Veteran entitlement mentality.

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Lyger.5429

Lyger.5429

I think we need to stop replying to posts like these cause they clearly don’t see where others are coming from and just keep defending Arena and their purchase.

I see where people are coming from. And its wrong. Its not even an opinion at this point, they are saying “this certain thing is happening” when it really isnt.

Oh so this it about you being right and everyone else wrong? No wonder Anet thought they could get away with this,

Posted by: Jongi.7612

Jongi.7612

I think we need to stop replying to posts like these cause they clearly don’t see where others are coming from and just keep defending Arena and their purchase.

I see where people are coming from. And its wrong. Its not even an opinion at this point, they are saying “this certain thing is happening” when it really isnt.

except it is :^) Since they removed the core game from the shop and all.
You can deny it, but facts are facts regardless of your approvation.

Or , you know, you can try to convince all the other medias that they are also wrong. Go on, there is a thread in the first page with the list of sites discussing the situation.

What other media? The ones that agree that giving new players the core game with purchase of the expansion is a smart idea and that all the other companies out there do pretty much the same thing yet people dont kitten and complain to them?

How can something also be an opinion and fact? The fact is your buying HoT for $50.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

sigh I wish the ‘you are all entitled’ people could stop being fanboys and look at it logically. It is not about cost or anything (I already bought ultimate for my main). It is because they used a back door to the ‘you need the base game to play hot’ by giving it away to new purchasers.

The argument ’it was a fixed price" fails. I use the gem store so I pay more than I would pay in a subscription fee elsewhere.

The argument “you got to experience X” also fails. I joined the game the game in October and the LA battle and such took place before that. It is even worse for the people who believed they would need base so bought it recently to be ready for HOT: they did not even get the content I was here for, like wintersday, most of season 2, and april fool’s.

Existing users can not use the included base game. So it only makes sense to make up for it and the prevailing ask is for a character slot to actually play with the new profession.

Posted by: Arkblue.6129

Arkblue.6129

Or , you know, you can try to convince all the other medias that they are also wrong. Go on, there is a thread in the first page with the list of sites discussing the situation.

What other media? The ones that agree that giving new players the core game with purchase of the expansion is a smart idea and that all the other companies out there do pretty much the same thing yet people dont kitten and complain to them?

How can something also be an opinion and fact? The fact is your buying HoT for $50.

Oh, so that’s your problem, you’re in denial
Good to know.

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

I often imagine others typing out their responses on there keyboards. the clacking of keys constructing their response. hunched over in concentration, squeaking the desk chair.

I imagine Jongi in a sunlit field. the noon sun casts an amber glow over the scene. his roots and tendrils push out of the soil, and would lie languid if it were not for us. the roots and tendrils press and release the keys forging words worth the matter they emerged from. it is a pretty sight.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

Jongi.7612

Oh so this it about you being right and everyone else wrong? No wonder Anet thought they could get away with this,

If that helps you sleep at night, say whatever you want. But your just creating a scenario that doesnt exist. If im wrong prove it, me and so many other people have explained and where to go look about these things you guys keep bringing up. HoT is $50, your not getting anything more or less than a new player, and your not entitled to getting free stuff because you have been playing for 3 years.

Jongi.7612

Good to know.

What denial where? Massively said basically quit complaining, I paid 100 dollars for skyrim and now its 5 dollars but you dont see us kittening. It just seems like you guys are so salty because you want something for free and arent getting it.

Posted by: Straylight.7529

Straylight.7529

Existing users can not use the included base game. So it only makes sense to make up for it and the prevailing ask is for a character slot to actually play with the new profession.

Existing users don’t get a base game. The phrase “included base game” is aimed to inform new players that they don’t have to purchase the base game on top of HoT. You pay $50 for HoT and only for HoT. If you are a new player you also pay $50 for HoT and only for HoT but you get the base game thrown after you for free.
If you don’t like the fact that new players get the base game for free… I suggest you simply stop caring about what other people get.

Posted by: Lyger.5429

Lyger.5429

If that helps you sleep at night, say whatever you want. But your just creating a scenario that doesnt exist. If im wrong prove it, me and so many other people have explained and where to go look about these things you guys keep bringing up. HoT is $50, your not getting anything more or less than a new player, and your not entitled to getting free stuff because you have been playing for 3 years.

Okay I’ll play your game, let’s say you’re right and I’m wrong. What do you lose if Anet does decide to compensate us?

Posted by: echo.2053

echo.2053

so player A pays $50 gets core +HoT
Player B already owning core pays $50 and only gets HoT

Tell me more how that’s not bait and switch xD- I enjoy

especially when “Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns expansion(includes Guild Wars 2 core game)” is on the buy page

It’s not bait and switch. It’s an incentive for new players to buy HoT. They could have also offered the core game on a reduced price but apparently they felt generous and gave it for free if you’re a new player.

or they could have had a reduced HoT deal for existing players with the current price package for new players ( this is where the rage is stemming)

Its not bait and switch? so you have access to play on the second core game purchased through this promotion?

Again, stop thinking about what other people get. It’s none of your business if Bob gets a better deal because he’s a new player. All you have to ask yourself is “is HoT worth 50$ for ME”. That is something only you can decide and the answer should not be influenced if some other guy gets a free core game/character slot/mini/unicorn/whatever and you don’t.

You’ll be happier if you adopt this kind of non-envious thinking. Trust me.

You’re not purchasing a second core game. You are purchasing HoT. If you are a new player you get the core game for free.

again “Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns expansion(includes Guild Wars 2 core game)” from the buy page

I get that you don’t mind throwing ma’s money away without care – why should you you didn’t have to work for it, As for me When i purchase something i going to make sure i get what i paid for. If im paying for a new core game then im going to make sure i can use that new core game.

Why does this matter to you anyways? seriously worst case scenario they lower the price either refunding you back the difference or offering something else to make up the difference… you still benefit either way. So before telling me the value of a dollar ( which is pretty clear since your paying more for less) take a page out of your own autobiography because it’s "none of your business " what another player is getting. right?

Bender the offender – Proud violator of 17 safe spaces –

Straylight.7529

Okay I’ll play your game, let’s say you’re right and I’m wrong. What do you lose if Anet does decide to compensate us?

You would lose nothing of course. But Arenanet doesn’t feel like they owe you something for having purchased the game in the past.
Would it be great if Arenanet compensated you? of course!
Do they have to? no, they don’t.

Jongi.7612

No one would lose anything. But the only people that they should compensate are the people who recently bought the game then the pre-purchase was released with the core game for new players bonus tacked on. I have been saying that they should get something from the beginning.

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

Existing users don’t get a base game. The phrase “included base game” is aimed to inform new players that they don’t have to purchase the base game on top of HoT. You pay $50 for HoT and only for HoT. If you are a new player you also pay $50 for HoT and only for HoT but you get the base game thrown after you for free.
If you don’t like the fact that new players get the base game for free… I suggest you simply stop caring about what other people get.

riddle me this: if it says ‘includes base game’ but I don’t get it does it?

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

Again, stop thinking about what other people get. It’s none of your business if Bob gets a better deal because he’s a new player. All you have to ask yourself is “is HoT worth 50$ for ME”. That is something only you can decide and the answer should not be influenced if some other guy gets a free core game/character slot/mini/unicorn/whatever and you don’t.

You’re not purchasing a second core game. You are purchasing HoT. If you are a new player you get the core game for free.

Yeah that what we did. Here is more or less how it went while thinking about the package : HoT is sold to new players with a copy of GW2 core. GW2 core even if not for sale anymore is still worth at least $20 currently so the value of the HoT part of the package is at around $30. But somehow, I won’t receive my GW2 core. So I’m buying a $30 item by paying $50. This won’t do, let’s complain!

ANet words mean nothing. They can call that expansion kitten cure for all I care, I know what I’m buying (well, maybe not the content but that’s another issue XD) I get to decide the value of what I’m purchasing. I then compare that value to the price.

Straylight.7529

riddle me this: if it says ‘includes base game’ but I don’t get it does it?

If you are a new player you get the base game.
If you already have the base game you don’t get it again since you already have it.
You are paying 50$ for HoT just like everyone else.

Yeah that what we did. Here is more or less how it went while thinking about the package : HoT is sold to new players with a copy of GW2 core. GW2 core even if not for sale anymore is still worth at least $20 currently so the value of the HoT part of the package is at around $30. But somehow, I won’t receive my GW2 core. So I’m buying a $30 item by paying $50. This won’t do, let’s complain!

Again, you’re basing your assumptions on what someone else gets. Just don’t do that, problem solved. If you on the other hand think that 50$ is too much for the content you(personally) get (which we don’t fully know yet) that would be ok.

(edited by Straylight.7529)

Arkblue.6129

Good to know.

What denial where? Massively said basically quit complaining, I paid 100 dollars for skyrim and now its 5 dollars but you dont see us kittening. It just seems like you guys are so salty because you want something for free and arent getting it.

Sure, you paid 100 dollars , what , 4 years ago?
And now it still costs , what? 15? And you have to pay it or wait for sales, otherwise it’s 15. Not “free with Dawnguard”. Not, “free with dragonborn”. You pay 15 bucks and then, if you want, you also buy the DLC.

I’ll quote;
“That said, ArenaNet probably should have thrown its loyalists a bone to engender a fresh round of goodwill and soften them up for that $50 price point. That’s a standard way to keep existing customers happy and virally promoting their games. Hey, I know! How about a free character slot so we can roll up a Revenant? Yeah! Great idea, internet!”
[—-]
“Is this a fair debate for the MMO community to have? Sure. But do it reasonably and rationally. If you’re using the words “*entitled*” or “slap in the face” or “ boycott ,” you’re doing it wrong.”
[—-]
“This is one of the bigger screw-ups in a long history of big ones for ANet, but it won’t be the last, no matter how much Reddit rages”

(edited by Arkblue.6129)

Posted by: Solori.6025

Solori.6025

especially when “Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns expansion(includes Guild Wars 2 core game)” is on the buy page

It’s not bait and switch. It’s an incentive for new players to buy HoT. They could have also offered the core game on a reduced price but apparently they felt generous and gave it for free if you’re a new player.

or they could have had a reduced HoT deal for existing players with the current price package for new players ( this is where the rage is stemming)

Its not bait and switch? so you have access to play on the second core game purchased through this promotion?

again “Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns expansion(includes Guild Wars 2 core game)” from the buy page

I get that you don’t mind throwing ma’s money away without care – why should you you didn’t have to work for it, As for me When i purchase something i going to make sure i get what i paid for. If im paying for a new core game then im going to make sure i can use that new core game.

Why does this matter to you anyways? seriously worst case scenario they lower the price either refunding you back the difference or offering something else to make up the difference… you still benefit either way. So before telling me the value of a dollar ( which is pretty clear since your paying more for less) take a page out of your own autobiography because it’s "none of your business " what another player is getting. right?

I’ve tried explaining this.
It’s like trying to explain right and wrong to the joker, not gonna happen or work

The world needs more KUNG FURY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

Jongi.7612

And theres a strawman. I make my own money thanks. And your not paying for the core game again. Its been explained and explained and explained and its just not getting through.

Arkblue.6129

And theres a strawman. I make my own money thanks. And your not paying for the core game again. Its been explained and explained and explained and its just not getting through.

It’s not getting through because it’s false. It’s just Anet wording it that way, but the game is no longer in the shop, and last time it was it costed 40 euros. 20 or 10 during sales.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

You know what your problem is? You’re arguing against points no one is making. You spend your time distorting what people are saying, twisting it into strawmen, putting them on dead horses and then gleefully beating them, beating them, beating them until you have enough glue to put your next faulty argument together.

Point in fact: you’re again implying that people are feeling entitled to free stuff. Please stop that nonsense.

Jongi.7612

Good to know.

And now it still costs , what? 20? And you have to pay it or wait for sales, otherwise it’s 20. Not “free with Dawnguard”. Not, “free with dragonborn”.

I’ll quote;
“That said, ArenaNet probably should have thrown its loyalists a bone to engender a fresh round of goodwill and soften them up for that $50 price point. That’s a standard way to keep existing customers happy and virally promoting their games. Hey, I know! How about a free character slot so we can roll up a Revenant? Yeah! Great idea, internet!”
[—-]
“Is this a fair debate for the MMO community to have? Sure. But do it reasonably and rationally. If you’re using the words “*entitled*” or “slap in the face” or “ boycott ,” you’re doing it wrong.”
[—-]
“This is one of the bigger screw-ups in a long history of big ones for ANet, but it won’t be the last, no matter how much Reddit rages”

They could of made it free if they wanted too. Its their game, if they want to give it away for free thats their choice. GW2 was released 3 years ago, if they make it cost 5 bucks or free it shouldnt matter to a veteran player. The only people it should matter to is the people who paid for the game recently and now have to pay again for the expansion thus losing money.

Straylight.7529

It’s not getting through because it’s false. It’s just Anet wording it that way, but the game is no longer in the shop, and last time it was it costed 40 euros. 20 or 10 during sales.

But why would you buy the core game as a new player if you get the core game AND HoT for 50$?

echo.2053

If you are not paying for the core game again, then why are you paying the same price as someone buying the core game?

You can use your printer to make all the money you want, that still doesn’t mean you know the value of a dollar kiddo.

Jongi.7612

You know what your problem is? You’re arguing against points no one is making. You spend your time distorting what people are saying, twisting it into strawmen, putting them on dead horses and then gleefully beating them, beating them, beating them until you have enough glue to put your next faulty argument together.

Point in fact: you’re again implying that people are feeling entitled to free stuff. Please stop that nonsense.

No one is making points im arguing against? So no one is saying Im also paying for the game when I guy HoT? No one is saying that veterans should get something for free? No one is saying that they should get a free copy of the core game to use somewhere else? Are you even paying attention to the thread?

stof.9341

But why would you buy the core game as a new player if you get the core game AND HoT for 50$?

And what if HoT is worthless and the core game is good? Why wouldn’t you just want to buy the good part?

Jongi.7612

If you are not paying for the core game again, then why are you paying the same price as someone buying the core game?

You can use your printer to make all the money you want, that still doesn’t mean you know the value of a dollar kiddo.

Mr. Salty over here. And no your not paying for the core game again, your paying for HoT no matter if the core game is attached or not.

Arkblue.6129

Good to know.

And now it still costs , what? 20? And you have to pay it or wait for sales, otherwise it’s 20. Not “free with Dawnguard”. Not, “free with dragonborn”.

I’ll quote;
[—-]
[—-]

They could of made it free if they wanted too. Its their game, if they want to give it away for free thats their choice. GW2 was released 3 years ago, if they make it cost 5 bucks or free it shouldnt matter to a veteran player. The only people it should matter to is the people who paid for the game recently and now have to pay again for the expansion thus losing money.

Little math lesson:
5 is greater than 1 . 5 times greater.
10 is greater than 1. 10 Times greater.
1 is greater than zero. Infinite times greater.
If core game was free, it’s worth would be zero. if they include it in HoT, they give it away for free, as if the added value was zero.
By offering this deal only to new players, they are reducing the number greater than zero that makes up the value of the core game to zero.
Unless you are Big Boss at the ending of Metal Gear Solid 4, you can’t reduce 1 back to zero.

Posted by: ReaverKane.7598

ReaverKane.7598

You would lose nothing of course. But Arenanet doesn’t feel like they owe you something for having purchased the game in the past.
Would it be great if Arenanet compensated you? of course!
Do they have to? no, they don’t.

I’m afraid you miss the point entirely.
This isn’t about older players being compensated for playing for a while. While that would be a nice gesture (and they do it in the form of birthday presents), that isn’t the problem.
The problem is people pay the same for the same product, and old players get 45€ worth of it (which is overpriced). New players get 84€ worth (assuming the “regular” price of 39€ for the core game). Thats the same as you going to the restaurant and the waiter serving you half a plate to you and a full plate to the guy on the next table.
And that’s what’s at stake here, its that old players not only aren’t being thanked for their continued support (which is the only reason they have an expac to sell, btw) but they’re being actually aggrieved.

Straylight.7529

No one is buying the core game anymore. Veteran players buy HoT. New players buy HoT and get the core game for free.
No one buys for the core game anymore.

I’m afraid you miss the point entirely.
This isn’t about older players being compensated for playing for a while. While that would be a nice gesture (and they do it in the form of birthday presents), that isn’t the problem.
The problem is people pay the same for the same product, and old players get 45€ worth of it (which is overpriced). New players get 84€ worth (assuming the “regular” price of 39€ for the core game). Thats the same as you going to the restaurant and the waiter serving you half a plate to you and a full plate to the guy on the next table.
And that’s what’s at stake here, its that old players not only aren’t being thanked for their continued support (which is the only reason they have an expac to sell, btw) but they’re being actually aggrieved.

It’s not overpriced. It IS the price. 50$ is the price you have to pay to play HoT. Everyone who arrived late at the party (aka new players) get the core game (the old content) for free. There’s nothing wrong about that. It happens everywhere.

Your restaurant example is also flawed. I’m not getting half the plate because I’m a veteran. I don’t get half of HoT. I get everything , just like the new players and we both pay the same price for it.

(edited by Straylight.7529)

stof.9341

Mr. Salty over here. And no your not paying for the core game again, your paying for HoT no matter if the core game is attached or not.

And who is paying for the new players core game?

Jongi.7612

And what if HoT is worthless and the core game is good? Why wouldn’t you just want to buy the good part?

Thats a totally different argument. But I guess youll just have to buy the expansion and not take part in HoT. How would you know you dont like the expansion however without first experiencing it which involves purchasing it. Or playing it on a friends comp.

stof.9341

No one is buying the core game anymore. Veteran players buy HoT. New players buy HoT and get the core game for free.

The core game isn’t free. It’s impossible. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_free_lunch#Meanings

New players do not pay for the core game? Then someone else is paying for them. Since veteran players pay the same price for HoT than new players, they feel that THEY are paying for them. Which is why they are angry.

Posted by: joneb.5679

joneb.5679

LoL what I wrote is fact. It’s not opinion. I did not say the original game is available otherwise than with the HoT. I said its bundled with it free of charge as Anet have stated the price of Hot includes the original for free. That is fact. Also its fact that no matter the price, the bundle is more favourable to new customers and it is a bundle no matter what. There is no question that the base game is required. That changes nothing of the cost and value to new and current players.

It’s becoming apparent you are not capable of making sense of this. The analogy you use of restaurants giving free sample is evidence of that. Free samples are never full meals in my experiwnce. they are a very tiny portion as an example of the food on offer. Maybe you are thinking of a voucher for the first visit.

Im not getting involved in your endless illogical debate. I already made it clear we are owed nothing from Anet and that they are free to not do anything for current customers. I also said its business but I’m the kind of person who believes in human decency and decency over business would mean Anet would give better value on the new HoT expansion for current customers too.

Okay enjoy what ever you are intending to do with this thread.

I use forums to give my opinions but I mostly avoid discussing over
them due to those less than polite individuals out there and their offensive attitude.

(edited by joneb.5679)

Jongi.7612

The core game isn’t free. It’s impossible. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_free_lunch#Meanings

New players do not pay for the core game? Then someone else is paying for them. Since veteran players pay the same price for HoT than new players, they feel that THEY are paying for them. Which is why they are angry.

Or ANet is being nice and giving it to people so they can get into the game. No one is taking money out of your pocket or anyone elses to pay for their core game.

Manasa Devi.7958

No one is making points im arguing against? So no one is saying Im also paying for the game when I guy HoT? No one is saying that veterans should get something for free? No one is saying that they should get a free copy of the core game to use somewhere else? Are you even paying attention to the thread?

I’m not saying you’re only arguing against points no one is making, but several things you’re arguing against are. Like veterans wanting stuff for free, that’s not happening. People are stating what they would find acceptable deals instead of the one offered by ANet.

Arkblue.6129

LoL what I wrote is fact. It’s not opinion. I did not say the original game is available otherwise than with the HoT. I said its bundled with it free of charge as Anet have stated the price of Hot includes the original for free. That is fact. Also its fact that no matter the price, the bundle is more favourable to new customers and it is a bundle no matter what. There is no question that the base game is required. That changes nothing of the cost and value to new and current players.

It’s becoming apparent you are not capable of making sense of this. The analogy you use of restaurants giving free sample is evidence of that. Free samples are never full meals in my experiwnce. they are a very tiny portion as an example of the food on offer. Maybe you are thinking of a voucher for the first visit.

Im not getting involved in your endless illogical debate. I already made it clear we are owed nothing from Anet and that they are free to not do anything for current customers. I also said its business but I’m the kind of person who believes in human decency and decency over business would mean Anet would give better value on the new HoT expansion only for current customers.

Decency, credibility and affection are also main factors when you monetize on aesthetic content. If a subscription games loses credibility, they still retain the full value of their subscription, as long as players don’t completely quit the game.
When a f2p game with cash shop model loses credibility everyone starts purchasing less.

echo.2053

It makes all the difference monopoly money man. You’ll maybe find out later when you go to buy a car with all the options at a fully loaded vehicle price only to find that it has hand cranked roll down windows but as the heir to your throne said " don’t worry about what the other customers are getting for their money"

Straylight.7529

Yes, it’s possible. It’s happening right now. If you are a new player you get the core game for free if you purchase HoT. You pay for HoT you get the core game for free.

Manasa Devi.7958

You guys need to look at the entire picture, time investment you got out of the core game, what you were able to experience when other people who are new cannot and what is actually happening.

You guys need to look at the entire picture, time investment you got out of the core game, what you were able to experience when other people who are new cannot and what is actually ha7ppening.

Everything we enjoyed before was paid for when we originally paid for the game.

If you’re telling us that we should consider that enjoyment the thing that veterans get instead of the free base game that new players are getting, you’re actually agreeing that they’re paying double.

There, you’ve defeated your own argument, sounds like the perfect time to rethink your position and give this nonsense a rest. How does it feel to agree with the critics and not even realize it?

No, where are you getting that from? People who paid 3 years ago got their monies worth 3 years ago. HoT is 50 dollars with or without the core game so I havent defeated my own argument. New players are paying 50 dollars for the expansion, and vet players are paying 50 dollars for the expansion.

Please, own up to what you’re saying. You were justifying veterans getting less by pointing out what they already got before. It’s out in the open for all to see. I guess it’s hard to keep track of all the nonsense you’re spouting.

I have, your getting HoT, nothing more nothing less.

So what did you mean when you were writing what’s in the topmost quote in this post?

Still waiting for an answer to this, by the way.

Posted by: Ricky.4706

Ricky.4706

u know, if they called hot an upgrade, it would not be a problem …that’s how upgrades work ….if i have software v1.0 and there’s a paid upgrade to v2.0 – i wouldn’t have a 1.0 and a 2.0 …I’d just have a version 2.0 – veteran user …OR new user.

But since it’s being marketed as 2 products, Guildwars base, and guildwars Hot expansion….the perception is completely different.

as an expansion, it’s not a good deal, as an upgrade, it’s normal – simply by perception.

IBM PC XT 4.77mhz w/turbo oc@ 8mhz 640kb windows 3.1 hayes 56k seagate 20 meg HD mda@720x350 pixels

Posted by: joneb.5679

joneb.5679

Im not getting involved in your endless illogical debate. I already made it clear we are owed nothing from Anet and that they are free to not do anything for current customers. I also said its business but I’m the kind of person who believes in human decency and decency over business would mean Anet would give better value on the new HoT expansion only for current customers.

Decency, credibility and affection are also main factors when you monetize on aesthetic content. If a subscription games loses credibility, they still retain the full value of their subscription, as long as players don’t completely quit the game.
When a f2p game with cash shop model loses credibility everyone starts purchasing less.

Correct.

I use forums to give my opinions but I mostly avoid discussing over
them due to those less than polite individuals out there and their offensive attitude.

stof.9341

Yes, it’s possible. It’s happening right now. If you are a new player you get the core game for free if you purchase HoT. You pay for HoT you get the core game for free.

I guess this whole discussion has no meaning because some here make no effort to educate themselves in basic economy, like opportunity costs and the like.

Be careful though, lack of such basic knowledge makes you wide open for marketing scams.

Jongi.7612

So why not raise cain with Blizzard, or Steam. Things lose value over time and also when something new comes out. The free sample also was in reference to bringing new customers, it wasnt to be equal as a complete meal. When you want new people to come to your business you need for them to have a reason to walk in the door. This incentive for new players to try out GW2 is the core game with the purchase of HoT. Sure they could of said “play to level 20 for free” and accomplished the same thing, but at the end of the day its their game, their business. If they want to give out free samples, give out ice cream cones, or give out the core game to new players that is their business choice.

If current customers who already have an investment in the game get an even better deal than new customers, then wheres the sense in that. No one is getting a better deal anywhere in here. No one is paying more money, no one is paying less money, unless you buy a higher bundle. When you buy HoT you get exactly that, if your a new player your getting HoT as well, but the core functionality of the game is also being included which is pretty much all of the old game since you need the maps and such to get to level cap to enter the zones in the first place. Would you rather they just create level 80’s and skip all of what you did?

Posted by: Solori.6025

Solori.6025

To clarify: $50 is the price of the expansion. We included the core game as a free bonus to make it easier for new players to get into it.

Where is this located in the FAQ,Buy page, Terms of purchase?

I’m still waiting on the link from the place where you actually buy HoT, or get information about what you are about to purchase.

I’m sorry to tell you.
It’s advertised and sold as a bundle.
And until the wording changes and refunds go out.
That is a fact. Under the law.
Not an opinion.

The world needs more KUNG FURY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

Jongi.7612

u know, if they called hot an upgrade, it would not be a problem …that’s how upgrades work ….if i have software v1.0 and there’s a paid upgrade to v2.0 – i wouldn’t have a 1.0 and a 2.0 …I’d just have a version 2.0 – veteran user …OR new user.

But since it’s being marketed as 2 products, Guildwars base, and guildwars Hot expansion….the perception is completely different.

as an expansion, it’s not a good deal, as an upgrade, it’s normal – simply by perception.

1 product, people are just making it out to be something it actually isnt which is the entire point.

Arkblue.6129

So why not raise cain with Blizzard, or Steam. Things lose value over time and also when something new comes out.

because one is greater than zero, and Blizzard and steam don’t just gift things to newcomers creating packages with different values for new and older players.
When I purchase a new expansion, I pay it less because I had the previous one: not the full price, but I do retain something based on the fact that part of the product I’m purchasing is already mine.

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

Look, I’m fine with the price if I could automatically play all the content on my current account if I buy the expansion. The thing is is that I either have to buy a character slot or delete one of my characters if I want to try out the revenant, which is part of HoT content. Alternatively, if I decide to not attach HoT to my account, I could get 5 more character slots to play the revenant and bank tabs, easily worth over $50 through the gem store. The “free” game still has value to veterans which is a major sticking point. If I got a free character slot in the expansion, I probably would have ordered it already.

In fact, marketing missed out on a way to sell themed bundles. If they had gone and done basic (1 char slot), adventurer (char slot + bank tab + other stuff advertised), and explorer (char slot + bank tab + crafting material expansion + other stuff advertised), selling it as a way nice convenience bundle and marketing it as you stocking up to explore all the new facets of the game, I probably would have picked up the top bundle instantly. $50 + revenant fees makes me hesitant.

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

(edited by Maugetarr.6823)

Straylight.7529

To clarify: $50 is the price of the expansion. We included the core game as a free bonus to make it easier for new players to get into it.

I’m still waiting on the link from the place where you actually buy HoT, or get information about what you are about to purchase.

I’m sorry to tell you.
Not an opinion.

It’s not sold as a bundle. It simply tries to inform a new player that he gets the core game for free when he purchases HoT. A bundle would be something like “pay 50$ for HoT and you get the core game for a reduced price”, I think Blizzard did this with their WoW-expansions. Even though the content was already out for years people had to purchase it albeit at a reduced price.
In this case they get it for free.
Again, I don’t see why you have a problem with that.

Jongi.7612

I’m sorry to tell you.
Not an opinion.

Your still on about that. People have given you your answer multiple times. Your fishing for a certain answer like a UFO hunter. Its only sold as HoT, ANet has already stated, because someone asked due to being curious and wanted to make sure, that what you just linked but for some reason cant find it.

The information just isnt in the place that you want it to be and everyone would agree that it should be on the buy page. Now drop it.

Posted by: quaniesan.8497

quaniesan.8497

look at that, Mr. Anet’s personal guard is all ganged up. No that I feel sorry. Here’s a little tip: next time, when people are trying to protect your interest (i.e. calling out Anet’s screwups), don’t bark back at the hands that shield you.

If ya no longer see me after this post,
it means THEY got me for " neg criticism in clever disguise".
Know that it has been fun and I love ya all.