play an MMO for no subscription for these years. We’re making out like bandits compared to a new player.

Goo.7926

Sure, that could be worst!

I often think about the players that bought the base game 3 years ago and play only 1 year and a half. They had to pay to play the season 2 living story content with gems even if they already had the base game! I really hope that they won’t do the same with HoT living story season 1! I don’t think it would be fair at all since we just paid the full expansion.

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

Why $50? Because that’s the price they want to charge. Buy it or don’t buy it – but ether way that’s the price point they’ve determined the xpac to be at. It’s their property/asset and they can charge as much or as little as they like. Not sure what’s so hard to understand about this.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Goo.7926

It’s too much for the actual content for sure! HoT is just scraps of nothing..

For example: Only 6 new legendaries for HoT release (and others during ‘’next releases’‘)!
-Cause it’s sooooo hard to create legendaries you know !
-Oh sure Mister-16-new-black-lion-weapons-a-month-Dev!

Frowny face

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Actually, if you check his posting history you’ll see that he posted in that that too, and at least one other thread about the price. This is retreading old ground.

Personally I think it’s a little pricey too but I’ll still get it.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

For example: Only 6 new legendaries for HoT release (and others during ‘’next releases’‘)!

Frowny face

Could you provide a link to the statement about 6 new Legendaries? I’ve only seen the one News Blog about it, and I’d be interested in reading the update. Thanks.

Posted by: Stark.1350

Stark.1350

We don’t know all that we’re exactly getting yet.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

New Legendary Weapons

I know you’re all dying for more information on new legendary weapons, but we’d like to delve into them more with a dedicated blog post in the future. For now, I’ll say that we’ve been working kitten new legendary weapons, the first handful of which will be introduced in Heart of Thorns

I think 6 is abit optemistic i guess 2-5.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/a-legendary-journey/

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

On the other hand, they aren’t just created skins for legendaries, they’re also creating precursor hunts for them and we have no idea how complex that process is.

Posted by: Cash.2385

Cash.2385

Because they said so.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Ahh…so there is no link available leading to anything officially stating 6 Legendaries at launch.

Just another rumor…gotcha. Thanks.

Vayne.8563

Look, WoW charges $50 for an expansion and a sub. The price of an expansion is not just the price of an expansion. It’s part of a business plan.

In WoW, you play $15 a month and $50 for an expansion . That last year where you got no content for your $15 a month goes to paying for the expansion. That means you’re paying $175 for your WoW expansion. $50, when no monthly fee is charged is quite reasonable.

Every MMO has ways of making it so you pay for content, because no one can deliver content free forever. MMOs that depend mostly/solely on cash shops tend to have pay to win elements or they lock professions/races behind a paywall. Sub games have subscriptions.

Buy to play games means you buy the game when expansions come out, and the price is part of the business plan.

Anyone who’s played this game for a year or more on $60 is probably being a bit unreasonable thinking that a continuation of the game for $50 is out of the ball park. It’s not a driving game, because when a driving game is made, and you pay that $50 for it, you get what’s in the box. Then those developers go make ANOTHER game. They don’t have 300 devs sitting around after a driving game is made, all getting paid. They’re fixing bugs, maybe, but not really expanding it, and every time they do expand it with DLC they’re likely to charge.

You can’t judge MMOs like other games, because you’re not just getting a box. What you’re actually paying for is access to the newer content…and all the newer content building on that content.

If you dont’ believe there’s enough new content, wait a year and buy it then.

I’ll be enjoying the content from day 1.

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

Look, WoW charges $50 for an expansion and a sub. The price of an expansion is not just the price of an expansion. It’s part of a business plan.

In WoW, you play $15 a month and $50 for an expansion . That last year where you got no content for your $15 a month goes to paying for the expansion. That means you’re paying $175 for your WoW expansion. $50, when no monthly fee is charged is quite reasonable.

Reasonable is entirely based on perspective, and how large the expansion is. We knew how large “That game’s” expansion was going to be before it released, and as promised, it was freaking huge! In addition to the graphical upgrades, the dungeons raids and thousands of new pieces of gear, there was a massive graphical update.

You’re also totally off base when you said no content when paying $15 a month to paying for the expansion. WoW, LOTRO, Secret World, Archeage, FFXIV, and pretty much every other MMO out there, whether its free to play, buy to play, or monthly, puts out regular content updates not part of an expansion. GW2 is not, and has never been unique when it comes to that.

I get it, you like GW2, and will defend it to your character’s graves. Go on ahead and keep doing that. You need to stop spreading around misinformation under the guise of it being pro GW2 and Anti-everything else. I get that too, this is the GW2 forum. Still doesn’t mean you get a free pass when it comes to lying.

Posted by: Orochimaru.4730

Orochimaru.4730

Anet need money simple as.

It wouldnt be such a big problem if they actually cared about the game. The problem is that they only care about PvE and esports. They neglected WvW which was the only thing GW2 had going for it.
And guess what after 3 years of doing pretty much nothing for WvW, they slowly lost players.

Just look at the gem store, everything is designed for PvE!
You cannot even use toys in WvW.
So if you are a WvW why would you buy these things? You wouldnt.

Anet have simply got everything since day 1. Everything they have done has caused more issues and caused more players to leave. They have done nothing to keep players, they have done everything to push players away in fact.

So what do you do when you have lost a tonne of your playerbase and therefore lost half your potential revenue; on top of the fact that from your current playerbase which is left, a third of it sees no reason to purchase items from the gem store?
You release an expansion and charge a crapload for it!
And that is what has happened, except the expansion doent even have enough content to be called an expansion, and the hype the rest of the community had has gone and even they are beginning to ask questions.

So to conclude, Anet have done things wrong since release, they continued to do things wrong, and they have still failed to realise this and continue to do things wrong; and their solution to fix this is to ignore this fact and still do things wrong.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Why not go the EA route like the Battlefield series…..? The premium pack. $50 for all current DLC and any future DLC.

That is what they’re probably doing. You’re not buying HoT by itself, you’re buying a season pass for the next ~2 years of DLC, aka the living story. They could have gone the DLC route and sold HoT and the seasons individually for $20 each, but that would have been a mess, plus people didn’t like the idea of having to pay for season 2. This is simply another step in their experimental living world model.

Linken.6345

Reasonable is entirely based on perspective, and how large the expansion is. We knew how large “That game’s” expansion was going to be before it released, and as promised, it was freaking huge! In addition to the graphical upgrades, the dungeons raids and thousands of new pieces of gear, there was a massive graphical update.

You’re also totally off base when you said no content when paying $15 a month to paying for the expansion. WoW, LOTRO, Secret World, Archeage, FFXIV, and pretty much every other MMO out there, whether its free to play, buy to play, or monthly, puts out regular content updates not part of an expansion. GW2 is not, and has never been unique when it comes to that.

I get it, you like GW2, and will defend it to your character’s graves. Go on ahead and keep doing that. You need to stop spreading around misinformation under the guise of it being pro GW2 and Anti-everything else. I get that too, this is the GW2 forum. Still doesn’t mean you get a free pass when it comes to lying.

How can you with a straight face say gw2 havent put out any content before this expansion?
True some of it was temporary they wanted a evolving world people complained.

Then they made it free for 2 weeks but access it forever and new players can get it no matter when they join for a fee.

Sure they make cash shop stuff but so do all the other games you mentioned.

Linken.6345

Why not go the EA route like the Battlefield series…..? The premium pack. $50 for all current DLC and any future DLC.

That is what they’re probably doing. You’re not buying HoT by itself, you’re buying a season pass for the next ~2 years of DLC, aka the living story. They could have gone the DLC route and sold HoT and the seasons individually for $20 each, but that would have been a mess, plus people didn’t like the idea of having to pay for season 2. This is simply another step in their experimental living world model.

Yes a dlc thats free if your actively playing.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Why? Because people are willing pay for it at that price. Yes, without even knowing what they’re getting. In case you don’t know, there’s a famous saying attributed to P.T. Barnum . . . which he actually didn’t say.

You might want to look into it.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Why? Because people are willing pay for it at that price. Yes, without even knowing what they’re getting. In case you don’t know, there’s a famous saying attributed to P.T. Barnum . . . which he actually didn’t say.

So everyone who disagrees with you and felt that it was worth the price is a sucker?

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

How can you with a straight face say gw2 havent put out any content before this expansion?
True some of it was temporary they wanted a evolving world people complained.

Then they made it free for 2 weeks but access it forever and new players can get it no matter when they join for a fee.

Sure they make cash shop stuff but so do all the other games you mentioned.

I suggest you read the post again. All I said what that GW2 is not, and has never been unique when it comes to releasing regular content updates not part of an expansion. Other MMOs do it too and have done it for years. Nowhere in there do I say that GW2 doesn’t.

Posted by: Crovax.7854

Crovax.7854

So everyone who disagrees with you and felt that it was worth the price is a sucker?

Considering they bought something without knowing what it’s going to be exactly or what it includes -and more importantly- without a fricking release date?
‘Sucker’ migth be a bit harsh but I’d definitely say those people are irresponsible as consumers and just encouraging ANet to put out a subpar product by giving them their money upfront.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m definitely going to buy HoT, but only when we know what features/content it includes and when we have a release date.

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

Yes I can afford spending $50. No HoT is not worth $50, because I know a little something about value.

Says the guy who’s been playing the same $50 game for ~2 years.

Ayrilana.1396

Considering they bought something without knowing what it’s going to be exactly or what it includes -and more importantly- without a fricking release date?
‘Sucker’ migth be a bit harsh but I’d definitely say those people are irresponsible as consumers and just encouraging ANet to put out a subpar product by giving them their money upfront.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m definitely going to buy HoT, but only when we know what features/content it includes and when we have a release date.

Whether there’s a release date or not doesn’t matter. There’s is an extremely high chance it will be released and in the off chance that it doesn’t, you can get a refund. People do not need every single detail to determine that they should buy the expansion or not. Many people have bought games based on less info.

Crovax.7854

Whether there’s a release date or not doesn’t matter. There’s is an extremely high chance it will be released and in the off chance that it doesn’t, you can get a refund. People do not need every single detail to determine that they should buy the expansion or not. Many people have bought games based on less info.

You don’t understand what I’m trying to get at.
1. Not buying a product without a release date has nothing to do with a fear of it not releasing but refusing to give money for something seemingly so unfinished that it’s unclear when it will release out of principle.
2. This is pre purchase , not preorder. You are actually buying sight unseen. Sorry, but I was raised to think before I act. That includes being informed before I buy something. Maybe this prepurchase thing is just something ‘american’ and that’s why I don’t get it.
3. HoT is digital only so there will be no shortage of copies at release.

If you know it interests you, I could understand if you made a mental note to check it out when it’s released to confirm your first impression but buying at this stage is irresponsible and some would probably even say downright stupid.
Again, caveat emptor. ANet is not your friend. If they see people will buy unfinished products, they will be incentivesed to release products in an unfinished state and move on to the next project. That alone is reason enough for me to wait; I care about quality.

Ayrilana.1396

1. Not buying a product without a release date has nothing to do with a fear of it not releasing but refusing to give money for something seemingly so unfinished that it’s unclear when it will release out of principle.
2. This is pre purchase , not preorder. You are actually buying sight unseen. Sorry, but I was raised to think before I act. That includes being informed before I buy something. Maybe this prepurchase thing is just something ‘american’ and that’s why I don’t get it.

If you know it interests you, I could understand if you made a mental note to check it out when it’s released to confirm your first impression but buying at this stage is irresponsible and some would probably even say downright stupid.
Again, caveat emptor. ANet is not your friend. If they see people will buy unfinished products, they will be incentivesed to release products in an unfinished state and move on to the next project.

This is all your opinion which you’re trying to force onto others that don’t agree with you. It’s fine if you don’t feel that it’s not worth it but don’t call people irresponsible because they disagree with you and feel that it is.

Crovax.7854

Again, caveat emptor. ANet is not your friend. If they see people will buy unfinished products, they will be incentivesed to release products in an unfinished state and move on to the next project.

This is all your opinion which you’re trying to force onto others that don’t agree with you. It’s fine if you don’t feel that it’s not worth it but don’t call people irresponsible because they disagree with you and fell that it is.

I’m not trying to force anything on anyone and nowhere have I said that this is more than just my opinion. You are not wrong to prepurchase, it’s just that in my opinion behaviour like this lead to a bad games, especially in 2014. Stuff like watchdogs, AC unity or many many bad pc ports like dead rising 3 or arkham origins and knigth just make it clear that buying games sight unseen based only on hype is a very bad idea. Plus, I think it’s sleazy to open for prepurchse when you don’t even have a release date.

Posted by: FlirtBreakBoe.7045

FlirtBreakBoe.7045

You are just justifying the 40$ price with throwing in gw2. without Gw2 as an addon in the expansion you wouldnt price it that high.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

• GW2 is buy-to-play; every other buy-to-play MMO that has released additional content charges for it. Sp, OK, that’s TSW right now. As far as I can tell, ESO has announced a new area but I’ve seen nothing about whether it will be free or bear a cost. Bear in mind also that GW2 released new areas and content for free also. The bottom line is, asking people to buy additional access at some point does not seem unreasonable.
  • I have no problem with ANet setting whatever price they want for their product
  • I expect to evaluate HoT’s worth based on its worth to me. I’m currently on the bubble and have not pre-bought. My concern right now is whether the content justifies the price, as I think there are enough new features revealed to justify that side of the issue.
  • A simple, “I don’t think HoT is worth $50 because there’s not enough of X for me.” is sufficient to get across one’s point — well, along with following through and not buying unless you change your opinion. Using terms like “absurd” or (not that the OP did, but some have) calling the company names or trying to tarnish their reputation only calls attention to one’s own failure to make a cogent point without resorting to such tactics to shame the company into backing down.
  • At one point, ANet wasn’t planning to release an expansion. Many posters complained about the failure of the Living Story and demanded an expansion. For many months before the HoT announcement, it was possible to find one or more “GW2 needs expansion” threads on the front page of the GD Forum.

#consumerrights #consumerresponsibility

Posted by: dancingmonkey.4902

dancingmonkey.4902

This is all your opinion which you’re trying to force onto others that don’t agree with you. It’s fine if you don’t feel that it’s not worth it but don’t call people irresponsible because they disagree with you and fell that it is.

I’m not trying to force anything on anyone and nowhere have I said that this is more than just my opinion. You are not wrong to prepurchase, it’s just that in my opinion behaviour like this lead to a bad games, especially in 2014. Stuff like watchdogs, AC unity or many many bad pc ports like dead rising 3 or arkham origins and knigth just make it clear that buying games sight unseen based only on hype is a very bad idea. Plus, I think it’s sleazy to open for prepurchse when you don’t even have a release date.

Sight unseen? We are getting well explained POIs that show alot, not to mention, we are not buying a game. We would be buying an expansion, to an already existing game, that we presumably enjoy greatly. It is a dishonest comparison to compare an expansion to an entirely unreleased game.

Crovax.7854

Sight unseen? We are getting well explained POIs that show alot, not to mention, we are not buying a game. We would be buying an expansion, to an already existing game, that we presumably enjoy greatly. It is a dishonest comparison to compare an expansion to an entirely unreleased game.

Considering the price I hope what they showed in their PoIs was not ‘a lot’ in comparison the the overall content we get. I can see your reasoning but ultimately it boils down to: You are buying an unfinished product that is digital only, therefore has no chance of being sold out or hard to find at release. That just sounds like a very questionable decision to me personally. Expansion or full game doesn’t matter in that regard.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

no, you don´t understand value at all. Products don´t have inherent value, they are worth whatever anyone will buy them for.

will it seperate the playerbase? Yes, of cause. Into customers who are of interest to Anet and those who are not. This is not about morality, believing contractual partners owe each other any loyalty beyond the contractual agreement is silly sentimentalism.

If you think the expansion is worth whatever they ask for, then buy it. If not, do not. If you decide the product is not worth it, then don´t complain about missing out on its benefits.

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

for the record it is not digital only. You can buy hard copies of HoT. Sadly only the basic game, but it is not digital only.

This doesn’t negate your point of it not selling out. However what game sells out? Collector’s editions do because they are limited on purpose but the basic game almost never sells out. (I say almost ever but I am sure there is going to be some that do)

Also, why would you want a game to be a rare find or to sell out and you would not be able to buy it, or why would you not want everyone to be playing it? Not getting enough of your product to the consumer sounds like a bad idea. Unless your goal is to create false rarity. More or less like Amiibos

Inculpatus cedo.9234

There must be more than a million ‘suckers’ who bought Guild Wars 2, as there were at least a million in the first 24 hours of Pre-purchase (with no release date in sight) about 3 years ago.

So many ‘suckers’, in fact, that sales were suspended for some time.

Wow!

I wonder if a lot of us should feel irresponsible; unfortunately, I do not. I guess I didn’t learn my lesson. =(

Maybe, next time.

Vayne.8563

Every single person I know who plays WoW was disappointed with that $50 expansion. And I know a whole lot of people who play WoW. WoW lost over 3 million subs in record time. It’s very nice for you to defend a game that players are walking away from in droves, but those people didn’t get an update for a year before the expansion launched and many of them didn’t like the expansion. You can say anything you want about me defending this game. Have you even LOOKED at what WoW players have been saying about WoW.

And there really isn’t much content between expansions either. There’s some. But not as much as some people like to portray. A lot of it is reskinned and reused resources that people blast through in no time. Are you suggesting that the WoW playerbase is largely supportive of the new $50 expansion (whatever content you say is in it). Because from my point of view, WoW took a big hit over it…and yes, they’re still charging $15 each and every month. It’s part of the business plan.

Unless you have something constructive to say, I’d stop pointing out I’m defending Anet. Most people knew what a b2p game was signing on. That’s how it works. They provide some content over time and then charge for the next block of content. And they don’t charge a sub fee in between. If you have something of value to say, one would think you could say it without trying to pigeonhole me. There are plenty of things I don’t defend Anet over. I pick my battles. You ignore that because you want to believe I’m a blind fan boy. You have no clue about me.

There are negative threads I’ve never posted in, and some negative threads I have posted in. But you ignore those to try to prove some point. So tell me, you think that $0 expansion and the $15 a month is being well received by WoW players?

Posted by: dancingmonkey.4902

dancingmonkey.4902

Considering the price I hope what they showed in their PoIs was not ‘a lot’ in comparison the the overall content we get. I can see your reasoning but ultimately it boils down to: You are buying an unfinished product that is digital only, therefore has no chance of being sold out or hard to find at release. That just sounds like a very questionable decision to me personally. Expansion or full game doesn’t matter in that regard.

Which makes me wonder, what are you posting for? It appears to me your goal is simply to question and judge others for thier entertainment purchases.

Where you appear to be confussed, is that you seem to think your opinions matters. I don’t really care what you think of my, or anyone elses decision to prepurchase or not to prepurchase.

I am fairly certain, in my case, that it is my money, and my choice. And if you don’t like my choice, well, that’s just a little sad that you actually think anyone cares if you want to berate me, or anyone else, about what I do with it.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

It’s $50 because they thought $60 might be a bit too pricy. Pray they do not reconsider.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Frowny face

What content does the expansion contain, specifically?

As for the Legendaries:

• Legendaries aren’t simply skins and stat changes anymore. From the looks of things they’re trying to put more into the lore and context of them. That requires more than just designing the skin.
  • I’d say it’s pretty unlikely that Legendaries are going to be the only new skins in the game – both in terms of armour and weapons. I’d also wager that many of these new skins would be more easily accessible than the Legendary weapons – the new legendary precursor skins, for one – in which case it makes more sense to design and create them skins before the Legendary ones.

This is only really an issue if they don’t roll them out within a reasonable time-frame after launch, since not only do players need to fully complete the mastery reward track to unlock the new precursor crafting, but players also have to get said precursors.

You’ll also have some idea at what the Legendary will look like as well since the precursor skin will be a toned down version of the Legendary.

Sounds like Anet is giving in to power creep. Players who buy HoT will be given an extra weapon set for each profession and 1 extra specialization to choose from…. That seems like a barrier there for players who do not get HoT.

In which case, Anet has ALWAYS given into power creep.

After all, in GW, without buying every campaign and EoTN you couldn’t access the new professions or every skill for a profession.

Yes I can afford spending $50. No HoT is not worth $50, because I know a little something about value.

Value is in the eye of the beholder.

Personally, if I just get 150 hours of entertainment out of HoT (which isn’t a push since I’ve gotten around 700 hours so far in the core game and still haven’t experienced everything) I’d have spent a grand total of 25p an hour which, in terms of entertainment, I consider pretty good value.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: adormtil.1605

adormtil.1605

I always considered the value of a game the value per hour of my first job when I was in college. So I won 200$ a month working 48 hours a week. So I will have to spend a total of 96 hours in this game to get my moneys worth. Which is not gonna happen because I do not grind for things I do not need legendaries. I play only for the story and maybe try the dungeon once. That will take me at most 10 hours.

Posted by: Friggarn.9451

Friggarn.9451

LS2 is optional content – boo hoo, ANET announced that if you didn’t log in during LS2 you’ll have to buy with gems. I feel no sympathy at this point.

Can you go back and play most temporary content in any other B2P games?

The expansion is $50, end of story. The base game is now worth $0.

Posted by: Orochimaru.4730

Orochimaru.4730

It’s like talking to a brick wall. If I wanted to I could buy the ultimate edition right now and I’d still have money in the bank, it wont bankrupt me, which is what some people think we are upset. They can make it £200 or £300 and I can still buy it.

You buy a game for current content or the content available at release. Not potential future content.
So far the content in HoT is not worth the £35 anet is demanding. That is the argument, it is not worth it!

You wouldnt pay 20 grand for a patched up mini just because other car companies are selling similar vehicles at that price. You know what you are getting and so you know it isnt worth even 1 grand.
HoT is simply not worth £35.

Posted by: DancinPuppeh.8421

DancinPuppeh.8421

I’m sorry but I have to start this discussion because I need to find out if I’m alone in my thoughts here, and I’m tired of the illogical arguements generated in game regarding this matter.

First of all, before you call me cheap, poor etc. I can easially afford the $50 cost of the expansion, I could afford 100 copies if I really wanted to. But afford and willing to pay are different. I find it absurd to charge the full price of a AAA game for how little content is being added. A few new maps, WvW maps, specilization, new class and mastery system. All of those content additions are wonderful, but is it really worth the full price of a game for content that will last less than 24 hours?

Unless there is far more content being hidden away from us as a surprise I refuse to continue supporting this game, when you consider you can pay for various popular MMO’s such as WoW for $15 and in the MONTHLY update already adds more content than this expansion is adding. Granted WoW is a pay to play but you’re still getting 5x more content for your buck.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

While we are not up to date of the 100% we’re getting with this expac, its a good deal for new players as they get all previous content in one pack, and us exisiting players will get much more as time goes on and they release more content (that is tied to HoT). All in all its a good deal, and the price range is market price.

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

Posted by: Brother Dulfite.5793

Brother Dulfite.5793

I played wow off and on for 3 years and, unless something changed since Lich king, it never added random content the size of an expansion or the living story. Gw2 had updated a huge amount more than wow did for me back then, in fact the only times wow updated that I remember was right before or during expansion time. And they charge monthly, something anet does yet they add content for free.

Also, your not just paying for the expansion, but also the free content and living story that comes after it until the next expansion.

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

Am I the only one who feels this way?

If you would kindly direct yourself to the thread with about 6000 responses and tens of thousands of views on this exact topic, you would see that you are not alone. This thread will certainly get merged when the mods see it.

Regardless, your sentiment that the value of revealed things does not match the price point is a valid concern, and you shouldn’t feel forced to buy the expansion. You already own the core game though, and if you still enjoy that, then there’s no stopping you from just continuing to play that. Regardless of what people say, there really is a lot to do in the game.

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

Also, your not just paying for the expansion, but also the free content and living story that comes after it until the next expansion.

“Free content” is interesting. I’m surprised they even call it this, but it’s all about perspective.

If the post-release content is indeed considered “free”, then that means you get awesome value for the initial purchase, far beyond what should ever be expected out of a game.

If the post-release content is rolled into the cost of the initial game, then that means you get increasing value out of the core game over time, which eventually leads to the same point as above.

Like with WoW, the dungeons and raids were essentially there, they just didn’t open them up. But they really only had new dungeons and raids after the expansion hit, so if that wasn’t your cup of tea, tough. With GW2, it’s always been about joining the game and then experiencing the story over time. There will be increases in content to GW2:HoT as time goes one. Heck, look at the landmass west of Rata Sum and Metrica Province; all of that could potentially be where the expansion goes, and we get story with it.

We will have a much better idea of what to expect after this expansion is 100% complete, which is far later than just after it launches.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

We don’t have enough info on the expansion yet. For now, the amount of content isn’t worth the 50$ and announcing that price now is a mistake on Anet part. But we still need info on Fractal and Challenging group content. This could be a game changer or not, we’ll have to see.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD