Speculation: Don't let ele spec be warhorn!

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

Kitsune, assuming the warhorn speculation is right, thief elite spec is getting a melee staff (Both weapon ascended AND specialization background) as a some sort of ninja monk samurai. This, is a interesting change in the role of a profession. Not just giving a boring warhorn.

PS: Revenant is getting glint+shield as elite spec btw.

Posted by: Kitsune.1902

Kitsune.1902

Would be very interesting to see thief with staff, and it could certainly fit the image of the class. Rangers however already get melee staff as druid unless I’m not mistaken and I’d be surprised to see two classes to get same elite weapon. Same would go with revenant though – so if shield for revenant is certain, then all of my speculation would be invalid (since I base it on assumption they want to give all classes a different elite weapon).

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

This is going to be good!!!! Lol can’t wait for the forum to light up!! Lol
I can then pour these tears into the Warhorn to blow bubbles… Lol

Kitsune.1902

Any weapon can turn out good or bad as elite. Before chronomancer reveal, if someone had said mesmers get shield… well I wouldn’t have been very excited. But the way it was done, I think mesmer elite will be great.

So regardless of what elite weapon elementalists get, I’ll refrain from judging it good or bad until I see the tempest revealed.

So far chronomancer looks great, dragonhunter not so much. I believe DH can be effective, and guardians could use some more ranged options so technically it’s good. Just not something I’d personally be interested in. Then again I play ranger as a main, and use longbow a lot, so maybe I just want something different.

(edited by Kitsune.1902)

Knighthonor.4061

Any weapon can turn out good or bad as elite. Before chronomancer reveal, if someone had said mesmers get shield… well I wouldn’t have been very excited. But the way it was done, I think mesmer elite will be great.

So regardless of what elite weapon elementalists get, I’ll refrain from judging it good or bad until I see the tempest revealed.

So far chronomancer looks great, dragonhunter not so much. I believe DH can be effective, and guardians could use some more ranged options so technically it’s good. Just not something I’d personally be interested in. Then again I play ranger as a main, and use longbow a lot, so maybe I just want something different.

I assume many people honestly don’t want Warhorn, due to how poorly designed they are in the game, model wise.

They have some of the worst models out of all weapon types. At least shields have cool models.

Warhorn, not so much.

Posted by: Palindrome.8904

Palindrome.8904

As a main ele, I genuinely don’t care if we get warhorn. Many weapon implementations are not typical, so I see no reason to doom and gloom just based on weapon type. Just look at Mesmer GS and Revenant Hammer as a couple of examples. Warhorn could totally be a thematic choice and have nothing to do with current support mechanisms.

What if it ended up being a powerful PBAoE weapon?

Posted by: Markin.9167

Markin.9167

Please dont give us a warhorn, sword is so cool.

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

I assume many people honestly don’t want Warhorn, due to how poorly designed they are in the game, model wise.

They have some of the worst models out of all weapon types. At least shields have cool models.

Warhorn, not so much.

That’s very much subjective, and you have to consider the factor of the weapon’s rather sub-standard viability. The popularity of warhorns has always been low because they are not exceptional for just about anyone who isn’t a Shoutbow Warrior or a Necromancer (and frankly, Necromancer weapons are among the worst in the game in general).

If anything Torch is the weapon that is most prone to getting the shaft. Like Warhorn, it’s only on a few classes, and it isn’t exceptionally popular on any of them (and, in fact, it only has a really unique niche on the Mesmer). Why is it so mistreated? God knows. I think it has some of the best skin variety in the game, with a ton of great skins. I would be excited to see torches on any profession, but especially Thief, Elementalist, and Necromancer.

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

well consider how hammer works for base revenant, GS for base mesmer, shield for chronomancer etc etc, you cant really assume how a warhorn will for ele (and as for warhorn giving a stationary playstyle? WTF current most of not all classes with warhorn have a swiftness boon on warhorn skills, and likewise there are main hand sword skills on other classes that root you in place… so both warhorn or main hand sword could be very mobile or very stationary

Kitsune.1902

As a main ele, I genuinely don’t care if we get warhorn. Many weapon implementations are not typical, so I see no reason to doom and gloom just based on weapon type. Just look at Mesmer GS and Revenant Hammer as a couple of examples. Warhorn could totally be a thematic choice and have nothing to do with current support mechanisms.

PBAoE would sound thematically appropriate for ‘tempest’ and could very well be applied to warhorn. However elites apparently try to create new playstyles or support areas that the class is previously lacking – and elementalist isn’t exactly lacking in AoE DPS field. On the other hand I’m not really sure what field ele would be weakest on. There’s options for support, even heal, DPS, or you can build to be pretty durable. Well, I don’t play elementalist much, so it’s a bit difficult for me to judge.

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Warhorn, not so much.

That sort of goes without saying. If I show you a fantastically hand crafted foreign violin that is heralded as a piece of art and worth millions of dollars, to a violinist or simply a musician, they can see it’s worth and marvel. To a regular joe shmoe, it’s just a regular old violin.

Posted by: videoboy.4162

videoboy.4162

Are Ranger and Thief both getting a Staff? I had thought that they were going to duplicate weapons with the first batch of Elites. Seems kind of dull give them the same weapon, during the same release.

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

Warhorn, not so much.

The thing with warhorns is that they clip horribly with almost all the skirts used by light armor characters. They’re also ugly, true, but then again a lot of the one handed weapons are ugly – between scepters, torches and maces, there are way too many phallic objects for our characters to hold. I wish ArenaNet would have used something like orbs, at least they would probably be less like to be the clipping nightmare we have today.

Leo G.4501

Warhorn, not so much.

The thing with warhorns is that they clip horribly with almost all the skirts used by light armor characters. They’re also ugly, true, but then again a lot of the one handed weapons are ugly – between scepters, torches and maces, there are way too many phallic objects for our characters to hold. I wish ArenaNet would have used something like orbs, at least they would probably be less like to be the clipping nightmare we have today.

Many hip holstered weapons clip through skirts. If anything, that’s a problem with the whole skirt thing, not Warhorn.

Also, phallic shape? Warhorns remind you of kittens?

Posted by: Kodama.6453

Kodama.6453

Yep, that and the specialization Bg picure (Some ppl assume its a warhorn on mid of flames).

Can someone tell me wht he is referring to, please? There wasn’t a teaser picture for elementalist, so I don’t get which picture he meant.

Posted by: Shinji.2063

Shinji.2063

I really hope this is just smoke and mirrors by anet. To get a lame warhorn as our release elite would be beyond sad.

Just look at the two types of reactions to what we may be getting. Swords where generally good and a few people where just ecstatic.

Warhorn, a quote from the ele forum i think sums it up

My reaction to ele possibly getting warhorn. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9J5tYShNY8

Pure horror

I really hope not as this will just kill all my excitement for hot as an ele main.

Test.8734

Many hip holstered weapons clip through skirts.

Meanwhile, not many weapons manage to clip through skirts when held, almost every single time. Warhorn is one of the few weapons that manage to do it. It’s probably the weapon type that has the most clipping in the game, whenever drawn or holstered.

Also, phallic shape? Warhorns remind you of kittens?

Not really, they mostly remind me of small ducks: ugly, loud and useless.

Posted by: Kodama.6453

Kodama.6453

At least it would fit the theme, wouldn’kitten I’m associating a tempest more with a warhorn than with a sword.

Posted by: Akuni.8604

Akuni.8604

I’ll be on the fence if it’s really a Warhorn spec too. I never liked warhorns. They offer very limited potential for animations (Blow it, whack someone with it) while other weapons have jumps, rolls, sidesteps and all the different wielding stances. Warhorn suffers the same issues Torch has (animationwise you either whack something or you throw it) and Focus (That one basically has no animation at all besides “Wave you hand there”). Try to imagine a NEW and FUN animation for warhorn that doesn’t look like a kitten y idea of a 12 year old. I’ve been trying for years now and I simply can’t find anything – That weapon is just plain boring animationwise.

And no, seeing as someone pointed out warhorn is not underused: The only warhorn which is really getting some spotlight right now is necro because it’s his only reliable movement speed AND has a reliable daze. Spectral walk is more or less gimmicky and signet of locust… Well good luck with that one…
Ranger? One is a cast and forget pressure skill which can be outdone by every other main and offhand, the other is a AoE buff which, frankly, doesn’t have much value right now as a ranger generally HAS the tools to get might, fury and speed through traits. Heck, you can even have the skill without the warhorn equipped with clarion bond now. There’s really no reason to use warhorn on ranger.
Warrior? It was nice when it actually had a use with curing conditions and mobility but the patches left warr in a state where you almost never need the extra support of warhorn. Again, there’s rarely if ever a reason to take warhorn aside from a gimmicky shoutbow build in PvP.

Also, thinking about what elite specs SHOULD offer (“They should change how a class funktions and plays”) there’s not much new you can have with the warhorn. AoE and fields? Staff territory. Close range cone attacks? Dagger territory. AoE buffs? Auras weaved all into the kit do that, along with traits. Also that’s one of the most boring playstyles ever AND is already now an issue in PvP (Celestial tank, anyone?).
Sword on the other hand could give you another new playstyle if you for example go the thief/mesmer route and make it more evasive/fencer-esque.

I honestly don’t feel warhorn is a good idea as a elite spec weapon for anyone. They should stick with the sword or whatever else. Just not warhorn.

Posted by: Shiki.7148

Shiki.7148

I think most of us can agree that eles getting warhorn blows.

I laughed way too hard at that one.

Also, at the point of “only air makes sense”… They could easily do something like blowing mist out of the horn for water or smoke for fire, transforming it into a pipe and then you can go all Gandalf style, bending the smoke into a shape and use that to sttack

Or you could use it to “Call the Rain”.

(Sorry, I had to.)

I mean, “Tempest”, “Stormcaller”… That would pretty much fit the theme.

And on the “Warhorns aren’t used” part, we Necros love our Warhorn. A little more before the patch because our CDR trait for WH now competes with Vampiric Presence which is glorious combined with locust swarm (WH #5) and then switching into Deathshroud… But it is still a great off-hand.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

Knighthonor.4061

Warhorn looks like a Misty cloud.

could be a Revenant Mist Walker elite spec weapon instead of Ele elite spec weapon

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

I am ok with wh if i can use it as mainhand and chop mobs with it in melee range.

Leo G.4501

Meanwhile, not many weapons manage to clip through skirts when held, almost every single time. Warhorn is one of the few weapons that manage to do it. It’s probably the weapon type that has the most clipping in the game, whenever drawn or holstered.

Again, many weapons do the same or worse (clip with the ground while wielding and such). Clipping is hardly something you can simply pin on Warhorn. You can try but you’d have to be ignoring an awful lot of clipping to do that.

I’ll be on the fence if it’s really a Warhorn spec too. I never liked warhorns. They offer very limited potential for animations (Blow it, whack someone with it) while other weapons have jumps, rolls, sidesteps and all the different wielding stances. Warhorn suffers the same issues Torch has (animationwise you either whack something or you throw it) and Focus (That one basically has no animation at all besides “Wave you hand there”). Try to imagine a NEW and FUN animation for warhorn that doesn’t look like a kitten y idea of a 12 year old. I’ve been trying for years now and I simply can’t find anything – That weapon is just plain boring animationwise.

Well, jumping, rolling, and dodging is hardly something you can attribute to a sword either. Those things are mostly attributed to the character and how they utilize their weapon, not the weapon itself. You can have rolling, sidestepping, etc with a warhorn, after all.

And again, with these arguments about animations, it’s hardly fair when you’re overlooking all the recycled animations, redundant animations and weak particle effects. I mean, what about bows? All those animations are is point the bow forward and pull the string, point the bow up and pull the string, point the bow sideways and pull the string and pull the string faster and that’s across all professions that use them. You can hardly just look at animations for skills, especially ones that likely have wider effects. For those skills, it’s the particle fx that are the center point, not simply how the characters move.

I honestly don’t feel warhorn is a good idea as a elite spec weapon for anyone. They should stick with the sword or whatever else. Just not warhorn.

You say stick with? What makes you believe they were going that route but decided to change last minute?

Posted by: CobaltSixty.1542

CobaltSixty.1542

This is why datamining is dumb.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

I think it’s silly people judge everything on the weapon just because it’s the weapon, and they haven’t even seen the playstyle yet…

MauricioCezar.2673

Yep, that and the specialization Bg picure (Some ppl assume its a warhorn on mid of flames).

Can someone tell me wht he is referring to, please? There wasn’t a teaser picture for elementalist, so I don’t get which picture he meant.

http://i.imgur.com/AoGISvd.png

Posted by: ExiledDiclonius.1653

ExiledDiclonius.1653

Breaks my heart T_T
- Warhorn only fits with air element, (Blow water out of the horn? )

and shooting fire/water/air/earth from a stick makes more sense. worst argument ever

MauricioCezar.2673

Breaks my heart T_T

and shooting fire/water/air/earth from a stick makes more sense. worst argument ever

I think that someone is highly ignorant about what a stave is as a tool of channeling magic.

Duke Blackrose.4981

Breaks my heart T_T

I think that someone is highly ignorant about what a stave is as a tool of channeling magic.

I think someone is closed-minded in regards to how fantasy development works. THEY decide what does and doesn’t fit their profession. THEY decide how magic works and what can be used as a channeling tool. THEY shape the lore and workings of the world.

It just so happens that the way the developers view the nature of a class may be broader and more interesting than we traditionally see – and that’s part of the reason why I love this game and this universe.

Akuni.8604

Well, jumping, rolling, and dodging is hardly something you can attribute to a sword either. Those things are mostly attributed to the character and how they utilize their weapon, not the weapon itself. You can have rolling, sidestepping, etc with a warhorn, after all.

And again, with these arguments about animations, it’s hardly fair when you’re overlooking all the recycled animations, redundant animations and weak particle effects. I mean, what about bows? All those animations are is point the bow forward and pull the string, point the bow up and pull the string, point the bow sideways and pull the string and pull the string faster and that’s across all professions that use them. You can hardly just look at animations for skills, especially ones that likely have wider effects. For those skills, it’s the particle fx that are the center point, not simply how the characters move.

You say stick with? What makes you believe they were going that route but decided to change last minute?

Well I can also make up a bazillion arguments if I only respond to like half the other argument…

That aside, it does link to the weapon. If I block an attack with a sword there are a few possible animations: sidestep away from the blade (An evade) or pushing the enemy blade away, leaving the enemy open (Possible debuffs like weakness or vulnerability, short daze). Or I could just counter the blow of course.
Now let’s see the warhorn: If I dodge (An evade) it’s usually just the character moving except for the rare case of “I propel myself with the windenergy from my horn!” – Which falls to the kitten y 12-year-old cartoonish animations that don’t fit GW2 at all. Other movement skills? Pretty much the same. There’s really just blowing and hitting left.

Also, since you blissfully ignored that point: stances. I could lock out the sub-hand skills while performing a two-handed stab with a 1-handed sword. I can pose like a fencer with a small body window open and the sword pointing to the vital organs of my enemy. I can also have a more hunched together and relaxed sword-pose which is good at catching enemy blows from below and pushing them to the side. I figure you never watched different swordstyles, right? Compare that with a warhorn which is just… Well I guss I’m holding it in one hand. Or I can try to two-hand blow into it for a more cartoonish look while screwing myself over because my body would be wide open.
No. Warhorn has a lot less animation possibilities. That’s a fact. Deal with it.

I also want to highlight that the way you draw an arrow (From the back or from your leg depending where you have your quiver) aswell as lining up 1 or more arrows at the same time can be pretty different animations. Just because Anet was more than lazy with Bows is not an argument. It just shows how much potential future bow-wielders could have.

Oh ans “stick with or whatever” as in if they had sword, keep it if not take something else. I’m not set on sword, I’d gladly take axes, pistols and whatnot. Pushing phrasings is not a way you make yourself more valuable in a conversation. As many people with expierience on the web can assure you – Rule #1 of What do if you can’t win an argument: If you have no argument left against someone on the interwebs, insult his grammar!

Test.8734

Again, many weapons do the same or worse (clip with the ground while wielding and such). Clipping is hardly something you can simply pin on Warhorn. You can try but you’d have to be ignoring an awful lot of clipping to do that.

Again, very few weapons clip with skirts as bad as the warhorns. They’re one of the few (if not the only) weapon that is always held pointing down from the character’s hand; the only other weapon which does the same is the dagger, but only when it’s held in a reversed grip, which isn’t done by all professions nor in both hands. Ergo, it doesn’t really take a genius to easily understand how the warhorn is the worst weapon in the game, clipping with skirts-wise. You can try saying otherwise, but you’d have to be ignoring an awful lot of clipping to do that.

Posted by: thalolin.8901

thalolin.8901

I’m pretty sure someone on Reddit already data mined the ele sword skills a few months ago.

Duke Blackrose.4981

I’m pretty sure someone on Reddit already data mined the ele sword skills a few months ago.

To be fair, the datamined sword had very rough skills (most of them placeholders taken directly from Dagger) and could very easily be scrapped or put off till a future elite specialization.

Keep in mind that the datamined Revenant staff was way off of what they eventually went with. Datamines don’t set things in stone.

Knighthonor.4061

Sword mage already exists it’s called mesmer

I don’t actually think that much ppl see mesmer as sword mage tbh, mesmers are illusionists. But I got your point. Still, elementalist is the real mage within gw universe, or the most close to it.

Scholars are the Mages of GW universe. Mesmer happens to be a Scholar class. Making them a Mage as well as the Ele and Necro.

Posted by: Neodhoc.9178

Neodhoc.9178

PBAoE would sound thematically appropriate for ‘tempest’ and could very well be applied to warhorn. However elites apparently try to create new playstyles or support areas that the class is previously lacking – and elementalist isn’t exactly lacking in AoE DPS field. On the other hand I’m not really sure what field ele would be weakest on. There’s options for support, even heal, DPS, or you can build to be pretty durable. Well, I don’t play elementalist much, so it’s a bit difficult for me to judge.

The eles currently lack a direct melee damage weapon. Daggers are melee but they do AoE damage or damage in the form of cones (like dagger fire 5). That’s why we all want sword. The sword (appart from the fact that it’s way cooler than the kittenty warhorns) could fit that “direct damage” niche with attacks in the form of slashes and pierces.

P.S: It would REALLY suck to get a warhorn as an ele. I main an ele and I’ve been collecting sword skins since I saw that “Light armor character” in the HoT Trailer with a sword.

(edited by Neodhoc.9178)

Posted by: Inexplicable.4165

Inexplicable.4165

Okay, so you’re complaining about the warhorn even though it could have litterally ANY SKILLS. It makes no sense to me.

Your only arguments are ‘warhorns look bad’ and ’warhorn’s animations are bad’, which I don’t think it’s true, but it’s a matter of personal prefrence. You should at least wait for the tempest to be properly revealed before complaining….

To be honest though, if you want to quit the game just because of one of your elite specialisations getting the warhorn as an optional weapon, then please do. I just think it’s very silly.

Akuni.8604

Okay, so you’re complaining about the warhorn even though it could have litterally ANY SKILLS. It makes no sense to me.

Your only arguments are ‘warhorns look bad’ and ’warhorn’s animations are bad’, which I don’t think it’s true, but it’s a matter of personal prefrence. You should at least wait for the tempest to be properly revealed before complaining….

To be honest though, if you want to quit the game just because of one of your elite specialisations getting the warhorn as an optional weapon, then please do. I just think it’s very silly.

This is totally taken out of context. Please at least try to read through arguments before pushing them aside as nonsense as this gives zero input into the discussion.

There are several people who said already how warhorn fits the AoE and buff theme and that’s precisely not what the ele needs as elite spec which is meant to give you a new playstle.

And that’s on top of the warhorn being limited animationwise while also mostly having horrendous skins.

Stop being childish.

Duke Blackrose.4981

There are several people who said already how warhorn fits the AoE and buff theme and that’s precisely not what the ele needs as elite spec which is meant to give you a new playstle.

That’s a bit of a misconception. It can give you a new playstyle or highlight existing ones. The Chronomancer doesn’t give the Mesmer a brand new style – it only expands the current way of playing them. It’s an add on. The Reaper doesn’t give the Necromancer vastly different strengths. It merely builds on what they have. Only the Dragonhunter thus far takes its profession in a new direction.

Posted by: Inexplicable.4165

Inexplicable.4165

This is totally taken out of context. Please at least try to read through arguments before pushing them aside as nonsense as this gives zero input into the discussion.

And that’s on top of the warhorn being limited animationwise while also mostly having horrendous skins.

Stop being childish.

I’ve read through arguments, but most of them are really bad. Just because warhorn ‘fits the AoE and buff theme’ doesn’t mean, that’s what it’ll end up being. Heck, it could even be used as a burst melee weapon, you simply don’t know yet! As for the time being, we know practically nothing about tempest, so arguing that it won’t give you a new playstyle is just groundless.

Also, do you really think that because of this thread the devs will be like ‘Oh, we’ve been working on this spec for a year, but they clearly don’t like warhorns, so let’s just scrap everything and start over.’ Grow up.

Duke Blackrose.4981

Stop being childish.

I’ve read through arguments, but most of them are really bad. Just because warhorn ‘fits the AoE and buff theme’ doesn’t mean, that’s what it’ll end up being. Heck, it could even be used as a burst melee weapon, you simply don’t know yet! As for the time being, we know practically nothing about tempest, so arguing that it won’t give you a new playstyle is just groundless.

Also, do you really think that because of this thread the devs will be like ‘Oh, we’ve been working on this spec for a year, but they clearly don’t like warhorns, so let’s just scrap everything and start over.’ Grow up.

This very much so.

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

If it is warhorn my question would be, it is abundantly clear that it was never going to be a popular weapon type for eles so why choose it rather than say sword which appears may not be used in an elite spec by any class?

The first reaction of any ele I know to this rumour is extremely negative. If true it just points again to anets disconnection from their players.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

If the tempest is getting a warhorn I don’t think it’ll be very exciting.

What skills could that get? Pushes? Allied buffs? Sucking projectiles to release them back to the enemies? Puffing elementals? Calling clouds that cast THUN-DERS on enemies like scepter air 2?

I just don’t see it. But that other professions could go with suck a skin?

The only two things I really want to see in the future for elementalist are these:

“Fiery Fencer”

• Wiellds torch used to make an elemental ‘lightsaber’. You grab the torch with the main hand, and when the weapon is out, the attunement aura from your wrists goes through the torch to the fire, and forms a blade. Different attunements get different blades, which are also the name of the first skill in the autoattack sequence of each attunenemt:
    • Flame sword
    • Frostfire edge
    • Plama cutter
    • Obsidian blade
  • Other skills will include skill names like “Rodgort’s Invocation” and “Obsidian Flame”.
  • Why? Because it’s nothing but a shame that elementalists can’t use Rodgort, when they should the ones first in line having access to it.
    Utilities: Tricks or Physical skills.

“Master of Magick”

• A sword used as offhand while the main hand holds a staff. The sword will replace the last 2 skills of each attunement with two unique skills.
    • #4 has some effect based on attunement, but also ‘stores’ a charge of the current attunement as an effect. Up to 3 can be stored. They can be different ones, or stack the same one up to 3 times.
    • #5 has an effect based on attunement, but also releases the stored effects. The combination of stored attunements changes the results of the skill. Fire+fire+fire would do something different to fire+water+air.
  • Why this? Because Magicka, and because if this guy can do it, so should I!! Staff + Offhand sword! Wooooooh!
    Utilities: Glamours or Consecrations.
SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Leo G.4501

Ergo, it doesn’t really take a genius to easily understand how the warhorn is the worst weapon in the game, clipping with skirts-wise.

Apparently it does take a genius since you haven’t figured out for yourself that your argument is only working when you make specific exceptions aimed directly to make warhorn the worst-case scenario. In other realms of consideration, this would be known as a thinking trap. You don’t perceive warhorn as the worst because it is, you perceive it as the worst because you want it to be.

Now let’s see the warhorn: If I dodge (An evade) it’s usually just the character moving except for the rare case of “I propel myself with the windenergy from my horn!” – Which falls to the kitten y 12-year-old cartoonish animations that don’t fit GW2 at all. Other movement skills? Pretty much the same. There’s really just blowing and hitting left.

I’m not ignoring half the argument, you are. I’ll demonstrate this by proving your argument faulty:

Consider what a warhorn is. It’s an instrument to call, summon or rally. It’s a signal that utilizes sound and it amplifies your breath. If you want to block, what do you think such a tool would be used for to do something like that? It’d “call” something to block for you, like summoning a wall of stone to shield you. Or if you want to dodge, it could summon a burst of air to move you or conjure mystical flames to combust as you exit/enter (like in my 2 year old suggestion for Ele warhorn: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/elementalist/New-Elementalist-Weapon-Warhorn-Sword/first#post2140214). That being said, you don’t even have to blow on it. We’re talking about magic, after all. It is an instrument that amplifies, so why would you need to put your lips to it? What happens when you put some arcane energy into its mouthpiece instead of your lips (incantations don’t seem to be a thing in GW mechanics except for very specific spells (mantras))?

Also, since you blissfully ignored that point: stances.

Don’t take it as blissfully ignoring, just silently acknowledging. So a weapon such as sword can have stances. Okay, an instrument can use movements, tempos, styles rhythm and so much more. So what? Doesn’t make a lick of impact on your disposition nor does sword and stances (regarding the differences to warhorn) make a lick of impact on mine. When it all comes down to it, there won’t be stances for elementalist and if there were, Warrior should have gotten them first.

I also want to highlight that the way you draw an arrow (From the back or from your leg depending where you have your quiver) aswell as lining up 1 or more arrows at the same time can be pretty different animations. Just because Anet was more than lazy with Bows is not an argument. It just shows how much potential future bow-wielders could have.

Don’t bother trying to use this as an argument (since you apparently want to ‘win’) because the same applies to sword. So in such an instance, you’d throw away all that stuff you posted in your previous paragraph.

Oh ans “stick with or whatever” as in if they had sword, keep it if not take something else. I’m not set on sword, I’d gladly take axes, pistols and whatnot. Pushing phrasings is not a way you make yourself more valuable in a conversation. As many people with expierience on the web can assure you – Rule #1 of What do if you can’t win an argument: If you have no argument left against someone on the interwebs, insult his grammar!

Dunno what you’re talking about with insulting grammar (if I somehow mis-grammar’ed, it was likely auto-correct from typing on a cell phone). If that’s what it takes for you to ‘win’, I don’t think you ever were in the running at all. To bring the whole thing back full circle, I’m not against sword for elementalist, I’m against those against warhorn just because it’s not sword. You don’t have to like warhorn but you don’t even know what it’s capable of. Would be sweet if it was the “call and conjure” position manipulation off-hand to shoot maneuverability through the roof. Would give focus a run for its money without replacing it (Focus is kitten for movement).

Posted by: Raif.9507

Raif.9507

Apparently so, they did it with sword as they played with a sword concept. Also, yes I do hope they would. This is the debut of their new elite specializations and to bring a lame warhorn as the elementalists first weapon is in my opinion a bad move. It isn’t a highly wanted weapon on any class, it’s relatively meh in looks and animations (personal opinion). All this calling stuff up means channeling (if that is hte way they will go) sucks for PvP as you will get interrupted. If it’s AoE, it brings nothing new to the table, if it’s utility it is in competition with focus. If it has channeling AoE it’s in copmetition with staff and will be useles in PvP where you’re just asking to be interrupted.

There is possibility that ANet can do something interesting, skillwise. If someone other than Karl where in charge of it. That doesn’t combat the lame animations and bad skins (again, personal opinion) that will prevent me from using it.

Asharìa March – 80 Elementalist
Co-Guild Leader of Prime Defense on Sanctum of Rall – www.Primedefense.net

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

On thief focus:

Personally, I think this is something that could work. Thief skills do appear to have at least some dabbling with magic in there, and assassin skills from GW1 went beyond simple dabbling. A focus could work well as an offhand for a thief spec with a little more magic involved.

Swiftness is hardly a problem for elementalists, we have it in abudance. When I said mobility I meant to say repositioning in combat. Elementalists can move, specially if you consider our Fiery Shoes, but they have very limited options for repositioning in combat.

Compared to who?

Mesmer? If you’re going staff/sword+offhand, you’ll have an advance and a retreat. Blink is more or less equivalent to Lightning Flash. You might count short bursts of stealth, and there is Portal, but that’s on such a long cooldown it might as well be elite.

Guardian? They can get four teleport or leap skills, but their utility teleports (and Flashing Blade) are to fixed targets, and that limits them to melee more than dagger/dagger elementalist is. Granted, Mighty Blow has a pretty short recharge, but also a fairly short distance.

Warrior? Similar to guardian, if you invest everything into it, including exclusively committing to melee weapons, you can have four, and they’re all intended for charging.

Ranger? Sword gives a lot of mobility, and greatsword gives Swoop… having both is, again, committing to melee-only. Alternatively, shortbow 3 gives a retreat on a reasonably short recharge. Apart from that there’s Lightning Reflexes, which is on a long recharge.

Engineer? We’ve got potential here… rifle gives a retreat and a ground-targeted leap, there’s Rocket Boots, and there’s Acid Bomb with the Elixir Gun. Engineers can be pretty dynamic with this sort of setup.

Necromancer? You’ve got Dark Path, which is almost always not a skill you actually want to use unless you’re right about to drop out of Death Shroud and start daggering away. You can also use Spectral Walk and Necrotic Traversal as escape options. I don’t think anyone would seriously claim this is a top-tier option.

So, granted, the thief comes out ahead. That’s the thief’s schtick. Compared to everyone else, though? At worst, they’re roughly on par with the likes of mesmers and engineers, which puts them near the front of the pack for non-thief repositioning. In my experience, though, the only thing slipperier than a well-played elementalist is a well-played thief.

Granted, scepter/focus elementalist without mobility utilities can be a bit lacking. However, this would then be the player’s choice to take a low-mobility option, not a shortfall of the profession.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Raif.9507

Granted, scepter/focus elementalist without mobility utilities can be a bit lacking. However, this would then be the player’s choice to take a low-mobility option, not a shortfall of the profession.

Just going to focus on this bit here, Lightning Flash isn’t used for mobility in the Scepter/X setup, its used for making sure your Phoenix lands properly. It CAN be used for mobility, but it’s mostly not used for that and I’m quite sure the cooldown is longer than Mesmer blink.

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

40s versus 30s for Blink.

However, elementalist having a low-mobility build doesn’t alter my point (and, in fact, an offhand weapon is more likely to influence the mobility of scepter builds than a mainhand sword will…). As I listed last page, a dagger/dagger ele has four reposition options, and elementalists can completely load up their last four slots with mobility options (including taking a conjure to use the mobility option on the conjure) if they choose.

Not saying this is a GOOD build, but other professions have to make compromises for additional mobility as well.

Additionally, mesmers having probably the worst options for speed boosts among the classes (very few options for Swiftness and no option for a permanent 25% boost from a trait or signet) means that even if they come out at about the same ability to teleport around, their mobility outside of teleports is less (unless they take Traveler runes, in which case they’re not taking another set).

At the bottom line, the elementalist dagger/dagger set, especially when combined with traits and utilities, is, in my experience, probably the most mobile viable build in the game that isn’t a thief build. So I’m really not seeing how ‘elementalists need more mobility’ is a reason to bring in a new melee-oriented weapon.

(I recognise that there are plenty of others, but I’m really not seeing how anybody can say that the elementalist lacks mobility, unless the measure of comparison is the thief.)

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Raif.9507

40s versus 30s for Blink.

However, elementalist having a low-mobility build doesn’t alter my point (and, in fact, an offhand weapon is more likely to influence the mobility of scepter builds than a mainhand sword will…). As I listed last page, a dagger/dagger ele has four reposition options, and elementalists can completely load up their last four slots with mobility options (including taking a conjure to use the mobility option on the conjure) if they choose.

Not saying this is a GOOD build, but other professions have to make compromises for additional mobility as well.

Additionally, mesmers having probably the worst options for speed boosts among the classes (very few options for Swiftness and no option for a permanent 25% boost from a trait or signet) means that even if they come out at about the same ability to teleport around, their mobility outside of teleports is less (unless they take Traveler runes, in which case they’re not taking another set).

At the bottom line, the elementalist dagger/dagger set, especially when combined with traits and utilities, is, in my experience, probably the most mobile viable build in the game that isn’t a thief build. So I’m really not seeing how ‘elementalists need more mobility’ is a reason to bring in a new melee-oriented weapon.

(I recognise that there are plenty of others, but I’m really not seeing how anybody can say that the elementalist lacks mobility, unless the measure of comparison is the thief.)

You listed updraft and Mist form as a mobility utility. Updraft isn’t used for re-positioning (that isn’t what it is, it’s a CC, it’s a blowou.) and mist form is an invulnerability. That’s like saying Elixer R or the guardian heal Shelter is for mobility. And no one in PvP will take Air signet as it is very lackluster and will not give you anything that your traits already do, especially since the removal of Fire Aura on signet use was removed.

I am not arguing whether or not the elementalist needs more mobility, I was just pointing out flaws in your points and offering information from someone who actually plays the class and isn’t reading things off of a wikipedia list. Dual dagger is very mobile, it should be and no one would argue that it needs more mobility. The only thing in that regards would be the change to RtL as it no longer needs the hit/miss cooldown thing, but that is a slightly different discussion.

Mesmer, while it has no option for a permanent 25% speed boost like the Signet of Air, does have a plethora of blinks, stealth (as short as it is) low cooldown invulnerability on weapon sets and is a higher armor class and health pool. It doesn’t need the extra mobility that the elementalist needs as that is what it survives on. Mobility, heals and boons over stealth, blinks, higher armor and health Different survivability mechanics for different classes are what make them unique.

Now if we look at the Scepter burst builds they lack one thing that a sword would definitely add over (what I believe) warhorn can add and that is an evade/blink style of play that is no longer dependant on protection, regen and healing. Such a fighter with the low health and armor that an elementalist has would have to depend on in combat mobility (style thief) as it would have no stealth (stealth on ele in any form would be way too OP).

Also, warrior using Sword/anything is almost as mobile with 1 skill. Add in Warhorn for them and it’s very mobile. “Nike” builds in WvW are very common for roaming warriors and are impossible to catch.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

There is absolutely nio problem for me with it, when Anet decided to reiterate their original Elementalist E-Spec design from a Sword user to a Warhorn User, makes anyway alot more thematically sense for a kind of Conjurer/Summoner, who creates supernatural elemental powers in form of various storms to use for that a Warhorn to call and summon these powers to appear.

Also don’t forget, that GW2 will have in the future for all main Professions far more than just only 1 E-Spec. they all will receive with upcoming Feature Packs/Add Ons more Elite-Specializations cough Sub Classes, to play around with.

So its very highly likely that the Elementalist simply will receive the Sword in the next E-Spec round and turns with them into a different Sub Class, that s for more from ground up designed to be some kind of “Battle Mage”, who combats with a Sword in melee range in a far more arcane way with the Elements by using more elemental conjured weapons and using elemental shields and auras as an “Arcanist” would do that, using also a new 5th neutral Element then as F5, the Ether Attunement to use more element neutral ether based arcane skills that can be used as preparations to create when changing back to an elemental attunement to create lots of new conjured elemental weapons.

Something for example like a wind scythe (Staff), or a water pistol (lol).

To me is the E-Spec (“Summoner”), which is all about Storms basically the E-Spec, that specializes on Conjures, Signets and Cantrips.
While an Arcanist would be more the E-Spec that specializes on Arcane Skills, Glyphs and Auras.

Wasn’t also there the speech about an E-Spec that will receive 6 Signets? I think the best fit for that would be then the first Ele E-Spec with a Warhorn to call quickly their storms and control them via activating their signets in a special way, while profitating from various passive effects while you don’t use the storms so that you can concentrate yourself more on your weapon skills and elemental attunements more.

However, we will see, under the current infos I think the last specs will be like this:

Ele = Warhorn
Thief = Staff also(or maybe Druid has been reiterated to get not anymore Staff, but Scepter or Focus??), current datamined thief pics show them with something that looks clearly like a Bo-Staff and not like a rifle and a monk outfit is coming), so its possible that anet will turn Thieves into martial artistic Brawlers perhaps, what would be the perfect specialization around acrobatics xD
Warrior = Torch (but Berserker and Torch.. kind of weird, under a Beserker I woudl expect a new Weapon, like Great Axes…, however, Torch is the Symbol of War basically, as its Fire and Balthazar the God of War is also God of Fire, maybe the fire of the torch can bring the warrior’s adrenaline to a kind of Berserker’s Blood Rush Mode, when havign full adrenaline g)
Revenant = Shortbow (theres the concept art, that shows the Rev usign a bow and there has been yet no talking about it, that this bow is useable from begin on, nor if that concept is really a Rev, or not maybe its unspoken E-Spec) together with somethign that looks like a backpack.
Forger = Hammer, but thats I think still clear and won’t change…

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/thumb/1/18/Revenant_02_concept_art.jpg/350px-Revenant_02_concept_art.jpg

@ mithran: lol, your suggestions.. and eles have 3 hands …Master of Magick ,what a nonsense…2h staff and sword wielding at the same time xD

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

(edited by Orpheal.8263)

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

@Orpheal

That link you posted shows a Revenant with a sword, not a shortbow.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.