HoT Price Feedback + Base game included [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: DarkAsh.4967

DarkAsh.4967

Whether the price is too much or too less veteran players arent happy. Why would they be? They will always get the short end of the stick. There will be a point where it crosses the line and veteran players leave. Anet will realize this eventually when the game goes back go $9.99. the community will become much smaller with only hardcore fans and a toxic attitude. GG Rip GW2

(edited by DarkAsh.4967)

Posted by: Firebaall.5127

Firebaall.5127

Anet really needs to step back and consider what they are doing with the expansion prices and bundling…..or more appropriately called bungling.

-new character class? Provide at least one character slot.

-Already own GW2? Provide a serial key for the base game along with the expansion.

Aside from the value/price issue, you are sticking a fork into your playerbase to see if they are done…with you. Seriously bad mistake you’re making. Keep your pricing scheme, but change your attitude towards your playerbase.

….then again, we could just have John Smith pop buy and pop a snarky comment. That always helps.

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

Actually to be more precise it is 45/75/100

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Ofcourse the prize is fine.Lets compare it to one other successfull MMOs.If i wanted to pay WoW i’d have to pay 20$ for the core game + 50$ for expansion which is 70$ in total.For HoT i have to pay only kitten and that is 25$ less than WoW(without even counting the subscription)

Yes, and let’s compare the content shall we? WoW gives you the Core game, plus 5 expansions, 11 character slots per server (100 total slots iirc). GW2 gives Core game plus HoT expansion, with 0 slots for $50 (or $10 more for a slot if you buy with gems), or 1 extra slot for an extra $25, totaling $75.

You can also buy WoW tokens now to pay for your subscription, much like grinding for gold to get gems in GW2.

Posted by: Ark.4937

Ark.4937

campare to Nightfall and Faction NOT WORTH IT!!!!!!!

GW1 had no living world content that came in between expansions, please stop your QQ and realize this

ITP: Sorrow’s Furnace doesn’t exist.

Posted by: Nabuko Darayon.9645

Nabuko Darayon.9645

Well pre-purchase is not for everyone. I hope if HoT goes on sale that the pricing will suit you then.

~ King Arian and Isabella of [EG] ~

Posted by: Nihlus.9724

Nihlus.9724

Everyone is kittened because ANET literally just admitted to caring substantially more for new players than any current or former players.

Your logic doesn’t follow. The expansion was going to cost some amount of money. The amount of money has been revealed to be $50. Period. They could have just as easily not included the core game and the expansion still would have been $50.

Giving the core game away with HoT does not mean that they care more about new players than established players. It just means that they want to make it as easy as possible for new players to start playing. (In fact, that’s something we as established players should want too. Who wants to play an empty MMO?)

Pricing the game at $50 does not mean that they don’t value established players. It just means that $50 is the price Anet thinks is reasonable for the expansion.

Again, if you think $50 is too much for the expansion, that’s fine. But if you think Anet owes you more or a cheaper price for being a veteran player, then you’re just being entitled. And if you think new players shouldn’t get the almost three-year-old core game along with the expansion, then you’re just being selfish as that idea is self-destructive to GW2. It benefits us as much as Anet to have a large player base.

Posted by: Rylen.2147

Rylen.2147

I don’t see how adding a character slot would completely destroy their company…
There’s no reason not to add one at that price.
HoT is essentially a standalone now with their FAQ change, which means it should (like Factions and Nightfall) at the very least include a character slot or two.

How much content does that really sound like?

It sounds like a glorified content patch.

There’s nothing stopping you from converting gold —> gems and buying the slot

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Probably gems like they did with the base game.

Posted by: Blackworm.2167

Blackworm.2167

For those that missed the E3 stream on guild halls, just the guild hall content alone I would have payed $50 this is going to be amazing. Stop complaining about the price and whether new players get the core game free and watch this.

http://youtu.be/0nKnkySDrvU

Enablers like you are why quality standards in the gaming industry have dropped so significantly.

GW1 – Dervish / Warrior –
GW2 – Borlis Pass – Revenant & Warrior –
Steam Profile

Posted by: Kury.8210

Kury.8210

@WatchTheShadow: All your examples are PS4 games. It would be rather hard to give a “standard” price for a game like GW2 considering most MMORPGs are either subscription based or free to play(p2w).

@Shifu:

Are people really screaming and shouting because the game is $50 as opposed to $40? Really?

Actually, only people “screaming” (cap lock) want the game for $30. People saying they want it for $40 seem a bit more reasonable. The bigger issue isn’t even the price. It’s the core game coming “free” with the expansion. More worrying is the misleading information convincing people they needed to buy the game first and the changed FAQ. Hopefully some damage is fixed soon with a cheaper option to buy the expansion pack without the bonus core game and some way to make up for those who were mislead.

Posted by: feelingood.2106

feelingood.2106

As Detha Tremblebones said. “Your plan is just stupid and won’t work.”

CureForLiving.5360

Wait until the expansion drops, read some reviews etc. then decide. It seems a lot of people are jumping to conclusions.

Rylen.2147

GW1 had no living world content that came in between expansions, please stop your QQ and realize this

ITP: Sorrow’s Furnace doesn’t exist.

Sorrows furnace was not a living story, sure it was content but so is aether path

Edit: sorrows furnace was also added before the 6 month expansion concept

Posted by: SleepingDragon.1596

SleepingDragon.1596

For those that missed the E3 stream on guild halls, just the guild hall content alone I would have payed $50 this is going to be amazing. Stop complaining about the price and whether new players get the core game free and watch this.

People like you are why quality standards in the gaming industry have dropped so significantly.

LOL. So true.

-S o S-

Posted by: skumbagnick.6098

skumbagnick.6098

I’d be okay with 40 honestly, at least if the expansion is big enough.

Fifty bucks on the other hand is the price of a full game, and if they want to charge that, it should be because HoT adds as much content to the game as it launched with, something we all know isn’t going to happen.

lol HoT has literally no content its worth at most 10$ i beta tested that kitten its kittening boring.

Posted by: Deth.4109

Deth.4109

Wait until the expansion drops, read some reviews etc. then decide. It seems a lot of people are jumping to conclusions.

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

1. Sells base game for $10-$20 (for at least a year until HoT) 9 Dungeons, Entire “living breathing world”, Countless hours

2. Sells Expansion for 3 – 5 times price of base game 1 Dungeon, an area, Maybe 40 hours max

3. ????

4. Profit

So HoT expansion to you is a max of 40 new hours and that is it?? LOL I guess you’ve played the entire expansion already to say something like that. Or maybe you are just assuming things and well we all know what people that assume things are called.

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

HoT is essentially a standalone now with their FAQ change, which means it should (like Factions and Nightfall) at the very least include a character slot or two.

I don’t think that justifies the 50 dollar price. The free character slot would improve the value of the expansion purchase because that’s 144 less gold you have to spend, or 10 less dollars you have to spend. It would help make the price for such little content seem like less of a scummy move.

Posted by: JUN YANG.4328

JUN YANG.4328

gw1 (2005)
eye of north (2007)
same 3 years time. 3 expansion
i rather have expansion the LS.
LS is a replacement expansion. if you miss it you miss it.

in 3 year time gw1’s map, class, etc more than double that original. gw2 after 3 year do you think 1 expansion and 1 LS can compare????

Posted by: InfamousBrad.5879

InfamousBrad.5879

I’m not going to get into arguments about what’s the “fair price” for the expansion plus one character slot. I’m just going to say this: it’s not worth it to me. I had already made up my mind how much I was willing to pay for season 3 of the Living Story plus one character class that I might not even want to pay, and it was at most $30, $40 if it came with a character slot. $75 isn’t even in the same ballpark as what I was willing to pay. So I’ll go play something else.

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

So if Anet suddenly charged new players 20$ for the base game and 50$ for the expansion, but the expansion remained $50 for upgrading, it would be better?

Posted by: Blackworm.2167

Blackworm.2167

You missed the point. This expansion costs money. The character slot should be included in the price as it is. The way you state it, character slots are essentially even less valuable, so that is all the more reason to include one with HoT.

P.S: I already do that. Time = Money. That is getting a char slot for time. This is for money. With your logic, how about they make HoT purchasable with gems? Seeing as how you want me to use gems.

GW1 – Dervish / Warrior –
GW2 – Borlis Pass – Revenant & Warrior –
Steam Profile

(edited by Blackworm.2167)

Posted by: Imbune.5497

Imbune.5497

Okay. Let’s talk. AAA games like Order: 1884, and others have less than 20 hours of content, yet cost 60 dollars. But, I hear you screaming, ‘I can return it to gamestop for money when I’m done!" Fine, total cost 30 dollars. So, HoT has to have more than 40 hours of content to be a good deal, right? 40 hours=20 times 2. 30 times 2=60. HoT=50. But HoT has to have more than 40 hours of content. So 50 dollars doesn’t seem like that bad a deal, if you put it into perspective. I’ve played this game A LOT. I’ve gotten my money’s worth. I think anet would be wise to add a free character slot to the 50 dollar option, tho.

I have no idea when gamers started using this time:money ratio to justify prices but it’s fallacious and anti-consumer. Not to mention your entire argument hinges on the inaccurate assumption that the price for The Order is acceptable-people have been saying that for a 4 hour game paying $60 is bullkitten! But let’s reign it back. The argument is I spend around 20hrs time in a AAA game therefore $60 is acceptable as in a mmorpg you’ll be spending more time, correct? Well let me ask you….in those single player games how many of those 20hours are spent REPEATING kitten YOU ALREADY DID 500 TIMES? See that’s the fallacy in that argument-the assumption is you’ll be spending 500 hours doing something new and interesting as you would in that 20hour experience. This is simply not true.

Furthermore this ‘content’ is them just making you have to do something a hundred times to get what you want-the actual content is worth 5mins of your time. Example Dragonball Xenoverse. Fighting game, spent over 500 hours in it (spent 300 in Injustice and MK9) but those 500hrs were me trying to get the stinking z skills that are based on rng based rng. If they had a reasonable system ‘defeat frieza after with krillin alive to get this z-soul’ then I’d play that for a minute and a half and be done with it. But since they hid the z soul behind ‘fight frieza and sometimes krillin will spawn, then if you kill frieza with krillin alive you might get the z soul’ it results in me playing the same minute and a half worth of content fifty times which now bloats my playtime from 90seconds to 75 minutes. This is what mmorpgs do and this is why the time spent is not representative of content. Remove the rng and you’ll see how anemic mmorpgs tend to be in terms of content.

I was interested in returning for the new mechanics….but $50 for 1 profession and 1 region when the core game had 8 professions, like 4 regions, 3 game modes, 6-8 dungeons (forgot-and I don’t count explorable as separate unique dungeons)? With the usual affair of denying me the items I want behind rng? Well if I don’t want to have something then I wouldn’t buy it in the first place. It makes no sense for me to buy the game and have you tell me I can’t have what I paid for. I support those who say (but will cave and buy it anyway) they won’t buy it at $50. The sad part is unless it’s free, they way they’ve set up the pricing ANY amount you pay will be unfair if you bought the core game. Even at $20 which is what I was expecting, I’d still be paying $70….well….80 because revenant, while a new player pays $50. Just wow….I thought the smart thing would be to drop the price of the base game and sell the expansion for what it’s worth. $40-half for base, half for expansion (based on what we’ve seen thus far), and if the expansion actually has more than %40 of the base game then sure…I can see the argument for more than $20.

When free speech ends, tyranny begins.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their proper name.

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

Its not a costumer keeper decision…

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

Posted by: synfullydevine.3642

synfullydevine.3642

if you look at the world through the cold cynical eyes of economics

You rang?

hi Jon I’ll sell you my gps but the adapter is extra. Kinda like the character slots.

Sorry I’m usually nice but I really feel bad for those who spent 10$ not to long ago and now see they have to pay for it again

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Cause we aren’t buying the core game again. The core game is just free for those who don’t already have it. The $50 is 100% the price of the expansion.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

CureForLiving.5360

This is unbelievably scummy. Pretty unethical and unfair if you ask me.

Assuming they had always planned to do a bait and switch. Most likely they only recently decided to make this change.

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

guild halls look pretty cool….but should have been in the base game. at least they’re om the way now.

still don’t think the features/content shown to us thus far warrants a 50 price tag….hopefully they’re holding back info that would change this (such as what challenging group content will entail).

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Moss.5371

Moss.5371

We included the core game as a free bonus

Just LOL.

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

The price of living goes up. Minimum wage goes up. Gas prices go up.

See a pattern here?

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

Ofcourse the prize is fine.Lets compare it to one other successfull MMOs.If i wanted to pay WoW i’d have to pay 20$ for the core game + 50$ for expansion which is 70$ in total.For HoT i have to pay only kitten and that is 25$ less than WoW(without even counting the subscription)

Yes, and let’s compare the content shall we? WoW gives you the Core game, plus 5 expansions, 11 character slots per server (100 total slots iirc). GW2 gives Core game plus HoT expansion, with 0 slots for $50 (or $10 more for a slot if you buy with gems), or 1 extra slot for an extra $25, totaling $75.

You can also buy WoW tokens now to pay for your subscription, much like grinding for gold to get gems in GW2.

You know WoW tokens are more expensive than a subscription.And someone always has to buy them with real cash so you can buy it with ingame gold.So it is a win win for Blizzard.

• Token 20$
  • Subscription 15$
TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

(edited by moiraine.2753)

Deth.4109

I’d be okay with 40 honestly, at least if the expansion is big enough.

Fifty bucks on the other hand is the price of a full game, and if they want to charge that, it should be because HoT adds as much content to the game as it launched with, something we all know isn’t going to happen.

lol HoT has literally no content its worth at most 10$ i beta tested that kitten its kittening boring.

this has to be the DUMBEST thing I have heard all night.

SleepingDragon.1596

Are people really screaming and shouting because the game is $50 as opposed to $40? Really?

No. Most of the complaints is that new players gets 2 game for the price of 1 while loyal existing players gotten shafted to rebuying the full game for $50 with nothing to show for except new contents. New players can create a new character with the new profession. Old players will need to fork out additional money or grinding to buy another slot to add the character slot so they can try out the new profession.

-S o S-

Posted by: Kury.8210

Kury.8210

So if Anet suddenly charged new players 20$ for the base game and 50$ for the expansion, but the expansion remained $50 for upgrading, it would be better?

If they had announced that in the beginning, there would probably be much less complaining. A bit too late for that now. Common sense.

Posted by: Kentaine.4692

Kentaine.4692

OMG it’s just a way to let new players in without squeezing them like other MMO’s do.

Settle down.

Here’s another way to do this:

Core game = $10 (permanently, no longer only for sales)
HoT = $40

New players spend the same amount as they would now, and the veterans don’t feel like they’ve taken it up the kitten.

Wow… I should be in marketing.

Rylen.2147

gw1 (2005)
eye of north (2007)
same 3 years time. 3 expansion
i rather have expansion the LS.
LS is a replacement expansion. if you miss it you miss it.

in 3 year time gw1’s map, class, etc more than double that original. gw2 after 3 year do you think 1 expansion and 1 LS can compare????

The stupidity in this comment is unbelievable, DO NOT forget all of the feature packs and feature updates we have received

Also, you forgot LS2

Deth.4109

Everyone is kittened because ANET literally just admitted to caring substantially more for new players than any current or former players.

Your logic doesn’t follow. The expansion was going to cost some amount of money. The amount of money has been revealed to be $50. Period. They could have just as easily not included the core game and the expansion still would have been $50.

Giving the core game away with HoT does not mean that they care more about new players than established players. It just means that they want to make it as easy as possible for new players to start playing. (In fact, that’s something we as established players should want too. Who wants to play an empty MMO?)

Pricing the game at $50 does not mean that they don’t value established players. It just means that $50 is the price Anet thinks is reasonable for the expansion.

Again, if you think $50 is too much for the expansion, that’s fine. But if you think Anet owes you more or a cheaper price for being a veteran player, then you’re just being entitled. And if you think new players shouldn’t get the almost three-year-old core game along with the expansion, then you’re just being selfish as that idea is self-destructive to GW2. It benefits us as much as Anet to have a large player base.

Posted by: Hybarf Tics.2048

Hybarf Tics.2048

I categorically refuse to get screwed over Anet.
If the expansion never comes alone you can keep it.
I would like to thank you for opening my eyes and make me realise that what was happening with the store all these years was only a preview of things to come.
Apparently I was right all along you have become a greedy company.
I’m now very sorry and feel like a dunky for having supported you the first year by spending over 1k in your company.
Lesson learned I will never trust another game publisher ever again store purchases are now forever locked with any game.
By the time the game releases if it isn’t sold separately GW 2 will be uninstalled permanently, adios.
P.S: Also thank you for making me loose faith with any game publisher.

Posted by: Linnael.1069

Linnael.1069

I for one will be definitely be taking this into account when I make purchasing decisions in the future, and I would feel pretty negligent in not calling attention to it when I just happened to luck into finding out about it from a random forum post.

And whether or not this affects my purchasing decision in the future, logically, would depend on how ArenaNet handles upgrading people to HoT pre-purchase, which they will be: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3a46s4/preorders_for_heart_of_thorns_are_now_live/cs96lfu

It’s likewise logical that one would want to know something about the values and intentions of a company. Its clear that you’re willing to bet ANet would have still been doing this if the forum uproar that you’re so against hadn’t happened. I am not so confident.

Stormbluff Isle – Syliara
Elementalist – Necromancer – Warrior

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Actually to be more precise it is 45/75/100

In Euros. In dollars it’s $50/75/100.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

But they only changed the FAQs today. They had to know well before today that they were going to give the base game for free with the HoT purchase. They would have known this weeks ago.

SleepingDragon.1596

No. The base game should be $10 since you can buy that during their sales. The expansion for $50 is still too expensive, but some people might at least feel a little more at ease for supporting Anet during all this time. Lots of people bought gems and additional copies of the game at $10 as a way to support Anet. But from what Anet is doing, they are ignoring and pushing out the older players in favor of the newer players.

-S o S-

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

If they had announced that in the beginning, there would probably be much less complaining. A bit too late for that now. Common sense.

Well, they can’t really go back on that now, since it would be MUCH worse if they suddenly increased the price for new players.

In the long run, I don’t really give a kitten what some new player paid for a game that I’ve been playing for 3 years. What’s more important is that I get what I paid for.

If getting what you paid for was the real issue, I’d sympathize with all the complaints, but if people are just gonna complain that new players get the core game for free, then well…

CureForLiving.5360

I thought WoW was more expensive with expansion and on top of that a monthly sub to?

You’re right… mind you there’s always going to be someone who’s unhappy no matter what.

Can I have your stuff?

what this person said.

What these people said XD

Did you actually read OP? He said he’s quitting because of the sarcastic comment from John Smith. You appear to be off-topic.

Offense is never given, only taken.

I may be joining you. Anet needs to do right here..

Can I maybe get your stuff

Posted by: MassDelusion.9130

MassDelusion.9130

For those that haven’t figured it out, and are asking for compensation because they’re going to “pay $10” for what they already have.

Prices of old games drop. And ANet has decided to drop the price of the base game down to nothing.

Posted by: Pyro.4765

Pyro.4765

How much of your guild hall will just be empty, unused space? How much variety is there in the decor? How robust are the buildings and new crafting option in practice?

We really don’t know enough to make an informed decision yet. You have no reason to believe this will be amazing. What you have is a carefully manicured commercial and a well-rehearsed pitch, each created with the sole purpose of leading you to believe the product is as exciting as they can get away with.

It might create an entirely new community within the game.
It might be useless and dead.
There is no compelling reason to suspect either. Please be reasonable about this and don’t jump the gun.

Posted by: Sylv.6514

Sylv.6514

To clarify: $50 is the price of the expansion. We included the core game as a free bonus to make it easier for new players to get into it.

How could you not realize how ripped off a lot of us old players feel? New players get a whole game for free, while veteran players get no perks for already owning it. Where is the “free bonus” for veteran players? I’m not paying $50 for this.

Posted by: upsdn.5426

upsdn.5426

I disagree. It’s not worth it.

Posted by: ThatDamnRat.1236

ThatDamnRat.1236

$50 dollars isn’t a lot for a good MMO. I think I am going to pay for the $100 package since it a steal.

The only theft that’s occurring is Anet stealing your money.