Questions about Pricing and Payment [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I don’t care. I have a credit card with nothing on it. So I’m sure I can afford it if I don’t have the cash to hand.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: pandorasbox.6340

pandorasbox.6340

The base game was $60 at launch, the special editions $80 to $100. Normally in a standard printing model an expansion is $40 with a special at $60. Based off what is being sold now, it sound more like $20 and $40.

Posted by: Osculim.2983

Osculim.2983

To the dude that says gold – gems is not profit it is. The cash have already been generated its like having a investor give you money upfront to do something later. So if Anet use that money for something else its not anyones concern but Anet’s. I for one would like to see it in the gemstore. Unlike most folks im one of those poor gamers money is extremely tight. I do however agee that it would cause major gem price issues. So maby wait a month or 2 after release.

Posted by: Feothyr.6072

Feothyr.6072

The base game was $60 at launch, the special editions $80 to $100. Normally in a standard printing model an expansion is $40 with a special at $60. Based off what is being sold now, it sound more like $20 and $40.

The collector’s edition was 150€.

I’ll probably end up buying the expansion pack no matter what, so I don’t really care how much it’s going to cost. That being said, I do hope it’s not more than 50€. We’re talking about an expansion after all – not a stand-alone campaign like back in Guild Wars 1.

Goroth – Necro | Valea – Mesmer
Naneth – Guardian | Brannoc Oakbark – Ranger
Is all that we see or seem just a dream within a dream?

Posted by: SyllyReth.2495

SyllyReth.2495

Depending on the expanded information about the content we are supposed to be getting between now and the release of said expansion, I might be willing to pay as much as $60. I typically like to get the special or limited editions (if offered) of games I love, so I factor that into the price I am willing to pay, as well, considering what extras might be offered for that option.

It’s all going to depend on what the next few weeks bring in terms of answering any questions we may have about the expansion.

Unbridled Dynasty [UND]

Posted by: Snow.2048

Snow.2048

Maximum 20 euro, if I would buy it at all. I’ll probably just wait for it to go on sale so I could read the reviews and actually see what they make of it before buying.

Posted by: Assassin.7890

Assassin.7890

It is rediculous how people here in the forums are expecting the most possible for no or very little money. Have you ever estimated how many employees they have, what the servers cost, how many people have to make a living of that product?

I can not support the philosophy of costiveness.
I payed 50 bucks back when the game got released and got a wonderful, content-rich, well balanced, well maintained product.
Therefore, I think it is more then fair to set a certain price which ensures the game experience will be kept up in the future too.

In the end, you pay more money for new content – so?
It sure can range between 15-50 usd, but in this range, it still would be justified.
I support their strategy, I love the game and I think it is more then fair to pay a certain price for NEW content (only if you like it). All the details will emerge soon so keep calm and carry on in the borderlands!

Posted by: steveway.3167

steveway.3167

I would pay $30 or so for the standard edition of the expansion and more for a collectors depending on what is included.

Posted by: Blackbeard.4356

Blackbeard.4356

It shouldn’t cost more then original game !

Posted by: Grace.6074

Grace.6074

Please don’t make this too expensive. I could deal with $30, and I’d even go so high as $40 but more than that is just too much for what we’re getting. It’s not a full game, it’s just an expansion and the content is not as much as the original game.

Making us pay $60 for it would just be greedy. I want to keep playing but I’m not sure I could justify that price if it ends up costing that much.

Aerre – Sylvari Elementalist
Necro/Warrior/Ranger/Mesmer/Guardian
HoD – PHZE

Posted by: Noviere.7309

Noviere.7309

$30-40 seems reasonable for an expansion.

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

To the dude that says gold – gems is not profit it is. The cash have already been generated its like having a investor give you money upfront to do something later. So if Anet use that money for something else its not anyones concern but Anet’s. I for one would like to see it in the gemstore. Unlike most folks im one of those poor gamers money is extremely tight. I do however agee that it would cause major gem price issues. So maby wait a month or 2 after release.

Assuming I am the dude…

Please explain how a player using Tyiran gold to purchase gems generates income. That is lost revenue that can only be recouped by players purchasing gems to exchange for gold. The gem exchange as a whole is only profitable if the number of gems bought with real money to convert into gold exceeds the number of gems purchased with gold that would have been purchased with real money instead (not everyone who used gold to buy gems would have used real money instead). Theoretically, the gem exchange as a whole could cost Arenanet revenue.

Investors expect to be repaid, the gem exchange is nothing like an investor.

I am not trying to tell Arenanet or other players how to behave, just trying to describe the realities involved.

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

Posted by: pandorasbox.6340

pandorasbox.6340

The collector’s edition was 150€.

I’ll probably end up buying the expansion pack no matter what, so I don’t really care how much it’s going to cost. That being said, I do hope it’s not more than 50€. We’re talking about an expansion after all – not a stand-alone campaign like back in Guild Wars 1.

I am not good at math sadly, so I do not know the USD to EURO equation. As far as I know, the limited boxed edition was offered at my local GameStop for $100 USD. I saw the price tag.

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

I would easily pay anywhere between 20-40$ (or euros, as it would be in my case we all know how the conversion goes there :P).

Without knowing more information about the PvE content it is hard to put an exact value on it.

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

God people are so cheap. -_- It certainly isn’t going to be $20 people.

It better be less based on the anemic content.

No, it’s obviously going to be more. And I don’t get why you think it’s “anemic” content. New zones, new class, new specializations, challenging group content (still unknown though), revamp of WvW and a new map, new PvP mode, Guild Halls. These are all expansion type content.

Have people not bought expansions for other games before? They typically cost the same as a normal game.

Stop being so kitten cheap people. There is no sub here.

Posted by: Raiff.6742

Raiff.6742

How is this expansion “Bare bones”? They are rewritting the Mastery system, adding a profession, adding an entire new zone, adding new weapon skills to each prof., bringing in a new mode of travel, new races, new monsters, and Guild Halls. And that’s just the top soil of this fertile new ground. There is nothing “Bare bones” about all this.

$50.00, that’s my guess.

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

How is this expansion “Bare bones”? They are rewritting the Mastery system, adding a profession, adding an entire new zone, adding new weapon skills to each prof., bringing in a new mode of travel, new races, new monsters, and Guild Halls. And that’s just the top soil of this fertile new ground. There is nothing “Bare bones” about all this.

$50.00, that’s my guess.

Agreed. If they follow previous patterns, not everything will be locked away behind the expansion. They may not even lock the new map(s) and still be able to participate in living world stuff, but you probably won’t get the new profession, masteries or specialization. I also don’t think they’d lock guild halls, even with previous guild hall additions in the original, you could still access new halls if the leader bought it. I’d also assume “raid-like” content, you don’t hire a raid designer and not intend to build something similar. We only know the “big” features, not the individual “smaller” content updates. I’d assume with the expansion, they’d also give you a slot, which they’ve done in the past when they’ve added new professions, bringing the price down to $40. I can almost guarantee that WvW maps changed or added won’t be locked away either.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

When I said full price I thought they would announce a big expansion like GW1.

With the size of this thing being 1 profession, 1 region… significantly less than the base game at any rate.

$20 is reasonable, but up to $30 seems reasonable.

(edited by TurtleofPower.5641)

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

For what it is, at least based on what we’ve been told, 20-30 is actually fairly reasonable. That being said it’s more likely to be in the $30 range. Any more and you’d be better off waiting for the inevitable 50% off sale.

(edited by Celestina.2894)

Posted by: ugdup.2371

ugdup.2371

Tbh, i couldn’t care less about what it costs.

GW2 has given me a ton of hours of fun for a few lousy bucks, and i’d be glad to pay full price for even more of this stuff.

Maybe you could skip that nice dinner in that restaurant, and buy HoT instead.
I know i will.

Posted by: Erlene.2139

Erlene.2139

20-30€ would be insta-buy for me. If it’s more I’ll have to think more about it.

That seems about right. I wonder if there are any stuff in the expansion that wasn’t mentioned yet?

Posted by: thejoedude.3465

thejoedude.3465

Tbh i would pay up to $60, the cost i paid for the game, if it brough all of maguuma out to explore

Posted by: Mazreal Blackknight.1564

Mazreal Blackknight.1564

I paid 70$ or so for my copy of GW2, I also bought one for my hubby and my son. Neither of them really play much. So since I am the only one who really plays I am not worried over the price. I have had the most fun just playing this game.

Posted by: ckotoc.5421

ckotoc.5421

30-45 euros for a physical copy would be a reasonable price for me.

Posted by: Kirnale.5914

Kirnale.5914

0-45€ more is too much for an expansion, less is good for me

Posted by: Feothyr.6072

Feothyr.6072

I am not good at math sadly, so I do not know the USD to EURO equation. As far as I know, the limited boxed edition was offered at my local GameStop for $100 USD. I saw the price tag.

Pretty sure it was the same in $ Prices in most of Europe (if not all) include taxes, so 150€ is exactly what I had to pay. If I’m not mistaken, prices in the US never include taxes, so you’d have to add VAT to those 150$.

150€ is approx. 165$.

I just hope HoT won’t cost more than 50€ … otherwise I’d really have to consider buying it at release ._.

Goroth – Necro | Valea – Mesmer
Naneth – Guardian | Brannoc Oakbark – Ranger
Is all that we see or seem just a dream within a dream?

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

$30 seems reasonable

Posted by: DoIKnowYou.3896

DoIKnowYou.3896

Well, I hope Anet does the “special” edition expansion pack thing where you can bonus stuff. I’ll gladly pay 60-100 bucks for a good xpack/special edition of xpack

Active Gw2 member who is ready to venture into the jungle! :)

Posted by: Xandror.2356

Xandror.2356

So if buying gold from those people spam me in whispers several times a day benefits Anet, the would explain why they don’t do anything to stop it. Maybe there is a legendary in the not to distant future.

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

I am fine with a direct digital purchase through the gem store but only with traditional payment methods such as paypal/paysafe card/credit card or what have you, just not for gems.

I would rather not have the gem/gold exchange rate drastically change. That said perhaps a delux edition upgrade would be okay, like with the basic game.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: Moldur.6275

Moldur.6275

I’ll be happier the more I need to pay, because with a high price comes great content.
And even for what might seem like a lot of money to some of you, compare the price to the amount of entertainment hours you get. Then compare it to what you pay for a visit to the cinema for 2 hours. 60€ for an expansion (guessing) would be really cheap in that regard. Just divide what you bought the original game for with your in-game played time /age, and you will all of a sudden find whatever price tag they put on HoT to be really cheap and worth it.

Posted by: Melanie.1240

Melanie.1240

Anything below €75,00 is insta buy for me. Then again, I don’t know what is normal for an expansion. I never played a game with expansions, nor ever bought one.

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

It really depends on what the final content amount is.

If it’s an Eye of the North sort of mini expansion… no more than $30.

If it was full blown campaign across tons of the continent we haven’t seen, and there was more than 1 specialization per class, then I would not mind paying the same as the base game. But they really don’t appear to be going for that mega expansion model at this time.

Posted by: Faereilos.5106

Faereilos.5106

$30 max. HoT doesn’t seem to have enough content to warrant a higher price tag.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

It’s a lot smaller than I thought. So no full price. Also it’s not cantha nor elona.. So def. not game price.

Posted by: KorbanDallas.7389

KorbanDallas.7389

It better be less based on the anemic content.

No, it’s obviously going to be more. And I don’t get why you think it’s “anemic” content. New zones, new class, new specializations, challenging group content (still unknown though), revamp of WvW and a new map, new PvP mode, Guild Halls. These are all expansion type content.

Have people not bought expansions for other games before? They typically cost the same as a normal game.

Stop being so kitten cheap people. There is no sub here.

I just wanted to do something for the sake of having fun here as far as costs go, but I believe the reason people are calling it anemic is because compared to what anyone is used to getting from GW1 as an expansion, this would be kind of laughable in comparison.
That being said – we’ve gotten the entire Silverwastes, Drytop, and Southsun from living story updates, and if the jungle is smaller than the three, I think you could see the complaints there (granted, we don’t know how big the jungle areas will be yet).

Anyways, let’s say for sake of theoretical price arguments, the mass of the jungle is at least 3 of those areas. That’s about 3x LS updates (200 gems a pop).
A new class? Well, character slot costs 800ish, so lets say that.
New PvP and WvW map? Uh, I honestly don’t do either, so lets just call it LS map costs (200 a pop).
So just for the class and the maps that would be… 1600, which is 20 bucks give or take. I’d therefore say that it’s reasonable to call it in the 20-30 bucks range – doesn’t mean anyone has to be happy about it though.

I also still look forward to hearing how everything plays backwards more than the cost. Yeah, sure, most of us will complain about the price and buy it anyways – but I specifically want to know how it’s going to affect people playing together in the time it takes for everyone to get it (allowing for variable times of purchase amongst members of a consistent party/guild)

}——————————-{
http://avsla-gw2.blogspot.com/

Posted by: etsubmariner.4690

etsubmariner.4690

I’d pay for the expansion. The content’s worth the money. (We did after all have to in GW1) These guys need to get paid for this great stuff! :-)

They do get paid. Microtransactions are where they make the dough. I hope they do not charge for the expansion, or that it is mighty inexpensive.

Posted by: knyghte.3920

knyghte.3920

With the old Guild Wars the expansions were usually in the $30 range if I recall correctly. I would pay that in a heart beat personally. But $50ish would be a bit to much for an expansion imho. Unless there are ALOT more features being added than what they have shown thus far. It would need at least one more race and expansion into every area of the game.

Posted by: Biohazard.7523

Biohazard.7523

China will probably have cheap expansion, so Ill buy from them…

Posted by: Corax.7381

Corax.7381

My gut feeling is $30.

“Quaggan will kick your tail so hard it slaps you in the face!” – Willoo

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

It amazes me how many people are ready to expect a price point equal to the original cost of the base game when the expansion doesn’t appear to be adding new content equal to that of the base game.

Posted by: Will Lucky.8703

Will Lucky.8703

It amazes me how many people are ready to expect a price point equal to the original cost of the base game when the expansion doesn’t appear to be adding new content equal to that of the base game.

Well its how Blizzard operate.

Personally I don’t mind paying at most £35. However if they come out with another Deluxe edition, my max price rises depending on content included.

Server: Far Shiverpeaks

Posted by: AlphaMadMax.8321

AlphaMadMax.8321

30$ expansion 99%, like Guild Wars Eye of the North !

Posted by: SilverWF.4789

SilverWF.4789

Is it possible that the expansion would/could be purchasable through the black lion with gems?

Anet, please, NO!

#SAVEDONBASS from Ukraine!
Seafarer’s Rest (EU): Liicher (Engi), Lii Cher (Warrior), Swf (Elem),
Licharr (Guard), Lich Eir (Ranger), Alt Fh (Thief). Lii Cherr (Mesm), S Wf (Necr)

Posted by: Dalwhat.2867

Dalwhat.2867

It’s an expansion. Not a stand alone game. As such the price should reflect this.

Paddy Malone Human Level 80 Ranger
Also Level 80 Mesmer, Elementalist, Engineer, Thief & Warrior.

Posted by: adormtil.1605

adormtil.1605

Are expansion at the same price as the base game or are cheaper usually? I know that in some MMO they are cheaper what about in this game by taking GW 1 as a precedent?

Posted by: Letifer.4360

Letifer.4360

The number of new maps and other pve content (raids, dungeons, fractal maps) will make or break it, so far I will not pay more than 30€ for this.

Posted by: climonite.8537

climonite.8537

50$ would be high, considering you pay less for the game at this time and that includes ALOT more then the expansion will have.

Also with the insane skilllag and even servers crashing in WvW, I don’t see how they can ask alot for a half working game, it also would’nt help bring people back that love WvW, if the lag doesn’t get solved and a price like that is asked to join in on the new map.

Posted by: Letifer.4360

Letifer.4360

50$ would be high, considering you pay less for the game at this time and that includes ALOT more then the expansion will have.

Also with the insane skilllag and even servers crashing in WvW, I don’t see how they can ask alot for a half working game, it also would’nt help bring people back that love WvW, if the lag doesn’t get solved and a price like that is asked to join in on the new map.

Just imagine the lag on the 1st day of the expansion in the new zones…

Posted by: Gord.8654

Gord.8654

OMG…. take my money!!! It will be worth it!! If you want a free expansion ask yourself this…. are you willing to work for free? Anet… I will gladly pay for this and will be buying the pre-purchase as soon as the portal opens!!

Host of SOTD Podcast www.sotdpodcastblog.wordpress.com