Spoiler end of story: Are you happy now?,

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

So ArenaNet listened to all the whiners who needed to be commanders and gods and whatever, and killed Trehearne… awesome. You made it clap clapclap

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Flat tone of voice

“This won’t end well.”

Posted by: AWACS.6537

AWACS.6537

It was great to kill him off.
This was payback from Clawr Island.

No.

Posted by: Traced.3495

Traced.3495

I’m never going to be happy again.

let the sky fall

Posted by: PSX.9250

PSX.9250

Never understood the hate Trahearne got, i was sad at the ending

Posted by: Calcifire.1864

Calcifire.1864

Flat tone of voice

“This won’t end well.”

“For you.”

Posted by: Spirited Was Eceni.3869

Spirited Was Eceni.3869

I’m more concerned with what happened to Eir Stegalkin. I’ve not reached much past that in the story as I left HoT a week ago and haven’t been back.

Does Trahearne get killed or do we fight and kill him?

“Judge a person’s character by how they behave when given anonymity.”

Welcome to the Internet, exposing characters since the early 80’s.

Posted by: Lis.6475

Lis.6475

Yes.
Frankly it was the best time I’ve ever spent with a party.

Posted by: Odokuro.5049

Odokuro.5049

I was glad that we got to end Trehearne…

Soon as he enters YOUR personal story he takes it completely over, and you become his mascot errand boy, running around doing it all, and he takes credit for it…

And making us “Commander” of the Pact? Right, more like Participation Award of the Pact….

The Self-Proclaimed Pervy Sage of Yaks Bend.
https://www.twitch.tv/amazinphelix

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I found it funny, cuz a lot of people wished they could kill him and voilà, they did it. I never had bad feelings about him, I liked him. ‘Taking the credit’ is not so true, he always appreciates your doings and never imposes himself as the self-proclaimed and sole killer of Zhaitan.

People seem to be full of testosterone and want to be the hero, imo this is a very immature behaviour: where in life are we the heroes?

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Mortifer.2946

I found it funny, cuz a lot of people wished they could kill him and voilà, they did it. I never had bad feelings about him, I liked him. ‘Taking the credit’ is not so true, he always appreciates your doings and never imposes himself as the self-proclaimed and sole killer of Zhaitan.

People seem to be full of testosterone and want to be the hero, imo this is a very immature behaviour: where in life are we the heroes?

this

Posted by: Icdan Sevaen.4628

Icdan Sevaen.4628

Funny thing is that he never took credit, he always gave it to you. Always was saying we would have come nowhere without you.

Mortifer.2946

I guess we can thank people like Odokuro

Posted by: Urosh Uchiha.9732

Urosh Uchiha.9732

I actually yelled “NO!” at my monitor when we were about to kill him. I also liked him. Never had a problem with him.

But I guess some things never change. Majority of the community comes to the forums to whine, ANet has to make their wishes come true. Proven over and over again

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

As for taking credit, he does do exactly that. Remember after the battle of Lion’s Arch and you guys are talking about Fort Trinity? Yeah, you came up with this neat idea and named it Fort Trinity. Then when he goes and talks to the other Orders, he says straight up, “Which I have named Fort Trinity”. No we, or you, just simply I.

The Personal Story was supposed to be about your story (it even says that at the beginning), and then when Trahearne shows up, it ends up becoming about his journey. You go out and do all the work, but he gets all the credit for “leading” the Pact. You end up being a basic soldier in his army, and in your own story. But you still make all the choices, yet he is the one who gets the praise still.

Yeah I get why he is there, I mean “Mah Lorez” and stuff cause you can’t have xXNarutoXx or SwagLord99 in the actual story leading an army to defeat Zhatian, but still. The way he was done was poor in my opinion.

I never wanted him to die though. And the story actually caught me off guard when it was time, and was like, wait wait, what? I didn’t want it to end like that.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

(edited by SpyderArachnid.5619)

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

People didn’t as much hate Trahearne for taking the credit, as much for being lifeless, useless and with a terrible, terrible voice acting. It was one of the worst characters I’ve met in video games.

Posted by: Hypergrip.9673

Hypergrip.9673

I always found the claims that Trahearne was some kind of “Kormir 2.0” immature and largely unfounded. During the Zaithan story, his character suffered from a couple of badly written lines, and sub-par voice acting. The biggest problem might have been the fact that a lot of other characters tell us about “that one time back then when he totally saved my kitten ”, etc., but we don’t get to see the rather bookish Trahearne do such things while we are with him.

The important thing – at least to me – however is that he does threat us (= the player character) with respect, he gives us plenty of credit for the things we do for the pact (while Trahearne is stuck doing strategy stuff – do players really envy him for doing all that organizing stuff instead of being out in the field?), he seeks our council, lets us hear his thoughts, and in general treats us like a friend!

Compare that to, for example, Caithe, who betrayed us, stole from us, and does even take a second and try to explain her motives to us – after all the things we did for her during the Zaithan story, like rescuing her from Faolin, reuniting her “worst soap opera cast in tyrian history”-type of guild, and taking down an Elder Dragon! I’d rather having Trahearne at my side than her any day.

I can’t say was surprised to see Trahearne die at the end of HoT ( I predicted Trahearne, Zoija, and Eir dying. 2/3 I guess…). The moment you see him in that vine pod, you know he’s not coming back out. But I do wish they would have given Trahearne a little bit more agency – he opens the “portal” to the mordrem dream for us, allowing us to strike at Mordremoth’s weak spot; decent enough storytelling. Now imagine after we defeated Mordremoth Trahearne would have told us, he couldn’t be separated from the vines anymore BECAUSE he did that dream portal thing. That would have turned his actions from a were plot device into an actual willing sacrifice, and, in my opinion, a stronger (and more worthy) death.

What I really dislike is how there is no epilogue whatsoever – and no, those few lines your comrades say to you after you are put back into the map don’t count, and the cinematic, while pretty, is a classical sequel hook, not an epilogue. I would have expected a ceremony to commemorate all the pact soldiers that died fighting the mordrem, including the pact marshal. He earned that much during the Zaithan story alone. And I would have also like to see a more personal epilogue between the player character and the companions, checking in with Taimi, Logan/Zoija, etc. And bringing back Caladbolg to the Grove. When I saw that item after the mission I was sure I would be going to bring it “home” to honor my dead friend. Turns out it’s just a souvenir from when you finally we allowed to shank that stupid salad who always stole the spotlight from you. It’s very disappointing.

Brains over Brawn [Geek]
Eine familiäre, erwachsene, PvX-orientierte Feierabend-Gilde auf Flussufer/Riverside

Posted by: Bambi.6184

Bambi.6184

Yes i am quite happy about it. This kitten guy who bugged in all over my characters at least 10 story missions and forced me to start them new finally got what he deserves for this kitten. I am pleased that he is really dead after i yelled it many times at him on times he only stand arround and didnt move like a kitten plant.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Rurik….
Togo…
Kormir…

…Trahearne…

Suuuuuure there’s no pattern there. (We even got to put Rurik down) Not surprised in the least.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

I’m not sad that he’s gone, but I really would have preferred for him to turn horribly evil, and had a really hard, but fun battle, kicking his tuckus. The mercy killing was anti-climactic, and kinda made me feel bad for wanting him dead to begin with.
But he’s gone, and I’m not unhappy about it at all.

What I AM upset about is that I died, and was stuck in that blasted cage-nest when Tybalt came in, and I never even got to see him

Posted by: Naevius.3185

Naevius.3185

My dream of stomping him with the cow finisher is shattered.

I actually never disliked the character, I just thought it bad that as ‘Commander of the Pact’ you were little more than his assistant. The new story-telling is much better.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

So ArenaNet listened to all the whiners who needed to be commanders and gods and whatever, and killed Trehearne… awesome. You made it clap clapclap

Yes, very ^_^

Compare that to, for example, Caithe, who betrayed us, stole from us, and does even take a second and try to explain her motives to us – after all the things we did for her during the Zaithan story, like rescuing her from Faolin, reuniting her “worst soap opera cast in Tyrian history”-type of guild, and taking down an Elder Dragon! I’d rather having Trahearne at my side than her any day.

It wasn’t a true betrayal though. It was a tough choice for her and she used her judgment knowing what she did would be frowned upon but nevertheless still for the greater good. Faolin though is bad and was why the centaurs attacked them when looking for Caithe’s sister.

(edited by Agemnon.4608)

Posted by: frayon.3984

frayon.3984

Actually, no, no I wasn’t happy with the way the story ended or killing Trehearne. I loved his character and the way he was always “best friend” and mentor feel if we played Sylvari. I knew we were going to kill him because soooo many people wanted it, but honestly out of the two first born we interact with as Sylvari mains (outside of the grand duchess), I dislike Caithe a lot more. There was always an unwillingness and gratitude about Trehearne in the story I loved.

Was he the best character ever? No.

The way they killed him off in the story left me at the end of it going “…” it was unsatisfying, harsh, and rather poorly handled. As a player who mains Sylvari and only has three of my nine eighties not being sylvari, I will say, I hated the ending. The way his death is handled doesn’t tell us how Mordemoth is a seed in his head (was it opening the gate into the dream?) or really anything else. We just kill him with catablog and end up with the shattered pieces of the sword in our inventory (not deleting it ever /cries ).

I feel it was handled such that many Trehearne haters might not even be okay with it at all since they didn’t get smash his face in. And such that those of us who actually either didn’t mind him or loved him, were left with a sour taste in our mouths by the end of the story.

It is going to take me a long time to go back through that part of the story with my alts and for the achieves.

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Compare that to, for example, Caithe, who betrayed us, stole from us, and does even take a second and try to explain her motives to us

As I was telling a friend last night, Caithe’s motives are not as confusing if you played Sylvari because you already understand the Wyld Hunt. You had your own Wyld Hunt in the first act of your personal story and so when Trahearne steps into your story and proclaims his Wyld Hunt is to cleanse Orr you can 100% relate. If you played core as another race, your Act 1 racial narrative doesn’t get integrated as deeply into the main narrative as does Sylvari’s.

Going further about the Wyld Hunt, when Sylvaris were revealed as minions of Mordremoth, everyone’s Wyld Hunt became suspect to me. Sylvaris lead the attack on Zhaitan and the Marshal’s Wyld Hunt was to cleanse Orr. Sylvari were uncorruptable by Zhaitan. Were the Sylvari a “plant” by Mordremoth to destroy a rival Elder Dragon? I wonder if Trahearne felt extremely manipulated.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

Posted by: Dagaz.5721

Dagaz.5721

This is the only thing that I appreciate since GRR Martin works for ANet . Well, Eir …. different story. I hope he will decide the same fate written for Jon Snow.

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

Let’s just say I’m gonna hang onto my broken Caladbolg as a memento.
Overall I wish there was some kind of debrief after that.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

Posted by: suffish.4150

suffish.4150

To be honest I was convinced that trahearne would die before HoT even launched because the majority of players didn’t like him (don’t have a clue why, I was indifferent to him like I am to most other characters, I can’t say I dislike any character though). And when we found only Logan and Zojja in the first 2 pods in mission 15 that 100% confirmed trahearne’s fate to me. Something I still don’t understand was why he was hidden so far away and even above that helix thing when L and Z were much easier to get to. Didn’t make much sense to me other than for giving that as a reason (an excuse, even) for why we could save the other 2 but not him. Overall though, very good storytelling throughout the expansion, though it should have been longer in my opinion. That will definitely be fixed for me in living world season 3 however.

PvP- Stronlo Beastmaster (Ranger)
PvE- Grolex (Warrior)
PvP rank: 20 Rating: 1864 (season 7)

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

I’d point out that Trahearne is a plant being. Maybe a stick got pruned and can be grown back or something.

Mesmerising Girl

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I was glad that we got to end Trehearne…

Soon as he enters YOUR personal story he takes it completely over, and you become his mascot errand boy, running around doing it all, and he takes credit for it…

And making us “Commander” of the Pact? Right, more like Participation Award of the Pact….

None of what you just said is true. At no point during “your” personal story are you working for yourself, except maybe the 20-30 missions.

At no point does Trehearne take any credit for anything you do. At every point does Trehearne and EVERYONE ELSE praise you for how much you’ve done.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Agemnon.4608

I think a good way to bring Trahearne back would be as an NPC resource gatherer we interact with in our home instance. You would buy the Trahearne skin for it and when the day starts you get your resources (chance of failing for rarer stuff, but success depends on your magic find starting from a base of 0%)

You would pay 20s per run and the idea is to lessen crafting burden and allow the player to play the game (but still gather resources himself for extra). Other gemstore gatherer skins would be werewolf, Taimi, Tybalt, a random husk, and Queen Jenna.

Posted by: Loboling.5293

Loboling.5293

Endless Trahearn gathering tool. Says some of his boring speeches during gathering.

“We do this together”
“This is my wild hunt”
“Commander, to me”
“I am no soldier”
“Mordemoth calls to me”
“This plant looks like my cousin”

etc.

I’d buy it, especially if when you gathered you had a chance at “ruined plant parts” as a memento to Trahearn.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Now imagine after we defeated Mordremoth Trahearne would have told us, he couldn’t be separated from the vines anymore BECAUSE he did that dream portal thing. That would have turned his actions from a were plot device into an actual willing sacrifice, and, in my opinion, a stronger (and more worthy) death.

I’ve not gotten that far in the story yet, but that’s what I was expecting. They don’t even give him that? Lame.

I guess they figured that if they could stuff an entire norn into the ’fridge, they could find room for a sylvari in the crisper drawer.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Daralii.8940

Daralii.8940

I find it really funny that some people are so thoroughly enraged because a video game character is a higher rank than them in a fictional organization and that ANet is so spineless that they felt the need to cater to them by killing off a character.

Jesus Christ, go outside and reevaluate your life.

Posted by: tobascodagama.2961

tobascodagama.2961

Going further about the Wyld Hunt, when Sylvaris were revealed as minions of Mordremoth, everyone’s Wyld Hunt became suspect to me. Sylvaris lead the attack on Zhaitan and the Marshal’s Wyld Hunt was to cleanse Orr. Sylvari were uncorruptable by Zhaitan. Were the Sylvari a “plant” by Mordremoth to destroy a rival Elder Dragon? I wonder if Trahearne felt extremely manipulated.

This presumes that the Elder Dragons are in competition somehow. Which, maybe they are, but I don’t think we’ve seen any non-ambiguous evidence of this.

Rather, I think the Pale Tree is genuinely interested in opposing all Elder Dragons, much like Glint apparently was. It’s just that Zhaitan was the most active threat at the time of the PS, hence the number of Wyld Hunts that revolve around combating Zhaitan.

Amberley Avalen – Charr Mesmer
Tanya Larina – Human Thief
Finchy Whyte – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

This presumes that the Elder Dragons are in competition somehow. Which, maybe they are, but I don’t think we’ve seen any non-ambiguous evidence of this.

Rather, I think the Pale Tree is genuinely interested in opposing all Elder Dragons, much like Glint apparently was. It’s just that Zhaitan was the most active threat at the time of the PS, hence the number of Wyld Hunts that revolve around combating Zhaitan.

The real question is whether your (for those characters that are Sylvari) or Caithe’s wyld hunt ever had anything to do with Zhaitan. I played through HoT with a new Sylvari I’d made specifically for going into HoT and the dragon I fought in the dream definitely wasn’t related to Zhaitan.

The Pale Tree always knew about Mordremoth. It’s entirely possible that she knew the time was coming and so your Wyld Hunt was always intended to be Mordremoth. But since you didn’t know about it and she wasn’t going to tell you if she could help it, she let you think it was Zhaitan, because what would it hurt if you got a little elder dragon killing under your wings before going for the real prize.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Rurik….
Togo…
Kormir…

…Trahearne…

Suuuuuure there’s no pattern there. (We even got to put Rurik down) Not surprised in the least.

Ha. And you’re also missing about 40 other major characters. Anet really likes to kill off its characters. They need to come up with some new hardships to add drama to the lives of their NPCs, right now we just know the drama comes from a death.

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

Yes indeed i am, i got the darn sword that should be mine in the first place (even if its just a 1 hand sword version rather then a gs and its also broken and i cant use it as engi but watch me give a kitten, for me its more the thought behind it), that darn spotlight stealing, as pact leader unfit radish who dared to command me, a darn iron legion zenturio with leadership and war experience arround bit the dust, i didnt see nor hear him till the end and actually gave the darn orders for once… even effin rytlock brimstone took my orders i mean omg how epic… and i was able to fight with tybalt side by side one last time what was the highlight for me. So yea.. everything is nice now, my universe is in order again and my dignity got restored…thanks a-net.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I am glad that Trahearne is gone. I will be happier still if it becomes clear that he was killed off, not as a knee-jerk reaction to being disliked by some portion of the player base, but rather because Anet is committing to better character writing going forward and have realized that this particular character carried too much baggage to be salvaged.

I do not blame Trahearne for stealing credit for anything as I am unaware of an instance in which he did so. I do consider him to be a poorly conceived and terribly implemented character on almost every level. He actively detracted from the experience of the story for me and so I am glad to see him go.

For those who liked Trahearne, my condolences. Hopefully characters introduced in the future will appeal to you while also being better written, or at least less obnoxiously written, for others.

Agemnon.4608

I find it really funny that some people are so thoroughly enraged because a video game character is a higher rank than them in a fictional organization and that ANet is so spineless that they felt the need to cater to them by killing off a character.

Jesus Christ, go outside and reevaluate your life.

Thoroughly enraged is a gross overstatement, we are “merely” a bit annoyed.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Rurik….
Togo…
Kormir…

…Trahearne…

Ha. And you’re also missing about 40 other major characters. Anet really likes to kill off its characters. They need to come up with some new hardships to add drama to the lives of their NPCs, right now we just know the drama comes from a death.

I was keeping the list short lol.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Bolbo Baggins.8594

Bolbo Baggins.8594

Regretably they did exactly the same as with Scarlet. Fan service for the vocal part of the community, certainly not the whole community. It certainly is something of the last years, not only games, but everywhere. Facilitating to the wining internet vocal community.

Posted by: Kingdarkshadow.3175

Kingdarkshadow.3175

WOOOHOOOO Best spoiler ever, I’m so tempted to buy HoT now.

Mortifer.2946

on the side note: what do you thing about visual appearance of Mordremoth? The thing we saw in the dream was just some avatar, and Mordremoth itself doesn’t look like a dragon at all, and in fact, he is just a continent-big plant? WTF? Why is he called dragon?

Posted by: Gawna.6519

Gawna.6519

It was pretty much the best thing that has ever happened to me.

Gawna . Gawnaball . Gawnapewpew . Gawnapick . Mamadapolis
NSFW : Dragonbrand

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Rurik….
Togo…
Kormir…

…Trahearne…

I was keeping the list short lol.

By Ogden’s hammer, that’s a short list.

Posted by: Rucent.4752

Rucent.4752

I was pretty happy.

Posted by: hardy.7469

hardy.7469

It was meh. I think both his death and Eirs were there just to have someone die. Like Quicksilver in AoU.

The stakes needed to be high, so someone had to die, so I guess Anet though both characters were expendable or felt they had nowhere to go with them story wise.

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

Rurik….
Togo…
Kormir…

…Trahearne…

Ah but there IS. They were all ungrateful whiny jerks . I still want my Dwarven Ale kitten it ! Rurik was such a cheapskate

Posted by: Frigoris.7853

Frigoris.7853

What if they killed off Eir so she could be the revs next elite spec…

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

What if they killed off Eir so she could be the revs next elite spec…

they never should have done it in the first place and the way they did it was craptacular at best . If they were going to do it they should of at least had her go out in a blaze of glory not like….that ….