Many people left because of HoT?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Valky.2574

Valky.2574

Yea the game is turning into the games i left so i might as well go back to the others that have the same grind elite raids as gw2 but with 12+ years worth of raid content + LFR ! / casual option ! about a year or 2 brake from this game sounds like a good ideal maybe they will finally figure out if they want to be a Hardcore EQ1 game or a fun core gw2 game like it was

Posted by: Amineo.8951

Amineo.8951

About 3/4 of my HoT experience was waiting till I could join a full map to do events or a raid group (no LFG section is unacceptable, whatever the reason is), 1/4 was the horrible grind for masteries (I hate adventures) and the timegate that just makes me wanna play something else which I will eventually do when Dark Souls 3 comes out…

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

anet probably just hope you have a life and don’t run out of things so fast.

On the contrary, none of the HoT maps are designed for people that “have a life”.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Daewind.1072

Daewind.1072

On the contrary, none of the HoT maps are designed for people that “have a life”.

I agree. Too much grinding and waiting for enough others to do some events.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

There’s a very easy solution. Make more than 4 merry-go-rounds. A respectable amount of content.

So, you’re fine with everything about the reward system except that there should have been more zones, each being its own meta event? How many more would it have taken to satisfy you?

Posted by: Thrist.9046

Thrist.9046

There’s a very easy solution. Make more than 4 merry-go-rounds. A respectable amount of content.

So, you’re fine with everything about the reward system except that there should have been more zones, each being its own meta event? How many more would it have taken to satisfy you?

The meta event for zones needs to go moving forward. I don’t expect Anet to change HoT but I’ve have enough of this format now.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I don’t even know how many wvw players there were. I think the population might be shrinking.

I’m not sure if that is expected or Anet just didn’t do enough good a job.

My past experience for RvR game is it only have a couple year life spam. So it could be it is just time.

I honestly never saw any RvR focus game that can live past a few years.

Since when did GW2 count as a RvR focused game?

Astralporing.1957

Err, no, i’m not sure how you could get that from this discussion. What i meant (and Manasa likely meant as well) is that there should be a lot of other content, besides 4 metas.

TL/dr: not only the quantity of content is small, but it is also lacking in variety, which compounds the problem.

Actions, not words.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

The reward system would be fine if the main avenues of going about to acquire rewards would be more accessible, more numerous and more palatable. Too many variables there to pin down an answer to that question.

Posted by: Thrist.9046

Thrist.9046

I tend to agree with Manasa on this. Not enough variety. Too many eggs in one basket. If you like that particular basket, you’re gold. But if you don’t like that basket you’re SOL as the saying goes.

I don’t love the basket, but you know, I really like eggs, so there is that.

Posted by: Silicato.4603

Silicato.4603

HoT sells were bad, yep. Confirmed yesterday by NCsoft’s CEO. Or as he said: “weaker than expected”.

Posted by: Vieux P.1238

Vieux P.1238

HoT sells were bad, yep. Confirmed yesterday by NCsoft’s CEO. Or as he said: “weaker than expected”.

Link plz..

Posted by: Ranael.6423

Ranael.6423

I agree. Too much grinding and waiting for enough others to do some events.

While I think the “grind” part is mostly bearable (well because there are no real reason to rush every rewards of every maps) I however play less and less HoT maps because of timers, taxis requirements and this annoying megaserver.
I mean if you go in SW and don’t mind to do a full cycle, you can still hold a fort for a time, make the counter rise, then advertise in LFG and things go faster and faster. The timer of maps in HoT make it so you have to be at the right moment. Since there is no resource in game you always have to alt tab to dulfy’s timer or the wiki to know where you have a chance to be able to play. Once you know then you have to fight to find a good map where you will not be alone. If you are lucky enough then there won’t be a megaserver message to tell you that you should go on an emptier map because apparently it prefers to have 5 people on a map than 10…..

While I am not a huge fan of WB timers (because if you play everytime in the same time frame you never experience other encounters) at least once you catch the train, there is always someone to tell where the next boss is and most of the time you won’t be alone on the map. And even if this happens, 20 people can beat almost every WB… but no HoT meta event. So the choice is to spend a lot of time searching for a reliable way to gain the new rewards or just hop on an old map and have fun immediately, earning former rewards…..

Silicato.4603

Link plz..

If i have listened to the data, surely you can as well….
go to NCsoft global web, into IR statements, download the press conference and listen. Pay special attention when they ask about GW2, and the answers of the CEO.ç

There is no better blind, than the one who doesnt want to see…

Posted by: Raziel.4216

Raziel.4216

Link plz..

If i have listened to the data, surely you can as well….
go to NCsoft global web, into IR statements, download the press conference and listen. Pay special attention when they ask about GW2, and the answers of the CEO.ç

There is no better blind, than the one who doesnt want to see…

There’re multiple topics with this info on here and reddit.
HoT did fine (unless you count the predictions by a group that’s never made any realistic ones in the last 3 years), Gem sales are fine, GW2 is still one of NCSOFT’s most profittable products, F2P to HoT conversion rate was low and they plan to address that.

Edit: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Ncsoft-s-earnings-4Q-2015/first#post5980709

If Legend of Zelda came out tomorrow, the usual
forum dwellers would go nuts about the need to
“grind” to get exp, new swords, new potions etc

(edited by Raziel.4216)

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

Yet another guild member quit the game cause of hot #justsaying

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: Valky.2574

Valky.2574

Well know one knows how many left, i now just look around the forum and log in once a day for login rewards, so can’t say i really quit even tho i am now playing another game
but more like taking a brake to see how things turn out, if it’s still the same by the end of the year then yes i might really quit and uninstall, until then i will try and remember to log in once a day but i might end up forgetting this game sooner if the other game sparks my interest once i get some levels up

Silicato.4603

HoT did fine (unless you count the predictions by a “group that’s never made any realistic ones in the last 3 years”), Gem sales are fine, GW2 is still one of NCSOFT’s most profittable products, F2P to HoT conversion rate was low and they plan to address that.

XD. Funny you said that, when that “group that’s never made any realistic prediction in the last 3 years” predicted HoT to sell over 10 million dollars more than it actually sold (even after reducing their predictionts month after month) XD. You are right they predicted it wrong, but they were actually more optimistic than reality was.

Sales were “weaker than expected”
f2p players didnt bought HoT enough, old players didnt bought HoT enough.
They identified a gap between player expectations on HoT and the launched product.
GW2 is still one of NCSOFT’s most profittable products in such a huge way, that it lost a position in NCsoft ranking in revenues in favour of B&S, a game without an expansion on 2015, in a year where GW2 actually had an expansion (and without taking into consideration that B&S was not yet launched in US/EU, where it is being a huge success with over 2 million players already in a just 1 month).
So now Gw2 instead of being the 2nd best game of NCsoft in revenues like it was in 2014, a year with no expansion, it is now the 3rd in a year with expansion, and for 2016 it may be even surpassed for Lineage 2 and became 4th, due they are too close on revenues. Time will tell i guess :P.
On top of all that, they announced on the press conference plans to try to fix all this and incentivate sales (like including specific events or special in game items, only for HoT users, and they are redesigning with anet the kind of content developed and frequency of the updates…).
They are also talking about strategies to make the develop of the game more efficient in order to increase revenues but… of course: listen to Raziel, because everyting is fine and i just may have listened imaginary voices saying all that when i listened to that press conference and watching imaginary numbers when i readed the finantial statements… XD

As i said: there is no better blind that the one who doesnt want to see…. i would like an invitation to the self-deception planet, seems a funny place.

Raziel.4216

Sales being weaker than expected will be addressed with HoT-exclusive content.
It remains a main revenue driver for NCsoft = it’s proffitable, it’s not dieing, it’s not failing, etc. etc. -insert all doomsayer comments here-

You didn’t add anything not found in the translation linked, you simply expanded on what I said with a very obvious negative bias and then add a self-deception puch-line.
Cute ?

Btw I never said everything is fine, don’t put words in my mouth.

Time will tell – the line told by doomsayers for 3 years and counting…

(edited by Raziel.4216)

Silicato.4603

“HoT did fine”, you said. thats enough self-deception to me, sorry. Cause HoT did weaker than expected, to say it nicely as mr CEO did.

If you didnt pretend to self-decept yourself or others painting the scenario in pink, then i dont know what was your goal saying HoT did fine.
But dont worry, dont care and dont want to start a discussion for that.
I just wanted to clarify (with a very obvious negative bias, i agree) that actually HoT didnt made fine.

And remember i never said it was failing or dieing (but you did say it did fine, thought).

Said that, sorry if i ofended you with my negative bias and my puch-line. It wasnt my intention, honestly. I only wanted to prove what i said at the start: that "HoT sells were bad, yep. Confirmed yesterday by NCsoft’s CEO. Or as he said: “weaker than expected”, instead of what you said, that did fine.

(edited by Silicato.4603)

Raziel.4216

HoT did fine =/= everything is fine. I also said the conversion rates were lower than intended.
Fine also means it’s not about to die, it didn’t fail, it didn’t have a mass exodus and all the other doomsayer crap the forums are filled with.
NCSOFT said the conversion rate from F2P to HoT was lower than expected, they didn’t say “HoT sales were bad, yep”.

Try again?

Silicato.4603

Lol, they didnt even said that Wildstar sales were bad XD. do you really expect a CEO, in front of their investors to say: sales were bad? XD They need to use an specific vocabulary, dude. Money ans investments are on the table XD

And in any case, that is exactly the reason why after my " HoT sales were bad, yep" i added "Or as he said: “weaker than expected”. just a translation into a not business related situation like this forum so anyone can understand it as it is.

Is funny that before that sentence, " HoT sales were weaker than expected", you found perfectly nice to translate them into: “Hot did fine” but seem odd to you that i translate them as “they were bad” lol.

PS: was the try good enough?

(edited by Silicato.4603)

Raziel.4216

Money and possible investment are on the table, with that in mind:

GW2 is a main revenue driver.
Gem income per active player is good.
HoT conversion rate was lower than expected and it’s going to be addressed.

None of that spells it’s doing badly, it’s not doing as good as it could and something will be done about it.

PS: not really.

Posted by: Sicarius.4639

Sicarius.4639

They must of been over the moon that BnS is putting out expansion level numbers without actually having expanded at all or gained any new regions yet.

Posted by: BlueBoy.1236

BlueBoy.1236

Yes, there are many people that i know left gw2 few months after HoT release. Some of them used to be a very active WvW commander, and some are actually the founder of the very first few dungeon mentor guilds in gw2. They were the people who’re willing to spend countless hours teaching noobs like me on how to beat Lupi, and they didn’t even ask a single gold for compensation. It’s something I rarely see from today gw2 community. They were the people who could still entertain a full server with their stupid accent even tho our server was beaten every time.

Many wonderful people have left gw2, and honestly, this game feels so bland without them

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I’ve seen on countless sites that GW2 in on the top mostp layed MMOs out there, mostly in second or third place.

I also noticed a lot of the controversy caused by the expansion — more related about its content, features, perfomance and price.

I’m on a weak laptop, but I manage to run GW2 with average 25-30 fps in all of Tyria. Sadly my fps are below 10 in HoT, but I manage to play it if I select the lowest graphical setup available.

I don’t really like the new maps. They’re really hard and I feel lost. I prefer to play by myself and when I bring a friend we just rush it. I also have died a lot.

There are way too many threads complaining about GW2: HoT. Many people have left because of the expansion and another handful of players avoid the expansion like the plague. I also heard that the HoT sales were dreadful. Is this true?

Meh, the sales weren’t as high as they wanted, mostly because they didn’t get as many F2Pers buying HoT as they wanted. No surprise there, though. They didn’t say the sales were “dreadful.”

Have players left after HoT? Well, yeah. We don’t know how many. I’ve talked with a fair number of people in the game about this and most of them sited lack of time to play how they want in HoT due to all the timers on the events and fights, so they ended up not playing the new content as much as they thought they would. This is the #1 reason people have given me for why they’re not really playing HoT when we’ve got to talking. The #2 reason is boredom with the mastery system.

From personal experience? HoT maps seem to have become less busy overall as time has gone by, but there’s still folks out there, like on weekends. Numbers don’t seem spectacular for the events overall, but it you don’t mind skipping some hero points, you can still get stuff done.

Posted by: qbalrog.8017

qbalrog.8017

Gem income per active player is good.

But how is active player defined? And how have the number of active players held up? If active players is >10 hours per week, I would not be surprised that the gem sales have held up. But how many formerly active players are now below what ever threshold they set as active player?

If I were in marketing, I would set a fairly high active player threshold because you know that above a certain level of play per week, engagement and therefore gem purchases will hold steady. It’s kind of a skewed stat though if you don’t report how your active player base is doing.

Posted by: Kelly.7019

Kelly.7019

More and more harder content is just the way of games these days. HoT was a wkaer up call for casuals who enojyed GW2 the way it was and didn’t want a huge shift in content skill. I love the new WvW maps I don’t understand why people dislike them. They are fun to play with small roaming groups – which is just about all thats on them now, and that makes it more fun then Huge zergs anyways. But there is alot of difficult and challenging content: adventures, and random personal story bits that are way too difficult imo. I’ve been playing since launch and this is insane. I must admit i took a break around xmas- thru January because i disliked it so much. Definetly feels more WoW like with raids and obvious grind sessions, before it was more fun now its more study websites to learn routes and guides on how to do stuff in game and that really defeats the point. If the core base is hardcore players- which i don’t think it is that’s a small vocal group then i’d understand. But this game is for RP’ers and casuals lets be honest. Most things will get easier if you play it more, (what anet wants) but some things will still just kick you in the A##.

Yo, Ho, all together, raise the colors high,
Yo, Ho, thieves and beggars, never shall we die

Astralporing.1957

More and more harder content is just the way of games these days.

It’s the opposite, actually. If you compare current games with past ones, you’ll notice that they are way easier now that they were once. This is for a simple reason – really hard games do not sell so good. The “good old days of gaming” won’t return, because they aren’t so good for a vast majority of current gamers.

Yes, there are games aimed at those minorities that did like it the old way, but i don’t think there was even a single business succes that came from turning towards this group in a game originally meant for a wider public.

Anet doesn’t seem to understand that.

Actions, not words.

Posted by: Aldath.1275

Aldath.1275

The current situation on GW2 makes me remember what happened with Gaia Online before the hyperinflation of prices happened, in fact…

http://30daysoftravel.com/files/2013/09/2013-09-19-6668-640x426.jpg

Posted by: Ricky.4706

Ricky.4706

“I love the new WvW maps I don’t understand why people dislike them.”

just to be fair, i tried it, i ran with a group i found and for 30 minutes all I did was walk around with yaks.

the new borderlands should have been something new in addition to what we already developed strategies for. Instead they replaced the areas we were already familiar with and barely holding on to ( for smaller population servers ), and most servers simply don’t have enough numbers to fill them, thus rendering any new potential strategies and advantages moot. The unbalanced fights for smaller servers is already stressful enough, than to have to learn a new map that is larger than your server can fill.

IBM PC XT 4.77mhz w/turbo oc@ 8mhz 640kb windows 3.1 hayes 56k seagate 20 meg HD mda@720x350 pixels

(edited by Ricky.4706)

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

I’m definitely not an active player anymore, and its not just because of HoT. Its pretty much everything Anet has done over the last year. They spend too much time trying to reinvent the Hamster Wheel to realize they’ve been building the same Hamster Wheels since 2004.

Posted by: Rococo.8347

Rococo.8347

Well to me WvW seems very quiet, cities seem quieter and so is pvp later in the day, I don’t know how shards work so unsure about Hot maps but im never sent to a suitable map, I always have to taxi out – that could just be the design/timer/megaserver issues though….

Overall though im seeing less people, people seems to be losing a lot of Guildies and ive only just gone back to Hot atall after playing just for 3 weeks before Christmas before deciding to take a break.

There are a lot of players like me that simply don’t want to or arn’t able to commit the grinding time to doing Legendary weapons or Raiding, playing and paying for the maps and story and to be frank – its about time we saw some Living Story.

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

I hated Arenas in WoW and I hate them here. HoT killed SPvP for me. Hate playing it now. The community is very bad now. Witnessed this same situation when WoW introduced Arenas as the main PvP in TBC, ifs first expansion. Slowly the battleground became nothingness as progression was weak there. But Arena requires premades to be success, and players prefer meta when forming groups. Aka best class in slot. That ruins PvP for people that don’t play meta.

Posted by: Akkeros.1675

Akkeros.1675

The reward system would be fine if the main avenues of going about to acquire rewards would be more accessible, more numerous and more palatable. Too many variables there to pin down an answer to that question.

It seems there should be a method to obtain the currencies which gate better gear in a solo or group fashion. You are dependent upon large groups to coordinate on a single map to gain anything for hours worth of work sometimes. If you are not on the map, no reward for same amount of effort.

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

I’ve never seen as much people on map as now, maybe the people playing GW2 are too busy playing it to complain on the forum?

It’s just what I heard. No need for smartback comments.

I’m just curious because I only started GW2 in September or late August. Not sure if it was bigger before or not.

I think he was being literal because the game definitely has people and zergs in HoT maps and areas. The LFG Tool is a huge asset to this.

reapex.8546

2 Kinds of players atm.

1. Complaining in forums about HoT sucks etc.
2.Playing and enjoying the game right now.

Agreed.

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

The reward system in HoT is very similar to the cooking craft.

You want reward “B”? That’s 250 of ingredient 1, 250 of ingredient 2, 250 of ingredient 3 and one of reward A. Reward A, you ask? That’s another 100 of ingredient 1, another 100 of ingredient 2, another 100 of ingredient 3 and one of ingredient 47.

Ingredient 1 = Airship Parts.
Ingredient 2 = Lumps od Aurillium
Ingredient 3 = Ley Line Crystals
Ingredient 47 = Reclaimed metal Plate
Reward A = Plated Weapon

This is an approximation of how to “cook up” a Machined Weapon. I left out some stuff because I don’t care to be complete, what I’m showing is clear enough.

Almost everything is like this. And for every reward you want, you need to take just a few more rides on the 4 meta-merry-go-rounds. Until you’re dizzy and want to puke.

Round and round we go.
Where we stop, nobody knows.

Let us – just for a minute – suppose that as a developer, your goal is to entice players to repeat content long after the initial new content smell is gone and the content, like an old car, starts to smell like sweaty socks and that pizza you ate six months ago. So, you use rewards. It’s what all MMO’s do. What are your options?

• Well, you could use low-chance RNG. There was a sword I was supposed to get as a sometimes off-tank in Wrath. Never got it, until eventually it became irrelevant. Turns out a lot of GW2 players don’t like low-chance RNG. The frustration factor, don’t you know.
  • You could use a sure, incremental means, such as gathering stuff which gets turned in for Shiny Z. Whether this is one currency (e.g., tokens) or many ingredients (crafting, where you gather gold and buy the mats) is not really material. You get there, sooner or later.
  • Or, you could combine RNG and incremental rewards. This would be crafting where you gather all the mats through play, and some of them are gained via drops (e.g., Lodestones).

Sure, Anet could shorten the list, and/or shorten the total amount of increments. So what happens. Joe Stereotype, who plays 20 hours a day, gets Shiny Z in the first seven hours the content is live. Does he rest in the 8th hour? Heck, no! He gets on the official forums or on fan sites and raises holy kitten about nothing to do. Even Joe Casual, who plays an hour a day, gets Shiny Z in the first week or so. Even he wants something new. It took the developer 6 months to make the content. Do the math.

For that matter, they could award Shiny Z for beating the content the first time. Why not? Near instant gratification.

So, got any solutions? I sure don’t. I’ve yet to see a different option used in an MMO. I’ve also yet to see any posters suggest a different option that would also allow the developer to extend content life.

They had an excellent system that worked perfectly: Silverwastes. Then they jettisoned basically everything about that system that worked (generous amounts of map currency, tons of loot, a meta event that obeys the players’ schedules rather than vice versa, etc) and made the HoT maps.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

They had an excellent system that worked perfectly: Silverwastes. Then they jettisoned basically everything about that system that worked (generous amounts of map currency, tons of loot, a meta event that obeys the players’ schedules rather than vice versa, etc) and made the HoT maps.

Except that people complaints about leeching which really did annoy some people and really was a problem.

The fact is, some poor people didn’t know better and did all the events to get through to the breach event, and then everyone showed up and taxied people in and took over. It’s great for people who follow the game and know about that stuff, but unfair to everyone else.

It wasn’t a perfect system. It required some change. You may not like the change, but let’s not pretend there were no complaints.

Manasa Devi.7958

None of the complaints had anything to do with synchronizing the events to the real-world clock and no one complained that the cycle was too short.

So, Silverwastes with rewards tied to participation level? It’s a no-brainer, really. Player-propelled progress and rewards based on participation in that progress.

(edited by Manasa Devi.7958)

Vayne.8563

None of the complaints had anything to do with synchronizing the events to the real-world clock and no one complained that the cycle was too short.

So, Silverwastes with rewards tied to participation level? It’s a no-brainer, really. Player-propelled progress and rewards based on participation in that progress.

Actually leeching has everything to do with the events happening in every zone at the same time. Which means, synchronizing them. As long as you can port from event to event, zone to zone, people will do it.

Manasa Devi.7958

Doing that resets your participation to 0. There is absolutely no reason at all to involve the real world clock. And even if there were, that reason should be taken away rather than settling for the clock, because the clock is rubbish.

Vayne.8563

Doing that resets your participation to 0.

My point is, the original system needed to be changed somehow. It wasn’t all roses, in spite of people saying it was. I know because there were complaint threads.

This is how they tried to change it. It needs work but it’s not necessarily a lost cause.

Posted by: revox.8273

revox.8273

“Hot did fine” mmm i think it did “fine” just bcz of new specializations imo and its the only thing that made me buy the expansion
i think ppl are mad becouse they feel the pressure to buy Hot or they can go to sleep since dungeons are nerfed, in pvp u are S**t without elite specs and get steamrolled, wvw is dead, in a nutshell u have nothing to do without Hot

Posted by: Nythrilyn.2146

Nythrilyn.2146

I use to love this game and only log in for my daily reward and if I am in the mood a couple of pvp matches. The guild I am in is taking a break until the wvw overhaul, so really no point in playing much these days for me personally so now I playing Skyforge. On the bright side, a lot more people are heading back to Guild Wars, in all honesty there was only ever one Guild Wars.. idk what to even call this game anymore, but it definately isn’t guild wars 2

Posted by: Amineo.8951

Amineo.8951

I think killing dungeons just to promote raids and fractals was a terrible idea, because both exclude 80% of the playerbase (might be even more) as these require ascended stuff which everyone knows how frustrating it is to get, but also the poor content in fractals. There’s only one raid atm but it’s not appealing for various reasons:

1. Pushing the Zerk meta again, which was the main complaint a while ago
2. Pushing the trinity by forcing players to have a tank and a healer
3. Timers everywhere
4. Ascended stuff is not required, you said it was recommended and an hour later for the playerbase → Ascended required
5. The bosses aren’t challenging (except Sabetha), I’m sorry but it’s the truth, if players fail it’s because they don’t know how to play their class: VG is cake, Gorseval is a poor DPS meter.

One more thing: People still abuse bugs in fractals and stack, so the argument to abandon dungeons is not justified.

IndigoSundown.5419

The reward system in HoT is very similar to the cooking craft.

You want reward “B”? That’s 250 of ingredient 1, 250 of ingredient 2, 250 of ingredient 3 and one of reward A. Reward A, you ask? That’s another 100 of ingredient 1, another 100 of ingredient 2, another 100 of ingredient 3 and one of ingredient 47.

Ingredient 1 = Airship Parts.
Ingredient 2 = Lumps od Aurillium
Ingredient 3 = Ley Line Crystals
Ingredient 47 = Reclaimed metal Plate
Reward A = Plated Weapon

This is an approximation of how to “cook up” a Machined Weapon. I left out some stuff because I don’t care to be complete, what I’m showing is clear enough.

Almost everything is like this. And for every reward you want, you need to take just a few more rides on the 4 meta-merry-go-rounds. Until you’re dizzy and want to puke.

Round and round we go.
Where we stop, nobody knows.

Let us – just for a minute – suppose that as a developer, your goal is to entice players to repeat content long after the initial new content smell is gone and the content, like an old car, starts to smell like sweaty socks and that pizza you ate six months ago. So, you use rewards. It’s what all MMO’s do. What are your options?

• Well, you could use low-chance RNG. There was a sword I was supposed to get as a sometimes off-tank in Wrath. Never got it, until eventually it became irrelevant. Turns out a lot of GW2 players don’t like low-chance RNG. The frustration factor, don’t you know.
  • You could use a sure, incremental means, such as gathering stuff which gets turned in for Shiny Z. Whether this is one currency (e.g., tokens) or many ingredients (crafting, where you gather gold and buy the mats) is not really material. You get there, sooner or later.
  • Or, you could combine RNG and incremental rewards. This would be crafting where you gather all the mats through play, and some of them are gained via drops (e.g., Lodestones).

Sure, Anet could shorten the list, and/or shorten the total amount of increments. So what happens. Joe Stereotype, who plays 20 hours a day, gets Shiny Z in the first seven hours the content is live. Does he rest in the 8th hour? Heck, no! He gets on the official forums or on fan sites and raises holy kitten about nothing to do. Even Joe Casual, who plays an hour a day, gets Shiny Z in the first week or so. Even he wants something new. It took the developer 6 months to make the content. Do the math.

For that matter, they could award Shiny Z for beating the content the first time. Why not? Near instant gratification.

So, got any solutions? I sure don’t. I’ve yet to see a different option used in an MMO. I’ve also yet to see any posters suggest a different option that would also allow the developer to extend content life.

I agree, Hyper, that SW was/is a better map than the HoT ones in terms of no timer. The only change I’d make to it was to enable chest farms only during the break between iterations.

Posted by: Paandor.1950

Paandor.1950

Game just simply isn’t fun anymore. Time to go.

reapex.8546

I agree, Hyper, that SW was/is a better map than the HoT ones in terms of no timer. The only change I’d make to it was to enable chest farms only during the break between iterations.

SW has a map reset timer after the Vinewrath is defeated.

IndigoSundown.5419

SW has a map reset timer after the Vinewrath is defeated.

So what. We were talking about timed events, not timed down time.