Missing Closed Beta Invitation Compensation

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Keeper Of Traken.6829

Keeper Of Traken.6829

I farmed for a week to get a “Portal To The Heart Of Maguuma”, which according to the GW2 website announcement would “guarantee” a spot in the Closed Beta. I was so happy the day I found it, after day after day in Dry Top and Silverwastes, areas I was normally known to run in.

I received the in-game e-mail congratulating me once I picked up the Portal.

But I never received the personal e-mail invite to the Closed Beta, nor did I get a Beta slot in my login screen.

I opened an in-game bug report, as I was once told by support that was best because it shows a snapshot of my game state. But I heard nothing back from that.

I opened a support ticket 1537188 for the lack of Beta access despite the Portal in inventory. I received back word that it was being investigated, but heard nothing else before the Closed Beta ended.

I now have an unused “Portal to the Heart of Maguuma” in my inventory that I worked for long and hard for, and it did not provide the promised reward. I was hoping that for those “handful” of us that were affected according to my support case could be allowed to exchange the Portals that failed to grant access for some token of extreme value, as compensation for our farming time and efforts, and the extreme disappointment of not being allowed to participate in the Closed Beta.

Maybe a merchant or other vendor can be added, allowing us to exchange the unused Portal for, say, a Legendary Weapon chest or a Massive Achievement chest-type award, something to acknowledge things didn’t work out the way everyone expected, or had planned, but efforts were appreciated ??

Thank you for your consideration.

Keeper Of Traken

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

“after day after day in Dry Top and Silverwastes, areas I was normally known to run in.”

As I understand what you are saying, you played in areas you normally play. Got tons of loot and now want a Legendary Weapon Chest because a bug didn’t allow you to do a closed beta.

They’ll get right on your suggestion, I’m sure.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

There are still open tickets. Support is working on tracking down the cause of the glitch, but there’s a weekend going on right now … how do I know? I’ve been in cordial communication on my ticket as one of the affected people.

Anyway, major in game bling seems overkill as compensation. What I and others have suggested — and I’m fine with not getting anything, because crap happens and missing out on a couple of fun hours of bug hunting has not ruined my life — is that all those with inoperative Portals get an automatic invite to the next closed beta, if there is one, without any RNG or farming required.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

ROFLMAO

Thats all I have to say about this unfitting totally out of place entitlement

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Jinroh.4251

Jinroh.4251

1) Do you have a beta character slot? Keep scrolling until you see it.
2) You can only play the beta during certain times which you can look up.
If you don’t see the beta character slot or beta button then I don’t know what else to say. Companies usually don’t compensate you unless you’ve lost money. Even then it’s iffy.

Keeper Of Traken.6829

Okay, yes, sorry, I did mean to write that I am NOT normally playing in Dry Top or Silverwastes.

And yes, I feel like my account has been put through the wringer in the month of May, as I endured a “Permanent Ban” for a day for no apparently good reason, followed up by the loss of the Beta Access. I don’t normally complain to this level, but my blind faith at opening Guild Wars 2 each day and logging in to enjoy the game were shaken to their core recently.

Any sense of entitlement comes from the fact that I do happen to be a customer of Anet, having purchased all the Guild Wars games, expansion packs, Guild Wars 2, Gem cards, and will pay whatever to acquire HoT. If a paying customer doesn’t have some sort of expectaion of compensation if systems don’t deliver as promised, I don’t know what other forms of entitlement there are.

That being said, I am just happy to hear that this is still an area of discussion, and those that encountered this issue will not be forgotten.

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’m sorry, but the notion that you should be compensated with a Legendary Chest because a bug didn’t let you play a closed beta is ludicrous. Another invite to the next beta is reasonable. Your suggestion is not. (And I got a permanent ban lasting 27 hours once also).

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Gee, I got ‘permanently’ banned for 3 or 4 days once. Fortunately, the error was discovered and my account was re-instated.

Still, I did not demand, ask, beg or even hint at being compensated; especially not with a Legendary. Skritt happens!

Posted by: Weirwynn.2390

Weirwynn.2390

You want ‘extreme rewards’ that most of the people who actually got into the beta would rather be given than the beta that they actually got to play?

Good luck with that.

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

So happy I chose not to farm for that stupid portal. Sorry you missed out, OP, but asking for a Legendary is…

…well, I’d tell you what it is, but I’m going to avoid the infraction points instead.

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

Keeper Of Traken.6829

Although most posts here make clear that a “Legendary Chest” would be way too high a price to pay, it seems as though everyone agrees “something” would be appropriate, and most probably that “nothing”, or very little, would not. So it is really a matter of how high a value an individual might place on a given activity, and the actual real value of the item being asked in return.

I am a paying customer, who even occasionally buys gems for real world $$, for no other reason than just because I enjoy playing the game. The next time I am in my local Target store, and I reach for a Guild Wars 2 Gem Card on the shelf, I will stop and think first. Will I think “I missed out on that Beta, and got banned for no real reason, and could lose all access to GW2 at any time on a whim, and all I had done would be lost, and no one seemed to care, should I buy these gems ?” Or will I think, “Wow, I had problems, but they all got cleared up quickly, and they took care of me, and made it all right, and today I want more gems to add two more character slots!”.

Now what was asked in return ? What is a Legendary Weapon? A string of ones and zeros assigned to my account, that in some circumstances, causes specials animations to be displayed in the user’s client, to make the user feel happy about themselves and playing the game.

I don’t believe a string of in-game ones and zeros versus the happiness of real world customers and their spending dollars is that unreasonable a request. Nor was it my only request, nor necessarily was it the true intent of my request. A discussion about whether there actually was an issue, whether it needs to be addressed, and what is appropriate level of response will be, is fine.

But thank you, I do appreciate to see how others view the game, and I am happy that I can post my thoughts and receive feedback..

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I think the OP should receive some sort of compensation. By the same token it won’t be a legendary or a precursor or anything close. And I don’t think the OP should expect that.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

compensation in a form of Legendary Weapon ? lol

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: DocZed.6973

DocZed.6973

The power at my house got cut for the last play session because of some wingbat crashing into a telephone post.
Have I called the power company asking for compensation? Have I emailed Anet to compensate me for the missing two hours that I earned?
No. Because kitten happens.

All 9 classes leveled and geared to 80!
Remnants of Hope [HOPE]: Tarnished Coast

Just a flesh wound.3589

The problem is, you are putting too high a value on the the bug. The amount of time you put into trying for the beta was your own choice, even if the place wasn’t. You were compensated for your time by getting to play in an area that is the most profitable spot in the game. It’s not like you had to play in a spot like Queensdale where you would be lucky to get a gold for several hours of playing. How much gold, mats, karma, obsidian shards, exotic weapons, bandit crests did you get from your play time?

So you have already received a substantial reward for trying to get the beta which imo more than covers that time. The loss of not getting into the beta itself is negligible and is easily taken care of by a guaranteed invitation to the next beta.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: DemonCow.5328

DemonCow.5328

Thought OP was just trolling… continued reading & realized OP actually wants compensation… still not sure if I believe what I just read.

[TI] Taking Initiative- Tarnished Coast
Guild Leader
takinginitiative.enjin.com

Weirwynn.2390

Although most posts here make clear that a “Legendary Chest” would be way too high a price to pay, it seems as though everyone agrees “something” would be appropriate, and most probably that “nothing”, or very little, would not.

I really have no idea where you got that idea. I guess we all hear what we want to hear.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I got two Portals. I demand a Legendary because I only needed one and the other was a wasted drop! Clearly a Legendary should be the compensation because…purple!!

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Psybunny.8906

Psybunny.8906

I think the only fitting compensation OP should receive is 2 blues and 1 green.

Posted by: L Step.8659

L Step.8659

The legendary compensation is beyond a joke. Maybe just give you all that box that contains a set of the Krytan/Profane/Primeval like the first beta test participants received.

Although I hate these threads where people act like SW is a lot of work and effort, you literally just afk until certain events and get lucky with RNG.

ReRolled [Re] GvG Hero/Wannabe

Best NA rallybot on EU

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

Let’s split some issues:
Firstly, you opened a ticket for a good reason and didn’t get a reply. I want you to read this thread carefully: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Delayed-or-No-Ticket-Reply-Read-This

Specially the part bout spamfolders and stuff like that.
If you really didn’t get a reply saying anything more then “we are investigating this” (also read below what the answer should be).

If you really didn’t get a reply then you want to put up your ticketnumber for review here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/GW2-Tickets-for-Review-3-days-older-1

The answer you should get is that your name is put on a list that is provided tot the devs. The ticket is then closed without any compensation.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Portal-Stone-and-No-Slot/page/2

At the moment there is no official word bout compensation. I think it is outragious you even asked for a legendary chest. You should be ashamedfor that!!

Proper compensation (if any is given!) should be access to a beta event in the future. nothing more or less!

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

Proper compensation (if any is given!) should be access to a beta event in the future. nothing more or less!

That is the only correct answer here.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

You will get….NOTHING.

:)

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

Guy, its a game, bugs happens.

No one forced you to farm to get it. You got A LOT of rewards while farming the portal, the portal was just a plus into your account. Asking for a “Compensation” is in the least of toughts, a arrogant and selfish thinking.

What about people that farmed way more than you, and never ever received the portal? Your sense of fairness fail for me.

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

Farmed SW for a week, expects legendary. gg.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’ll be honest, if you applied FOR THE NEWSLETTER you should have gotten the invite , if you didn’t apply it’s not A-Nets fault.

Also :Most ppl who apllied for the newsletter around of the time they announced the actual closed beta -weekend-, seem to have gotten left out. Those who were on time got in (before this time, during the actual farm or before). I do not know where A-net put the line, but I guess you were a bit late….

This part is incorrect. A sub to the newsletter was not at all required. An invite via the newsletter was not needed. All one had to have was the beta slot added to one’s character select.

Also, being subscribed earlier did not mean getting in. I’ve been subscribed since long before the original HoT announcement. I got two portals. I did not get my beta slot (or the email).

There wasn’t a “line” placed to bar people from entry, this is a real bug and Support is trying to find the cause. Sorry for the slight derail here from the compensation discussion, but I already put my answer to that towards the top of the thread. I just don’t want people forming an opinion that if compensation is reasonable to ask for, it should be denied because of “you snooze you lose even if you got a portal.” Late newsletter application was not in any way the determining factor here.

Posted by: MattyP.6954

MattyP.6954

It’s kind of silly to expect ArenaNet to compensate you for a bug you experienced during a beta…

Server — Fort Aspenwood
Mains — Mathias of the Wood [Ranger]; Collaborator Bluatt [Engineer]
Alts — Necromancer, Warrior, Elementalist

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

That is the only correct answer here.

Agreed.

It’s not like the beta players were getting to make legendary weapons or given legendary chests to transfer over to their non-beta characters.

And it’s not like getting the portal to the beta required anything truly difficult. Just RNG luck. That’s not worthy of a legendary in compensation because the beta glitched.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Well I certainly hope we get compensation in the form of access to the next beta.

Your completely absurd post is really hurting our chances though.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I might be wrong, I rest my case. Posts deleted.

Still a legendary is rediculous.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Taken from the HoT Beta FAQ:

Why didn’t I get in to the beta?

Our first beta test used a very small group of players chosen at random from people who subscribe to our newsletter. Our current test uses this method as well as the “Portal to the Heart of Maguuma,” an in-game item which had a chance to drop from enemies in Dry Top and the Silverwastes. Players who found this item are guaranteed a spot in the current closed beta test! Signing up for the newsletter is not required to access the beta test if you received one of these items. However, to get beta schedules, instructions on how to access the test, or any other beta-related information, you still need to sign up for the newsletter. Make sure you sign up using the same e-mail address that you use for your game account.

https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/91220997-Heart-of-Thorns-Beta-FAQ

Posted by: CorrynnStarr.7942

CorrynnStarr.7942

Although most posts here make clear that a “Legendary Chest” would be way too high a price to pay, it seems as though everyone agrees “something” would be appropriate, and most probably that “nothing”, or very little, would not. So it is really a matter of how high a value an individual might place on a given activity, and the actual real value of the item being asked in return.

I am a paying customer, who even occasionally buys gems for real world $$, for no other reason than just because I enjoy playing the game. The next time I am in my local Target store, and I reach for a Guild Wars 2 Gem Card on the shelf, I will stop and think first. Will I think “I missed out on that Beta, and got banned for no real reason, and could lose all access to GW2 at any time on a whim, and all I had done would be lost, and no one seemed to care, should I buy these gems ?” Or will I think, “Wow, I had problems, but they all got cleared up quickly, and they took care of me, and made it all right, and today I want more gems to add two more character slots!”.

Now what was asked in return ? What is a Legendary Weapon? A string of ones and zeros assigned to my account, that in some circumstances, causes specials animations to be displayed in the user’s client, to make the user feel happy about themselves and playing the game.

I don’t believe a string of in-game ones and zeros versus the happiness of real world customers and their spending dollars is that unreasonable a request. Nor was it my only request, nor necessarily was it the true intent of my request. A discussion about whether there actually was an issue, whether it needs to be addressed, and what is appropriate level of response will be, is fine.

But thank you, I do appreciate to see how others view the game, and I am happy that I can post my thoughts and receive feedback..

you need to look at it this way… a legendary is roughly 4-500 dollars to buy using gems… was access to the BETA worth 4-500 dollars… hardly. at most I would consider asking for an ascended chest for one piece of equipment of my choice, and thats a BIIIIIIIIG maybe. To me the loss of access might be worth an exotic or 2… at most. And lets examine the paying customer cliche here… you paid 50-60 for the game… got countless hours of entertainment well above and beyond 60 dollars worth. the fact you bought gems does account for something, but not a legendary, which is why I included an ascended chest in the mix at the high end of the scale.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I want compensation for reading this thread.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

^LOL

/15 char.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

Beta testing is a time for testing bugs, apparently you experienced the I cannot get into beta bug, thanks for your beta testing feedback.

Posted by: Nephziel.6053

Nephziel.6053

+1

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

I got compensated for reading this thread, in the form of laughter.

Weirwynn.2390

Although I hate these threads where people act like SW is a lot of work and effort, you literally just afk until certain events and get lucky with RNG.

If that’s how you’re playing SW… you’re wasting your time, honestly. If anyone spent their week idling for mediocre rewards, then I wouldn’t be surprised if they never got a portal.

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

Our first beta test used a very small group of players chosen at random from people who subscribe to our newsletter. Our current test uses this method as well as the “Portal to the Heart of Maguuma,” an in-game item which had a chance to drop from enemies in Dry Top and the Silverwastes. Players who found this item are guaranteed a spot in the current closed beta test! Signing up for the newsletter is not required to access the beta test if you received one of these items. However, to get beta schedules, instructions on how to access the test, or any other beta-related information, you still need to sign up for the newsletter. Make sure you sign up using the same e-mail address that you use for your game account.

You must not’ve read the op’s post, because he SAID he got the portal drop.

Just a flesh wound.3589

I don’t think Incupatus was responding to the OP but in response to another poster who was arguing about what was needed to get an invitation, who has since deleted his posts (you can read what he said in quoted posts though).

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I don’t think Incupatus was responding to the OP but in response to another poster who was arguing about what was needed to get an invitation, who has since deleted his posts (you can read what he said in quoted posts though).

Indeed.

Posted by: cocowoushi.7150

cocowoushi.7150

Compensation = Access to next Closed Beta. That’s it.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I got compensated for reading this thread, in the form of laughter.

Ah shoot … I knew I forgot to do something after reading this thread. Unfortunately I was too busy crying and losing faith in humanity.

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

Every time I ask for a raise my boss tells me “A job well done is its only reward.” Seems like that applies here.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

I wantdemand a legendary because I responded to this thread.

Posted by: CodeHavoc.7926

CodeHavoc.7926

Not saying Anet doesnt owe you anything for grinding to get that portal, but a Precursor much a Legendary is a bit much. How about an ascended jewelry piece, since they already hand those like candy nowadays.

Necro Jesus is a thing apparently
The Zerker Bunker meta is the biggest bug in the game

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

Not saying Anet doesnt owe you anything for grinding to get that portal, but a Precursor much a Legendary is a bit much. How about an ascended jewelry piece, since they already hand those like candy nowadays.

Please stop suggesting he should be given something xD

Just a flesh wound.3589

Please stop suggesting he should be given something xD

Yeah. There is literally no reason for someone to be given extra compensation for a bug. Certainly not given unique ingame items like ascended jewelry or a Legendary chest. If they start handing out compensation for bugs, people would start demanding them for all the bugs they encountered.

OP’s request for ingame compensation for a bug is unrealistic in the extreme, not only for asking but what he is asking for. At most, ANet should offer the people who got this bug an invitation to the next beta but certainly nothing in game. That’s ridiculous.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Let’s be perfectly clear here. The OP is in no worse situation that all the people that farmed for the same time and didn’t get the drop. If he were to be compensated (which i’m not advocating) everyone else should be as well. And we all know how “good” idea would that be.

Now, if we were to discuss if that level of farm as an entry to beta was a good idea in the first place…

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November