Unplayable Solo

Unplayable Solo

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

this thread is headed unplayable solo, however the fact is that the game is playable solo, some will find this difficult, that’s always going to be the case. The thread is built on a falsehood.

Anet have a couple options:

1. Make zones trivial for all including the least skilled. Everything is trivial, that’s fun as long as you only ever want trivial.

2. Make some zones harder than others, this gives everyone choice. For the hardest zons, some will be able to solo, some will need help, some will grow into the zone.

its obvious what the correct option is, so those complaining please think on this.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

Just keep in mind that not everyone has the time to grind for the best gear but enjoy playing it a few hours each week. And if those hours do not line up with a lot of players being on the same map at the same time you basicly will never progres. Mastery points is basicly anet’s way of adding extra leveling but it forces players to do things they dont like in the game. If this information was added before buying the expansion i dont think many players would have gotten it. Its sad to see.

And that is why they add things for both kinds of crowds, it doesnt say this game is only meant for one kind of people, it isnt forcing anyone, if you really feel like your missing out there are nice single player games, because mmorpgs are meant to have allot to do. If they take out mastery points or make them level super fast it will likely feel like less incentive for most.

If someone literally only have 2 hours a week to play, then I dont understand why anyone would want to try to play an mmo, thats just not enough time.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Im not trying to be rude here but from my understanding heart of thornes was meant for group content in the first place, the content needs to lasts for one, for two its meant to be an mmorpg, for three it was meant to be challenging/rewarding. we can solo enough content in this game as it is, I get people like the option so solo. But it sounds like some people here want a single player game.

No people want the option to play solo, all through the story and map content, i understand dungeons, fractals and raids are group content and i’m cool with group content being in open world but the map completions, the getting around for fun, most events should be complete-able solo as well as grouped…

So all types of customers can enjoy the content, if not then half the player base is doing things they don’t want to or worse actively avoiding it.

Sure i can’t complete shatterer solo, but i can save a town from harpies solo, in Hot i can’t even do that most times, i’m dead.

I can’t even kill a veteran mushroom solo without going downed state a few times then dying..

So you and the other little friends who can not kill a veteran is a shame, I say this because even discouraged seeing a guy here in this forum say that you can not kill a smokescale veteran and then talk that can kill, not knowing if you really can or not.

Please these PVE players who believe that HOT was hard, believe they are the same that will claim in PvP because they could not get the wing because it is difficult.

ArenaNet nor should hear these kinds of players who want to make this game something casual to harm the hardcore who likes to challenge.

I walked all the map again and I did not die once so easy that is.

Even the 3 champions of Verdant Brink almost done solo because it’s easy, but not just because soloing appeared 2 more to help and I dc at the end when it appears the legendary boss

These maps are increasingly empty because now those who have no skill can do this by pressing 1 and without help.

What class do you use in hot… And agreed a smokescale veteran can take 2/3rds of my health in a second and i barely kill it… I’ve died to a normal Smokescale..

My main issue is the insane frogs, i cannot kill them at all i died 10 times yesterday on the same two frogs, teleporting, un-hit able, instant kill cheap kitten… that’s not fun, that’s actually harassment when you are just trying to get past..

Seriously its just no longer fun to play anymore.

I play but ranger, have played a little warrior too, but not on the maps of Tyria, which class you play? How long has the game?

If you want one of these days can follow me and see how I can get along in the HOT maps, it is very rare to end up dying. My nick is Raplion with ranger.

I’m a Daredevil, but i tried Ele, Ranger and Engie with all similar issues, i played GW2 for a year and a half and just returned two weeks ago because i purchased Heart of Thorns in a sale at EB games…

I very much regret it now and am considering looking for more casual mmo over GW2, its no longer enjoyable.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Im not trying to be rude here but from my understanding heart of thornes was meant for group content in the first place, the content needs to lasts for one, for two its meant to be an mmorpg, for three it was meant to be challenging/rewarding. we can solo enough content in this game as it is, I get people like the option so solo. But it sounds like some people here want a single player game.

No people want the option to play solo, all through the story and map content, i understand dungeons, fractals and raids are group content and i’m cool with group content being in open world but the map completions, the getting around for fun, most events should be complete-able solo as well as grouped…

So all types of customers can enjoy the content, if not then half the player base is doing things they don’t want to or worse actively avoiding it.

Sure i can’t complete shatterer solo, but i can save a town from harpies solo, in Hot i can’t even do that most times, i’m dead.

I can’t even kill a veteran mushroom solo without going downed state a few times then dying..

So you and the other little friends who can not kill a veteran is a shame, I say this because even discouraged seeing a guy here in this forum say that you can not kill a smokescale veteran and then talk that can kill, not knowing if you really can or not.

Please these PVE players who believe that HOT was hard, believe they are the same that will claim in PvP because they could not get the wing because it is difficult.

ArenaNet nor should hear these kinds of players who want to make this game something casual to harm the hardcore who likes to challenge.

Even the 3 champions of Verdant Brink almost done solo because it’s easy, but not just because soloing appeared 2 more to help and I dc at the end when it appears the legendary boss

These maps are increasingly empty because now those who have no skill can do this by pressing 1 and without help.

What class do you use in hot… And agreed a smokescale veteran can take 2/3rds of my health in a second and i barely kill it… I’ve died to a normal Smokescale..

My main issue is the insane frogs, i cannot kill them at all i died 10 times yesterday on the same two frogs, teleporting, un-hit able, instant kill cheap kitten… that’s not fun, that’s actually harassment when you are just trying to get past..

I play but ranger, have played a little warrior too, but not on the maps of Tyria, which class you play? How long has the game?

If you want one of these days can follow me and see how I can get along in the HOT maps, it is very rare to end up dying. My nick is Raplion with ranger.

I’m a Daredevil, but i tried Ele, Ranger and Engie with all similar issues, i played GW2 for a year and a half and just returned two weeks ago because i purchased Heart of Thorns in a sale at EB games…

I very much regret it now and am considering looking for more casual mmo over GW2, its no longer enjoyable.

But you also claim you have terrible lag and bad skill lag, and you’re judging the game based on issues you have. I mean yes, I know you’re in Australia but many people, including both me, my wife and my son, have played this game from Australia and don’t have your skill lag.

Every time you say something is too hard, well yeah, if you are reacting too slow because of lag, of course it’s too hard. How in the name of the six do you think leaving that info out is fair to anyone?

You may not be the best player or you may be, but no one could function in this game with the latency you describe.

Nor should Anet balance the game around a person who has 2-4 second skill input lag because if they did that, it would be far too easy for everyone else.

If you’re in Australia and your lag is that bad, either get better internet, get a better computer, or figure out what’s causing your lag.

Because saying over and over again the game is too hard, after saying you have this terrible lag is, at the very least, misleading.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Todd.6573

Todd.6573

Solo players cannot advance in the new content, and any decent publisher would disclose such a fundamental change prior to taking your money.

I can, i have and i still do.. That being said, obviously there are things that cant be soloed. Like meta events, or world bosses. Thats because its an MMO, now what this means is that player interaction and cooperation is encouraged and even intended..
Shocking, i know, but if you want to solo everything may i suggest a Singleplayer game instead of previously mentioned “Massively multiplayer online role-playing game” (Please note the multiplayer part, its really whats important here!)

Great thoughts speak only to the thoughtful mind, but great actions speak to all mankind.
- Theodore Roosevelt

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Maybe find some friends to play with, use LFG, join a guild.

Problem is, there’s no game that has the same quality as Guild Wars 2. GW2 is pretty unique and plays and feels unique. Once I switch to other games it’s never the same.

Maybe great if you want something completely different, but not when you want a more casual version of GW2.

But hey, I heard Runescape upgraded its graphics engine once again. (no more Java/browser) If you want casual and something entirely different.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: MrRomanticGuildGuy.7568

MrRomanticGuildGuy.7568

I want the KI Companions back from Guild Wars 1 and they should delete random enmies out of the game because they are not worth to kill.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

I want the KI Companions back from Guild Wars 1 and they should delete random enmies out of the game because they are not worth to kill.

They all have a chance to drop a precursor so from that point of view they are worth killing.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Final Boss.8316

Final Boss.8316

Problem is, there’s no game that has the same quality as Guild Wars 2. GW2 is pretty unique and plays and feels unique.

GW2

Unique

Pick one.

Unplayable Solo

Dante.1508

But you also claim you have terrible lag and bad skill lag, and you’re judging the game based on issues you have. I mean yes, I know you’re in Australia but many people, including both me, my wife and my son, have played this game from Australia and don’t have your skill lag.

Every time you say something is too hard, well yeah, if you are reacting too slow because of lag, of course it’s too hard. How in the name of the six do you think leaving that info out is fair to anyone?

You may not be the best player or you may be, but no one could function in this game with the latency you describe.

Nor should Anet balance the game around a person who has 2-4 second skill input lag because if they did that, it would be far too easy for everyone else.

If you’re in Australia and your lag is that bad, either get better internet, get a better computer, or figure out what’s causing your lag.

Because saying over and over again the game is too hard, after saying you have this terrible lag is, at the very least, misleading.

That is no longer an issue my ISP fixed it, doesn’t fix the difficulties in game though..Nice dodge on the horrible HoT difficulty though, all those deaths were with no skill lag and 220 ping.

Problem is, there’s no game that has the same quality as Guild Wars 2. GW2 is pretty unique and plays and feels unique. Once I switch to other games it’s never the same.

Maybe great if you want something completely different, but not when you want a more casual version of GW2.

But hey, I heard Runescape upgraded its graphics engine once again. (no more Java/browser) If you want casual and something entirely different.

Well i’m trialing Wildstar, it seems a lot more casual and the maps aren’t so over the top like HoT and more like core tyria, obviously i’m low level so i cannot judge end game, i will say how straight forward it is is refreshing after GW2 and they have a lot less collection stuff which is a plus.

If it doesn’t work out i’ll go back to the secret world i always loved that game it just had a tiny population last i checked, heard its boosted again.

Anyway enjoy the “unique” GW2 Grind.

(edited by Dante.1508)

Unplayable Solo

FrizzFreston.5290

Good luck with that then. I found WildStar too straightforward to the point it was boring me, maybe you have better luck with it.

Unplayable Solo

Dante.1508

Good luck with that then. I found WildStar too straightforward to the point it was boring me, maybe you have better luck with it.

That’s funny i like straight forward, its a main factor why Guildwars 2 is so painful for me, its not at all straight forward anymore..

Thanks i will.

Unplayable Solo

Vayne.8563

That is no longer an issue my ISP fixed it, doesn’t fix the difficulties in game though..Nice dodge on the horrible HoT difficulty though, all those deaths were with no skill lag and 220 ping.

Well i’m trialing Wildstar, it seems a lot more casual and the maps aren’t so over the top like HoT and more like core tyria, obviously i’m low level so i cannot judge end game, i will say how straight forward it is is refreshing after GW2 and they have a lot less collection stuff which is a plus.

If it doesn’t work out i’ll go back to the secret world i always loved that game it just had a tiny population last i checked, heard its boosted again.

You and the six guys that think it’s that hard are you and the six guys that think it’s that hard. Obviously this is an exaggeration but…though it’s harder than core Tyria, it’s really not that much harder. I have the same ping you do and sometimes more and I don’t find most of it hard.

I have a guild full of casuals and only a tiny percentage of them find it too hard.

I have no idea what you’re doing wrong, but there are far more people saying it’s not that hard than saying it is that hard.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Was it not Wildstar that got so hated because it was an extreme Elitist game? They lost a lot of players because they didn’t cater to the casuals. I may be wrong and or they could have changed their ways, I have never played it just stating what I have heard.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Was it not Wildstar that got so hated because it was an extreme Elitist game? They lost a lot of players because they didn’t cater to the casuals. I may be wrong and or they could have changed their ways, I have never played it just stating what I have heard.

I did play WS, and it had two problems:

Raids, the primary goal of their endgame, were not very accessible. In order to get to do raids, players had to complete too many preparatory activities. Given that the MMO player-base as a whole gets older every year, and that can often mean having less time, this was not a good idea.

Imo, GW2 did not make that mistake. Afaik, there are gates to raid in GW2, but the one imposed by ANet only consists of needing to buy HoT. The gear/LI gates to get into a PuG group, that’s a player thing.

Carbine found on exit summaries that a lot of people preferred to play solo. Since the game had very little to nothing for the solo player to do at max level, they bled lots of players. It’s my understanding they were planning to introduce solo endgame stuff. Whether they’ve done so, or whether it’s any good, I’ve no idea.

In this area, ANet implemented a ton of stuff one can solo in core, but offered less of that in HoT. Some of that is that HoT is small compared to core, so there’s less to do for everyone by comparison. The only content area which compares to core in volume is map metas. There are event chains in all core areas, though they vary in scope. However, only DT, SW, Straits of Devastation, Teq and Wurm are analogous to the HoT metas. Another part is that what there is includes things like map exploration that most people are going to need others around to complete, even if they can do most of it solo.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

You and the six guys that think it’s that hard are you and the six guys that think it’s that hard.

Would they be invented numbers, Vayne?

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Korval.3751

Korval.3751

Solo players cannot advance in the new content, and any decent publisher would disclose such a fundamental change prior to taking your money.

If you’re referring to the story content; yes it’s solo. If you referring to the HOT zones; yes it’s solo in some areas, not so much in others. Before you make a blanket statement you should provide examples otherwise you sound like a typical entitlement scrub complaining things aren’t being handed to you on a silver platter. HOT isn’t Tyria. It’s MUCH harder. That’s because there are no level increases in GW2.

P.S. Do you know what happens when a developer listens to their audience requests to dumb down the content? You get Garrisons and World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor.

(edited by Korval.3751)

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

A large number of events can be done solo in HoT. Generally the only ones that can’t are those labeled as group events and those that have champions. Sure some of those could be done solo but not by the average player so I’m not taking them into consideration.

A large number of the defend camps in VB during the night can done solo depending on how many natural spawns that there are. The trend is that players feel that you need 2+ players at each camp. If you let the NPC’s die, and leave only one mob alive, you don’t get respawns. Respawns only occur when you kill every mob in a wave. If you leave something like a mender alive, all you’ll have to worry about are the natural speaks and the vines.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Problem is, there’s no game that has the same quality as Guild Wars 2. GW2 is pretty unique and plays and feels unique.

GW2

Unique

Pick one.

Are there more MMORPG games with fluid combat movement? or with Jumping Puzzles?…

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

GW2

Unique

Pick one.

Are there more MMORPG games with fluid combat movement? or with Jumping Puzzles?…

Yes. And sorta.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Moonyeti.3296

Moonyeti.3296

GW2

Unique

Pick one.

Yes. And sorta.

Black Desert Online comes to mind. I wish GW2 had BDO movement when it comes to exploring, as you can grab and climb in addition to jumping.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Burtakus.1839

Burtakus.1839

ahahaha GW2 is anything but unique. this MMO is about as themepark vanilla as you can get, and short of the art style—which is a great one—nothing really sets it apart.

The frustrating part of HoT is the fact that navigational tools that make travelling easier are time-gated behind that dreadful masteries system.

“let’s make HoT feel like it has more content than it does by making QoL elements be a painful grind to obtain, on top of maps that are designed to weed out players from this game”.

I’m still willing to give HoTs a longer chance, but god kitten that honey moon period of the patch really didn’t last, I was hoping it would definitely keep me in.

Unplayable Solo

FrizzFreston.5290

I’d say every MMO has their own unique things. If you don’t care about them that’s obviously going to affect what you think about the game.

I mean, I said unique because that’s what draws me to GW2. I really like the dynamic events and the way the story pans out over the game world. The downscaling and keeping all of the game world relevant (to some extend) feels really nice to me. Just the amount of detail in this game is unique if you know where to look for it. And the game doesn’t require me to grind too long for viable gear. Plus the jumping puzzles and other such intricate vertical areas in GW2 are just amazing imo. The combination of features of GW2 is definitely unique. Surely there’s other games with similar features but it’s never going to be GW2.

What you should ask yourself, why are you playing GW2 OR posting on the forums of GW2 if you think it doesn’t have anything worthwhile or is just more of the same? Surely you’re not all here because GW2 is the same as every other game, otherwise you’d be playing those games.

And because it’s unique, there’s going to be people who like it, and those who don’t and want to try other games who fit more with their preferences.

It’s really just that simple.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

^^ lots of wisdom there because it would be a very rare instance where someone gets a game and absolutely loves every single element and aspect of that game. The reality is that most people play games where the majority of the things they love, like or are willing to put up with outweigh the parts they hate or dislike. This is always why I laugh at people that quit because of the ONE thing because it’s never just one thing, unless it renders the game completely unplayable for them.

Unplayable Solo

Vayne.8563

You and the six guys that think it’s that hard are you and the six guys that think it’s that hard.

No because I said I was intentionally exaggerating, so it doesn’t count as numbers at all. Why truncate a sentence to try to prove me wrong when in fact I didn’t actually list a number at all except as something that’s obviously meant as humor?

You’d have to be pretty disingenuous to believe I think 6 people feel this way.

Unplayable Solo

Dante.1508

No because I said I was intentionally exaggerating, so it doesn’t count as numbers at all. Why truncate a sentence to try to prove me wrong when in fact I didn’t actually list a number at all except as something that’s obviously meant as humor?

So you use hyperbole to try to make the issue less serious than it is.. Great job and the game is dying as i’ve said, whatever metrics they used to decide the difficulty in hot is working far worse against them..

Honestly just read the frustrations in zone chat daily, disagree all you want but after a 2 year break this game has a tiny population compared to when i left in 2012.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Funny you should mention obvious humour. I thought mine was more obvious than yours. Take a step back and chill matey ;p

Unplayable Solo

General Health.9678

the game is dying as i’ve said

Bye then.

after a 2 year break this game has a tiny population compared to when i left in 2012

You left in 2012. It’s now 2016. Your two year break sure did last a long time.

The other games you mention you’ve started to play also have smaller populations now than when they launched, are you on their forums complaining about them there too?

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

If my non-gamer wife can solo in HoT maps (not including Tangled Depths, god that map is a maze), then so can you.

Just find events. It’s literally that simple. There are always events going on, and they are very rarely empty. Maybe it’s because you are in Australia so your play times are at non-peak hours so maps are dead? There are a lot of Group Events in HoT, so you can’t really solo them, but when I’m playing at my usual 8pm-10pm EST, I don’t think I’ve ever had to do an event solo.

Just log in, go to a map in HoT, pull up LFG —> Open World —>Map you’re in, look to see if there are any taxis to an active map, join squad, join map, (drop squad, if you want, but no sense in it), do events, get loot and XP.

If your play times are the equivalent of 3am-9am on the server you’re on, then I don’t know what to tell you. Most people don’t play during those times.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Unplayable Solo

Vayne.8563

So you use hyperbole to try to make the issue less serious than it is.. Great job and the game is dying as i’ve said, whatever metrics they used to decide the difficulty in hot is working far worse against them..

Honestly just read the frustrations in zone chat daily, disagree all you want but after a 2 year break this game has a tiny population compared to when i left in 2012.

It’s not serious. The game isn’t dying and you have zero evidence that it is. None at all.

We’ll see how dead the game is when the next quarterly report comes out. Until then there’s nothing to suggest the game is dying. In fact, I think you’re the only one I even see saying it.

I haven’t even seen people mad at HoT claiming the game is dying…except for you.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

People have been saying the game has been dying since 2012. About 3.5 years later and it’s still here.

Unplayable Solo

Vayne.8563

Funny you should mention obvious humour. I thought mine was more obvious than yours. Take a step back and chill matey ;p

Nothing said to me on these forums is obvious, even if I did assume you were joking. The fact is, there are plenty of people who wouldn’t see the joke and would take it seriously.

I already have one person who dogs me and tries to hold me accountable.

But this is really all off topic anyway. The topic of whether HoT is soloable has already been answered, considering plenty of people can solo it on every profession.

It’s really a null point. There are obviously people who don’t play as well, or have older computers, or bad connections, but you just can’t balance the game around them.

For the longest time, one of the biggest complaints about this game is that there’s no difficult content. So you might say that well they have raids.

But not everyone who wants challenging content wants instanced content. There are people, like me, who enjoy the open world and want some challenge in some areas. That’s what end game zones are for.

When Eye of the North came out, it was much harder than anything in the “open world” in Guild Wars 1, because it was all max level content. Creatures in the open world were more powerful, they ran in bigger packs, they had harder hitting skills and on top of that, they had higher levels. Even in normal mode, 24 th level creatures were the norm, when the max level in the game was 20.

This game has plenty of dead easy content. Harder content, not just raids, was needed.

Admittedly Anet didn’t scale it up gradually, and they put all their eggs in one basket which was a flaw.

But that doesn’t mean that the game didn’t need challenging open world content. It’s still soloable.

Unplayable Solo

Dante.1508

the game is dying as i’ve said

Bye then.

after a 2 year break this game has a tiny population compared to when i left in 2012

You left in 2012. It’s now 2016. Your two year break sure did last a long time.

The other games you mention you’ve started to play also have smaller populations now than when they launched, are you on their forums complaining about them there too?

I left in Bazaar of the Four Winds is a release launched on July 9, 2013

So actually i’m wrong it was 3 years ago almost..

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: displacedTitan.6897

displacedTitan.6897

GW2

Unique

Pick one.

Yes. And sorta.

Black Desert Online comes to mind. I wish GW2 had BDO movement when it comes to exploring, as you can grab and climb in addition to jumping.

Ya I too wish the pop-in was so bad and combat text so anemic that you could close your eyes and still get the same information out of the game!

Unplayable Solo

Vayne.8563

People have been saying the game has been dying since 2012. About 3.5 years later and it’s still here.

The real irony here is that the guy says he’s playing Wildstar and then claims Guild Wars 2 is dying. That’s pretty entertaining when you think about it. Not that I wish badly on Wildstar I enjoyed it.

But you can’t judge end game while you’re leveling anyway. Dante played Guild Wars 2 till 80 and enjoyed the difficulty level. It’s only when he hit real end game that he had an issue.

I can’t really imagine it’ll be any different in Wildstar.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Moonyeti.3296

Moonyeti.3296

GW2

Unique

Pick one.

Yes. And sorta.

Ya I too wish the pop-in was so bad and combat text so anemic that you could close your eyes and still get the same information out of the game!

Whoa! I was just bringing up the movement options. In my opinion BDO is pretty good for its jumping and climbing mechanics. I’m not here to bash GW2 or BDO.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Vaske.2817

Vaske.2817

I can agree that hot maps are 10x harder and i just returned after long time and i had really hard time playing hot maps…..i dont mind hard dungeons and raids….but come on….maps should be a lot easier…..i lost my interest in playing hot….

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Stevieboy.4192

Stevieboy.4192

As a mainly solo player who tags onto group events then leaves when job is done,
I love the ’it’s multiplayer’ line.
I have to group do I?
Who with?
For the last week or so, I have been on dead map after dead map, taking rally points solo because there is nobody around or have players just run past me.
I have accepted that some content I will never do, due to lack of skill or the group content I have no interest in and mastery 75 is where i’ll stay for now.
Open world maps should be just that, open world.
I have been lucky enough to do DS (about 3 weeks ago) but even trying to get another run is more hassle than it’s worth.
For now I’m happy enough doing my own thing and leaving the groups (wherever they are) to do theirs.

Due to inactivity…

Unplayable Solo

Obtena.7952

Actually, I think he was exaggerating … 6 sounds too high to me.

Unplayable Solo

Vayne.8563

Actually, I think he was exaggerating … 6 sounds too high to me.

In all seriousness there is a pecentage of people who do find HoT too hard. I don’t want to make light of them. But my suspicion is whatever that percentage is 5%? 10%? 15? whatever…it’s matched or overmatched by the percentage of people who left the game because they found the open world too boring. We’ve had plenty of those posts over time too.

So if a bunch of people left because the open world is too boring and a bunch of people find HoT to hard it all evens out in the end.

And again, I like some challenging content, but I’ll probably never be a raider. I appreciate the greater challenge of HoT. I might not always be up for it, but it’s a welcome change from the rest of the game’s difficulty.

Unplayable Solo

Obtena.7952

That’s fair enough. Unlike you, I was making light of the issue because while people are accusing you of using hyperbole to make it light, they are using sensationalism to make it heavy. There isn’t any reasonable way for Anet to appease the needs of people at either end of those spectrum AND make a business of it. People don’t get that.

Unplayable Solo

Vayne.8563

That’s fair enough. Unlike you, I was making light of the issue because while people are accusing you of using hyperbole to make it light, they are using sensationalism to make it heavy. There isn’t any reasonable way for Anet to appease the needs of people at either end of those spectrum AND make a business of it. People don’t get that.

Yeah, it’s all about doing the best you can without catering to outliers, because that’s a very dangerous thing for a business to do.

If they make everything in the open world soloable, the people like me who enjoy running around in small guild groups suffer. If they make everything for hard core players, everyone who’s not hard core will suffer.

But people often believe they’re part of some kind of majority even when they’re not. Because their feelings are so strong they believe others must feel this way too, en mass.

Of course, that doesn’t really happen. You cater to the largest percentage in the center and you adjust things (as Anet recently did) if it looks too hard or too easy.

I’m pretty sure, at this point, the balance is right for the majority of players…but the outliers are always going to be with us…unless they all go to Wildstar. lol

Unplayable Solo

General Health.9678

I have to group do I?
Who with?

Well some basic assumptions. You are playing during core time and we’re talking about HoT maps.

Ok so not all the HoT maps are the same. If you want DS you will find it on a timer with people running it at core times and not at others. Use a timer site and the LFG tool. Turn up a few minutes early, be prepared to hop maps. VB on the other hand is like SW, pretty much always groups running round it.

For the last week or so, I have been on dead map after dead map, taking rally points solo because there is nobody around or have players just run past me.

This can happen. You can change that. Use the LFG tool, follow those players to wherever they’re going (sounds like it’s somewhere better than where you are).

I have accepted that some content I will never do, due to lack of skill or the group content I have no interest in and mastery 75 is where i’ll stay for now.

Me too. There’s stuff I’m not that interested in. Raiding, “legendary” Legendary journeys. However I’ve never let a lack of skill stop me doing anything. May surprise you that people will group with you just to help you out. And after that they’re fine to go back to what they’re doing. I had a guy do Zephyr’s Ascent for me the other week and that’s horrible and really really out of anyone’s way at this stage. HoT content is prime so if you need MPs, ask in the new shiny LFG menu or mapchat or w/e.

Open world maps should be just that, open world.

Not sure why you think they aren’t.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Petrol.9086

Petrol.9086

“Game X is dying!” Is probably the most common thing you see on MMO forums from disillusioned drama queens who are getting bored of the game the moment there’s a dip in active players, or there are changes they don’t like. Including WoW’s forums 10 years ago.

Can’t do much about it other than roll your eyes.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Crica.1503

Crica.1503

well, thanks for posting this thread, OP, glad I saw it before buying the expansion now that there are character boosts…I sure don’t want to spend money on a game I can’t play if no one is available to play it with me!

If I don’t like it, I won’t do it.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

this thread is headed unplayable solo, however the fact is that the game is playable solo, some will find this difficult, that’s always going to be the case. The thread is built on a falsehood.

Anet have a couple options:

1. Make zones trivial for all including the least skilled. Everything is trivial, that’s fun as long as you only ever want trivial.

2. Make some zones harder than others, this gives everyone choice. For the hardest zons, some will be able to solo, some will need help, some will grow into the zone.

its obvious what the correct option is, so those complaining please think on this.

Exactly. One has to consider the developer’s point of view.

It is near impossible to have everything please everyone. Therefore, they can only give options for everyone. In addition to the above points, While HoT may not be soloable to some, it still remains groupable. Therefore, the content is not lost due to ability. Rather, it is obtainable through networking — a thriving availability in MMO’s.

NSPride <3

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

well, thanks for posting this thread, OP, glad I saw it before buying the expansion now that there are character boosts…I sure don’t want to spend money on a game I can’t play if no one is available to play it with me!

There should be plenty of people to play with you. It’s a large MMO with a mostly friendly community.

NSPride <3

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

GW2

Unique

Pick one.

Not half as well as guild wars 2 in my opinion.

Unplayable Solo

Vayne.8563

Don’t believe everything you read on a forums.

Unplayable Solo

Dante.1508

Don’t believe everything you read on a forums.

Ditto, but this is true, pretty sure these guys never even venture into HoT, yet say its easy just to be spiteful.