Unplayable Solo

Unplayable Solo

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

well, thanks for posting this thread, OP, glad I saw it before buying the expansion now that there are character boosts…I sure don’t want to spend money on a game I can’t play if no one is available to play it with me!

Don’t believe everything you read on a forums.

Ditto, but this is true, pretty sure these guys never even venture into HoT, yet say its easy just to be spiteful.

That’s silly. I have a reasonably sized guild. Unless you think I’m lying, almost no one in my guild has any real issue with the difficulty of HoT.

We have one guy in his 60s who has vision problems who has difficulty with gliding and the 3d aspect. We have a couple of older people who need some help, again in their 60s. A guy with a computer so slow he might as well be running the game on a toaster., and that’s about it. Most people don’t really have that much of an issue.

I could show you personally if you don’t believe me.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

well, thanks for posting this thread, OP, glad I saw it before buying the expansion now that there are character boosts…I sure don’t want to spend money on a game I can’t play if no one is available to play it with me!

Ditto, but this is true, pretty sure these guys never even venture into HoT, yet say its easy just to be spiteful.

That’s silly. I have a reasonably sized guild. Unless you think I’m lying, almost no one in my guild has any real issue with the difficulty of HoT.

We have one guy in his 60s who has vision problems who has difficulty with gliding and the 3d aspect. We have a couple of older people who need some help, again in their 60s. A guy with a computer so slow he might as well be running the game on a toaster., and that’s about it. Most people don’t really have that much of an issue.

I’m not even sure that’s possible is it?

Also i take it you have all masteries are in Ascended / Legendary gears and weapons.. So of course Hot will be easier..

I have Exotic gears and some green jewelry and well i just die in 2 to 3 hits from those frog things..

Its not like i never played GW2 before i spent a year and a half playing, my builds are out of date sure maybe but i’ve enjoyed all content Guildwars threw at me to a point.

I have tried to enjoy HoT but when your downed every mob you encounter your hands hurt from dodging and trying to survive obviously the game is no longer my cup of tea..

I left due to Fractals and Ascended stuff being added The difficulties and grind were imo was the direct opposite of what guildwars was about..

The break didn’t seem to fix anything here its basically been left to the hardcores and well not much else.

I haven’t even bothered logging in for 4 days now, and am probably just going to uninstall.

(edited by Dante.1508)

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I haven’t even bothered logging in for 4 days now, and am probably just going to uninstall.

Before anyone else asks, can I have your stuff?

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

It’s not easy at first because you have new mechanics to learn. Once you do, then it becomes easier.

Unplayable Solo

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

But seriously, Dante… you’ve complained about HOT in various threads for some time now. I know the frustration you describe – I felt it too when HOT first came out. I hated the jungle. I hated DS. I fumed about it.

But I don’t anymore. I wander around by myself, taking part in events and completing maps. I even enjoy DS. The jungle doesn’t feel much harder than other zones anymore. I didn’t want to believe it for the longest time, but what some people were saying is true: if you adapt to the jungle, if you get to know its critters and use the right build and get the masteries, it does get easier. And fun.

Also i take it you have all masteries are in Ascended / Legendary gears and weapons.. So of course Hot will be easier..

From the way you said that, it sounds like you’re not keen on getting the masteries. Why is that? There is a system in place that improves your abilities and helps you survive the jungle.. You may not like the system. It may even be frustrating to acquire, but if you refuse to use it can you honestly say you’ve really tried your best to prepare?

In case you’re interested, my fav toon for playing in the jungle is a mesmer with exotic gear. I use that utility that teleports, that other utility that stealths and of course the portal so I can help other people get around. My elite skill is the mass invisibility and the mes is traited to increase the duration of stealth and to increase revive. This setup gives me a satisfying mobility around the jungle and the ability to help others.

We all have specific situations/available time/biological differences that may legitimately account for finding the jungle difficult. But we also have our own self-imposed limitations that get in our own way, usually without us knowing they’re even there. It comes down to intellectual honesty. If you’ve honestly done everything within your power to prepare for something and it’s still beyond you, fair enough. But ask yourself… do you feel you’ve done enough, or are you limiting yourself and your enjoyment?

Unplayable Solo

Vayne.8563

I have Exotic gears and some green jewelry and well i just die in 2 to 3 hits from those frog things..

Its not like i never played GW2 before i spent a year and a half playing, my builds are out of date sure maybe but i’ve enjoyed all content Guildwars threw at me to a point.

I have tried to enjoy HoT but when your downed every mob you encounter your hands hurt from dodging and trying to survive obviously the game is no longer my cup of tea..

I left due to Fractals and Ascended stuff being added The difficulties and grind were imo was the direct opposite of what guildwars was about..

The break didn’t seem to fix anything here its basically been left to the hardcores and well not much else.

Yes it’s possible and most of my guild doesn’t have full ascended. Only a small percentage of them do.

There’s a saying I repeat here quite often. It’s better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness. I offered you show you and you’re still saying it’s not possible. Believe me it’s possible.

As far as the ascended stuff goes, there’s virtually no reason in the world why you can’t have ascended trinkets. None at all. It may take a while, but it doesn’t mean you can’t have them. Ascended amulets cost either 30 laurels or 20 laurels and 250 badges of honor. They’re easy to get as anything.

And though you can get accessories with laurels as well, they’re quite expensive that way. Guild missions, which are easy enough to do, would give you enough guild commendations to get your choice of accesories for 5 gold each. Rings are so plentiful in the fractals it’s scary and they’ve gotten a lot easier, My wife and I can often two many the low level ones.

Uninstall if you want, or take a chance and see if someone can help you figure things out, that’s your choice.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

He also meant he can group with guildies everyone has an option to find a good guild there is a guild recruitment area on these forums and I think reddit has one as well, I havent checked but I know it has build ones and etc its not very active.

One of my gulidies saids he switches specs all the time depending on the content, maybe part of the issue is people are trying to use just one build for pve? I am just trying to help here, perhaps if you share your specs and gear someone might offer some help.

(edited by Ryou.2398)

Unplayable Solo

Vayne.8563

He also meant he can group with guildies everyone has an option to find a good guild there is a guild recruitment area on these forums and I think reddit has one as well, I havent checked but I know it has build ones and etc its not very active.

One of my gulidies saids he switches specs all the time depending on the content, maybe part of the issue is people are trying to use just one build for pve? I am just trying to help here, perhaps if you share your specs and gear someone might offer some help.

I use one build for PvE though. At most a switch a few skills, in very specific situations, but most of the time I don’t even bother. Yes, I’m lazy. And I can still solo most stuff.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I use one build for PvE though. At most a switch a few skills, in very specific situations, but most of the time I don’t even bother. Yes, I’m lazy. And I can still solo most stuff.

Not lazy at all. Having a favored build is perfectly reasonable as long as you are not expecting meta performance in every possible situation. I tend to not use weapon switching if I dont have to because, if my concept is for an axe warrior, then he is going to use axes. Similarly, if my concept is for an archer, he probably will not spend much time using a torch.

Unplayable Solo

Vayne.8563

Not lazy at all. Having a favored build is perfectly reasonable as long as you are not expecting meta performance in every possible situation. I tend to not use weapon switching if I dont have to because, if my concept is for an axe warrior, then he is going to use axes. Similarly, if my concept is for an archer, he probably will not spend much time using a torch.

Actually it’s because I’m changing situations so frequently that I don’t change builds. I’m always helping someone in the guild out somewhere. I don’t know where I’ll be in ten minutes. So it’s pointless to keep changing, it would take up too much game time.

I mean if I’m in the harpy fractal on a mesmer or guardian, yeah I’ll put up reflect skills, because that’s just logical. If I’m running TA and I want to clear out the poisonous blossums, I’ll throw a staff on my guardian and lead the way. But most of the time I just chug along. I seem to do okay.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Moonyeti.3296

Moonyeti.3296

I feel like you have just decided it is too hard and now nothing will change your mind. There were a few spots harder than others here and there, but I got through the entirety of the HoT storyline solo wearing rare armor and a rare long bow. Not exactly bleeding edge gear. Also, I am not some super elite player, if I can do it with a bit of perseverance most people probably can do it, it certainly is not only for the hardcores as you put it.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Zantmar.5406

Zantmar.5406

every persona and their mother wants to run meta damage dealing build, i took my warrior into HoT as meta zerk, got constantly rekt by mobs, changed my tatics line to defense, now i tank armys of said mobs

gotta adept for them harsher lands people

Life blast should hit twice and have its damage halfed
If Rocket Charge is only 2 leaps then it should look like 2 leaps
True Shot should be cast on the move

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Daroon.1736

Daroon.1736

I’m flogging a dead horse but I’ll say it again, HOT maps would be very solo player friendly if they fixed Mega servers and every map was populated.

The problem is not the map design it’s the fact that (once again) the underlying system that should ensure that the game is playable is broken.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Honestly … WOW. First you imply that people are lying to you by saying it’s easy yet they have never done HoT, then you question the validity of someone telling you HoT really isn’t as surmountable as you say it is?

Not sure if you believe this or not but the things people are telling you are true. People indeed can solo they way through the HoT maps. Some people even band together to do it if they struggle. It’s simply the nature of a veteran MMO player to achieve these goals. I think you’ve been given the benefit of the doubt here but if you’re revealing to us that you are still in some green gear after playing a few years, … well, the problem isn’t the game.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Kelly.7019

Kelly.7019

Who necro’d the 6 month old post. Are we really still talking about this? Time to close this thread down and not allow any more comments, make a new thread jeezz.

Yo, Ho, all together, raise the colors high,
Yo, Ho, thieves and beggars, never shall we die

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Who necro’d the 6 month old post. Are we really still talking about this? Time to close this thread down and not allow any more comments, make a new thread jeezz.

Haven’t this post been alive all this time?

I think there are about 3-4 posts about this that haven’t even been merged.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: battledrone.8315

battledrone.8315

I’m flogging a dead horse but I’ll say it again, HOT maps would be very solo player friendly if they fixed Mega servers and every map was populated.

The problem is not the map design it’s the fact that (once again) the underlying system that should ensure that the game is playable is broken.

you might enjoy mazes, but i dont
even without mobs, the maps would still be hostile
they were clearly made for a minority of players
when you use the majority of resources on a minority, you wont stay in the business for long

Unplayable Solo

Obtena.7952

^^ That’s a load of nonsense. Just because you don’t like HoT doesn’t mean the maps were clearly made for the minority of players. Your sensationalism does not make the impact you think it does.

You and the poster you responding to don’t seem to get it; I got this tingling intuition that Anet did not design the maps to be ‘very solo friendly’ in the first place. In fact, I know so, otherwise they would not used the word ‘challenging’ to describe the expansion in the first place.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Unplayable Solo

Vayne.8563

when you use the majority of resources on a minority, you wont stay in the business for long

First of all, two of the four maps aren’t maze-like at all, that’s AB and DS, so therefore, at MOST half the maps are mazes.

TD is truly maze-like but it’s not really hard to get around in VB, unless you just don’t play because you don’t like it.

So 25% of the expansion maps are maze like, which isn’t really that much. Anet has provided within those maps different experiences.

However, can you show me evidence that most players don’t like mazes? I’d be interested to see the studies.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

Might be misremembering but I’m pretty sure I’ve seen videos (probably Dulfy.. but if not then just YouTube Tangled Depths) of TD being done in a single run in about 40 minutes.
The path through a maze isn’t that difficult when you’ve got a video guide.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Unplayable Solo

Vayne.8563

Might be misremembering but I’m pretty sure I’ve seen videos (probably Dulfy.. but if not then just YouTube Tangled Depths) of TD being done in a single run in about 40 minutes.

It’s not really about completing the map though. It’s about when you’re in one place and someone says there’s an event up, and even though you can clearly see the commander tag, you can’t figure out how to get to it.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Daroon.1736

Daroon.1736

Agreed TD is a horrible mess of a map however most players will only need to explore once for story and achievements etc – thereafter, if they fixed the mega server system and you were confident that the map you joined would be reasonable full, even TD might hold reasonable replay value.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I find TD hard to navegate, yet I love doing things there. I just have very interesting spots and missions, and the Chak are fantastic.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

You have the almost exact same defense in full ascended or full exotic since most experienced players used glass canons gear. The difference is litterally +60 armor. That’s like less than 2% less incoming damage when you have an ascended armor vs a exotic armor. That’s nothing. If you die in 2/3 hits from those frogs, then we all gonna get killed in 2/3 hits too and our gear won’t change anything about that.

And why the hell do you play HoT with green jewellery? I mean it take like 1 or 2 hours for a complete noob to get exotic or at least rare jewellery. Do you even try to play the game?

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

p.s. my friend says MOBA or MMORPG are pay to win – its very true.

Your friend is wrong.

Depends on the Moba and mmorpg…

Then he should have said " some MOBA and MMORPG are pay to win".

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Unplayable Solo

battledrone.8315

^^ That’s a load of nonsense. Just because you don’t like HoT doesn’t mean the maps were clearly made for the minority of players. Your sensationalism does not make the impact you think it does.

You and the poster you responding to don’t seem to get it; I got this tingling intuition that Anet did not design the maps to be ‘very solo friendly’ in the first place. In fact, I know so, otherwise they would not used the word ‘challenging’ to describe the expansion in the first place.

yep, and that backfired on them
note, that the very first thing they did after launch, was a massive nerf to the new zones
they wouldnt do that, if they had a good, or even mediocre feedback
this isnt a hot dog stand , they need 100.000s of players
PAYING players
a few full instances wont cover that

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Azrexx.5469

Azrexx.5469

You have the almost exact same defense in full ascended or full exotic since most experienced players used glass canons gear. The difference is litterally +60 armor. That’s like less than 2% less incoming damage when you have an ascended armor vs a exotic armor. That’s nothing. If you die in 2/3 hits from those frogs, then we all gonna get killed in 2/3 hits too and our gear won’t change anything about that.

And why the hell do you play HoT with green jewellery? I mean it take like 1 or 2 hours for a complete noob to get exotic or at least rare jewellery. Do you even try to play the game?

On top of that, the level 80 boost gives you a full set of exotics, including exotic jewellery right?

Aurora Glade

Unplayable Solo

Obtena.7952

note, that the very first thing they did after launch, was a massive nerf to the new zones
PAYING players

Nothing backfired on them. The new zones were not designed for a minority of players. That makes no sense.

Unplayable Solo

Vayne.8563

PAYING players

I don’t know why you think the nerf was massive. It really wasn’t. It was a relatively small nerf. Yeah a few guys that were champs got changed to vets, but most of the stuff wasn’t actually nerfed.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

On top of that, the level 80 boost gives you a full set of exotics, including exotic jewellery right?

unless something changed, all of them are soul bound and you can’t buy another booster….
and saying “a complete noob can…” stuff just makes me hate you, that’s the exact kind of elitism i hate the most together with “that’s easy to do solo” and “X takes no time at all” while not taking in account with personal situations….

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Scoops.8614

Scoops.8614

PAYING players

Nothing backfired on them. The new zones were not designed for a minority of players. That makes no sense.

The problem is that you have four maps with nearly identical core design.

Get groups, do meta. If you want to do something other than the meta, that’s unfortunate. You have the solo story quests and then you’re done. That’s it, that’s all she wrote.

This leads to two problems: First, the content will inevitably need to be nerfed into oblivion at some point because people will get tired of it, and unlike with, say, the ruins of Orr, you can’t just negotiate around it. If you want those Maguuma masteries and hero points you don’t have many other choices- granted, you can complete the hero points through WvW, but that’s its own ball of yarn.

The second? If you don’t like chasing giant orgies of players around doing group content, there’s not much you can do. In the original game you had other choices, and multiplayer content of varying scale. Heart of Thorns doesn’t do this, and it goes out of it’s way to punish players who would prefer something a bit more casual. And I don’t even mean in that, “condescendingly easy” sense either.

Unplayable Solo

Vayne.8563

PAYING players

Get groups, do meta. If you want to do something other than the meta, that’s unfortunate. You have the solo story quests and then you’re done. That’s it, that’s all she wrote.

This leads to two problems: First, the content will inevitably need to be nerfed into oblivion at some point because people will get tired of it, and unlike with, say, the ruins of Orr, you can’t just negotiate around it. If you want those Maguuma masteries and hero points you don’t have many other choices- granted, you can complete the hero points through WvW, but that’s its own ball of yarn.

The second? If you don’t like chasing giant orgies of players around doing group content, there’s not much you can do. In the original game you had other choices, and multiplayer content of varying scale. Heart of Thorns doesn’t do this, and it goes out of it’s way to punish players who would prefer something a bit more casual. And I don’t even mean in that, “condescendingly easy” sense either.

I must be doing something wrong, because I go through these maps solo or with my wife and often avoid the meta.

I gather, work on achievements, or zone completion. If I run into an HP I can’t do solo, I put something in map chat and usually people show up. The mega server, even though it’s not working correctly, will be fixed at some point, so you’ll only need enough people to fill a single zone. The zones won’t have to be nerfed, any more than the silverwastes or Dry Top have had to be nerfed.

It’s only about the meta because that’s what you believe. But once you have crowbars (I have more than a stack) you can go on a chest run, just like the silverwastes in VB. If you have currency from the zones, you can buy machetes and go open chests in DS. You can do the same in all four zones.

You can play adventures, which some people seem to like. You can just farm mats, just like anywhere else in the game.

I’ve done the TD meta maybe have a dozen times, but I enjoy the quest chains and yes, most of them can be done with a couple of people and a lot of events can even be done solo.

People are blinded by the meta.

Unplayable Solo

Obtena.7952

PAYING players

There is more solo content than you make it seem, but there isn’t any point arguing it with you or others incapable of soloing HoT other than to say people have more options for solo content than just the story.

I don’t see that as a problem; if Anet wants to readjust because of populations, that’s a GOOD solution IMO … and they have shown they are willing to address people’s concerns there. Or you know … people can do what they typically do in MMO’s to solve content; team up.

Ok Choices. Let’s talk about that… from my perspective, HoT give you one more option for multiplayer content of varying scale than core does. Core is either solo or zerging events; Teaming to complete maps is actually very inefficient because of the weakness of the mobs. In HoT, you have those things AND small team format to clear maps because the mobs aren’t weak … everyone gets tag on a mob and it’s a nice casual roam through the content.

For me, this whole topic simply is a question of players being lazy. yup, I said it … people that don’t want to team up for open world content are just lazy. If you need to, nothing stops you from doing it and it’s not unreasonable given the game format. It’s not hard because apparently, lots of people have problems .. or this whole thread is really such a non-issue that it’s just not a thing.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Well first of all you don’t need to group up for HP. Just at VB out of 9 HP, 7 are soloable. You have more than enough soloable HP in the 4 HOT maps to full all your elite spec. On top of that you have all the HP from core game and from WvW/EotM. So the problem is only that people see a coupe of HP that need a group and they get upset. At launch they exagerrated a little with maybe 60% of the HP only being soloable, but you could still finish your elite with the 4 maps. Now you can complete in less maps.

As for the second it depend. In vb, most event are like for only 2-3 ppl. The map even encourage players to spread out. The only time when you really need to group up is for the 5 boss. For AB, people are pretty spread out until the end of the map, at TD same thing. The only map where this is a ’’problem’’ is DS. But even there you can play the side events where there is usualy only like 5 people doing.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Unplayable Solo

battledrone.8315

meh, never mind, i never made it to top level after WOTLK either
ill just take the rest of my alts to 80, and call it a day

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

Never completed my masteries, as couldn’t do most of the ‘mini-games’ locked behind various gates to get the mastery points, not were there ever enough in the core game to unlock those either- again, locked behind too many gates or JPs.

Luckily, I don’t need most of them for wvw. But my worry is when they bring the next expansion that they repeat the same mistake ot make it even worse by assuming a certain level of masteries before you enter.

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

Unplayable Solo

General Health.9678

It’s not really about completing the map though. It’s about when you’re in one place and someone says there’s an event up, and even though you can clearly see the commander tag, you can’t figure out how to get to it.

The map is in sections. If there’s an event going on, it’s happening in or around a waypoint. Rata Novus events take place in Rata Novus for instance. Once you’ve followed the video and opened the map it’s simple to get to the waypoint where the event is happening.

And the same thing can be said in core Tyria maps. I’ve been on many an Orr map, especially now people have insta-80s and they ask how to get to Grenth. In Silverwastes and Dry Top people are always asking how to get somewhere.

Familiarity plays a large part in getting round any map. HoT maps require a bit more work but in my opinion that’s what the videos are for, they’re a tool players can use to help themselves out.

If they can’t be bothered and I’m only partly judging people who don’t want to help themselves then when the shout goes up that the Skelk is up, ask in mapchat, “how do I get to that” and someone will say “Great Tree, go down and round” or whatever. If you can’t watch a video and can’t follow the in-map instructions then HoT isn’t the only place you’re having trouble with.

Unplayable Solo

Vayne.8563

The map is in sections. If there’s an event going on, it’s happening in or around a waypoint. Rata Novus events take place in Rata Novus for instance. Once you’ve followed the video and opened the map it’s simple to get to the waypoint where the event is happening.

And the same thing can be said in core Tyria maps. I’ve been on many an Orr map, especially now people have insta-80s and they ask how to get to Grenth. In Silverwastes and Dry Top people are always asking how to get somewhere.

Familiarity plays a large part in getting round any map. HoT maps require a bit more work but in my opinion that’s what the videos are for, they’re a tool players can use to help themselves out.

If they can’t be bothered and I’m only partly judging people who don’t want to help themselves then when the shout goes up that the Skelk is up, ask in mapchat, “how do I get to that” and someone will say “Great Tree, go down and round” or whatever. If you can’t watch a video and can’t follow the in-map instructions then HoT isn’t the only place you’re having trouble with.

I’ve spent a lot of time in TD and I still get confused about how to get to certain places. The degree of difficulty in navigating Tyria is greater by far than the degree of skill you need to navigate Orr. Or has a few hidden areas, but most of them are on the same level. TD is different.

As for the video, I absolutely believe that you shouldn’t have to watch a video just to get around a zone. It’s nice that some people like that sort of thing, but it’s not for everyone. Watching a video to learn a raid is one thing. Watching a video to walk around…I never needed to do that in Guild Wars 2.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: trub.1657

trub.1657

I spend the majority of my precious gaming time (I work full time) In Auric Basin.
My gear is mostly exotics, for I have no use for ascended gear outside of fracs and WvW.
Frogs stomp, I dodge. Snipers shoot at me, I dodge. Crazy flipping saurians run at me- I run away faster.
I am an ‘older’ gamer approaching my 6th decade, and I feel like a kid again playing video games!
So yes, some areas are more difficult than others, and a squad is to your advantage.
But to play solo? No. The more appealing part of this game for me is the people, the art, and the hilarious things people say in map chat
Keep calm, and play on!

I have Splinter Barrage- I am a Ritualist.
I have a pet- I am a Ranger.
I have Avatar of Balthazar- I am a Dervish.

Unplayable Solo

General Health.9678

Watching a video to learn a raid is one thing. Watching a video to walk around…I never needed to do that in Guild Wars 2.

No it’s the same thing. You can’t do something, you watch a video. Doesn’t matter what it is you can’t do. There is no “well that is harder than this other thing”. It’s something you can’t do and there’s a video you can watch.

GW2 would be a much more boring place if the map designs hadn’t gone and done something different. It’s harder than core Tyria but it’s not that hard. I’m in the process of taking all my toons through HoT, they’ve all done VB, that feels really familiar now, half are done with AB, I probably don’t need to watch the video again when I take the next one round. Quarter are done with TD, I will probably watch the video guide again for the next one just to be more efficient with the next run. TD I’ve not mapped yet, just followed zergs.

I’m watching videos because I didn’t know the zones to start off with and I’m taking 9 zerk toons (one of each profession) round. As they get glassier.. I need to remind myself what I’m doing and how I’m doing it. Until the point I know enough.

This is the same with dungeons, raids, a new class, pvp, wvw.. anything new.

Same with builds. “I don’t know how to make this rev”.. there’s a build site. You can’t claim “I never needed a build site in GW2”.. because it’s just a tool.. use it or don’t.

There are guides to chef, weaponsmith etc. They didn’t exist when I started and I still managed to max them all out. Didn’t “need” them. Don’t “need” the HoT videos either. It’s not about need, it’s about using the tools that are there. The level 10 key farm? You can bet I referred back to that guide every time. Was never about “need”, was about making my playing experience better for me.

(edited by General Health.9678)

Unplayable Solo

Vayne.8563

Watching a video to learn a raid is one thing. Watching a video to walk around…I never needed to do that in Guild Wars 2.

No it’s the same thing. You can’t do something, you watch a video. Doesn’t matter what it is you can’t do. There is no “well that is harder than this other thing”. It’s something you can’t do and there’s a video you can watch.

GW2 would be a much more boring place if the map designs hadn’t gone and done something different. It’s harder than core Tyria but it’s not that hard. I’m in the process of taking all my toons through HoT, they’ve all done VB, that feels really familiar now, half are done with AB, I probably don’t need to watch the video again when I take the next one round. Quarter are done with TD, I will probably watch the video guide again for the next one just to be more efficient with the next run. TD I’ve not mapped yet, just followed zergs.

I’m watching videos because I didn’t know the zones to start off with and I’m taking 9 zerk toons (one of each profession) round. As they get glassier.. I need to remind myself what I’m doing and how I’m doing it. Until the point I know enough.

This is the same with dungeons, raids, a new class, pvp, wvw.. anything new.

Same with builds. “I don’t know how to make this rev”.. there’s a build site. You can’t claim “I never needed a build site in GW2”.. because it’s just a tool.. use it or don’t.

There are guides to chef, weaponsmith etc. They didn’t exist when I started and I still managed to max them all out. Didn’t “need” them. Don’t “need” the HoT videos either. It’s not about need, it’s about using the tools that are there. The level 10 key farm? You can bet I referred back to that guide every time. Was never about “need”, was about making my playing experience better for me.

See this is where I disagree. There are a lot of casual players out there who don’t play to watch videos. They play to figure stuff out. I’m sort of one of those players in fact. I’d rather bang my head against something than watch a video. I’d rather work it out.

And I’m not actually complaining about the HoT zones personally, but I can see where people would find themselves terribly confused in TD. And you know, a lot of casual players probably don’t come to the forums and won’t even be aware there are videos. That’s just the nature of the beast.

The same people that are complaining they can’t solo the map most likely.

Unplayable Solo

General Health.9678

There are books on parenting, DJ’ing, DIY, car maintenance. They are there to make your life easier. You can give birth without one, people have been giving birth long before we figured out how to write. You can bet I bought a bunch of them when I had my kids tho.

You say you’d rather do anything than watch a video. I understand that. They help. Don’t want the help, don’t complain. I am not aiming this at you by any means but kids live on twitch and youtube. Look at how many watched *woodenpotatoes or angry jim or nike for commentary and matches. Players DO know about videos and online help, the last couple of generations are digital natives and if you’re older than that then you’re the parent or uncle of one so there are no excuses for not knowing about online help.

*I have no idea who those people are, I’m semi-guessing those were their names from all the threads that mention watching them (people complaining watch videos)

We should NOT be catering to people who are so casual they essentially don’t play the game.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Some players consider watching a video, using a dulfy guide or using the wiki a form of “cheating”.

Not me, I hasten to add. As these games get ever bigger and my memory capacity gets ever smaller so I find the wiki invaluable but it does seem as though some parts of the game are now designed with the expectation that you will use a wiki or a guide rather than figure it out yourself. There have been several occasions where I have completed a collection or an achievement and thought “well how the heck was I supposed to have known that without the wiki?”

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

unless something changed, all of them are soul bound and you can’t buy another booster….
and saying “a complete noob can…” stuff just makes me hate you, that’s the exact kind of elitism i hate the most together with “that’s easy to do solo” and “X takes no time at all” while not taking in account with personal situations….

Well a complete noob can actually get ascended amulet and accessories I think, the only thing one have to do is to log in each day and collect laurels. Sooner or later you have enough to buy the ascended trinkets, only rings need globs (I may have mixed them but anyway). Also ascended trinkets are account bound.

Now getting exotic accessories isn’t that hard either, if you managed to play core game until HoT you should have enough gold to buy exotic stuff.

Anyway, some of my characters have full green armor in HoT, it is hard but I can still manage to solo enough to get through story.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I play HoT with some green jewellery on one character because I keep forgetting to go switch. It is mostly okay. The character has 100% completion in VB, AB and TD.

Against those frogs it doesn’t really matter anyway. The best decision is just skip any you encounter. If they show up at an event then skip the whole event.

Unplayable Solo

Obtena.7952

I think the point people are making about someone that uses green jewelry is either:

1. they are good enough to not notice and can be successful regardless
2. they don’t care enough to outfit themselves for success and don’t deserve the sympathy when they fail

Clearly, anyone having problems in HoT doesn’t fit point 1. I find any complaints about HoT being difficult from someone who hasn’t even bothered to get out of their green gear to be completely disingenuous or ignorant. If they don’t care enough to try to even get RARES, then I have a hard time thinking they are trying at all to solve the problems they encounter in the game .. or play it with their eyes open for that matter.

Yeah I get it, green jewelry guy doesn’t think a game should be challenging, so shlubbing their way through Core in green gear fools them into thinking they can play the game. That’s Anet’s fault. Core is TOO easy but I get why they did that. I also get that somewhere their is some real experienced gamer exes saying “If your game is too easy, what’s going to keep gamers from leaving in your ‘horizontal’ visual aesthetic progression MMO business model?”

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: XerMeLL.6042

XerMeLL.6042

Solo players cannot advance in the new content, and any decent publisher would disclose such a fundamental change prior to taking your money.

hi, id like to know where are you at the game and what content are you playing?

if you are in open world pve in tyria then its very much soloable, including mini boss. you are not force to do it with groups, there are soloable contents that can make you progress in game. and…

You need to understand the difference between an instance mmo(diablo 3) – can be done solo just like Super Mario and an open world mmo – that encourages group content. The name itself speaks of it GUILD Wars.

This is the last MMORPG ill play.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Stevieboy.4192

Stevieboy.4192

Open world maps should be just that, open world.

Not sure why you think they aren’t
Areas of map blocked by ‘Vines’ reliant on map meta to proceed is why.

Due to inactivity…

(edited by Stevieboy.4192)

Unplayable Solo

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Sort of blocked. Some of the AB vine walls can be glided over.

Unplayable Solo

battledrone.8315

and if its blocked by a vine, for any reason, then its not OPEN, is it?