in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

Look at FB picture. Can it be true? :P

Playable Centaurs!!

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Harhar, doubt it, looks druidy to me…but this should be interesting, no matter what it is

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Playable Centaurs!!

Posted by: Kaiden Valor.7163

Kaiden Valor.7163

It’s likely Revenant related as Ventari was datamined as a legend and the quote seems to suggest Ventari.

Playable Centaurs!!

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

It can also be druid specialization or Ventari legend for Revenant
edit: yep, Kaiden Valor is probably right

Playable Centaurs!!

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

I’ve got two guesses:

• Druid reveal
  • Ventari channel reveal for the Revenant.

Edit: Ninja’d by Mortifer and Kaiden >.<

Attachments:

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Playable Centaurs!!

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

Centaurs do not work as a playable race for a variety of reasons (skill animations, emotes, armors, swimming, jumping, lore). Besides, Anet already confirmed there will not be a new playable race this expansion.

More than likely it is either the Druid or the elite specialization of the Revenant (channeling Ventari).

Playable Centaurs!!

Posted by: Coedeax.2567

Coedeax.2567

My guess is it is either the rev’s specialization (ventari)….or something else relating to the ventari. I don’t see them releasing the rev’s spec before we even know about their base stuff

It could also possibly be the Druid, but that doesn’t really seem likely.

https://twitter.com/GuildWars2/status/605403864838348800

>.< curse you! got it in before me!

It’s not FAIR!

Playable Centaurs!!

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

“Life can be painful, but do not fear the trials you will face. Hard ground makes stronger roots.” IS a Ventari quote. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ventari

So I’m guessing we’re getting Revenant related info this week.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Playable Centaurs!!

Posted by: Stitch.1794

Stitch.1794

I’ve got two guesses:

• Druid reveal
  • Ventari channel reveal for the Revenant.

Edit: Ninja’d by Mortifer and Kaiden >.<

On twitter, the image came with a quote: “Life can be painful, but do not fear the trials you will face. Hard ground makes stronger roots.”

That makes me think more likely to be Ventari than druid.

Playable Centaurs!!

Posted by: steve.2945

steve.2945

If it was druid, it would be a ranger wielding a staff, not a centaur. this info is for revenant.

Proud TTS member

Playable Centaurs!!

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

It is Ventari, one of the Rev’s yet-to-be-revealed Legends.

It will also provide the Rev with much-needed mobility in combat.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Playable Centaurs!!

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

How do you know that? :O

Playable Centaurs!!

Dante.1763

Well, its a centuar for one thing, and everything related to Centuars in game is about speed…so if they keep up that theme…

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Playable Centaurs!!

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Well if Crowfall can have playable centaurs then so can GW2!
But I doubt they’ll suddenly pull a centaur playable race out of nowhere. They’d have announced it at PAX.
So yeah my proverbial-money is on Revenant Legend.

Playable Centaurs!!

DiogoSilva.7089

Well, its a centuar for one thing, and everything related to Centuars in game is about speed…so if they keep up that theme…

I’m thinking more about a supportive legend, considering Ventari’s peaceful ideals. However, that does not excludes swiftness at all.

Playable Centaurs!!

Dante.1763

I’m thinking more about a supportive legend, considering Ventari’s peaceful ideals. However, that does not excludes swiftness at all.

Exactly! Hopefully has a few charge skills as well! And now we the waiting game begins T.T

Playable Centaurs!!

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

I don’t think it is specialization related.

“Life can be painful, but do not fear the trials you will face. Hard ground makes stronger roots.”
Makes me think about the “Challenging content”

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Playable Centaurs!!

CureForLiving.5360

I don’t think it is specialization related.

“Life can be painful, but do not fear the trials you will face. Hard ground makes stronger roots.”
Makes me think about the “Challenging content”

I’d honestly be all for Challenging Content. Revenant is nice, but not really at the top of my lists of things I want to know.

Playable Centaurs!!

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Someone already pointed out that the ‘life can be painful’ quote is from Ventaris tablet, so odds are very high to be Revenant related

Playable Centaurs!!

Posted by: Kaiden Valor.7163

Kaiden Valor.7163

It would be very weird for them to use Ventari as a teaser for challenging content, even if people feel the quote loosely sounds like it might be related.

Playable Centaurs!!

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Look how he controlling the roots. Clearly ventari was a dragon.

Playable Centaurs!!

Posted by: DarkOcean.8746

DarkOcean.8746

Obviously Centaur lore week.

Playable Centaurs!!

Posted by: Treetoptrickster.4205

Treetoptrickster.4205

I’m thinking it might be two things. It’s definitely something to do with Ventari, what with the quote and all. I’m 99% sure that we’re learning about the Great Centaur stance for the Revenant this week but we might also get the Druid. Ventari and the whole Druid theme go hand in hand and also Gw2 said “Who said anything about Druid?” in the comments WITH A WINKY FACE AFTERWARDS. WOAH. If they wanted to rule out Druid they’d probably just say no but the winky face after might mean Druid later this week or if not, soon. Maybe Druid will be a surprise reveal on Thursday. If we got to see a teaser image we’d know right away what it is. It’s a possibility that they’ll just drop Druid on us or have a proper reveal next week. I dunno though, 1 healing skill, 3 utility skills and one elite plus possibly a new trait line for the Revenant won’t make for much of a reveal by itself.

Playable Centaurs!!

Posted by: dietzero.3514

dietzero.3514

Pretty sure I could outrun a Centaur.

Playable Centaurs!!

Posted by: MaXi.3642

MaXi.3642

Look how he controlling the roots. Clearly ventari was a dragon.

or he was a druid, which is more likely imo…

Playable Centaurs!!

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Or he’s the mentor of the Pale Tree, which would, you know, actually be what the lore says. I don’t see nearly enough thorns on those vines for them to be anything but the nicey-plants.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Playable Centaurs!!

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

I do not think it will be about Druid or Revenant, because so far all the reveals have been a picture clearly dipicting a playable race as that profession/elite spec.

Because of that I think it is something different, and judging by the quote I think we will be getting some information about Anet’s plans for adding challenging content in HoT.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Playable Centaurs!!

DiogoSilva.7089

I do not think it will be about Druid or Revenant, because so far all the reveals have been a picture clearly dipicting a playable race as that profession/elite spec.

Because of that I think it is something different, and judging by the quote I think we will be getting some information about Anet’s plans for adding challenging content in HoT.

The artwork depicting playable races has been a trend for elite specs only, and I don’t think they will reveal revenant’s elite spec before revealing more detais about its base skills. Besides, Ventari was datamined to be one of revenant’s legends, anet’s revenant designer has been hyping up this news in his twitter as well, and ultimately, I don’t think Anet would introduce epic, challenging content with a teaser of a pacifist like Ventari.

The quote hints as much to trials as it does to supportive gameplay. It can go both ways.

Playable Centaurs!!

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

But I doubt they’ll suddenly pull a centaur playable race out of nowhere. They’d have announced it at PAX.

I would really like for you to try and imagine a centaur thief doing a death blossom…

Playable Centaurs!!

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

I would really like for you to try and imagine a centaur thief doing a death blossom…

I just imagined it. And it was kitten cool. Blades flashing, hooves striking. Awesome.

The table is a fable.

Playable Centaurs!!

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

I just imagined it. And it was kitten cool. Blades flashing, hooves striking. Awesome.

It would only shatter a few vertebrae every time they land; no biggie.

Playable Centaurs!!

Dante.1763

It would only shatter a few vertebrae every time they land; no biggie.

Among other things too

Playable Centaurs!!

Tachenon.5270

Guys. In this game we pretend to be cows in order to train cows to fight predators. We swim while wearing heavy plate armor. We will soon be gliding — through the jungle! No need to watch out for that tree.

I don’t think centaur thieves doing death blossoms is too much of a stretch.

Now. Do you? Really?

The table is a fable.

Playable Centaurs!!

MiniEquine.6014

Guys. In this game we pretend to be cows in order to train cows to fight predators. We swim while wearing heavy plate armor. We will soon be gliding — through the jungle! No need to watch out for that tree.

Now. Do you? Really?

I think the animations for it would be incredibly difficult for the design team to implement. Aside from that, Centaurs fall into the same problem that Skritt, Quaggan, and Grawl do; they have little to no variation in combat professions. Centaurs are either archers, trampling melee guys, or shaman-type things, but never anything but the tribal archetype professions.

It would be really cool, but I think they would much sooner make something like the Quaggan a playable race than the Centaurs because of the additional work needed.

Edit: It would also be pretty funny to have their swiftness make them say something like “I’m faster than a human!”.

Playable Centaurs!!

Dante.1763

Now. Do you? Really?

Yes. Among reasons why they wouldnt work as a playable race.

Playable Centaurs!!

Diovid.9506

Now. Do you? Really?

It’s not about the lore/immersion, it’s about the animations/programming/artwork needed to make all skins, skill animations, emotes, jumping, swimming and so on work on a non-bipedal creature.

(edited by Diovid.9506)

Playable Centaurs!!

Tachenon.5270

Now. Do you? Really?

But it’s okay that the tiny little necks of asura hold up those big huge heads, and don’t snap like twigs when subjected to inertia. And that sylvari, despite being plants, aren’t appreciably different from mammals in any way. Or that charr, despite being covered with fur, still wear clothing even when not in cold climes, and that so many of them have teeth that would make eating an exercise in not slicing off one’s lips.

That stuff gets pass, but a centaur doing flips? Oh, no, that’s right out.

Yeah.

The table is a fable.

Playable Centaurs!!

CureForLiving.5360

Now. Do you? Really?

It’s not about the lore/immersion, it’s about the animations/programming/artwork needed to make all skins, skill animations, emotes, jumping, swimming and so on work on a non-bipedal creature.

Helms, shoulder, gloves and chest are pretty much the same (although centaurs do have horse faces… but then just copy the Charr stuff I guess). The legs can basically just become some sort of saddle / cover over the horse-parts back (I don’t know horses very well…) and the shoes would just cover all four legs.
Or I guess the chest could be the cover both the human chest and horse back and the legs could cover the four legs (like stock-type thing).
The possibilities are endless!

Still that death blossom XD

Playable Centaurs!!

Dante.1763

This is the extra stuff i was referring to Tachenon.

And yes, horses doing flips is right out, condescending tone, mind it, it otherwise conversations wont go anywhere, like this one. Im not even going to respond to you, with that, im out, have a good day sir and or madam whichever you happen to be.

Playable Centaurs!!

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Now. Do you? Really?

But it’s okay that the tiny little necks of asura hold up those big huge heads, and don’t snap like twigs when subjected to inertia. And that sylvari, despite being plants, aren’t appreciably different from mammals in any way. Or that charr, despite being covered with fur, still wear clothing even when not in cold climes, and that so many of them have teeth that would make eating an exercise in not slicing off one’s lips.

That stuff gets pass, but a centaur doing flips? Oh, no, that’s right out.

Yeah.

Don’t worry about him, some people just like to be doomsayers. New is bad, creativity is bad, innovation is a mistake, everything is impossible, nothing will work, simply because they are uncreative and averse to change. Just try even off-handedly insinuating mounts would function to any degree and you’ll see hundreds of them flood any thread in mere seconds.

That said, we still know we aren’t getting centaurs, not because we couldn’t or its a bad idea, but because the developers stated there would be no new races in the expansion. I’d wager people are blowing this whole preview image out of proportion and all we are getting is a lore week on the Maguuma Centaurs, similar to the previous lore week where we got information on the Maguuma Hylek.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Playable Centaurs!!

Dante.1763

Don’t worry about him, some people just like to be doomsayers. New is bad, creativity is bad, everything is impossible, nothing will work, simply because they are closed minded and averse to change. Even insinuate mounts would function to any degree and you’ll quickly see the GW2 forums are flooded with such uncreative people.

That said, we still know we aren’t getting centaurs, not because we couldn’t or its a bad idea, but because the developers stated there would be no new races in the expansion. I’d wager people are blowing this whole preview image out of proportion and all we are getting is a lore week on the Maguuma Centaurs, similar to the previous lore week where we got information on the Maguuma Hylek.

You barked up the wrong tree with saying that kitten. You are talking to the person who the moment she saw Charr in GW1 wanted to play them. Has long wanted, and discussed having the Tengu as a playable race in GW2, has advocated many many new features, including the now poorly implemented trait changes, as well looking at the new trait changes and hoping they do it well because it looks good so far. Mind what you say when you dont know said person. Im all for them trying new things, so long as they do it right. Hell, ANET cant even get the armor fitting on the ONE beast race they already have in game, and its a bipedal race at that.

Playable Centaurs!!

Tachenon.5270

Now. Do you? Really?

Helms, shoulder, gloves and chest are pretty much the same (although centaurs do have horse faces… but then just copy the Charr stuff I guess). The legs can basically just become some sort of saddle / cover over the horse-parts back (I don’t know horses very well…) and the legs would just cover all four legs.
Or I guess the chest could be the cover both the human chest and horse back and the legs could cover the four legs (like stock-type thing).
The possibilities are endless!

Still that death blossom XD

Head, shoulders, chest — just like humans.

Leggings — some sort of barding across the back and rump, doesn’t have to be particularly elaborate, maybe just a blanket with some metal rings or even plates, since weight is not a concern; maybe throw on a few spikes to discourage wanna be riders.

Boots — yeah, basically like socks. With some fancy-dancy jingly jangly odds and ends for show.

And that death blossom — a thing of beauty!

And just think of the possible racial skills…

The table is a fable.

Playable Centaurs!!

Tachenon.5270

And yes, horses doing flips is right out, condescending tone, mind it, it otherwise conversations wont go anywhere, like this one. Im not even going to respond to you, with that, im out, have a good day sir and or madam whichever you happen to be.

They’re not horses. They’re centaurs. Things which could not possibly exist anyway, so saying that they can’t do impossible things is, well, kinda silly. Don’t you think?

That’s not being condescending, that’s stating what should be obvious.

The table is a fable.

Playable Centaurs!!

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

They’re not horses. They’re centaurs. Things which could not possibly exist anyway, so saying that they can’t do impossible things is, well, kinda silly. Don’t you think?

While I’m not against centaurs as a playable race, I highly doubt we’ll see it. They would need a lot of different animations for certain skills, like death blossom. I get that it’s a game and its fantasy, but Anet does tend to stick to a certain amount of realism. There is no way they would get the rump up over their heads in any comfortable (or believable) manner. Horses don’t move like that, and while yes, they are centaurs, their entire lower half is equine.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Playable Centaurs!!

MiniEquine.6014

I don’t think it’s silly at all, but not because impossible stuff is happening in a fantasy game with magic and dragons.

Try to look at it from the animation stand-point. How, exactly, does one animate a centaur doing a flip? It could only be some jerky, ragdoll-type, legs outstretched kind of thing that would be incredibly poor looking. The point too is not that impossible stuff happens compared to the Real World, but that impossible stuff within Tyria still doesn’t happen in Tyria. Centaurs, like horses, still remain mostly upright. If they dodge, it is a sidestep, not a roll. If they jump, it is a basic vertical leap and not a spin. Their body structure, even within the context of the game, just doesn’t allow them to make the movements required for a Death Blossom. DB isn’t the only issue here either. Pretty much any whirl attack would require some very fancy footwork, and it would clip with a lot of things.

Playable Centaurs!!

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Don’t worry about him, some people just like to be doomsayers. New is bad, creativity is bad, everything is impossible, nothing will work, simply because they are closed minded and averse to change. Even insinuate mounts would function to any degree and you’ll quickly see the GW2 forums are flooded with such uncreative people.

You barked up the wrong tree with saying that kitten. You are talking to the person who the moment she saw Charr in GW1 wanted to play them. Has long wanted, and discussed having the Tengu as a playable race in GW2, has advocated many many new features, including the now poorly implemented trait changes, as well looking at the new trait changes and hoping they do it well because it looks good so far. Mind what you say when you dont know said person. Im all for them trying new things, so long as they do it right. Hell, ANET cant even get the armor fitting on the ONE beast race they already have in game, and its a bipedal race at that.

And you just proved my point, not about you being a doomsayer (that wasn’t my point in the first place), but about your comment that ‘Centaur are impossible’. People said in GW1 that the Charr were impossible, obviously they were wrong. Your point that the centaur are impossible is just as unfounded, being nothing more than your own assumption based on your lack of knowledge of the game systems.

Essentially you’ve presented the argument:

“It can’t work, because I personally do not know how it could.”

Which is completely nonsensical. Inability to provide evidence that something could work is not proof that it can’t.

There are few things that the developers cannot get to work in such a broad system as is present in a large scale MMO, and Centaurs as a race are not one of them. Sweeping generalizations against new content such as the one you posted earlier are completely worthless as points of discussion.

Playable Centaurs!!

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

The animation is no problem.
If Charr have issues with armor clipping, imagine a Centaur.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Playable Centaurs!!

CureForLiving.5360

I don’t think it’s silly at all, but not because impossible stuff is happening in a fantasy game with magic and dragons.

Try to look at it from the animation stand-point. How, exactly, does one animate a centaur doing a flip? It could only be some jerky, ragdoll-type, legs outstretched kind of thing that would be incredibly poor looking. The point too is not that impossible stuff happens compared to the Real World, but that impossible stuff within Tyria still doesn’t happen in Tyria. Centaurs, like horses, still remain mostly upright. If they dodge, it is a sidestep, not a roll. If they jump, it is a basic vertical leap and not a spin. Their body structure, even within the context of the game, just doesn’t allow them to make the movements required for a Death Blossom. DB isn’t the only issue here either. Pretty much any whirl attack would require some very fancy footwork, and it would clip with a lot of things.

Death blossom is basically just and air flip that spins and hits multiple enemies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHcNZUOAnb8
Why does the centaur have to go upside down? Why not simply leap through the enemies? And if he has to spin, well horses can do that while upright.

Playable Centaurs!!

Tachenon.5270

While I’m not against centaurs as a playable race, I highly doubt we’ll see it. They would need a lot of different animations for certain skills, like death blossom. I get that it’s a game and its fantasy, but Anet does tend to stick to a certain amount of realism. There is no way they would get the rump up over their heads in any comfortable (or believable) manner. Horses don’t move like that, and while yes, they are centaurs, their entire lower half is equine.

I disagree with Anet sticking to a certain amount of realism, or even to any amount of realism, for reasons cited previously in this thread. There are many, many more examples. Mount Maelstrom, for one — what could live in that big chamber full of lava? Nothing realistic.

A centaur performing acrobatics would be no more unrealistic or unbelievable than just about anything else in the game. Why would centaurs be able to do things horses can’t do? Because they also have human-like brains, and, like humans, they could train themselves to do things that otherwise might seem impossible.

If the animators can’t pull it off, that’s one thing. But saying it can’t be done because ‘centaurs can’t do that!’ is not a valid excuse.

The table is a fable.

Playable Centaurs!!

Diovid.9506

If the animators can’t pull it off, that’s one thing. But saying it can’t be done because ‘centaurs can’t do that!’ is not a valid excuse.

I imagine that it’s not that it can’t be done but that it would be a lot of work and then still look kinda awkward. It’s a costs/benefits thing (as is everything of course).