Revenant Feedbacks [merged]

in Revenant

Posted by: AlexanderFalkor.4765

AlexanderFalkor.4765

Cause Shiro is offensive type? His elite was datamined to be an aoe medium basilisk venom skill – in other words, 2 second stun. Where they would place stunbreaks?

Maybe in one of the utility skills? The whole profession is in flux, I’m sure they won’t release it without stun breaks.

They need to add extra 2 skills per legend and bring them up on par with rest. Old classes got 20 utility skills while rev has olny 13. Thats a serious problem which needs to be addressed. I cant see where they could place stunbreak on shiro – mobility skill? That will break his mobility as cost for stunbreak must be high to keep it in balance. Now going by gw1 skills – burst skills aka double damage and condi transfer? Life stealing? I dont think so.

you must remember this is a beta event and the profession is in no way done so yeah

in Revenant

Posted by: g e o.2589

g e o.2589

Actually Revs do have a stun break – sort of – minor for Invocation line is stun break on inovking a legend. Obviously this is not as good as skill stunbreak but there’s still more legends to come.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Empty_Vessel and the Rite of the Great Dwarf.

Also Revenant has ranged Taunt and displacement skill.

in Revenant

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

This is what makes me wonder.

• Each legend has a weapon that the legend specializes in.
  • Players can equip two legends and switch between them.
  • No weapon swap.

Not making my mind up yet, but those three facts make it seem like something is akilter.

in Revenant

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

• No weapon swap.

Not making my mind up yet, but those three facts make it seem like something is akilter.

I have the exact same worries, every legend seems to have both a trait line and weapon set that was designed in tandem with it. If they can make all of those viable configurations in some respect then the Revenant will be easy to get into but hard to master, hopefully. Of course one handed weapons can be mixed… but what I worry the most, is there really a way to run say Staff with Mallyx or Hammer with Ventari at all and have it work in any capacity, I just can’t see it.

Running Staff seems to be pretty keyed into Ventari, and likely Jalis as secondary, especially. It seems basically set in stone, pun intended.

(edited by Crise.9401)

in Revenant

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

• No weapon swap.

I’m kinda surprised that they don’t have a weapon slot for each legend, so you would swap weapons when you swap legends. So you could use staff with one legend and hammer with another, for example. It would give you a bit of flexibility in weapon choice and I think it’d feed into the legend mechanic nicely.

in Revenant

Posted by: emendez.3705

emendez.3705

So just wondering what level is rev going to be when i make and would it come geared or do i have to do that? and if i do gear it would it get deleted later?

in Revenant

Posted by: hoewhoew.4619

hoewhoew.4619

The revenant will be lvl 80 and will have several gear boxes in its inventory (exotic) so that you can choose the stats you want and test several builds.

Guardians of the Silver Dragons – Piken Square

in Revenant

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

Dude, we are still in beta and only got about half of the skills. It’s way too early for judgement.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

in Revenant

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

They need to add extra 2 skills per legend and bring them up on par with rest. Old classes got 20 utility skills while rev has olny 13. Thats a serious problem which needs to be addressed. I cant see where they could place stunbreak on shiro – mobility skill? That will break his mobility as cost for stunbreak must be high to keep it in balance. Now going by gw1 skills – burst skills aka double damage and condi transfer? Life stealing? I dont think so.

I see your point and I agree that they need to make sure that the profession launches with the same number of skills as other professions. They need to offer more flexibility in skill choice to offer more utility and more interesting gameplay. We don’t want revenants to be restricted to using the exact same skills as every other revenant running the same legends.

I’m sure they’re aware of that need though, hopefully we’ll see something to address it in this upcoming beta.

in Revenant

Posted by: Krazher.7816

Krazher.7816

The reason it fells like a Necromancer to you is propably because the devs haven’t revealed the direct damage line.

in Revenant

Posted by: Seth Moonshadow.2710

Seth Moonshadow.2710

It seems like each legend is inspired in a different profession, sharing similar themes but with different playstyles. So Jalis is guardian-esque and Mallyx feels similar to a necro.

Agreed. Lore or no, it feels knowing the legends (as in the F1-F4 options) is knowing how to & when to use each for given combat situations. Tankish time calls for Jalis, you want condi-ish on you foes call on Mallyx, want to support or heal a small group of allies then it’s Ventari. That’s not needing to know lore, it’s needing to know what and how the different historical legends work as a weapon enhancement (so to speak).

| Dungeon Adventures | Blackgate | PvE | Lost Precipice | Gilded Hallow | Windswept Haven (soon)
http://www.dungeon-adventures.com

in Revenant

Posted by: TheFantasticGman.9451

TheFantasticGman.9451

Dude, we are still in beta and only got about half of the skills. It’s way too early for judgement.

Actually, they’re (Anet) asking for judgement (assess the Rev in it’s current form and provide feedback) as it is now according to the press release.

Speaking from a PVE-only point of view…

in Revenant

Posted by: Kitsune.1902

Kitsune.1902

“Dude”, I don’t think you fully understand the revenant mechanics. Revenant doesn’t have utility skills, healing skills or elite skills the same way other classes do. Revenant has legends, that’s it. Each legend comes with hard coded set of 5 skills (one healing, 3 utility, 1 elite), which you cannot swap (except by swapping the legend itself).

‘About half of the skills’ is all you’ll get. There was an interview earlier (I linked it in some of my earlier posts on another revenant topic), where anet noted that they planned the revenant this way to have better chance to create synergy between skills – that this is how it works now, but they understand there’s also merit to being more in control of your skill selections, and that they’ll monitor player feedback on the class, and decide then if there’s reason to adjust the way the class works.

I’m sure they’re aware of that need though, hopefully we’ll see something to address it in this upcoming beta.

They are not ‘aware of that need’ as such, because this is how they purposefully designed the class. They’re aware that some people would likely want more flexibility, so there’s that.. but apparently they’ll wait for feedback from actual play test (such as this upcoming weekend), to decide whether something needs to change.

Of course one problem is that the people who are the most against the revenant’s current iteration, are the people less likely to prepurchase the expansion (myself included), and thus aren’t part of the test to give feedback. So, eh.

(edited by Kitsune.1902)

in Revenant

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

Only Mallyx and the Mace/Axe have that Necromancer-y feel to them. Other legends and weapons don’t.

in Revenant

Posted by: Kitsune.1902

Kitsune.1902

It might be a class more directed to new players. One weapon set, lack of complicated skill selection, specializations are fairly closely tied to legends and legends have ‘easy to understand’ playstyles behind them.

For example, you want condi damage and support, you pick mallyx and ventari. You pick the specializations tied to those legends, and invocation (I think) as your third specialization. You pick weapon based on whichever legend you plan to use more (staff if ventari, mace/axe if mallyx). And you’re pretty much set to go. For weapons and gear, just pick celestial for everything.

No complicated choices. Very streamlined.

Boring too, from my perspective, but then I’ve been around since launch. Of course if this is the case, then it’s a bit silly – since for new players every class is new, it’s the ‘veteran’ players that are more in need of a fresh class.. and for that I’d rather see it more complex than existing classes, instead of simplistic, ‘streamlined experience’.

That may be a selfish way of thinking though, since it can be argued that new players could also benefit from a class that’s easy to start with.

(edited by Kitsune.1902)

in Revenant

Posted by: BadSanta.6527

BadSanta.6527

actully ihope he ill be suck iprefer the profesoin we alredy have im actully fear arenat will make him op

in Revenant

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

Personally I was hoping for more of Ritualist bend. But since information on the class is so disjointed about how they actually look and operate in group play, and I’m going blank slate for this class. I take the trouble of pinning its mechanics down as a sign that they are rather unique within the game, and they don’t readily overlap other classes. Kind of the way the engineer did for the longest time, until they improved the trait synergy for it.

in Revenant

Diovid.9506

Personally I was hoping for more of Ritualist bend. But since information on the class is so disjointed about how they actually look and operate in group play, and I’m going blank slate for this class. I take the trouble of pinning its mechanics down as a sign that they are rather unique within the game, and they don’t readily overlap other classes. Kind of the way the engineer did for the longest time, until they improved the trait synergy for it.

To be fair, to me the ritualist always seemed like a weird mix of monk (the Restoration attribute), elementalist (the Channeling attribute) and necromancer (the general look and feel of the profession) so the Ritualist itself also seemed disjoined, at least to me. But then, I am one of those people who thinks that all professions added after prophecies could’ve been added by expanding the already existing professions instead (i.e. adding the Paragon by giving Warriors a spearmastery attribute and adding some more Paragon-y skills to Strength and Tactics instead of adding the Paragon as an entirely new profession).

in Revenant

Posted by: skowcia.8257

skowcia.8257

actully ihope he ill be suck iprefer the profesoin we alredy have im actully fear arenat will make him op

Maybe before hoping for rev to suck learn how to spell..

obey me

in Revenant

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

They won’t let it suck.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

in Revenant

skowcia.8257

They won’t let it suck.

They just did. A class without stunbreaks wont survive in pvp long. Even necromancers are in better state when it comes to stunbreaks+damage mitigation via shroud, rev doesnt have even that.

obey me

in Revenant

Posted by: Khenzo.2465

Khenzo.2465

You’d expect them to see all of the classes major design flaws from the concept stages.

But I guess not.

Becaue Anet.

in Revenant

Khenzo.2465

And anyone else think the whole click to move the Ventari tablet is going to be more annoying and gimick feeling than the whole ‘skillful’ design they tried to go with?

That alone kinda breaks my interest in the legend.

in Revenant

Posted by: Harnel.6810

Harnel.6810

If we’re to go off datamined skills, legends, and weapons, We still have sword (both main hand and off hand) to see, shield, and two legends to go, one of which is Shiro and the other is Glint. I don’t know about you, but Shiro screwing people up and being unable to be screwed up sounds pretty reasonable to me, and I feel the same way about Glint. So cool your jets on this until we have information on every skill that Revenants can get access to.

in Revenant

Khenzo.2465

If we’re to go off datamined skills, legends, and weapons, We still have sword (both main hand and off hand) to see, shield, and two legends to go, one of which is Shiro and the other is Glint. I don’t know about you, but Shiro screwing people up and being unable to be screwed up sounds pretty reasonable to me, and I feel the same way about Glint. So cool your jets on this until we have information on every skill that Revenants can get access to.

I don’t get what you mean about Shiro and Glint?

Do you have some secret behind the scenes or do you mean Shiro and Glint are beasts in lore so they will be in game too!

I feel you meant the second.

And that is such a silly arguement.

in Revenant

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

We’ll have to see how it looks at release, but until now my concerns are the following: only two active legends to switch and only one single weapon set. I can’t switch my utilities, elites and heals individually. That’s a rather big problem and the diversity is certainly lacking. I hope they will add a few tweaks to this.

BTW: will the revenant have underwater skills? Well, I am rather sure they have to do this. Otherwise how can he fight underwater?

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

in Revenant

skowcia.8257

Um yeah…so bc in lore Glint and Shiro was kitten (mind you Mallyx is a kitten as well) they will make it op? Ju wot m8? And even it does that justice Jalis being crap, Ventari being crap? Mallyx at some point defend himself due to displacement, condi copy and boonstrip but he need a second legend to clean condi and there is no stunbreak still.

Lets also not forget that Glint utilities are signets. So gut right? Rev has too many flaws, everyone see it, and sword/sword or shield with shiro and glint wont fix that.

Attachments:

obey me

in Revenant

Posted by: Inimicus.7162

Inimicus.7162

Why do things feel like they do?

Mallyx, the “Necro” guy: It was a great grape ape at the end of the creme de la creme elite mission of GW1, The DoA, or Dead on Ari…err, Domain of Anguish. My guess is that they are using the conditions system and Mallyx’s skill set to try and mimic as many of the DoA’s environment effects as possible, and likely a few of the abilities of some of the bosses to include Mallyx. (I never spent much time in DoA myself)

Jialis Ironhammer: King of the Deldrimor (good) Dwarves. The Deldrimor faction almost always came across as either Warriors, Monks or Rangers, and that specific combination of warrior’s later supportive version the Paragon and monk (dedicated healer of GW1) is the combination of skills and themes that makes today’s Guardian class.

Ventari: Well, what I’ve seen of him, he is a call back almost specifically to Monks of GW1, being very highly slanted towards healing and a bit of crowd control. A kind of Prot/Smite (pre-cast midigation and ofc damage/CCs) Monk mix maybe?

Then Shiro and Glint via datamining but whether either or both are true or not remains to be seen… none the less:

Shiro the Betrayer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HED8z-LurqM
Assassin (GW2 Thief) big bad guy of GW1:Factions. His skills were unique to him specifically, but they still followed Assassin themes, shadow stepping (teleports), healing via damage, and rapid attacks. If he is indeed a Revenant legend, I expect to see some of this.

Glint:
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Glint
Champion of the Elder Dragon Kralkatorik, freed from her master by the Forgotten in Arah, saved several races from extinction during the last Dragon Awakening, died trying to slay her former master. This creature is a thing of extreme high magic. Though the majority of it was highly defensive in nature, indeed her only actual “attack” iirc was a basic ranged auto attack. The rest focused heavily on what GW2 would generically call “retaliation” or possibly “reflection” though that mechanic didn’t exist at all. She also had a very powerful healing skill called Crystal Hibernation. So if she was made a legend, her skills would be highly focused on all forms of damage reflection, retaliation and likely the “protection” boon. A “bunker” build as such.

Those last 2 are pure speculation ofc, we don’t even know if these things are even what’s actually being developed, these are just educated guesses based on the game history of the legends for which they are named.

in Revenant

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

It might be a class more directed to new players. One weapon set, lack of complicated skill selection, specializations are fairly closely tied to legends and legends have ‘easy to understand’ playstyles behind them.

For example, you want condi damage and support, you pick mallyx and ventari. You pick the specializations tied to those legends, and invocation (I think) as your third specialization. You pick weapon based on whichever legend you plan to use more (staff if ventari, mace/axe if mallyx). And you’re pretty much set to go. For weapons and gear, just pick celestial for everything.

Boring too, from my perspective, but then I’ve been around since launch. Of course if this is the case, then it’s a bit silly – since for new players every class is new, it’s the ‘veteran’ players that are more in need of a fresh class.. and for that I’d rather see it more complex than existing classes, instead of simplistic, ‘streamlined experience’.

That may be a selfish way of thinking though, since it can be argued that new players could also benefit from a class that’s easy to start with.

I wouldn’t say it’s aimed at new players. Resource management is pretty big barrier of entry.

And I simply don’t believd that Revenant won’t get some choice in utilities for each legend. There will be, I tell you.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Revenant

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

I wouldn’t say it’s aimed at new players. Resource management is pretty big barrier of entry.

And I simply don’t believd that Revenant won’t get some choice in utilities for each legend. There will be, I tell you.

your words in a-nets ears man…

in Revenant

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

with all stats on gear now too it will be a pain to run 2 legends that don’t compliment each other and that limits options just like the specialization system itself in a nutshell.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

in Revenant

Posted by: Genesis.8572

Genesis.8572

Right now I’m not seeing much evidence for that. The real lack of meaningful options for the Revenant will likely kill this profession for many vets.

Will Hawkins (Human Guardian)
Feryl Grimsteel (Charr Engineer)
Tarnished Coast

in Revenant

Diovid.9506

The real lack of meaningful options for the Revenant will likely kill this profession for many vets.

I don’t believe that. If the Revenant literally had 0 different choices but it would be stronger than other professions, it would be used. It wouldn’t be particularly fun, but it would be used. Thus it is not just about the options, but also about it’s power. Of course I’m not saying that anything we’ve seen implies that it will be powerful.

in Revenant

Genesis.8572

My fears for the Revenant profession:

• Invocation is Mandatory: If you want your character to have a stunbreak, you must go with Invocation for Empty Vessel. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it. But you have no means of having two stun breaks at the same time. There may be a reason why ANet sees little problem with that since the Rev can only have two legends out, which means that only two other specializations can be used to develop your legends of choice. But this is indicative of a problem…
  • Lack of Build Diversity: The Revenant has virtually minimal build customization options. The Rev lacks weapon swapping can only pick two legends, and these legends determine your healing, utility, and elite skills. Lack of utility options may kill this profession for me. Sure, the Rev has six utilities, but they are predefined for you. You’re choosing which two sets of three you want. But that may force you into having useless utilities you never use on your bar but you have anyway for a particular utility.
  • Lack of Weapon Swapping: Having one weapon is not in itself a problem. Elementalists have one weapon set, but that one weapon set provides them with 20 skills for skills 1-5, and they have their own choice for skills 6-10, which amounts to 25 skills at a time. The engineer has only one weapon too for skills 1-5, but they also have F1-F5 and access to kits, which can provide an additional 5 skills. An engineer can have access to as few as 15 skills (kitless) or as many as 35 skills (kit max) on a character. The Revenant, which lacks weapon swapping, is tied to 15 skills. Most classes get around 15 skills courtesy of weapon swapping. The difference is that weapon swapping provides an advantage in terms of range vs. melee or the dictates of the situation: i.e. skirmish/bunker/etc. The Rev is stuck in either melee or range. There’s no getting out of it. An engineer’s weapons provide semi-melee range, and their kits can also provide range. An elementalist has lots of flexible options for dealing with range or melee with their weapon sets.

When you lay that it out, it’s clear that the Rev only has FOUR major choices apart from their specialization lines: 1) weapon, 2) legend #1, 3) legend #2, and 4) gear. Everything else has already been decided for you. But their choices become even more limited because…

• Weapons too closely tied with particular legend styles: If the legend skills are inflexibile in terms of skills 6-10, then the weapons should probably be more flexible and independently defined from particular legends. As it stands the choices the Rev are faced with amount to which weapon set synergizes well between their two legends of choice. That may seem like a meaningful choice, but in such cases there is often a better choice with the rest being clearly subpar.
Tarnished Coast

in Revenant

Posted by: metal chill.8490

metal chill.8490

wait until shiro is revealed, fanboys will be screaming in joy (including myself) and it will likely be the high dps power line were all waiting for.

in Revenant

Genesis.8572

The real lack of meaningful options for the Revenant will likely kill this profession for many vets.

I don’t believe that. If the Revenant literally had 0 different choices but it would be stronger than other professions, it would be used. It wouldn’t be particularly fun, but it would be used. Thus it is not just about the options, but also about it’s power. Of course I’m not saying that anything we’ve seen implies that it will be powerful.

While I recognize that celestial gear (and waiting for Shiro Power!) has limited our full sense for the Revenant’s strength, I’m not sure if I entirely agree. Sure, we want strong professions, but we also want meaningful choices and viable options that provide flexibility and replay-ability with our professions. When you read the profession sub-forums, one of the biggest complaints, which likely led to the specialization and traitline overhaul, was not just whether a profession was strong but also how much viable customization was available. And if the Revenant was stronger than the other professions, we know that it would be nerfed into the ground leaving it weak, boring, and dull.

Tarnished Coast

in Revenant

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Well, I don’t know about you, but I have 1 of every class at level 80 and after Revenant get released I’ll keep that statement truth.

EDIT: and I’ll have to update my signature to “(and the other 8 classes at lvl 80 too)” :P

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

in Revenant

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

To be fair, to me the ritualist always seemed like a weird mix of monk (the Restoration attribute), elementalist (the Channeling attribute) and necromancer (the general look and feel of the profession) so the Ritualist itself also seemed disjoined, at least to me.

That was in GW1 when classes were much more specialized. Ritualist seemed out of place there, because it was more like GW2 classes than GW1 ones. It had a good mix of damage, cc, healing and buff support, as well as characteristic class elements (spirits, ashes and weapon buff skills). Which makes its absence in GW2 even more disappointing.

Maybe, if devs will listen to us and tweak the current class design. If they’ll stay the course, however, It will not only have no additional legend utilities to choose from, but will not have racial skills as well.

So far i see not much choices there – you will decide on 2 legends, and that choice will pretty much define which weapon you will use, and what traits you will pick. Also, some of the legends don’t really play well together. There was no synergy between Jalis and Malyx, for example.

To add to the “no synergy”, each legend seems to require different stat sets. I doubt Ventari specific build will be good for Shiro, for example (though it might be okay for Jalis). Shiro and Mallyx will most likely also be mostly exclusive choices.

In the end, i guess we’ll end up with Shiro+Jalis, with alternative condi set of Mallyx + something. With Glint perhaps mixed in somewhere. With no real weapon choices, no weapon swapping and static utilities we’re going to end up with the most uniform class meta so far. Meta chosen not because it will be the best of all possible choices (as it is usually the case), but because it will be the only that would make sense.

Somehow i don’t find that appealing at all.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in Revenant

Posted by: manarchon.2089

manarchon.2089

wait until shiro is revealed, fanboys will be screaming in joy (including myself) and it will likely be the high dps power line were all waiting for.

Yeah would be so cool to have Shiro legend with at least some of the skills he uses in the final mission of Factions .

Shiro was a truly THE kitten, “in your face”; “I’m gonna murder you, your family and pets then laugh at your graves while I kitten on them” – kinda dude of GW – lore.

They could add some of the other cool characters as legends later on such as Varesh Ossa etc.

in Revenant

skowcia.8257

Unless he has no cd 5 energy cost shadowsteps or triple damage buff on skills i dont see that happening. And it wont fix issues with rev still

obey me

in Revenant

Genesis.8572

To be fair, to me the ritualist always seemed like a weird mix of monk (the Restoration attribute), elementalist (the Channeling attribute) and necromancer (the general look and feel of the profession) so the Ritualist itself also seemed disjoined, at least to me.

That was in GW1 when classes were much more specialized. Ritualist seemed out of place there, because it was more like GW2 classes than GW1 ones. It had a good mix of damage, cc, healing and buff support, as well as characteristic class elements (spirits, ashes and weapon buff skills). Which makes its absence in GW2 even more disappointing.

See the Engineer. ArenaNet wanted an engineer back in GW1, but did they had some design issues, so the they reskinned it and turned it into a Ritualist. Come GW2, they decided to go back to their vision for the Engineer, which was reborn from the ashes of the Ritualist.

Tarnished Coast

in Revenant

Khenzo.2465

My fears for the Revenant profession:

• Invocation is Mandatory: If you want your character to have a stunbreak, you must go with Invocation for Empty Vessel. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it. But you have no means of having two stun breaks at the same time. There may be a reason why ANet sees little problem with that since the Rev can only have two legends out, which means that only two other specializations can be used to develop your legends of choice. But this is indicative of a problem…
  • Lack of Build Diversity: The Revenant has virtually minimal build customization options. The Rev lacks weapon swapping can only pick two legends, and these legends determine your healing, utility, and elite skills. Lack of utility options may kill this profession for me. Sure, the Rev has six utilities, but they are predefined for you. You’re choosing which two sets of three you want. But that may force you into having useless utilities you never use on your bar but you have anyway for a particular utility.
  • Lack of Weapon Swapping: Having one weapon is not in itself a problem. Elementalists have one weapon set, but that one weapon set provides them with 20 skills for skills 1-5, and they have their own choice for skills 6-10, which amounts to 25 skills at a time. The engineer has only one weapon too for skills 1-5, but they also have F1-F5 and access to kits, which can provide an additional 5 skills. An engineer can have access to as few as 15 skills (kitless) or as many as 35 skills (kit max) on a character. The Revenant, which lacks weapon swapping, is tied to 15 skills. Most classes get around 15 skills courtesy of weapon swapping. The difference is that weapon swapping provides an advantage in terms of range vs. melee or the dictates of the situation: i.e. skirmish/bunker/etc. The Rev is stuck in either melee or range. There’s no getting out of it. An engineer’s weapons provide semi-melee range, and their kits can also provide range. An elementalist has lots of flexible options for dealing with range or melee with their weapon sets.

When you lay that it out, it’s clear that the Rev only has FOUR major choices apart from their specialization lines: 1) weapon, 2) legend #1, 3) legend #2, and 4) gear. Everything else has already been decided for you. But their choices become even more limited because…

• Weapons too closely tied with particular legend styles: If the legend skills are inflexibile in terms of skills 6-10, then the weapons should probably be more flexible and independently defined from particular legends. As it stands the choices the Rev are faced with amount to which weapon set synergizes well between their two legends of choice. That may seem like a meaningful choice, but in such cases there is often a better choice with the rest being clearly subpar.

I think they are aware of all of this by now.

And I would not be suprised at all if they designed Glint to be a workaround to solve some of these issues.

Like they got too far into the classes development and the vision they had for it whilst in theory sounds cool, the concept, but in pratical application it left the class feeling rather kitten and shallow of a class.

Which is where Glint comess in, I’d imagne they will perhaps use Glint as a scapegoat to sort some of these issues.

Personally, I think one of the biggest things the class needs weapon swap, so you can take a weapon to compliment each legend, seeming Anet are really trying to push weapons and legends as a pair (which is a massive, massive mistake, traitlines being aimed for a legend I guess I can sort of understand) they want us to swap legends frequently it’s obvious, but I’m getting the uneasy feeling it’s just going to cause legend camping.

Which is a shame.

in Revenant

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

We still don’t know what traits Shiro will give, along with the specialisation traits. What I do feel for sure though, is that Revenant definitely needs two things:

Faster hammer attacks – it feels so slow and clunky, especially #1 skill
Weapon swap – definitely needs this

Edit: I also hope that the Temporal Rift skill for revenant’s off-hand axe skill is ground targetable, or at least has a trait which makes it so, because I want to pull people off towers in EOTM, and by the sounds of how it works currently, I don’t think I’ll be able to do that, and I just feel this skill has SO much potential if you can place it where you want it to go (so a trait for it would make sense).

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

(edited by Zaoda.1653)

in Revenant

skowcia.8257

We still don’t know what traits Shiro will give, along with the specialisation traits. What I do feel for sure though, is that Revenant definitely needs two things:

Faster hammer attacks – it feels so slow and clunky, especially #1 skill
Weapon swap – definitely needs this

Edit: I also hope that the Temporal Rift skill for revenant’s off-hand axe skill is ground targetable, or at least has a trait which makes it so, because I want to pull people off towers in EOTM, and by the sounds of how it works currently, I don’t think I’ll be able to do that, and I just feel this skill has SO much potential if you can place it where you want it to go (so a trait for it would make sense).

Faster hammer attack.. I can agree on skill 3 and 5, but 1? Its 100% finisher, hits like a truck. 1sec casttime is fine and let it stay this way. Reduce casttime to 1sec on drop the hammer and make skill 3 a ground targeted shadowstep that wont teleport us back to original location. Hammer needs something to kite people, right now it doesnt have any tools to do so.

I will disagree with weapon swap no matter what. Weps on it own can synergy well with legends, olny mallyx is an exception cause hes condi based. But i dont see a reason to not run mace/axe with jalis/x for example.

Temporal Rift is not ground targeted and most likely it will stay this way sadly.

obey me

in Revenant

Genesis.8572

I think they are aware of all of this by now.

Of course. I wanted to provide more of a summation of the circulated problems.

And I would not be suprised at all if they designed Glint to be a workaround to solve some of these issues.

Like they got too far into the classes development and the vision they had for it whilst in theory sounds cool, the concept, but in pratical application it left the class feeling rather kitten and shallow of a class.

Which is where Glint comess in, I’d imagne they will perhaps use Glint as a scapegoat to sort some of these issues.

Personally, I think one of the biggest things the class needs weapon swap, so you can take a weapon to compliment each legend, seeming Anet are really trying to push weapons and legends as a pair (which is a massive, massive mistake, traitlines being aimed for a legend I guess I can sort of understand) they want us to swap legends frequently it’s obvious, but I’m getting the uneasy feeling it’s just going to cause legend camping.

Which is a shame.

Agreed. It needs something more for sure, and I doubt that Shiro or Glint will be any form of magical band-aid. Just about all playtest reports say about the same about how shallow, clunky, and cumbersome the revenant feels right now.

Tarnished Coast

in Revenant

skowcia.8257

Theres another problem outside of stunbreaks..no mobility on wep set. Idk about some people here but i dont want to be forced to run Shiro, yes most likely i will run Shiro/Glint but forcing people to get one legend for mobility gonna sux on nearly pure melee class.

I think they should rethink Frigid Blitz. By that i mean to decrease it cd and increase energy cost. 6 cd/20 energy would do the trick i believe.

obey me

in Revenant

Khenzo.2465

Theres another problem outside of stunbreaks..no mobility on wep set. Idk about some people here but i dont want to be forced to run Shiro, yes most likely i will run Shiro/Glint but forcing people to get one legend for mobility gonna sux on nearly pure melee class.

I think they should rethink Frigid Blitz. By that i mean to decrease it cd and increase energy cost. 6 cd/20 energy would do the trick i believe.

Yes, this is another glaring issue, didn’t they say they wanted the class to be like a thief with mobility in combat, but more like a guardian out of combat?

How is that in anyway being portrayed with what we currently have, it’s one leap. That’s all.

So I agree with you, they will most likely dump the movement skills on Shiro and/or Glint.

Which just tunnel visions anyone who doesn’t wanted to be lolkited from 100 to 0 from range when deciding what to run in PvP.

And I really dislike it when people bring up the mace leap, from what I can remember the range you moved was really pathetic, and now with swiftness not affecting it you’d probably gain more distance by simply walking.

(edited by Khenzo.2465)

in Revenant

Posted by: Ausfer.1853

Ausfer.1853

All you guys are claiming the sky is falling already. The game is still in beta. The revenant is NOT finalized. We don’t even know what the rest of the legends do, and not all of the revenant’s utility skills are in the game. We don’t even know what the elite specialization is or how it changes the class!

How can you claim this class sucks when you don’t even know everything about it yet????

(edited by Ausfer.1853)

in Revenant

Khenzo.2465

All you guys are claiming the sky is falling already. The game is still in beta. The revenant is NOT finalized. We don’t even know what the rest of the legends do, and not all of the revenant’s utility skills are in the game. We don’t even know what the elite specialization is or how it changes the class!

How can you claim this class sucks when you don’t even know everything about it yet????

It’s called a calculated guess?

Look at the problems we are mentioning, then look at what we currently know.

Ok, done? Yeah? Had a good look?

Does it make sense now at all?

in Revenant

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

Based on what we know of the class’ design philosophy, it’s the core design that seems flawed, and it’s difficult to see a way that this would work.

For example, if they add stun breaks to Shiro, yes it’s going to fix the stun break problem, but now the players are pigeonholed into using that legend in PvP. If they add them to a weapon, then it’s even worse because it’s going to be the only weapon that’s viable in PvP and no weapon swap.

The core class design is questionable on many other aspects too.

Even if they add the weapon swap as some people are suggesting, it’s going to be a faux choice because the weapons are closely tied to a legend. If I use Ventari as my main legend, what’s the point of using anything other than staff? And if I pick staff, what other legend is going to work with it? Certainly not Mallix. I guess Jalis for Rite, but I don’t really have a use for the Taunt if I want to play a healer/support Revenant.

Add to that the (apparent) lack of customizable utility skills and it is poised to be the most rigid, and least customizable class in the game by a long shot.

But, from experience, in most RPGs that add additional classes, the new class is either disappointingly underpowered or ridiculously overpowered, then the devs go in a cycle of overnerfing and overbuffing for the next year until it finds balance. I don’t think this game is going to be different.