Taking Grind to a whole new Level

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: ZERONIX.5873

ZERONIX.5873

I don’t mind grind or wvw but I absolutly refuse to do pvp never have liked pvp never will in any game.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

I don’t mind grind or wvw but I absolutly refuse to do pvp never have liked pvp never will in any game.

I think the way it’s usually done is people will (roughly) AFK through the PvP match while they watch TV (or something similar), so you wouldn’t really be doing PvP.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

So you DO understand that sometimes you have to play things you do not like, you are just quibbling about specific numbers (that you made up in your head at this point)?

Yes, this is mostly how life works.

After reading your posts its pretty clear you want the game to reward whatever YOU would like for the type of content you are currently doing.

Yes, this is true for most people.

I only wanted to defeat Bowser. Therefore all of Super Mario 64 was a grind as I did not enjoy everything else leading up to it.

That’s a pity, you probably shouldn’t have bothered, but who am I to judge? What did you have against Bowser anyways that you would slog your way through Mario 64 just to kill him?

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I only wanted to defeat Bowser. Therefore all of Super Mario 64 was a grind as I did not enjoy everything else leading up to it.

That’s a pity, you probably shouldn’t have bothered, but who am I to judge? What did you have against Bowser anyways that you would slog your way through Mario 64 just to kill him?

Nothing. It was just rewarding to beat him and everything else leading up to it was a grind as I did not enjoy it.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

If people aren’t using or are misinterpreting the definition of grind Anet uses to define the concept of their game, then what those people say isn’t really relevant.

Ohoni.6057

Nothing. It was just rewarding to beat him and everything else leading up to it was a grind as I did not enjoy it.

That’s sad, I hope you have better luck with other games.

done by now.”

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

That’s sad, I hope you have better luck with other games.

I hope you have better luck with other games as well.

Ohoni.6057

I hope you have better luck with other games as well.

Thank you, a lot of people around here have been downright insulting about it.

done by now.”

Posted by: Eirdyne.9843

Eirdyne.9843

To Ohoni… “Don’t put your hopes in humanity to have respect for itself. It’s been a long string of disappointments. Internet forums are the best example of humanity at running on default.”

The OP is right though, I’ve been stuck on Mawdrey for a year. Nothing to do with what I did. The silly the quest broke shortly after release and the game just will not give over to a Cultivated Seed: this with Anet’s assistance.

I wrote to them today to say that, paraphrasing, ‘in the future you should try to avoid making such convoluted content’. And convoluted is exactly the word I used. It’s bugged, it’s bugged somewhere deep, and they can’t find it. Multiply this to the soon-to-be Precursor Crafting system and all it is a boat load of “Not Fun” for everyone.

Here’s a good way to do Precursors:
http://gaheris.net/vos/

It’s tried, true, and works.

1 – you go out into the world and find an Artifact.
This artifact is essentially your Legendary weapon, except it’s broke and does one damage; like the Cursed Dark Sword in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

2 – you now have to collect fragments of the stories about this weapon, scattered all over the world, from certain mobs and a random drop.

3 – you must go out into the world and kill something lore related to this weapon to ‘active’ this weapon.

4 – you can now proceed to craft the weapon.

5 – you must level (use) the weapon to bring it to its full potential

6 – Weapon reaches max level: precursor acquired. you can now begin crafting your legendary weapon.

See? Easy peezy. No gnashing of teeth, no kittening around in the LA for four months hating the Devs, hating your life, and not playing.

Every time I’ve crafted a Legendary I’ve ended up disgusted with the game by the end of it and quit for several months. I had a full group of friends playing last year who were all doing legendaries at the same time and they are still not back for just this reason. What it sounds like the devs have planned isn’t going to improve any of that.

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

I guess I should put a more thorough post in the interest of honesty.

My opinion on the matter is pretty heavily colored from my past experiences in games.

I played a necromancer in EQ1. One of the things that made summoning classes in EQ1 so interesting to me was the fact that you needed reagents to cast your summons. (which in a way could be considered your class mechanic). For the necromancer that involved certain types of bones. Now you could either A. Get them from a reagent merchant or B. Get them from creatures of a certain type and level that dropped your required form of bone. I was always bad at managing money in games so B ended up being my primary method.

What this meant was i usually spent around 30 minutes a day gathering reagents. At the time this wasn’t really considered a grind from the community. It was simply a part of being a necromancer that was low on cash. But by todays standards im certain it would be considered a grind by a large percentage of the population (u.u).

I feel that similar experiences are causing a disconnect among the players in this thread. Many of us have different definitions for what grinding is. For me the first thing I ever considered a grind was the first time I did a deity quest line in one of the EQ games. This was a significant time investment that involved me doing rather difficult content often on my own. Which can be dangerous because necro pets weren’t as tanky as magician pets so I couldn’t mindlessly rely on them to pull/root for me.

I died dozens of times attempting the same step before finally getting it. In my eyes. That was a grind. Driving myself against a wall until the wall cracked or I became able to climb over it. But in todays standard thats the typical raiding experience. And its the kind of content many people desire.

So it’s an interesting convo from my perspective.

I can see the OP’s point. But at the same time part of me doesn’t recognize the subject matter as a “grind” so I can’t truly respect it u.u. So part of me is unsure how to react to the post.

Ghost Yak

Posted by: sicsempertyrannis.3510

sicsempertyrannis.3510

If people aren’t using or are misinterpreting the definition of grind Anet uses to define the concept of their game, then what those people say isn’t really relevant.

Whoa there, that’s one big, ugly logical fallacy my friend. Please try to debate in a respectful manner, without dismissive rhetoric.

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

Whoa there, that’s one big, ugly logical fallacy my friend. Please try to debate in a respectful manner, without dismissive rhetoric.

Just came into this conversation. So I’m clueless atm. Explain?

NSPride <3

Posted by: BaconofPigs.1683

BaconofPigs.1683

So you DO understand that sometimes you have to play things you do not like, you are just quibbling about specific numbers (that you made up in your head at this point)?

Yes, this is mostly how life works.

After reading your posts its pretty clear you want the game to reward whatever YOU would like for the type of content you are currently doing.

Yes, this is true for most people.

Yup, here you admitted it. Your entire threads and subsequent posts are nothing but for your own personal gain. You don’t want to play the game as it is intended to be played. Just the reward. Yep!

Ohoni.6057

Yup, here you admitted it. Your entire threads and subsequent posts are nothing but for your own personal gain. You don’t want to play the game as it is intended to be played. Just the reward. Yep!

You want the same. You’re just in the lucky position that they seem to be offering you what you want without having to ask for it. That does not make you more virtuous for defending the status quo.

done by now.”

Posted by: Zach.2618

Zach.2618

I thought grinding was when you rubbed up against two strange girls in the club?!?

according to ohoni it is a grind because you only want what’s gonna happen at the end and not the process of buying them drinks. Life is such a grind.

I think you might be confusing grind with bump.

…boom….tish!

I’ve been told some feel better grinding than bumping lol. kitten we gotta stop this now, we’re gonna get infracted and banned from the forums.

Obtena.7952

Just came into this conversation. So I’m clueless atm. Explain?

Yeah, I’m wondering this too … why is my statement a fallacy> Anet has created the game around THEIR ideas of what it should be, not the random whims of players … so why does it make sense for players to evaluate the Anet and the game based on things that aren’t relevant to how the game is conceived? That’s not dismissive rhetoric … that’s reasonable fundamentals.

Posted by: Mahou.3924

Mahou.3924

You want the same. You’re just in the lucky position that they seem to be offering you what you want without having to ask for it. That does not make you more virtuous for defending the status quo.

Bingo. Too bad that a few posters are so in love with themselves that they simply refuse to see their own ego/shortcomings or the chance that they could actually be wrong.

Obtena.7952

Bingo. Too bad that a few posters are so in love with themselves that they simply refuse to see their own ego/shortcomings or the chance that they could actually be wrong.

Bingo that people choose a game that appeals to their sense of fun and achievement when others do not? Is that serious?

Honestly, Anet does not cater to moulding a product to every customers desires. If someone thinks the game doesn’t live up to their standards, you find a different product to play.

Posted by: Kevan.8912

Kevan.8912

Bingo. 3yrs ago people chose a game that appealed their preferences.
Then came those who wanted another wow grindy game.
the rest of the story, you know.

It’s how things go, probably anet decided that it was convenient to satisfy the latter audience, losing the other.
Obviously who don’t feel ok about it will BOTH quit – AND ask for a change of direction.
And when feel it’s enough or it’ll be (even) more evident that this shift is not reversibile, THEN leave the forum too. Exactly when he means to

(edited by Kevan.8912)

Posted by: Samhayn.2385

Samhayn.2385

Bingo that people choose a game that appeals to their sense of fun and achievement when others do not? Is that serious?

Honestly, Anet does not cater to moulding a product to every customers desires. If someone thinks the game doesn’t live up to their standards, you find a different product to play.

People chose this game with stuff like no grind and best gear by 80 being the direction of the game.

Then ascended was added and it was all, it’s a minor upgrade, you don’t really need it, nothing balanced around it blah blah blah. So people like me pop on and off do some wvw and some spvp. Do events but don’t repeat them or fame them for gear and we are ok.

Now we have yet another set of gear being released and content that is being balanced around a set of gear the was not supposed to be and we were told we didn’t really need.

People have the right to complain. What they have been told and what has happened do not coincide.

It was 2 vs 20 but its ok we got’em both!

Posted by: SirMoogie.9263

SirMoogie.9263

My simple question to ANET, why are you trying to create a grindfest in a game that simply does not need one? Why are you trying to do that every other MMO ends up doing — adding layers of grind to create pseudo-content?

Content requires capital to create, which requires money to pay employees. To generate money they need players playing the game and using the in game store/paying for a subscription. Properly gating players from content is a tried and true method of keeping players invested in the game longer while new content is under development. Masteries are a gating system. Gear acquisition is a gating system. Leveling is a gating system.

With infinite resources an MMO could offer enough that players wouldn’t feel the need to repeat content (unless they wanted to) and an MMO developer wouldn’t see any need to slow down player consumption of content with various gating mechanisms. However, we don’t live in a world where developers have access to infinite resources, so they must put mechanisms into prolong time in game before the new content can be released.

A careful balance must be achieved between the length of these gates and the introduction of new content. If the gates are too overbearing, you hemorrhage players due to feelings of futility and boredom. If they are too short, players that get through them faster start complaining there is nothing to do. We saw this crop up at GW 2’s release with ascended gear. You know you’re in a sweet spot when there is a minority of players complaining that there’s too little to do (i.e., your players that play a lot) and a minority of players complaining that there is too much stuff to grind to get through the gates (e.g., your players that play seldom).

Posted by: InsidiousWaffle.7086

InsidiousWaffle.7086

so for 3 years players ask for precursor crafting… and then when it comes people complain?

You have no excuse to complain about grinding considering the previous system. You used to have to get thousands of gold and either buy the pre straight up, or gamble away thousands of gold and pray.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

That screenshot was a total mic drop.

I think you are more or less on the money, OP. But we can’t expect miracle work from Anet. They revolutionized (or at least, “did differently”) a few features and went the standard route on the rest. Which is what most MMOs do.

To escape the grind design trap, you have to come up with a viable alternative for keeping mass number of people to log in for hours and hours out of their day. I’ve noticed that people who get by on “messing around” (e.g. not playing to work toward a goal at all) tend to also be people who don’t have many hours out of their day to play in the first place.

It’s relatively easy to find things to dink around with in a non-serious way, in any game, for 2-3 hours. Doing that for 6-12 hours is a different story. Grinds give the dedicated players something to do and as much as people complain about grinds (myself included) the same people who complain about them tend to do them anyway because the psychological appeal is so strong. The carrot on the stick is a simple, long-term goal to work toward and it’s promised at the end of the rainbow.

If you can think of a truly viable alternative, I think you will impress the entire game development community.

Or words to that effect.

Ohoni.6057

But remember that this is a CHANGE to the current game. The game I chose did not have raiding. I partially chose it because it did not have raiding. The game I chose had a firewall between PvP and PvE rewards and progression. It also did not have Fractals, did not have Ascended armor, did not have the new Legendary Grind, etc. If you’re going to use the “you chose the wrong game” argument, then that would apply more to people who did want those things. The game I choose was the game for me, it’s just since been moving further and further away from being that game.

done by now.”

Posted by: Kayberz.5346

Kayberz.5346

But remember that this is a CHANGE to the current game. The game I chose did not have raiding. I partially chose it because it did not have raiding. The game I chose had a firewall between PvP and PvE rewards and progression. It also did not have Fractals, did not have Ascended armor, did not have the new Legendary Grind, etc. If you’re going to use the “you chose the wrong game” argument, then that would apply more to people who did want those things. The game I choose was the game for me, it’s just since been moving further and further away from being that game.

Kayberz.5346

Except all those things were ADDED to the game. They didnt replace anything. If you dont like the new content DONT PLAY IT. All the stuff in the core game is still there, play the stuff you bought the game for no one is holding a gun to your head to do thenew stuff. All of your posts on multiple threads just show that all youcare about is rewards and not actualy playing the game as if you are entitled to all rewards in the game for only doing what you want

Ohoni.6057

Except all those things were ADDED to the game. They didnt replace anything. If you dont like the new content DONT PLAY IT.

Which largely holds up, the problem is when they add new rewards to those content streams, rewards that they could have and would have added to other areas of the game if those content streams were not available. I have zero problem with not doing raids, but I do have a problem with not being able to get Legendary armor because I don’t do raids. I have zero problem with deciding to not do a Legendary Precursor Grindquest because it seems like a waste of time, I do have a problem with them not providing a better alternative way of earning Precursors than the Grindquest.

All of your posts on multiple threads just show that all youcare about is rewards and not actualy playing the game as if you are entitled to all rewards in the game for only doing what you want

I only care about rewards because I enjoy playing the game. There are plenty of games out there that offer fancy things that I do not play because I don’t enjoy the gameplay.

done by now.”

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

^
Exactly this. The game I bought as advertised is changing in ways that I don’t like. I bought a game where the armor you got when you dinged level 80 was the best armor and easy and cheap to get and you did events for fun and they were going to add more events to replace old ones. Not a raiding, exclusionary game.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Kayberz.5346

Except all those things were ADDED to the game. They didnt replace anything. If you dont like the new content DONT PLAY IT.

Which largely holds up, the problem is when they add new rewards to those content streams, rewards that they could have and would have added to other areas of the game if those content streams were not available. I have zero problem with not doing raids, but I do have a problem with not being able to get Legendary armor because I don’t do raids. I have zero problem with deciding to not do a Legendary Precursor Grindquest because it seems like a waste of time, I do have a problem with them not providing a better alternative way of earning Precursors than the Grindquest.

All of your posts on multiple threads just show that all youcare about is rewards and not actualy playing the game as if you are entitled to all rewards in the game for only doing what you want

I only care about rewards because I enjoy playing the game. There are plenty of games out there that offer fancy things that I do not play because I don’t enjoy the gameplay.

Exactly you just prooved my point. All you care about are the rewards. But you dont actually want to play the content needed to obtain them. Your just saying gimmy gimmy. Legendarys are NOT for every single person in the game, its for the MOST dedicated players who are willing to put a bunch of work into reaching the goal. If you dont want to go through the work to get a completely optional and non required luxory item, then that item isnt for you, forget about it and PLAY THE GAME

Posted by: Ice.5162

Ice.5162

You have zero idea what grinding is.

Posted by: Sykper.6583

Sykper.6583

You have zero idea what grinding is.

/thread

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”

Ohoni.6057

Exactly you just prooved my point. All you care about are the rewards.

No, Remember that the words I said were that I didn’t only care about the rewards. That might have been a clue.

I care about the rewards only because I care about the gameplay, because I want to look my best as I play the gameplay. If I didn’t care about the gameplay then the rewards wouldn’t matter to me at all.

But you dont actually want to play the content needed to obtain them.

I don’t want to play content that I don’t want to play, because that takes away time that I could instead be playing content that I do want to play. Why does that seem weird to you?

Legendarys are NOT for every single person in the game, its for the MOST dedicated players who are willing to put a bunch of work into reaching the goal.

No.

If you dont want to go through the work to get a completely optional and non required luxory item, then that item isnt for you, forget about it and PLAY THE GAME

But why play the game without the item that I want, when instead I could be playing the content with the item I want?

done by now.”

Kayberz.5346

Exactly you just prooved my point. All you care about are the rewards.

No, Remember that the words I said were that I didn’t only care about the rewards. That might have been a clue.

I care about the rewards only because I care about the gameplay, because I want to look my best as I play the gameplay. If I didn’t care about the gameplay then the rewards wouldn’t matter to me at all.

But you dont actually want to play the content needed to obtain them.

I don’t want to play content that I don’t want to play, because that takes away time that I could instead be playing content that I do want to play. Why does that seem weird to you?

Legendarys are NOT for every single person in the game, its for the MOST dedicated players who are willing to put a bunch of work into reaching the goal.

No.

If you dont want to go through the work to get a completely optional and non required luxory item, then that item isnt for you, forget about it and PLAY THE GAME

But why play the game without the item that I want, when instead I could be playing the content with the item I want?

ROFL wow you are so self centered. So basically your argument is that you want every single skin in the game without ever having to work for it ever. You want anet to completely remove rewards from everything in the game and just let you have them just because you dont like doing specific things.

Ohoni.6057

ROFL wow you are so self centered. So basically your argument is that you want every single skin in the game without ever having to work for it ever.

No, that’s what you’re saying I want because you want to paint me out as someone irrational that you can comfortably ignore.

I have no problem with working for the rewards I earn, I just want the methods available to have a wide variety, so that it’s more likely that I will enjoy the gameplay activities I am doing, and I expect that the path should be reasonable, not made more complicated or time consuming than the reward is actually worth.

done by now.”

Posted by: Serpiente.4510

Serpiente.4510

I will tell you guys the best experience i’ve had with the game, maybe it helps. Crafting Mawdrey. I am not smart enough to explain it but this was the only time i actually felt good WHILE getting a piece of armor/weapon (crafted 4 legendaries, sold 3 on the TP)
anyways. I am hoping that crafting the new legendaries will be akin to the proccess of crafting mawdrey only 10-20 times longer (meaning better) I hate WvW and yet i managed to get 2000 badges of honor.

Kayberz.5346

ROFL wow you are so self centered. So basically your argument is that you want every single skin in the game without ever having to work for it ever.

No, that’s what you’re saying I want because you want to paint me out as someone irrational that you can comfortably ignore.

I have no problem with working for the rewards I earn, I just want the methods available to have a wide variety, so that it’s more likely that I will enjoy the gameplay activities I am doing, and I expect that the path should be reasonable, not made more complicated or time consuming than the reward is actually worth.

If the process of getting the legendary is more trouble than its worth then dont get it. You have played up to this point without legendary armor so why do you all of a sudden need it so bad? You dont, you want a prestigious item to feel special but dont want to do the work for it. You dont even know what the armor looks like yet MUST have it.
Legendarys are not needed for ANYTHING in the game, they are status symbols that anet themselves have said are intended to show a player has mastered ALL the gamemodes to some extent, not for casual players who only do one narrow portion of the game and only that. If you arnt a legendary player than you dont deserve a legendar armor set. You are demanding rewards you havnt earned. You arnt the type of player legendarys are intended for

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

At this rate, if a developer has players do something twice for an item, the forums will be filled with these spouting “Omg! What grind! We have to do that task TWICE!? How dare they!”

Posted by: BIGHARSHNESS.3510

BIGHARSHNESS.3510

How is the legendary journey more of a grind than the current system? I’ve been “grinding” for 1500 hours and haven’t seen Dusk yet. At least this system has a definite start and finish. It beats doing shovel train everyday so you can give another player your gold.

Posted by: Jaising.7253

Jaising.7253

[quote=5601949;velmeister.4187:]

Posted by: leftyboy.9358

leftyboy.9358

To OP. Would you continue to play a game that no longer offered things to strive for?

Ohoni.6057

If the process of getting the legendary is more trouble than its worth then dont get it.

That is certainly one option. I don’t feel that it is the best option. I feel that if I can convince ANet to change their mind, to change the process to one that is more reasonable, then I would be able to pursue that new process and get the Legendary I want, and that would leave me happier, so that is the course I am pursuing.

You have played up to this point without legendary armor so why do you all of a sudden need it so bad?

It didn’t exist up to this point. Build it and they will come.

You dont, you want a prestigious item to feel special but dont want to do the work for it.

Prestige? No. Couldn’t care less. Cool look? Definitely. I don’t know that the Legendary armor will look good, there’s a decent chance it won’t, but assuming it does, I will want it, at least a few pieces to mix into my wardrobe. But no, I find the idea of “prestige” in a video game to be amusing, at best.

You arnt the type of player legendarys are intended for

Then they shouldn’t have made them look cool.

If they just wanted them as a status symbol, to say “I have done more things than most players,” then they should have used the mithril weapon models and just slapped the word “I am a special snowflake” on them in bright green paint. Then everyone would now what a special snowflake you are for having one.

But instead, they made them look really cool, so that people would want to have one whether they had any interest in being a . . . lol. . .“legendary player,” or not.

done by now.”

Posted by: Sinope.5630

Sinope.5630

Making a Legendary weapon in HoT is like making GWAMM title in Guild Wars 1.

You need to do a lot of things to get your goal. It was hard working to get GWAMM and it should be hard work to get Legendary weapon too.

Kayberz.5346

If the process of getting the legendary is more trouble than its worth then dont get it.

That is certainly one option. I don’t feel that it is the best option. I feel that if I can convince ANet to change their mind, to change the process to one that is more reasonable, then I would be able to pursue that new process and get the Legendary I want, and that would leave me happier, so that is the course I am pursuing.

You have played up to this point without legendary armor so why do you all of a sudden need it so bad?

You dont, you want a prestigious item to feel special but dont want to do the work for it.

Prestige? No. Couldn’t care less. Cool look? Definitely. I don’t know that the Legendary armor will look good, there’s a decent chance it won’t, but assuming it does, I will want it, at least a few pieces to mix into my wardrobe. But no, I find the idea of “prestige” in a video game to be amusing, at best.

If they just wanted them as a status symbol, to say “I have done more things than most players,” then they should have used the mithril weapon models and just slapped the word “I am a special snowflake” on them in bright green paint. Then everyone would now what a special snowflake you are for having one.

But instead, they made them look really cool, so that people would want to have one whether they had any interest in being a . . . lol. . .“legendary player,” or not.

Lol so you think that a game thats endgame revolves around finding the coolest cosmetic skins to deck yourself out with should make the skins they intentionally design to be the hardest to obtain be the ugliest and least desired just so YOU dont have to go through the trouble of getting it because it requires work?
The whole point of legendarys is the skin. Otherwise people wpuld only get ascended and reskin it. And agaun, you have ZERO idea what the armor looks like yet you claim that the only reason you want it is for looks…..what?

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

Except all those things were ADDED to the game. They didnt replace anything. If you dont like the new content DONT PLAY IT. All the stuff in the core game is still there, play the stuff you bought the game for no one is holding a gun to your head to do thenew stuff. All of your posts on multiple threads just show that all youcare about is rewards and not actualy playing the game as if you are entitled to all rewards in the game for only doing what you want

That is like telling someone that he bought a game and does not have to use the dlc. Which is ironically completely spot on with a single player game, but highly stupid in a multiplayer online game. Of course he does not have to use it, but this is not a single player game where you can get away with stuff like this if you want to do anthing in the future and have a progression of your character without being dragged into content you don´t like. Not to speak of the really horrible marketing effect this has. GW2 is no longer the safe spot for the casual gamer if he is not willing to be a second class player which is, as you can already see with many replies in the forum, a selling point of GW2.

And to complete your little lazy gamer wants the shinies only theory:
I would not give a single dump about raids if there were not the only place to get legendary armor, and I love the diversity of them and want to have such an armor. So yes, you are right when you think that I want the rewards only from raids, and would be really happy if there were other methods to do it. If I am bothered long enough by running against the raids with zero gain, I may still just say screw that and call it a day.
Does that devalue me as a customer? Or a player?
Please keep in mind that I have some characters in full ascended, including weaponry and another one on the way, so I would not even statistically lose something right now if I skipped raids. But telling people to stay in their circles and let the other people enjoy the new content is just wrong on so many levels.

Serophous.9085

Lol so you think that a game thats endgame revolves around finding the coolest cosmetic skins to deck yourself out with should make the skins they intentionally design to be the hardest to obtain be the ugliest and least desired just so YOU dont have to go through the trouble of getting it because it requires work?
The whole point of legendarys is the skin. Otherwise people wpuld only get ascended and reskin it. And agaun, you have ZERO idea what the armor looks like yet you claim that the only reason you want it is for looks…..what?

Actually, I would want the legendary stuff for the convienence. I don’t really care about any of the looks atm because I can’t figure out how to match them with the current armor.

Heck, I could have three legendaries by now if I wanted, but chose not too because again, I just didn’t care.

In truth, I’m not surprised a thread like this happened, and it won’t be the last. The current method of legendaries sucks already, they came up with a new one (and yes, I see it as better, no more based on RNG for the main item) which is based on the mawdrey system, which many people liked.

But hey, mmo developers can never please everyone, and they shouldn’t look to because its an impossible task. I mean, we have people complaining about the wallet system folks. THE WALLET SYSTEM.

Posted by: Dark Saviour.9410

Dark Saviour.9410

If it exists, it won’t for long. The ‘other’ crowds, rather than going to any of the existing games which already cater to them, will jump on board anything that doesn’t and then demand that it replicate the experience they could already be having anywhere else.

And they’ll win.

Gone for good after Halloween 2Ø12.
A shame fun things could not simply be fun.

Ohoni.6057

Making a Legendary weapon in HoT is like making GWAMM title in Guild Wars 1.

You need to do a lot of things to get your goal. It was hard working to get GWAMM and it should be hard work to get Legendary weapon too.

Making a title that takes a whole lot of things is fine, but weapon and armor skins should not be locked between more work than is reasonable.

I think that ideally nothing should require the level of work that would appear to go into making a T2 Legendary, but if anything does require that much work, it should be something that ONLY people who want to do all that work should care about getting, not something that most players would want.The value in having it should be in having something that few people have, not in it being cool enough on its own merits.

And agaun, you have ZERO idea what the armor looks like yet you claim that the only reason you want it is for looks…..what?

Like I said, I’m assuming. If it turns out that I don’t like the looks of any of the Legendary stuff then I’ll have no interest in it, but I think it’s at least likely that I’ll want a few assorted pieces of it, possibly whole sets if they look nice enough. It’s not like I’m quitting the game over the possibility that I’ll like them, I’m just saying, if it turns out I do like how they look, and they are too annoying to get, then I will not be happy about that. That’s all, don’t try to blow it out of proportion.

done by now.”

Posted by: Derenek.8931

Derenek.8931

Just prepare yourself to try and acquire huge amounts of gold and/or tier 6 mats.

To farm/grind a tier 6 map requires around an hour or two for metal/wood (if you know the spawn points. Longer if you don’t).

You’ll need to farm the same map about 30 times to get the required items.

On average one out of 8 monsters that spawn powerful blood drop that mat. You’ll need to kill enough for 5×8 or 40 of that mat. That means killing 320 of a single type of monster. Between finding and killing those mobs that’s about 1 every 10-15 minutes that’ll drop the mat you need. That’s 6 hours plus the 60 hours for the tier 6 special mats.

So only 66 hours of grinding to get he tier 6 mats for ascended. Then you’ll need the time gated mats which you get one per day. Then to mak the ascended mats, you’ll need to farm an additional 120 hours. Or pay 500 gold.

500 gold is about 100 bucks at the gem exchange rates.

This is obviously Anet’s new revenue model. People get partially through farming for mats, get sick of it and buy gems to get the gold to buy the rest at auction.

PAY TO WIN….

yippeee

Serophous.9085

Just prepare yourself to try and acquire huge amounts of gold and/or tier 6 mats.

To farm/grind a tier 6 map requires around an hour or two for metal/wood (if you know the spawn points. Longer if you don’t).

You’ll need to farm the same map about 30 times to get the required items.

On average one out of 8 monsters that spawn powerful blood drop that mat. You’ll need to kill enough for 5×8 or 40 of that mat. That means killing 320 of a single type of monster. Between finding and killing those mobs that’s about 1 every 10-15 minutes that’ll drop the mat you need. That’s 6 hours plus the 60 hours for the tier 6 special mats.

So only 66 hours of grinding to get he tier 6 mats for ascended. Then you’ll need the time gated mats which you get one per day. Then to mak the ascended mats, you’ll need to farm an additional 120 hours. Or pay 500 gold.

500 gold is about 100 bucks at the gem exchange rates.

This is obviously Anet’s new revenue model. People get partially through farming for mats, get sick of it and buy gems to get the gold to buy the rest at auction.

PAY TO WIN….

yippeee

You don’t know what pay to win is, do you?

Kayberz.5346

That is like telling someone that he bought a game and does not have to use the dlc. Which is ironically completely spot on with a single player game, but highly stupid in a multiplayer online game. Of course he does not have to use it, but this is not a single player game where you can get away with stuff like this if you want to do anthing in the future and have a progression of your character without being dragged into content you don´t like. Not to speak of the really horrible marketing effect this has. GW2 is no longer the safe spot for the casual gamer if he is not willing to be a second class player which is, as you can already see with many replies in the forum, a selling point of GW2.

And to complete your little lazy gamer wants the shinies only theory:
I would not give a single dump about raids if there were not the only place to get legendary armor, and I love the diversity of them and want to have such an armor. So yes, you are right when you think that I want the rewards only from raids, and would be really happy if there were other methods to do it. If I am bothered long enough by running against the raids with zero gain, I may still just say screw that and call it a day.
Does that devalue me as a customer? Or a player?
Please keep in mind that I have some characters in full ascended, including weaponry and another one on the way, so I would not even statistically lose something right now if I skipped raids. But telling people to stay in their circles and let the other people enjoy the new content is just wrong on so many levels.

this whole discussion is about the “grind” for legendary armor, there isnt ANY content that your being locked away from, its a reward that’s is obtained from doing a bunch of different types of content, but doing it A LOT. the legendary itself has nothing to do with actually PLAYING any of the game, all of the different content can be played in different amounts based on your preference, no one is forcing you to play stuff you don’t like. your all complaining about a completely OPTIONAL and UNNECESSARY luxury item.
and how is telling people to stay in their circles and let other people enjoy the content they want to play wrong? your coming from a completely selfish point of view if you think that’s wrong. over the past 3 years people have been requesting new content and new types of content. HoT is coming with a whole bunch of new stuff, just because you don’t happen to like EVERY SINGLE new thing coming doesn’t mean anet should have to change it to your specific desires. other people DO like the way they have implemented new features and you cant please everyone. take the expansion for what it is, if you find there is not enough content that caters to your needs then quit and request a refund.