Proof that land spears are coming for HoT

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

All right, I got hold of the pictures of the shirt. It’s spread out on a towel on my bed, I cropped it down to just the image. The back side has the left sleeve folded over to show the text on the sleeve hem.

Attachments:

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Art team trolled us. Of course we mad. But let’s not feed the art team trolls…

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I did. It’s a spear, not a random line.

maybe this will help:

I especially like how you force the thing to fall in line so you can “prove” your point. But no. your box doesn’t follow the center of the sword. The line, if followed through would go toward the Charr’s feet. The sword if followed through point well above the line.

On top of that, no one, and I mean no one, would ever hold a spear like that. Especially not if they’re also using a shield. They gain no benefit from the half, especially not if it’s as long as you’re trying to claim. He’s holding it directly below the blade, you know, like you would with a sword, which is what it is.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Kal Spiro.9745

All right, I got hold of the pictures of the shirt. It’s spread out on a towel on my bed, I cropped it down to just the image. The back side has the left sleeve folded over to show the text on the sleeve hem.

That’s a much better image since you can actually see the pommel of the sword right behind his hand.

In this image the line of the sword actually points to below the arbitrary line behind him. It’s still not a spear.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist

(edited by Kal Spiro.9745)

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Right…. that line is just an accident * rolls eyes * . I mean the shirt is just covered in accidental lines…

Regardless, its just art, not a hint at things to come – spears have stat allocations as two handed weapons and even if we see terrestrial spears this year or next, they aren’t going to be 1-handed weapons.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Wolfheart.7483

Wolfheart.7483

Right…. that line is just an accident * rolls eyes * . I mean the shirt is just covered in accidental lines…

Regardless, its just art, not a hint at things to come – spears have stat allocations as two handed weapons and even if we see terrestrial spears this year or next, they aren’t going to be 1-handed weapons.

I am staying out of the argument surrounding the image….however, if they added spears on land, they could very easily be one handed. By the logic that underwater spears are two-handed so land spears must be, as well, would mean we could never have a two-handed axe, and either the sword or greatsword should be removed.

Just because one version of a weapon is two-handed doesn’t mean another one has to be.

Kal Spiro.9745

I didn’t say it was accidental, I just said it was arbitrary. It is not indicative of anything, and it is not for anything. ANet concept art is full of them.

Posted by: Seyta Hamon.8071

Seyta Hamon.8071

I didn’t want to jump into this topic… The trailer shows Rytlock wielding a staff in melee combat, watch it frame by frame and that is obvious. However, I found something very important… Rytlock has a Lionguard Polearm in his office in the black Citidel

Attachments:

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

Maybe the art team put spears in because they were trying to pressure the devs to actual make spears. :P :P

I think the only reasonable idea based on the “no new weapons” statements would be the one about some specializations bringing spears as their new land weapon.

But it sounds like Colin debunked that. Still though not a bad idea for future game enhancements.

Posted by: Jokubas.4265

Jokubas.4265

I still think the strongest evidence is this mysterious character, (E?!), we see in the ep 8 cinematic standing on top of a ledge, watching the pact fleet shattering into pieces, while wielding a spear. And it is a lot of npcs in that cinematic and the following easter egg one who are using spears I mean come on guys those are major hints, sure if they had spears hung up on some weapon racks that wouldn’t be such a big deal, but this time they are used for combat, and not only once.

I actually went through and counted when we were waiting for PAX. Between the two cutscenes and the patch wallpaper, there were 19 almost definite polearms. 12 of which I’d categorize as spears, 6 that were more like halberds, and 1 that really looked like a trident to me. And that was only the ones that you could see the tips of. There were tons more of poles being held in crowds or sticking out of bodies that really wouldn’t make sense to be staves. Frankly I was shocked that they weren’t announced. You don’t saturate a cutscene that much with a weapon that you can’t actually use in that context unless your artists really just think they look best in that situation. In which case, maybe you should think about adding them as their own full type. ;P

Posted by: A Massive Headache.1879

A Massive Headache.1879

Thank you, we can now see clearly that is a sword. Also, that does look like a cool shirt.

Posted by: BammBamm.6719

BammBamm.6719

you are aware that in hoelbrak loading screen are skyscrapers and mounts? artwork has nothing to do with the reality ingame

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

I didn’t want to jump into this topic… The trailer shows Rytlock wielding a staff in melee combat, watch it frame by frame and that is obvious. However, I found something very important… Rytlock has a Lionguard Polearm in his office in the black Citidel

he’s had that since launch though.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Posted by: Moldur.6275

Moldur.6275

There have been multiple interviews in which Colin stated that no new weapons are coming.

What if I told you: they are already in the game. Under water. When Colin talks about no new weapons coming to the game, he is being completely honest, he do not lie. But, he do preserve the secret until they are comfortable with revealing it.
You see if you look at the facts, making under-water spears available on land will do just that. It won’t be different as to rangers getting staffs. It will be an amphibian of a current, not a new weapon.

He said no new weapons, no land spears, no polearms. So no, they aren’t bringing it on land.

Where did he say “no land spears”?

Moldur.6275

Thank you. That is a spear (see his picture above)

Posted by: A Massive Headache.1879

A Massive Headache.1879

That is clearly a sword…
EDIT: that line looks like it has more to do with the shield, or armor or something, it doesn’t line up with the blade.

(edited by A Massive Headache.1879)

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

I still think the strongest evidence is this mysterious character, (E?!), we see in the ep 8 cinematic standing on top of a ledge, watching the pact fleet shattering into pieces, while wielding a spear. And it is a lot of npcs in that cinematic and the following easter egg one who are using spears I mean come on guys those are major hints, sure if they had spears hung up on some weapon racks that wouldn’t be such a big deal, but this time they are used for combat, and not only once.

I actually went through and counted when we were waiting for PAX. Between the two cutscenes and the patch wallpaper, there were 19 almost definite polearms. 12 of which I’d categorize as spears, 6 that were more like halberds, and 1 that really looked like a trident to me. And that was only the ones that you could see the tips of. There were tons more of poles being held in crowds or sticking out of bodies that really wouldn’t make sense to be staves. Frankly I was shocked that they weren’t announced. You don’t saturate a cutscene that much with a weapon that you can’t actually use in that context unless your artists really just think they look best in that situation. In which case, maybe you should think about adding them as their own full type. ;P

I don’t have the reference to hand, but there’s an interview somewhere where Colin was asked about these, and responded with something along the lines of “we warned the art team that people would draw conclusions based on it, but they wanted to do it anyway.”

The simple answer could be that polearms are like horses – they exist, but are not mechanically implemented.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

have you seen the amount of spears spread through the art for season 2 and HoT?

Lol.

Why not actually go back to the art that’s been in the GW2 since release? And probably a year or two before that.

There is plenty of spears/polearms in GW2 art. Hell, Claw Island is being attacked by an entire bloody spear wielding army. And it also have siege towers, interestingly enough.

Posted by: Malthurius.6870

Malthurius.6870

With as much polearm art there is in the game, merch, trailers, and cutscenes…. I’m starting to think that it isn’t the art team trolling… but maybe Colin is trolling us by claiming they’re not a thing… I mean… this is Colin we’re talking about; he’s practically a walking troll face.

Posted by: Nephziel.6053

Nephziel.6053

Everything is possible. They may or may not be added to the game. I don’t care. But making these proof post based on a shirt doesnt make it true. There is a lot of artwork that shows something that we dont have in game. Just google GW2 warrior artwork and you will get warrior wielding a 2 handed axe…

https://guildwars2.staticwars.com/wp-content/themes/guildwars2.com-live/img/professions/selector/warrior-on.84176952.png

Kal Spiro.9745

That is clearly a sword…
EDIT: that line looks like it has more to do with the shield, or armor or something, it doesn’t line up with the blade.

Thank you, at least someone else can actually follow the lines

Posted by: sage.8721

sage.8721

meh… I have the same T-shirt… It was available on the Guild Wars website ’s during Guild Wars 1… It has nothing to do with Guild Wars 2 or Heart of Thorns…

Posted by: nickcosta.8256

nickcosta.8256

Much, MUCH disappoint for no polearms/ land-Spears
</3 :’(

Gandara (TAC)
15chars

Posted by: aktharr.2389

aktharr.2389

if Colin said that there are gonna be no new weapons then there is gonna be no new weapons. the gw2 development team have kept their promises before and they are gonna keep it now.

~that one Guild Wars Fan——played since beta—-leader of A.D.D. Industries

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Thank you, we can now see clearly that is a sword. Also, that does look like a cool shirt.

It is an excellent shirt. Alas, when I bought it I was flat stomached but in the past few years middle age suddenly noticed me and now I have enough tummy bulge to make the charr curve out over it. Sadness. (I’m not calling myself fat — I’m pretty much still at a good weight for my height and my arms and legs remain thin — I just have a mass distribution that fills clothes out in less optimal fashion now).

I’ve done some scratch art in the past. It’s rather unforgiving if you scrape the black off somewhere you didn’t mean to. I’d say only the artist could tell us what that line was meant to be, as it is quite ambiguous whether it belongs to the shield or an extension of the blade hilt. However, I will lean to the “it’s a sword” camp because one does not typically hold a spear up near the blade and having the weapon held vertically with the butt on the ground would have worked better for the image, if it was a polearm.

Posted by: Trock Bronze.9625

Trock Bronze.9625

There have been multiple interviews in which Colin stated that no new weapons are coming.

What if I told you: they are already in the game. Under water. When Colin talks about no new weapons coming to the game, he is being completely honest, he do not lie. But, he do preserve the secret until they are comfortable with revealing it.
You see if you look at the facts, making under-water spears available on land will do just that. It won’t be different as to rangers getting staffs. It will be an amphibian of a current, not a new weapon.

He said no new weapons, no land spears, no polearms. So no, they aren’t bringing it on land.

Where did he say “no land spears”?

One of the interviews they said no spears/polearms, if you want to play the word game and say because he didnt specifically say land spears fine, but you are fooling yourself. I dont have a link to the exact one because I am uncertain which interview, I thought it was the Juicy one but apparently not, thing is it has been said already, no.

Posted by: Trock Bronze.9625

Trock Bronze.9625

The Lionguard polearm is a spear skin for underwater.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I think all the art for spears and the one in Rytlock’s office just show that ANet is aware of the concept of a sharp thing on a stick. Likely they were considered as a weapon type at some point, but scrapped (just as the Tengu were), so there’s plenty of stuff that seems to support the idea but no carry through.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Moldur.6275

I do not care if the T-shirt was made for GW1, the point is he wore it now. Also a lot of you should read my post about the “line” you are denying to be part of a spear, it is in this thread and I explain exactly why it doesn’t point exactly towards the blade.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/professions/
See that warrior with a 2h axe? Axes are already in the game, adding it two handed wouldn’t officially add a “new” weapon if you count an “axe” as exactly that, an axe.
Saw that guardian and warrior with spears underwater? Spears would not be a new weapon either, be it on land, 1h or 2h.

As much as spears are polearms, scepters are staffs. If you were to keep something hidden for a little while longer, wouldn’t you dodge such a vague question as to if polearms are to be added or not by simply saying no? It is a matter of definition and all doors are still open, yet subject to closure. I am not confirming one or the other, my point has always been that although we are not 100% sure if it is true or not, there is yet a chance.

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

That is clearly a sword…

Lol that is clearly a polearm weapon. You can even see the shaft under his arm and his hand wrapping around so the fingers curl under to support the weight of the weapon head.

I can understand trying to control the hype, but the fact that it’s a Guild Wars shirt and not a Guild Wars 2 shirt does that already.

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

Alright, so I just wanted to mess up the idea that the polearm in the trailer was a reskinned hammer. So, I took a screenshot off of a youtube video that showed this picture decently. The sylvari next to Rytlock has a hammer on her back, but her hammer is stowed in the opposite direction from Rytlock’s polearm. Now, I don’t know if all charr hammers are stowed in that direction because I don’t have any charr to compare that with, but if this isn’t the case, then wouldn’t it be pretty weird that he has it stowed the other way around?

Attachments:

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Alright, so I just wanted to mess up the idea that the polearm in the trailer was a reskinned hammer. So, I took a screenshot off of a youtube video that showed this picture decently. The sylvari next to Rytlock has a hammer on her back, but her hammer is stowed in the opposite direction from Rytlock’s polearm. Now, I don’t know if all charr hammers are stowed in that direction because I don’t have any charr to compare that with, but if this isn’t the case, then wouldn’t it be pretty weird that he has it stowed the other way around?

Here you go.

Attachments:

Moldur.6275

Afaik, all hammers put away has the “head” on the left shoulder, so that guy to the left in your picture is really suspicious. Btw, is it just me or is that “hammer” looking a little too sharp?

Posted by: Thiagugu.9682

Thiagugu.9682

It was confirmed that there would be NO SPEARS ABOVE LAND. I repeat, NO SPEARS.

“Don’t be discouraged, darling. You can’t help being inferior.”

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

That was an unexpected twist. So the weirdo is the one on the left…

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

Just wanted to hop in and say that the spear looking wep in trailer Rytlock using is a hammer. He uses it as a blunt weapon. On top of that you can make charr warrior and watch the aa animations with hammer.

Posted by: Malthurius.6870

Malthurius.6870

No, it was confirmed that there would be no polearms… which is the same thing granted, but the wording was more broad than specifically no land spears.

Moldur.6275

If you interact with that polearm, you will notice the following, also found @ this wiki link:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Lionguard_Polearm
“The polearm has seen a lot of action, but there’s a thick layer of dust on it.
—> Examine the weapon more closely.
Beneath the dust, there is a small inscription: “To the Winners of the 1320 Wintersday Tournament: Destiny’s Edge. Last contestants standing: Rytlock Brimstone & Garm the wolf.”"

So what we can see here is a polearm won by Rytlock, and frequently used by Rytlock. Now Rytlock comes back into action with a new profession, and would it surprise you if I said that dust is soon to be blown away? Guys this is proof Rytlock is proficient with that exact weapon and has been for a very long time. Wouldn’t now be the right time to put that experience into good use?

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

It just sucks to not having spears in land!!! I mean, WHY NOT?!
Been wanted land-spears every since Beta... urgh,

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

Posted by: Myxam.2790

Myxam.2790

Moldur.6275

You just lost the famous last words. Get some real arguments next time, providing more spear concepts doesn’t put the topic off the table.

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

Perhaps they’ve made spear skins usable on staves.

Or they’ve made spear-like staves.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Kal Spiro.9745

No, it was confirmed that there would be no polearms… which is the same thing granted, but the wording was more broad than specifically no land spears.

Polearms and Spears are the same weapon. The weapon type you are calling Spear is labeled Polearm in the game.

Kal Spiro.9745

If you interact with that polearm, you will notice the following, also found @ this wiki link:
Beneath the dust, there is a small inscription: “To the Winners of the 1320 Wintersday Tournament: Destiny’s Edge. Last contestants standing: Rytlock Brimstone & Garm the wolf.”"

So what we can see here is a polearm won by Rytlock, and frequently used by Rytlock. Now Rytlock comes back into action with a new profession, and would it surprise you if I said that dust is soon to be blown away? Guys this is proof Rytlock is proficient with that exact weapon and has been for a very long time. Wouldn’t now be the right time to put that experience into good use?

This has ALWAYS been here. It’s not new. It’s not something they recently added in anticipation of HoT. Always. Just like that shirt is from the original GW, this is from the origin of GW2.

Kal Spiro.9745

You just lost the famous last words. Get some real arguments next time, providing more spear concepts doesn’t put the topic off the table.

You mean like the evidence that HAS been provided where they specifically stated it wasn’t happening? That evidence? That irrefutable evidence? It doesn’t apparently work, because you keep arguing with insubstantial dust to back you up. How about, since you’re the one arguing the thing that’s not true, YOU try some actual evidence. You back up your belief with something substantial?

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

It is not a spear but rather a staff. Who needs a magic-staff when you can use it to smack people with.

Moldur.6275

Polearms and Spears are the same weapon. The weapon type you are calling Spear is labeled Polearm in the game.

The weapon type I am calling Spear is labeled Spear in the game.

Moldur.6275

This has ALWAYS been here. It’s not new. It’s not something they recently added in anticipation of HoT. Always. Just like that shirt is from the original GW, this is from the origin of GW2.

You don’t see the point, do you? It was put there from the beginning because it was planned from the beginning.
Even you should be familiar with the sylvari plans made before release by now, same idea goes here: long term plans eventually put into action.

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

Someone will end up being disappointed. Leave that guy in his own dreams.

Moldur.6275

You mean like the evidence that HAS been provided where they specifically stated it wasn’t happening? That evidence? That irrefutable evidence? It doesn’t apparently work, because you keep arguing with insubstantial dust to back you up. How about, since you’re the one arguing the thing that’s not true, YOU try some actual evidence. You back up your belief with something substantial?

This thread is filled with evidence, you just choose to neglect them. Do you really think we would have this volume of hints (yea keep on calling them coincidences they sure are…) if they had no plans for the spear whatsoever? In that case the spear is a minor loss in comparison to this hinting false advertising.