Bingo.2174

It’s amazing.

Well done.

Great video too.

"Reaper" name feedback [not merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: cocowoushi.7150

cocowoushi.7150

Video was 100% better than DH’s. Thank you.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

So… how is Reaper any less generic than the Dragonhunter, which people raged like mad about being so generic?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Bingo.2174

Bingo.2174

So… how is Reaper any less generic than the Dragonhunter, which people raged like mad about being so generic?

Raeper is full of possibilities.

Dragonhunter is not.

Reaper fits the genre of the class.

Dragonhunter does not.

Reaper is not two words mashed together.

Dragonhunter is.

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Reaper is pretty generic. I would have liked Wraith better. But at least it is not as “high concept” (contain your laughter please) as the Dragon Hunter.

This really is the sort of name you get when you accept the very first suggestion that someone in the office shouts.

Project lead: “I would like to open the discussion for the name of the new necromancer specialization….”
Random dev: “REAPER!!!”
Project lead: “Alright, reaper it is! Lets go with that!”

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

It’s a little boring, maybe, but it makes sense, given the context of the class, and it appears to be more of an extension of the necromancer, instead of just throwing warrior mechanics at its face and calling it a Dragonbrawler.

Posted by: Naevius.3185

Naevius.3185

More like:
“After the reception of ‘Dragonhunter’, perhaps we should re-think the name ‘Death Blossom’…”

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

And yet Dragonhunter makes sense for a Guardian as well, seeing as one of the parts of being a hunter is hunting down dangerous beasts that threatens the people/community. Which is exactly what the Guardian is all about.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Bingo.2174

Reaper is pretty generic. I would have liked Wraith better. But at least it is not as “high concept” (contain your laughter please) as the Dragon Hunter.

This really is the sort of name you get when you accept the very first suggestion that someone in the office shouts.

Project lead: “I would like to open the discussion for the name of the new necromancer specialization….”
Random dev: “REAPER!!!”
Project lead: “Alright, reaper it is! Lets go with that!”

Good thing he shouted that out over the whispered “Vinehunter” suggestion.

Posted by: Arewn.2368

Arewn.2368

No less generic a name then warrior or guardian. That wasn’t the problem with DH though. People calling the DH name “generic” where just poorly articulating the issue with it.
Reaper follows the established, expected, and desired naming convention, and is thematically compatible with the profession and elite spec, without overstepping it’s bounds and treading on the territory of another class.
Therefore, it’s good.

Black Box.9312

And yet Dragonhunter makes sense for a Guardian as well, seeing as one of the parts of being a hunter is hunting down dangerous beasts that threatens the people/community. Which is exactly what the Guardian is all about.

No, it doesn’t. It’s meant to be “evocative of a medieval witch hunter”, but it fails on that front because it also carries the theme of being a “big game hunter”, which is nothing like a witch hunter, and even further from how a Guardian is supposed to feel. The Reaper also, by the looks of it, is bringing something new to the table, and hopefully won’t be a simple rehash of an existing class and build like the Guardian is getting.

Bingo.2174

Which is exactly what the Guardian is all about.

No. No it’s not.

And even if it /were/, why should they get a name so blatantly “what it’s all about”? Why isn’t Druid actually called “Jungle-learned” then?

Bingo.2174

BACK ON TOPIC OF HOW AWSESOME REAPER IS:

That sword! It’s the same one from the concept art! So jelly~~~~ That hood too. <3!

Like the hood is what a reaper would wear. :o And the skills MATCH the aim of the specialization. Like, the necro becomes a reaper.

Posted by: CodeHavoc.7926

CodeHavoc.7926

Was I the only one thinking “Mordrem Slasher?!”

Oh yeah, reaper. It was kinda expected. Generic a bit, but I couldn’t think more of a fitting name.

Shk. Dragonhunter.

Necro Jesus is a thing apparently
The Zerker Bunker meta is the biggest bug in the game

Posted by: Sorin.4310

Sorin.4310

Yes I can’t wait to hunt down bubbles with my longbow and ground targeted traps as a dragon hunter….

Black Box.9312

Yes I can’t wait to hunt down bubbles with my longbow and ground targeted point-blank range traps as a dragon hunter….

FTFY

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Yes I can’t wait to hunt down bubbles with my longbow and ground targeted traps as a dragon hunter….

You think we ever get to fight other dragons than Mordremoth and Zhaitan?
That is a bit optimistic.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Bingo.2174

We will be going after Mordy for two years at least at this rate.

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

Or we will get “press 2 to win” in the end of new personal story

Posted by: Ojyh.9842

Ojyh.9842

You can’t say [merged] if it is not actually merged by a moderator.

Reaper is good. Nothing to say about that. A bit bit generic maybe, but whatever… It works.

Posted by: AikunFelcis.7258

AikunFelcis.7258

Or we will get “press 2 to win” in the end of new personal story

Nope, We’ll do the same what we did with Tower of Nightmares. Inject funny elixir to Mordremoth’s heart (aka Heart of Thorns) and it will explode. Instead of cannonballs we will soon syringe with this yummy liqueur till Mordy dies. After that you will change your minds that Zhaitan’s final encounter is far better, so it can be considered as fixed.

Bingo.2174

You can’t say [merged] if it is not actually merged by a moderator.

Reaper is good. Nothing to say about that. A bit bit generic maybe, but whatever… It works.

I was poking fun but I edited it for you. Wasn’t impersonating a mod, just parodying the Dragonhunter thread.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Based on the information we know so far I would suggest the following names:

Turtlemancer
Ping-pongmancer
CC’dmancer
Blinded-mancer
No-PvEmancer

These would all be more accurate descriptions of the specialization.

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

Awesome! – lets hope it plays as awesome as it appears to be.

Posted by: Godric.3012

Godric.3012

great name (you know what you are and what you get) , nice video.

Posted by: Mar.4839

Mar.4839

It’s alright, just let it go. Seems like majority of players expect all elite specializations to be a natural progression of the base class.

It will happen again when the next round of elite specs come and another profession gets a spec that isn’t a progression of the last elite spec.

I bet a lot of arguments would be something like “This doesn’t make sense, a Ranger goes from a Druid to a Swordsman!? Rangers are already Swordsman!” Even though the spec would be focused on a more melee Ranger.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

They were gonna go with the name, “Dark Emo Death Blade Wielder” but got gun shy after the DH naming debacle.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Lily.1935

Lily.1935

Worst Elite specialization hands down. It basically takes everything the necromancer already did, adds nothing new, then makes them melee and even slower then before. So basically, they’re just as parasitic as before and just as bad as before.

Posted by: Snow.2048

Snow.2048

Generic but it fits very well with what they were doing

Posted by: Zetsumei.4975

Zetsumei.4975

Its not that dragonhunter is generic.. its that it sounds like a dev gave his 5 year old son a minute to come up with the guard spec name.

Kurodaraku – Necromancer | Kuroshikon – Ranger
Officer of [DEX] Deus Ex Machina Eu and [Fus] Fus Ro Dâh
Ruins of Surmia

Posted by: RabbitUp.8294

RabbitUp.8294

Its not that dragonhunter is generic.. its that it sounds like a dev gave his 5 year old son a minute to come up with the guard spec name.

And Reaper is better on that regard?

Posted by: Zetsumei.4975

Zetsumei.4975

Its playing it safe in my opinion, and I would’ve complained about wanting banshee or wraith but then they gave us a kitteng dervish scythe

Kurodaraku – Necromancer | Kuroshikon – Ranger
Officer of [DEX] Deus Ex Machina Eu and [Fus] Fus Ro Dâh
Ruins of Surmia

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Please stop. There are obvious reasons why people don’t like Dragonhunter. Reasons that do not apply to the name Reaper. Mostly, it’s that it isn’t conceptually jarring and it doesn’t needlessly break established conventions.

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

Dragonhunter is not.

Dragonhunter does not.

Dragonhunter is.

You appear to confuse your personal, subjective opinion, with that of actual objective fact.

Always makes me life when folks dishonestly word their opinions as if it were fact, then disingenuously make claims about it.

I would love for you to definitively explain offer some facts proving your claim about possibilities.

A rose by any other name, and all that…………..The profession is still the same, and plays the same, regardless of a name.

As a matter of fact it is two words mashed together.

er : person occupationally connected with <furrier> <lawyer> …………one that does or performs (a specified action) <batter> —sometimes added to both elements of a compound <builder-upper>

reap : to cut with a sickle, scythe, or reaping machine

When the two words are smashed together, it means “one who reaps, or one who uses a reaper”

Just one more example of uninformed posters, making uninformed claims, I guess.

Please stop. There are obvious reasons why people don’t like Dragonhunter. Reasons that do not apply to the name Reaper. Mostly, it’s that it isn’t conceptually jarring and it doesn’t needlessly break established conventions.

Nothing is obvious about it in my opinion. As I see it, it is petty posters crying because they didn’t get the name they preconceived in their own heads, but that is simply my opinion.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

(edited by coglin.1867)

Posted by: RabbitUp.8294

RabbitUp.8294

You don’t get to call when someone’s allowed to like or dislike a name. I responded to a specific criticism about the name, you have no right to put words in our mouths, or substitute the original complain with your own.

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Raged?

How did I miss that?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Raged?

How did I miss that?

The thread about the Dragonhunter name on this page with 1356 posts? Idk, how did you miss it?

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

er : person occupationally connected with <furrier> <lawyer> …………one that does or performs (a specified action) <batter> —sometimes added to both elements of a compound <builder-upper>

When the two words are smashed together, it means “one who reaps, or one who uses a reaper”

Technically, that’s a root word and a suffix, not two words.
Whereas Dragonhunter is actually a compound word.

Anyway, I’ll agree with the commentary above. Reaper is expected and safe, but it’s also a good fit for what is expected of Necromancer and gives the Death Shroud another use. (I don’t really use it normally, so.. yeah.)

I’ll let the actual Dragonhunter name thread stand as my list of reasons why it doesn’t work.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Einlanzer.1627

You don’t get to call when someone’s allowed to like or dislike a name. I responded to a specific criticism about the name, you have no right to put words in our mouths, or substitute the original complain with your own.

Except I didn’t. That’s what you did and I simply called you on it. Projection much?

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Dragonhunter is not.

Dragonhunter does not.

Dragonhunter is.

For me it was like, how exactly does dragon hunting thematically fit in with guardians which thematically are holy knights?

He has a name, it’s Steve!

It’s alright, just let it go. Seems like majority of players expect all elite specializations to be a natural progression of the base class.

It’s not an unreasonable expectation…

Nothing is obvious about it in my opinion. As I see it, it is petty posters crying because they didn’t get the name they preconceived in their own heads, but that is simply my opinion.

But just because you don’t understand something it doesn’t follow that it’s illogical, silly or naturally confusing. I find that people don’t always get that.

Einlanzer.1627

Dragonhunter is not.

Dragonhunter does not.

Dragonhunter is.

You appear to confuse your personal, subjective opinion, with that of actual objective fact.

Always makes me life when folks dishonestly word their opinions as if it were fact, then disingenuously make claims about it.

I would love for you to definitively explain offer some facts proving your claim about possibilities.

A rose by any other name, and all that…………..The profession is still the same, and plays the same, regardless of a name.

“-er” is not a word, lol. Just because it isn’t obvious to you doesn’t mean it isn’t obvious period. There is a conceptual disconnect that was unexpected both in the context of the Guardian class and in the context of class/spec names/concepts in general. That is a fact.

The only opinion is whether you like it or not. Most people don’t, probably because most people like cohesion and uniformity and dislike needless deviations from convention and names that sound like they came from the head of a 7 year old.

(edited by Einlanzer.1627)

Black Box.9312

“-er” is a suffix, not a word. Please don’t lecture others about improper grammar if you do not understand it yourself.

Posted by: Hvaran.6327

Hvaran.6327

the idea of spec is cool, the name is cool, the video was gergeous

Handarand – Handacooon – Handa Panda – Handa Genie

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

Gee guys. Reapers kill things. Don’t we all kill things? Aren’t we all reapers? I’m confused!

Posted by: Talonblaze.3175

Talonblaze.3175

Gee guys. Reapers kill things. Don’t we all kill things? Aren’t we all reapers? I’m confused!

It’s high concept. You wouldn’t understand.

Duty is heavier than death.

Posted by: AikunFelcis.7258

AikunFelcis.7258

It’s high concept. You wouldn’t understand.

Actually it suppoused to be Dragonroarer, but they forgot to edit the placeholder name put in the article. So sad.

Posted by: Moderator.1056

Moderator.1056

Since the discussion in this thread has derailed and is no longer constructive this thread is now closed.