So... where are the dungeons?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Let me rephrase, which gear should I pick instead of berserker’s?

For getting optimal at support and control?

Giver’s.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: rotten.9753

rotten.9753

If dungeons are such a major part of the game, why is Anet not paying them any attention? I’m curious.

Seems they talk a lot about PvP and have a PvP show, even. And they do run WvW tournaments, and they’re adding a new map and making changes. If so many people were running dungeons by percentage, why wouldn’t Anet support them more?

It’s true that there may be enough people to have a relatively small dungeon community and still not have to wait long for dungeon queues, but you know, it’s only five guys at a time. And some guys spam dungeons, so they keep going in, keeping the pool alive.

I’m guessing that only a small percentage of the playerbase regularly does dungeons. I sort of suspect that the living world wouldn’t be the living world if everyone were ignoring it and doing dungeons.

PvP is dead yet they try to push esports since 2012, constantly failing. Averaging 1-2k viewers is far from being an esport.

Besides, you’re comparing a sub game mode to a whole game mode. How big is a pvp community that plays only ranked games?

Posted by: Many.8419

Many.8419

Start giving numbers or stop assuming anything. You have no idea how many ppl play dungeons or pvp or open world or wvw. I don’t know either. But I don’t assume your content is less important than my content. All of you against dungeons are using an argument ‘shut up, you’re too little to demand’ which is a hilarious attitude.

I’m voicing my need for new dungeons. I can see I am not alone. This is not a new feature, we already have dungeons. Why can’t we have some more? Dungeoneers don’t want to make this game a dungeon crawler but after almost 3 years some fixes to dungeons and a couple of new ones isnt too much to ask I think.

Unless a red post shows up with DETAILED DATA about dungeon participation and reasoning why we don’t matter to them. With such info proven by numbers I can discuss. Everything else is just pure assumption from dungeon haters spreading misinformation and bad mouthing dungeoneers.

P.S. Call Robert Hrouda. He can show you how to handle dungeons and community with respect.

rotten.9753

Giver’s.

Right, an additional 6% boon duration will make berserker’s perform “quite badly” compared to giver’s. Are you aware that you lose 164 stats for wearing giver’s armour?

(edited by rotten.9753)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Start giving numbers or stop assuming anything. You have no idea how many ppl play dungeons or pvp or open world or wvw. I don’t know either. But I don’t assume your content is less important than my content. All of you against dungeons are using an argument ‘shut up, you’re too little to demand’ which is a hilarious attitude.

I’m voicing my need for new dungeons. I can see I am not alone. This is not a new feature, we already have dungeons. Why can’t we have some more? Dungeoneers don’t want to make this game a dungeon crawler but after almost 3 years some fixes to dungeons and a couple of new ones isnt too much to ask I think.

Unless a red post shows up with DETAILED DATA about dungeon participation and reasoning why we don’t matter to them. With such info proven by numbers I can discuss. Everything else is just pure assumption from dungeon haters spreading misinformation and bad mouthing dungeoneers.

P.S. Call Robert Hrouda. He can show you how to handle dungeons and community with respect.

I actually assume that if a company stops supporting something they have a good reason for doing so. If they continue to support something they have a good reason for doing so.

I’m not making up numbers, I’m watching the companies behavior and drawing conclusions. And also using what I know from other MMOs to guide those conclusions.

Sure it’s a guess, but it’s an educated one. Whether you agree or not, that’s the conclusion I’ve come to.

Many.8419

I actually assume that if a company stops supporting something they have a good reason for doing so. If they continue to support something they have a good reason for doing so.

I’m not making up numbers, I’m watching the companies behavior and drawing conclusions. And also using what I know from other MMOs to guide those conclusions.

Sure it’s a guess, but it’s an educated one. Whether you agree or not, that’s the conclusion I’ve come to.

At least we have a consensus that you have no evidence to back up your statements and it’s only your personal experience being called “conclusions”.

Well, my previous post stands. Dungeoneers are voicing their requests for revamp and/or new dungeons. There are many dungeon experts that can provide hints how to do it. Since no one painted red gave us a simple answer “you are too little, we dont care to put money for dungeons” for a long time, many dungeoneers still believe it is possible we will finally get some content important to this part of the community.

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Let me rephrase, which gear should I pick instead of berserker’s?

Giver’s.

So you think sacrificing an entire stat selection is worth 6% boon duration for support?

Weapons, yeah they aren’t terrible, but the only control they help is things like cripple/chill/immob by a total of 20%, not a terrible idea, but on say a 6s chill we’re talking an extra 1.2s, or a 2s immob all the way up a whole .4s!

Basically the only stat set that helps support/control in any way is quite lackluster as far as overall effectiveness.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I don’t understand where people are getting the idea that dungeons are a “small” part of the game. Even after running the exact same dungeons for 2.5 years it only takes me ~5s to get a full dungeon group. To get a full PvP match going takes 5-6 minutes… it takes hours to get a SW map to the point that people actually want to join in, and then they immediately leave again once it finishes.

I would argue that dungeons are the most played aspect of the game.

Posted by: Seishiro.7468

Seishiro.7468

well they didn’t say anything about dungeons, but there are some little hints at 10-people raids(the sequenz where 10 people walk to the mursaat in the trailer, and the fact they hired a raiddesigner) which would be a nice change of pace.

That they dodge the question is a common theme for arenanet, I mean they said they didn’t want to release an expansion forever, and now they suddenly do, but until something gets confirmed or the game is out, there is no way to know for sure

“Trust in iron, not false gods” Karnar Ironclaw, Centurio of the Iron Legion

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I don’t understand where people are getting the idea that dungeons are a “small” part of the game. Even after running the exact same dungeons for 2.5 years it only takes me ~5s to get a full dungeon group. To get a full PvP match going takes 5-6 minutes… it takes hours to get a SW map to the point that people actually want to join in, and then they immediately leave again once it finishes.

I would argue that dungeons are the most played aspect of the game.

I guess it depends on a lot of factors. Dungeons typically take me longer than PvP matches. I’ve stood and waited upwards of 10 minutes for a ‘casual’ run (made the post myself, marked it casual, and twiddled my thumbs) where as the longest I think I’ve waited for a pvp match was about 2 and a half minutes.

The average time it takes me to fill a casual run is longer (by a minute or 2, so not a huge discrepancy) than the average time I’m standing around waiting for a pvp match. But there are a lot of external factors that impact that wait time – time of day, dungeon in question, path desired, class being played, etc etc.

SW typically takes about an hour to go all the way through start to finish. Unless people are chest training instead of fort defending, then yeah it takes hours.

Based on my experience, dungeons aren’t the “most played aspect” of the game. Are they a popular aspect? Sure, to an extent, but so is open world boss farming.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Wasn’t dungeons something they are backing away from?

Talks about dungeons from 4:15
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umpR6LhBhW4

I think this quote sums it up: Source (found while researching about the dungeon team for this thread).

Anet is not currently working on any dungeons content and has no plans to develop dungeons further.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Seishiro.7468

Well I wouldn’t really take an interview that goes so far back into account now, since back then, they still told everyone they would stick to their expansionfree modell.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Well I wouldn’t really take an interview that goes so far back into account now, since back then, they still told everyone they would stick to their expansionfree modell.

Last I heard, they disbanded or cut back on their dungeon team after the head guy left and afaik wasn’t replaced.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Last I heard, they disbanded or cut back on their dungeon team after the head guy left and afaik wasn’t replaced.

They merged the dungeon team into the LS teams. And two of the most celebrated dungeons (Molten Dungeon and Aetherblade Retreat) were done AFTER that happened.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

In a typical boxed expansion, the majority of the repeatable content is in the form of dungeons/raids.

Gw2 isn’t the typical game so it’s not good to assume the repeatable, challenging content comes in a dungeon format.. In fact, because of the targeted market for the game, I expect the repeatable content to be as far away from a dungeon as possible.

Just a flesh wound.3589

They merged the dungeon team into the LS teams. And two of the most celebrated dungeons (Molten Dungeon and Aetherblade Retreat) were done AFTER that happened.

The dungeon team no longer has a separate identity or a head guy that specializes in dungeons as his job, but was merged with Living Story teams and the last dungeon was almost 2 years ago? Or has there been more dungeons made since then?

Maybe they are considering the boss fights inside the living story instances their job as dungeon makers or if they do make dungeons it will be short term ones that will be part of the living story and then converted to a fractal.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

rotten.9753

Most celebrated?? o.O

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I think this quote sums it up: Source (found while researching about the dungeon team for this thread).

Anet is not currently working on any dungeons content and has no plans to develop dungeons further.

Well that was when LS was “the future” and they were focusing on that. Since that died horrifically, I expected them to go back to more traditional methods. They are doing a traditional boxed expansion, so I figured they would probably have some more traditional content to go with it.

As others have pointed out they did say there was going to be “challenging group content” hopefully we hear more about that soon.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Well that was when LS was “the future” and they were focusing on that. Since that died horrifically, I expected them to go back to more traditional methods. They are doing a traditional boxed expansion, so I figured they would probably have some more traditional content to go with it.

As others have pointed out they did say there was going to be “challenging group content” hopefully we hear more about that soon.

They have mentioned challenging group content, but I was reading it as open world content, since they have shown the Wyvern fight and how you need to use control skills to knock down its new defiance bar.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/meet-the-wyvern-in-guildwars2-heartofthorns/

I’ve gotten the distinct impression that new dungeons are not going to be a part of Guild Wars 2. Maybe short term ones like the Molten one but not permanent ones (unless they later put them in the fractals).

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: NoTrigger.8396

NoTrigger.8396

They have mentioned challenging group content, but I was reading it as open world content, since they have shown the Wyvern fight and how you need to use control skills to knock down its new defiance bar.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/meet-the-wyvern-in-guildwars2-heartofthorns/

I’ve gotten the distinct impression that new dungeons are not going to be a part of Guild Wars 2. Maybe short term ones like the Molten one but not permanent ones (unless they later put them in the fractals).

they said the wyvern fight isnt the challenging group content and they said something like “if you look at the wyvern you can imagine what we are able to do. and the wyvern is just open world”.

[qT] Quantify

Posted by: VodCom.6924

VodCom.6924

Most celebrated?? o.O

Technically, these dungeons were less buggy and offered more interesting challenges/puzzles than the AC I run daily.

The fact they got re-integrated in fractals because of community lobbying should tell you how appreciated they were.

Known as Reegar Else, Linda Else, Xiana Else and Thorgall Breakstone

Many.8419

Technically, these dungeons were less buggy and offered more interesting challenges/puzzles than the AC I run daily.

The fact they got re-integrated in fractals because of community lobbying should tell you how appreciated they were.

This is both right and wrong. People wanted anet not to remove content in the first place so this is why they wanted those dungeons return. Same happens with LS1 now. It doesnt make them special but removing content is just (insert random insult here) and this is why ppl want it back.

When they say challenging group content and avoid word dungeon like fire during many interviews it means exactly we will get nothing. Null. Nada.

And hiring raid leader means more tequatls and reskinned wurms.

If they havent pushed Hrouda to leave we would have incredible dungeons now. Revamped, polished and CHALLENGING.

#neverforgiveneverforget

(edited by Many.8419)

Posted by: zaw.6741

zaw.6741

CHALLENGING.

but but
50 ppl stacking on commander and spamming 1 is challenging!

about all those saying that ‘few ppl play dungeons’. yeah, your’re right. less and less ppl play dungeons cause how many times can you repeat it over and over and over and over…
if we got new dungeons, i can guarantee you lfg for them would be crowded as hell

(edited by zaw.6741)

rotten.9753

Less buggy? I wouldn’t say so. Mai trin’s cannons phase is probably one of the most prominent bug in fractals and everyone complains about that.

Also, a lot of people don’t like time gated challenges.

Posted by: CambrianExplosion.6394

CambrianExplosion.6394

Less buggy? I wouldn’t say so. Mai trin’s cannons phase is probably one of the most prominent bug in fractals and everyone complains about that.

What’s buggy about the cannon phase in Mai Trin?

zaw.6741

What’s buggy about the cannon phase in Mai Trin?

for example getting 1-shotted even when out of red circles without lags

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

I believe the cannon phase shots can hit you mid projectile arc – the same as horiks cannon fire..

Also misleading aoe circle sizes.

Not a bug. Just annoying as heck.

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

Posted by: Joey.2769

Joey.2769

New challenging content….fotm LvL 200 GGWP

Commander X Swagalicious X
Commander Twerknificient
Joey Bladow

Posted by: Windsagio.1340

Windsagio.1340

You have to laugh though, the zerker conflict is so ugly that it drives people further away from dungeons and makes any dungeon reltaed discussion nigh-impossible.

To the OP: Due to mostly cultural reasons dungeons appear inaccessible to a large number of players, so they don’t do them. I’m willing to speculate that dungeons don’t feed spending much at all (if anything the opposite, because people grind dungeons for quick gold to gem-convert ), which doesn’t exactly make them more eager to develop more of them.

zaw.6741

Due to mostly cultural reasons dungeons appear inaccessible to a large number of players

by cultural you mean: i dont know what to do, so ill join zerker speedrun lfg in my greens / clerics whatever. then go cry on forums that so bad and ‘unfriednly players kicked me from dungeon omg toxic community’

we dont have problems with your open world zerging, so you should gtfo from dungeons. zome ppl njoy zerging and spamming one, some njoy speed running dungeons. and anet should give some content to both groups. i dont think 1 or 2 dungeons (story +3/4 paths) would prevent them from updateing open world zergfests

some ppl run dungeons for shinies, some just njoy them more than ‘follow commander and press 1 to kill / f to open chest in SW’

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Due to mostly cultural reasons dungeons appear inaccessible to a large number of players

by cultural you mean: i dont know what to do, so ill join zerker speedrun lfg in my greens / clerics whatever. then go cry on forums that so bad and ‘unfriednly players kicked me from dungeon omg toxic community’

we dont have problems with your open world zerging, so you should gtfo from dungeons. zome ppl njoy zerging and spamming one, some njoy speed running dungeons. and anet should give some content to both groups. i dont think 1 or 2 dungeons (story +3/4 paths) would prevent them from updateing open world zergfests

some ppl run dungeons for shinies, some just njoy them more than ‘follow commander and press 1 to kill / f to open chest in SW’

Um, dungeon ranger is 1 spam. Most of sustained damage comes from 1 spam, like warrior mainhand axe. Thief does cnd>backstab every other while and in the revealed debuff spams 1. Necromancer is 1 spam, from dagger to deathshroud to Lich elite. Once ele has his might stacks and has used meteor shower, he just spams fire ball in between lava fonts.

Posted by: Bahlol.6125

Bahlol.6125

We are more likely to get a new fractal or two than a new dungeon,

IIRC last year they said they are working on new fractals and released only one (when you voted for Evon Gnashblade or Ellen Kiel, each promised a new fractal if they elected and only the winners fractal got implanted in-game)
we got “Thaumanova Reactor” for voting for Kiel (danm voters) and ther is still “Fall of Abaddon” fractal that im looking forward to.

Posted by: dobri.7820

dobri.7820

We are more likely to get a new fractal or two than a new dungeon,….

I think so too.
At best we can get some handicaps in dungeons (as in fractals)

zaw.6741

Um, dungeon ranger is 1 spam. Most of sustained damage comes from 1 spam, like warrior mainhand axe. Thief does cnd>backstab every other while and in the revealed debuff spams 1. Necromancer is 1 spam, from dagger to deathshroud to Lich elite. Once ele has his might stacks and has used meteor shower, he just spams fire ball in between lava fonts.

hmm..without timed dodges/blocks/blind/projectiles defense it would be wipe in like 10seconds. try snowblind boss/grawl shaman/mossman(on land, not underwater glitch)/mai trin at scales 40+/hotw bosses with just spamming 1 stacked and not touching other buttons.

and you know: just because most of current dungeons/paths are easy and bit boring (most 80- ones, jade maw), doesnt mean they couldnt make new ones with more complex mechanics, more challenging.
and i dont see it possible to do open world content player skill based, its just a matter of working out how it works (check teq/wurm – impossible at the begining now regularly killed, without much effort from players, only need to follow commanders. vinewrath is just supereasy mode marionette, which was easy too and failed only due to REALLY BAD players that couldnt understand simple mechanics (or i should say – didnt want to learn and wanted to just 111 through everything and be rewarded for no effort at all. and it lead to fail and insult on chat))

why play a game that offers you no challenge and rewards everyone for quite everything, even if the activity can be completed by 5 year old kid

i dont mean do offend anyone, its just my (and many more players) point of view – games are about challange, not necessarily very hard challenge, but challenge

sorry for my english as well

(edited by zaw.6741)

Seishiro.7468

I do have to say, I like the idea of one-man-dungeons, didn’t really think about that because it has been a long time since I last played something like that. But it would solve multiple problems, like the dungeonsgroups that don’t want anything but zerkers, stacking wouldn’t be an issue, and so on and so forth.

But then again, I guess the living story things are kind of solo dungeon esc… hmm lets see, I just hope for some kind of new content, be it solodungeons, regular ones, raids or more fractals, all of those work for me ^^

Many.8419

I wouldnt call existing dungeons easy.
They are boring and smooth for many of us because we did them hundreds if not thousands of times. Once we see new dungeons they will be challenging but half year later they will be farmed with daily manner as old ones. This is totally natural.

zaw.6741

They are boring and smooth for many of us because we did them hundreds if not thousands of times. Once we see new dungeons they will be challenging but half year later they will be farmed with daily manner as old ones. This is totally natural.

well i wouldnt say arah p4 or fotm 50 are farmed daily (at least not by majority)

and since ferocity patch, anything below cof can be easily done even by newbies that dont know the path, cause mobs are weak

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

I do have to say, I like the idea of one-man-dungeons, didn’t really think about that because it has been a long time since I last played something like that. But it would solve multiple problems, like the dungeonsgroups that don’t want anything but zerkers, stacking wouldn’t be an issue, and so on and so forth.

But then again, I guess the living story things are kind of solo dungeon esc… hmm lets see, I just hope for some kind of new content, be it solodungeons, regular ones, raids or more fractals, all of those work for me ^^

It solves problems you think are there. You just have to do no stack all welcome looking for groups

Many.8419

well i wouldnt say arah p4 or fotm 50 are farmed daily (at least not by majority)

and since ferocity patch, anything below cof can be easily done even by newbies that dont know the path, cause mobs are weak

That’s because they are long. Especially arah p4, with so awesome Grenth event.

zaw.6741

following this thinking
ppl are against zerker speedruning, but dont like certain dungeon because its long
because logic

now its mostly farmers left, cause ppl that were interested in actual gameplay, not only shinies did it many times, long time ago. and would gladly consume new ones

Many.8419

I am not against speedrunning. And clearly PHIW scrubs dont care how long takes the path but they hardly ever do arah as well.

Posted by: Loex.5104

Loex.5104

In a typical boxed expansion, the majority of the repeatable content is in the form of dungeons/raids. Generally for a $40 expansion you will get 8-10 dungeons with 8-10 additional hard modes, and 2-3 raids. These dungeons are generally what keep people playing the content as they search for new gear and master the encounters…

GW2 delivers fun .. not grinding

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

I wouldn’t mind if they scrapped the idea of dungeons entirely and replaced it with multiple smaller instanced 5-player challenges (one boss or encounter) throughout the game world – with fractals serving as the more organized dungeon experience.

Posted by: Vix.6730

Vix.6730

The developers have already stated dungeons are too hard to make. So look for a compromise. What that compromise is could be anyone’s guess,

Posted by: Lifestealer.4910

Lifestealer.4910

In a typical boxed expansion, the majority of the repeatable content is in the form of dungeons/raids. Generally for a $40 expansion you will get 8-10 dungeons with 8-10 additional hard modes, and 2-3 raids. These dungeons are generally what keep people playing the content as they search for new gear and master the encounters…

Not sure if being sarcastic or not..

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

I wouldn’t mind if they scrapped the idea of dungeons entirely and replaced it with multiple smaller instanced 5-player challenges (one boss or encounter) throughout the game world – with fractals serving as the more organized dungeon experience.

I wouldn’t be opposed to this providing they were fun and challenging.

Posted by: Loex.5104

Loex.5104

Not sure if being sarcastic or not..

Nope i’m not sarcastic.
The OP made the point -> the WHOLE content of nearly any other MMO is nothing but grind to gain access to new content which is grind again

These dungeons are generally what keep people playing the content as they search for new gear and master the encounters…

- i would like to add that you have to do the same things again with every alt you create

GW2 offers you optional stuff to hold you in the game that you don’t have to do if you don’t want it.
It is confirmed that there will be challanging content and we know nothing about it atm but we can be sure that it won’t be like the other MMOs. So the comparison the OP did is not useful and the OP shouldn’t expect something like he mentioned .

Is there an equivalent in HoT? What will keep us playing after we finish the story 2-3 weeks in?
I just haven’t seen any info on this, i’m sure it is somewhere, but I can’t find it.

There won’t be any Dungeon-gergrind-treadmill. Im Sure we’ll get dungeons but they won’t do the main part of holding us in the game – gw2 never worked that way.
in PVE it will be mostly focused on Masteries (jeez there can be so many possibilities) / Collections (like the Silverwastes one for the Carapace gear) / Precursor-Hunting and of course dynamic events with new chains and bosses (like Vinewrath or the wyvern). Also the challenges could play a bigger role.

So it will definitively not be like other MMOs – the biggest comparison we could do should be the Silverwastes as the Devs mentioned that Orr once was planned like SW in much bigger scale with bigger impact for the map and the map-mechanics.

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

and you know: just because most of current dungeons/paths are easy and bit boring (most 80- ones, jade maw), doesnt mean they couldnt make new ones with more complex mechanics, more challenging.

They literally did that, Aetherpath exists and no one touches it with a ten foot pole.

Many.8419

Every time they say challenging content we’re getting zerg farm or zerg boss. Amazing.

Serious dungeoneers dont want dungeons to become main focus of the game. We want to be part of the game as much as others. Don’t like dungeons? don’t play them like many of us avoid world boss faceroll events.

Many.8419

They literally did that, Aetherpath exists and no one touches it with a ten foot pole.

because rewards are abyssmal